PDA

View Full Version : Fitness

justanotherpackfan
08-08-2006, 11:41 PM

Partial
08-08-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm trying to get in shape through lifting and playing tennis for cardio. I'm cutting, my I broke my toes the other day and that has set me back on the exercising for the next week or so.

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm trying to get in shape through lifting and playing tennis for cardio. I'm cutting, my I broke my toes the other day and that has set me back on the exercising for the next week or so.
What's your diet like?

Partial
08-09-2006, 12:12 AM
it varies, I eat a lot of fruit and lean meats

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 12:56 AM

Partial
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
I religiously used to post at John Stone Fitness. How long have you been posting there?

Partial
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
That's pretty crazy man. We're forum buddies! :razz:

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 01:08 AM

Bretsky
08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Welcome to PR justanotherpackfan,

I need to get myself into an exercise regiment. I'm on weight watchers and have lost 36lbs and play softball and some misc sports.

My biggest challenge is having two kids and a wife makes it impossilbe to have a schedule.

Hands down, for conditioning I think Racquetball is the most enjoyable sport to play that is very effective for the cardio stuff. But it all depends on what the local health clubs charge as that can be quite costly.

Have a Great Day,
B

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 08:30 AM

Partial. May you recover/heal quickly. :mrgreen:

All through High School I lifted almost daily allowing for time to heal. As a young adult living and working in the Nuclear Power (CANDU) Industry I was extremely active in tennis. I loved tennis and it's excellent cardio exercise and challenging from a competitive standpoint and alot of fun. Especially doubles.

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 08:42 AM

I need to get myself into an exercise regiment. I'm on weight watchers and have lost 36lbs and play softball and some misc sports.

My biggest challenge is having two kids and a wife makes it impossilbe to have a schedule.

Hands down, for conditioning I think Racquetball is the most enjoyable sport to play that is very effective for the cardio stuff. But it all depends on what the local health clubs charge as that can be quite costly.

Have a Great Day,
B

A game of tag in the yard is great cardio. So is chasing a kid down the street as they learn to ride on 2 wheels (that one near killed me!)

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 08:54 AM

Have a Great Day,
B

B. Congratulations Man.Your doing wonderful.

May this offer you encouragement.

Ed.

Badgepack
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Tennis is a great sport because of the workout, it's free, it's fun, courts are always open, and it is one of the few sports that you can play with the Mrs.

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Tennis is a great sport because of the workout, it's free, it's fun, courts are always open, and it is one of the few sports that you can play with the Mrs.

If your fortunate in your marriage that "the Lady's" athletic and a trooper with patience.

I played all sports growing up and was pretty competent at basketball, but my wife taught me a thing or three on the basketball court and also gave me a reward.

Patricia was a star guard on the women's varsity team in High School.

I loved it! When often, at a campground in the evenings (Keene's Lake) in the State of Maine, and she and I picking sides (playing with a bunch of kids) and Patricia led her side to victory. :mrgreen:

Patricia kicked butt on a basketball court, but never enjoyed tennis as I did.

I take pleasure in whats before me. I truly was granted a gift in her basketball talent.

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 03:12 PM
What do you guys max out at on bench presses?

Partial
08-09-2006, 03:37 PM
no need to max. Just lift heavy and slower with good form. Do that, and do less reps per set at a higher weight. Your chest will explode.

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 03:59 PM
no need to max. Just lift heavy and slower with good form. Do that, and do less reps per set at a higher weight. Your chest will explode.
I know, I only max out every two weeks. I do 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 reps. My pecs are the most responsive muscles in my body.

Charles Woodson
08-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I got a nice bench about 1 month ago...

