PDA

View Full Version : Officiating

bobblehead
01-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Ok, not really bitching about officiating when we won by 27, but did anyone else notice that on EVERY kickoff the Atlanta players were blatantly blocking in the back...most of the time out in the open field, and it never got called??

On the 104 yard KO return there was an ugly one, but beyond griping about that one play, I saw a bad one on pretty much every return. Thank god we didn't have to punt!!

3irty1
01-16-2011, 07:38 AM
I know what block in the back you're talking about on the return but just as infuriating was the pair of blatant holds where packer defenders were just tackled right before that.

Fred's Slacks
01-16-2011, 07:49 AM
I forget how the new rules on kickoffs work but I thought you could only have 2 guys in your wedge. Atl clearly had 3 on the 102 yd return. Maybe I'm wrong.

Gunakor
01-16-2011, 08:15 AM
You are correct Fred. By the new rule that should be 15 yards from the spot where the wedge formed, which obviously would normally be a half the distance to goal penalty.

For the record I am completely against this rule change.

jmbarnes101
01-16-2011, 08:32 AM
I noticed those as well, along with the ticky-tack PI call on Shields. For a rookie that's been playing a lot, especially on an island that was his first penalty of the year. Absolutely incredible and there is no telling right now how good he'll end up being. That did lead to the Tramon TD dagger though so I guess its all good.

SkinBasket
01-16-2011, 09:27 AM
I had a bigger problem with the ATL WRs liberal use of the hands and shoving our DBs on just about every play.

MadtownPacker
01-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I had a bigger problem with the ATL WRs liberal use of the hands and shoving our DBs on just about every play.
It didnt seem to help them much.

Tarlam!
01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
The Pack have been zebra-f*cked all this season and most of last. I know M3 was pretty vocal about officiating when he first became HC and after Bert left, I felt the officiating got worse. Now that Rodgers has had his big day, maybe they'll get some respect.

mission
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
LOL after Tramon's pick 6 I was walking from my seats to find a beer (or two) and was doing the little hand cup to the ear thing (what a dick i know!) and this lady started yelling at me "ONLY REASON YOU'RE WINNING IS THE REFS!!!!! x4"

Granted we got that nice call on 3rd down but didn't the Falcons (on that same drive) get two pass interference calls? One of which I thought was pretty marginal.

I think the calls went both ways last night but Falcons fans have no one to blame but the players/coaches.

Guiness
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
The wedge on the KO return was especially bad, and I was surprised it wasn't called. It didn't end up mattering with how much we scored, but at the time it happened it was HUGE.

swede
01-16-2011, 06:46 PM
I thought Mason Crosby had the final block on the last Packer defender with a shot.

I'm already dreading ahead that we'd get Jeff Triplett's crew for the Bears game.

pbmax
01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
I thought Mason Crosby had the final block on the last Packer defender with a shot.

I'm already dreading ahead that we'd get Jeff Triplett's crew for the Bears game.

That would be like getting Scott Green's crew for Arizona (I think) and their propensity for calling DPI.

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I didn't think the crew was that bad. The stuff they called was fairly legit. One can nitpick about holdings on every play.

digitaldean
01-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah, that Matty "Vanilla" Ice pick 6 before halftime was influenced by the zebras.

Fritz
01-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Jeff Triplett...or worse, Ed Hoculi.

Guiness
01-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Offensive PI has to be the most undercalled penalty.

JJ got away with one. Can't remember when, but it was a 3rd down, deep in their own end. Jones got to the top of his route, and as he was pulling up to turn around, gave the db a good two handed shove. Bingo - separation!

I thought TWill got jobbed on the call just before his INT though. Sure, he ran into the guy, but I thought it should've been interference, not PI. Was the ball in the air? I'd like to see a replay of that one.

Lurker64
01-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Does anybody else get the sense that across the board, officiating was pretty bad this year?

mraynrand
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
The officiating was fine. On the TD return there was absolutely no penalties that I could detect on repeated looks. Two pairs of Packer players took each other out of plays on Weems, the worst being Crosby setting a pick to keep Collins from tackling him.

get louder at lambeau
01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
The main thing that bugged me about the officiating was early in the game when the refs threw a flag, then after discussion said "There is no foul for defensive pass interference, because the ball was uncatchable."

The WR was heading upfield, and Ryan threw it behind him. Woodson had a shot at a pick 6, but the WR grabbed the shit out of him so he couldn't get there. And they were considering calling a penalty on Woodson when he got grabbed. Joe Buck and Aikman didn't even seem to know what was going on either.

Bossman641
01-16-2011, 11:52 PM
The main thing that bugged me about the officiating was early in the game when the refs threw a flag, then after discussion said "There is no foul for defensive pass interference, because the ball was uncatchable."

