PDA

View Full Version : Advantage: Atlanta Falcons?

Tarlam!
01-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Found this interesting: http://playoffs.atlantafalcons.com/2010/

The Georgia Dome has become the most difficult place for opponents to play in the NFL. Mike Smith's Falcons teams are 20-4 over the past 3 seasons at their home stadium, including a 7-1 record in 2010. The big reason is YOU.

Take 70,000 people, united as one, whipped into a frenzy. You change the game and provide a distinct advantage for your team.

The weekend of January 15, we need you more than ever. We need you to blow the roof off of the building. Do you scream loud? Well, scream louder.

Below we've listed three years' worth of decibel readings during game days at the Georgia Dome. The loudest recorded reading is 117.9 on October 12, 2008 (vs. Chicago Bears).

For now.

The 2010 Playoffs are here. It's time to step up. It's time to RISE UP.

The Saints own 2 of 4 of those losses ('09, '10). This season, the average dB was 101.1. Against the Saints, it was 110.3 dB! Let 'em bring their noise, it makes 'em vulnerable!!

O.K. All kidding aside, how many points is HFA worth in Atlanta? Even though it's hard to measure, I think it's a 10 point advantage: 1 missed score and one FG that would have been a TD at Lambeau. Thoughts?

Joemailman
01-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Nothing quiets a crowd down like having the visiting come in and run the ball down their throats. Hopefully the Packers can do some of that.

gbgary
01-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Nothing quiets a crowd down like having the visiting come in and run the ball down their throats. Hopefully the Packers can do some of that.

yup. philly was pretty quiet until the forth quarter. the one time they got loud was after their first td...but they shut up again after the Pack went down and scored their third td.

rbaloha1
01-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Tough place to win like all domes.

Yes -- big advantage. IMO the bigger problem is the Falcon's discipline and physicality.

mission
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
The game earlier this year was like 30% Packers fans including myself. Place was loud as hell for the Packers.

Doesn't come close to comparing the hostility in Philly or Chicago when I've gone. Atlanta fans are (mostly) fair weather and few of them are intense. Their more interested in the date they brought or getting back to Alpharetta safely (less drinking).

Freak Out
01-10-2011, 10:53 AM
The team is what worries me not the building. If Turner gets rolling it is going to be tough. This is a tougher job for Capers then Vick was.

mraynrand
01-10-2011, 10:56 AM
The team is what worries me not the building. If Turner gets rolling it is going to be tough. This is a tougher job for Capers then Vick was.

It's the balanced offense that makes them tough. Like the 90s Cowboys, they can run the ball, and have great top talent at QB, WR, and TE. Their WR depth is just OK, and their O-line can be beaten. Their defense is good, not great. Should be a tight game, just like the first time. Team that makes the fewest mistakes wins. Crowd noise will cause mistakes...

Smidgeon
01-10-2011, 11:14 AM
How will/can the Georgia Dome be worse than the Metrodome in terms of loud, hostile environments?

mraynrand
01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
How will/can the Georgia Dome be worse than the Metrodome in terms of loud, hostile environments? Well, the last time the Packers were there, half the crowd fell asleep from boredom. I think the ATL crowd will be pretty pumped for a Divisional playoff game....

Cheesehead Craig
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
You know, when we beat the Falcons and if the Seahawks beat the Bears, we beat the Seahawks and the Ravens make the SB, we could beat 4 bird teams this year in the playoffs.

Joemailman
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Packers are getting some major respect from the oddsmakers. Falcons are favored by only 2. That's the smallest point spread of the 4 games next week.

Packers4Glory
01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
They are very beatable at home. GB dominated that game and if rodgers holds onto the ball they win.

stupid mistakes like getting pushed into the ball on a punt, fumbles, dropped passes (TDs), big returns...ect kill this team and keep teams hanging around. They have got to eliminate those plays from here on out. There is no excuse for them now.

LEWCWA
01-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Tough place to win like all domes.

Yes -- big advantage. IMO the bigger problem is the Falcon's discipline and physicality.

This it true, but what I like about GB's chances is the same thing. Since the terrible DET game, this team has physically dominated teams that are supposed to be either more physical or more talented. They have been a physical team and pretty much dominated NE, NYG, CHI and PHI. This is what bodes well for GB in my opinion. Since the Lions took it to them, They have stepped it up and manhandled everyone in the trenches! I like it.

