PDA

View Full Version : Should the Packers sign Asomugha....

Patler
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
... and trade Tramon Williams? Or,
... move Woodson to a high-bred DB role of some sort, maybe playing fewer snaps. Or,
... trade Sam Shields? Or,
... trade, release or "retire" Woodson? Or,
... keep Woodson, Williams and Shields, get rid of Underwood or Lee, and not worry about who is a starter and who's pride might be hurt by a changed role in 2011, figuring that Woodson is not likely to be back for a 15th season in 2012 and the top 3 corners will then be Williams, Asomugha and Shields in 2012?

billy_oliver880
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
The real question is...is he that much better then any of our top three to trade one away? I don't think so. He is going to want alot of coin anywhere he goes. I say pass on this one.

Guiness
01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Interesting options, all.

I don't think getting rid of Williams or Shields would happen. They're good, cost-effective young guys. No reason whatsoever to get rid of them. I'd even argue that the incremental improvement from Williams to Asomugha is in no way worth the exponential cost increase.

Underwood, and even moreso Lee don't even factor into the equation. They're non-entities when making considerations like this.

One more thing...Hybrid.

RashanGary
01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Morgan Burnett and Charlie Peprah would be pushed to the bench. I was going to give a definitive, "no way" but him and Tramon would make the best corner combo in the NFL. Woodson could play SS with Shields still coming in on nickle. It's not likely, but it could work.

Smidgeon
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Well, Shields is staying. He's too young not too. Williams is a couple years younger too, right?

Smidgeon
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Morgan Burnett and Charlie Peprah would be pushed to the bench. I was going to give a definitive, "no way" but him and Tramon would make the best corner combo in the NFL. Woodson could play SS with Shields still coming in on nickle. It's not likely, but it could work.

And it would give Burnett another year to develop, this time behind Woodson...

K-town
01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Ted Thompson doesn't like to sign expensive free agents. And by expensive, I'm talking ridiculously, shitballs-crazy, stupid money. Which is what this guy will command. I'd rather some other team, with a retarded fantasy football owner, spend the large dollars and poison their locker room. I'm looking at you, Dan Snyder, and you, Jerry Jones.

Tony Oday
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Well does he make the team better? Will there be dissension in the Defense if he is paid similar to C Wood...will he accept C Wood money? If he makes the team better, doesnt piss people off and takes orders from C Wood and Hawk on defense I say roll the dice...imagine that defense?!

RashanGary
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm with you K-town. Ideal situation is to draft a promising CB with the 2nd or 3rd round pick to be dime.

Lurker64
01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Ted Thompson doesn't like to sign expensive free agents. And by expensive, I'm talking ridiculously, shitballs-crazy, stupid money. Which is what this guy will command. I'd rather some other team, with a retarded fantasy football owner, spend the large dollars and poison their locker room. I'm looking at you, Dan Snyder, and you, Jerry Jones.

From how I understand it, Asomugha only required ridiculous sums of money to remain in Oakland. I too would require ridiculous sums of money to remain in Oakland and work for Al Davis. By all accounts (http://twitter.com/bydavidwhite/status/24344698449567744) he would like to play for the Packers or the Jets, and would probably take less money to go there.

I like him as a player, I'm just not sure what we'd do with Williams, Woodson, Asomugha, Shields, Collins, and Burnett all on the same team... I guess we'd have one hell of a dime package.

Freak Out
01-11-2011, 02:39 PM
The question really is can they afford it? Both from a pocketbook standpoint and a locker room standpoint?

Tarlam!
01-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Well does he make the team better? Will there be dissension in the Defense if he is paid similar to C Wood...will he accept C Wood money? If he makes the team better, doesnt piss people off and takes orders from C Wood and Hawk on defense I say roll the dice...imagine that defense?!

There was a great article about the secondary coach Whit and he is quoted as admitting that Chuck gets "different" treatment. What's been written about this Asomugough dude is he's great friends with Chuck and he wants to play for a winner.

