PDA

View Full Version : Favre has fewer friends in lockerroom

packers11
08-08-2006, 08:53 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/PKR01/60808082/1989

kind of a sad article lol... I feel bad for him, let me be on the team, ill go out for a golf game :wink:

GBRulz
08-08-2006, 09:03 PM
"I don't even have his number" (Rodgers says about Favre)

That's funny because remember that night my friend and I chatted with Aaron and a mutual friend of all of ours and I sent some of you pics from my camera phone? Anyhow, I rememer him telling us how he's talked to Brett quite a bit in the last month, blah blah blah. Oh well, not a big deal.

and by the way..if he considers his house small, I wonder if he would call what I live in, a garage? His house is probably 3500-4000', not exactly what I would call small!

MadtownPacker
08-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Favre has fewer friends in lockerroom (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/PKR01/60808082/1989")

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Last season, Craig Nall was there for hunting and Ryan Longwell for golfing.

Before them, guys like Doug Pederson and Billy Joe Tolliver were his sporting buddies. And before them, when his off-the-field activities were drinking and partying, Mark Chmura and Frank Winters were always up for a good time.

Brett Favre, the 36-year-old quarterback, has outlasted them all.
As he prepares for his 16th NFL season (15th with the Green Bay Packers), Favre has come to the realization that he is essentially without a close friend in the locker room. Gone are all of his buddies from the glory days, a fact that was reinforced this week when he sat alone at his locker for 10 minutes and not a single player came by to chat. The only person who bothered to stop by was a member of the equipment staff.

A few minutes later, Favre was asked a simple yet sad question: Does he have any friends left on this team?

“Not really,” Favre said. “No one I go play golf with or anything like that.”

It didn’t used to be that way. Last year, Favre and Nall went hunting whenever they had a day off. If it was golf Favre wanted, Longwell was game. During the summer of 2001, when Tolliver was in camp with the Packers, he and Favre escaped to the golf course at every opportunity.

“As I’ve gotten older,” Favre said, “I’ve become more a loner. I think I’ve played golf twice since January. When (Tolliver) was here, we’d play every day, every single day. The new (training camp) schedule has a little something to do with that, but I wouldn’t mind going out there and hitting some balls or something.”

Such is life when you’re the second-oldest player on the roster. Only long snapper Rob Davis, who is 37, is older than Favre. Of the 88 players currently on the Packers’ roster, 68 of them are at least 10 years younger than Favre.

“It’s different for me around here now,” Favre said. “At one time there was Frankie and Doug and Billy Joe and Ryan. We used to have good times. You look around and all of a sudden it’s like they’re gone. These guys here still do the same things I used to do. I just don’t know much about them. Me and Corey Williams went hunting a couple of times last year, but that’s about it.

“As you get older, some of the things you enjoy doing maybe you still do, but you do them on your own terms.”

Favre’s lack of a close friend on the team actually entered his mind when he was deciding whether to return or retire. During his period of indecision, he watched Nall sign with the Buffalo Bills and Longwell with the Minnesota Vikings.

“From an outsider’s perspective or a fan’s perspective or the organization’s perspective, they’d probably say, ‘What’s that got to do with anything?’” Favre said. “But I can’t expect them to see that from my perspective.”

If Favre has anything resembling friends on this team, he can count them on one hand. Receiver Donald Driver often attends Favre’s charity golf outing in Mississippi. Favre occasionally chats in the locker room with fullback William Henderson or Davis. During a minicamp this offseason, Favre and Davis could be heard chatting near Favre’s locker about digging ditches in the yard.

“Landscaping is kind of my hobby now, and those are the kinds of things us old folks talk about I guess,” Davis said. “But I don’t go out of my way (to talk to Favre) just because his friends left. I’ve had friends leave, too. Our talks aren’t choreographed. We’ve got a great working relationship. We’ve never gone out and broken bread or shared a beer or anything like that, but I think we’ve got mutual respect for each other.”

