PDA

View Full Version : ONE IDIOTS TAKE............WINNERS AND LOSERS FROM THE PHILY GAME

Bretsky
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
http://packerrats.com/entry.php?14-PLAYOFF-VICTORY-vs.-PHILY-WINNERS-AND-LOSERS

Bretsky
01-12-2011, 07:59 PM
not sure how that worked; feel free to add your own winners and losers as well

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Losers:

1) Misspelled 'Phily' in title
2) Link to nowhere

Winners:

1) Me - I think you spared me from something I didn't need to read

P.S. WTF?

gbgary
01-12-2011, 08:37 PM
for some reason i'm not allowed to open that link. oh well.

MJZiggy
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Huh. It worked for me...

Joemailman
01-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks B. It almost seems crazy how willing the Packers are to put Shields out on an island against outstanding players. Except that it works. I think he's the biggest single difference between this defense and the one that got torched by Arizona last year.

I would have added CMIII to the winners list. One sack and so disruptive he forced Andy to bench his RT.

HowardRoark
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM
It appears as though we are getting our own bloggers here. I notice a problem (other than Joe taking ownership of my Legends thread)…..the “next” button doesn’t work. The blog starts and ends with Johnny Blood.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 08:50 PM
link is active now - nice work there Bretsky

Losers:

1) Misspelled 'Phily' in title
2) Link to nowhere

Winners:

1) Me - I think you spared me from something I didn't need to read

P.S. WTF?

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 08:50 PM
The blog starts and ends with Johnny Blood. what more could you want?

Freak Out
01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Good stuff B.....at some pics of hot wenches and were good.

Little Whiskey
01-12-2011, 08:59 PM
good insight B. well done piece.

Scott Campbell
01-12-2011, 09:05 PM
You missed Underwood on your Losers. And Cullen Jenkins? Harsh.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Fair points. What you said on JJ was spot on. I like him b/c I don't see anyone other than Jennings who has his talent and ability to get open deep, but he is very inconsistent.

MadtownPacker
01-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Well you got the one idiot part right.:lol:

Noodle
01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm ready to cash in on Jones and hope that TT can work his draft magic (or pick up someone else's reject) to find a new WR.

As I noted in another post, you have to give a nod to Bishop in the winner's category. Sets the tone with a sack to start the day, then saves the game with a diving shoe-string tackle of DeSean Jackson when it looked like the dude was gone.

pbmax
01-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Holy crap, that was downright positive Bretsky. I hope you got that out of your system in time for some good old fashioned fatalism for Saturday's jinx.

gbgary
01-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Huh. It worked for me...

i got this message...
gbgary, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Bretsky
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Gary,

I'll PM Joe to check on the issue. A while back I had let Joe know I'd occasionally write a blog here and there. What was important to me was that I was not committed to do so with a timeframe. He dropped me a message noting I could give it a shot and I wrote this up tonight and posted the URL. I'm not sure why it is not working for you but I'll drop Joe a message since I'm pretty much clueless as to how it works.

Bretsky
01-12-2011, 10:19 PM
You missed Underwood on your Losers. And Cullen Jenkins? Harsh.

ya; I know Cullen was harsh. He maintained his contain lane which did not allow Vick to scramble wild.............but how about making a play or two ? The dude is playing for a contract.

P.S............in a winners/losers piece I want to try to have at least three of each on GB and he was my sacrificial lamb

Tony Oday
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
James Jones goes for 150 and 2 TDs and no drops...write that down.

gabe
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Biggest winner in this game to me was clearly David Akers.

MadtownPacker
01-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Biggest winner in this game to me was clearly David Akers.
Haaa! Aint that the truth. I am still stunned he missed those. I have never seen him do that.

mraynrand
01-12-2011, 10:55 PM

OK, I wrote it down. Now what - do I write "Next season" or "Wishful thinking"

Patler
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
ya; I know Cullen was harsh. He maintained his contain lane which did not allow Vick to scramble wild.............but how about making a play or two ? The dude is playing for a contract.

Had Jenkins wondered from his contain responsibilities to "make a play", the likely outcome would have been Vick running free. He and the other D-linemen did exactly what they needed to do. Not letting Vick beat them with his feet was a key to the Packer victory. Jenkins may not have "made a play", but he set the conditions for others to do it, and made Vick a common quarterback whose primary weapon was passing. The entire D-line did exactly what was needed, in my opinion. They negated the unique aspect that Vick presents as a QB. That isn't an easy thing to do.

If you absolutely needed another "loser", I nominate Bulaga. He got manhandled several times, which caused hurried throws and incompletions. Rodgers' quickness got Bulaga off the hook a couple other times when he was being overpowered. He battled hard, but was struggling somewhat frequently.

Underwood's lack of awareness on the first punt, taking away the Packers first possession after a solid start by the defense should merit consideration for the losers list as well.

MadtownPacker
01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Shit this post is making start to believe he will go off too.

vince
01-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the write-up B. I'd also add CMIII to the winners' list.

