PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Packers = 2005 Steelers

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2011, 11:19 PM
It don't mean a hill of beans, but it's interesting nonetheless.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110106/PKR07/110106167/Mike-Vandermause-column-Team-s-similarity-to-05-Steelers-gives-hope

Since the league expanded its playoff field to six teams from each conference in 1990, the Steelers are the only No. 6 seed to win (http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110106/PKR07/110106167/Mike-Vandermause-column-Team-s-similarity-to-05-Steelers-gives-hope#) the Super Bowl.

Similarities between this year’s Packers and the ’05 Steelers are striking.

Both boasted a top-5 defense and a top-10 offense.

Both scored at almost the exact same pace: the Steelers averaged 24.3 points and the Packers 24.2.

Both possessed the third-best quarterback in the NFL based on passer rating: Ben Roethlisberger at 98.6, and Aaron Rodgers at 101.2.

Both turned up the heat on opposing quarterbacks and produced identical sack totals (47).

Both needed to win their final two regular-season games to qualify for the playoffs as wild-card teams.

mraynrand
01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Hopefully we get refs who rule in our favor in the Superbowl and have an underperforming, mistake ridden opponent.

RashanGary
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm buying the Packers as legit contenders, even from the 6 spot.

Since 4th and 26, I haven't been fully excited about a Packers team possibly winning a SB until now. The year we went to the NFCC game, we lucked into Seattle. Jolly and KGB were injured. KGB played, but played like crap after the injury (0 sacks I believe after injury). We were starting to get run on. I had a feeling of hopelessness that the defense would not be able to magically get it together. We started off I think 7-0 that year, but finished weak with some great breaks along the way. I didn't even flinch when we lost to the Giants. I expected it and if not then, I knew it would happen against the Patriots.

This year is different. The defense is playing like legitimate champs and it's every week, not just here and there. Crosby, Masthay and even Tramon have come on down the stretch for ST's. Our penalties are down. The offense has shown some inconsistency, but it's not like the 2007 defense that was consistently trending downward. Nobody will be surprised if we put up 35+. On a good day, that's what you expect.

It could obviously go bad with O and ST's not living up, but unlike 2007 where i had almost no hope of the defense stepping up, I do have hope in the offense now. We could go on a nice run and win a championship with a very similar team to the 2005 Steelers.

As a fan, I'm peaking right now. Can't wait for Sunday!!!!!!!

Joemailman
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Part of me says a team that has lost the players the Packers have lost doesn't make it to the Super Bowl. But then I look at the fact that the Packers could make it to the Super Bowl by beating the Eagles, Falcons and Bears, and I think that's possible. The Packers were 2-2 against those teams in the regular season, and the 2 losses occurred in the final seconds. If the Packers Special Teams hold their own, the Packers are as good as anybody. If they're not, we'll lament a heart-breaking last second loss somewhere along the way.

retailguy
01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
If the Packers Special Teams hold their own, the Packers are as good as anybody. If they're not, we'll lament a heart-breaking last second loss somewhere along the way.

Sunday.