PDA

View Full Version : C-Woodson 2.0 hitting Free Agency

packers11
01-09-2011, 11:29 AM
ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that Nnamdi Asomugha's contract has voided, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Asomugha's contract contained a complicated clause that essentially voided the contract if the star cornerback failed to achieve certain incentives. The clause also does not allow the Raiders to slap him with the franchise tag. He'll enter free agency as the biggest name defensive player on the market. Jan. 9 - 11:27 am et

do the Raiders ever learn??? Keep good and proven players :shock:

Lurker64
01-09-2011, 11:32 AM
ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that Nnamdi Asomugha's contract has voided, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Asomugha's contract contained a complicated clause that essentially voided the contract if the star cornerback failed to achieve certain incentives. The clause also does not allow the Raiders to slap him with the franchise tag. He'll enter free agency as the biggest name defensive player on the market. Jan. 9 - 11:27 am et

do the Raiders ever learn??? Keep good and proven players :shock:

Considering the contract they had to give Asomugha to keep him the last time, they would probably need to pay him more than Manning or Brady to keep him going forward. He's not averse to staying in Oakland, he just needs to be paid a king's ransom.

rbaloha1
01-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Tempting. IMO Packers are fine at cb.

Lurker64
01-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Also, the key difference is that Woodson was not a hot commodity coming out of Oakland. The perception was that his career was on the downside and he had relatively few suitors, and about half of them wanted to sign him to play Safety. This is not going to be the case with Asomugha.

Scott Campbell
01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Completely different type of player, so I don't see the Chuck 2.0 connection. Other than him working for Crazy Al.

HUGE free agent prize.

Tony Oday
01-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Some team will be dumb and give him a kings ransom and mortgage the rest of the team...

packers11
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
It was a chuck 2.0 connection because the Raiders let an all-pro corner walk once and deeply regretted it... Many Raider fans that I know still talk about C.Woodson in the highest regard to this day...

red
01-09-2011, 12:31 PM
i have a feeling he'll break haynsworths record for biggest contract ever

Bretsky
01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Free Agency never works; and Julius Peppers Blows !

Scott Campbell
01-09-2011, 01:09 PM

The reigning NFC Defensive Player of the Week is proof that it does work. Thanks Ted!

Brandon494
01-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Skins will sign him

vince
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Just passing it along...
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/asomugha_sets_sights_on_jets_packers/3941393

Asomugha sets sights on Jets, Packers

Written by Chris Kolb

Now that Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha has surprisingly found a way out of his contract with Oakland, his potential landing spots are beginning to shape up, as those who know him well are offering up their predictions.

According to former Raiders beat writer David White (now with the San Francisco Chronicle), Asomugha has long wanted to play for a proven winner, and his next home will likely come down to two locales: Green Bay and New York. The main motivating factor for a move to the Packers is Asomugha’s close friendship with standout cornerback Charles Woodson, and while it would seem that there wouldn’t be much in the way of space for him with the Jets, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them unload another player or two to make room for Asomugha next season.

A return back to Oakland is almost assuredly not in the cards, although it’s possible that Raiders owner Al Davis pulls out the stops and offers Asomugha another major contract to keep him in the fold. In any case, the team that does end up landing Asomugha will undoubtedly have to fork over one of the largest contracts in the history of the NFL, given his proven skill at a premium position.

mraynrand
01-10-2011, 08:42 PM

I see what you did there. SC didn't?

retailguy
01-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Wonder if Woodson is ready to move to safety? Otherwise he'd be a pretty expensive nickel back. lol

swede
01-10-2011, 09:01 PM
With Asomugha, Tramon Williams, Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, and Sam Shields the Packers would never come out of the Nickel defense.

pbmax
01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
With Asomugha, Tramon Williams, Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, and Sam Shields the Packers would never come out of the Nickel defense.

Don't forget Bigby!

Would there be any irony in losing Jenkins and replacing him with a CB?

BTW, I believe Yardbarker as much as I believe the Weekly World News.

swede
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
The only way to get a player like Asomugha is to overspend. It could happen. (No it couldn't)

We'll just have to draft the "next" Asomugha somewhere along the way.

pbmax
01-10-2011, 09:23 PM
We'll just have to draft the "next" Asomugha somewhere along the way.