Sunday-Abs, legs

Monday-Chest back shoulder tris bis

tuesday-abs legs

wensday-Chest back shoulder tris bis

thursday abs legs

friday-Chest back shoulder tris bis

saturday abs legs

now of course i dont do the same excirsises everyday.. for instance instead of doing bench all the time for chest, i switch between incline and decline or other excersises... I try to run whenever i get the chance and eat fairly healthy..right now im maxing at 85, and isnt to bad seeming how im 5'3 and only 14... oh and on easy work outs i do 3 sets of 10 the whole time...and hard work outs i do reps 12 10 8 6, and then one rep of 12 on a different excersise for that area..kinda complicated but i have a much older brother who shows me what to do..also do alot of free weights for certain areas

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Chuck, aren't you supposed to schedule a day off in there?

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 09:30 PM
It's alright, he's young meaning he will recover faster. If he doesn't feel like he needs one he should be fine. My rest day is Sunday.

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Mine is Monday through Saturday.

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 09:38 PM

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 09:40 PM
You must build lots of mass with all that recovery time. :D

Partial
08-09-2006, 09:48 PM
I got a nice bench about 1 month ago...

Sunday-Abs, legs

Monday-Chest back shoulder tris bis

tuesday-abs legs

wensday-Chest back shoulder tris bis

thursday abs legs

friday-Chest back shoulder tris bis

saturday abs legs

now of course i dont do the same excirsises everyday.. for instance instead of doing bench all the time for chest, i switch between incline and decline or other excersises... I try to run whenever i get the chance and eat fairly healthy..right now im maxing at 85, and isnt to bad seeming how im 5'3 and only 14... oh and on easy work outs i do 3 sets of 10 the whole time...and hard work outs i do reps 12 10 8 6, and then one rep of 12 on a different excersise for that area..kinda complicated but i have a much older brother who shows me what to do..also do alot of free weights for certain areas
You could switch to something like this. I prefer training each muscle only once per week besides legs, forearms and abs. Creates longer time for recovery.
Monday-Chest & Back
Tuesday-Legs
Wednesday-Triceps & Biceps
Thursday-Legs
Friday-Shoulders
Saturday-Legs or rest
Sunday-rest(after all this day was created to be the day of rest) :mrgreen:

Do lots of squats.
Upper pecs are what's always lagging behind on people. Your lower pecs will always be much bigger so do lots of incline presses. You can also do wide-grips.
Cleans are a good lift if you play sports.
If you have a high metabolism lay off the running and focus on adding mass.
Eat lots of food. You can track your food on Fitday.com.

see, but if you goal is recovery time this isn't a good workout for it. You have too much pushing and pulling and similiar motions each day. I'd do my split like this.

Legs
Tri/Chest
Bicep/Back
Shoulders/Abs - do the military press on your chest day, make this workout your lightest

Partial
08-09-2006, 09:51 PM
You must build lots of mass with all that recovery time. :D

I think Ziggy's looking for a more petite and femine look. Besides the fact, the one thing I learned at JSF is those guys are over the top. You can get the results you want without being so strict. John stated many people can, he just cannot half ass something. I know plenty of guys who can put up over 300 bench 500 squat and lift 5 days a week shifting between bench, squats, deads, military press, and bent over barbell rows.

I wouldn't worry about the details, i'd be more concerned about eating a lot of calories regardless of what type while bulking, and lifting a lot. Do some cardio to keep the fat off from eating garbage food. That's how you get huge and can still enjoy life.

Charles Woodson
08-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Yea i see what you guys mean but im fine and if me or my brother are soar from another day we skip the workout, and we try to stick to this but we dont get to do it everyday like we would. Havent worked out since sunday because i came down with a bad case of hives...

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 10:01 PM

GrnBay007
08-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Some of the guys I work with have a nice little area in the basement of our building where they go to lift weights. I've found it interesting to pop in and watch every now and then. Damn, I just hate it when they take their shirts off!!! :twisted: :razz:

Partial
08-10-2006, 12:33 AM
see, but if you goal is recovery time this isn't a good workout for it. You have too much pushing and pulling and similiar motions each day. I'd do my split like this.

