PDA

View Full Version : PFT hit piece on Rodgers

th87
01-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Alleges that Rodgers ignored a cancer patient.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/16/aaron-rodgers-has-a-lot-to-learn-about-where-his-money-comes-from/

The video "evidence" shows Rodgers already past the woman, and it didn't even look like she was seeking his attention. I can't believe this could possibly fuel such an article.

mraynrand
01-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Must be Bears' fans

th87
01-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Ah, there's a second video. Doesn't look good.

gbpackfan
01-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Im so sick of this kind of bullshit. What hack journalism. And I actually like PFT but this is stupid. He's walking through the airport, during a game related trip. This isn't June and he's on his way to Vegas. Can you imagine if he stopped for EVERY fan. He would never get anywhere. Sometimes pro-athletes have to put their head down and just walk. Now all of a sudden he treats cancer patients like shit. This reads like a headline from the ONION. How absurd.

gbpackfan
01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Ah, there's a second video. Doesn't look good.

What doesn't look good? He is walking through an airport and doesnt stop to sign for one of probably a hundred autograph seekers. He doesnt know her back story, that she has cancer. Did he even make eye contact with her or was he just trying to get somewhere? What is his side of the story. Get a grip. It doesnt look good-please. WATCH the video! There are people standing in a line and he doesnt stop for anyone. Does that make him an asshole? No. I have seen him stop and sign a ton of autographs at training camp, at the team hotel, in a bunch of different places. This is shit.

RashanGary
01-16-2011, 05:05 PM
OMG. The guy is a superstar QB. He gets people wanting his autograph everywhere he goes. I'm sure he has an autopilot like mode that he goes into in public where he ignores all of the attention. I'm sorry, but the guy who did this is a scum bag. AR had no clue she had cancer and has a right to privacy. I promise I'll never hit a page that idiot writes again.

th87
01-16-2011, 05:09 PM
What doesn't look good? He is walking through an airport and doesnt stop to sign for one of probably a hundred autograph seekers. He doesnt know her back story, that she has cancer. Did he even make eye contact with her or was he just trying to get somewhere? What is his side of the story. Get a grip. It doesnt look good-please.

Of course, I agree. I'm just saying the public perception may not be kind, as unfair as it is.

Scott Campbell
01-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Non issue.

gbpackfan
01-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Of course, I agree. I'm just saying the public perception may not be kind, as unfair as it is.

Agree. It's just so JV.

Lurker64
01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Football players are people. If I had a whole bunch of people wanting to get my attention in airports regularly, there are times that I would just ignore most of them regardless of whether or not they were worthy of my attention for whatever reason. I don't see why I should expect football players to be different.

The positive side of this is, however, if the Packers track her down and make it up to her they can spin this in a positive fashion.

th87
01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
My anger is directed to Florio. No journalistic integrity for this article.

Scott Campbell
01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Football players are people. If I had a whole bunch of people wanting to get my attention in airports regularly, there are times that I would just ignore most of them regardless of whether or not they were worthy of my attention for whatever reason. I don't see why I should expect football players to be different.

The positive side of this is, however, if the Packers track her down and make it up to her they can spin this in a positive fashion.

Other teams players aren't subject to walking through the general public terminal. And maybe ours won't be either after this.

esoxx
01-16-2011, 05:25 PM
My understanding is Florio's a Viking fan. Regardless, he's a hack journalist with this type of bilge.

red
01-16-2011, 05:25 PM
this is florio once again trying to take an elite packer QB down a notch

guy is a massive vikings fan, has been his whole life. the guy use to dog favre like crazy until he went to minnie

now he's trying to make an all around good guy and great player out to be an asshole

players just can't stop and sign autographs for every single person that wants one. and as far as i can tell she didn't have a big giant sign on her chest saying "cancer patient, arron please sign my tits". so that makes her just one of about 10,000 ordinary people per day that want him to sign something

at the last bears game i was in row 1. after the game, a-rod, driver, jennings, and jordy did a lap around the stadium waving to the crowd and giving people high fives. i clearly stuck my hand out but not a single one of those asshole gave me five. despite the fact i was freezing to death and had the runs. how dare they ignore me :(

MJZiggy
01-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Yes, they are people. Anyone know what time they arrived in Green Bay this morning? I don't really pay attention to people at that hour of the morning as I only want some sleep.

mission
01-16-2011, 05:43 PM
1. He has earbuds in
2. She had a hat on and at glance it's hard to assume *that* has to be the lady with cancer they were briefed on at some point earlier.

Point is, Rodgers will respond to this -- Packers will make it right -- and it's going to come down some stupid misunderstanding where he didn't even notice her. It's not like she's grabbing his arm and he's telling her to fuck off.

Or I'm wrong and Rodgers really hates old ladies with cancer. Wonder which one it could be.

red
01-16-2011, 05:51 PM
we should also point out that florio said it should be obvious that an old lady wearing a pink shirt is a cancer survivor

fuck that

about 10% of the random women i see in green bay are wearing some kind of pink packer gear, and at games and at the stadium on non game days, about half the women are wearing pink pack gear

get louder at lambeau
01-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Rodgers really hates old ladies with cancer.

Who doesn't? Cancerous old bitches piss me off too.

green_bowl_packer
01-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Whole article is very Jay Mariotti'ish.

gbpackfan
01-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Who doesn't? Cancerous old bitches piss me off too.

Bwahahahahahahaha. That post actually made me laugh out loud. Which means Ill be joining you in hell. ;-)

pbmax
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Comes with the territory and this is the main reason athletes and other celebs cordon themselves off from the public. The demands are unrealistic and there is a 75% chance the athlete comes out looking bad versus 25 the other way.

If she really wanted her hat signed, sending it to the team with a letter of explanation would seem more likely to make the case that she deserves a break.

swede
01-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Comes with the territory and this is the main reason athletes and other celebs cordon themselves off from the public. The demands are unrealistic and there is a 75% chance the athlete comes out looking bad versus 25 the other way.

Look what happened when George Costanza tried to pass a little quality time with the Bubble Boy. "Moops"

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2011, 07:33 PM
With the whole celestial signs unrest lately maybe Aaron thought she was a Virgo and not a Cancer.

swede
01-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Well played, Craig.

