PDA

View Full Version : Vikings to be coached by a bevy of former headcoaches?

Patler
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Apparently, Frazier is scheduled to meet with Josh McDaniel about the OC position (bye, bye Bevell?).
It is reported that he is considering Singletary for his linebackers coach. They were teammates for 5 years in Chicago.

mraynrand
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Singletary drops to LB coach? (assistant HC tag?) Seems like a big drop. Can he get Norv Turner as the TE coach?

red
01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
looks like they're going to take the bears approach to building a staff

Patler
01-07-2011, 11:41 AM
The Packers did it a little, too:

Capers is a former HC, now DC.
Trgovac is a former D-coordinator, now coaching just the D-line.
Celments is a former O-coordinator, now coaching QBs.

and...

Campen was a former head coach, now coaching the O-line.
(high school, NFL, what's the difference?:lol:)

Lurker64
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I like it when the Vikings sign guys who were just fired for incompetence. Maybe they can get Mangini to run the special teams.

Joemailman
01-07-2011, 12:02 PM
A lot of very good coordinators and position coaches make lousy head coaches. Many of them go back to being good coordinators and position coaches.

Smidgeon
01-07-2011, 12:12 PM
A lot of very good coordinators and position coaches make lousy head coaches. Many of them go back to being good coordinators and position coaches.

I'm not worried about Singletary so much (the Vikings LBs have at least been respectable before, and I'm used to being in a division with Urlacher), but McDaniels might worry me a bit. He did well with the Patriots, after all. But as long as they think Webb is their QB of the future or bring in Orton, I have no problem with that. Maybe they can even keep Tavaris around...

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Many of the playoff teams have former HCs as coordinators and/or former Coordinators as position coaches on their staff.

Joemailman
01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Many of the playoff teams have former HCs as coordinators and/or former Coordinators as position coaches on their staff.

You mean like Dom Capers going up against Marty Mornhinweg?

Scott Campbell
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Where is Chilly interviewing?

Joemailman
01-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Where is Chilly interviewing?

Minneapolis Limousine Service http://www.minneapolisvipcoach.com/?gclid=CLrClPDjqKYCFQS7Kgod7noKpA

He has experience picking people up at the airport.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
You mean like Dom Capers going up against Marty Mornhinweg?

Sort of. :)

Mike McCarthy has former HC Dom Capers as DC, former DC Mike Trgovac as DL coach, and former OC Tom Clements as QB coach.
Lovie Smith has former HC Mike Martz as OC, former HC Rod Marinelli as DC, and former HC Mike Tice as OL coach.
Mike Smith has former HC Mike Mularkey as OC, former OC Bill Musgrave as QB coach, and former DC Tim Lewis as DB coach.
Andy Reid has former HC Marty Mornhinweg as OC and former HC Dick Jauron as DB coach.
Sean Payton has former HC Gregg Williams as DC and former HC Joe Vitt as LB coach.

MichiganPackerFan
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
The Packers did it a little, too:

Capers is a former HC, now DC.
Trgovac is a former D-coordinator, now coaching just the D-line.
Celments is a former O-coordinator, now coaching QBs.

and...

Campen was a former head coach, now coaching the O-line.
(high school, NFL, what's the difference?:lol:)

Kevin Green has been a semifinalist for the hall of fame for the last three years too.

denverYooper
01-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Minneapolis Limousine Service http://www.minneapolisvipcoach.com/?gclid=CLrClPDjqKYCFQS7Kgod7noKpA

He has experience picking people up at the airport.

http://jaymckinnon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/dumb-dumber-lloyd-jim-carrey.jpg

Fritz
01-07-2011, 08:04 PM
So many head coaches get fired that it's probably not as uncommon or as big a deal as we might think. Maybe Frazier will get Wayne Fontes as his quarterbacks coach!

mraynrand
01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm shocked to hear the Marty Earwig is being mentioned for Browns head coach. Say it isn't so. Talk about Peter Principle. Didn't he lose the entire Lions team in about three minutes the very first practice? Whatta wacko. Hope he screws up royally on Sunday...