View Full Version : Flynn alreadt being mentioned for trade

red
01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
we might, MIGHT, be able to get something nice for him

from PFT

Harbaugh: “We will install the West Coast offense”
Posted by Evan Silva on January 7, 2011, 8:24 PM EST
Discover Orange Bowl - Stanford v Virginia Tech

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he’s bringing to the Bay Area.

“We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense,” he answered.

Harbaugh’s brand of offense was evident at Stanford in a system that involved a power running game spearheaded by Toby Gerhart, and frequent roll-out passes from quarterback Andrew Luck. The West Coast offense typically requires its passer to be athletic and accurate, and Luck fit the bill with a 70.7 completion rate last season and 453 rushing yards.

The Niners already have a power back in place in tackle-breaking runner Frank Gore, and 235-pound Anthony Dixon as a potential long-term backup. What Harbaugh doesn’t have is a quarterback. David Carr is the only option signed for 2011, and the 31-year-old seems likely to be cut due to a pricey $2.375 million salary.

Alex Smith and Troy Smith’s contracts will expire after the NFL playoffs.

Trade options Harbaugh and Baalke may consider include Green Bay backup Matt Flynn and Philadelphia No. 2 quarterback Kevin Kolb. Bucs backup Josh Johnson has also been heavily rumored as being on the trade block in previous years, and Harbaugh coached Johnson at the University of San Diego before leaving for Stanford.

The 49ers also hold the No. 7 overall pick, where athletic quarterbacks such as Cam Newton and Jake Locker may be available.

Fritz
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't think Jim Harbaugh's style will work in the NFL, unless he tones it down now that he's in the man's league.

hoosier
01-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Until recently Flynn has been seen as a project who is in the process of becoming a good backup option. It is hard for me to believe that one good outing against NE would dispel all of the reservations about his limitations. I could see the Packers getting a later second day draft pick from some team that is auditioning potential QBs but I really can't picture SF giving up anything more than a 4 or a 5 for him. If he sticks around for another year and impresses during TC next summer then maybe his value starts to go up. And it is also going to take Rodgers a while to convince me that the concussions are not going to be a recurring problem. Keep Flynn for now; he's worth more as insurance than as trade bait.

red
01-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Until recently Flynn has been seen as a project who is in the process of becoming a good backup option. It is hard for me to believe that one good outing against NE would dispel all of the reservations about his limitations. I could see the Packers getting a later second day draft pick from some team that is auditioning potential QBs but I really can't picture SF giving up anything more than a 4 or a 5 for him. If he sticks around for another year and impresses during TC next summer then maybe his value starts to go up. And it is also going to take Rodgers a while to convince me that the concussions are not going to be a recurring problem. Keep Flynn for now; he's worth more as insurance than as trade bait.

well, we heard in the preseason that at least one nfl scout thought flynn was the best backup in the nfl. plus i think its been mentioned in some of the broadcasts that he's one of the better ones.

where that came from, i have no clue. but some people out there think he's got something.

and then he damn near beat the best team in the nfl in his first nfl start by showing he knows how to handle an nfl offense.

and its not like this guy is a nobody. he won a national championship with LSU in his only year starting

favre was traded for a first rounder and he was a third stringer with no career starts, who's own coach thought he was more of a joke then anything

hell charle whitehurst was traded for a third round pick

it wouldn't shock me if we got a higher pick for him, and it wouldn't shock me if we got nothing and we just held on to him

mraynrand
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I say we package Flynn with our first round pick, trade to SF, move up in the draft and pick a DE bust!

red
01-07-2011, 08:48 PM
LOL

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobblehead
01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
I say we package Flynn with our first round pick, trade to SF, move up in the draft and pick a DE bust!

Only if his first name is Jamaal or his last name is Reynolds...otherwise no deal.

woodbuck27
01-07-2011, 11:56 PM

San Fran is looking at one of these three QB's in the draft:

Should be gone by their pick (#7) or to get him the 49ers must move up:

Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn - Heisman Trophy winning quarterback of the undefeated No. 1 team in the land. Size, speed, athleticism, arm strength; Newton is as talented a prospect as there is.