The WR was heading upfield, and Ryan threw it behind him. Woodson had a shot at a pick 6, but the WR grabbed the shit out of him so he couldn't get there. And they were considering calling a penalty on Woodson when he got grabbed. Joe Buck and Aikman didn't even seem to know what was going on either.

A common occurrence for them.

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Never complain about the officiating after a win. Save them for games where we get completely jobbed (like the Rice fumble). Otherwise, you look like Vikes fan.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Never complain about the officiating after a win. Save them for games where we get completely jobbed (like the Rice fumble). Otherwise, you look like Vikes fan.

Ouch! Point taken. I normally don't complain about calls but I was furious about PI calls on Shields (especially) and followed by iffy call on Tramon. But Karma took over on a play where Packers D was actually caught off guard but Tramon Williams wasn't - at all - hence justice in the pick six. Pretty much calmed me then and there [during game].

MadtownPacker
01-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Like Harvey said, dont be a little fucking crybaby about the refs when you stomped the other team.

pittstang5
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Initially on the Shields PI call, I said, no way..what the hell, that's not Pass interfence. Then on the replay, I saw he never turned his head around to watch the ball, which always equals PI. Even though I hate the call, it was a good call by the refs.

get louder at lambeau
01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Initially on the Shields PI call, I said, no way..what the hell, that's not Pass interfence. Then on the replay, I saw he never turned his head around to watch the ball, which always equals PI. Even though I hate the call, it was a good call by the refs.

Yeah, I thought that was a fair call too. Not horrible by Shields, and it could have gone uncalled, but it was a fair call.

Smeefers
01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
The only problem I had with the officiating was the fact that FOX seemed to be ignoring the penalties. Once, Buck and Aik were talking and completely ignored what was being called on the field, talking over the ref. Another time there was a flag thrown and we didn't know about it until the Ref anounced what was going on. There was a general lack of replays on penalties and it was just frustrating. Just because I have a DVR, it doesn't mean I shouldn't be treated to a replay after every play. When I'm watching the game live, I'm watching the skill positions. On a replay, I get a chance to check out how the line is doing, who's getting pushed around and what not. FOX just seems to be ignoring the play in lieu of whatever talking points they have to hit.

Is that just me? I remember games back in the day (90's) where at the very least they'd show a replay while they were hitting their points. Today they only replay the big plays and never replay something that might have been questionable.

AtlPackFan
01-17-2011, 12:18 PM
LOL after Tramon's pick 6 I was walking from my seats to find a beer (or two) and was doing the little hand cup to the ear thing (what a dick i know!) and this lady started yelling at me "ONLY REASON YOU'RE WINNING IS THE REFS!!!!! x4"

Granted we got that nice call on 3rd down but didn't the Falcons (on that same drive) get two pass interference calls? One of which I thought was pretty marginal.

I think the calls went both ways last night but Falcons fans have no one to blame but the players/coaches.

I had Falcon fans at work this morning bitching about the officiating. I thought there were some missed and some ticky-tack calls but I thought they went both ways.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Shields doesn't need to turn his head on this play 'cos the timing was perfect by Shields and he has equal rights to the ball plus he did nothing to hinder Falcon WR (forgot which) getting to the ball. The "Aikman" rule then falters.

Guiness
01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Shields doesn't need to turn his head on this play 'cos the timing was perfect by Shields and he has equal rights to the ball plus he did nothing to hinder Falcon WR (forgot which) getting to the ball. The "Aikman" rule then falters.

Can anyone tell me just what the rule for PI is these days? Seems to me it's changed over the past couple of years. It used to be if the db didn't look back for the ball, and made contact with it, he would be called, but you're not the first I've seen say this is no longer the case.

I'd have to watch again. Didn't seem to me like he made a lot of contact with the receiver. What was the reason for the call?

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Can anyone tell me just what the rule for PI is these days? Seems to me it's changed over the past couple of years. It used to be if the db didn't look back for the ball, and made contact with it, he would be called, but you're not the first I've seen say this is no longer the case.

I'd have to watch again. Didn't seem to me like he made a lot of contact with the receiver. What was the reason for the call?

Their arms slightly tangled when both went for the ball simultaneously - I think it's a harsh, harsh call when in fact it was perfectly timed by Shields.

Guiness
01-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Their arms slightly tangled when both went for the ball simultaneously - I think it's a harsh, harsh call when in fact it was perfectly timed by Shields.

Ok, that's what I remember.

I guess the 'he didn't turn his head' argument is that he couldn't have been going for the ball if he wasn't looking for it - he was only looking to prevent the receiver from catching it.

LEWCWA
01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Ok, that's what I remember.

I guess the 'he didn't turn his head' argument is that he couldn't have been going for the ball if he wasn't looking for it - he was only looking to prevent the receiver from catching it.