Zool
01-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Look what happened when George Costanza tried to pass a little quality time with the Bubble Boy. "Moops"

Hey you, lift up your shirt.

Guiness
01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Other teams players aren't subject to walking through the general public terminal. And maybe ours won't be either after this.

How's that? Do go through the public terminal in GB? What happens in other cities, do they have some way of bypassing what us peons have to pass through?

digitaldean
01-16-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55p2oWAAXKg&feature=watch_response

That same lady was able to get the Claymaker to autograph her pink Matthews jersey.

Pugger
01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Yes, they are people. Anyone know what time they arrived in Green Bay this morning? I don't really pay attention to people at that hour of the morning as I only want some sleep.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/photo-gallery/Fans-Greet-Team-At-Airport-After-Win-In-Atlanta/f55fb412-7aec-4f20-86ab-5d59328616b3

MadtownPacker
01-16-2011, 08:00 PM
So who is gonna kick TH87 in the balls for posting this crap? :lol:

This shit is stupid though. I doubt he dogged her.

MadtownPacker
01-16-2011, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55p2oWAAXKg&feature=watch_response

That same lady was able to get the Claymaker to autograph her pink Matthews jersey.
OK, watching that video maybe he walked by her but based on what I am reading she had a CM3 jersey so maybe he though she was waiting for Matthews?

RashanGary
01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
He has a right to not sign autographs all of the time. He walked past, was skipping autographs. It's unfair to chastise him for not snubbing a poor cancer victim when he didn't even know. Geeze.

RashanGary
01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
AR is big time now. Time to stop going out in public because of this type of thing. It's sad.

MadtownPacker
01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Has anyone ever heard this? Read it in the comments:

dempsey63 says: Jan 16, 2011 3:50 PM Brett Favre once played a prank on Aaron Rodgers before a practice session, asking him to autograph a helmet for a Favre 4ward Foundation charity recipient who specifically requested that Rodgers’ signature dominate the headgear.
Rodgers complied, but when he went to his locker to dress for practice his own helmet was missing. You guessed it–Rodgers’ helmet was the one that Favre had him sign, and he had no choice but to grab it and hurry out to the practice field to avoid being fined. (There was no “charity recipient.”)
Rodgers, of course, looked like a real prima donna as the only player at the public practice with his own gigantic autograph adorning his helmet. And Favre, for some reason, had a Cheshire grin on his face all afternoon.

red
01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
what the fuck is this lady doing in the terminal anyways?

i thought because of 9/11 normal people weren't allowed within 2 miles of an airport without an actual plane ticket

i remember picking up my relatives at ohare a few years back. they were just standing on the sidewalk waiting for me. i pulled up and had some asshole security guy telling me to get moving after about 30 seconds

and i'm as white as white can be

CaptainKickass
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Bwahahahahahahaha. That post actually made me laugh out loud. Which means Ill be joining you in hell. ;-)

Pretty sure I can get you on the guest list

With the whole celestial signs unrest lately maybe Aaron thought she was a Virgo and not a Cancer.

Has anyone ever heard this?

"dempsey63 says: Jan 16, 2011 3:50 PM Brett Favre once played a prank on Aaron Rodgers before a practice session, asking him to autograph a helmet for a Favre 4ward Foundation charity recipient who specifically requested that Rodgers’ signature dominate the headgear.
Rodgers complied, but when he went to his locker to dress for practice his own helmet was missing. You guessed it–Rodgers’ helmet was the one that Favre had him sign, and he had no choice but to grab it and hurry out to the practice field to avoid being fined. (There was no “charity recipient.”)
Rodgers, of course, looked like a real prima donna as the only player at the public practice with his own gigantic autograph adorning his helmet. And Favre, for some reason, had a Cheshire grin on his face all afternoon."

Read it in the comments:

You guys just kill me. Highly entertaining.

Patler
01-16-2011, 09:15 PM
So this was about 2:00 am? If Rodgers had stopped to sign one, how many more would he have had to sign? For 30 minutes? An hour? Two hours?

th87
01-16-2011, 09:47 PM
So who is gonna kick TH87 in the balls for posting this crap? :lol:

This shit is stupid though. I doubt he dogged her.

Pay attention! This is about Florio acting like a douchebag.

TravisWilliams23
01-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I did a google search for any Rodgers charitable work and it seems he is quite involved in many activities. Here's a bit from an article written Jan 9, 2010:

Thanks in large part to Rodgers’ steady leadership under center, the Packers have proven to be a threat in all venues this year. But it’s not just on the football field that Rodgers stands out as a star. He regularly lends his time to deserving charities, especially children’s charities and cancer charities. “Cancer struck members of my extended family and also close friends,” he says. “Anytime I get to work with an organization that deals with some sort of cancer [issue], it’s a no brainer.”

Rodgers says he is also proud to be highly involved in the charitable work of teammates Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. Yet, perhaps more endearing than the quantity of charitable work Rodgers does is the fact that he remains humble about his contributions rather than seeking attention from them. “I’m often thanked for giving of my time, but it’s really a reversal of that,” he says. “It’s such a great opportunity for me to be involved with a [deserving] organization.”

He doesn't have a "record" of being a jack ass and almost everything I've read or heard about his attitude is positive so I'd really like to get some kind of quote from him on just what happened in this particular incident.

Makes you wonder just what exactly the writer was trying to convey by getting this video out to the public other than to put Aaron Rodgers in a negative view.

Scott Campbell
01-16-2011, 10:20 PM
So this was about 2:00 am? If Rodgers had stopped to sign one, how many more would he have had to sign? For 30 minutes? An hour? Two hours?

2am? Screw her then. Fans have no business asking anybody for autographs at 2am in the morning.

wootah
01-17-2011, 05:47 AM
Aaron Nagler's take on this story: link (http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/mike-florio-attacks-aaron-rodgers) .

Start folding the tinfoil hats!

Smeefers
01-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Woah woah woah, wait a second. That was absolutely horrendous. Looks like it's time to trade him.

Tarlam!
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Woah woah woah, wait a second. That was absolutely horrendous. Looks like it's time to trade him.

