PDA

View Full Version : How good can Sam Shields become?

Patler
01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
There have been a lot of cornerbacks in GB over the past 10 years. After you get past Woodson, Harris, McKenzie and Williams, has any cornerback played as well in GB as Shields is playing now? I don't think so.

Shields is so inexperienced at corner and seems so dedicated to getting better (from what stories have been written) that there could be a lot of improvement yet to come. As he becomes more comfortable with his own play recognition and coverage abilities, I can see him making more attempts at interceptions. His speed and quickness really could make him a top-notch player. Unlike some of the fast CBs, he seems willing to stick his nose in on tackles. Watching the way Woodson plays is sure a good role model for him.

Can he be an All-Pro in the future?

swede
01-11-2011, 01:00 PM
It is a wonderful story-line. It is hard to believe a kid with only one year of college DB under his belt is starting in the NFL, and playing at a high level to boot.

This is why all the talk of Green Bay being on Asomagoo's short list is amusing rather than tantalizing. He would have to come up with a deal that we would take rather than the other way around.

mmmdk
01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
We got Sam...now we just need Dean on ship! Rock On!!!!!

Scott Campbell
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
There have been a lot of cornerbacks in GB over the past 10 years. After you get past Woodson, Harris, McKenzie and Williams, has any cornerback played as well in GB as Shields is playing now? I don't think so.

Shields is so inexperienced at corner and seems so dedicated to getting better (from what stories have been written) that there could be a lot of improvement yet to come. As he becomes more comfortable with his own play recognition and coverage abilities, I can see him making more attempts at interceptions. His speed and quickness really could make him a top-notch player. Unlike some of the fast CBs, he seems willing to stick his nose in on tackles. Watching the way Woodson plays is sure a good role model for him.

Can he be an All-Pro in the future?

Next year should be really interesting. If you get the 2nd year bump with him the way you do with many players, he could be right there. But like Tramon is finding out with the Probowl voting, it takes a while to establish a reputation.

His play has probably impacted our draft this year, as I was pretty certain that Ted would have had to take a CB given Woodson's age.

mraynrand
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I think there's a chance he could become as good as Asumnugazuntites.

mmmdk
01-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I think there's a chance he could become as good as Asumnugazuntites.

I like simlpe Sam better :lol:

Patler
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Next year should be really interesting. If you get the 2nd year bump with him the way you do with many players, he could be right there. But like Tramon is finding out with the Probowl voting, it takes a while to establish a reputation.

His play has probably impacted our draft this year, as I was pretty certain that Ted would have had to take a CB given Woodson's age.

I am looking forward to next year already, and not just for SHields but for the team as a whole with all of the returning players.

I think TT will still look for a CB. You absolutely have to have 3 good ones, and I don't think Woodson has many more years left in him at corner, if any. A good fourth corner to replace Woodson in the top three in a year or two would not be a wasted pick at all. Lee and Underwood won't be missed if they are replaced.

sharpe1027
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
The jury is still out, but the evidence looks good so far.

CaptainKickass
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
The sky's the limit for Sammy. And what better name for a defensive player than "Shields". Almost could be his own comic book character.

Guiness
01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
If he improves at all, it would be like the couple of years we had with Harris and Woodson, or at least like McKenzie and Tyronne Williams - they had a couple of pretty good years.

Tyronne is another good CB that has been here during the past 10 years. I'm pretty sure he started all 16 games as a rookie.

RashanGary
01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
It's shocking how well he's playing. With Tramon and Sam shutting down the outsides and Woodson playing inside our defense has level of unpredictability to it like no other.

I think we're the team that could give the Patriots the biggest fits. Woodson is the biggest reason why along with Raji and Matthews, but Shields and T Will make it possible to open Woodson's assignments up inside. VERY VERY unpredictable we are.

vince
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I just hope he doesn't have any Johnny Jolly in him. He was suspended at Miami for pot if I'm not mistaken.

Tarlam!
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Doesn't he have speed to burn? Is he the kid that muffed the punts? If he could return punts as well as play nickel that would be sweet! TT needs to fix the returner thing.

Patler
01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
If he improves at all, it would be like the couple of years we had with Harris and Woodson, or at least like McKenzie and Tyronne Williams - they had a couple of pretty good years.