So, Chuck can advise him; Chuck can smooth the locker room road for him; Chuck can kick him in the balls if he is signed and doesn't come to play. The key is Chuck, who, by Whit's admission, is treated like a player coach. I doubt we'll see the public push á la Bert for Randy or the tantrum if it doesn't happen. But I will say Asomagoo is on the Packers' agenda for sure.

In TT I trust.

Patler
01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
The question really is can they afford it? Both from a pocketbook standpoint and a locker room standpoint?

Unless others resent his money, I don't think his personality would be any problem. Asomugha apparently is a tremendous individual. There was an article a couple years ago about him. He gives a very high percentage of his income to charities both here and in Nigeria. He has established and funded numerous charitable foundations for women and children. He works closely with high schools in the Bay Area and pays for student trips to colleges and pays for "reward" trips for high-achieving students. He has sponsored student supplies in poor schools. He has been nominated for the Byron Whizzer White Community Service Award every year since 2005.

According to the article he lives very, very much below what his income would support, and is really a very simple guy without lavish taste. He was driving an old car because it ran, and he saw no reason to replace it.

swede
01-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Dang, K-Town. You've got to post more...I like that edgy style.

The thing with Ameshuggenuh is that this is either so much talk and he is just a run of the mill Redskins style free agent or the guy really is telling his agent to get it done one way or another with a short list of teams, a list on which we may be #2. The chemistry and re-shuffling of the D-backs thing might be really interesting if the unthinkable happens.

Smidgeon
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
All I know is that if they do sign Awesomegha and move Woodson to safety, the Packers could conceivably have to pull 4 DB starters out of the Pro Bowl at the end of the season to play in a different game.

pbmax
01-11-2011, 03:53 PM

That's what some thought he did with Woodson for between 9-10 million per year in 2006. But I agree, its less likely with Woodson, Williams, Shields, Lee and Underwood that it was with Harris, Grabby Smurf, Patrick Dendy, Fontenot, Marviel Underwood, Joey Thomas, Mike Hawkins, etc.

But, mostly it depends on what they expect from Woodson. He has said previously he does not want to move to safety. But he has clearly been suffering in coverage this year, from lack of practice time, if not something more serious. But given the nickel back is still Underwood or Lee without Woodson, I am not sure they will spend that kind of money on a CB, though it is one of the positions Wolf argued you have to acquire by any means necessary.

gbgary
01-11-2011, 04:05 PM
our guys are very good and getting better every game...so no.

Brandon494
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
If this was my franchise on Madden 11 then yes

I would then move Woodson to FS, Collins to SS, and have Asomugha and Williams as my starting CBs with Shields at nickel.

Tony Oday
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
If this was my franchise on Madden 11 then yes

I would then move Woodson to FS, Collins to SS, and have Asomugha and Williams as my starting CBs with Shields at nickel.

Seriously though if he wants to come to the Pack there is no reason we shouldnt sign him unless it is a back breaking contract or he is a terrible guy in the locker room.

mission
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
When I opened this thread I was thinkin "no freakin way", but wait... you're saying there's a chance? this whole woodson / play for a winner thing might get us a discount? I thought this was just some far-fetched thing a couple people were rosterbating over. Maybe not?

As long as Shields is still on the field and Williams stays a Packer then it could be unbelievable. I can hardly imagine that.

green_bowl_packer
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Darren Perry coached him prior to coming to GB. between Perry and Woodson that should give us the leg up if we decide to go after him.

Perry came to Green Bay from Oakland, where he coached the Raiders’ defensive backs for two seasons (2007-08). Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha earned his second Pro Bowl selection and All-Pro honors from The Associated Press under Perry’s tutelage, as the Raiders ranked in the top 10 each of those years in passing yards allowed. In 2008, Oakland allowed opponents to complete only 56.5 percent of their passes, tied for fourth best in the league.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/darren-perry/23c7d6e1-2f60-440a-9cea-bd4a20b0426d

mission
01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
The plot thickens...

Freak Out
01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I remember listening to an interview with the guy now.....sounded very level headed. The car thing jogged my memory....Isn't he the one that drives like a 10 year old Nissan or something? If he wants to win and play with his friend for a year or two that would be fantastic.

gbgary
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
what? this isn't just some hypothetical? really? hmmm.

mraynrand
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
When I opened this thread I was thinkin "no freakin way", but wait... you're saying there's a chance?

