PDA

View Full Version : Everyone start saying a prayer

Tony Oday
01-14-2011, 12:17 PM
That the Vikings are dumb enough to pick Cam Newton :) that will be like $30 million and another wasted 3 years :)

Brandon494
01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Yea I really want them to pick the Heisman trophy winner whos just won a national championship who I think will compared to Big Ben in the NFL.

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Big Ben or JaMarcus Russell? It will be interesting to see what end of the spectrum he falls. He seems like a kid that will work harder than Russell, so I tend to think he has a shot to be pretty good. I doubt he turns into Big Ben though. Maybe Josh Freeman.

packers11
01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
J. Russell 2.0 (except I don't think Carolina is stupid enough to draft him #1 overall) ... I hope the Vikings draft him... oh and don't get me started with some Heisman winning qb's... ex : Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Jason White...

PLEASE NEWTON!!! GO TO THE VIKINGS!!!

Guiness
01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Luck going back to school throws a real monkey wrench into the top of the draft.

Honestly, if the draft goes ahead, I think that's a HUGE mistake on his part. He is almost guaranteed #1 pick overall, certainly top 5. He'd be set for life. Want to get your education? Sock away a measly 500K from your rookie contract to use for that.

In the past couple of years we've seen 2 examples of QB's projected to go high, who went back to school and had weaknesses exposed, then slipped in the draft. One was picked by the Packers - Brohm - he would've went first round the year before. The other was Matt Leinart (http://www.nfl.com/players/mattleinart/profile?id=LEI453701), who went from a concensus #1 to #10. In both cases, the scouts were right, and they should never have been ranked as high.

Tony Oday
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
lol Newton as a Big Ben...hahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhaha hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahah

Brandon494
01-14-2011, 01:09 PM
No offense but do you guys even watch football? Only thing he has in common with Russel is that they are both big black QBs. They play nothing alike and ran a completely different offense in college. I mean that's almost as funny as someone who compared Kuhn to Riggins just because he's a white RB.

packers11
01-14-2011, 01:13 PM
No offense but do you guys even watch football? Only thing he has in common with Russel is that they are both big black QBs. They play nothing alike and ran a completely different offense in college. I mean that's almost as funny as someone who compared Kuhn to Riggins just because he's a white RB.

Yes... Yes I do... He reminds me of Russell... Strong arm but couldn't hit a wide open receiver if his life depended on it... Only thing that makes him different is that he actually has some type of work ethic...

Brandon494
01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Guisness, don't forget about Lock from Washington who was projected to be a top 5 pick but stayed in school. Now he's not even a first round draft pick. Also have to factor in if they put in a rookie cap, Luck will not get nearly as much money.

Brandon494
01-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Packers11, just because he has a strong arm he reminds you of Russel? Come on man, dude ran for 1500 yards and 20 TDs. You really haven't watched Cam play if you think he's a inaccurate passer but I'm guessing your only going by the championship game instead of his whole body of work. 66% comp 30 TDs and 7 INT on top of his rushing stats. I could understand comparing him to VY even though I think he'll be better but no way can you compare him to Russell.

Lurker64
01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
The problem with Newton is not that he's Jamarcus Russell. The problem with Newton is that his college experience has him doing the zone read stuff, and having to wait for a receiver to become open before he throws the ball. He doesn't see the field all that well. If he doesn't learn to throw the ball to the spot that the receiver is going to be before the receiver is open, and he never learns to read the whole field... then he won't make it as an NFL QB, no matter how good an athlete he is. In theory, you could teach him these things... but money changes people and in theory you could teach Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith to do these things too.

Tony Oday
01-14-2011, 01:32 PM
I dont think he is the same QB as Russell just going to be as a big of a bust. Zone reads and the fact that he cant run over NFL players will doom his career...UNLESS he actually goes in and works and someone doesnt force him to start right away...

RashanGary
01-14-2011, 01:33 PM
My gut:

Liar, head case, no way.

But we'll see.

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Both guys played in the SEC. Newton went for 66%, 30 TDs, and 7 picks. Russell went for 68%, 28 TDs, and 8 picks. Almost identical. Newton is more athletic than Russell and he seems like a harder worker, so I'm not projecting him to do anything. However, his comparison has as much chance of being correct as your comparison to Big Ben.

Lurker64
01-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Both guys played in the SEC. Newton went for 66%, 30 TDs, and 7 picks. Russell went for 68%, 28 TDs, and 8 picks. Almost identical. Newton is more athletic than Russell and he seems like a harder worker, so I'm not projecting him to do anything. However, his comparison has as much chance of being correct as your comparison to Big Ben.

Part of the issue was that by all accounts Russell was a good kid in college, and while Newton's image has been considerably whitewashed this year, there's no denying that he's made some really bad choices that a more honest kid wouldn't do.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
The problem with Newton is not that he's Jamarcus Russell. The problem with Newton is that his college experience has him doing the zone read stuff, and having to wait for a receiver to become open before he throws the ball. He doesn't see the field all that well. If he doesn't learn to throw the ball to the spot that the receiver is going to be before the receiver is open, and he never learns to read the whole field... then he won't make it as an NFL QB, no matter how good an athlete he is. In theory, you could teach him these things... but money changes people and in theory you could teach Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith to do these things too.