I have a diffferent take on this. I saw shields turn his head, find the ball, turn back to the rec. and go up for the ball. This should be a play the comp. committee looks at to determine what is and isn't PI. Thing with Shields is he turned his head to find the ball, but not his body! Most corners have to turn there whole body when looking for the ball. Just my opinion.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Pass Interference

1. There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer�s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.

2. The penalty for defensive pass interference is an automatic first down at the spot of the foul. If interference is in the end zone, it is first down for the offense on the defense�s 1-yard line. If previous spot was inside the defense�s 1-yard line, penalty is half the distance to the goal line.

3. The penalty for offensive pass interference is 10 yards from the previous spot.

4. It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player�s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver�s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver�s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver�s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender�s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver�s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.

Note 5: Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive pass interference is not to be called for action on the end man on the line of scrimmage, or an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the line. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called and result in a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass interference rules still apply.

denverYooper
01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I had Falcon fans at work this morning bitching about the officiating. I thought there were some missed and some ticky-tack calls but I thought they went both ways.

It's pretty hard to pin a four score loss on officiating.

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Shields hit Jenkin's arms working through him to get to the ball. It was weak PI, but technically it was a correct call. Truth is though that refs will just let you get a way with more contact if you are turned and looking back to the ball. The reason is that you have an equal right to go for the ball, and having your head and body turned makes it easier for the refs to allow minor contact. It's just one of those things the refs are trained to look for. When they see the defender with head turned, their focus completely changes - both defender and receiver are now equal.

Guiness
01-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I have a diffferent take on this. I saw shields turn his head, find the ball, turn back to the rec. and go up for the ball. This should be a play the comp. committee looks at to determine what is and isn't PI. Thing with Shields is he turned his head to find the ball, but not his body! Most corners have to turn there whole body when looking for the ball. Just my opinion.

So, you're saying Shields could be an extra on the next remake of The Exorcist? Would Drew Barrymore appear in this production?

thanks for digging up the rule mmmdk

AtlPackFan
01-17-2011, 02:38 PM
It's pretty hard to pin a four score loss on officiating.

They were trying. I just smiled.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Shields hit Jenkin's arms working through him to get to the ball. It was weak PI, but technically it was a correct call. Truth is though that refs will just let you get a way with more contact if you are turned and looking back to the ball. The reason is that you have an equal right to go for the ball, and having your head and body turned makes it easier for the refs to allow minor contact. It's just one of those things the refs are trained to look for. When they see the defender with head turned, their focus completely changes - both defender and receiver are now equal.

I like this view too! :tup:

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
So, you're saying Shields could be an extra on the next remake of The Exorcist? Would Drew Barrymore appear in this production?

Trying to repent myself after having said: " Packers can't win big one with McCarthy as HC". :lol:

Pugger
01-17-2011, 03:20 PM
The only problem I had with the officiating was the fact that FOX seemed to be ignoring the penalties. Once, Buck and Aik were talking and completely ignored what was being called on the field, talking over the ref. Another time there was a flag thrown and we didn't know about it until the Ref anounced what was going on. There was a general lack of replays on penalties and it was just frustrating. Just because I have a DVR, it doesn't mean I shouldn't be treated to a replay after every play. When I'm watching the game live, I'm watching the skill positions. On a replay, I get a chance to check out how the line is doing, who's getting pushed around and what not. FOX just seems to be ignoring the play in lieu of whatever talking points they have to hit.

Is that just me? I remember games back in the day (90's) where at the very least they'd show a replay while they were hitting their points. Today they only replay the big plays and never replay something that might have been questionable.

I didn't care for Buck and Aikman talking over the ref either. I hope the guys officiating the bare game yesterday aren't there again this Sunday. Chicago's DBs were clutching and grabbing Seattle's WRs all afternoon.

swede
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Trying to repent myself after having said: " Packers can't win big one with McCarthy as HC". :lol:

I think MM, though stung, by the things you wrote, used the criticism to better himself, and he decided that--goshdarnit--mmmdk is right; the considerable offensive weapons he has at his disposal needed to be used in a more aggressive manner.

You've had a positive effect on this team. Love hurts.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I think MM, though stung, by the things you wrote, used the criticism to better himself, and he decided that--goshdarnit--mmmdk is right; the considerable offensive weapons he has at his disposal needed to be used in a more aggressive manner.

You've had a positive effect on this team. Love hurts.

Yes...YES!!! :shock: That's it...you're so Stubbin' smart! :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I didn't care for Buck and Aikman talking over the ref either. I hope the guys officiating the bare game yesterday aren't there again this Sunday. Chicago's DBs were clutching and grabbing Seattle's WRs all afternoon.

That is one thing I'm worried about. They were very (overly) physical. If it's called both ways, but I fear a game where the Bears DBs mug our WRs, but we get called for ticky tack PIs.