So you're saying there's a chance!

http://thumbnails.truveo.com/0018/B1/6A/B16AAA11EFD5B733A07C18_Large.jpg

Patler
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
The car thing jogged my memory....Isn't he the one that drives like a 10 year old Nissan or something?

Yup, that's him. He said the car was needed to get him places, and the old one did that very well. Therefore, no reason to waste money on a new one.

As I recall, he is a very religious guy, and takes his obligations to help others very seriously. Not just with words and some actions, but major contributions from his own wealth. They said he does a lot with no publicity at all, just does it because he feels it is his duty from the gifts he has been given.

Patler
01-11-2011, 08:43 PM
But, mostly it depends on what they expect from Woodson. He has said previously he does not want to move to safety.

If Woodson and Asomugha are good friends as some articles have said, I wonder if Woodson would look more favorably on a move to safety now, being that he is older and it might open a spot for his friend?

Fritz
01-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Woodson would be the key to the whole thing. He would have to be willing to move to safety - and I thought I'd read he's not ready to do that at all.

And if Asomugha wants to come to GB to play with his friend Chuck, then cutting Chuck to make room for Asomugha wouldn't work out either...

pbmax
01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
This thread is perfect. There is no way Bretsky is going to believe Nnamdi is coming to the Packers while Thompson is GM. That will piss him off something fierce and give him the vitriol needed for the Saturday Night Jinx. Good work fellas, keep it up. :)

pbmax
01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
When I opened this thread I was thinkin "no freakin way", but wait... you're saying there's a chance? this whole woodson / play for a winner thing might get us a discount? I thought this was just some far-fetched thing a couple people were rosterbating over. Maybe not?

As long as Shields is still on the field and Williams stays a Packer then it could be unbelievable. I can hardly imagine that.

rosterbating - that needs to go on the Sports equivalent of the Urban Dictionary.

Bretsky
01-11-2011, 09:26 PM
This thread is perfect. There is no way Bretsky is going to believe Nnamdi is coming to the Packers while Thompson is GM. That will piss him off something fierce and give him the vitriol needed for the Saturday Night Jinx. Good work fellas, keep it up. :)

You are so F'ckin right it's unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lurker64
01-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Woodson would be the key to the whole thing. He would have to be willing to move to safety - and I thought I'd read he's not ready to do that at all.

And if Asomugha wants to come to GB to play with his friend Chuck, then cutting Chuck to make room for Asomugha wouldn't work out either...

This is solved simply by Ted going to Chuck and saying "Mr. Woodson, I hear you're pretty close with Nnamdi... what are your thoughts on bringing him in? How do you think the defensive backfield would line up with him on the team?"

get louder at lambeau
01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Yup, that's him. He said the car was needed to get him places, and the old one did that very well. Therefore, no reason to waste money on a new one.

As I recall, he is a very religious guy, and takes his obligations to help others very seriously. Not just with words and some actions, but major contributions from his own wealth. They said he does a lot with no publicity at all, just does it because he feels it is his duty from the gifts he has been given.

If he's really that way, then a Super Bowl ring shouldn't matter as much as money. You can't fund charities with a Super Bowl ring.

Lurker64
01-11-2011, 09:40 PM
If he's really that way, then a Super Bowl ring shouldn't matter as much as money. You can't fund charities with a Super Bowl ring.

Just because a guy is humble and down to earth doesn't mean he doesn't aspire to the highest level of achievement at his craft.

get louder at lambeau
01-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Just because a guy is humble and down to earth doesn't mean he doesn't aspire to the highest level of achievement at his craft.

This is very different than just "humble and down to earth"-

Lurker64
01-11-2011, 10:13 PM
This is very different than just "humble and down to earth"-

But at the same time, wouldn't "not making most of your god-given gifts" seem somewhat inappropriate to a very religious person? I mean I assume that he believes that God did not give him the ability to play at such a high level so he can take his millions of dollars he got from the Raiders and sit on the couch watching ALF reruns and eating Bugles.

mraynrand
01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
.... sit on the couch watching ALF reruns and eating Bugles.

oops, did I leave my webcam on again?