Players typically spend more time with their position group than with anyone else on the team, and the other three quarterbacks on the Packers’ roster are 22 years old (Aaron Rodgers), 23 (Ingle Martin) and 24 (Brian Wrobel).

“His daughter (Brittany) is almost 18, so I’m closer to her age than to his age,” Rodgers said. “But we still can have a good time and joke around.”

But for Rodgers, like almost everyone else on the team, it ends when they leave Lambeau Field.

“I don’t have his phone number,” Rodgers said. “Ours is strictly a working relationship and a very good one.”

Martin, a rookie who only met Favre for the first time about four months ago, asked Favre to go fishing on Sunday, the Packers’ most recent day off.

“I knew he probably wouldn’t go,” Martin said, “but I just asked him because he’s been around and I wondered if he knew of any good spots. I guess he’s not a big fisherman.”

So what will Favre do on his days off this season?

“We always used to do something,” Favre said. “I guess now I’ll just do it by myself.”

His wife, Deanna, and their daughter, Breleigh, 7, are scheduled to arrive in Green Bay later this month. Brittany once again will remain in Mississippi for school, where she is a senior in high school, while Breleigh will start second grade at Holy Family school.

“They’ll be here most of the season but like three or four times (Deanna) will go home,” Favre said. “We bought a little house not even a mile from (Lambeau Field). It’s small, kind of like where we used to live in Park Place. It’s just one story, right in the middle of a regular neighborhood, but I don’t go out much.”

MJZiggy
08-08-2006, 09:18 PM
He's talking like an old hermit. I have a feeling that once he does retire, it really will be like he fell off the face of the planet.

gbpackfan
08-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I'll be his friend.

TPF
08-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Man, I feel kinda bad for him. Good that Ruvell made an attempt to be friends. I like that kid, I hope he makes the team.

Rastak
08-08-2006, 09:22 PM
I'll be his friend.

I don't thing he's looking for that type of "friend".

J/K.....J/K......this place is kind of goofy tonight....(damn, I sound like Madden now.....)

Deputy Nutz
08-08-2006, 09:29 PM
I see it more as Favre isolating himself from his younger teammates. I think it is natural.

I still don't see the big deal about him going up to Mark Tauscher, or Aaron Rodgers and asking if they wanna strike a couple of golf balls. They were both on that Golf Channel Challenge with him.

Shit drop me a line Brett, I will go kill some shit with ya, just as long as you don't invite that goddamn Bill Schroeder this time.

Bretsky
08-08-2006, 09:37 PM
THIS IS KIND OF A BUMMER......BUT

If Favre shows enthusiam and a great will to win and makes an effort to be liked, the youth can also rally around him ......remember those last two frickin Elway years..........aka....EVERYBODY loved the guy and the win one for John rally was almost sickening.

B

GrnBay007
08-08-2006, 09:40 PM
We can't have him getting all depressed. Nutz, loan him some of your prozac.

B - send him some grail pics. :razz:

Bretsky
08-08-2006, 09:43 PM
We can't have him getting all depressed. Nutz, loan him some of your prozac.

B - send him some grail pics. :razz:

CAN I HOOK YOU AND DEANNA UP TOGETHER FOR HIM ?

COME ON 007, FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM :wink:

GrnBay007
08-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I was hoping you would just suggest a lap dance :twisted:

hehe, j/k

Bretsky
08-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I was hoping you would just suggest a lap dance :twisted:

hehe, j/k

Well sure if you're offerning freebies I'll take one too :wink:

MJZiggy
08-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I'll be his friend. Does this mean I can hang out in the locker room?

GrnBay007
08-08-2006, 10:26 PM
THIS IS KIND OF A BUMMER......BUT

If Favre shows enthusiam and a great will to win and makes an effort to be liked, the youth can also rally around him ......remember those last two frickin Elway years..........aka....EVERYBODY loved the guy and the win one for John rally was almost sickening.