Freak Out
01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
How does the NFL decide what crews get brought in for the game?

LEWCWA
01-17-2011, 06:34 PM

I don't know about you but I have enough range of motiong in my neck to look back without turning my whole body. That is what I was saying it looked to me like Shields did on that play. From what I have seen out of other corners, they usually fully turn to play the ball. Looked like good Def. to me........

pbmax
01-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes...YES!!! :shock: That's it...you're so Stubbin' smart! :lol:

Or could be that the Falcons Pass D was vulnerable and that the Eagles Run D was vulnerable?

But we can't eliminate the possibility that M3 went through some kind of therapy either.

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
How does the NFL decide what crews get brought in for the game?

They (head of the officials) rank the crews over the course of the season and then assign the best crews to the playoffs. The best two crews should be reffing the Sunday games.

Guiness
01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't know about you but I have enough range of motiong in my neck to look back without turning my whole body. That is what I was saying it looked to me like Shields did on that play. From what I have seen out of other corners, they usually fully turn to play the ball. Looked like good Def. to me........

Didn't mean for that to come off as a shot, if it did - I knew what you meant, the Exorcist was just the image that came to mind...and bonus points for being able to mention Barrymore - are you listening Fritz?

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 04:52 AM
You know, the week had been going so well for me this week. The biggest game in the history of everything is on the horizon. One of the most sensational stories in NFL history is nearly complete. Eternal bragging rights over our closest and most hated rival for the past century is nearly within our grasp. Images of Ted Thompson standing on the 50 yard line at Soldier Field hoisting the George Halas trophy have been dancing around in my mind since Sunday afternoon. Never in my life have I ever been prouder to be a fan of this sport and this team.

Then comes a sour dose of bad juju as I discover who the man in the white hat will be come Sunday at 2pm. I couldn't believe it when I read in the comments section of a JSO article. It's on packerchatters too, as well as some Steelers forums.

The referee of the 2011 NFC Championship Game will be none other than Terry McAulay. A name burned into memory as the guy who jobbed the Packers for 18 penalties while seemingly letting the Bears do whatever the hell they wanted back in week 3 at Soldier Field. Guess Lovie needed some extra help this weekend. He must have friends in high places...

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 07:44 AM
You know, the week had been going so well for me this week. The biggest game in the history of everything is on the horizon. One of the most sensational stories in NFL history is nearly complete. Eternal bragging rights over our closest and most hated rival for the past century is nearly within our grasp. Images of Ted Thompson standing on the 50 yard line at Soldier Field hoisting the George Halas trophy have been dancing around in my mind since Sunday afternoon. Never in my life have I ever been prouder to be a fan of this sport and this team.

Then comes a sour dose of bad juju as I discover who the man in the white hat will be come Sunday at 2pm. I couldn't believe it when I read in the comments section of a JSO article. It's on packerchatters too, as well as some Steelers forums.

The referee of the 2011 NFC Championship Game will be none other than Terry McAulay. A name burned into memory as the guy who jobbed the Packers for 18 penalties while seemingly letting the Bears do whatever the hell they wanted back in week 3 at Soldier Field. Guess Lovie needed some extra help this weekend. He must have friends in high places...

15 yard excessive rational commentary penalty on Gunakor. Half the distance to the goal, it remains fourth down.

http://explorehoward.com/blogs/devils-made-me-do-it/files/2009/01/mcaulay-3.jpg

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 07:52 AM
I would have preferred Walt Coleman or that Carey guy, because they just seem to get calls right. Otherwise, I'd like Ron Winter, because although his crew screws everything up, they almost always screw up in Green Bay's favor.

swede
01-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Forget "Click for Cans".

Packer nation needs to overrun Roger Goodell's switchboard and e-mail servers!

Utterly ridiculous. I need Clark Grizzwold in here to modify his Christmas Bonus rant against his boss and dress down Goodell.

swede
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me. I have one……..I’d like Roger Goodell, my commissioner, right here tonight.

I want him brought from his happy post-season slumber over there at NFL headquarters with all the other heads of officiating and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a……..

cheap
lying
no-good
rotten
four-flushing
low-life
snake-licking
dirt-eating
inbred
overstuffed
ignorant
blood-sucking
dog-kissing
brainless
dickless
hopeless
heartless
fat-ass
bug-eyed
stiff-legged
spotty-lipped
worm-headed
sack of monkey shit HE IS for assigning Terry McAulay's crew to the NFC Championship game.

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Holy Shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Smeefers
01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
You want an email, here's an email. Oh, I'm just copy and pasting your Grizzwold quote. This needs to get spread around the blogosphere.

Roger.Goodell2@nfl.net

Smeefers
01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
I hope you don't mind me posting your quote up there Swede over at the Acme Packing Company (Yahoo's SB Nation blog). The word needs to spread and I think you put it best.