Well within their reach the 49er's have a choice of these three:

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri - Good blend of size and overall athleticism for the position. Possesses good leadership intangibles, can make all the NFL-needed throws, and confidently controls his offense.

Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas - Huge arm and massive frame, Mallett is like a tower behind the offensive line. He can make all the throws with some added zip on them, can see the field extremely well.

Jake Locker, QB, Washington - Incredible athlete with all the intangibles you look for in a franchise quarterback. Can make plays with his feet as well as his arm and can single-handedly win football games.

woodbuck27
01-08-2011, 12:23 AM

On your thought:

I'd like TT to see what's developing early and have a deal in place with Washington to trade our pick and if Matt Flynn must go (him) for their #10 and steal RB and Former Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram - Alabama.

GO PACKERS!

sheepshead
01-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Flynn was mentioned well over a year ago when several scouts were quoted as telling their GMs to go after him.

Scott Campbell
01-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Maybe we could trade him to the Vikes for their 3rd. :shock:

Joemailman
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Hoody already has their 3rd.

get louder at lambeau
01-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Well, 1+2=3, so I'd take their first and second instead.

Brandon494
01-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I would prefer we keep him

BallHawk
01-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Until recently Flynn has been seen as a project who is in the process of becoming a good backup option. It is hard for me to believe that one good outing against NE would dispel all of the reservations about his limitations.

See: Rob Johnson

MJZiggy
01-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Flynn stays here at least through next season until we find out whether Rodgers is going to have another concussion. If he's going to be out every now and again, I don't think I want a rookie QB backing him up.

Scott Campbell
01-08-2011, 11:19 AM

Thus my tongue and cheek comment followed by the bug eyed emoticon.

Joemailman
01-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Thus my tongue and cheek comment followed by the bug eyed emoticon.

Oops. I thought you were suggesting the Packers should be able to get as much for Flynn as they did for Favre. Not sure why I would have thought that.:huh:

Tony Oday
01-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Cam Newton will be a bigger bust than Jermarcus Russel. He will be TERRIBLE in the NFL.

Scott Campbell
01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Oops. I thought you were suggesting the Packers should be able to get as much for Flynn as they did for Favre. Not sure why I would have thought that.:huh:

Since when have I not been 100% objective when it comes to Bert Farve?

Brandon494
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Cam Newton will be a bigger bust than Jermarcus Russel. He will be TERRIBLE in the NFL.

Your crazy. Dude reminds me of a much bigger Steve Mcnair.

Joemailman
01-08-2011, 11:50 AM

How do you become a bigger bust than Jamarcus Russell? Eat until you weigh 400 pounds?

MJZiggy
01-08-2011, 11:57 AM
How do you become a bigger bust than Jamarcus Russell? Eat until you weigh 400 pounds?
You have to do that and then go on Biggest Loser.

pbmax
01-08-2011, 11:58 AM
See: Rob Johnson

Nice recall Ballhawk. I went and looked him up and it was just that one start for Jax (versus the Ravens) in 1997 before his Buffalo deal.

Joemailman
01-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Nice recall Ballhawk. I went and looked him up and it was just that one start for Jax (versus the Ravens) in 1997 before his Buffalo deal.

I was thinking Jim Del Gaizo. He looked good in one backup role in 1972 for Miami, prompting Dan Devine to give up 2 2nd round picks for him. In 1973 he completed 27 of 62 passes for 318 yards with 2 TD's and 6 INT's for a passer rating of 30.9. Ah, those were the days.

Bossman641
01-08-2011, 02:10 PM
On your thought:

I'd like TT to see what's developing early and have a deal in place with Washington to trade our pick and if Matt Flynn must go (him) for their #10 and steal RB and Former Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram - Alabama.

GO PACKERS!

Ingram at 10? I think that will be a little high for him.

red
01-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Your crazy. Dude reminds me of a much bigger Steve Mcnair.

i also thing cam isn't gonna make it as a pro

i call bullshit that he didn't know his dad was fishing for money. proof to me that he doesn't give a shit about rules.

then on the field, from what i see he's a look for the run first type of QB, just like tebow last year. plus he runs this gimmicky option/spread type of thing, not a pro style offense

i see him as being a big time project. he's got the tools, but how long will it take to turn him into a pro QB, and can he even do it

Lurker64
01-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Ingram at 10? I think that will be a little high for him.