Best post of the thread. Vince Young suffered and still suffers from this same problem. All the athletic ability in the world can't make up for technique in the NFL. Newton might be able to relearn the way he approaches the quarterback position, but I'd bet against it.

Freak Out
01-14-2011, 01:49 PM
So how many GMs take a chance on him if they have the 1st pick? Is he the kind of guy you build a team around or a project? I'm voting project. The guy has some crazy football ability but does it translate to NFL success as a QB?

Guiness
01-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Guisness, don't forget about Lock from Washington who was projected to be a top 5 pick but stayed in school. Now he's not even a first round draft pick. Also have to factor in if they put in a rookie cap, Luck will not get nearly as much money.

I was alluding to the rookie cap in my post - what happens there could make a huge difference to any decision by top college players. Does he stand to make a windfall? Even if there is a rookie cap, I would still think the #1 pick would end up with a pretty damn good contract, but I guess any thoughts on that are pure conjecture. Certainly there'll be a lot more money than if he were to slip to the second.

Is there definitely going to be a draft this year? Could this be a matter of him playing his cards close to the vest? If there's no CBA, do they hold one? I wonder how the NCAA would handle a player who declared, then there was no draft?

SkinBasket
01-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Newton is a retard who deserves to be executed. And his throwing mechanics kind of suck ass whenever there's pressure. And he can't run for shit against good defenses, which means he ain't going to be running nowhere in the NFL.

B.U.S.T.

Guiness
01-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

The guy's line through college doesn't mean much in a vacuum. I don't know much about either guy's career, and if they are similar at all, but all the line tells me is that they appear to both have had good college careers. Flynn was 56.1% with 31TD's and 14INT's. Pretty similar too, no?

MadScientist
01-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Split the difference and call him Daunte Culpepper 2.0?

Brandon494
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM

No its not because I'm going by actually watching these players, not going by stats. Andrew Luck went for 70% for 32 TDs and 8 TDs, does that mean he'll be the next Russell?

Brandon494
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
So how many GMs take a chance on him if they have the 1st pick? Is he the kind of guy you build a team around or a project? I'm voting project. The guy has some crazy football ability but does it translate to NFL success as a QB?

No one is going to start him #1 overall. He'll go in the mid to late first round because hes a project just like Tebow.

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

The guy's line through college doesn't mean much in a vacuum. I don't know much about either guy's career, and if they are similar at all, but all the line tells me is that they appear to both have had good college careers. Flynn was 56.1% with 31TD's and 14INT's. Pretty similar too, no?

I don't really care. Just pointing out there are similarities between the two. Similar size. Both played in the same conference with similar results. Both are athletic. Both have big arms. Both have questionable accuracy (despite having great completion % in college). Both played in systems where the transition to the NFL might be tough. Race isn't the only reason they are compared. Now, Netwon is more athletic, and he appears to be a harder worker. Maybe he's the next Big Ben. Maybe he's the next JaMarcus Russell. Maybe he falls somewhere in between--like Daunte Culpepper or Josh Freeman. Outside of Big Ben, I'm not sure there's a big, athletic white dude to compare him to. Maybe Ryan Leaf. He was big and athletic. So was David Klingler.

RashanGary
01-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Josh Freeman might be really good, Harvey. Hard worker, great tools. . . . It's tough to compare anyone to him because you don't know what he could become. I'm intrigued by Josh Freeman.

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
You certainly can't argue with the results up this point. Good stats and his team won 10 games. To be honest though, I haven't watched him much. I don't get to see Tampa Bay games that often. I even missed the Green Bay-Tampa Bay game last year.

Comparing him to Daunte isn't an insult. I happen to think that Daunte was pretty damn good at his best (and before he blew out his knee). They're all huge, mobile QBs with big arms. Freeman seems to have the leadership, work ethic, and smarts that Russell lacked.

Guiness
01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Culpepper was indeed a damn good QB for a number of years. Huge, and knew how to use his size - I remember his bowling over our DE's a couple of times.

Lurker64
01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
The guy I'd really like to see the Vikings pick is Ryan Mallet, our of Arkansas. He's unathletic, immobile, can only throw to guys who are open, is terribly inaccurate on checkdowns, is at least as much of an entitled asshole as Ryan Leaf, and he comes from the offense that made Brian Brohm a star in college. That, right there, is the perfect Vikings quarterback.

MadScientist
01-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Comparing him to Daunte isn't an insult. I happen to think that Daunte was pretty damn good at his best (and before he blew out his knee). They're all huge, mobile QBs with big arms. Freeman seems to have the leadership, work ethic, and smarts that Russell lacked.

Right, Culpepper was good before injuries and trading Moss took their toll. Not quite the career of Big Ben, but he still gave the Packers fits for years. That's why I won't wish for the Vikings to get Cam, because there is a fair shot that he will give the Packers fits for years. There will be enough trouble in the division with Chi, and with Det on the rise.

