PDA

View Full Version : SOLDIER CRAP FIELD....NICE ANALYSIS

Bretsky
01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5338&section_id=40&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Slip slidin' away: Packers prep for Soldier Field's worst

By JASON WILDE
jwilde@espnwisconsin.com
GREEN BAY – While his teammates were considerably more kind in their assessments of Soldier Field’s turf, Greg Jennings did not mince words, calling the playing surface “probably the worst in the league.”

“You have to go out before the game, pregame, and kind of get a feel of what you're working with, what you're dealing with, get your footing, because that's going to play a huge, huge role in the game,” the Green Bay Packers wide receiver said Monday, as the Packers (12-6) prepared for Sunday’s NFC Championship Game against the Chicago Bears (12-5) at Soldier Field. “But you can't allow that to affect the way you play. The grass, the surface, how hard it is, how soft it is, what have you, it plays only so much into the game if you allow it to.”

It certainly factored into the Bears’ 35-24 victory Sunday over the Seattle Seahawks, who saw tight end John Carlson suffer a concussion when he hit his head on the hard turf on the sideline. Meanwhile, players had a multitude of problems slipping and sliding on the field throughout the game, even after the mid-game snow shower abated.

Jennings isn’t the only one who feels that way, although the other three Packers players to take the podium Monday – linebacker A.J. Hawk, cornerback Tramon Williams and center Scott Wells – weren’t nearly as outspoken.

“The field, you never know what you're going to get,” Hawk said. “The weather will obviously have a little bit of an impact on it. But it's something we've been there a number of times, I think most of the guys on this team, that we'll figure out that both teams are playing on the same field. It's not like anyone is going to have an advantage.”

Added Williams: “Chicago’s field has always been like that. So it's nothing different. It's something that we're prepared for. And you just (have to) have the right cleats or whatever. It shouldn't really be a problem.”

Those assessments were considerably kinder than those offered by the Bears.

"The footing at Soldier Field has been horrible," Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher said in early December. "We've all seen that. You watch us on film. Our D-line slipped. It's hard. We're a fast team. I think when you get us on a (Soldier Field) surface like that, it kind of takes a little bit of our speed. Health-wise, I think we're OK. We're playing fast from that aspect. It's just that the field has been so bad that we haven't been able to do what we normally do.

"(Opposing teams) are playing on the same thing we're playing on, so it goes both ways. But, we're not able to use our speed like we like to. Our corners are slipping when they are coming out of breaks. Our D-linemen are slipping (while) pushing off the ground. But (opposing teams) are doing the same thing. I guess it goes both ways."

After Sunday’s win over the Seahawks, Urlacher said, “Both teams have to play on it. It stinks for both teams. I think it’s the same way in Pittsburgh, that field is not that great either. Both teams have to play on it. Our receivers have to deal with it, our DBs, just like they do. It goes both ways. It wasn’t bad today.”

According to a league spokesman, the NFL will review field conditions throughout the week. The league will be in control of the field conditions, but will work closely with the stadium field manager because he knows the field the best. If the NFL determines that action needs to be taken – such as re-sodding the field – it will take those steps. The league will make the final decision on what needs to be done to make the field as playable as possible.

“They change (the sod) out a lot,” Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said. “Any time you’re going to change out the field in freezing temperatures, I’m not sure it’s going to really take hold. It’s going to be thick, and it’s going to come up a little bit and it’s going to be soft in spots.”

In 2008, the last time the NFL Players Association conducted its Playing Surfaces Opinion Survey, Soldier Field was rated the fourth-worst grass playing field in the NFL, ahead of only Pittsburgh, Oakland and Miami. According to the Chicago Tribune, it was Bears players who rated it as the worst in the league,

In response to Bears players’ criticism of the surface, Soldier Field general manager Tim LeFevour held a press conference last month in which he said the field, which is one of only six natural grass fields in the NFL in a northern climate, is “one of the best” in the league. LeFevour said the playing surface was re-sodded the first week in December. The Park District pays for the re-sodding, spending $400,000 to $500,000 annually for the new turf.

"It's unfortunate," LeFevour said. "You hate to hear comments like (the players’) because there's a strong commitment by the city, the Chicago Park District, the management here at Soldier Field to keep this as one of the best fields in the NFL.”

Packers coach Mike McCarthy, speaking later in the afternoon Monday, did his best to make the field conditions a non-story but acknowledged that he was aware of players’ complaints.

“We're not going to concern ourselves with the turf. It's something you go with every week, every game you play in particularly on the road. You go out (onto the field) early. You make sure you've got the right, proper shoes on,” said McCarthy, whose team will practice outside on Thursday for 11-on-11 periods and work with the doors to the Don Hutson Center open all week.

“Just going off what I read in the papers, I know some of the Bears players commented on the field condition a few weeks back, reading that in the clips. I know Seattle felt it wasn't in great shape either. (but) both teams play on it. I really don't think it's a big deal, frankly. I'm sure they'll get it in the best shape they possibly can, and we're going to go out there and play football.”

red
01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
they are more of a grind it out, mudder of a team, we're more of a finesse, speed team

it would give them a huge advantage to turn their field into a big pile of shit

Lurker64
01-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Someone needs to make sure that they don't just leave the hose on overnight on Saturday.

Guiness
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Sure, no one's happy with it, but I'll take it over some carpet stretched over concrete.

Joemailman
01-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Packers have played there late in the season the last 5 years, and I'm sure the field was in lousy shape then too. It always is by December. It may have bothered Seattle because they don't play there regularly, but I don't think it will be a big factor Sunday.

Packgator
01-18-2011, 12:10 AM
they are more of a grind it out, mudder of a team, we're more of a finesse, speed team

That's the perception but Urlacher seems to think otherwise...... "We're a fast team. I think when you get us on a (Soldier Field) surface like that, it kind of takes a little bit of our speed."

Pugger
01-18-2011, 01:40 AM
I heard a Chicago player - but I can't remember who at the moment - give Lambeau's turf props the other day. I'm gonna assume the artificial threads sown in makes a big difference in Dec. and Jan.

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 01:11 PM
That's the perception but Urlacher seems to think otherwise...... "We're a fast team. I think when you get us on a (Soldier Field) surface like that, it kind of takes a little bit of our speed."

Matt Bowen at NFP agrees (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Does-the-Soldier-Field-turf-give-the-Bears-an-advantage.html):

General opinion is that this gives the Bears an advantage in the NFC Championship game vs. the Packers. A sloppy field vs. a group of playmakers on the Green Bay offense. Think of a double-move, breaking inside on the deep dig route (square in) or even running a simple 3-step slant route. Need your cleats in the ground to do that.

However, it goes both ways. Think of the Bears—and the style of football that they play. Fast on defense, drop to a landmark in Cover 2 and break downhill on the ball. On offense, in Mike Martz’s system, there are multiple-breaking routes that require a WR to plant that outside foot and get up the field.

Jimx29
01-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Heard some sports talking head tonight say that it looks like a freshly cut hay field. He didn't mention though if the hay had been baled.

swede
01-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Make absolutely sure that Hester goes sideways on that field. We can't let him get a head of steam and bust straight down the middle. It would be difficult for our defenders to be able to stop and cut back to a good tackling angle.

MichiganPackerFan
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM

I've heard the bears players hate it too. I think the NFL should take a hard look at this and enforce some maintenance, not because of competition reasons, but because of the increased likelihood of causing severe injury. Of course they should first promote the 18 game season.