Legs
Tri/Chest
Bicep/Back
Shoulders/Abs - do the military press on your chest day, make this workout your lightest[/quote]
Who's schedule are you referring to?[/quote]

To any 4 day split. Mainly to the one you posted for Chuck Woodson

GoPackGo
08-10-2006, 08:26 AM
It's alright, he's young meaning he will recover faster. If he doesn't feel like he needs one he should be fine. My rest day is Sunday.

Whats your opinion? Cardio first , then weight lift....or weight lift first, then cardio?

justanotherpackfan
08-10-2006, 08:54 AM

Whats your opinion? Cardio first , then weight lift....or weight lift first, then cardio?
Cardio first, and then lift. You shouldn't do any cardio until 8 hours after you lift. You don't want to burn off what you're trying to put on.

justanotherpackfan
08-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Some of the guys I work with have a nice little area in the basement of our building where they go to lift weights. I've found it interesting to pop in and watch every now and then. Damn, I just hate it when they take their shirts off!!! :twisted: :razz:
A bunch of out of shape guys, I take?

GrnBay007
08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
A bunch of out of shape guys, I take?

lol NO, I was being sarcastic when I said I hate when they take their shirts off. :oops: :razz: Two of them are ex-marines....they run marathons a couple times a year.

For some reason I don't see out of shape guys using their lunch break to lift weights. lol

MJZiggy
08-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Remind me again, when are you inviting me out to visit and tour your workplace? :twisted:

GrnBay007
08-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Remind me again, when are you inviting me out to visit and tour your workplace? :twisted:

Well first you need to help me come up with more excuses to go to the basement during that time.....lol :razz:

justanotherpackfan
08-10-2006, 06:36 PM
A bunch of out of shape guys, I take?For some reason I don't see out of shape guys using their lunch break to lift weights. lol
You never know, they could be down there trying to re-live their good years seeing how much they can bench.

MJZiggy
08-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Well first you need to help me come up with more excuses to go to the basement during that time.....lol :razz:

I'll start compiling a list....

Bretsky
08-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Today I hit the 40lb weight loss mark. Not fun but seems to be working.

B

the_idle_threat
08-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Today I hit the 40lb weight loss mark. Not fun but seems to be working.

B

Way to go Bretsky! That is a very difficult accomplishment.

Time to order a DQ ice cream cake and celebrate!

justanotherpackfan
08-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Time to order a DQ ice cream cake and celebrate!
Shakes his head in shame. That's the worst thing to do. If you've made it this far what's the point of screwing it up right away. How about getting a cone from Frostie Freeze instead. Anyway, Congrats Bretsky!

the_idle_threat
08-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Japf, are you doubting my methods?

The only reason I'm not a personal trainer is because I'm way too fat.

:razz:

justanotherpackfan
08-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Japf, are you doubting my methods?

The only reason I'm not a personal trainer is because I'm way too fat.

:razz:
You can always fix that. :smile:

the_idle_threat
08-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Been there, done that. Now I'm pretty bored with the whole gym thing. I throw some weights around at home once in a while, but that's about it.

justanotherpackfan
08-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I did some Squats tonight.
3 sets of 10 reps-130 pounds
1 set of 9 reps-135 pounds
1 set of 7 reps-140 pounds.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Am a lazy bastard, I have a gym membership and haven't even been in about 4 weeks. I just wasting my money and its pretty sad..... :mrgreen:

Badgepack
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Is recovery time important if I am doing lighter lifting with lots of reps, also is recovery time needed with ab workouts?

justanotherpackfan
08-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Is recovery time important if I am doing lighter lifting with lots of reps, also is recovery time needed with ab workouts?
Of course, recovery time is needed anytime you lift. What does your lifting schedule look like? What do you do for abs? I probably wouldn't train them every day. Abs can be trained every other day or once a week depending on what you think works best. I usually train them twice per week which works too.

justanotherpackfan
08-18-2006, 10:47 PM

Badgepack
08-18-2006, 11:43 PM
As of now, I lift and do abs on tues and thurs, but want to add fri and sat to the schedule. As far as ab workout, I do about 300 different types of crunches and sit-ups per night.

justanotherpackfan
08-19-2006, 12:02 AM
As of now, I lift and do abs on tues and thurs, but want to add fri and sat to the schedule. As far as ab workout, I do about 300 different types of crunches and sit-ups per night.
Abs look pretty good but do you lift with all your muscles on those days? Bi's, tri's, shoulders, back, and legs.

