PDA

View Full Version : Who needs to step it up?

CaptainKickass
01-08-2011, 12:47 AM

First off - I'm incredibly surprised at the lack of overconfident kool-aid and testosterone riddled threads, blindly declaring us the winner of the Philly game before it starts, based solely on the fact that we've made the playoffs. How times have changed.

With that said - I feel that right now, our weakest link is the Wide Receivers. Certainly they've had production, but that production has huge peaks and valleys across games this season. I would really like to see them all step up their consistency. There's times like these where a team really needs a leader. A guy with a story who has seen many a challenge and has a reputation for overcoming adversity. Of course there's one man I look to to spark this particular group in the playoffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCcvKloTiik

Much like in the Movie Half Baked - when in the midst of a fight, Brian summoned up Jerry Garcia from the bag of ashes he bought from Barry Garcia (No Barry wasn't Jerry Garcia's brother, he was actually Andy Garcia's brother).

He said "Barry, we neeeed you man"

I feel like we need the 'ol wily veteran we quaintly refer to as "Double D" to come into this game on fire. He also needs to have everyones back and show them how it's done. I feel he's the ONLY receiver on the team with significant enough playoff experience to be able to pull the rest of the guys through. It all starts with making the sure catch.

Come on Double D, we neeed you man!

steve823
01-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Completely agree that DD needs to step it up. I would also add Bulaga into the mix. Yea he's a rookie, but can't put the team in bad situations with all his penalties.

Brandon494
01-08-2011, 02:45 AM
The running game as a whole.

easy cheesy
01-08-2011, 03:04 AM
EVERYBODY needs to step it up... The "Iggles" took out the Giants, who led with 21 points going into the fourth quarter, and it was basically all VICK who rocked them.....time to unleash the other "dawgs".... where oh where are you mraynrand??? Time to snip at some ankles..... ***woof woof*** GO PACK GO!!! CONTAINMENT AND CONQUER!

woodbuck27
01-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Completely agree that DD needs to step it up. I would also add Bulaga into the mix. Yea he's a rookie, but can't put the team in bad situations with all his penalties.

fr: http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110107/PKR01/110107134/0/graphics/Insider--Packers-were-most-competitive-team-of-the-season

Thumbs down

There’s nothing in rookie Bryan Bulaga’s body of work to suggest he isn’t the Packers’ left tackle of the future, whenever Chad Clifton finally runs out of gas.

He has shown many of the same things this season, filling in at right tackle, that he did coming out of Iowa. He has shown the ability to play with good balance and bend and has good recovery skills when he gets himself in a compromising position — all essential qualities for a starting tackle.

But the Packers are going to need him to play better this week than he did against the Bears last week, when he had four penalties (two holds and two false starts). Bulaga deserves some leeway because he was often going against Julius Peppers, a defensive player of the year candidate.

However, a similar performance in Sunday’s playoff game at Philadelphia could doom the Packers’ offense.

Bulaga likely will see defensive end Juqua Parker the majority of the time, which is a break because he’s the weaker of the Eagles’ starting defensive ends. Trent Cole, who plays the right defensive end, is the better pass rusher of the two.

Turn it up Packers. GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-08-2011, 06:13 AM
EVERYBODY needs to step it up... The "Iggles" took out the Giants, who led with 21 points going into the fourth quarter, and it was basically all VICK who rocked them.....time to unleash the other "dawgs".... where oh where are you mraynrand??? Time to snip at some ankles..... ***woof woof*** GO PACK GO!!! CONTAINMENT AND CONQUER!

It all comes down to 60 minutes of totally focused football on both sides of the ball; confidence/conditioning passed on fr. solid coaching and overall preparation.

A total team attitude ... ' BELIEVING in THE TEAM '.

NO FEAR in Philly. GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Our running game will not be as good as it might be with Aaron Rodgers set free. He has to 'dial in to protecting himself' and longer term aspirations this season. As a result we need a solid performance fr. the OL.

Hopefully TT gets it done to afford us a more balanced atttack on 'O'. A better advantage in terms of clock control this off season. That TT gets a more dominant RB; to take the heat off the passing attack.

We'll go with the best we've got on 'O' and that's good to excellent as long as Aaron Rodgers can do his thing and find receivers. Again, our OL has to play very well Vs Philly.

GO PACK GO !

Patler
01-08-2011, 08:01 AM
I think it is mostly the receivers who have to step up, because that is where the offense is this year. A running game isn't likely to appear miraculously in post season.

The receivers have to catch the ball and hold on to it. The Packers can't have 3, 4, 5 drops as they have had a few times this year. They can't have Jennings and Jones dropping likely TD passes put right into their hands. They can't have receivers turning potential TDs into interceptions like Jennings did. They can't have receivers making big catches, then fumbling when tackled like Nelson, Driver and Jones have.

You can't squander scoring opportunities in the playoffs.

Scott Campbell
01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Bulaga, Quarless, Shields, Starks. I have little patience for any rookie shit now that the regular season is over.

vince
01-08-2011, 08:26 AM
You gotta think Shields will be challenged tomorrow. He's held up pretty well thus far, but he needs to keep it up.

Mazzin
01-08-2011, 08:32 AM
I know they have played excellent, BUT it may be to obvious to say the LB's and the DL they REALLY need to step their game up.....DUH haha

gbgary
01-08-2011, 09:32 AM
the o-line. if the D can't hold up, the game will need to become a shoot-out. AR will need time!

pbmax
01-08-2011, 09:44 AM

First off - I'm incredibly surprised at the lack of overconfident kool-aid and testosterone riddled threads, blindly declaring us the winner of the Philly game before it starts, based solely on the fact that we've made the playoffs. How times have changed.