Tyronne is another good CB that has been here during the past 10 years. I'm pretty sure he started all 16 games as a rookie.

I thought about Williams, but his last year in GB was 2002, and I think he was somewhat declining the last year or so. He didn't play much after leaving GB. He seemed to lose quickness, then he was done. I think Shields might be better now than Williams was in 2001-2002. But I have no complaints about Williams. He played well.

VermontPackFan
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I think its way too early to tell and start guessing when he might be in the pro bowl. We are all impressed with the fact he has only played the position for a couple of years and came out of nowhere to be our starting 3rd CB in our nickel D. That is really incredible and I hope he continues to get better and better. The sky seems to be the limit for him but alot can happen between now and then.

To be honest, I couldnt tell how good he is playing or not. The announcers love him so they mention his name quite a bit, does that mean he is great? Is Capers protecting him with certain coverages/schemes? He has 3 all pro's playing in the same backfield with him so not only does he have good mentors but I am sure their play covers for him somewhat. I find it hard to believe no one team has really targeted him all game long? Is that because they are afraid of throwing at him or does that mean Capers puts him in a position so O-coordinators arent sure where he will be from series to series?

I will be very interested in seeing how he adapts to the limelight and involves himself in the off season program. How hard he works & studies during this time, how he handles the offseason fame and most importantly, the soon to be large piles of money the Packers will be sending him.

vince
01-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I think its way too early to tell and start guessing when he might be in the pro bowl. We are all impressed with the fact he has only played the position for a couple of years and came out of nowhere to be our starting 3rd CB in our nickel D. That is really incredible and I hope he continues to get better and better. The sky seems to be the limit for him but alot can happen between now and then.

To be honest, I couldnt tell how good he is playing or not. The announcers love him so they mention his name quite a bit, does that mean he is great? Is Capers protecting him with certain coverages/schemes? He has 3 all pro's playing in the same backfield with him so not only does he have good mentors but I am sure their play covers for him somewhat. I find it hard to believe no one team has really targeted him all game long? Is that because they are afraid of throwing at him or does that mean Capers puts him in a position so O-coordinators arent sure where he will be from series to series?

I will be very interested in seeing how he adapts to the limelight and involves himself in the off season program. How hard he works & studies during this time, how he handles the offseason fame and most importantly, the soon to be large piles of money the Packers will be sending him.
Good points in here Vermont, but he's played way above expectations. You can't hide a CB out on the perimeter where he plays. Coordinators (and QB's) can easily find him and isolate him. You can sometimes hide guys a bit in the slot and give them short zones with help over the top, but that's not what Shields does. If he wasn't getting the job done out there, everyone would know it quickly. With Williams on the other side, it's surprising he hasn't been targeted more - not less. That's a testament to the job he's done out there. He's sticking on guys like glue, makes plays on the ball, and can stick his head in there and tackle too. If he keeps his nose clean (literally) down in Miami on breaks, this kid can be the goods IMO.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
We got Sam...now we just need Dean on ship! Rock On!!!!!

Don't you want Dave to go with Sam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B26ORjxQdNA

OkayKyle
01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm completely in agreement with VermontPackFan - there is no way Shields is as good as he is with Bob Sanders as a coach. The defensive staff has done wonders in his development and learning with Tramon and Woodson - don't forget that Al Harris was around earlier this year, too. Learning from all them and being put in the right schemes/positions has made him out to be a potential star - he definitely has ballhawk instincts... seems to always be looking for the ball when the receiver is about to catch it.

Joemailman
01-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I am looking forward to next year already, and not just for SHields but for the team as a whole with all of the returning players.

I think TT will still look for a CB. You absolutely have to have 3 good ones, and I don't think Woodson has many more years left in him at corner, if any. A good fourth corner to replace Woodson in the top three in a year or two would not be a wasted pick at all. Lee and Underwood won't be missed if they are replaced.

I agree. Right now they are one injury away from Jarrett Bush being the nickel back. Lee might still be a player if he can stay healthy for once. Hard to tell though. I have no hope for Underwood.

Joemailman
01-11-2011, 04:26 PM

He started 0 games as a rookie (1996) but started 15 games in 1997 when Craig Newsome got hurt.

wist43
01-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Shields is a natural talent... feel a lot better about the defense as a whole knowing that we're fielding 3 solid corners. Shields is real find.