It's only safe to wish the for a lack of success for the Vikings (except for getting a new stadium, I'd like them to stay in the division and suck).

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2011, 04:53 PM
I want the Vikings to take that Gabbert guy.

Fritz
01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't touch the guy if I were an NFL GM.

But I'm not an NFL GM. I'm just a guy stalking Drew Barrymore.

Brandon494
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't really care. Just pointing out there are similarities between the two. Similar size. Both played in the same conference with similar results. Both are athletic. Both have big arms. Both have questionable accuracy (despite having great completion % in college). Both played in systems where the transition to the NFL might be tough. Race isn't the only reason they are compared. Now, Netwon is more athletic, and he appears to be a harder worker. Maybe he's the next Big Ben. Maybe he's the next JaMarcus Russell. Maybe he falls somewhere in between--like Daunte Culpepper or Josh Freeman. Outside of Big Ben, I'm not sure there's a big, athletic white dude to compare him to. Maybe Ryan Leaf. He was big and athletic. So was David Klingler.

Yes they have similairies but they dont have similiar playing styles. Yes Russell has the size and cannon arm like Cam but he doesnt have the mobility and improvisational skills which make him more comparable to Big Ben IMO. I mean did you guys actually watch these games or just going by what you see on ESPN? This guy ran for 200 yards three weeks in arow against Kentucky, Arkansas, and LSU totalling for 9 TDs and you want to compare him to Russell? Now Big Ben doesnt have the moblity like Cam but anyone who knows football knows Big Ben is the best in the league at keeping a play alive because hes so hard to bring down. Cam also showed that trait this season at Auburn. I never once saw that with Russell.

Will he be as good as Big Ben? Doubt it but I guarntee he'll be closer to Big Ben then Russell in the NFL.

get louder at lambeau
01-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Yes they have similairies but they dont have similiar playing styles. Yes Russell has the size and cannon arm like Cam but he doesnt have the mobility and improvisational skills which make him more comparable to Big Ben IMO. I mean did you guys actually watch these games or just going by what you see on ESPN? This guy ran for 200 yards three weeks in arow against Kentucky, Arkansas, and LSU totalling for 9 TDs and you want to compare him to Russell? Now Big Ben doesnt have the moblity like Cam but anyone who knows football knows Big Ben is the best in the league at keeping a play alive because hes so hard to bring down. Cam also showed that trait this season at Auburn. I never once saw that with Russell.

Will he be as good as Big Ben? Doubt it but I guarntee he'll be closer to Big Ben then Russell in the NFL.

So you're calling him a potential rapist?

Lurker64
01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
I want the Vikings to take that Gabbert guy.

I think Gabbert and Locker are the QBs this draft who may end up being worth more than two hills of beans, so I would prefer the Vikings stay away from both of them. Gabbert, I think, we're safe on... he should be the first QB taken.

Fritz
01-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Doesn't matter who they take. It's the Vikings.

swede
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Viking fans are just happy to see a card with a name get to Roger's table before their time is up.

Oh, and,,,

http://www.fullissue.com/wp-content/uploads/Drew-Barrymore.jpg

SkinBasket
01-14-2011, 09:15 PM
So you're calling him a potential rapist?

Well done. And an excellent point.

Fritz
01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Viking fans are just happy to see a card with a name get to Roger's table before their time is up.

Oh, and,,,

http://www.fullissue.com/wp-content/uploads/Drew-Barrymore.jpg

Thanks, Swede! She's way hotter than Cam Newton AND Jamarcus Russell put together!

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2011, 10:54 PM
I think Gabbert and Locker are the QBs this draft who may end up being worth more than two hills of beans, so I would prefer the Vikings stay away from both of them. Gabbert, I think, we're safe on... he should be the first QB taken.

I don't like Gabbert much. He has two strikes. He didn't play very well this year and he only had like 25 college starts. Also, his name is Blaine Gabbert. I just can't see somebody named Blaine Gabbert being a stud.
:)

Lurker64
01-15-2011, 01:11 AM
I don't like Gabbert much. He has two strikes. He didn't play very well this year and he only had like 25 college starts. Also, his name is Blaine Gabbert. I just can't see somebody named Blaine Gabbert being a stud.
:)

I'm not sure why you thing a 63.4% completion percentage, with 3186 passing yards, 16 TDs, and only 9 INTs at a middling program without many other draftable players is "didn't play very well this year." Those aren't "you have to change your pants" numbers, but evaluating college QBs is seldom about the numbers, and 25 starts is 9 more than Mark Sanchez had.

SnakeLH2006
01-15-2011, 01:20 AM
Luck is Peyton Manning with more mobility (coming out of college).

Newton is like JaMarcus Russell with more running ability and more smarts (but equal accuracy coming out of college).

Newton will bust hard....someone will pick him in the 2nd.....Let's hope the Vikes do it in the first. LOL.

swede
01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I'll see your Blaine Gabbert and raise you Fran Tarkenton