PDA

View Full Version : RANDOM THOUGHTS FROM A GREAT PLAYOFF WEEKEND--ADD YOUR OWN

Bretsky
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
The Seattle Seahawks are what we thought they were; a sad excuse for a playoff team

The Bears are still better than we thought they were; Jay Cutler continues to impress and Mike Tice has done wonders with that OL. And why does anybody give Hester a chance to beat them ???

Wonder if it's the first time in history a team makes a league championship w/o playing a team over .500 ??? Anybody ??

I wish Baltimore would have won; Flacco seemed lost in the second half. Terrell Suggs is a jerk but very good.
Inexcusable to bench a playmaker in Rice for any time after a fumble. How'd that work for them ??

Pittsburge is very dangerous. Their offense is explosive enough to score on anybody and their D is tough as nails.
Big Ben is hard to bring down and this team can matchup with any team left
Go Jets

Rex Ryan devised a great game plan to not allow Brady to get in rhythym; I wonder if he could do the same to Rodgers
I do think our WR's are much better than the Patriots so it would be harder
The Jets Defense is still a very talented unit; I lack faith in their offense though against a talented defense.

The Patriots are a solid but not great team; if you believe in Cliff Cristl's playmaker theory you could predict a playoff loss. They have one.
That defense is very young and not good enough; did they even hit Sanchez that game ?

Hoody did a great job getting them to 14-2 but talent took over.
Once again, they go into the draft with two 1st's, two 2nd's, and two 3rd's so they will at least be good for a while.

Playing at home probably hurt Atlanta's chances to win. They would have been better off playing at Lambeau
The Packers offense is built for a dome and we would crush the Bears if we played them in good conditions

Some bad weather and sloppy playing conditions, including wind, will give the Bears a better chance next weekend
Anybody who thinks this is a sure thing should consider how well NE was playing, the fact that they kicked the Jets assess just a few weeks ago, and then got bounced

Joemailman
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Hoody had a bad game. He benched his best receiver at the start of the game for comments made during the week, thus quite possibly creating a distraction for his QB at the start of the game. He foolishly went or a fake punt in his own end of the field, giving the Jets a pivotal TD right before halftime. His offense wasted a lot of time in the 4th quarter while behind. It seems that even a future HOF coach with a future HOF QB can have a bad day. People might want to remember that the next time "Stubby" loses a game.

Steelers/Jets. Packers/Bears. Probably a good thing there are 2 weeks between this Sunday and the Super Bowl. The winners may need some time to heal up.

The Bears ability to strip the ball makes me nervous. Packer receivers and running backs need to cover up the ball once contact is imminent.

Patler
01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Many of us have criticized how the Bears got were they did. Lots of breaks right from the first game with the Lions and a touchdown not being a touchdown. Everything did fall the Bears way, it seems.

BUT...the Packers have the chance to end that string of good fortune for the Bears. If the Packers don't and the Bears win, no Packer fan will have a legitimate basis for disparaging the Bears trip to the Super Bowl. That will be a good thing.

MadtownPacker
01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
BUT...the Packers have the chance to end that string of good fortune for the Bears. If the Packers don't and the Bears win, no Packer fan will have a legitimate basis for disparaging the Bears trip to the Super Bowl. That will be a good thing.Fuck no it wont be a "good thing". Who the hell are you suppose to be, the Martha Stewart of football? :lol:

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Hoody had a bad game. He benched his best receiver at the start of the game for comments made during the week, thus quite possibly creating a distraction for his QB at the start of the game. He foolishly went or a fake punt in his own end of the field, giving the Jets a pivotal TD right before halftime. His offense wasted a lot of time in the 4th quarter while behind. It seems that even a future HOF coach with a future HOF QB can have a bad day. People might want to remember that the next time "Stubby" loses a game.

Steelers/Jets. Packers/Bears. Probably a good thing there are 2 weeks between this Sunday and the Super Bowl. The winners may need some time to heal up.

The Bears ability to strip the ball makes me nervous. Packer receivers and running backs need to cover up the ball once contact is imminent.

The Eywa spirit of Hoody has passed into the roomy body of the Stubster. :smile:

rbaloha1
01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Packers are playing fast and loose with much energy. Confident team expecting to win.

Bears are peaking. Cutler's lack of mistakes also make the Bears tough to beat.

AtlPackFan
01-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Playing at home probably hurt Atlanta's chances to win. They would have been better off playing at Lambeau
The Packers offense is built for a dome and we would crush the Bears if we played them in good conditions

Some bad weather and sloppy playing conditions, including wind, will give the Bears a better chance next weekend
Anybody who thinks this is a sure thing should consider how well NE was playing, the fact that they kicked the Jets assess just a few weeks ago, and then got bounced

This is what I was thinking. How did the Green Bay Packers morph into a dome team?

AtlPackFan
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Packers special teams make me nervous.