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 08:28 AM
15 yard excessive rational commentary penalty on Gunakor. Half the distance to the goal, it remains fourth down.

http://explorehoward.com/blogs/devils-made-me-do-it/files/2009/01/mcaulay-3.jpg

That's ridiculous! YOU'RE MISSING A REALLY GOOD GAME MCAULAY!

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/93283502.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D02E4846B7C9726C78 DF7C40533A5F452A2892E048AE3E5BDAE30A760B0D811297

Smeefers
01-19-2011, 08:58 AM
So I've had quite a hard time collaborating this. Where can you find who's refing a game? I've checked all over the interwub and it's beign suprisingly stubborn. Before I go all out pissed off, I'd like to know I'm right.

Little Whiskey
01-19-2011, 10:29 AM
So I've had quite a hard time collaborating this. Where can you find who's refing a game? I've checked all over the interwub and it's beign suprisingly stubborn. Before I go all out pissed off, I'd like to know I'm right.

if its on packerrats then you know its gospel truth! go ahead and site swede as your source. he's reliable.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Please tell me this is a joke.

Freak Out
01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
That's the best crew? The best at what I ask? The fix is in....

Smeefers
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
The closest I've come is a Mike Florio (booooooo) post from 2009. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/01/17/mcaulay-secures-super-bowl-assignment/

Obvious not this year.

OS PA
01-19-2011, 11:02 AM
You want an email, here's an email. Oh, I'm just copy and pasting your Grizzwold quote. This needs to get spread around the blogosphere.

Roger.Goodell2@nfl.net

The e-mail doesn't work. I found this e-mail though, your.comments@nfl.com.
It's much less direct, but somebody will read the comments.

I had this to say.

Mr. Goodell,

I would like to inform you of the worry that is circulating around Packer nation today after the announcement of McCauley as the referee for Sunday's Championship. The same Terry McAuley that was the referee in week three when the Packers were flagged for eighteen penalties in a game that was lost by only a matter of yards. I am not disputing the eighteen penalties as I'm sure they were correct calls, but for one team to be penalized eighteen times and for the opposing team only five appears to show some bias. I realize that Mr. McAuley and his crew were graded to be one of the best two crews in the regular season, however I see a lapse in judgment placing this crew with this game. Mr. McAuley's calls will be held under a microscope, based on the eighteen penalties, and if there are any calls that help decide the game for the Bears there will be public outcry. Seeing how much money people are spending on this game and how much coverage the game is getting nationally in the media, I just hope for all of our sakes that none of the calls appear biased or unfair. The old adage, "let the players play," comes to mind, and it will be a shame if this game is decided by the referees calling it rather than the players and the coaches. I am just wondering why the decision was made to place McAuley's crew in this game rather than in the AFC Championship?

Thank you for your time,

Mischa Fleishman

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.football-refs.com/nfl-referees-by-season/2010-crews/playoffssuper-bowl/

Hochuli gets the AFC, McAulay gets the NFC

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Oh, wait. One catch. It's a mixed crew. Here's the list. In parentheses is whose crew that judge served on during the season.

Packers @ Bears:

Referee- Terry McAulay
Umpire- Carl Paganelli (Boger)
HL- George Hayward (Morelli)
LJ- Mark Perlman (Leavy)
SJ- Greg Meyer (Blakeman)
BJ- Tony Steratore (Boger)
FJ- Steve Zimmer (Riveron)
ALT Referee- Scott Green
ALT HL- Wayne Mackie (Triplette)

Jets @ Steelers:

Referee- Ed Hochuli
Umpire- Garth DeFelice (Blakeman)
HL- Mark Hittner (Hochuli)
LJ- Tom Symonette (Hochuli)
SJ- Laird Hayes (Carey)
BJ- Dino Paganelli (Steratore)
FJ- Bob Waggoner (Steratore)
ALT Referee- Ron Winter
ALT FJ- Boris Cheek (Cheffers)

So... Maybe better luck?

swede
01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Let's hope that the phrase "Regression to the Mean" comes into play in terms of penalties called against the two teams.

Guiness
01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
They mix the crews for the playoffs? Don't know if I like that idea. You'd think that might cause problems, reffing a football game is a complicated affair, and different crews would have different tendencies.

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I know, hey? They grade you on your regular season performance with a single crew, then take the best ones and blow them up so they can officiate the most important games of the season with brand new faces. Unbelievable.

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I know, hey? They grade you on your regular season performance with a single crew, then take the best ones and blow them up so they can officiate the most important games of the season with brand new faces. Unbelievable.

When did they start doing this? I always thought reffing teams were selected. You know what happens when they put these all-star teams together - nobody plays defense!

denverYooper
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
http://blog.prorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/leslie-nielsen-umpire.jpg

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
http://blog.prorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/leslie-nielsen-umpire.jpg

Hey! It's Enrico Pallazzo!