Badgepack
08-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Nah, I only work on arms and chest. Legs I take care of by playing B-Ball and tennis 3 times a week. I don't want to bulk, only tone up.

justanotherpackfan
08-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Nah, I only work on arms and chest. Legs I take care of by playing B-Ball and tennis 3 times a week. I don't want to bulk, only tone up.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Don't do that, you won't get anywhere doing that. Seriously, you need to train all your muscles. Don't neglect any including legs and back. In my book b-ball and tennis don't classify as lifting, meaning hit the weights with some squats and calf raises. B-ball and tennis are your cardio.

Badgepack
08-19-2006, 12:18 AM
But I have calves like a fullback from playing hoops, plus for some reason I hate lifting w/ the legs. Anyhow, thanks for the tips, justanotherpackfan. I've been doing this by the seat of my pants, it's good to get real advice.

justanotherpackfan
08-19-2006, 12:35 AM
But I have calves like a fullback from playing hoops, plus for some reason I hate lifting w/ the legs. Anyhow, thanks for the tips, justanotherpackfan. I've been doing this by the seat of my pants, it's good to get real advice.
I know you aren't trying to add mass but squats will significantly help you in b-ball by strengthening your knees and improving your vertical. In b-ball you shoot using your shoulders, so don't you think it would be a good idea to train them? Then there is your back which is usually neglected because it takes a lot of effort to train. Train it with deads, rows and pull-ups.

justanotherpackfan
08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Tonight I did Chad Waterbury's booster shots with calves. It is brutal, I can barely walk afterward. I might do abs in a little while, I'm not sure. Anyway, here is the booster shot things.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1063194

We should just rename this thread Justanotherpackfan's workout journal.

Partial, how is your progress going?

justanotherpackfan
08-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Today I did shoulders. First I did 4 sets of seated military presses and front dumbbell raises. Then, I did 4 sets of cleans, which really get me out of breath and up-right rows which supposedly are bad for your shoulders. I finished off my workout with a strawberry-banana protein shake. I also did abs today.

the_idle_threat
08-27-2006, 05:42 AM
I just did 50 reps of the Kegel exercise, and boy am I exhausted!

justanotherpackfan
08-27-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm not familiar with that, what is it?

GrnBay007
08-27-2006, 11:03 AM

LOLOLOLOL!!

Little Whiskey
08-27-2006, 12:01 PM

you might want to google that one be for you go asking about it. note that only 007 LOL about it??!!

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 12:15 PM

I wasn't going to say anything, but you do have that body looking rather tight.

justanotherpackfan
08-27-2006, 05:37 PM

you might want to google that one be for you go asking about it. note that only 007 LOL about it??!!
Umm, I don't think I will.

Rastak
08-27-2006, 05:41 PM

You pussy........ :wink:

Rastak
08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
I was a workout warrior for two years but lately it's degenerated into 12 once curls.....I've got a nice freeweight setup at home and someday soon I'll be hitting it hard again.

the_idle_threat
08-28-2006, 02:28 AM

I wasn't going to say anything, but you do have that body looking rather tight.

Why, thanks Scott! :cool: :lol:

the_idle_threat
08-28-2006, 02:30 AM

You pussy........ :wink:

:D

Yeah, I know ... next time I'll try to do at least 100. :lol:

the_idle_threat
08-28-2006, 02:39 AM

I love Wikipedia ...