B

I think you are right B, many of the young guys probably grew up watching Favre play and would love to see him go out (retire) after seeing him get to the Big Game again.

Row 67
08-08-2006, 10:33 PM
It might be where his freaking locker is. He's on the end, just as you come into the locker room from the field. On the other side of him, its Billy Cundiff, a newcomer. The other QB's aren't even close to him.

I thought that was one of the more surprising aspects of the locker room tour.

gbgary
08-08-2006, 11:28 PM
I have a feeling that once he does retire, it really will be like he fell off the face of the planet.

i agree. that's what dandy-don meredith did when he retired from the 'boys.

woodbuck27
08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Man, I feel kinda bad for him. Good that Ruvell made an attempt to be friends. I like that kid, I hope he makes the team.

Me too. :mrgreen:

That story - Favre and no friends - BRUTAL. Of course the departure of Craig Nall and Ryan Longwell had to hurt Brett.

Someone has to step up but Favre has to get there too. Life is all about change.

Partial
08-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Gary,

is that what I think it is in your avatar? I remember that game like it was yesterday!

GrnBay007
08-08-2006, 11:42 PM
That Magic Moment!! :mrgreen:

http://www.packerpalace.com/blog/magicmoment2ani.gif

GrnBay007
08-08-2006, 11:43 PM
And then............

http://www.packerpalace.com/blog/vikes-priceless1.jpg

gbgary
08-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Gary,

is that what I think it is in your avatar? I remember that game like it was yesterday!

YES!! THE GREAT NATE POOLE!!
i'll never forget it either. this is the best angle of the catch that i've seen. look at the idgit in the back with his arms up.
http://www.fototime.com/AC693F2E784528F/standard.jpg

Rastak
08-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Comon guys, show a little respect.... :wink:

Do I post a bunch of 4th and 26 pics? Pack-Bronco super bowl pics?
Vikes Pack first ever playoff meeting pics? Pick any game you want last year pics?

Noooooo, I certainly don't..... :shock:

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 06:29 AM

Vikes Pack first ever playoff meeting pics? Pick any game you want last year pics?

Noooooo, I certainly don't..... :shock:...and you wont, because then we will have to post 1998 pics or maybe 4 Superbowl loss pics if we can find any from that long, long, long ago. :wink:

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Well you never said anything about audio...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.packerrats.com/gallery/nice.mp3

Rastak
08-09-2006, 06:47 AM

Noooooo, I certainly don't..... :shock:...and you wont, because then we will have to post 1998 pics or maybe 4 Superbowl loss pics if we can find any from that long, long, long ago. :wink:

It tooks years but I'm over all that 70's stuff....great years actually, just never the big prize. Anyway, you'd think you guys would have more to worry about than the Vikes.....per you guys they have a terrible coach and will continue to choke under his leadership, just like Tice so go bash the Bears, your real threat.... :mrgreen:

TheRaven
08-09-2006, 07:49 AM
What a sob story. Who cares Brett..spend more time concentrating on football then..you need it more now than you did previously apparently.

Badgepack
08-09-2006, 08:19 AM
It might be where his freaking locker is. He's on the end, just as you come into the locker room from the field. On the other side of him, its Billy Cundiff, a newcomer. The other QB's aren't even close to him.

I thought that was one of the more surprising aspects of the locker room tour.

I heard that Favre has his own "locker room" away from the main one.