Ingram will probably last until the 20s, anyway. In theory, we could get him with our natural pick. Or we could just trade up from #32.

swede
01-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I was thinking Jim Del Gaizo. He looked good in one backup role in 1972 for Miami, prompting Dan Devine to give up 2 2nd round picks for him. In 1973 he completed 27 of 62 passes for 318 yards with 2 TD's and 6 INT's for a passer rating of 30.9. Ah, those were the days.

You know, Joe, in a few years these kind of recollections will be just like when Grandpa Majckiowcz would tell us about Arnie Herber and Mike Michalske.

rbaloha1
01-08-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think Jim Harbaugh's style will work in the NFL, unless he tones it down now that he's in the man's league.

Joe Montana was on the Dan Patrick Show mentioning when his son was being recruited by Stanford that Harbaugh used the exact same plays and terminology as Coach Walsh. Obviously wanted his son to attend Stanford.

Combine with a power running game (something MM has failed to install consistently) and Harbaugh's wco shall work in the NFL. Haurbaugh's offense is what MM has failed to do. Maybe MM can learn Haurbaugh's running plays.

rbaloha1
01-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Lets trade him. MM is good at developing qbs -- another is lurking in the late rounds. Also must bring in a veteran qb.

Jimx29
01-08-2011, 06:22 PM
let's unload him and then real soon after Arod can have his next career ending concussion. That way DD can run our team

Lurker64
01-08-2011, 07:01 PM
let's unload him and then real soon after Arod can have his next career ending concussion. That way DD can run our team

Well, how much are you going to pay him to extend his contract to be the backup? The reason to trade him is not that we don't need a backup QB, it's that his contract expires after the 2011 season and if he's a UFA he will almost certainly not be able to be retained by the Packers. Might as well get something for him while you can, right? A 2011 2nd is a lot more valuable to the Packers than a 2013 3rd (which is the max compensatory they'd get for losing Flynn in free agency).

Smidgeon
01-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Joe Montana was on the Dan Patrick Show mentioning when his son was being recruited by Stanford that Harbaugh used the exact same plays and terminology as Coach Walsh. Obviously wanted his son to attend Stanford.

Combine with a power running game (something MM has failed to install consistently) and Harbaugh's wco shall work in the NFL. Haurbaugh's offense is what MM has failed to do. Maybe MM can learn Haurbaugh's running plays.

So M3's offense is deficient?

Scott Campbell
01-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Well, how much are you going to pay him to extend his contract to be the backup? The reason to trade him is not that we don't need a backup QB, it's that his contract expires after the 2011 season and if he's a UFA he will almost certainly not be able to be retained by the Packers. Might as well get something for him while you can, right?

Or keep him and settle for a compensatory pick.

rbaloha1
01-08-2011, 07:31 PM
So M3's offense is deficient?

Its good. Need more consistent running though.

Lurker64
01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Or keep him and settle for a compensatory pick.

Depends on what you can get for him. The most you can get for him in a compensatory is a 2013 third round pick, by common reckoning that's worth roughly a 2011 5th round pick. If you could get, say, a 2nd round draft pick for Flynn this year, you'd have to really consider that wouldn't you?

Scott Campbell
01-08-2011, 08:51 PM
A second rounder?

Done!

bobblehead
01-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Doesn't ballhawk claim to have been like 4 years old in 1997?

Bretsky
01-08-2011, 09:28 PM
REALITY CHECK; we aren't getting much for him this year; teams are looking to move other QB's

we might garner a 4th IMO and I think we're better off keeping him for that

pbmax
01-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Two years as an NFL QB coach and now he is guaranteed to run a top 5 offense in the NFL?

He might want to find a QB first.

pbmax
01-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Doesn't ballhawk claim to have been like 4 years old in 1997?