MadtownPacker
01-11-2011, 12:32 AM
They should have beat them last time. They are gonna beat them this time.

packrulz
01-11-2011, 04:58 AM
I think the defense needs to win this game, ARod can score points but if they can't slow down Turner it will be a long night.

easy cheesy
01-11-2011, 05:15 AM
I was nervous about the Iggles.... not so much with the Falcons... God forbid the NFC Championship comes "roaring" through Seattle with the Pack.... if only you could hear the drivel that is being puffed up and piffled about in this town....blechhhhhh..... then again... I would be in HEAVEN if we took the Seachickens out at "home".... hmmm.... Bears or Seachickens.... if the NFC game came through Seattle vs. the Pack someone will have to spot me bail money.... my ass wlll be locked up or tossed into a drainage ditch in Rainier Valley somewhere and blamed on Gary Ridgway.... or Sir Mix A Lot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13K5BWZBP4

Just get me a burger at Dick's and we'll be good....

Tarlam!
01-11-2011, 08:14 AM
This story makes me have sleepless hours..... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/113254214.html

The lead paragraph is this:

Atlanta tight end Tony Gonzalez and running back Michael Turner plan to make absolutely certain that the Green Bay Packers get the Falcons' undivided attention.

Atlanta will show up to play, make no mistake.

Bretsky
01-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Way too much confidence in the PR forum this week; the kiss of death

VermontPackFan
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
This story makes me have sleepless hours..... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/113254214.html

The lead paragraph is this:

Atlanta will show up to play, make no mistake.

Your are right on, the NFC Super Bowl rep goes thru Atlanta this year! They are the number 1 seed for a reason and we will need our best game of the season to beat them Saturday. Unfortunately for my nerves/stomach, this game will probably be another nail biting, throwing objects, saying things I will regret later type of game...

mraynrand
01-11-2011, 12:18 PM

This week is going to be an epic loss for the Packers. The Falcons just line up perfectly with the Packers and will be able to exploit every weakness. I might not even watch because I know it's just going to be an absolute shellacking.

mmmdk
01-11-2011, 12:59 PM

Yeah, even I say Packers win! Not just in Atlanta but all the way...Packers will win it all. My seven year old daughter says so & I listen to her. She's golden to me. :cow:

Packers4Glory
01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I've said all along that I have very little confidence in this team. I know they can play with and beat anyone. But w/ all the injuries and the inconsistencies they bring I don't expect nor think a super bowl run has the greatest odds. You have to not only overcome the injuries, but also win 3 road games.

This team has already played 3 do or die game in a row heading into just the 2nd round of the playoffs...Is that a good or bad thing? I'm on the fence. I like momentum but I don't know that I like the do or die aspect of having to win 2 games just to get in.

I know that if this team had Finley and just one or 2 other guys I'd be extremely confident...Hell just give me Finley and I'd say our SB chances are great. Because not ONE team has the talent our full roster has. not one. The only way our original starters not win the Super Bowl is if they make a ton of mental errors (see 1st Bears game).

As it stands they have enough talent to still win, but its an uphill battle in a lot of ways.

denverYooper
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I keep having this feeling that Ryan throws 2 picks this time.

Smidgeon
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I've said all along that I have very little confidence in this team. I know they can play with and beat anyone. But w/ all the injuries and the inconsistencies they bring I don't expect nor think a super bowl run has the greatest odds. You have to not only overcome the injuries, but also win 3 road games.

This team has already played 3 do or die game in a row heading into just the 2nd round of the playoffs...Is that a good or bad thing? I'm on the fence. I like momentum but I don't know that I like the do or die aspect of having to win 2 games just to get in.

I know that if this team had Finley and just one or 2 other guys I'd be extremely confident...Hell just give me Finley and I'd say our SB chances are great. Because not ONE team has the talent our full roster has. not one. The only way our original starters not win the Super Bowl is if they make a ton of mental errors (see 1st Bears game).

As it stands they have enough talent to still win, but its an uphill battle in a lot of ways.

But I kind of feel that not having Finlay and having all these injuries is what's keeping them focused. With Finley, they'd probably be overconfident and get hit with a big upset. I think they know and are ready to scrap it out. Sure, the odds are lower (although Vegas is starting to even that out) without Finley, but they've got a fighter's chance.

Packers4Glory
01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
But I kind of feel that not having Finlay and having all these injuries is what's keeping them focused. With Finley, they'd probably be overconfident and get hit with a big upset. I think they know and are ready to scrap it out. Sure, the odds are lower (although Vegas is starting to even that out) without Finley, but they've got a fighter's chance.

Give me my full roster any time over this mash unit.

They have a chance. I know they can play w/ anyone. But I'm constantly amazed by the defense w/ all the injuries on the line and at LB. I guess I just keep waiting for them to fall a part. they *shouldn't* be this good right now on defense.

even w/o Finely the offense can be very dangerous...but we've also seen them completely shit the bed. You just never know w/ this team who and what will show up.

