PDA

View Full Version : It's Bears Week...Like No Other

Joemailman
01-16-2011, 04:24 PM
In my opinion, the Packers biggest rivalry in recent years had been with the Vikings, not the Bears. That's all about to change. Big Time. This will be the Packer/Bear game that in the future we either won't want to talk about, or won't be able to stop talking about.

These teams are led by what I think are underrated coaches. It will be interesting to see how MM tries to attack the Bear defense. Does he try to continue to go with the short to medium range passes, which has worked so well lately? I think he has to try to use this stuff, plus play action to set up some longer shots. It's just not easy to put together long TD drives against the Bears.

The Bears will definitely want to run the ball, and force the Packers out of the nickel, where Woodson is so dangerous. Stop Forte and you stop the Bears offense.

Fritz
01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
My biggest fear is the Packers' offensive line versus the Bears defensive line. I think the offensive line is the weakest link on this team outside of special teams, and in both games the o-line did next to nothing trying to open holes for the running game and trying to protect Rogers.

Damn. I hope MM can figure out how to overcome or work around this huge mismatch.

Scott Campbell
01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
It's the Game of the Century. I think it's time to unleash our secret weapon.

Fritz
01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
It's the Game of the Century. I think it's time to unleash our secret weapon.

What, Howard Green farts in the Chicago huddle?

Scott Campbell
01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
What, Howard Green farts in the Chicago huddle?

No. Our secret weapon is................................................ .................................

Jay Cutler.

ND72
01-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Espn is going to LOVE this week. Buddy of mine who is a bear fan, and said his biggest fear is allowing green bay to get to the super bowl because of his own team....and I agree, I will HATE the super bowl if Chicago is there knowing it's because we lost. Big week. McCarthy & co. Have work to do!

esoxx
01-16-2011, 05:35 PM
To me, this is the biggest game in franchise history b/c it's a game against their all-time rival for all the marbles. Ultimate bragging rights are on the line forever.

Lose this game, and you're the Bears fan bitch. Win and glory is ours.

Everyone do yourself a favor and read this book during the week. Consider it a homework assignment. Your blood will be boiling by next Sunday.

http://www.amazon.com/Mudbaths-Bloodbaths-Inside-Bears-Packers-Rivalry/dp/1879483440

Joemailman
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Our secret weapon is Bretsky picking the Packers to lose. He won't let us down.

red
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
its the bears and that scares me a bit.

but IMO they will be our weakest opponent in the playoffs

when we've lost this years its been because we've lost, we've made mistakes. we're not playing like that right now

our offense is way better then theirs, our defense believe it or not is better then theirs. our offense is slightly better then their defense and our defense is a lot better then their offense

their special teams is much better then ours

they have home field and the crowd, but it should be conditions we're use to. and theres gonna be a lot of packer fans there. look how many pack fans were in philly and atlanta, christ this game is 45 miles from our border

they played us close the last game, but i think the horribly cold weather helped them more then us. they're built better for shittier weather. that game was in the single digits, despite what they said on TV, and the wind chill was between -15 and -10 during the game. the temps in chicago are suppose to be in the 20's.

should feel like playing in miami

green_bowl_packer
01-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Packers = Rick Flair, Bears = Steamboat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjW9UXoKU2s

red
01-16-2011, 05:57 PM
woooooooooooooooooooooooooo

funny, that was 89, they said many people though t that hwould be his last title shot. then he hung around for another 15 or 20 years lol

get louder at lambeau
01-16-2011, 06:05 PM
should feel like playing in miami

Or Dallas.

http://www.ticketowl.net/images/superbowlxlvcheap.png

vince
01-16-2011, 06:08 PM
To me, this is the biggest game in franchise history b/c it's a game against their all-time rival for all the marbles. Ultimate bragging rights are on the line forever.

Lose this game, and you're the Bears fan bitch. Win and glory is ours.

Everyone do yourself a favor and read this book during the week. Consider it a homework assignment. Your blood will be boiling by next Sunday.

http://www.amazon.com/Mudbaths-Bloodbaths-Inside-Bears-Packers-Rivalry/dp/1879483440
You can read almost all of it here.
http://books.google.com/books?id=fuxU8if3pSMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Mud+Baths+and+Bloodbaths:+The+Inside+Story+of+t he+Bears-Packers+Rivalry&hl=en&ei=XoUzTfXnHI-p8Abp5LCRCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=true

gbgary
01-16-2011, 09:31 PM
it's gonna be a loooooong week.

Joemailman
01-16-2011, 11:32 PM
FWIW: Packers and Steelers both favored by 3.

get louder at lambeau
01-16-2011, 11:33 PM
FWIW: Packers and Steelers both favored by 3.

That would be an amazing Super Bowl matchup.

denverYooper
01-16-2011, 11:34 PM
it's gonna be a loooooong week.

Yup.

Joemailman
01-16-2011, 11:47 PM
I wonder if MM will try to find a practice field with footing bad enough to duplicate what they will play on at Soldier Field.

Tony Oday
01-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks Jerry Jones for building the Packers such a nice place to play in!

Tarlam!
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
I wonder if MM will try to find a practice field with footing bad enough to duplicate what they will play on at Soldier Field.

This EXACT thought shot through my mind! Plus, I hope he let's 'em practice outdoors (Remember the Giants).

I kinda hate myself, because this is the matchup I voted for. Now it's here, I can feel the saliva drying up already and my hands are beginning to tremble. By the end of the week my tongue will be glued to the roof of my mouth, but it won't matter 'cause I won't be able to hold a coffee cup let alone keep any food down.