Patler
01-11-2011, 10:44 PM

He wasn't ready to do it when he came to GB .... 5 seasons ago. He has to realize by now that he really only has a year or two left. Age catches everyone. It would be a small concession to make at this stage of his career, especially to play again with a friend.

Besides, Woodson himself said he is a different man now than he was then. That he was bitter and even insulted 5 years ago by the way the Raiders handled it and the lack of interest teams showed in him.

I suspect his attitude about a position change might be different now, especially if Capers is still around to use him in unique and unusual ways.

swede
01-11-2011, 10:48 PM
...and in the nickel D hasn't CW been kicking ass in a hybridized role while Shields and Williams play the corners?

get louder at lambeau
01-11-2011, 11:41 PM
But at the same time, wouldn't "not making most of your god-given gifts" seem somewhat inappropriate to a very religious person? I mean I assume that he believes that God did not give him the ability to play at such a high level so he can take his millions of dollars he got from the Raiders and sit on the couch watching ALF reruns and eating Bugles.

There are a lot of religious people here in Colorado Springs. I am not one, personally. I could see a very religious person thinking that way, with it changed to "...so he can take his millions of dollars he got from the Raiders and donate it all to saving starving people in Africa."

Freak Out
01-12-2011, 12:24 AM
He sounds like Packer people.

SnakeLH2006
01-12-2011, 02:38 AM
I'd take Shields with his speed/covering ability as a 21 year old (very low salary over a few years) over the $14 million yearly to sign the Raider CB any fucking day. I see minimal tradeoff given Shields is pretty damn good as the #3 already. What the hell would Ass-Munch (can't spell his name) bring other than 20% of cap space in 2011?

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 07:04 AM
I'd take Shields with his speed/covering ability as a 21 year old (very low salary over a few years) over the $14 million yearly to sign the Raider CB any fucking day. I see minimal tradeoff given Shields is pretty damn good as the #3 already. What the hell would Ass-Munch (can't spell his name) bring other than 20% of cap space in 2011?

an eventual replacement for Woodson?

Patler
01-12-2011, 08:09 AM

A very big shutdown corner who is 3" taller and 20-25 pounds heavier than either Shields or Tramon Williams. At 6' 2", 210 lbs., Asomugha is even bigger than Woodson, and Woodson is a big corner.

get louder at lambeau
01-12-2011, 09:46 AM
A very big shutdown corner who is 3" taller and 20-25 pounds heavier than either Shields or Tramon Williams. At 6' 2", 210 lbs., Asomugha is even bigger than Woodson, and Woodson is a big corner.

I think the question is how much better would our team be with him? We're already the #1 pass D in the league, according to Football Outsiders.

MadtownPacker
01-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I think the question is how much better would our team be with him? We're already the #1 pass D in the league, according to Football Outsiders.
Maybe the answer sounds like with him the D might stay the #1 pass D and move closer #1 rush D? Regardless, him showing interest in playing for a winner like the Pack says alot.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Walden played pretty well against Chicago, and Zombo shows some promise, but we wouldn't turn away a DeMarcus Ware or a James Harrison if they wanted to come to GB, would we?

get louder at lambeau
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Walden played pretty well against Chicago, and Zombo shows some promise, but we wouldn't turn away a DeMarcus Ware or a James Harrison if they wanted to come to GB, would we?

I'm not sure the upgrade would be similar. Tramon is one of the best corners in the league, and Shields is looking like a Pro Bowler already. Next year he should be even better. Probably significantly, since he's so inexperienced at CB.

I'm just not sure we'd really get our $10 million plus worth out of Nnamdi. We already have arguably the best group of corners in the league. Diminishing returns kicks in eventually.

HarveyWallbangers
01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I doubt we get him, but we could move Wood to safety, so there is room for Nnamdi. Nnamdi-Williams-Shields-Collins-Woodson would be sick.