Kegel exercise

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Kegel exercise, named after Dr. Arnold Kegel, is an exercise designed to strengthen the pubococcygeus muscles. The exercises consist of the regular clenching and unclenching of these muscles, which are sometimes called the "Kegel muscles", and form part of the pelvic floor.

Contents
1 Explanation
2 Benefits for women
3 Benefits in men
4 Potential concerns
5 See also
6 External links

Explanation
The aim of Kegel exercises is to restore muscle tone and strength to the pubococcygeus muscles in order to prevent or reduce pelvic floor problems and to increase sexual gratification. Kegel exercises are said to be good for treating vaginal prolapse [1] and preventing uterine prolapse in women [2].

Kegel exercises may be beneficial in treating urinary incontinence in both men and women [3]. Kegel exercises are also known as pelvic floor exercises, or simply Kegels.

Although Dr. Arnold Kegel has contemporized and popularized this practice, it is by no means new. The Taoists of ancient China developed a number of different sexual practices to strengthen and tone these same muscles for health, longevity, sexual gratification, and spiritual development. Directly akin to the Kegel exercise is the Taoist practice of the Deer Exercise.

Benefits for women
Factors such as pregnancy, childbirth and being overweight often result in the weakening of pelvic muscles. Kegel exercises are useful in regaining pelvic floor muscle strength in such cases. Regular Kegel exercise can also increase sexual pleasure for females and their partners. After childbirth, practicing pelvic floor contractions during sexual intercourse with a male partner will allow the woman immediate feedback from her partner, who can tell her whether or not he can feel her muscles tightening around his penis. In this manner, a newly postpartum woman can retrain her pelvic floor muscles to their pre-pregnancy strength and tone.

Benefits in men
Men can also use Kegel exercises.They are used to strengthen the pubococcygeal muscle, which may allow them to achieve orgasm without ejaculation and perhaps reach multiple climaxes during sexual activity [4]. In men this exercise lifts up the testicles, also strengthening the cremaster muscle as well as the anal sphincter. While women are able to add resistance to the exercise through isometrically gripping a hard object, or by compressing an object such as foam or a penis, there are no known techniques that would add resistance to male Kegel exercises. Some believe draping a towel over the shaft and lifting it does this, but any force possibly applied to the muscle in this way would be limited to the biological inheritibility of the penis' shaft to stay erect and resist bending, in a combination of blood flow ('hardness'), genetic construction, and tissue integrity. No serious scientific studies have been done into the 'bodybuilding' and strength-building of the member through this method, although a niche market definitely exists in the realm of penis enlargement, and various urban legends abound for (with groups dedicated to the propogation of) methods of strengthening and enlarging the penis through various methods of exercise and resistance.

Potential concerns
The pubococcygeal muscles are those used to stop the flow of urine during urination, and they may be easily identified in this way. However, after the muscle has been identified, practicing Kegel exercises during urination is not recommended, as this could lead to a urinary tract infection.

See also
Kegel exerciser
How to Good-Bye Depression
Ben Wa balls
Cremaster muscle
Taoist Sexual Practices

External links
NIDDK public domain guide to pelvic muscle exercises
Kegel Exercises - article on Talk Sex with Sue Johanson
Do the Kegel - a motivational song to support women to remember to exercise
Multiple Orgasms - For Men...

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegel_exercise"

Deer exercise??? IMO, once you get animals involved, it's officially kinky ...

Partial
08-28-2006, 02:40 AM
I played tennis today for the first time since I broke my toe. Awful, awful game. Pissed me off since I still don't have the ability to push off yet, which really limited my service capabilities. It was downright unfortunate. My GF and I lost to her little sister and her boyfriend, both of whom are very capable tennis players in their own right.

justanotherpackfan
08-28-2006, 11:02 AM

I love Wikipedia ...