Patler
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Shields is a natural talent... feel a lot better about the defense as a whole knowing that we're fielding 3 solid corners. Shields is real find.

I agree. He has made quite an impact for an undrafted rookie. It's nice to see a player that looks like he can replace a starter if needed. I never had the same feeling about any other young CB in the last 8-10 years, other than Tramon Williams.

The one thing that is a bit of a concern if Williams and Shields are the starters in the future, the Packers will be a bit small at cornerback. Neither one is very big.

Brandon494
01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I'd just like to state I was the first poster here that was high on Shields before anyone even knew who he was. Yay for me!

Scott Campbell
01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I'd just like to state I was the first poster here that was high on Shields before anyone even knew who he was. Yay for me!

Quit cutting in line.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I agree. He has made quite an impact for an undrafted rookie. It's nice to see a player that looks like he can replace a starter if needed. I never had the same feeling about any other young CB in the last 8-10 years, other than Tramon Williams.

The one thing that is a bit of a concern if Williams and Shields are the starters in the future, the Packers will be a bit small at cornerback. Neither one is very big.

Tramon still won that jump ball yesterday.

Joemailman
01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I called up Ted Thompson and suggested he sign Shields.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2011, 06:56 PM

I called Miami and suggested they move Shields to CB.

Joemailman
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
"Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan." Anybody want to claim Brandon Underwood?

RashanGary
01-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Not true. My brother and I saw him in the first couple TC practices of the year. He was breaking up passes from the start. Unless you knew he was good before he ever stepped foot on the practice field (in which case you're just throwing darts and nobody cares), you weren't the first.

mmmdk
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Don't you want Dave to go with Sam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B26ORjxQdNA

Not my thought! Sam & Dean from Supernatural; the Winchester boys...hunting monsters of the midway! :smile: YEAH!

3irty1
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
He certainly has the size/speed and ball skills to be outrageously good. He really has no ceiling. That said I think he might be limited by his intelligence and if you'd heard the guy speak you would probably agree. My guess is that he becomes about as good of a corner as Devon Hester is a WR.

gabe
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
If my memory serves me, Brandon was the first one I heard gushing over shields. Also he was always saying we don't need a f.a. Running back due to having Starks on the roster....good call Bran

Brandon494
01-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Not true. My brother and I saw him in the first couple TC practices of the year. He was breaking up passes from the start. Unless you knew he was good before he ever stepped foot on the practice field (in which case you're just throwing darts and nobody cares), you weren't the first.

Ok, go to the other board and check. I remember saying this guy was going to be special and someone compared him to Mike Hawkins then you said you and your brother said he was better. Like I stated before I'm a big VT fan and watch a lot of ACC football. I'm also typing drunk on my iPhone and don't feel like going on with this topic but I'll be back tomorrow. And fuck Colin Cowherd for saying Matt Ryan is better than Rodgers.

mraynrand
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
This thread has become exciting. I wonder whose shit will end up smelling better: Brandon's or JH's?

Scott Campbell
01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
My guess is that he becomes about as good of a corner as Devon Hester is a WR.

That happened sometime in October.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Colin Cowherd is the weathervane of conventional wisdom (I may have said this before). He claims to appreciate smarts, but he really worships money. He is a mimic. I heard he is getting some kind of TV show. Someone will need to check how far along we are to the apocalypse.

He also thinks the Baseball Hall of Fame shouldn't be about nerds and numbers, but then agrees with guests who think the only measuring sticks are 300 wins, 4,000 strikeouts, 500 homers or 1200 RBIs. In other words, he prefers large numbers and is fearful of decimal points.

Not. A. Fan.

bobblehead

I knocked up Sheilds mom when I was in college....I WIN!!!!

Joemailman
Can't wait until Joe gets the search function working.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
This thread has become exciting. I wonder whose shit will end up smelling better: Brandon's or JH's?

Its close because I think Brandon is onto something and both thoughts might be in the same thread. Its possible one of them is 12 minutes smarter than the other though....

