PDA

View Full Version : Why week one is so important.....

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 04:05 AM
The bears game is crucial for many reasons:

1. Defeat a hated rival that swept the Pack last season.

2. Take back home field advantage.

3. Get M3 his first W as a HC.

4. Be in first place in the division for the week (confidence).

5. Shut lovie the hell up!

All these things can propel the Pack to be a surprise team in 2006. Well a surprise to all the "experts" at least. If they can take down last season's NFC North champ then I say the Pack starts off 3-2 at the worse and maybe even 4-1. Look at the schedule, is there really any team that is unbeatable?

week 1 - bears -W
week 2 - saints - W
week 3 - lions - L
week 4 - eagles - could go either way
week 5 - rams - W

havanother
08-09-2006, 07:41 AM
2-3 with losses to the Saints, Rams and Eagles, but we will be 2-0 in our division.

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 07:42 AM
I can't argue with any of those numbered points, might I add

6. Put a chink in the GD Bears confidence making them an easier target for the second game later in the season.

7. Remind the rest of the conference that we're still here and they'd better be on their game when we come to town.

And how do you have the Lions beating us? I'd sooner expect to be beaten by the Saints (if Bush lasts 'til week 2--how is their o-line?)

TheRaven
08-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Week 1 is important to just about every team. Im surprised though that you have us losing to the Lions in Week 3.

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Week 1 is important to just about every team. Im surprised though that you have us losing to the Lions in Week 3.Because of who they play it is even more important to the Packer. Week 3 is @ detroit so losing there aint so far fetched.

TheRaven
08-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Week 1 is important to just about every team. Im surprised though that you have us losing to the Lions in Week 3.Because of who they play it is even more important to the Packer. Week 3 is @ detroit so losing there aint so far fetched.

I agree that it isn't far fetched. It isn't far fetched to lose to anyone to be honest with this team. But I still have a hard time imagining losing to the Lions. That's just my personal bias I am sure.

I don't think though that our game against the Bears is more important to us than some other team's first game. Everyone wants/needs to start off the season with a win. Doesn't matter who you are playing. I think it can make it more exciting for the fans, but for the teams themselves, its all the same opportunity to start off well.

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Also, a good smacking of the Bears w/ Favre throwing 4 TD's takes him a big step closer to breaking the all-time TD record. As much as he says he doesn't care about records, something like that has got to get the guy even more fired up.

Bretsky
08-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Most likely I'll be at that game trash talking the IL group wearning those d@m Urlacher jerseys. Every division game is huge; this one would be a nice tone setter for the season and probably means more to GB than Chicago in terms of morale and the future.

GB always sucks in Detroit so a loss there wouldn't surprise me. However, if we can't beat Detroit it'll be hard to beat more talented teams like St Louis or Philadelphia.

Badgepack
08-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Heck yeah beat the Bears in game # 1, get the cofidence going and ride the momentem to be the suprise team of the season. It happens to a team or two each season. Very important to get Favre and the youngsters thinking they are a playoff caliber team right from the start.

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Heck yeah beat the Bears in game # 1, get the cofidence going and ride the momentem to be the suprise team of the season. It happens to a team or two each season. Very important to get Favre and the youngsters thinking they are a playoff caliber team right from the start.

I agree. I'm tired of the slow starts over the past few seasons.

chewy-bacca
08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Beating the bears is big, esp. at home.

If its hot (like its been) do you think they might use the white jerseys? As far as I know home teams can pick. I think its a good idea to put the bears in black, and the saints too. I was in Miami a few years ago and they made the Pack use the green "home" colors and they got shut out in the 2nd half after leading the 1st. they all just melted in the Fla. sun. Just a thought.

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Heck yeah beat the Bears in game # 1, get the cofidence going and ride the momentem to be the suprise team of the season. It happens to a team or two each season. Very important to get Favre and the youngsters thinking they are a playoff caliber team right from the start.Thats what Im saying!!! KILL THE BEARS!!

Partial
08-09-2006, 09:37 AM
I predict week one they pound the ball 40 times at least. I don't think that will be the Brett Favre show as much as the show that we're gonna play smash mouth football show.

Plus, that is going to minimize turnovers against their ridiculous pass rush.

Run, run, run and a ton of bootlegs with a screen into the flat.

Astonishment
08-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I usually don't put alot of stake in one game, but I believe that this game will tell alot about the teams imediate future.

Partial
08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I usually don't put alot of stake in one game, but I believe that this game will tell alot about the teams imediate future.