IF the defense can continue playing out of its mind then it can easily carry the Pack to the promised land. I just think that the rosey outlook and expectations need to be reined in a bit. There are just too many IF's to count.

I do know this team will be crazy good next yr w/ all the experience + guys coming back from injury. They should be retardedly deep once again.

as much shit as I give MMIII, its a credit to him, the staff, and TT for having such great depth and being able to plug some street guys in and get production.

Smidgeon
01-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Give me my full roster any time over this mash unit.

They have a chance. I know they can play w/ anyone. But I'm constantly amazed by the defense w/ all the injuries on the line and at LB. I guess I just keep waiting for them to fall a part. they *shouldn't* be this good right now on defense.

even w/o Finely the offense can be very dangerous...but we've also seen them completely shit the bed. You just never know w/ this team who and what will show up.

IF the defense can continue playing out of its mind then it can easily carry the Pack to the promised land. I just think that the rosey outlook and expectations need to be reined in a bit. There are just too many IF's to count.

I do know this team will be crazy good next yr w/ all the experience + guys coming back from injury. They should be retardedly deep once again.

as much shit as I give MMIII, its a credit to him, the staff, and TT for having such great depth and being able to plug some street guys in and get production.

And I would say especially a credit to Whitt and Trgovac and Greene for having their units ready to play. Without Matthews, Raji, or any of the three main DBs, the season would be sunk.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I do still have this fear that this team cannot seem to deal with a Cover 2 defense unless they can run the ball. Given how iffy that proposition has been all year, I am concerned. Trouble scoring against Tampa Bay's world class Tampa 2 - late 90s edition? OK. Trouble with the Cover 2 of the Needy Sisters of the Poor? Problem. We know Finley being down hurt, but this team strafed Cover 2s in 07 and 09 without him. At some point, they will remember what to do and they might score 40.

And perhaps the Falcons are the key. They play conservative coverages (but I confess I am not sure if that means 2 safeties deep) and in the first game McCarthy and Rodgers went shotgun and 4-5 wide crazy and went up and down the field. This was about the time Rodgers advocated forgetting about running and going shotgun, Run and Shoot and Spread all in one. This game, with two RB options in close (Starks and Kuhn), might be different in the really red zone.

Freak Out
01-11-2011, 06:48 PM
The thing that worries me most is Turner and the ATL running game going apeshit.... but if the O has zero turnovers....and no drops by our stud WRs then GB is off to the NFC championship game.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2011, 07:02 PM

If that's the kiss of death, you're the grim reaper.

Fritz
01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
It will be interesting to see if MM spreads it out again or if he decides to try to balance the attack a little. I found it intriguing after the Bears game that he said it wasn't so much about yards per carry as it was number of carries. But that can only take you so far. If Starks can get three or four per carry, that'd be easier than having Rodgers in the gun every play and letting their linemen tee off.

Bossman641
01-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I hope the Packers keep Green active this week. I understood deactivating him last week in place of Jenkins but I think they will need him this week.

Joemailman
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Offensively, Falcons are 3rd in the league in 3rd down conversions at 47%. Packers need to tackle better than they did the last time the 2 teams played, or they'll have trouble getting off the field. Offensively, Packers need to convert in the red zone. Last time they had 2 consecutive 1st half possessions inside Atlanta's 10 yard line and came away with a total of 3 points. Last time Packers RB's had a total of 11 rushing attempts. Pretty sure Saturday will look different.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
It will be interesting to see if MM spreads it out again or if he decides to try to balance the attack a little. I found it intriguing after the Bears game that he said it wasn't so much about yards per carry as it was number of carries. But that can only take you so far. If Starks can get three or four per carry, that'd be easier than having Rodgers in the gun every play and letting their linemen tee off.

I think he means the number of carries tells him how the game is going from a scoring standpoint. If he is running the ball over 20 times, the Packers have the lead in the second half.

He also could mean that if the offense can sustain drives even with a mediocre rushing attack, they are in good shape drive wise.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Offensively, Falcons are 3rd in the league in 3rd down conversions at 47%. Packers need to tackle better than they did the last time the 2 teams played, or they'll have trouble getting off the field. Offensively, Packers need to convert in the red zone. Last time they had 2 consecutive 1st half possessions inside Atlanta's 10 yard line and came away with a total of 3 points. Last time Packers RB's had a total of 11 rushing attempts. Pretty sure Saturday will look different.