Kegel exercise

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Kegel exercise, named after Dr. Arnold Kegel, is an exercise designed to strengthen the pubococcygeus muscles. The exercises consist of the regular clenching and unclenching of these muscles, which are sometimes called the "Kegel muscles", and form part of the pelvic floor.

Contents
1 Explanation
2 Benefits for women
3 Benefits in men
4 Potential concerns
5 See also
6 External links

Explanation
The aim of Kegel exercises is to restore muscle tone and strength to the pubococcygeus muscles in order to prevent or reduce pelvic floor problems and to increase sexual gratification. Kegel exercises are said to be good for treating vaginal prolapse [1] and preventing uterine prolapse in women [2].

Kegel exercises may be beneficial in treating urinary incontinence in both men and women [3]. Kegel exercises are also known as pelvic floor exercises, or simply Kegels.

Although Dr. Arnold Kegel has contemporized and popularized this practice, it is by no means new. The Taoists of ancient China developed a number of different sexual practices to strengthen and tone these same muscles for health, longevity, sexual gratification, and spiritual development. Directly akin to the Kegel exercise is the Taoist practice of the Deer Exercise.

Benefits for women
Factors such as pregnancy, childbirth and being overweight often result in the weakening of pelvic muscles. Kegel exercises are useful in regaining pelvic floor muscle strength in such cases. Regular Kegel exercise can also increase sexual pleasure for females and their partners. After childbirth, practicing pelvic floor contractions during sexual intercourse with a male partner will allow the woman immediate feedback from her partner, who can tell her whether or not he can feel her muscles tightening around his penis. In this manner, a newly postpartum woman can retrain her pelvic floor muscles to their pre-pregnancy strength and tone.

Benefits in men
Men can also use Kegel exercises.They are used to strengthen the pubococcygeal muscle, which may allow them to achieve orgasm without ejaculation and perhaps reach multiple climaxes during sexual activity [4]. In men this exercise lifts up the testicles, also strengthening the cremaster muscle as well as the anal sphincter. While women are able to add resistance to the exercise through isometrically gripping a hard object, or by compressing an object such as foam or a penis, there are no known techniques that would add resistance to male Kegel exercises. Some believe draping a towel over the shaft and lifting it does this, but any force possibly applied to the muscle in this way would be limited to the biological inheritibility of the penis' shaft to stay erect and resist bending, in a combination of blood flow ('hardness'), genetic construction, and tissue integrity. No serious scientific studies have been done into the 'bodybuilding' and strength-building of the member through this method, although a niche market definitely exists in the realm of penis enlargement, and various urban legends abound for (with groups dedicated to the propogation of) methods of strengthening and enlarging the penis through various methods of exercise and resistance.

Potential concerns
The pubococcygeal muscles are those used to stop the flow of urine during urination, and they may be easily identified in this way. However, after the muscle has been identified, practicing Kegel exercises during urination is not recommended, as this could lead to a urinary tract infection.

See also
Kegel exerciser
How to Good-Bye Depression
Ben Wa balls
Cremaster muscle
Taoist Sexual Practices

External links
NIDDK public domain guide to pelvic muscle exercises
Kegel Exercises - article on Talk Sex with Sue Johanson
Do the Kegel - a motivational song to support women to remember to exercise
Multiple Orgasms - For Men...

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegel_exercise"

Deer exercise??? IMO, once you get animals involved, it's officially kinky ...
I didn't need to know so much. :mad:

the_idle_threat
08-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Knowledge is power.

justanotherpackfan
10-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Tomorrow I start Miami's football team's lifting program! :D

http://stackmag.com/Content/Site012/Articles/05_01_2006/CanesareAbleWor_00000004908.pdf

justanotherpackfan
10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Today was a brutal workout as I did day 2 of Miami's program as well as max outs.
I maxed out at 215 on Squats.
I maxed out at 205 on deadlifts.
I maxed out at 145 on bench press.
20 Presses behind neck.
I also tried to see how many times I could bench the bar and I ended up doing 78 reps.