Bossman641
01-17-2011, 12:06 AM
The field conditions have me worried. It really neutralizes the passing game and shrinks the talent gap between the Pack and Bears. MM will have to stay committed to the run and get Starks going.

Tony Oday
01-17-2011, 12:08 AM
We will not win running...short slants and such folks!!!

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2011, 12:08 AM
I don't think field conditions neutralize the passing game. Actually, it gives OL and WRs the advantage. Snow, rain, and/or wind (especially) can neutralize the passing game though.

Tarlam!
01-17-2011, 12:15 AM
My new sig says it all...

Bossman641
01-17-2011, 12:19 AM
The WR can't run the routes with as much precision as they normally do. Everything is a step slower and they have to keep their feet underneath them on cuts. I watch the Bears almost every week. Week after week the visiting teams come out falling and slipping and don't adjust until the second quarter or so.

It also slows the pass rush. This obviously hurts us as well, but I'd rather have CM3 and Raji pressuring Cutler every other play.

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2011, 12:23 AM
I just have to disagree. It's slippery for both offense and defense. The offense has the advantage because they know where they are going. I think poor field conditions often favor the offense. Wind, snow, and rain are a different story. Now, maybe some teams adjust poorly to the conditions at Soldier Field, but we've played there enough that we don't normally have those problems.

mission
01-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Been worried about the turf conditions too... hopefully they get their cleat lengths right and all that.

I wonder how much we "left behind" when we played them in week 17. You know MM tries to be tricky and maybe figured we'd see them again in the playoffs. Hopefully we see some new special "bear beater" schemes on offense this week.

Our WRs just gotta keep making plays and hang onto the football afterwards.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I think Nostradamus predicted something about this game; he foresaw something about a fellow called 'Hister'...yeah, that's right, that's Hester baby!

We'll all be watching the downfall of the "Third Reich" personafied in Hester/Hister and his Nazi Bear Sturmtruppen fagot team.

MadtownPacker
01-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Just telll the WRs to go down when they are getting gang tackled and the O will be fine. Im cool with 5-10yd receiving bits and pieces versus fumbles for trying to gain an extra yard.

vince
01-17-2011, 12:18 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/mnkcarp/arbear.jpg

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't think field conditions neutralize the passing game. Actually, it gives OL and WRs the advantage. Snow, rain, and/or wind (especially) can neutralize the passing game though.

Right on Harv. Wind is the big enemy. Any conditions that favor a field position game, a run-heavy game, help Chicago. a Crisp, Dry, still afternoon in the cold favors the Packers. Based on the Patriots game, a reasonable snow favors the Packers as well.

I have to do more evaluation to determine whether a fast track favors Chicago or GB. Seems like a cow pasture would neutralize Urlacher, Knox, Hester, and the pass rush, but might also help slow down Packers receivers for Chicago's limited secondary and slow down GB pass rush (Matthews, Woodson) as well.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
What about...Lava rain, radioactive hail or, dare I say it, SNOWMAGEDDON !?

I think Packers will preveil any kind of apocalyptic weather and Bears too.

Bretsky
01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I'd favor a fast trak for Green Bay; the only disadvantage it puts us in is with Hester and if Slouch slocum has a brain he won't allow Hester to beat us

denverYooper
01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm feeling 104 yards for Starks this game.

Pugger
01-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Running against those bares is tough so I doubt Starks will get 100. But if he gets just enough to keep the bares' D honest that will be huge.

Will the NFL come in and re-sod Soldier Field?

MJZiggy
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Running against those bares is tough so I doubt Starks will get 100. But if he gets just enough to keep the bares' D honest that will be huge.

Will the NFL come in and re-sod Soldier Field?

Too late to re-sod now. There'll be no time for the new grass to establish itself and there will be divots on every play. Best they can do now is plug and tarp it at night. Maybe they'll deem it too sucky and tell them to go play in Detroit.:mrgreen:

swede
01-17-2011, 03:38 PM
They don't expect it to grow. In Green Bay a few years back they rolled out big rolls of sod many feet wide and 4 inches thick just to cover the hash marked center of the field. It all gets torn out after the season.

MJZiggy
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
They don't expect it to grow. In Green Bay a few years back they rolled out big rolls of sod many feet wide and 4 inches thick just to cover the hash marked center of the field. It all gets torn out after the season.
Not thinking about growing. I'm thinking that if it doesn't root and anchor, the whole thing will pull apart everytime a player cuts, pushes or takes off. I don't know that they'd be able to get the soil at the bottom of that 4 inches to adhere well enough to whatever's beneath it. There's a heater under that field, right?

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
...a field of Bear rugs?

get louder at lambeau
01-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Not thinking about growing. I'm thinking that if it doesn't root and anchor, the whole thing will pull apart everytime a player cuts, pushes or takes off. I don't know that they'd be able to get the soil at the bottom of that 4 inches to adhere well enough to whatever's beneath it. There's a heater under that field, right?

4 inches is pretty thick. They might not care what happens under that. And I think the heaters are just pipes pumped full of warm water.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Heroes by David Bowie, as sung by Stubby and mmmdk

*mmmdk*
I
I will be king [mmmdk is always right]
And you
You will be queen [manage the clock, can ya Stubby?]
Though nothing will
Drive them away [Ill mannered PRs that want to say mmmdk is not always right]
*Together*
We can beat them [Beat da Bears!]