BOMNF!

(That's "Beer Outta My Nostrils Funny". You're still new here and although the acronym is utterly obvious, people tend to forget.....)

Patler
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Aaron Nagler's take on this story: link (http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/mike-florio-attacks-aaron-rodgers) .

Start folding the tinfoil hats!

Interesting. According to that report, this lady is a "regular" at the airport when the Packers arrive, and Rodgers spoke to her and signed autographs for her last week. That would explain why he might pass her by this time. An interview with her about that would be interesting.

If that is true, PFT owes Rodgers an apology just as public as the criticism was. If Rodgers has signed things for her already, I don't think he is obliged to sign more for her every time she shows up.

Smeefers
01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
BOMNF!

(That's "Beer Outta My Nostrils Funny". You're still new here and although the acronym is utterly obvious, people tend to forget.....)

Yes yes... obvious. That's exactly the wording I'd use for something I've never heard before.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Interesting. According to that report, this lady is a "regular" at the airport when the Packers arrive, and Rodgers spoke to her and signed autographs for her last week. That would explain why he might pass her by this time. An interview with her about that would be interesting.

If that is true, PFT owes Rodgers an apology just as public as the criticism was. If Rodgers has signed things for her already, I don't think he is obliged to sign more for her every time she shows up.

I'm still stunned that she had the audacity to ask at 2am in the morning.

Guiness
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Interesting. The sound bite from her made it sound like she was upset. If it's true that she's a regular, and AR has signed stuff for her before, she really has no reason to be too upset. Although a little wave of recognition would've been nice.

Despite fears of getting roasted myself, I'm going to 'plan B' her here a bit - I know some people who're sick, and think they deserve special treatment, people to acknowledge their illness all the time, advertise the fact that they are/have been sick. I don't know her personally of course, and not saying she's like that in particular, but it does point that way a little. For her to say to a camera 'I had breast cancer and he wouldn't sign my hat'...

Before anyone says I don't understand, my mother had breast cancer, and a remission that landed her in chemo/radiation a second time. She didn't/doesn't let it slow her down, and the only way you'd know about it is because she sometimes wears a pink ribbon, and she runs the local daffodil campaign. She certainly doesn't expect any sort of special treatment.

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 10:32 AM

No kidding. The last thing I remember asking for at 2 AM was to get my pants back

mission
01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Ya it turned out #12 already signed an autograph for her and she's just a regular at the airport.

And what's a cancer patient doing up at 2am anyway? Sheesh.

Packers4Glory
01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
I'd be severely disappointed had he not apparently signed an autograph and talked to her before as its now being reported. I didn't see the video but I can also see a scenario where maybe he wasn't even paying attention to see her. Its not like its 7 in the morning and he's walking by her. Its 2 AM and he might be so wiped out that he's on auto-pilot. Big games and other situations that get the adrenalin pumping have a tendency to completely wipe you out after its all over. That much I can attest to.

Joemailman
01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Rodgers has done a lot of charity work, but you hardly hear about it because he's not public about it. The fact that a camera was rolling may have had a lot to do with why he didn't stop.

MJZiggy
01-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I'd be severely disappointed had he not apparently signed an autograph and talked to her before as its now being reported. I didn't see the video but I can also see a scenario where maybe he wasn't even paying attention to see her. Its not like its 7 in the morning and he's walking by her. Its 2 AM and he might be so wiped out that he's on auto-pilot. Big games and other situations that get the adrenalin pumping have a tendency to completely wipe you out after its all over. That much I can attest to.

I also kinda think that playing 4 quarters of NFL football could make one a tad worn out as well, but that's just my opinion. I might show up at the airport to welcome them home, but I would never expect anything from them for my trouble. The point of being there is supposed to be to show support FOR THEM.

Guinness, you may be right. My mom had breast cancer too, and sometimes I forget because she never talks about it. A very good friend of mine has had it twice and the fact that she was bald for a while and wears the pink shirt at the race for the cure are the only ways you'd know. Neither would ever have been caught dead on camera about it.

MadtownPacker
01-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Well at least she wasnt as bad as this old lady....

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/101212-Legion-demonic-grandma.nv_nws.jpg

MadtownPacker
01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
For the record, let's not attack Grandma over this. Unless she is hocking the autographs on Ebay for profit I see nothing wrong with her hanging out to interact with the players and gets sigs regardless of the time. Just a hardcore fan and what the hell else is she gonna do anyways? I dont think she said anything negative about Rodgers just that she wanted him to sign her hat. I dont think ARod dogged her and was probably thinking she was looking for Matthews since she had his jersey in her hand (why would a player think about signing anyone else jersey). All of bunch of anti-Packer BS, with her and ARod the victims.

Patler
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Well at least she wasnt as bad as this old lady....

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/101212-Legion-demonic-grandma.nv_nws.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Where the heck do you guys find this things?
The library of photos some of you have must be tremendous !

Scott Campbell
01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Where the heck do you guys find this things?
The library of photos some of you have must be tremendous !

That's Madtown's mother in law. Which helps explain his mood swings.

Scott Campbell
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
For the record, let's not attack Grandma over this.

At 2am, grandma is a complete sh!thead for asking for autographs.

Especially is she's selling them, which is a lot more likely given the frequency of her reported trips to the airport.

red
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
For the record, let's not attack Grandma over this. Unless she is hocking the autographs on Ebay for profit I see nothing wrong with her hanging out to interact with the players and gets sigs regardless of the time. Just a hardcore fan and what the hell else is she gonna do anyways? I dont think she said anything negative about Rodgers just that she wanted him to sign her hat. I dont think ARod dogged her and was probably thinking she was looking for Matthews since she had his jersey in her hand (why would a player think about signing anyone else jersey). All of bunch of anti-Packer BS, with her and ARod the victims.

i'm thinking she is trying to sell them on e-bay, or get them for other people. she's there all the time trying to get anyone to sign, and she just got a sig last week from a-rod, why does she need another if she isn't trying to sell them?