Colledge played pretty well too I thought. The holding call was ticky-tack at best and he immediately responded with a very nice lead on the beautiful screen play for six. I'm not sure if he hit anyone on the play, but he was agile and got downfield with excellent timing on the screen to pave the way. That was a huge play in the game. Consistent with his career, he's frustratingly inconsistent.

It's tougher to pick the losers, but I agree with yours except that Jenkins doesn't belong there. I'd stick Underwood for his big screw up and Jarret Bush for getting beat for six after the turnover to start the second half on the losers' list. Underwood got bailed out but that could have been costly.

Noodle
01-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Vince, interesting you picked out Colledge as a winner, because I thought he was a candidate for loser. Missed blocks in the run game, was responsible for pressures, and had a very mediocre performance overall.

On the Jackson TD, Wells was the real star, taking out two Iggles with his block, though I agree it was good work by Colledge to get to the second level.

But as Vince points out, for every bad thing Colledge does, you can usually find a good thing. I just hope that next year he becomes a versatile back up.

vince
01-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Yeah I'd credit Wells too on the play. There were certainly a lot of run plays that didn't succeed and Colledge no doubt had his share of responsibility on some of them. Colledge also did a very nice job on Starks' first big run very early on though and that established the running game for the day. A number of Starks' cut-backs came behind effective seals by Colledge.

I also thought the TD in the second half was such a big play in the game for the Pack that it carried more weight.

Edit: I went back and re-watched the screen play Noodle and agree with you about that. Wells made a very nice seal on the play and because of that Colledge didn't really have anyone to block. Gold star for Wells for sure as well there.

Bretsky
01-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Buluga I thought had an ok game; he was overpowered on a few plays but held up for the most part
I should have listed Underwood (I've blacked out that play from memory) and Bush as co losers....but Bush played well on specials
Mastay deserved a spot in the winners area; he clutched up big time with the hang time on the last punt. Crosby's kickoffs were stellar

I was in the middle on Bishop; he made a great first play and saved the game with the shoestring tackle...take those two plays away and he took some very bad angles and missed some tackles he should have made.

Cheesehead Craig
01-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Count me as one of the people who didn't think Cooper was open at all. He only appeared to have a step on Williams as Williams stopped to catch the ball. Vick threw up a jump ball in hopes Cooper would come down with it. It was a stupid play on his part.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I'd add Walden to the winners list as well. To continue to perform at the level that he has for this team is simply amazing.

Also, B, try to proof read. The content is good, but the structure and grammar are a little dirty. And, not in a good way.

gbgary
01-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Gary,

I'll PM Joe to check on the issue. A while back I had let Joe know I'd occasionally write a blog here and there. What was important to me was that I was not committed to do so with a timeframe. He dropped me a message noting I could give it a shot and I wrote this up tonight and posted the URL. I'm not sure why it is not working for you but I'll drop Joe a message since I'm pretty much clueless as to how it works.

opened up fine on the work computer. thanks!

MichiganPackerFan
01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the write up!

Joe
01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
opened up fine on the work computer. thanks!

It was a permissions issue. I fixed it late last night but forgot to post that it was fixed.

If anyone else cannot see Bretsky's blog, please PM me and I'll get it handled. Thanks.

Little Whiskey
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
I'd add Walden to the winners list as well. To continue to perform at the level that he has for this team is simply amazing.

Also, B, try to proof read. The content is good, but the structure and grammar are a little dirty. And, not in a good way.

I think joe just found the sites editor! congrats!!

Fritz
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
"our story this year is that NOBODY is getting by SAM'S SHIELD."

Bretsky, great line and a great business idea: develop a new condom and call it "Sam's Shield." Put a picture of Shields on the package with a shield in front of the crotch section of his uniform. Get Shields to endorse it. You've already written the slogan - "NOTHING gets by SAM'S SHIELD."

And your secondary slogan could be "It's a winner for your wiener."

I'm telling you, this is an A-1 idea.

swede
01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Every Tom, Dick, and Harry needs a Sam to shield his missile.

Bretsky
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM

I didn't see Walden making that many good play but maybe I missed him. He was amazing the week before but I dind't notice him much lastweek.

As for the proofreading, to be honest I'll pass. I'm pretty much free writing ideas blog ideas on a voluntary basis when I have time. If it ever gets to the point where I feel like I have to proofread a post...or a blog....I'd just stop blogging. Hopefully the content is alright; the style, structure, and grammar will never resemble a ton of effort.

Joemailman
01-13-2011, 06:06 PM

I wrote "First Half".

CaptainKickass
01-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the blog.

The "Winners and Losers" used to be a weekly/every game thing and I miss it. It was one of my favorite reads after a game. Thanks for the resurrection.

Tarlam!
01-14-2011, 03:17 AM

Back when Ziggy was the Desperate Housewife Rat, she was the 1st Assistant Editor-in-Chief of the PR homepage. I know I was thankful.