Fritz
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I think the biggest matchup is the Packer offensive line versus the Bears defensive line. I think for the Pack to win, they've got to clear some kind of room for Starks/Jackson/Kuhn to run and they've got to keep Arod on his feet. And that won't be easy. If the Bears can get pressure with the front four and close down the run game, the Pack is in trouble.

Guiness
01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I think the biggest matchup is the Packer offensive line versus the Bears defensive line. I think for the Pack to win, they've got to clear some kind of room for Starks/Jackson/Kuhn to run and they've got to keep Arod on his feet. And that won't be easy. If the Bears can get pressure with the front four and close down the run game, the Pack is in trouble.

Agreed.

While I think Chicago only has one legit corner, we didn't exactly light them up a few weeks ago.

vince
01-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Running yards will probably be hard to come by, although they should be able to keep Rodgers on his feet.

Tony Oday
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Did ANYONE watch the game with the Bears and Seachickens? Cutler had at a minimum of three ints dropped one in the redzone. They beat up on a crappy team whoopdy freaking do we whooped up on a team that was 20-2 at home...20 and freaking 2!!!! We went in with guns blazing and messed them up like the Earps messed up the Clantons. Hester is the only thing that can do any damage to us. Clifton will ground pepper into dust and AR LOVES getting blitzed...their secondary has nothing on us. Game over folks. Pack fans write your thank you cards to Jerry Jones for building such a nice house for us to play the Super Bowl :)

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 01:09 PM
So do we want a Lambeau Dome? :wink:

Freak Out
01-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Packers are playing fast and loose with much energy. Confident team expecting to win.

Bears are peaking. Cutler's lack of mistakes also make the Bears tough to beat.

Cutlet is very lucky he didn't have 4-5 picks against Seattle....he threw a bunch of balls right to Seattle defenders.....they dropped them all.

mmmdk
01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Cutlet is very lucky he didn't have 4-5 picks against Seattle....he threw a bunch of balls right to Seattle defenders.....they dropped them all.

Be nice - have you ever tried catching pigskin with bird wings!?

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
"Rex Ryan devised a great game plan to not allow Brady to get in rhythym; I wonder if he could do the same to Rodgers"

He already did.

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM

None bigger than the drop at 7-0. That thing could have been a Pick six and evened up the game. Now don't freak out, I still think Chicago wins, but perhaps it would have been good to get into Cutler's head........wait...nevermind.....I forgot that Cutler can throw 5 awful picks and still remain perfectly confident. How about this? The worm has to turn - those 5 dropped INTs will be caught this Sunday!

packers11
01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I would rather have the Jets than the Steelers go to the Super Bowl... Mark Sanchez played like horse shit the first time we saw him, he played like shit last night... I am not scared of the Jets offense at all... Big Ben on the other hand scares the hell out of me... Remember when we played him last year??? I don't want to see a shoot out again

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Many of us have criticized how the Bears got were they did. Lots of breaks right from the first game with the Lions and a touchdown not being a touchdown. Everything did fall the Bears way, it seems.

BUT...the Packers have the chance to end that string of good fortune for the Bears. If the Packers don't and the Bears win, no Packer fan will have a legitimate basis for disparaging the Bears trip to the Super Bowl. That will be a good thing.

There are always the Refs to blame.

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
I would rather have the Jets than the Steelers go to the Super Bowl... Mark Sanchez played like horse shit the first time we saw him, he played like shit last night... I am not scared of the Jets offense at all... Big Ben on the other hand scares the hell out of me... Remember when we played him last year??? I don't want to see a shoot out again

I don't like the idea of facing Lebeau

http://www.hogansheroesfanclub.com/images/photoLouisLebeau.gif

Bretsky
01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Greg Jennings just called Soldier Field the worst playing surface in all of the league; interesting

OS PA
01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
My random thought from the great playoff weekend: The Packers playoff beards are great.

denverYooper
01-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Greg Jennings just called Soldier Field the worst playing surface in all of the league; interesting

NFL is checking out the field this week.

denverYooper
01-17-2011, 02:17 PM
I liked seeing Tausch on the sideline Saturday night supporting his guys.

Guiness
01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
NFL is checking out the field this week.

For what purpose? What are they going to do/what can they do if it's horrible?

They let the Vikings play at a stadium which, by all accounts, was atrocious. I can't see them doing anything about Chicago, other than making them tarp it.

denverYooper
01-17-2011, 02:32 PM

They let the Vikings play at a stadium which, by all accounts, was atrocious. I can't see them doing anything about Chicago, other than making them tarp it.