DannoMac21
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Maybe it's just me...but cutting Chuck, even if he's playing on a half leg, could never be done. He's still too much of a playmaker, and IMO, will be til the day he retires.

EDIT: But as for Scrabble, go out and get him Teddy! STILL the most underrated CB in football. Asomugha>Revis.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure the upgrade would be similar. Tramon is one of the best corners in the league, and Shields is looking like a Pro Bowler already. Next year he should be even better. Probably significantly, since he's so inexperienced at CB.

I'm just not sure we'd really get our $10 million plus worth out of Nnamdi. We already have arguably the best group of corners in the league. Diminishing returns kicks in eventually.

But diminishing Woodson might kick in sooner. I think it all depends on the deal. If he's really excited to play in GB and TT can get it done with a big contract that doesn't break the bank they should do it. This kind of stuff is rare in GB - strike while the iron is hot!

pbmax
01-12-2011, 09:35 PM
I doubt we get him, but we could move Wood to safety, so there is room for Nnamdi. Nnamdi-Williams-Shields-Collins-Woodson would be sick.

Just think of the challenge. Dom and the Packers D have had to set a record for both the number and percentage of snaps in nickel this year. Next, year, the record for the dime falls.

pbmax
01-12-2011, 09:43 PM
...and in the nickel D hasn't CW been kicking ass in a hybridized role while Shields and Williams play the corners?

Yes. He is essentially in the Troy Polamalu role.

bobblehead
01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
How much money do we have tied up in our secondary right now? I find it far fetched we add more. Would be cool, sort of like the dream team, but if we are spending, I would rather get an OLB that can get to the QB....or resign Jenkins.

pbmax
01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
McGinn said Wood was still top 5 in CB money and Williams was 11th.

Guiness
01-13-2011, 12:24 PM
McGinn said Wood was still top 5 in CB money and Williams was 11th.

Really? Williams is 11th? Someone needs to remind me what his contract was, I thought we got him quite reasonably. I wonder how McGinn got his numbers?

The 10th place earner on last year's franchise/tender list (published Feb 2010, so previous year, 2009 season'ssalary) was Asomuga at $6,000,000.

vince
01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/111071544.html

Deal averaged 8.25/yr.

Fritz
01-13-2011, 01:13 PM
I think someone nailed a new nickname: Charles "Diminshing" Woodson.

Would he play safety?

gbgary
01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I think someone nailed a new nickname: Charles "Diminshing" Woodson.

Would he play safety?

if you are you speaking of asomugha i was just about to ask the same question.

HarveyWallbangers
01-13-2011, 03:30 PM
I think he's asking if Wood would play safety. You don't move a legit shutdown corner to safety.

bobblehead
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Wont' happen if PB is right about what those 2 are paid....then you add in Collins contract and we aren't spending more in the backfield any time soon.....not until we extend Shields towards the end of Woodson's contract.

Pugger
01-13-2011, 06:19 PM
I saw an interview online yesterday and Asomugha said all he was interested in was winning! He said the losing in Oakland is affecting his physical and mental health. He seemed like a well spoken young man and he'd be a welcome addition to the lockerroom. But can we really afford him and do we have a spot for him?

Fritz
01-13-2011, 08:03 PM
As I keep saying, it really would depend not only on the new CBA and what caps there are, but also on Woodson's willingness to move to safety. If the money is available and Woodson's willing to move and the coaches think Burnett could use two years on the bench (barring injury), then it could make some sense. But somehow I don't see it happening.

SkinBasket
01-13-2011, 09:38 PM
I like him as a player, I'm just not sure what we'd do with Williams, Woodson, Asomugha, Shields, Collins, and Burnett all on the same team... I guess we'd have one hell of a dime package.