Brandon494
01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
What a joke

Brandon494
01-17-2011, 05:26 PM
But Im glad Matthews gave her an autograph at the end because she deserved it.

green_bowl_packer
01-17-2011, 05:56 PM
http://deadspin.com/5736099/so-did-a-snubbed-cancer-patient-really-come-to-aaron-rodgers-public+relations-rescue

So, Did A Snubbed Cancer Patient Really Come To Aaron Rodgers' Public-Relations Rescue? Yes, Jan Cavanaugh did.

"I am very unhappy with people making so much out of this, because this really isn't that big of a deal. It's up to the players to decide who they want to give an autograph to, and that's their prerogative."

Just a week earlier, Rodgers autographed Jan's pink jersey bearing the number 12 as the team departed for Philadelphia. [WBAY]

Florio has a bug up his ass about this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/last-word-on-the-aaron-rodgers-jan-cavanaugh-video/

Last word on the Aaron Rodgers-Jan Cavanaugh video
Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2011, 6:31 PM EST

When we posted on Sunday the item regarding video from WBAY-TV showing Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers breezing by a breast cancer patient hopeful that he’d sign her hat, we knew there would be a reaction.

Packers fans, basking in the franchise’s biggest win since Brett Favre left town, have no interest in any criticism of their new green-and-golden boy. It’s obvious. It’s predictable. And we don’t blame them for being protective of their star quarterback.

After all, plenty of fans of other teams blindly have defended far, far worse behavior by their star quarterbacks. (The Falcons circa 2007 and the Steelers circa 2010 come to mind.) Rodgers, as we admitted on Sunday, was fully within his rights to not acknowledge the existence of Jan Cavanaugh while walking through the airport as the team either was heading to or returning from Atlanta. And we had every right to react to the video, as harvested, edited, and presented by WBAY, by opining that Rodgers was acting like an ass.

Since the item surfaced here and at Deadspin, a litany of excuses and clarifications has emerged on Rodgers’ behalf. For some bloggers inclined either to pander to Packers fans or to settle old scores with (or possibly, to gain some traffic by sparking a public fight), the caught-on-film conduct of Rodgers has been overlooked or minimized in favor of attacks against those who dared to point out what the video obviously shows — Rodgers walking past Jan Cavanaugh as if she didn’t exist.

How strong is the desire to defend Rodgers from criticism? We’ve even been accused of running a payola ring, trading favorable coverage of players for cash. Yes, at least one man with a cheesehead fashioned from tin foil suggests that we have funded PFT by illegally taking money from agents to say nice things about their clients, and to say bad things about the clients of their competitors. (For the benefit of those who will be inclined to think it’s true unless we dignify the delusion with a denial, the accusation is completely untrue.)

Actually, it was against our interests to post the story criticizing Rodgers, since we had submitted a request on Sunday for a Packers player to appear this week on PFT Live. We’ve got a feeling that, for perhaps the same reason WBAY so quickly deleted the video, our request will be denied.

It doesn’t matter whether it was Rodgers or any other player. Whoever walked by Jan Cavanaugh like she wasn’t even there was going to get reamed on the pages of PFT, because I believe that cancer patients deserve the highest level of respect and deference that can be provided.

Anyone whose life has been touched by the disease knows what I mean. We all can see in Jan Cavanaugh the mother or sister or aunt or friend or neighbor who has had to confront a silent killer that could kill — and, frankly, eventually will kill — many of the people reading these words. (For those of you who make it to 45 without getting cancer, that’s probably about the time you’ll start worrying from time to time about all the different organs in your body, and your spouse’s body, that eventually could be infested with it.)

This, in the lull between a boring Seahawks-Bears game and the start of the Jets-Patriots game the WBAY report, forwarded to us by multiple readers, struck a nerve with me.

So what of the follow-up report from WBAY, which likely has spent much of the past 24 hours apologizing to angry viewers for depicting Rodgers in a negative light and simultaneously applying lips to the buttocks of anyone and everyone in the Packers organization, that Rodgers signed a jersey the week before for Cavanaugh? Apparently, some of you think that makes his decision to walk past her without a nod or a smile or anything else fine and dandy.

I don’t.

If anything, this familiarity tends to reinforce the notion that Rodgers knew or should have known that Cavanaugh has cancer, making his failure to offer a friendly nod or a wave or a quick “not today, maybe next time” while she waited for him to sign her hat even more strange.

Many Packers fans have pointed out all the charitable things that Rodgers has done over the years. He deserves credit for that. And so allow us publicly to declare, “Attaboy.”

Folks who frequent this site on a regular basis know that we aren’t terribly impressed by the things athletes do while the world is watching. As one high-level executive with a team other than the Packers (and not an NFC North rival) observed in response the WBAY video, what we do when tired, cranky, busy, etc. reveals more about our true character than what we do when attending a charitable event arranged through the team and/or handlers.

As to the argument that Rodgers was wearing ear buds and thus not paying attention to his surroundings, that excuse doesn’t cut it as to anyone who is over the age 0f 15. Rodgers knows that fans gather in that airport when the Packers come and go. Choosing to remain in his own little world isn’t the way to interact with those whose interest in football helps pay Rodgers’ salary. (Which was the real point of our first story on the matter.)

As to the idea that Rodgers was just focused on the task at hand, the Packers were flying to Atlanta, not walking into the Georgia Dome.

As to the idea that Jan Cavanaugh wasn’t bothered by Rodgers’ decision to snub her, that’s her prerogative. And we respect her for it. She’s a Packers fan, she lives in the area, she wants to see the team do well, and she’s got bigger things in her life to worry about than whether Aaron Rodgers will give her the time of day.

Bottom line? As we said last night on Twitter, nothing said or argued or reported since we first posted the item changes for us the image of Rodgers ignoring Jan Cavanaugh. But if it will make Packers fans feel better to complain about our coverage of the incident instead of acknowledging (as a few grudgingly have done) that Rodgers handled the situation poorly, nothing we can say or argue or report will change that.

th87
01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Here's Florio's follow up, which pisses me off even more.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/last-word-on-the-aaron-rodgers-jan-cavanaugh-video/

Just amazing.

th87
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Ah, beat me to it.

get louder at lambeau
01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
"I am very unhappy with people making so much out of this, because this really isn't that big of a deal.

