PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Wall?

TennesseePackerBacker
01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Just a question I figured I'd pose to the rest of you as I was kicking it around in my own head:

Are we due for a let-down because of the fabled "Rookie Wall"?

Specifically, Brian Bulaga.

Generally, when rookies play entire seasons, they seem to tire out at a certain point in the season where their vetern counterparts would not. I feel as if this is a legitimate concern for Bulaga, and maybe to a lesser point C.J. Wilson (though he has been more of a substitute). I'm worried we may see the wheels fall off against Abraham and the Falcons pass rush. And, to make matters worse, Julius Peppers could be waiting for Mr. Bulaga in the NFC Championship game.

The only other player I could see that falls in to this category is Sam Shields. However, with his sheer athleticism I have to think he'll be ok.

Thoughts?

denverYooper
01-12-2011, 01:49 PM
How often does Abraham line up on the left?

Smidgeon
01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Quarless admitted he already hit it. And I think Bulaga already did too. Now it's just a matter of battling through it. Which I think both are doing their best to do.

HarveyWallbangers
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Bulaga didn't started from the start of the season, so he's sort of on game #13 or 14 right now--which is about the same as a college season.

Guiness
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I guess we have to be worried about Bulaga...but how we can be more concerned about him than one of Clifton's legs just falling right off amazes me!

Lurker64
01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Bulaga didn't started from the start of the season, so he's sort of on game #13 or 14 right now--which is about the same as a college season.

Isn't "the rookie wall" more of a "mental exhaustion" thing than a "physical exhaustion" thing? Since rookies have to spend so much time thinking about what, for veterans, is just muscle memory.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Isn't "the rookie wall" more of a "mental exhaustion" thing than a "physical exhaustion" thing? Since rookies have to spend so much time thinking about what, for veterans, is just muscle memory.

While there is a physical aspect to it, I have to side with Lurker. It is more about mental breakdowns than anything else at this point.

Also, I'm not sure how much they rotate Abraham, or even how much he lines up on the left, but I am a bit worried about serious letdown from Bulaga.

I forgot all about Quarless. Clifton brings up another worry as well. If I'm not mistaken, he was completely abused on one play by Trent Cole (might have been Parker) where he showed signs of being the slow Clifton that he was at the beginning of the year.

I believe more than any game we've had this year, that this one will be decided in the trenches.

Patler
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM

I have seen it described that way quite often. As was once pointed out, the rookies essentially have no break from when practice started for their last year in college. Many go from their college season to Bowl games and All Star games, then directly to intense training for the scouting combine. Then the draft and rookie camp followed by the mandatory and voluntary off season camps. Most stay where they were drafted and continue to work out. Then training camp, the NFL season and playoffs. Many have very little break from the mental pressure for 18 months, or so. Their first extended break from it comes after their rookie season, when things start to repeat rather than continue building. The second yesr of off season camps is a lot less stressful.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Time to contact Favre's massage coordinator. These rookies need stress relieving massage therapy!

VermontPackFan
01-12-2011, 03:41 PM
BB seemed to hit it during the SF game, he was manhandled in both the SF&Det games, played sloppy in others after that but seemed to bounce back with a good game against the Giants. Hopefully he will continue to play well over our next 3 games.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 03:58 PM
BB seemed to hit it during the SF game, he was manhandled in both the SF&Det games, played sloppy in others after that but seemed to bounce back with a good game against the Giants. Hopefully he will continue to play well over our next 3 games.

McCarthy got that fixed:

http://honoluluweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/5-hour-drink.gif

Noodle
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM
I actually think, especially for a lineman, that there is a signficant physical aspect to it. When I've heard former Wisconsin OL asked about some of the biggest differences between the NFL and NCAA ball, they all say that every week in the NFL they have to play against a stud, whereas in college, you really only faced 3 or 4 studs a year.

That has got to take it's toll physically.

Joemailman
01-12-2011, 05:50 PM

For Greg Jennings in 2006, it was both. His legs were banged up, and he was making mental mistakes he hadn't made earlier in the season. He ran a wrong route against the Vikings in week 16 which resulted in a Pick 6. McCarthy then gave him The last game off.

gbgary
01-12-2011, 06:47 PM
i think the "wall" is something that usually hits them midseason...after all the otas, preseason games, and stress of making the team and playing in real games that have been game-planned for. at this point i think they're running on endorphins and really aren't rookie-like anymore.

bobblehead
01-12-2011, 09:15 PM
For Greg Jennings in 2006, it was both. His legs were banged up, and he was making mental mistakes he hadn't made earlier in the season. He ran a wrong route against the Vikings in week 16 which resulted in a Pick 6. McCarthy then gave him The last game off.

He shouldn't feel bad. He only ran one of something like 300 bad routes that resulted in picks.

VermontPackFan
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM

No one caught that I am thinking positively, eh?

Fritz
01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I hope Bryan Bulaga IS the rookie wall this Saturday night.

swede
01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
BB, the Rookie Wall, heh heh...