That's why I was checking him. I thought he was wrong. :)

Lurker64
01-08-2011, 10:17 PM
REALITY CHECK; we aren't getting much for him this year; teams are looking to move other QB's

we might garner a 4th IMO and I think we're better off keeping him for that

The Seahawks gave up a 3rd round pick for Charlie Whitehurst last offseason, and Whitehurst had never actually appeared in an NFL game at the time. The need for QBs so vastly outstrips the demand, the prices for these things are ridiculous.

Scott Campbell
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
The Seahawks gave up a 3rd round pick for Charlie Whitehurst last offseason, and Whitehurst had never actually appeared in an NFL game at the time. The need for QBs so vastly outstrips the demand, the prices for these things are ridiculous.

Matt Cassell was had for a 2nd.

Bretsky
01-08-2011, 10:27 PM
but there weren't many QB's on the block last year. There are three legit 1st rounders coming out of the draft, the Skins are going to dump McNabb, and Vince Young is free. I doubt there is a high demmand for Flynn

Lurker64
01-08-2011, 10:37 PM
but there weren't many QB's on the block last year. There are three legit 1st rounders coming out of the draft, the Skins are going to dump McNabb, and Vince Young is free. I doubt there is a high demmand for Flynn

Matt Flynn is much, much more ready to be the starting quarterback for an effective NFL offense than Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett, or Cameron Newton. Hell, Joe Webb is more ready to be the starting quarterback for an effective NFL offense than that lot. McNabb is old and busted, and Vince Young is a headcase. Getting a high third round pick for Flynn isn't totally outside the realm of possibility.

Bretsky
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
IMO getting a high 3rd is a pipe dream this year............one IMO I'd jump at in a second though.

Teams are valuing their picks more and more. We thought Spitz might pull something and it appeared teams only offered us a 6th. I honestly thought we might pull a 4th.

Matt Cassell has a much higher pedigree than Flynn. The Whitehurst trade was almost laughable and quite a heist at the time for San Diego. I think Seattle felt desperate but boy did they get flamed for giving up what they did.

RashanGary
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Matt Flynn is a good quarter back. I think he'll win a lot of games in the NFL. If teams decide a high 3rd round pick is too rich for Matt Flynn, then they're making a mistake. I don't know if I'd even give him up for that.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't trade him for less than a second. If no one bits then you get at less one more year with a decent backup QB. If he leaves for free agency after that its probably becuase some team is paying him to come in and try and start and in that case you will probably get a 3rd for him the following year if he plays half decent. Lets not be s quick to dumb players who have potential.

mission
01-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Teams are valuing their picks more and more. We thought Spitz might pull something and it appeared teams only offered us a 6th. I honestly thought we might pull a 4th..

Jason Spitz? Come on, Bretskiz! The guy was/is/always will be a joker.

You're talking about a backup guard versus a potential starting NFL QB. Teams take huge chances on QBs who have shown any sign that they can win (at whatever level) and grasp the NFL speed. The values there are completely different. No one in their right mind thought we would get a 4th rounder for Jason Spitz and using him to project Matt Flynn's trade value just doesn't work. Come on maaaaaan!!! :)

rbaloha1
01-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Two years as an NFL QB coach and now he is guaranteed to run a top 5 offense in the NFL?

He might want to find a QB first.

Just wait. There is a reason NFL teams wanted Harbaugh as a head coach.

Ever watch Stanford play? Its probably the most NFL offense amongst BCS teams.

pbmax
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Perhaps. But look at the teams who wanted him. Stephen Ross cannot get out of his own way and has paid the Tuna for not working for him, in addition to bungling the coach negotiations. Elway and Denver are imploding and cannot even get A-list coaches to interview (I saw else where Capers is supposed to be a target but no on else has this) and San Francisco has a 20 something in charge who thought Mike Singletary was ready to be an NFL head coach. Stanford's interest is self explanatory, he can clearly coach in college, but the rock start status for the NFL openings was overdone, even if he does succeed.

esoxx
01-09-2011, 12:21 PM

The problem is he'll be playing against NFL defenses, not Oregon State. It won't be easy for him and with the burden of expectations we could see a train wreck just as easily as success.

rbaloha1
01-09-2011, 02:29 PM
The problem is he'll be playing against NFL defenses, not Oregon State. It won't be easy for him and with the burden of expectations we could see a train wreck just as easily as success.

