PDA

View Full Version : Key to Bears game this Sunday

Spaulding
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
If you had to pick one key on defense and one on offense, what would it be?

I think the key defensively is stopping Forte both on the run and the dump off screens or swing passes. He gashed us underneath quite a bit and kept some drives going. Hopefully the Pack can get away with minimal blitzing with Matthews, Raji, and Jenkins producing pressure out of base defense and using the blitzing only on certain down/distances. Otherwise I think Forte gets free for some big plays.

I think the key on offense is the WR's consistency. Late in the season they seemed to have problems with concentration but against Atlanta they were lights out. Barring the WR's with another case of the dropsies, I'd think we put up at least 20 which should be enough to win barring massive special teams breakdowns or a slew of turnovers.

Freak Out
01-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Stopping Forte would be the key on D one would think.....no drops and no TO's on offense. The Bears will probably be able to stuff the run but you have to keep them honest and keep trying....to a certain extent.

I hope the weather is ok (not windy)....if it comes down to a slugfest I don't like the odds.

Packers4Glory
01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
The key is going to be special teams. Its the only area chicago has a huge advantage. chicago has won a lot of games this yr playing excellent ST and playing the field position game. How we handle KO's and punts is going to be the most important aspect of sundays game. we can't give up big return yards, however we can't be getting cute on kick offs and handing them the ball on the 40 each time either.

mraynrand
01-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Trenches. It always comes down to the trenches. You win that battle on Defense and Forte won't gash you and Cutler will throw picks. You win on offense and Rodgers will slice their secondary to ribbons. Packers will struggle against the Chicago D line. they have to win enough to score a few TDs. on the other side, the Packer should be able to control the line, but Chicago will challenge them to stand up to a heavy dose of runs at Walden. If the Packers don't shut that down reasonably well, Cutler will hurt them with play action because they have some speed at skill positions - Knox and Hester can get open across the middle, and Olsen will get open versus Collins or Peprah if Cutler has too much time, because they will have to cover the entire field due to the strength of Cutler's arm.

Guiness
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
I think the Clifton vs Peppers matchup is going to be an important one - need to keep him off of Rodgers, and out of the backfield in general. I wonder if Crabtree will get some quality time chipping him?

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Fun fact, the last 4 teams to get a KOR TD in the playoffs have gone on to lose. Not since 2001 has a team with a KOR TD won, and their opponent in that game scored on a KO also...

1 ATL 2010 2011-01-15 GNB 19 17 Sat L 21-48 1 0 0 0
2 CHI 2006 2007-02-04 N IND 0 19 Sun L 17-29 1 0 0 0
3 DAL 2006 2007-01-06 SEA 0 17 Sat L 20-21 1 0 0 0
4 KAN 2003 2004-01-11 IND 0 17 Sun L 31-38 1 0 0 0
5 NYG 2000 2001-01-28 N BAL 0 19 Sun L 7-34 1 0 0 0
6 BAL 2000 2001-01-28 N NYG 0 20 Sun W 34-7 1 0 1 0
7 NYG 2000 2001-01-07 PHI 0 17 Sun W 20-10 1 0 1 0

VermontPackFan
01-18-2011, 01:48 PM
If you had to pick one key on defense and one on offense, what would it be?

I agree with others that keeping Hester in check will be a key to winning this game and also winning the battles on the OL & DL. If I had to narrow it down and get specific, my single key would be forcing the Chicago D to rush more than 4 to create pressure on ARod. If we can contain Peppers and company and force them to bring 5 or 6 on blitzes to create pressure, ARod will carve their secondary up.

Next stop, Dallas, TX...

Packers4Glory
01-18-2011, 02:54 PM
over under 2 penalties on Clifton for lining up too far off the line of scrimmage?

RashanGary
01-18-2011, 03:56 PM
A clean game. That means at least tie the turn over battle, keep penalties down and don't get destroyed on ST's.

Offense and defense, I think we're taking the superior team to Chicago. It's no dome, but the conditions look adequate for passing the football. They will score less on our defense than we do on theirs. If we can play a clean game, we will win.

McCarthy has the right approach. I've listened to every MM press conference in the last 4 or 5 years. I've never heard him so committed to just doing what they do. He said Chicago knows what we do. We know what they do. It's going to come down to the players on the field. My biggest complaint with McCarthy is his tendency to get cute. Well, he doesn't sound like a guy with even the slightest urge to get cute against the Bears. I think that bodes well for the Pack.

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Bears are doomed:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2011/0124_large.jpg

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Remember this?

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/fa/favresicover/favresicover_story1.jpg

That didn't turn out so well...

Getting the #2 seed and first round bye? Check
Playing Seattle in the Divisional Round and rolling? Check
Snowy SI cover? Check
Playing the #6 seed at home for the Halas Trophy? ...