Me too. A divisional win like that is going to be huge for momentum. I believe McCarthy came in and set that they intend to restore the lambeau field mystique. What a better way to show your players you mean business then coming in with a much better game plan and well-prepared team against the division champ in his first game at Lambeau.

With that said, as I mentioned above, the way they will beat the bears is commit to the run game as much as they ever have. They don't have the OL to stop their pass rush, especially if Cliffy is out, but i think with their running scheme they could have some success there.

I figured out last year about half way through the year the way to beat the bears is to be patient and play the field position game. Take the sack for example, rather than throwing the ball up for a turnover.

That game will be all about keeping the ball in their hands and grinding it out. The defense shouldn't have too many problems with their offense. Hell, I think they can force a few turnovers if they go after Grossmen with some serious pressure. I think they've got the horses in the secondary to go one on one man coverage for third down and bring some heat.

Packnut
08-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Living in Chicago, this game is HUGE for me. Last season I put up a Packer mailbox and some SOB ran it over with a car. I want REVENGE and the best revenge is winning.

Favre moved the bal llast season, just did'nt get in the end zone. That will change this time. Also, that Bear offense still does not scare me. If we can hold them to 14 or less, we will win the game.

Partial
08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Living in Chicago, this game is HUGE for me. Last season I put up a Packer mailbox and some SOB ran it over with a car. I want REVENGE and the best revenge is winning.

Favre moved the bal llast season, just did'nt get in the end zone. That will change this time. Also, that Bear offense still does not scare me. If we can hold them to 14 or less, we will win the game.

I agree, they're not going to put up a lot of offensive points. The key to beating the bears was not letting them score on defense and special teams. You do this by not trying to be a hero and sticking to a game plan until the end.

That really sucks about the mailbox man. Hopefully, we'll get the revenge you crave soon!!

Packnut
08-09-2006, 10:07 AM
As much as I defend Brett in the JS forum, this is 1 game where he need's to be conservative. Like you stated, ball security is the key to this game. It's crucial the Bears defense does not score. Their defense is very aggressive so ya gotta put screens and draws into your game plan.

Shutting down the Bears offense is simple. Double MM on passing downs and shut the run game down by bringing a saftey into the box.

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Last season I put up a Packer mailbox and some SOB ran it over with a car. I want REVENGE and the best revenge is winning.

Thats right! Win one for the mailbox dammit!!! :mrgreen:

Welcome to PR Packnut, save some of the bear-hatred for the season. Though Im sure there is always plenty to go around.

Tony Oday
08-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I disagree on Favre being conservative. I think that is the kind of game they want us to play against them. I say first play an all go route with Gardner, Driver and Jennings. Even if it doesnt work it will keep their Safties honest. If it does work we go up by 6 right away :)

RashanGary
08-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Bears 20 Packers 13

I can't picture us bridging the production gap in one off season. We have many promising rookies but they are just rookies and a rookie HC, DC, new offense and new ST.

Packers are a young up and coming team. The Bears are a team built for right now. I do think the Packers match up well against chicago with our big CB's, deep DL rotation in the run game and great OT's to nullify their great DE's but I'm not so sure it will be enough. It's going to come down to a few plays and I just don't see a team of 1/4 rookies in prominate roles overcoming a team with all 22 starters and a stable coaching situation. If the Packers win, I'll join the optimists for an 8-8 season. I highly doubt at this point that we pull this one out. Never know though, that's why their played on Sunday and I've watched Brett long enough to know you can never count him out, esspecially against Chicago.

Chicago gets the edge in in experience, coaching stability and game ready talent. I gotta go Chicago on this one although I would love to see McCarthy pick up a win in his first game. I would love to see Favre win one and put some of the whispers to rest. I would love to see Colledge and Spitz show they belong in thsi league and Hawk to force a fumble or get a sack but I just don't know it's going to happen right now, right out of the gates.

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 11:19 AM
On Sept.10,2006 .

The Green Bay Packers defeat the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field.

The score:

Packers 24 - Bears 16.

FAITH !!

Tony Oday
08-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Unlike Collins I thin kwe match up GREAT against the Bears. They cant pass against us in the least. Our corners and safties will shut them down. Their offense is run-run-run-run-run-incomplete pass-run ;) With Pickett and the depth we have at DT to keep guys healthy and Kamp on one end and the LB corp that we have that will be developed through camp we can shut them down. If I was MM I would play a 4-4 agains them having both Hodge and Barnett at MLB to stuff the run and have Collins and the Corners shut down their WR. If they cant run they lose.