Lurker64
Colin Cowherd is the weathervane of conventional wisdom (I may have said this before). He claims to appreciate smarts, but he really worships money. He is a mimic. I heard he is getting some kind of TV show. Someone will need to check how far along we are to the apocalypse.

He also thinks the Baseball Hall of Fame shouldn't be about nerds and numbers, but then agrees with guests who think the only measuring sticks are 300 wins, 4,000 strikeouts, 500 homers or 1200 RBIs. In other words, he prefers large numbers and is fearful of decimal points.

Not. A. Fan.

I think Colin Cowherd is the ESPN employee that annoys me the most... and that's really saying something.

mraynrand

So you paid child support. When Shields get extended - Cha-Ching! for you.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 08:15 PM
He certainly has the size/speed and ball skills to be outrageously good. He really has no ceiling. That said I think he might be limited by his intelligence and if you'd heard the guy speak you would probably agree. My guess is that he becomes about as good of a corner as Devon Hester is a WR.

Lester Hayes was not a brain surgeon and he figured it out. Give him time, one position and one defense and I think he will be good to go.

I wish Stickum was still allowed.

bobblehead
01-11-2011, 08:15 PM
So you paid child support. When Shields get extended - Cha-Ching! for you.

Nah, i ducked out...deadbeat dad...now I get nothing :(

MichiganPackerFan
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM

I was going to go with "he calls me "Daddy'" before i saw yours

HarveyWallbangers
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM

I don't think Tyrone started as a rookie. Craig Newsome and Doug Evans started his rookie year. Tyrone became the starter his second year.

HarveyWallbangers
01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
He started 0 games as a rookie (1996) but started 15 games in 1997 when Craig Newsome got hurt.

Joe beat me to it. :)

VermontPackFan
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't think Tyrone started as a rookie. Craig Newsome and Doug Evans started his rookie year. Tyrone became the starter his second year.

Tyronne "drive by" Williams...:)

VermontPackFan
01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Shields has been a blessing this year and is playing beyond anyones expectations. Hopefully he will continute to get better...

I wonder how Underwood or Lee would have played if thrown in there this year? Underwood is still an unknown, Lee has started to show flashes of his athleticism in special teams play. I feel good about both and think they both would have held their own this year if given the opportunity. Maybe not as well as Sheilds, but just another example of the depth this team still has after all the injuries.

Smeefers
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
I am on the wait and see bench with Shields. I've seen a lot of guys run through this town as a flash in the pan.

There's no denying that the talent is there and his potential is pretty scary. The guy's closing speed is off the charts, which makes him perfect for zone coverage. What really surprises me is that when he's in man to man coverage, and teams have thrown his way, he more often than not finds a way to get a hand on the ball and blow up the pass. I didn't see him as a man guy in the beginning of the season but he's slowly proving me wrong.

If he can continue to improve over the course of the next few years, when he gets his chance to start, he'll take the league by storm. If he rests on his laurels or starts making some poor personal decisions, that's the end of him. I think he has a good chance of becoming great though, because of the all star cast around him. When you've got talent, it's hard not to succeed in those circumstances.

BobDobbs
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Sam Shields is absolutely the real deal. After the season he has had he would start for the majority of teams in the NFL. If you're not sold yet you will be soon enough, doubt not.

I'm not at all convinced that Underwood or Lee could have held their own. Playing cornerback in the NFL is a hard job where weakness will be exposed (see the Vikings secondary). The fact that he never had a brutal game, and in fact was rarely beaten over an entire season is proof that he is a good cornerback. Furthermore, Joe Whitt has always spoken reasonably highly of him and Whitt is not a bullshitter.

He is always open is his assessment of his players to the media. From the start he has said the Shields was the most talented cornerback in the draft, he just had no idea what he was doing. Add on a marijuana arrest and he goes undrafted.

Whitt has also said that this year Shields can be a good corner, but he has a chance to be a great corner. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I think he can be a Pro Bowl corner.

He has speed, fluidity, and is assignment sure. I would rate him above Tyronne Williams, who I think also wore 37, because he has superior ball skills. You're not just going to jump up over him and take the ball without a fight as Maclin found out last Sunday. His study habits seem strong and he is steady.