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1129/pg2_enricots_300.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I like having the best of the best. It's not that hard to integrate a crew. I feel better now. Tell me you don't feel better that it's an integrated crew and not just McAuley's crew. :)

Fritz
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
McAuley...oh god. And Hocculi? That's the best they got?

mission
01-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I like having the best of the best. It's not that hard to integrate a crew. I feel better now. Tell me you don't feel better that it's an integrated crew and not just McAuley's crew. :)

I do feel much better knowing that.

The "new faces" thing doesn't matter. These guys essentially operate in a vacuum and then confer with each other for more difficult decisions. Continuity probably would play against us in this scenario (if one of the "teams" had something particular against the Packers).

bobblehead
01-19-2011, 03:50 PM

I disagree for 2 reasons. first, shields actually turned one way, then reversed, adjusting to the ball. That shows he knew full well where it was whether or not we thought he turned to watch it. second, shields actually went up and tipped the ball away from the reciever, which proves he was playing the ball....or the luckiest SOB ever. Both of them were fighting for the ball, shields is the first one to actually hit the ball. No call, and calling a 40? yard penalty right there could be a game changer.

bobblehead
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Personally I think it should be reviewable. I know its a subjective call, but any penalty that can be up to a 98 yard penalty should have a shot at review. PI is a game changer. holding is a drive killer which is bad enough for a subjective penalty, but PI is a GAME changer.

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
I disagree for 2 reasons. first, shields actually turned one way, then reversed, adjusting to the ball. That shows he knew full well where it was whether or not we thought he turned to watch it. second, shields actually went up and tipped the ball away from the reciever, which proves he was playing the ball....or the luckiest SOB ever. Both of them were fighting for the ball, shields is the first one to actually hit the ball. No call, and calling a 40? yard penalty right there could be a game changer.

Shields made contact before the ball arrived. He hit Jenkins' arms as he raised his hands and arms to defense the ball. He was not looking back. This is an easy one for the refs, because they can tell he isn't playing the ball. If he's turned, looking for the ball, they'll let him get away with a lot, but if his head is turned to the receiver, they will throw a flag on virtually any contact. That's how they are instructed to call it.

MichiganPackerFan
01-20-2011, 10:47 AM

I know it is a mixed crew, but how is this even remotely competitively fair? If it wasn't for this fucker throwing the game in week 3, the bears wouldn't even BE in the playoffs, and now he has a chance to put them in the SB? We'd better blow them out early before this piece of shit can throw it again.

Smidgeon
01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I know it is a mixed crew, but how is this even remotely competitively fair? If it wasn't for this fucker throwing the game in week 3, the bears wouldn't even BE in the playoffs, and now he has a chance to put them in the SB? We'd better blow them out early before this piece of shit can throw it again.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? ;)

Smidgeon
01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
That is one thing I'm worried about. They were very (overly) physical. If it's called both ways, but I fear a game where the Bears DBs mug our WRs, but we get called for ticky tack PIs.

Knowing the crew that will be officiating, that seems likely.

bobblehead
01-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Shields made contact before the ball arrived. He hit Jenkins' arms as he raised his hands and arms to defense the ball. He was not looking back. This is an easy one for the refs, because they can tell he isn't playing the ball. If he's turned, looking for the ball, they'll let him get away with a lot, but if his head is turned to the receiver, they will throw a flag on virtually any contact. That's how they are instructed to call it.

Ok, how about the Kuhn TD. He runs to the pylon where Lofton straight out spears him helmet to helmet. No flag. Kuhn has to stay on a knee for a bit. He is attended on the sideline. Announcers say nothing about the blatant spear. NO flag. To my knowledge no fine. I still think shields displayed that he was playing the ball when he turned back to find it. Just because he looked away to play it better doesn't make it interference, but I can see why they called it being that he wasn't looking back AS he put his hand up. As for the contact, that was the very definition of 2 guys jockeying for position and the ball. On Jones TD the DB hit his arms more and harder with no flag (not that I think their should have been one).

mraynrand
01-20-2011, 11:40 AM
As for the contact, that was the very definition of 2 guys jockeying for position and the ball. On Jones TD the DB hit his arms more and harder with no flag (not that I think their should have been one).

For the first - it was contact - Shields hit his arms before the ball got there. That is technically interference, not jockeying for the ball. Now, if his head had been turned, like the Jones defender, the refs would have very likely let it go, because Shields has the right to make a play on the ball. Since he wasn't looking for the ball, he is 'playing the man' not the ball - it is interference. The refs are trained (and d backs are trained) to know this critical difference.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Do the rules actually state that you have to turn your head? Or is this something many announcers continue to screw up?