What if Woodson plays OLB/S/CB, free to fuck shit up at will, Williams and this Muslim from Oakland play corner, Burnett and Collins play safety, and Shields gets as much time as he can get while learning from the best fucking collection of DBs in the league. Like when Hogan and Savage teamed up before Elizabeth torn them asunder. Normally I don't like overpriced asshats, but I think there's a chance of redefining the modern defense here.

mraynrand
01-13-2011, 09:53 PM
What if Woodson plays OLB/S/CB, free to fuck shit up at will, Williams and this Muslim from Oakland play corner, Burnett and Collins play safety, and Shields gets as much time as he can get while learning from the best fucking collection of DBs in the league. Like when Hogan and Savage teamed up before Elizabeth torn them asunder. Normally I don't like overpriced asshats, but I think there's a chance of redefining the modern defense here.

It's fun to imagine what would happen if a team effectively could shut down 5 wide, 4 wide, 3 wide and a TE, etc. etc. It could be really startling to see a defense that could force other teams to run the ball. You can't survive in today's NFL with only a run game, and adding this guy could obliterate other team's passing games.

Lurker64
01-13-2011, 09:53 PM

The silver lining, I guess, both Bigby and Bush would probably end their careers in Green Bay?

SkinBasket
01-14-2011, 02:03 PM
It's fun to imagine what would happen if a team effectively could shut down 5 wide, 4 wide, 3 wide and a TE, etc. etc. It could be really startling to see a defense that could force other teams to run the ball. You can't survive in today's NFL with only a run game, and adding this guy could obliterate other team's passing games.

What would make it workable in theory is that Woodson is flexible enough and experienced enough to stay on the field in a variety of roles while other players come off or on depending on the offensive personnel. And if age starts to take it's toll, it's easy to reduce his snaps without fundamentally changing the defense.

packers11
01-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Woodson could be a SS... He does it already essentially (like Troy Polamalu) playing everywhere on the field...

I can't imagine all those players on the field... That would be like a Madden Fantasy draft... I think we are all living in a dream world, I see very little chance of this happening...

SkinBasket
01-14-2011, 02:12 PM
I agree it isn't likely at all to happen, but of all the fanboy wetdream scenarios people run through on this shitty forum, this is one I can get behind and pump until daylight.

get louder at lambeau
01-14-2011, 02:21 PM

If the main difference is benching Shields for Aso, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Maybe Dom could use a dime package on most snaps to keep Shields out there.

VermontPackFan
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I agree it isn't likely at all to happen, but of all the fanboy wetdream scenarios people run through on this shitty forum, this is one I can get behind and pump until daylight.

:)

SkinBasket
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
If the main difference is benching Shields for Aso, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Maybe Dom could use a dime package on most snaps to keep Shields out there.

I've been a Shields supporter since the beginning. Even when half these asshats were bitching about him. Now he's the next magic unicorn that's going to save the world from economic disaster. Not like there's non-magic unicorn, but whatever. Point being, I think he's good, but let's let him develop before declaring he's the next shut down corner. Otherwise someone might mistake you for Brandon, who believes everyone who gets press is going to be the next someone great - only better.

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2011, 03:57 PM

In my scenario, Shields would play the same role he does now. Woodson would move to safety and Nnamdi would replace Woodson. Williams, Collins, and Shields would be in the same role.

RashanGary
01-14-2011, 04:05 PM
If we lined up Aso, Tra, Collins and Wood in the secondary, we might have the best starting secondary in the history of football.

get louder at lambeau
01-14-2011, 04:17 PM
I've been a Shields supporter since the beginning. Even when half these asshats were bitching about him. Now he's the next magic unicorn that's going to save the world from economic disaster. Not like there's non-magic unicorn, but whatever. Point being, I think he's good, but let's let him develop before declaring he's the next shut down corner. Otherwise someone might mistake you for Brandon, who believes everyone who gets press is going to be the next someone great - only better.

I don't usually swing to extremes about players. I'm a gray area guy mostly.

Shields I will make an exception for. To be a shutdown corner, you have to shut players down. Shields is pretty much already doing that, and he's a raw rookie. He's special. Not special ed either- the good kind.

He has more upside than any DB we've had in a long time. At least since Tramon, if not Collins. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up better than either of them based on what he has shown so far. He's a natural. Maybe he won't be the next someone great but better, but I think the smart money says that he will be.

Whatever happens, I want him on the field, Asomougha or not. Harvey's idea works for me.