Unless there is an injury we don't know about, I would say the odds of Green being active are good.

Joemailman
01-11-2011, 07:56 PM
I think he means the number of carries tells him how the game is going from a scoring standpoint. If he is running the ball over 20 times, the Packers have the lead in the second half.

He also could mean that if the offense can sustain drives even with a mediocre rushing attack, they are in good shape drive wise.

I took it to mean that down and distance somewhat dictate how much you can run the ball. All 3 are probably part of the equation.

swede
01-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Unless there is an injury we don't know about, I would say the odds of Green being active are good.

I heard that Green was inactive against Philly because Cullen Jenkins was back and they needed more athletic guys in for spying Vick and ST work.

Green will be needed against Atlanta to Turnerproof two gaps.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I heard that Green was inactive because Cullen Jenkins was back and they needed more athletic guys in for spying Vick and ST work.

Agree with both. It'll be Jenkins with Pick plus Green and Wilson to back them up. The question is, will they run base or nickel?

Jimx29
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
They are very beatable at home. GB dominated that game and if rodgers holds onto the ball they win.

That's all anyone needs to know.

packrulz
01-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Ever since the Detroit game, I think the O-line has been run blocking a lot better. Colledge, who I've been critical of, had a nice pancake block against the Giants and has been finishing his blocks better, opening holes for Starks, Kuuuuuuuhn has been great on the goal line and 3rd downs, and, while it's not a run, I loved the screen to BJack, which really gashed the Eagles. Falcons D really isn't that stellar, they have weaknesses, if the Pack can run the ball, it will go a long way to getting the win.

mmmdk
01-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Noisy G-Dome, very strong Falcons & Stubby on game day - a three headed monster - yet we shall smite 'em all! :smile:

:cow:

vince
01-12-2011, 05:03 AM
mm you are obsessed with your stubby.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 06:55 AM
mm you are obsessed with your stubby.

Aren't we all?

Tony Oday
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Turner is going to get his yards...all 60 of them!!! BJ, Green, Pickett and Jenkins have good pad level (hehe) and will fix that. The LBs on this team are amazing...really think about it...they can stop the run and get after the QB...LOVE IT!!!

Smidgeon
01-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I heard that Green was inactive against Philly because Cullen Jenkins was back and they needed more athletic guys in for spying Vick and ST work.

I thought it was because they were going to be in nickel or dime all game long and would be needed more reserve DBs than DL. With a calf issue, you couldn't count on Jenkins to sprint to contain Vick. So Jarrett Bush saw the field quite a bit as the 6th DB.

Not being as much in nickel means that Howard Green should play quite a bit on run downs to rest Jenkins.

Guiness
01-12-2011, 01:57 PM

If Green can track down and sit on Turner in the parking lot before the game, we won't need him and he'll be inactive.

CaptainKickass
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
We're still the underdogs for this game. Even if Vegas had us to win by 7, we'd still be the underdogs because of the patchwork variety defense we have been fielding.

This is not bad. I'd much rather be the underdog in this game.

Tarlam!
01-14-2011, 02:10 AM
:oops:My saliva is already running dry. Geez, I'm nervous...

imscott72
01-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Unfortunately for my nerves/stomach, this game will probably be another nail biting, throwing objects, saying things I will regret later type of game...

Wasn't that almost every game this season?

MJZiggy
01-14-2011, 06:19 AM

Heart Attack Pack, Round 2.

swede
01-14-2011, 07:52 AM
I do not know how the Packers will do, but I do predict that in a sixty minute game Coach McCarthy will be brilliant for 55 minutes and Stubby for 5 minutes.

VermontPackFan
01-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Sad but true...but just your average day in my household.

MadtownPacker
01-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I do not know how the Packers will do, but I do predict that in a sixty minute game Coach McCarthy will be brilliant for 55 minutes and Stubby for 5 minutes.
As long as he gets that shit out of the way by halftime we will be fine.

Fritz
01-14-2011, 10:18 PM
The Pack has to play agressive, mistake-free football.

mission
01-14-2011, 11:10 PM
just got my tickets, sorry guys--had a change of feelings.

this is the playoffs so i have a clean slate!

GO PACK GO!!

mraynrand
01-15-2011, 09:48 AM
just got my tickets, sorry guys--had a change of feelings.

this is the playoffs so i have a clean slate!

GO PACK GO!!

Paint a big ole' G on your chest and strip that shirt off with pride

Tarlam!
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM
The Pack has to play agressive, mistake-free football.

Well, this report says that's Atlanta's plan.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-league/09000d5d81da3986/Packers-Falcons-rematch?module=HP_cp2