They probably had to after 2 Seahawks got taken off on backboards.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Random weekend thoughts

Deep fried cheese curds are great for football games, especially when your wife makes them for you.
Whiskey and coke is better than rum and coke.
Joe Buck was kinda funny in the pregame with the noise comments. That might have been the whiskey though.
Bellichek just needs to lose the hoodie already.
Pats need a big, fast WR that can go deep. Too many JAGs outside of Welker.
The Vito sub from Jimmy John's is delicious.

gbgary
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
my new (x-mas present) directv Packers remote is 3-0. http://www.directv.com/cms2/equipment/remotes/nfl/previews/GreenBay_Packers.jpg i only use it during the game. number of championships on the back is wrong though.

pbmax
01-17-2011, 02:48 PM

I have a hard time believing that was anything other than deliberate. I think he was hiding his Defense as Sanchez started to figure them out. He wanted a 3 possession game. They score on the long drive, somehow stop the Jets once and then a more traditional 2 minute drive. Look at what they did in the last drive of the game. Of course, by then, the Jets were in prevent.

swede
01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
number of championships on the back is wrong though.

It may be more wrong in three weeks.

Pugger
01-17-2011, 03:34 PM

I doubt he'd get an argument from the bares. On another forum a bare fan admitted Soldier Field's "grass" is horrendous right now.

Pugger
01-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Didn't the NFL resod Lambeau before the NFC Champ game against Carolina back in 1996/7?

denverYooper
01-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Green Bay has made some early mistakes in the past few games -- Underwood + fumbles in Philly, Jennings fumble, Weems KOR -- but their offense and defense haven't panicked and they overcame early errors both times. I would have thought such mistakes would kill them in the playoffs but they shook them off and have outplayed the other teams otherwise.

mraynrand
01-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Didn't the NFL resod Lambeau before the NFC Champ game against Carolina back in 1996/7?

Somebody did - it was all new and perfect - perfect for an endzone bomb to Dorsey Levens!

Guiness
01-17-2011, 03:41 PM

I can't see them being able to re-sod now, it would just tear up.

swede
01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
They use custom cut sod---huge thick rolls.

I doubt the Bears will allow it. They want bad conditions and a muddy track.

mission
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
I read something on twitter that the NFL has some sort of authority when it comes to championship games and turf conditions. I guess they made us change our turf (before some game in a similar situation and i don't remember which) before.

MJZiggy
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Random thoughts: 1. (for my Ravens-fan man) Flacco sucks and needs to go. Preferably to the Bears or Vikings where he can only help the Packers' cause. 2. I'm glad the Pats didn't win--hope the jets win this week too because I hate the idea of Rapistburger going to another SB. (on to the important stuff) 3. The Packers were firing on all cylinders (sorry for the cliche) and I hope there's not letup this week. Everything was, as Rodgers put it, special. Let's all hope they can make special routine for a few weeks. 4. The Bears were trying to beat us the last week of the season. They couldn't. I'm not saying they're not dangerous, but I am saying that the task at hand is not impossible. The teams know each other extremely well and I think this will be another low-scoring battle to the end. 5. Hopefully Peppers tries Aaron's belt move, though I think the whole league probably learned their lesson from the Falcons. 6. After the win, I glanced at my man's computer and his outgoing IM message was "Go Pack Go!" meaning...7. My boyfriend is awesome.

gbgary
01-17-2011, 03:46 PM
It may be more wrong in three weeks.

;) hope so!

mission
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM

oops completely missed this pugger!!

Noodle
01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
My random thoughts:

1. Bad footing should favor receivers, who know where they are going, over DBs, who have to react. So Jennings should be licking his chops.

2. I fear Olson. Not happy that he and Cutler seem to have something going. I hope we always line up with someone over him to chip him and disrupt his routes. If he gets to run free, long day for the Pack.

3. This is EPIC! Getting to play the Bears to see who goes to the SB couldn't have worked out better!

Tony Oday
01-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Hawk will bitch slap half of the Olsen twins! :)

Bretsky
01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm worried about Olsen too; he's a solid WR TE who runs patterns well. I don't think much of the Bear WR's.

Cutler kind of still reminds me of Favre; he seems to always hang one or two balls up there that can get picked off but often teams drop those

We need to take advantage of the one or two we see

and, don't let Hester beat us again

gbgary
01-17-2011, 06:41 PM
since cutler is a "pick & stick" qb (picks out a guy and throws to him...per trent dilfer) and doesn't do well with timing passes (per kurt warner...that's what they changed in the chicago o scheme during their bye) makes me think tight coverage will make him hold the ball longer (for a sack) and/or force a throw (for an int).

pbmax
01-17-2011, 06:52 PM
They use custom cut sod---huge thick rolls.

I doubt the Bears will allow it. They want bad conditions and a muddy track.

I read something on twitter that the NFL has some sort of authority when it comes to championship games and turf conditions. I guess they made us change our turf (before some game in a similar situation and i don't remember which) before.

Yes, the NFL is in charge of the field, not the Bears. And I think the Bears play on a hybrid surface like the Packers, don't they?

So if they did decide to resod, they would have to roll it over the current surface like carpet over wood floors. Everyone would immediately be taller than those on the sidelines. Like Williams Arena.

Joemailman
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
MM calls on Woodson again in postgame speech:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/McCarthys-Divisional-Playoff-Speech-at-Falcons/2638afe3-350c-415b-866b-7350bd76e4dc