Just to take my Sam Shields love letter totally over the top I want to point out one other thing. Our defense changed dramatically after Al Harris went down last year. If we have two solid DBs on the outside then Woodson can be a jack of all trades destroyer of offensive gameplans. I still believe that the biggest problem with Harris getting injured was not getting more Jarret Bush on the field it was having to turn Woodson into a more typical cover corner.

With Shields playing at a high level we've been able to get back to operation wreak havoc. Because of this I would say that the play of Sam Shields makes it possible for us to make a Super Bowl run.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Shields worst play of the season could have been when he turned his back and guess on the Maclin TD in game 1. I don't think I saw him do that ever again...

rbaloha1
01-12-2011, 08:26 PM
SS eventually starts. Woodson is getting to the stage of becoming a safety.

VermontPackFan
01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Sam Shields is absolutely the real deal. After the season he has had he would start for the majority of teams in the NFL. If you're not sold yet you will be soon enough, doubt not.

I'm not at all convinced that Underwood or Lee could have held their own. Playing cornerback in the NFL is a hard job where weakness will be exposed (see the Vikings secondary). The fact that he never had a brutal game, and in fact was rarely beaten over an entire season is proof that he is a good cornerback. Furthermore, Joe Whitt has always spoken reasonably highly of him and Whitt is not a bullshitter.

I hope they get a chance to play in GB to find out what they can do before we release/trade either one of them...

bobblehead
01-13-2011, 03:54 PM
I am on the wait and see bench with Shields. I've seen a lot of guys run through this town as a flash in the pan.

I would say I am president of the wait and see club in general, but one thing that makes me get excited about SS is that he has been tested. A guy can get sacks when a team isn't ready for him, or a defense is designed to give him a free run (Bishop first play). An LB can make tackles for a stretch by guessing well. A RB can get yards with superior blocking for half a season, but a DB in isolation gets tested over and over again. A rookie undrafted FA gets picked on. SS put a stop to that early, and every time a team tested him he passed it. You can't luck into that, you can't fake it. He is the real deal.

gbgary
01-13-2011, 04:21 PM
he and williams have pretty much been "shutdown." we're set for a loooong time. (knocking on wood)

mission
01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I would say I am president of the wait and see club in general, but one thing that makes me get excited about SS is that he has been tested. A guy can get sacks when a team isn't ready for him, or a defense is designed to give him a free run (Bishop first play). An LB can make tackles for a stretch by guessing well. A RB can get yards with superior blocking for half a season, but a DB in isolation gets tested over and over again. A rookie undrafted FA gets picked on. SS put a stop to that early, and every time a team tested him he passed it. You can't luck into that, you can't fake it. He is the real deal.

Nice post. Agree 100%.

SnakeLH2006
01-15-2011, 02:08 AM
Tramon is definitely a blueprint.

Snake has ALWAYS been a Tramon fan and wanted him locked up to a 4 year 8 million dollar deal a year and half ago, when several said, no way....that's too much money for an unproven player. LOL. He got his money and is pretty damn good.

Shields has 3 more years of getting paid crap to prove himself, but I said it here and don't know (no one said it isn't true) if ANY GB rookie DB has EVER had as much impact in their rookie year as Shields.

I was a kid loving FL STATE with Terrell Buckley and it was the first draft I cared about in 1992, and he had an OK career overall with the Dolphins, but NO ROOKIE at CB EVER DOMINATES.....but Shields has played as well as ANY CB ROOKIE this side of Cromartie did a few years ago. He's not been picked on and takes on the TOP speed guys on the OTHER team weekly. He hasn't been beaten yet, and plays well....AKA..tackles, makes INTS, etc. He's amazing as a rookie and hope he keeps doing better and really he's only a young 21 with a rookie contract at the min. God TT just fleeces the league with these min. wage undrafted rooks. Unbelievable, but really, Shields has all the talent (speed, athleticism) but after seeing him shutdown dudes with Caper's D....It's only a matter of time till he takes over Wood's CB spot (Wood will move to safety) and keep on this awesome D.

3irty1
01-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Lester Hayes was not a brain surgeon and he figured it out. Give him time, one position and one defense and I think he will be good to go.

I wish Stickum was still allowed.

If you go by wonderlic scores then CB's are statistically the dumbest players in the NFL anyways. I hope you're right. Shields is already as good as he ever needs to be anyways.

