PDA

View Full Version : Charles Woodson - apparently the fastest guy in the NFL??

Patler
01-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Some one mentioned this yesterday, and I was surprised by it too:

The Eagles last kickoff came with 4:02 on the clock. Woodson caught the ball on the left hashmark, slipped to his knee, got up and ran across the field to the 22 near the right sideline. The clock read 4:00 when the ref stopped it after the tackle.

That means Woodson caught the ball, slipped, got up, ran about 24 yards, was tackled and the ref stopped the clock all in about 2 seconds.

These times are taken from the NFL gamebook, and are consistent with the TV clock, which was at 4:02 before the kick, and did not tick down to 4:01 until just as Woodson was being tackled.

I know there can be almost a second of "slippage" in a clock between 4:02 and 4:00, because anything less than 4:03 shows as 4:02 and anything equal to or more than 4:01 shows as 4:01, but even 3 full seconds would be awful short for what happened in that play.

Joemailman
01-10-2011, 11:10 AM
I noticed that too. I figured it was just part of the home field advantage.

mraynrand
01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Chuck Bednarik was the honorary timekeeper

vince
01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Chuck Bednarik was the honorary timekeeper
:lol:

Sparkey
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
I also noticed a few plays in the 3rd quarter where an Eagle ran out of bounds and the clock stopped and did not restart until the ball was spotted. It is called Home Field Advantage I guess. lol

swede
01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Don't the officials keep time on the field as well? ...just in case someone spills their Dr. Pepper on the console and shorts out the Jumbotron?

One wonders if the officials can possibly notice such hijinks, or if the League addresses the issues after with some kind of warning.

By the six minute mark I was doing the math and watching the clock carefully. The two second run off on GB's kick return was particularly galling.

HarveyWallbangers
01-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I also noticed a few plays in the 3rd quarter where an Eagle ran out of bounds and the clock stopped and did not restart until the ball was spotted. It is called Home Field Advantage I guess. lol

That happens in every game. That's the rules. :)

Until 2 minutes left in the first half and 5 minutes left in the second half, the clock stops initially when a player runs out of bounds, but it restarts when the ref signals the ball in play.