PDA

View Full Version : Brian Willaims Doubtful

RashanGary
01-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Falcons nickle back is ruled doubtful for Saturdays game. Chris Owens will play in his place. You have to think McCarthy and Rodgers will look to exploit his weakness in coverage.

RashanGary
01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
We'll probably try to get them in dime too. See how their 4th CB holds up on Nelson.

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
We'll probably try to get them in dime too. See how their 4th CB holds up on Nelson.
I hope they do hold, it's 5 yards and an automatic first down.

vince
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
The Packers were successful last time going Big 5. I wonder if we might see Big 4 (to exploit the CB situation) plus Starks. Starks' running was the secret weapon last week. At some point, his ability to catch it and run is going to be exploited. Jackson is a good receiver out of the backfield, particularly in the screen game, but I think Starks is better ronning routes and catching it out of the backfield.

RashanGary
01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree Vince. 4 wide with Starks is our best package right now.

Jennings
Jones
Starks
Driver
Nelson

Is our most dangerous package and it forces them into dime where they're thin.

RashanGary
01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
I think we'll see quite a bit of 4 wide, just my guess. And probably some three wide with Quarless too.

Freak Out
01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
There is a bunch of big names that were listed as questionable as well...but they all practiced today which says they will probably be on the field come Saturday night.

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I'd like to see one back (Starks on early downs and Jackson on 3rd downs) with 4 wides also.

Fritz
01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
What about that power formation with Kuhn, Johnson, and Starks? If you traded some handoffs between Starks and Kuhn, that might be fun. Then throw out of it once in a while.

CaptainKickass
01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
What about that power formation with Kuhn, Johnson, and Starks? If you traded some handoffs between Starks and Kuhn, that might be fun. Then throw out of it once in a while.

It's one of 2 variations of the Wishbone set.

I've seen it referred to elsewhere as "Sporting the Bone"

Fritz
01-14-2011, 06:04 PM
And if they line up there and blow the play, it's called "Boning the sport."

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2011, 09:01 PM
The Packers were successful last time going Big 5. I wonder if we might see Big 4 (to exploit the CB situation) plus Starks. Starks' running was the secret weapon last week. At some point, his ability to catch it and run is going to be exploited. Jackson is a good receiver out of the backfield, particularly in the screen game, but I think Starks is better ronning routes and catching it out of the backfield.

I'd prefer Jackson simply for the pass blocking. He can read and pick up blitzers extremely well. I haven't seen enough of Starks pass blocking to trust him with ARods future.

Fritz
01-14-2011, 10:05 PM
What is Brian Williams doubtful of, anyway?

RashanGary
01-14-2011, 10:40 PM
He's doubtful to play in Saturdays game.

OS PA
01-15-2011, 12:26 AM

That was a hell of a formation for us in Philly. Having the double fullbacks split with the running back behind didn't show our hand. We were able to run to either side, because we didn't need to stick a tight end on the line to show a strong and a weak side. I think we'll run a fair amount of this with Driver and Jennings flanked. McCarthy also isn't prone to just sticking fullbacks and running backs in our backfield. We could line up with the power formation, but have Quarless coming out on routes or Starks showed some good hands and fancy footwork out of the backfield last week as well.

Crowd noise has been mentioned a lot lately, but one thing people tend to forget is crowd noise makes it harder for the home teams defense. If we can create some confusion via motion, or odd formations, we may be able to catch the defense off guard while they're trying to sort it out. I actually like McCarthy as a road coach more than I do at home. He's more aggressive because he trusts Aaron to make the correct calls on the field, which allows him to open up and mess with deafened defenders.