I could see Shields getting called for PI, but it was iffy. The second replay seemed to show Shields interfering because it didn't go back far enough to show Jenkins doing the same hand jockeying. If you watch the first replay, it looks like two guys jockeying for the ball. Quite honestly, they could have called it either way on that play, and I would have been okay with it.

mraynrand
01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Ok, how about the Kuhn TD. He runs to the pylon where Lofton straight out spears him helmet to helmet. No flag. Kuhn has to stay on a knee for a bit. He is attended on the sideline. Announcers say nothing about the blatant spear. NO flag. To my knowledge no fine.

"15 yards:

A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.
Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily."

" using any part of a players helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/hairline parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily; although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protect those players who are in virtually defenseless postures."

From October:

"1. Players are expected to play within the rules. Those who do not will face increased discipline, including suspensions, starting with the first offense.

2. Coaches are expected to teach playing within the rules. Failure to do so will subject both the coach and the employing club to discipline.

3. Game officials have been directed to emphasize protecting players from illegal and dangerous hits, and particularly from hits to the head and neck. In appropriate cases, they have the authority to eject players from a game.
ROGER GOODELL"

Bottom line: First, the play happened so fast in real time, I'm not sure what the ref saw or thought he saw. The hit on Kuhn could have been called, but there is some wiggle room with the 'using' and 'unnecessarily' terms. Did the defender happen to make helmet to helmet contact in the act of making a tackle or did he 'use' his helmet to make contact with the defender. Did he 'unnecessarily' make contact with the crown of the helmet (Unnecessary I think means that he could have avoided it but led intentionally). Given that the defender launched his body and stretched out to knock Kuhn out of bounds, given that he was late, given it looked like a desperation dive, I'm guessing the officials judged there was no intent and no specific 'use' of the helmet. That's a guess. I think they could have, and probably should have ruled the other way. But it's a judgment call. I haven't seen anywhere where the head of officiating was asked about it. Or Mike Pereira:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Mike-Pereira-officiating-rulings-analysis-divisional-round-games-011511

mraynrand
01-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Do the rules actually state that you have to turn your head? Or is this something many announcers continue to screw up?

I could see Shields getting called for PI, but it was iffy. The second replay seemed to show Shields interfering because it didn't go back far enough to show Jenkins doing the same hand jockeying. If you watch the first replay, it looks like two guys jockeying for the ball. Quite honestly, they could have called it either way on that play, and I would have been okay with it.

"Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch. "

Both criteria apply in the case of Shields. And yes, it was iffy, ticky tacky, but still technically correct.

edit: also,

"Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference"

I think the refs would have ruled the contact incidental had shields been playing the ball. How do they tell he's playing the ball? His head is turned and looking back to the ball.

Guiness
01-20-2011, 12:54 PM
"Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch. "

Both criteria apply in the case of Shields. And yes, it was iffy, ticky tacky, but still technically correct.

edit: also,

"Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference"

I think the refs would have ruled the contact incidental had shields been playing the ball. How do they tell he's playing the ball? His head is turned and looking back to the ball.

+1

He has to 'show' he's playing the ball, and looking back for it is the way to do that.

caveat: I don't have a copy of the game tape, so can't re-watch and see what happened.

I know everyone else says 'how could he know when to jump for the ball'. There are various techniques - one that I was taught was to use a 'feeler'. When running down the field with a WR, keep a hand on their thigh, when you feel them jump, jump as well. Works quite well, and definitely not playing the ball.

Smidgeon
01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I guess my question would be: can you not play the ball without looking at the ball? I ask because one of Jenning's best traits is that he doesn't put his hands up until the last second to catch the ball. It removes the visual cues to the defender. Which means that some defenders can play the ball without looking at the ball because they're watching the receiver. So they can make a play on the ball without touching the receiver or looking at the ball.

Or would that be considered "not playing the ball"?

Smidgeon
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
+1

He has to 'show' he's playing the ball, and looking back for it is the way to do that.

caveat: I don't have a copy of the game tape, so can't re-watch and see what happened.

I know everyone else says 'how could he know when to jump for the ball'. There are various techniques - one that I was taught was to use a 'feeler'. When running down the field with a WR, keep a hand on their thigh, when you feel them jump, jump as well. Works quite well, and definitely not playing the ball.

I guess that answers my question...

Guiness
01-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Ok, how about the Kuhn TD. He runs to the pylon where Lofton straight out spears him helmet to helmet.

Is it because he's a runner/ball carrier? I know when Quarless got hit (against Philly) the announcers commented on it, but looked at it again, and said because he had control and taken a step, he was a ball carrier and the rule didn't apply. However, looking at the rule mraynrand posted, I see no mention of that as an excuse.

