PDA

View Full Version : Vick running to his right

hawaii50
01-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Does anyone remember the first eagles-giants game this year where I think Collinsworth noted that when Vick rolls to his right he does not like to pass and is also much more inaccurate as a passer?

I was thinking this might play a key role in Capers' game plan, and I wonder if we'll see Matthews lined up as ROLB more than usual to flush Vick to his right? Pressure from Vick's left will cause him to scramble, which 1) can be dangerous for us, but 2) might cause him to take unnecessary hits that will wear him down.

Just something to watch out for tomorrow.

esoxx
01-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Vick is much more dangerous run/pass going to the left and this will certainly be a key factor in the D scheme. Another huge deal is having gap discipline and not having anyone trying to be hero getting outside of their assignment which would open lanes for Vick. Packers have been very good all year at gap discipline and I expect this to continue tomorrow. If not, they'll be problems.

pittstang5
01-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Vick is much more dangerous run/pass going to the left and this will certainly be a key factor in the D scheme. Another huge deal is having gap discipline and not having anyone trying to be hero getting outside of their assignment which would open lanes for Vick. Packers have been very good all year at gap discipline and I expect this to continue tomorrow. If not, they'll be problems.

...and pad level, don't forget PAD LEVEL!

bobblehead
01-08-2011, 09:24 PM
This reminds me of when partial (and others) criticized ARod for only running to his right. No QB can throw the ball effectively running away from his throwing arm (see: left handed shortstops). The only key here is that Vick is so damn dangerous running it becomes imperative to limit his throwing options. My guess is that they will bring Wood from the slot to flush him right and then use a collapsing pocket where everyone MUST contain the edge and their gaps.

pbmax
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Rodgers and Favre both run designed pass plays rolling to their left. Its not as easy, but if prepared and practiced, it can be done. Vick spends much more time preparing to stay in the pocket, so his natural tendency when going off-hand (right) is reinforced.

packerbacker1234
01-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Pretty obvious really. He's left handed - rolling out to his right makes it harder to square the shoulders and make an accurate pass. Same is true of Rodgers rolling out to the left. Stats mos tlikely show Rodgers is less accurate rolling left than rolling right. It's just the nature of the human body.

Vick is naturally more inclinded to run when forced right then to throw. However, he is so good at running that it can sometimes be a bad thing. Still, it does take away an option. Vick, overall, isn't good at throwing with a lot of pressure in his face, but sometimes that is when his legs and his running ability comes into play. Vick is really good, but he still has some work to do with throwing fromt he pocket.

Still, he's beaten us before at our house with a worse team. We'll see what happens. Claymaker has gotta get to him a coupel times to make him skittish.

vince
01-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Everyone in the league knows this and tries to force him to scramble right rather than left. He'll still escape to the left because he's not easy to contain.

vince
01-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm a bit concerned about how the Packers D, particularly Woodson, matches up with the Eagles' offense. If the Packers play all nickel like they did in week 1, the Eagles may well have success running the ball. If the Packers go base, I think they can shut down the run, but then Woodson has to play outside on the corner in coverage, where he's been beat this year and has had a lot of penalties at times.

I think they'll go mostly nickel and have Woodson in run support and blitzing with Shields and Williams on the outside to match up with the Philly speed outside. Hopefully, they can slow down the Eagles' run game.

Fritz
01-09-2011, 10:14 AM
That's a scary offense. Maclin, Jackson, Vick...geez. I hope the defense steps up today. And special teams. And offense.

pbmax
01-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm a bit concerned about how the Packers D, particularly Woodson, matches up with the Eagles' offense. If the Packers play all nickel like they did in week 1, the Eagles may well have success running the ball. If the Packers go base, I think they can shut down the run, but then Woodson has to play outside on the corner in coverage, where he's been beat this year and has had a lot of penalties at times.

I think they'll go mostly nickel and have Woodson in run support and blitzing with Shields and Williams on the outside to match up with the Philly speed outside. Hopefully, they can slow down the Eagles' run game.

Reid's history is that he will continue to throw. But he has to know that if he can get the Packers to retreat to base D, he can do anything he wants against Woodson and avoid a lot of the pressure packages. Much will depend on the tenor of the game, whether the Packers can score early.

esoxx
01-09-2011, 11:11 AM
That's a scary offense. Maclin, Jackson, Vick...geez. I hope the defense steps up today. And special teams. And offense.

What is not scary is their offensive line, especially the middle of the line. Not scary at all. If games are truly won in the trenches, we should be fine.

vince
01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah. Capers always says stopping the run is job 1, but so is eliminating the big play. They've shown pretty consistently this year they'll take their chances playing a lot of nickel and not being as good vs. the run.

Given Reid's propensity to throw, Vick's weakness picking up blitzes and the need to stop the big play, it would seem to point to a lot of nickel today.

I can't wait for this game.

MadtownPacker
01-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Just keep hitting his bitch ass! For all his athletic skills vick has never impressed me with toughness. In fact he seems kinda breakable. Send the house after him like they are the IRS coming for their money.

rbaloha1
01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
This reminds me of when partial (and others) criticized ARod for only running to his right. No QB can throw the ball effectively running away from his throwing arm (see: left handed shortstops). The only key here is that Vick is so damn dangerous running it becomes imperative to limit his throwing options. My guess is that they will bring Wood from the slot to flush him right and then use a collapsing pocket where everyone MUST contain the edge and their gaps.

Disagree. Favre could make all the throws moving to the left. Depends on athleticism and arm strength. Reid could early in the game calls plays rolling Vick to the right and throwing.

Gap integrity is key which is a Packers strength.

rbaloha1
01-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Just keep hitting his bitch ass! For all his athletic skills vick has never impressed me with toughness. In fact he seems kinda breakable. Send the house after him like they are the IRS coming for their money.

Whines a bunch. Need to hit early and often.