Here he is!

http://chrisnavin.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/batboy.gif

Guiness
01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Very strange indeed how that contract was voided. The clause read like it was a way for Oakland to get out of it if he didn't live up to expectations, but instead of giving them an out if they wanted it, it let him out of the contract.

I think the price tag this guy will demand is prohibitive as far as being able to have money to spend on other positions to put a competitive team on the field. He gets the QB franchise #? Ridiculous, CB is important, but not as much as a QB is.

MadtownPacker
01-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Fuck it, sign him and no one will be able to pass the ball for shit against the D. Almost that way as it is.

Packers4Glory
01-11-2011, 09:39 AM
You could get him and move Woodson to safety which I think they are considering at some point.

IMO you can never spend too much on your Oline and your defense.

Tarlam!
01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Wonder if Woodson is ready to move to safety? Otherwise he'd be a pretty expensive nickel back. lol

Fuck it, sign him and no one will be able to pass the ball for shit against the D. Almost that way as it is.

This, and that.

Plus, TT has a knack for getting players on incentive heavy deals that have a way of not invoking jealousy in the locker room. He may have a high price tag, but if his guaranteed money expectations are reasonable, he might be in G&G next season.

Smeefers
01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
If the guy wants to get a super bowl ring, he's going to have to take a pay cut. That's how it works, everyone knows it. There's no way on God's green earth that Thompson would overspend on anyone. He'd give him a fair deal, but Thompson's idea of a fair deal and Asumnugazuntites are most likely very different things. I'd love to get him though, and if we do, it's super bowl or bust.

Tarlam!
01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the forum, Smeefers! Hope you enjoy yourself!

mraynrand
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
If the guy wants to get a super bowl ring, he's going to have to take a pay cut. That's how it works, everyone knows it. There's no way on God's green earth that Thompson would overspend on anyone. He'd give him a fair deal, but Thompson's idea of a fair deal and Asumnugazuntites are most likely very different things. I'd love to get him though, and if we do, it's super bowl or bust.

'Asumnugazuntites' is awesome. Plus, I agree. If the guy really thinks GB is the place, and Woodson is a draw, maybe they can finagle the number down a bit. It's too much to hope for - the secondary would be absolutely loaded.

swede
01-11-2011, 12:20 PM
'Asumnugazuntites' is awesome. Plus, I agree. If the guy really thinks GB is the place, and Woodson is a draw, maybe they can finagle the number down a bit. It's too much to hope for - the secondary would be absolutely loaded.

"Asumnugazuntites" is almost mraynrandesque.

vince
01-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not saying don't sign him, but signing a 30 year old DB comng off an injury to a huge contract has its risks. I'm sure most people agree it would be a shock to see TT do it.

swede
01-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm not saying don't sign him, but signing a 30 year old DB comng off an injury to a huge contract has its risks. I'm sure most people agree it would be a shock to see TT do it.

Heh heh. It's deja vous all over again.

mraynrand
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
"Asumnugazuntites" is almost mraynrandesque.

That's a good use of mraynrandesque

Smeefers
01-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome fella's.

RashanGary
01-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome fella's.

F-You. Get back to work :) :)

vince
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Heh heh. It's deja vous all over again.
Yeah it is a lot like the Woodson situation in that regard. The difference in this circumstance is the roster is far deeper. I'm on board with those who say we need another corner, and if Lee and Underwood can't get on the field over Bush by now, they'll never develop into the kind of guy you're not trying to replace - so I would love to see Asomugha sign with the Pack. I think the differences between then and now are significant enough to render it highly unlikely.

Patler
01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
...if Lee and Underwood can't get on the field over Bush by now, they'll never develop into the kind of guy you're not trying to replace....

It did seem that Bush was playing ahead of both Lee and Underwood on Sunday, didn't it? That is not a good sign for their futures in GB.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
It did seem that Bush was playing ahead of both Lee and Underwood on Sunday, didn't it? That is not a good sign for their futures in GB.

Lee seems to be slowly salvaging his career. He's been quietly improving on teams. Hopefully that will translate to defensive back as well. Bush is all he'll ever be as a defensive back. I don't really much care to see him on the field. He is just stop gap. I liken him now to Marcus Wilson, who was a real special teams ace back in the mid nineties, but really never played much at his position.