Smidgeon
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Is it because he's a runner/ball carrier? I know when Quarless got hit (against Philly) the announcers commented on it, but looked at it again, and said because he had control and taken a step, he was a ball carrier and the rule didn't apply. However, looking at the rule mraynrand posted, I see no mention of that as an excuse.

I agree. I think they're putting an extra step in the rules like the "making a second move while catching the ball".

sharpe1027
01-20-2011, 02:13 PM

I think the Quarless situation was the "defenseless receiver" rule, which doesn't require helmet contact to apply. Thus, the question was when he stopped being a defenseless receiver and became a ball carrier. It would still be problematic if the defender unnecessarily lead with the helmet.

sharpe1027
01-20-2011, 02:18 PM
I guess my question would be: can you not play the ball without looking at the ball? I ask because one of Jenning's best traits is that he doesn't put his hands up until the last second to catch the ball. It removes the visual cues to the defender. Which means that some defenders can play the ball without looking at the ball because they're watching the receiver. So they can make a play on the ball without touching the receiver or looking at the ball.

Or would that be considered "not playing the ball"?

You can make an argument that it is possible to make a play on the ball without looking at it. Realistically, the enforcement of the rule always seems to center around whether the defender is looking for the ball. They are consistent about that, if nothing else.

pbmax
01-20-2011, 05:08 PM
A player rarely (and I have never seen) gets a spearing flag for hitting with the helmet on a ball carrier who is upright and still in play while attempting to make a legit tackle. Rand's rule quote would seem to cover this situation and call for a flag, but I don't remember it. If he launched himself with both feet off the ground, then its a different 15 yard penalty. If Kuhn had just caught a pass, different story.

The extra emphasis this year has been on the defenseless players (receivers in the act of making a catch and QBs throwing) which is why Chris Kluwe wrote that whiteboard message to Goodell (and TwitPic'd it) after the instructional video came out. Kluwe took Goodell to task for protecting only the glamor boys.

And Rand had a good breakdown of the DB turning around to find the pass debate. While face guarding is not a penalty, you obviously get a wider latitude from the refs if you seem to make a play on the ball.

Guiness
01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
A player rarely (and I have never seen) gets a spearing flag for hitting with the helmet on a ball carrier who is upright and still in play while attempting to make a legit tackle. Rand's rule quote would seem to cover this situation and call for a flag, but I don't remember it. If he launched himself with both feet off the ground, then its a different 15 yard penalty. If Kuhn had just caught a pass, different story.

The extra emphasis this year has been on the defenseless players (receivers in the act of making a catch and QBs throwing) which is why Chris Kluwe wrote that whiteboard message to Goodell (and TwitPic'd it) after the instructional video came out. Kluwe took Goodell to task for protecting only the glamor boys.

And Rand had a good breakdown of the DB turning around to find the pass debate. While face guarding is not a penalty, you obviously get a wider latitude from the refs if you seem to make a play on the ball.

Just went and looked at that - pretty funny.

But...who the heck is Chris Kluwe?

mraynrand
01-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Just went and looked at that - pretty funny.

But...who the heck is Chris Kluwe?

Viking Punter. He shouldn't get any protection. Just beat the hell out of him.

Guiness
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Viking Punter. He shouldn't get any protection. Just beat the hell out of him.

Ah, that's what all the video game references were about. He's the guy who was a guitar hero master.

bobblehead
01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
For the first - it was contact - Shields hit his arms before the ball got there. That is technically interference, not jockeying for the ball. Now, if his head had been turned, like the Jones defender, the refs would have very likely let it go, because Shields has the right to make a play on the ball. Since he wasn't looking for the ball, he is 'playing the man' not the ball - it is interference. The refs are trained (and d backs are trained) to know this critical difference.

I see your point, and in real time I can see why it was ruled that way. As he deflected the ball he wasn't looking back, but I maintain he had located it previously and was definately playing it. I guess my problem is that JJ was interfered with far more in the endzone with no call, but again, in realtime you are right, the officials use the head direction as the golden rule (most of the time).

I have a huge bias against PI as it is. A penatly that is subjective that can flip the field position or impact a game so dramatically bothers me.

As for the spear, it was blatant and ugly. The first contact was the helmets, then the bodies. He lowered his head. he lead with it. Kuhn was visibly shaken. It was a flagrant foul. I saw others in the game. On the Jennings fumble Jordy ran up to tackle the defender with the ball and an offensive guy blasted him in the back in the open field. On almost every return they blocked in the back (not the TD that I saw). I guess I can't complain because they let both sides play for the most part. Early I felt they were leaning towards Atlanta, but as we imposed our will on them, the officials felt that and started calling it evenly.

mraynrand
01-22-2011, 12:16 PM
As he deflected the ball he wasn't looking back, but I maintain he had located it previously and was definately playing it.

I have no idea how you can think a d back is playing the ball when he isn't looking for it and can't see it.