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
in a way Badge, that is correct. He usually doesn't shower and change with the team after games when the reporters are allowed in. He obviously would get mobbed by the press.

prsnfoto
08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
[quote="Bretsky"]THIS IS KIND OF A BUMMER......BUT

I am more interested in the fact they purchased a house after selling their previous one years ago? Brett might have more left in yhe tank than we all think :mrgreen:

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I hope so too, but I wouldn't read too much into that. It took him about 3 years to sell his previous house. The fact that he bought another house really doesn't mean anything. he basically downgraded to a home that would be a quick sell when it's time or him to leave

jack's smirking revenge
08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Sweet pic gary!

tyler

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't really mean anything by posting this ... it's just an observation. But, I wondered why Henerson and Favre aren't closer, I mean as many years as they've been together. I have to say this ... once again ... don't mean anything by it, but, if you look at all Brett's friends from the years, they're all ... how can I put this ... well, you would see freckles on their respective bodies alot easier than other, say, darker pigmented players on the team. OK, I'm actually going to hit the submit button now. :cool:

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Maybe Hendu doesn't like white people.
:D

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 01:52 PM
You mean it's not just great tan???!!!! :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 01:58 PM

Can't find those.

The Vikings - had a HUGE Viking bonfire. :mrgreen:

Most communitires burn Christmas (errrrr - excuse me) Holiday tree's.

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't really mean anything by posting this ... it's just an observation. But, I wondered why Henerson and Favre aren't closer, I mean as many years as they've been together. I have to say this ... once again ... don't mean anything by it, but, if you look at all Brett's friends from the years, they're all ... how can I put this ... well, you would see freckles on their respective bodies alot easier than other, say, darker pigmented players on the team. OK, I'm actually going to hit the submit button now. :cool:

You've got my attention.

Murphy37
08-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Well I am trying not to read too much into this article. Simple facts: Favre is an older dude in the locker room and he is not as interested in chaising the muff around and getting gooned out of his mind like the younger guys. He is a family guy now. No big deal right? Well I hope he still developes a level of chemistry with his teamates. This chemistry seems to be a neccessity in winning. They don't have to go home after practice and play grab ass or anything. They just have to have a bond of some soart. Some hunting or golfing would definitly do the trick. Maybe the QB's and receivers get together for dinner every once in awhile or something. Hell I dunno, somethin to form team chemistry. I just feel that if Brett doesn't hang out with some of the guys at least a little bit, the leadership role could suffer.

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 02:17 PM

You've got my attention.

Step back and turn away, there is nothing to see here!!

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 03:00 PM

You've got my attention.

Step back and turn away, there is nothing to see here!!

Just for what it may be worth:

Last season prior to the Game Vs. the Cleveland Browns, Reggie Whites number was retired. In that ceremony players said many nice things about Reggie White . . .

and one player FB William Henderson said to honor Reggie White - his intention was to go out and play the best he was capable of against "the Browns".

What happened for OUR Offence involving FB William Henderson? Did he play well?

* 1st Qtr. 13:57 and the score at 0 - 0 and at 1st-and-10 own 31 yard line. Favre pass complete to Henderson for 5 yards.

* 3rd Qtr. 7:14 - score Packers 7 - 13 Browns - 2nd-and-2 own 47 yard line - Favre pass completed to William Henderson for 7 yards (first down)

* 3rd Qtr. 6:06 Packers 7 - 13 Browns 2nd-and-7 opp 43 yard line - Favre pass complete to William Henderson for 6 yards

* 4 Qtr. 9:21 score Packers 10 - Browns 20 2nd-and-8 own 6 yard line - Favre pass complete to William Henderson for 3 yards

* 4 Qtr. 8:39 Packers 10 - 20 Browns; and at 3rd-and-5 own 9 yard line - Favre pass complete to William Henderson for 6 yards (first down)

We lost that game 26-24 to the Browns.

Brett Favre went 5 for 5 to FB William Henderson for 27 yards and two first downs. Twice in that game Brett Favre passed to William Henderson on consecutive offensive plays.