Oregon State has a first round dt. Some guys are born NFL head coaches -- the Harbaugh family has two.
BTW did you watch what Stanford did against VA Tech?

Scott Campbell
01-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Oregon State has a first round dt. Some guys are born NFL head coaches -- the Harbaugh family has two.
BTW did you watch what Stanford did against VA Tech?

Way to channel your inner Partial.

Lurker64
01-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Trivia question. Name as many coaches as you can who made the transition from "successful college head coach" to "successful pro head coach".

I'll give you Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh to start with, and Walsh is borderline with only 2 years in college.

Bossman641
01-09-2011, 03:19 PM
It's ridiculous to consider Harbaugh a sure thing. Not many college coaches have the same success at the pro level.

retailguy
01-09-2011, 03:22 PM
It's ridiculous to consider Harbaugh a sure thing. Not many college coaches have the same success at the pro level.

It's also ridiculous to dismiss him because some college coaches don't make it in the NFL.

red
01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Trivia question. Name as many coaches as you can who made the transition from "successful college head coach" to "successful pro head coach".

I'll give you Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh to start with, and Walsh is borderline with only 2 years in college.

does pete carroll count? he had a losing first season, but he did win a playoff game

rbaloha1
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM

From your leading question its probably small. Harbaugh is an exception if the number is indeed small.

wootah
01-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Matt Cassell was had for a 2nd.

Cassell was franchised and with Brady returning from injury, hoody had to trade him and everyone in the league knew it. The Flynn situation is completely different. He's dirt cheap for us and we're one helmet-to-helmet hit away of having to replace our franchise QB. The offer has to be REALLY nice for Ted to shop him.

pack4to84
01-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Cassell was franchised and with Brady returning from injury, hoody had to trade him and everyone in the league knew it. The Flynn situation is completely different. He's dirt cheap for us and we're one helmet-to-helmet hit away of having to replace our franchise QB. The offer has to be REALLY nice for Ted to shop him.
I am with you on this. No way TT trades Flynn for anything less then a 2nd rd pick. If I am the 49ers I would pull the trigger for Flynn.

ZachMN
01-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Flynn for Larry Fitzgerald! We need a tall receiver who can go up high for jump balls

pbmax
01-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Cassell played for an entire year.

Bretsky
01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Cassell played for an entire year.

Ditto
And now Kevin Kolb will be out there as well; it's not a good yr to shop a QB
Still doubt we get an offer any higher than a 4

HarveyWallbangers
01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
My guess is that we could easily get a 3rd round pick for Flynn. Go back to the JSO article from the beginning of the year where many scouts thought Flynn was the best backup in the game. A lot of us were surprised. Now, add game film where Flynn played a very solid game at New England, and I'm sure Flynn is very intriguing to some teams.

Tarlam!
01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I am with you on this. No way TT trades Flynn for anything less then a 2nd rd pick. If I am the 49ers I would pull the trigger for Flynn.

This.......

Flynn for Larry Fitzgerald! We need a tall receiver who can go up high for jump balls

and definitely this!

RashanGary
01-10-2011, 10:22 AM
My guess is that we could easily get a 3rd round pick for Flynn. Go back to the JSO article from the beginning of the year where many scouts thought Flynn was the best backup in the game. A lot of us were surprised. Now, add game film where Flynn played a very solid game at New England, and I'm sure Flynn is very intriguing to some teams.

And I wouldn't trade him for a 3rd. He gives us a shot to get in the playoffs if we lose Rodgers for 4 or 6 weeks next year. Plus, if he's worth a 3rd to another team now, he's probably worth a decent contract to them when he hits UFA. If he gets a decent contract in UFA, we'd get a compensatory pick for him so trading him now, when we need him makes even less sense.

I'd do it for a 2nd round pick and in my unprofessional football opinion, I think he's worth it. But, I see Bretsky's side too. We're probably not going to get that offer so the best bet is to just keep him for another year and get maybe a comp 4th rounder when he leaves in UFA.

My money is on Flynn being a Packer again next year but it's no sure bet. Some team may love him. We already know at least one team likes him a lot.

rbaloha1
01-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Its possible. Kevin Kolb could also be available.