3irty1
01-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Tramon is definitely a blueprint.

Snake has ALWAYS been a Tramon fan and wanted him locked up to a 4 year 8 million dollar deal a year and half ago, when several said, no way....that's too much money for an unproven player. LOL. He got his money and is pretty damn good.

Shields has 3 more years of getting paid crap to prove himself, but I said it here and don't know (no one said it isn't true) if ANY GB rookie DB has EVER had as much impact in their rookie year as Shields.

I was a kid loving FL STATE with Terrell Buckley and it was the first draft I cared about in 1992, and he had an OK career overall with the Dolphins, but NO ROOKIE at CB EVER DOMINATES.....but Shields has played as well as ANY CB ROOKIE this side of Cromartie did a few years ago. He's not been picked on and takes on the TOP speed guys on the OTHER team weekly. He hasn't been beaten yet, and plays well....AKA..tackles, makes INTS, etc. He's amazing as a rookie and hope he keeps doing better and really he's only a young 21 with a rookie contract at the min. God TT just fleeces the league with these min. wage undrafted rooks. Unbelievable, but really, Shields has all the talent (speed, athleticism) but after seeing him shutdown dudes with Caper's D....It's only a matter of time till he takes over Wood's CB spot (Wood will move to safety) and keep on this awesome D.

Devin McCourty says hi.

Patler
01-15-2011, 08:49 AM
... and really he's only a young 21 ...

Snake;
You have made this statement several times. I didn't comment about it before because it seemed like a trivial matter. But since you mention it repeatedly, are you trying to make a point about Shields being 21? The reason I ask is because he is not 21, he has already turned 23. Personally, I don't think it matters, but I'm not sure what significance you are attaching to it, if any. The important thing is that he is a rookie, and a more inexperienced one at his position than many are. But he is not "young" relative to other rookies, if that is what you were implying. Not like Jermichael Finley was, who is only 8+ months older than Shields.

Patler
01-15-2011, 09:08 AM
..., but I said it here and don't know (no one said it isn't true) if ANY GB rookie DB has EVER had as much impact in their rookie year as Shields.

"EVER" is a petty long time when talking about the Packers! Just off the top of my head, I would have to mention Willie Buchanon, NFL Rookie of the year in 1972 as a cornerback. It only took a few games for teams to realize that you absolutely could not throw at Willie Buchanon. Tim Lewis is another one who came in and was pretty impressive as a rookie corner.

mraynrand
01-15-2011, 09:32 AM
At this point, the theological implications of a bad game by Shields are staggering.

SnakeLH2006
01-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Snake;
You have made this statement several times. I didn't comment about it before because it seemed like a trivial matter. But since you mention it repeatedly, are you trying to make a point about Shields being 21? The reason I ask is because he is not 21, he has already turned 23. Personally, I don't think it matters, but I'm not sure what significance you are attaching to it, if any. The important thing is that he is a rookie, and a more inexperienced one at his position than many are. But he is not "young" relative to other rookies, if that is what you were implying. Not like Jermichael Finley was, who is only 8+ months older than Shields.

Wow Patler. First off I've always loved your logic and posts.

Secondly, didn't know I've posted enough (I post once a week since coming back...nowhere near what I used to post) about Shield being 21....LOL...Ok...He's 23...and great. My bad. Hope all is good. Didn't know it was a big deal though. Wow. He's 23. Sorry for anyone offended. LOL

bobblehead
01-22-2011, 09:12 AM
"EVER" is a petty long time when talking about the Packers! Just off the top of my head, I would have to mention Willie Buchanon, NFL Rookie of the year in 1972 as a cornerback. It only took a few games for teams to realize that you absolutely could not throw at Willie Buchanon. Tim Lewis is another one who came in and was pretty impressive as a rookie corner.

Craig Newsome started and was adequate as well if i recall.

bobblehead
01-22-2011, 09:14 AM
What scares me is that he is far ahead of the TWill learning curve and that one ended pretty good.

packerbacker1234
01-22-2011, 09:18 AM
It is a wonderful story-line. It is hard to believe a kid with only one year of college DB under his belt is starting in the NFL, and playing at a high level to boot.

This is why all the talk of Green Bay being on Asomagoo's short list is amusing rather than tantalizing. He would have to come up with a deal that we would take rather than the other way around.