GO PACKERS and HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
I think it's an age difference. I don't know why Henderson and Favre aren't better friends, but they seem to have a good working relationship. Also, Brett has mentioned that Reggie White would call him often and tell him "he loved him," so they must have been good friends. The guy on another team that might be Brett's best friend is Steve McNair. I think guys just gravitate to guys that like to do similar things as you. Maybe Hendu isn't much of a golfer or hunter. Interesting that Brett went hunting with Corey Williams a couple of times last year. We need to find Brett more hunting and golfing partners. You'd think a small town guy and family guy like Aaron Kampman would be a good fit, but who knows. Like Murphy said, Favre doesn't seem to party much anymore, and these other guys like to get their groove on.

jack's smirking revenge
08-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I tried to get into the locker room to be Favre's friend. Evidentally, all of the laundry guys have seen that commercial where the dude hangs out in the laundry bin stealing jerseys. Got kicked out pretty fast after they discovered I was in there.

Never hurts to try though (may not hurt, but it sure can STINK).

My next route will be to hang out at Favre's steakhouse until he shows up. Think they have a laundry bin there?

tyler

Lare
08-09-2006, 04:29 PM
While reading this article, I started thinking.

Name one move TT has made in the last two years that could be considered to have been made to try and keep Brett around longer.

Didn't bring in any FA OL help.
Didn't bring in any FA WR help.
Didn't bring in any FA or draft RB help.
Didn't bring in any TE help.
Didn't bring in any FB help.
Drafted a QB #1.
Brought in a new HC & OC with a new scheme.
Let all his friends all go.

It's almost like TT is..................., No, couldn't be.

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 05:10 PM

Name one move TT has made in the last two years that could be considered to have been made to try and keep Brett around longer.

Drafted a QB #1.

Lare, this unique perspective and humor is why I enjoy(ed) reading your posts at chatters.

Sincerely, Jimbolobo

packers11
08-09-2006, 08:35 PM

Drafted a QB #1.

yea I can see it now..... T.O and Brett Favre best friends :wink:
Since T.O always gets along with his QB's, im sure him and Brett would have a great time fishing,hunting, and golfing :D

BF4MVP
08-09-2006, 10:03 PM
This article makes me sad a little bit. No one should be lonely, especially an all-around good guy like Favre :sad:

Looks like Ingle wanted to take him fishing though. I wonder why he didn't go?

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 10:42 PM
It seems like it at first glance but I think he is just trying to restock a team that was depleted and heading no where. I think they may be a very strong team in 2007. Maybe TT asked Favre to try to hang on until then?

GrnBay007
08-09-2006, 10:44 PM
I think they may be a very strong team in 2007. Maybe TT asked Favre to try to hang on until then?

Maybe TT should take up golf and hunting then. :mrgreen:

Rastak
08-09-2006, 10:44 PM
This article makes me sad a little bit. No one should be lonely, especially an all-around good guy like Favre :sad:

Oh hell, I don't think he's lonely...but he is a whole lot older than most of the players, and he has this whole routine down pat so I can see why he is more by himself, he's just finishing out the last year or two of a fantastic career. It's just the aging process. He's a family guy now and couldn't give a shit about the NFL glitz and party scene...that's my take anyway.

(Umm, after a moments thought, is there a party glitz scene in Green Bay, maybe we better scratch that)

GrnBay007
08-09-2006, 10:46 PM
just say party scene.......leave out the glitz. :D

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I heard there's an appleby's... :roll:

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Maybe TT should take up golf and hunting then. :mrgreen:
Well he did surprise many with the chew sharing with Favre. Who know, he might like to kill things. He does fire people for a living.

GBRulz
08-10-2006, 12:29 AM

Oh hell, I don't think he's lonely...but he is a whole lot older than most of the players, and he has this whole routine down pat so I can see why he is more by himself, he's just finishing out the last year or two of a fantastic career. It's just the aging process. He's a family guy now and couldn't give a shit about the NFL glitz and party scene...that's my take anyway.

(Umm, after a moments thought, is there a party glitz scene in Green Bay, maybe we better scratch that)

Yeah, night life is lame around here...but I bet the GB bars have more TV's per square foot in places than anywhere else! Heck, you can even watch TV in the bathroom at Curly's!