That's hilarious. Florio gets all high and mighty about Rodgers not being nice to a cancer patient, and the cancer patient is mad at Florio, not Rodgers.

Fuck you Florio, you're making something out of nothing, and now you have to respond with the a blog post about 4 times as long as the normal ones trying to claim you're still right.

pbmax
01-17-2011, 06:12 PM

There were a lot more people there than just her at 2 am, Scott. She isn't that unusual. But Patler's point about her being a regular is a topic people are not going to want to tread on. Who wants to be the person to pick on a cancer survivor?

Florio has been made aware of the fact that Rodgers signed for her last week and he isn't backing down. He is doing his usual dance of standing by his opinion while dismisses complaints without answering them. Like a six year old going "LA LA LA LA LA, I can't hear you!"

I don't buy Nagler's offered assertion that Florio has had financial backing from agents and that it has caused to him to post or not post due to those relationships. Florio has directly refuted these reports before and has named his backer (a banker whose name I cannot recall at the moment). Unless Nagler is willing to offer details, he is just rumor-mongering in my opinion. That isn't to say Florio isn't influenced by agents or that he doesn't receive info from them. He clearly does.

But his original post has an adolescent feel to it. Like he was personally wounded that someone could ignore a cancer victim and he was going to extact revenge for his outrage. Clearly that disease has touched him closely and he is sensitive about it. He didn't even know if Rodgers knew who she was or what she suffered from, yet he didn't refrain from unloading. Even as he acknowledges she was wearing a Clay Matthews jersey, he considers no other alternative explanations. And he certainly doesn't allow for the fact that someone in her position could be asking too many times for too many things.

He is simply a hurt and angry young man. This is more about him than Rodgers.

pbmax
01-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Awww, you do have a heart.

I agree the woman has committed no wrong. Even if she is a repeat visitor, there is no reason she can't go to meet the players.

But by the same token, there is a time and place where the players can say no. He could take Bill Russell's stance and say no to autographs altogether.

pbmax
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
At 2am, grandma is a complete sh!thead for asking for autographs.

Especially is she's selling them, which is a lot more likely given the frequency of her reported trips to the airport.

How about these shitheads?

http://www.packers.com/media-center/photo-gallery/Fans-Greet-Team-At-Airport-After-Win-In-Atlanta/f55fb412-7aec-4f20-86ab-5d59328616b3

http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2011/01-January/airport-bie_3269--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

get louder at lambeau
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
I agree the woman has committed no wrong.

She committed no wrong. Rodgers committed no wrong. The only one wrong here was Florio, for trying to blame a football player for walking through an airport. That's all he did.

pbmax
01-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Or these two?

http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2011/01-January/airport-cc2_2862--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

pbmax
01-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Or pm pom waver?

http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2011/01-January/airport-cc2_2860--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

get louder at lambeau
01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
The lady with cancer said "I was terribly upset this morning, because I did not realize what was online..."

Good job Florio. Your dumb ass just upset a cancer patient "terribly". Not Rodgers- YOU, by making a big deal out of absolutely nothing.

There's no apology to the cancer patient from Florio in his long response piece. He just glosses over her feelings about it and stands by his opinion that Rodgers was being an ass. What a jerkoff.

billy_oliver880
01-17-2011, 08:50 PM
The lady with cancer said "I was terribly upset this morning, because I did not realize what was online..."

Good job Florio. Your dumb ass just upset a cancer patient "terribly". Not Rodgers- YOU, by making a big deal out of absolutely nothing.

There's no apology to the cancer patient from Florio in his long response piece. He just glosses over her feelings about it and stands by his opinion that Rodgers was being an ass. What a jerkoff.

I think Rodgers will take care of this quietly. I used to love reading Florio's page. I have no interest in that.

billy_oliver880
01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
My comments got deleted. What a crack job.

digitaldean
01-17-2011, 11:20 PM
I usually take Florio's reporting with a grain (sometimes a bucket) of salt...

He is good at digging up stories, but, man, on this one, he is going WAY out of his way to cover his ass on this.

When Ms. Cavanaugh had something signed by AR the week before, where was Mike then? Now just because she gets waved off by the security guy with Rodgers, he gets verbally pilloried by Florio.

Have been reading the comments after the last PFT post on this topic. Florio is getting slammed big time on this, even by non-Packer fans.

He is sure acting like someone pissed in his Cheerios.

Cheesehead Craig
01-18-2011, 08:41 AM
All I know is that I've now visited that site about 6 times the last 2 days which is 6 times more than I have the last 4+ years. He got what he wanted which was traffic to feed his ego. I look forward to my next 4+ years of not visiting that site.

sharpe1027
01-18-2011, 09:06 AM
All I know is that I've now visited that site about 6 times the last 2 days which is 6 times more than I have the last 4+ years. He got what he wanted which was traffic to feed his ego. I look forward to my next 4+ years of not visiting that site.

I would be willing to bet that his short term gain in traffic is offset by his longterm losses.

mraynrand
01-18-2011, 09:17 AM
If Florio gets fired for this, he could always work With Olbermann or Savage - same brand of 'reportage.'

red
01-18-2011, 09:28 AM

i ususally go there 15 to 20 times a day

after his follow up yesterday i'll be done with his site for awhile

get louder at lambeau
01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
My comments got deleted. What a crack job.

They didn't post mine either. I called Florio a hypocrite for making a big deal about Rodgers not being sensitive to a cancer patient, then not apologizing to the same cancer patient when she said she was "terribly upset" by Florio blowing it all out of proportion.

Noodle
01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Apparently, Ms. Cavanaugh has had someone post a reply to the Florio site, and she is not pleased:

robinyount19 says:
Jan 18, 2011 6:59 AM
From Jan herself:

Dear Steve,
Thank you so much for “tracking me down”. I had no idea this hubbub was going on and it is very embarrassing to me. We are big Packer fans and do not want anything to interfere with the Packs game with the Bears next weekend.

We love having Packer parties when they play, have a Packer Christmas tree that we set up every Christmas, Packer clothing, etc., etc.

Aaron did sign a jersey for me the night they came home from playing the Eagles. But my sister-in-law (a Viking fan) had given me a pink Packers cap when I lost my hair and I wanted Aaron to sign it. Didn’t get that accomplished, but in all fairness to Aaron he had signed my jersey the week before.