Getting a great corner like the guy from oakland is more so to replace Woodson eventually. Woodson was still a probowl caliber player this year (closing in on 100 tackles, 3 picks, 5 forced fumbles), but he is also 33. He can most likely keep this play up until he is 35, and at 36 is where we will start seeing a true decline in his ability. Of course, he could be the exception and be able to play well tillhe is 38 - others have done this, but it's more likely that at 36 is when he will be getting to the end of the line. WHo knows, it's freakin' Charles Woodson. Barring an injury maybe he can be this good for 4 more seasons.

It's just a matter of how long you think Woodson can continue to play at this high of a level, and if you are considering moving him to SS. I think a move to SS prolongs his career honestly. It wouldn't really be any different then the role he has now, except he would man up as much and Collin's would usually be the only single high saftey in blitz packages. This is all assumign the packers, and Woodson, would want to make sucha move. That free's upa position in the top 3 next year, and that is where bring in the oakland guy or a high drafted CB comes into play. Otherwise, if we're going back to Burnett (which isn't bad, if he recovers well) it's just matter of how many mor eyears do we think woodson can stay an elite corner. He is still up there. He's no Revis, and he doesn't have the abilit yto shut down a guy man to man like Williams, but Woodson does such much of the dirty work and can cause so much havoc out there that he becomes a top flight DB for other reasons.

Sam Shields is a great story, and he can't get any worse than he is now. That means that, worse case scenario, he stays our nickle back for a long, long time. Best case is he continues to improve and becomes a starter that eventually replaces woodson. I am sure we did use coverages to disguise him some, but several times this year he was man up on the other teams "fastest" wr - which was clearly a ploy to take advantage of his speed. Anyone else remember him frequently lining up on Desean Jackson when we played the eagles? I sure did, and last I checked, he was relatively shut down.

Our defense, however, is made in a way that it's playing together that makes them great, more so then being great individually. I think that is largely why we have been abled to plug so many guys in, becuase the schemes have been just so amazing that it sets everyone up to succeed.

mraynrand
01-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Secondly, didn't know I've posted enough (I post once a week since coming back...nowhere near what I used to post) about Shield being 21....LOL...Ok...He's 23...and great. My bad. Hope all is good. Didn't know it was a big deal though. Wow. He's 23. Sorry for anyone offended. LOL

We'll let your error slide - THIS time. But clean it up, willya?

Patler
01-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Snake;

Oh, quit being a drama queen! :smile: :-D

Seriously now, we are in agreement. As I said, I don't think it matters one bit. I was just confused because you mentioned it several times, so I thought I would bring it up and ask.

Waldo
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
The last decade or two has not been all that good for CB's. It has been a long time since a 4.3 flat/sub 4.3 prospect at DB "got it". You know a guy that would still be a very good DB given 4.5 speed instead of what they are blessed with. There were a couple in the late 80's early 90's (Sanders/Green). Since then the guys that could play have been 4.4 guys or so, with none really pressing below the 4.35 line. None have been like Shields, who has a noticeable gear beyond the 4.4 guys (legit 4.35 guys generally don't appear to have an extra gear relative to the 4.4 guys).

Shields still has a long way to go overall before he is in the great discussion, but he picked up inside leverage sideline play freaky fast. Which has made him extremely useful. A lot of teams have a sideline burner that runs deep as their big play passing threat, that isn't actually that good of a WR, their game being to out run coverage (see Knox, Johnny). Shields is really good at shutting down these guys. Although the way he gets the job done is different, his use is actually quite similar to Al Harris'.

Shields does have a learning "disability" but our coaches know how he learns and have figured out how to teach him. Not that it relates to the Packers, but I was listening to Kirwan the other day, he was talking about different types of learners and how coaches have to get through to them. Said they figured out (in NY 'bout a decade ago) that they had a couple tactile learners, who just couldn't get it with normal teaching, that struggled learning the play book. However they got magnet boards and magnets to represent the players, all of a sudden their learning issues went away when the players could feel the formations and concepts as opposed to seeing or hearing.

Guiness
01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Chris Johnson had that crazy speed, but just didn't get it for the few years he was here. Is he still starting in Oakland?