Our running game should not be able to gain over 80 yards in my mind but with the heavy dose of running we will give them they will start putting 8 in the box and thats when DD gets single covered and I would take him one on one with almost anyone in the NFL.

In the end I think we dominate this game and beat the bears 17-3.

Partial
08-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I disagree on Favre being conservative. I think that is the kind of game they want us to play against them. I say first play an all go route with Gardner, Driver and Jennings. Even if it doesnt work it will keep their Safties honest. If it does work we go up by 6 right away :)

See, but there pass rush is so good he's bound to throw at least one pick. The bears O might score 2 TDs. They won't get much more than that. Their D and special teams cannot put up points though, or we will lose.

Packnut
08-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Last season I put up a Packer mailbox and some SOB ran it over with a car. I want REVENGE and the best revenge is winning.

Thats right! Win one for the mailbox dammit!!! :mrgreen:

Welcome to PR Packnut, save some of the bear-hatred for the season. Though Im sure there is always plenty to go around.

Living in Chicago all my life has filled me up with enough Bear hatred to last a lifetime! When Brett was Bitc$ slapping them every season, they were as quiet as little mouses. One winning season and just like roaches, they are coming out of the woodwork.

RashanGary
08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Tony,

Did you read what I wrote? I said we match up great against Chicago but it won't be enough because they're just better right now. We'll play that game closer than it really is because of the match-up but I can't put my money on GB in this one. That would be a bad bet because of our inexperience and unproven roster/coaching staff. Chicago on the other hand is a proven winner and has all their talent back.

Badgepack
08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Bears 20 Packers 13

And you call yourself a Packer fan :D

Tony Oday
08-09-2006, 11:52 AM
son of a I thought you said we dont match up! lol so that post made no sense. Dang baby keeping me up all night!

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Tony Oday, has me back on "the path of FAITH", and the Favre Factor will play to us in this contest.

Bank on that GregJennings. It's what OUR TC must be ALL about.

To defeat the Bears in game one. We will defeat the Chicago Bears in that very important game.

HOLD THE FAITH - PACKERS in 2006 !

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM

Hey, Packnut, where exactly do you live? I live just east of the Illinois border, Highland, Indiana (it's friggin' Bear's country here too, I raz them all the time as to why they're not Colts fans and call them traitors). I live 30 minutes from Chicago.

Just an FYI, I was born and raised in Beloit, WI, fifteen miles from Janesville, WI where they have that huge sign that says "Trade Brett" and nobody knows who, why, or what about it. It has been vandalized, however. :mrgreen:

Packnut
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM

Hey, Packnut, where exactly do you live? I live just east of the Illinois border, Highland, Indiana (it's friggin' Bear's country here too, I raz them all the time as to why they're not Colts fans and call them traitors). I live 30 minutes from Chicago.

Just an FYI, I was born and raised in Beloit, WI, fifteen miles from Janesville, WI where they have that huge sign that says "Trade Brett" and nobody knows who, why, or what about it. It has been vandalized, however. :mrgreen:

Not to far from you. I live in Oak Lawn, right off 294 and 95th st

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Nice to have another Packer fan out here. I agree with you, these Bears fans came out of the woodwork last year. It was like they weren't even football fans the past 7 years, when we were kicking the shit out of them. I keep reminding them of this, but it doesn't do much good. If the Bears win opening day, my phone will definitely be turned off!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
People are really under estimating our defense. I think the D is really going to be good, and with Brett on the other side we will win.

BallHawk
08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Packers 24, Bears 21. Billy Cundiff hits the game-winning field goal as time expires.

Packnut
08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
People are really under estimating our defense. I think the D is really going to be good, and with Brett on the other side we will win.

I agree. I think for the 1st time in quite a while, our D will carry us. Our secondary will be in the top 5 before it's all said and done.

Partial
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM

I agree. I think for the 1st time in quite a while, our D will carry us. Our secondary will be in the top 5 before it's all said and done.

Not that I truly believe they were number 1, but I do expect them to statistically be worse against the pass this year :lol: :lol:

Packnut
08-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Teams ran on us so much, they did'nt have to throw. LOL!

havanother
08-09-2006, 06:51 PM
With Favre's int. issues last year, the game should be played within twenty yards, a lot of play action and go deep only on a Fire route when they blitz.