With that said - I feel that right now, our weakest link is the Wide Receivers. Certainly they've had production, but that production has huge peaks and valleys across games this season. I would really like to see them all step up their consistency. There's times like these where a team really needs a leader. A guy with a story who has seen many a challenge and has a reputation for overcoming adversity. Of course there's one man I look to to spark this particular group in the playoffs:

HOLY DRIVER VIDEO WAS HERE

Much like in the Movie Half Baked - when in the midst of a fight, Brian summoned up Jerry Garcia from the bag of ashes he bought from Barry Garcia (No Barry wasn't Jerry Garcia's brother, he was actually Andy Garcia's brother).

He said "Barry, we neeeed you man"

I feel like we need the 'ol wily veteran we quaintly refer to as "Double D" to come into this game on fire. He also needs to have everyones back and show them how it's done. I feel he's the ONLY receiver on the team with significant enough playoff experience to be able to pull the rest of the guys through. It all starts with making the sure catch.

Come on Double D, we neeed you man!

Apropos of nothing, "shiny helmet" has got to be one of the best single line lyrics in any song lyric. Ever.

But the OLB opposite Matthews must step up in the run game. LeSean Jackson has said the Eagles will try to run more than the previous game. With Vick, Maclin and Jackson to worry about, Capers will be in nickel much of the game. And that means Walden has to hold the edge better than he did versus the Bears, when they ran Forte at him twice early for 60 some total yards. I would not be stunned to see Jenkins standing up here on early down.

Capers said Jenkins would be in some sub packages, but he cannot play all 50-60 nickel plays (if I am right about nickel being the new base). I suspect he will get specific time against certain down and distance. This will only work temporarily, because as soon as the Eagles see it, they will throw 3 WRs over there and try to get him in coverage.

ND72
01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
The confidence we will win reminds me of last year...everyone had the cardinal game written off.

Step up? Entire OL, entire defense, and our entire special teams. I just can't give one player, whole team needs to.

get louder at lambeau
01-08-2011, 09:54 AM
I'll go with the TEs. Step up. Do something. Please.

And on the other side of the ball, Charles Woodson. Please don't fall down more than once tomorrow. We need you on your feet, tomahawking the ball out of people's hands.

Iron Mike
01-08-2011, 09:54 AM
I think Skinbasket needs to step it up, now that the Garbage Can is open for business.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/7/30/1538e2e8-7687-4d33-ab5e-355beae3eeda.jpg

Fritz
01-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I think the Rats posters need to step it up, big time. Bretsky needs a seriously considered, lengthy post explaining exactly why the Pack has no chance. I am not watching the game with the friend of mine that jinxes me. I refuse to go over to my other friend's house to watch the game because every time I do, they lose.

Who's the thread-starter? Is it going to be Tar?

PB needs to start a "Read This and Learn" thread.

Skinbasket needs to make some comments on Bigby.

Mad needs just a few choice comments about how the Eagles QB is worth a couple interceptions.

bobblehead
01-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Man its good to be the QB. I watched that game and a certain punt returner had just a little bit to do with the win.

easy cheesy
01-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Man its good to be the QB. I watched that game and a certain punt returner had just a little bit to do with the win.

Yes they did... just a wee bit.... STILL.. CONTAIN VICK.... and .... ahem... GO PACK GO!!!!!

bobblehead
01-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I have the entire crew over tomorrow. 4 of us who went to college together and moved to vegas together will watch the game at my place. We were all together for the giants in '07, but we broke that jinx by all being together for the last 2 games.

We hope to do this 4 times yet this year.

MJZiggy
01-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I think the Rats posters need to step it up, big time. Bretsky needs a seriously considered, lengthy post explaining exactly why the Pack has no chance. I am not watching the game with the friend of mine that jinxes me. I refuse to go over to my other friend's house to watch the game because every time I do, they lose.

Who's the thread-starter? Is it going to be Tar?

PB needs to start a "Read This and Learn" thread.

Skinbasket needs to make some comments on Bigby.

Mad needs just a few choice comments about how the Eagles QB is worth a couple interceptions.

Bretsky's on a roll--his thread. Don't mess with greatness.

Kiwon
01-08-2011, 11:34 AM
1. Definitely the receivers need to step up. Block, run the correct route, be ready for the hot route and catch the balls thrown to them.

2. If A-Rod runs, slide, slide, slide.

Tony Oday
01-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Slide Slide Slippidy Slide!!!

CMIII, BJ Raji and Woodson need to step up. This is the time of the year the elite players need to step up and play elite....2 sacks for CMIII, Pick and Sack for Woodson and 80 yards rushing by the Iggles for BJ...we win then!

Pugger
01-08-2011, 01:04 PM
We cannot turn the ball over, allow Vick to run wild and let their ST have big plays. If we do these things I like our chances.

retailguy
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Which OL is going to show up tomorrow?

Joemailman
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Which OL is going to show up tomorrow?

To this point, I think Bulaga and Colledge need to step up. When Colledge plays well, the Packers can run the ball well enough to make play action effective. Bulaga has had the ups and downs that many rookies have. He needs to be up.

rbaloha1
01-08-2011, 03:29 PM

Agree.

rbaloha1
01-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Agree

hawaii50
01-08-2011, 07:39 PM
my vote goes to the entire o-line. give a-rod time to throw and he can pick the eagles defense apart and control the clock. keep vick off the field, tire out their defense.