There were only a few of us at the airport the times we’ve been up there in the last month. It is sometimes hard to understand why the players can’t take a few minutes and sign things when there are so few people asking for autographs. I can understand not wanting to be held up after a game and an airplane ride if there are lots of people that want you to sign something. However, that hasn’t been the case up to now.

Again, I’m embarrassed and I’m sure it’s embarrassing to Aaron who quietly has done so much for the community with so many groups. I know that none of us wanted to make so much out of it. Yes, I’ve had cancer, yes I don’t have hair right now, but I am fine and will be fine and don’t want people making more out of this than there is.

Thanks Steve for letting me know what was happening. I’m not good on the computer and would never have found out if you hadn’t let me know.

Jan

I was inclined to think she was a bit of a drama person, as some here speculated, but she actually sounds pretty cool, and you have to know she is feeling big-time embarrased (which is incredibly unfortunate). Florio is taking some good hits, but the punk won't nut-up and admitt he did the ol' "Ready, Fire, Aim" bit.

get louder at lambeau
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Apparently, Ms. Cavanaugh has had someone post a reply to the Florio site, and she is not pleased:

robinyount19 says:
Jan 18, 2011 6:59 AM
From Jan herself:

Dear Steve,
Thank you so much for “tracking me down”. I had no idea this hubbub was going on and it is very embarrassing to me. We are big Packer fans and do not want anything to interfere with the Packs game with the Bears next weekend.

We love having Packer parties when they play, have a Packer Christmas tree that we set up every Christmas, Packer clothing, etc., etc.

Aaron did sign a jersey for me the night they came home from playing the Eagles. But my sister-in-law (a Viking fan) had given me a pink Packers cap when I lost my hair and I wanted Aaron to sign it. Didn’t get that accomplished, but in all fairness to Aaron he had signed my jersey the week before.

There were only a few of us at the airport the times we’ve been up there in the last month. It is sometimes hard to understand why the players can’t take a few minutes and sign things when there are so few people asking for autographs. I can understand not wanting to be held up after a game and an airplane ride if there are lots of people that want you to sign something. However, that hasn’t been the case up to now.

Again, I’m embarrassed and I’m sure it’s embarrassing to Aaron who quietly has done so much for the community with so many groups. I know that none of us wanted to make so much out of it. Yes, I’ve had cancer, yes I don’t have hair right now, but I am fine and will be fine and don’t want people making more out of this than there is.

Thanks Steve for letting me know what was happening. I’m not good on the computer and would never have found out if you hadn’t let me know.

Jan

I was inclined to think she was a bit of a drama person, as some here speculated, but she actually sounds pretty cool, and you have to know she is feeling big-time embarrased (which is incredibly unfortunate). Florio is taking some good hits, but the punk won't nut-up and admitt he did the ol' "Ready, Fire, Aim" bit.

I just can't believe the little lawyer fuckhead didn't apologize to HER, much less Rodgers. He claimed to be motivated by sensitivity towards cancer patients. Well, Mr. Florio, you just upset her more than Rodgers did. Apologize.

billy_oliver880
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
They didn't post mine either. I called Florio a hypocrite for making a big deal about Rodgers not being sensitive to a cancer patient, then not apologizing to the same cancer patient when she said she was "terribly upset" by Florio blowing it all out of proportion.

I just quoted her comment and said he lost a reader.

Guiness
01-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I just can't believe the little lawyer fuckhead didn't apologize to HER, much less Rodgers. He claimed to be motivated by sensitivity towards cancer patients. Well, Mr. Florio, you just upset her more than Rodgers did. Apologize.

+1

Not real keen on her reply, to tell you the truth - she can't understand why they won't stop and sign autographs? How about they're maybe 12h removed from a vicious game, followed by an uncomfortable plane ride, and every inch of their body hurts? After the high of the game wears off, it's a heck of a crash. The desire to crawl into bed ASAP is a big one, and yes, 15 minutes standing around being pleasant can be very tough to do.

billy_oliver880
01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
+1

Not real keen on her reply, to tell you the truth - she can't understand why they won't stop and sign autographs? How about they're maybe 12h removed from a vicious game, followed by an uncomfortable plane ride, and every inch of their body hurts? After the high of the game wears off, it's a heck of a crash. The desire to crawl into bed ASAP is a big one, and yes, 15 minutes standing around being pleasant can be very tough to do.

Gotta believe that he was not the only player that didn't stop.

Patler
01-18-2011, 01:20 PM

It appears Florio "used" a cancer patient for his own self promotion, essentially pitting his self-proclaimed high level concern and empathy for cancer patients against the actions of athletes generally and Rodgers specifically toward cancer patients. He expanded that to pitting his own journalistic integrity against the integrity of those who dared question his motives or thoroughness in reporting, and against the TV station that first posted and then took down the video. However, each time he resorted to calling up the image of the elderly, hairless cancer patient dressed in pink.

Who mistreated the lady more? Rodgers who signed items for the lady earlier and merely passed by at another time; or Florio who has apparently never met or talked to the lady, and has never done anything positive for her, yet uses the verbal image he paints of her for his own self-promotion?

What has Rodgers done for the lady?
What has Florio done for her?

What did Rodgers gain or attempt to gain when he signed things for her?
What did Florio attempt to gain in his use of the "story"?

As many of you have said, the bigger wrong has been perpetrated by PFT.

swede
01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I wonder if the fraternity of sportswriters avoid rubbing other writers' noses in the messes they make?

If not, someone should get the facts out and hit ol' Florio with a rolled up newspaper.

get louder at lambeau
01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
I wonder if the fraternity of sportswriters avoid rubbing other writers' noses in the messes they make?

If not, someone should get the facts out and hit ol' Florio with a rolled up newspaper.

Whack! Right in the nose. NO, FLORIO! THAT'S A BAD, BAD SPORTSWRITER!!-

This led to a bunch of self-serving hand-wringing in the media, particularly from NBC's Mike Florio,

Whole story- http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Cancer-patient-snubbed-by-Rodgers-comes-out-in-h?urn=nfl-309058

Freak Out
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Rodgers on Rome in 7 minutes.....