Freak Out
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM
These guys are all so special we'll have to call them the short bus backfield.

Iron Mike
01-14-2011, 08:03 PM
What if Woodson plays OLB/S/CB, free to fuck shit up at will, Williams and this Muslim from Oakland play corner, Burnett and Collins play safety, and Shields gets as much time as he can get while learning from the best fucking collection of DBs in the league. Like when Hogan and Savage teamed up before Elizabeth torn them asunder.

I'd liken it as to when the Fabulous Freebirds would on occasion get Jimmy Garvin to kick ass with them, too.

http://www.wrestlingmuseum.com/images/models/freebirds.jpg

MadtownPacker
01-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Like when Hogan and Savage teamed up before Elizabeth torn them asunder.
Hahaha!! Classic like in the old days.

SnakeLH2006
01-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Shields has god-given talent to be ELITE. Whether he EVER does it is another story, but I can't think of a Packer rookie in the secondary in 20 years that played as well as Shields has so far (despite his undrafted status). Credit to TT here once again to find these guys that plug in and play.

Would the Raider CB be great to have...Yeah...For that money...No.

Woodson should make a smooth transition in the next 2 years to safety, but really, he has no wheels now. His speed disappeared years ago, and prob. runs a 4.6 now. Who cares? His ball-hawking/stripping skills more than make up for his speed, and a safety transition is fine, but really it's not like he's gonna be any slower. The only thing that would/will derail his playing days is Father Time....aka getting frequent injuries that keep him out. So far..he's played through them, but eventually, he will wither like even the Iron Man Brett did, and succumb. He gets beat up alot...and still plays great CB.

I have nothing against getting an elite shutdown corner via FA, but really, if you do the cap math, we should spend money elsewhere to upgrade the pass-rush or OL, if TT does go the route of spending big bucks in FA.....but I doubt that happens and am cool with it. Resign our guys and keep plucking gems out of nowhere.....That is why we are contending in 2010 despite all the injuries. The Raider CB wouldn't really help much to win in the immediate future.

mission
02-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Here's a video of Nnamdi with his 1997 Nissan... seems like a good guy

http://ithappenedforreal.msn.com/?section=video&videoid=sports_113&category=sports&gt1=25075

wootah
02-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Woodson should make a smooth transition in the next 2 years to safety, but really, he has no wheels now. His speed disappeared years ago, and prob. runs a 4.6 now.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/c2/fullj.78dac89887cb371578fca8c4ded248e9/78dac89887cb371578fca8c4ded248e9-getty-98556301ch145_super_bowl_xl.jpg

At the NFL Scouting Combine in 2009, Wallace finished second overall in the 40-yard dash with an official 4.33-second time.

pbmax
02-14-2011, 07:33 AM
I think Woodson has had as much trouble with practice time at outside CB as he has with his speed. Injuries (esp the toe I would imagine) hurt both his coverage and his preparation. And that doesn't even account for the time Shields gets out there.

But I am not sure a move to safety will help keep Woodson healthy and playing.

gbgary
02-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Here's a video of Nnamdi with his 1997 Nissan... seems like a good guy

http://ithappenedforreal.msn.com/?section=video&videoid=sports_113&category=sports&gt1=25075

that's cool. seems like a regular guy.

bobblehead
02-14-2011, 10:56 AM
If we lined up Aso, Tra, Collins and Wood in the secondary, we might have the best starting secondary in the history of football.

What was the eagles team back in the day? Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Al Harris, Brian Dawkins. Can't recall the other safety, but that was damn good.

KYPack
02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
What was the eagles team back in the day? Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, Al Harris, Brian Dawkins. Can't recall the other safety, but that was damn good.

The Raiders with Haynes and Hayes and that Eagle secondary with Bobby Tasylor and Troy Vincent are two great ones.

The Lombardi Packers with Herb, Willie Wood, and Bob Jeter are the other benchmark, IMHO.

Bretsky
02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
if you sign this guy no way to do we have Jenkins money..........of course......he probably leaves anyways
OK, I'm on board with the dream
Wrap it up !!