PDA

View Full Version : Flipping Tackles

CaptainKickass
01-09-2011, 10:59 PM

Early on in the game - the announcers were having extra trouble getting their words out and then after the play, they said that Clifton and Bulaga had lined up on opposite sides of the line. Cliffy @ RT and Bulaga @ LT.

I don't have the gm DVR'd so can't go back.

Did anyone see this?

Can you elaborate on the what the situation was at the time? Down, distance, personnel?

Speculation as to the matchup and/or reasoning in that situation?

packers11
01-09-2011, 11:05 PM
they did it once... I was so lost... then they never did it again... I have it on DVR - I should go recheck what the hell they ran that play lol

gbgary
01-09-2011, 11:14 PM
for anyone who didn't record it it will replayed on nfl network on wednesday and thursday.

Bossman641
01-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Here was the situation

1st and 10 from the 47, 10:16 mark of the 1st quarter. Packers lined up with Jackson as the single back, Quarless on the right side of the line next to Clifton, Driver in the slot left, Jennings out right and Crabtree out wide left. Crabtree came in motion and Rodgers snapped the ball when he was behind Driver. They faked a toss left to Jackson and Crabtree blocked down on the end. Quarless stayed in to block, Driver ran a drag route, and Jennings went deep. The pass was completed to Driver for a gain of 12.

I honestly have no clue why they lined up the way they did.

MTPackerfan
01-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Didn't Rodgers roll to the right, so maybe they wanted Clifton over there for better protection

Lurker64
01-10-2011, 12:28 AM
It's conceivable that it's also something they just trotted out there to give the defense one more thing to think about, and they had no other reason. A lot of the Packers gameplan on both sides of the ball seemed to be "we're going to show you a whole lot of different things".

Bossman641
01-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Didn't Rodgers roll to the right, so maybe they wanted Clifton over there for better protection

Yes, Rodgers rolled right.

I'm agreeing with Lurker that they did it just to give the defense something to think about but it was still very strange seeing it.

HarveyWallbangers
01-10-2011, 12:35 AM
The play worked.

Tarlam!
01-10-2011, 02:40 AM
The play worked.

Yup, and so I am reminded of the original meaning of the term "cute"; ugly, but nice.

vince
01-10-2011, 03:44 AM
They did it one other time in the 2nd half on a run play to the left toward Bulaga. It also worked.

Tarlam!
01-10-2011, 03:47 AM
They did it one other time in the 2nd half on a run play to the left toward Bulaga. It also worked.

Nice. They offer the opposing "D" the same "new look" only twice and fool them both times by not repeating the play. Cool.

mraynrand
01-10-2011, 09:46 AM
The play worked. :lol:

pbmax
01-10-2011, 09:48 AM

That was my thought initially. Or actually, it was the only straw I could grasp.

Packers4Glory
01-10-2011, 10:33 AM
they are letting an aging Clifton get some snaps at his future position...ha

CaptainKickass
01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Also - as if Aikman needed another example of proving what a dumbass he is as a commentator - he said that Bulaga's "natural" position is RT.

Tarlam!
01-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Also - as if Aikman needed another example of proving what a dumbass he is as a commentator - he said that Bulaga's "natural" position is RT.

Ya, I picked that up, too. There was a period when every game Aikman covered, the Pack lost. Thankfully, that period is over, but my attitude toward the guy remains negative.

bobblehead
01-10-2011, 11:09 PM

Yea, some dumbass named Bill Polian said the same thing. Guess what.....Bulaga is playing RT at the moment so they are looking smarter than people who think LT is his natural position. That being said, I hope he ends up being a top LT in the near future.

mraynrand
01-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Bill Polian, Indianapolis: “I am absolutely not sold on him as a left tackle. I may be the Lone Ranger in the building. I think he’s a right tackle or a guard. I don’t dislike him. I just don’t see him as a left tackle. I see too much lack of range. He’d probably be a great guard.”

Lurker64
01-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Bill Polian, Indianapolis: “I am absolutely not sold on him as a left tackle. I may be the Lone Ranger in the building. I think he’s a right tackle or a guard. I don’t dislike him. I just don’t see him as a left tackle. I see too much lack of range. He’d probably be a great guard.”

Bill Polian is also the dumbass who passed on Roger Saffold for Jerry Hughes, leaving the Colts with a serious hole at LT and a pass-rusher they couldn't use.

bobblehead
01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Actually while scrolling through the game I heard the Aikman "dumbass" remark. It was the play directly AFTER we had the 2 tackles line up on their opposite sides. As we lined up for the next play Aikman said "The rookie Bulaga is back at his natural position of RT". Dumbass pointing out that they were back to the normal alignment.

I guess I'm getting touchy of everyone overstating every position to the point of absurdity. Taking things out of context, making claims that support a preconceived notion and all.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Bill Polian is also the dumbass who passed on Roger Saffold for Jerry Hughes, leaving the Colts with a serious hole at LT and a pass-rusher they couldn't use.

Yes, he is a curious case. All signs point to an undeniable talent for acquiring players (Buffalo, Carolina, Indy). But he has one Super Bowl win so far (though 6 appearances). Polian must be proof you need to be both lucky and good.

Joemailman
01-11-2011, 04:48 PM

I think Bulaga can play LT. I agree with Polian though that Bulaga could be a great guard. That might be his best position. I thought he was in the process of beating out Colledge for the LG position in preseason before he got hurt.

mraynrand
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I think Bulaga can play LT. I agree with Polian though that Bulaga could be a great guard. That might be his best position. I thought he was in the process of beating out Colledge for the LG position in preseason before he got hurt.

I thought this fit in with the adage that your backup LT is your second best lineman ad should be playing somewhere along your line. It's too bad Bulaga got hurt and then Tausch crapped out, cuz the line would probably have been better with Bulaga at G, assuming Tausch played better than Bulaga at RT. Oh well....

Lurker64
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm honestly not sure that Bill Polian is any good at scouting the left tackle position, considering the state of the Colts at that position. The Colts gave up a first to draft Tony Ugoh to be the LT of the future, then kicked him to the curb two years later; they passed on Saffold who could have really helped them; and that position is in shambles on the Indianapolis roster.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Polian is stuck on the "you need to have an all-world elite LT prospect like Tony Munoz, Walter Jones, or Johnathan Ogden" and just has a blind spot as concerns your B/B+ blue-collar guys who can play LT. If he does, this is bad, since the Colts aren't going to be in position to draft an elite LT for as long as Peyton Manning is healthy and/or playing.

bobblehead
01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
That could be true Lurk, and I'm just an amateur, but I think there is a solid chance BB will end up as a decent LT. Its almost a certainty that he will start for a long time in this league somewhere and justify the 23rd pick at least. And even if that is all it is, he will always be able to serve as a backup LT in the process. I'm not disappointed in the pick, and if he does end up a good LT, its a steal.