Freak Out
01-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Rodgers on Rome in 7 minutes.....

So much for that....

MadScientist
01-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Steel-tips to the nuts would be better. Of course I'm still pissed at that asshole's bigoted remarks towards atheists.

get louder at lambeau
01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Of course I'm still pissed at that asshole's bigoted remarks towards atheists.

I missed that. What did he say?

vince
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Rodgers was on Dan Patrick and said he didn't see the woman.

sharpe1027
01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Unintentional or not, I doubt there is a single pro football player that has never walked past someone that might have wanted an autograph.

You can't tell me that Florio has never walked past a homeless person without acknowledging them. Not a perfect analogy, but there are a lot of similarities.

K-town
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.uglyfours.com/ugly-fours/2011/1/17/aaron-rodgers-shits-on-cancer-patient-real-or-just-bear-prop.html

"Okay, there you have it. Proof, in the purest sense, that Aaron Rodgers is funny, kicks ass, and loves cancer. Patients.
Nice try, Cook County Propaganda Team. Better luck next time.
Update on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 2:19PM by http://www.uglyfours.com/universal/images/core-resources/icons/dark/user-registered.pngLord Castleton (http://www.uglyfours.com/display/ShowJournal?moduleId=7550077&registeredAuthorId=1059959)
Update:
Rodgers had signed a shirt for her the week before (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/113982184.html?page=2&commentSubmitted=y&refresh=35900&viewAll=1#comments), and other things for her in years past. Holy shit, what a non-story."

pbmax
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Beyond Patler's assessment, there is only one more thing to say.

Florio's standard apparently is that it is never appropriate to say no to a fan for an autograph. And its newsworthy if that no is said to a cancer survivor. That standard is patently idiotic. He has an angle only because there is video that provides a glimpse, and no context, into the encounter.

He is simply moralizing and looking to collect on indignation. And Patler is quite right, Florio has treated her far more shabbily than Rodgers.

Packgator
01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
He is simply moralizing and looking to collect on indignation. And Patler is quite right, Florio has treated her far more shabbily than Rodgers.

Controversy = hits for his website. At least in his mind.

Cheesehead Craig
01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Controversy = hits for his website. At least in his mind.
Yep, more hits and more money for him. So let's just not visit him and help the Viking lover lose money.

BallHawk
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Listened to Aaron on the Dan Patrick show and Aaron just really emphasized how much he cares about the Green Bay fans but when asked directly about the video and the woman, he kinda tensed up and it was obvious he didn't want to talk about it. I guess Dan Patrick felt bad about his response afterwards because he reassured himself about 15 times that it was okay to ask the question. Kinda weird.

Joemailman
01-18-2011, 04:23 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/listenlive.player.html?file=http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/danpatrick/audio/2011/01/18/DP-Aaron_Rodgers-01-18-11_Interview.mp3

Link to audio of interview with Dan Patrick,

MadScientist
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Of course I'm still pissed at that asshole's bigoted remarks towards atheists.

I missed that. What did he say?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/28/pat-tillmans-brother-wishes-pat-tillman-had-shot-first/

I get even more uncomfortable when someone (whether it’s Richard Tillman or Bill Maher or Christopher Hitchens) feels compelled to grab a microphone and seek company for the possible misery of their own non-belief. If you choose not to believe in God, that’s fine with me. It’s your choice. But there are a lot of people out there, young and old and in between, who have yet to make a final decision, and I don’t like it when folks who have yet to complete their own spiritual journey — regardless of the destination — have their paths obscured by someone on television who is telling them that there is no God.

Guiness
01-18-2011, 05:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/28/pat-tillmans-brother-wishes-pat-tillman-had-shot-first/

I get even more uncomfortable when someone (whether it’s Richard Tillman or Bill Maher or Christopher Hitchens) feels compelled to grab a microphone and seek company for the possible misery of their own non-belief. If you choose not to believe in God, that’s fine with me. It’s your choice. But there are a lot of people out there, young and old and in between, who have yet to make a final decision, and I don’t like it when folks who have yet to complete their own spiritual journey — regardless of the destination — have their paths obscured by someone on television who is telling them that there is no God.

Does he get uncomfortable when someone on TV obscures a person's path by telling them there is a god, and what he wants from them?

mraynrand
01-18-2011, 05:38 PM
That comment is presumptuous, opinionated and limited, but it's not bigoted. I don't grudge people talking about their faith position, be it atheism, deism, or theism, but I pretty much dislike when it's laced with hatred, name calling and attempts to quiet or stifle other opinions (as the quote above suggests). I especially dislike it when Christians do it, because they should know better. I believe we all have a broken, sinful nature, so I expect this kind of thing from both sides. Still, prefer open discussion. Let the best argument win.

Joemailman
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Some comments from Andrew Brandt at National Football Post:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Andrews-answers-Tuesdays-mailbag-5325.html

What about the report on television in Green Bay showing Aaron walking past a woman -- a cancer survivor -- on the way to the team flight to Atlanta?

I've made that walk many times through fans at Austin-Straubel airport on the way to the team charter (and no, no one ever asked for my autograph). Sometimes players stop, sometimes they don't. Sometimes there are many fans; sometimes there are few. I don't know what happened with Aaron but I do know him -- from personal experience and reputation -- as someone who does a lot of good things far from the cameras.

Since that report, I've received dozens of emails from fans telling me of Aaron's kindness away from the media. Several messages mentioned a pre-Christmas gathering of 100 kids from the Boys & Girls club at a bowling alley with 15 Packer players; free soda, pizza and bowling; and a $100 gift certificate to Shopko for each kid. It received no publicity at the time and was completely funded by Rodgers.

I knew that during the season a couple of years ago, at eight o'clock on Saturday mornings, Aaron would be out at eight-year old flag football, warming up the kids with passes. And I knew he used to babysit for his neighbors' children to give them a night out on occasion. It is unfortunate he did no sign that woman's autograph. In the overall context of what I know, however, it's a minor hitch in a solid body of work with Packer nation, much of it while no one's looking.

Freak Out
01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
He just apologized.

RashanGary
01-18-2011, 08:07 PM
It was a good apology too. I think 90% of PFT readers check the site regularly so that apology will be enough. If Rodgers goes to the super bowl, this might turn into a positive. I think he's a rare superstar who's still down to earth and his good nature still shines through. I was disgusted when I read that original piece. He's a Viking fan so it makes the motivation seem obvious. He has to rip on the good thing we have going and wanted to believe AR was a jerk.

I'm glad he apologized but I never did trust that guy and I trust him even less now, apology and all.

Joemailman
01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Well done by Florio. Putting this issue, and error behind him is best for all concerned.

bobblehead
01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
i'm thinking she is trying to sell them on e-bay, or get them for other people. she's there all the time trying to get anyone to sign, and she just got a sig last week from a-rod, why does she need another if she isn't trying to sell them?

OK, lets not get carried away speculating just as wildly the other way. This is about Florio being an asshat without doing due diligence. The lady has come to defend Rodgers and seems pretty fair.

bobblehead
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
+1

Even more important than being 12h from the game, he is likely 2h from bed, and 6h after that from his next team meeting. Its not unreasonable for a guy to want to get home and get some shuteye....and in the context he is going to be short on sleep already 15-20 minutes seems bigger yet.

bobblehead
01-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Well done by Florio. Putting this issue, and error behind him is best for all concerned.

Ya think ARod will give him an interview after he wins the superbowl and game MVP? It would be a good PR move for him, and probably gain him a journalist fan for life. After all, the man owned up and finally apologized, so its on ARod to forgive and put it behind both of them.

HowardRoark
01-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Sorry if this has already been brought up….but why does it matter that she has or had or whatevered cancer? I am not minimizing cancer (my mother had it twice and if I live long enough, I (as all us will) will have prostate cancer, but what does that have to do with it at all? What about someone with a bad heart standing there? Or just getting over a bad cold……..

The question is whether or not an athlete should be expected to have to stop and sign autographs….or not.

Lurker64
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM
OK, lets not get carried away speculating just as wildly the other way. This is about Florio being an asshat without doing due diligence. The lady has come to defend Rodgers and seems pretty fair.

Though, to be honest, one of the reasons I read PFT is that Florio has no filter and very low standards. He's like the Matt Drudge of the football world. It's the exact opposite of ESPN, who will, for example, sit on a story for weeks or months because it may hurt their relationship with an athlete. It just sometimes results in him looking like an asshat.

mission
01-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Ya think ARod will give him an interview after he wins the superbowl and game MVP? It would be a good PR move for him, and probably gain him a journalist fan for life. After all, the man owned up and finally apologized, so its on ARod to forgive and put it behind both of them.

I was one to both rip on Florio (directly) and applaud his apology, but Rodgers doesn't owe Florio anything.

At the end of the day, Florio is a hack who happens to own a really good domain name and has published consistent content for years. NBC sees this, needs to make money from online advertising (doesn't have a large enough targeted presence of their own) and offers PFT a split for profits in exchange for NBC's ability to procure advertising on a larger scale. They decided they'd let him wear suits and act like a reporter for their little Sunday night shindig (because they had no one else) and now he feels like a big boy.

Truth is: he's pretty much a football idiot. I don't want AR to legitimize Florio more than he already has.

Nice apology but it should have came yesterday. PFT is what it is...

RashanGary
01-19-2011, 06:57 AM
I was one to both rip on Florio (directly) and applaud his apology, but Rodgers doesn't owe Florio anything.

At the end of the day, Florio is a hack who happens to own a really good domain name and has published consistent content for years. NBC sees this, needs to make money from online advertising (doesn't have a large enough targeted presence of their own) and offers PFT a split for profits in exchange for NBC's ability to procure advertising on a larger scale. They decided they'd let him wear suits and act like a reporter for their little Sunday night shindig (because they had no one else) and now he feels like a big boy.

Truth is: he's pretty much a football idiot. I don't want AR to legitimize Florio more than he already has.

Nice apology but it should have came yesterday. PFT is what it is...

Well said.

green_bowl_packer
01-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Florio is going to be on WSCR sports radio in Chicago coming up here in a bit. Sounds like they are going to grill him on this. Gonna back pedal big time. I'm feeling they'll turn it into "if this was Cutler forget about it - he's crucified" conversation. Should be interesting.

http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php?version=1.2.10624&station=391

They had on Antonio Freeman (when introduced he sang GO PACK GO) and Tom Silverstein (kind of a tool, Packer's win would ruin his life for 3 weeks), yesterday they had Wayne Larrivee he sounded pumped and ready for a Packer win.

gbgary
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
he applogizes...http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b7YHX

HowardRoark
01-23-2011, 08:40 AM
I know this is a dead issue, but I thought this was pretty good from Andrew Brandt this morning:

What about the report on television in Green Bay showing Aaron walking past a woman -- a cancer survivor -- on the way to the team flight to Atlanta?

I've made that walk many times through fans at Austin-Straubel airport on the way to the team charter (and no, no one ever asked for my autograph). Sometimes players stop, sometimes they don't. Sometimes there are many fans; sometimes there are few. I don't know what happened with Aaron but I do know him -- from personal experience and reputation -- as someone who does a lot of good things far from the cameras.

Since that report, I've received dozens of emails from fans telling me of Aaron's kindness away from the media. Several messages mentioned a pre-Christmas gathering of 100 kids from the Boys & Girls club at a bowling alley with 15 Packer players; free soda, pizza and bowling; and a $100 gift certificate to Shopko for each kid. It received no publicity at the time and was completely funded by Rodgers.

I knew that during the season a couple of years ago, at eight o'clock on Saturday mornings, Aaron would be out at eight-year old flag football, warming up the kids with passes. And I knew he used to babysit for his neighbors' children to give them a night out on occasion. It is unfortunate he did no sign that woman's autograph. In the overall context of what I know, however, it's a minor hitch in a solid body of work with Packer nation, much of it while no one's looking.

MJZiggy
01-23-2011, 10:16 AM
I know this is a dead issue, but I thought this was pretty good from Andrew Brandt this morning:
Dead issue, maybe, but nice to read nonetheless. Why do I doubt PFT would pick this bit up?