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Turnovers and not losing the game on STs.

Joemailman
01-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Offensively the key is securing the ball. Bears are the 2nd best team in the NFL at forcing fumbles. Packers WR's had a lost fumble in each game with the Bears this year. In addition, Jennings lost one last week.

Defensively the key is stopping Forte on 1st down. The more the Packers can line up in in their nickel and dime packages, the more dangerous Woodson is.

Little Whiskey
01-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Nice!

Little Whiskey
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Remember this?

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/fa/favresicover/favresicover_story1.jpg

Snowy SI cover? Check

nice!

Smidgeon
01-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Remember this?

Snowy SI cover? Check

Well, techinically the Giants were the #5 seed...

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Well, techinically the Giants were the #5 seed...

Oops. I should have said "Playing a 10-6 wildcard team at home for the Halas Trophy". I'd go back and fix it but don't have the option to edit that post now.

swede
01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
NSW NSW NSW

I'll TELL YOU THE KEY TO THE GAME!

GREG JENNINGS HAS GOTS TO SCORE EVEN IF HE HAS TO HOLD HIS SH*T BECAUSE HE HAS A BROKEN LEG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU

mmmdk
01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Key to winning?

The country is full of good coaches. What it takes to win is a bunch of interested players. -Don Coryell, ex-San Diego Chargers Coach

RashanGary
01-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Offensively the key is securing the ball. Bears are the 2nd best team in the NFL at forcing fumbles. Packers WR's had a lost fumble in each game with the Bears this year. In addition, Jennings lost one last week.

Defensively the key is stopping Forte on 1st down. The more the Packers can line up in in their nickel and dime packages, the more dangerous Woodson is.

I like this.

Joemailman
01-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Interesting story and stats about how much more effective Arod is in games when Jones and Nelson are involved in the offense, and especially when one of them scores a TD.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/championship-sunday/story/secret-weapons-jones-nelson-make-packers-a-scary-thing

Bretsky
01-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Don't lose the game on special teams
Don't turn the ball over

OS PA
01-18-2011, 10:49 PM
The key to the Bears game this Sunday is winning the Bears game this Sunday.

BobDobbs
01-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Fun fact, the last 4 teams to get a KOR TD in the playoffs have gone on to lose. Not since 2001 has a team with a KOR TD won, and their opponent in that game scored on a KO also...

1 ATL 2010 2011-01-15 GNB 19 17 Sat L 21-48 1 0 0 0
2 CHI 2006 2007-02-04 N IND 0 19 Sun L 17-29 1 0 0 0
3 DAL 2006 2007-01-06 SEA 0 17 Sat L 20-21 1 0 0 0
4 KAN 2003 2004-01-11 IND 0 17 Sun L 31-38 1 0 0 0
5 NYG 2000 2001-01-28 N BAL 0 19 Sun L 7-34 1 0 0 0
6 BAL 2000 2001-01-28 N NYG 0 20 Sun W 34-7 1 0 1 0
7 NYG 2000 2001-01-07 PHI 0 17 Sun W 20-10 1 0 1 0

So we should probably defer if we win the toss and then let them score off the opening kickoff and the game is basically over.

That's a weird stat. But honestly its hard for me to think this is going to be a high scoring game with how good the defenses are. They've got a better running game and running defense. We have a better passing game and passing defense. It's not like its going to -40 wind chill with 40 mph winds, its going to be in the human range. Our quarterback is better than theirs. There's the advantage.

The difference in the game is turnovers. Each team excels at taking it away and each offense has had streaks of giving the ball away too often. And I think every fumble that James Jones has lost in his career has been against the Bears, that's scary.

I know its almost not worth typing because its the biggest cliche in football, but whoever wins the turnover battle wins the game.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Don't lose the game on special teams
Don't turn the ball over

I think somebody already posted this. :)

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 01:10 AM
we should probably defer if we win the toss.

Absolutely agree with this. Even without that rather odd stat, given the way our season has played out I want my defense on the field first to set the tone.

Tarlam!
01-19-2011, 05:25 AM
The key to the Bears game this Sunday is winning the Bears game this Sunday.

Yah but, the strategy has to be to score more points than they do. Otherwise, it's a loss no matter how you look at it.

RashanGary
01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
I think somebody already posted this. :)

I kinda beat ya both to it. I said TO's, ST's and penalties.

OS PA
01-19-2011, 06:52 AM
... I guess the key to this game is not letting Terry McAuley assfuck us.

Fritz
01-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Trenches. It always comes down to the trenches. You win that battle on Defense and Forte won't gash you and Cutler will throw picks. You win on offense and Rodgers will slice their secondary to ribbons. Packers will struggle against the Chicago D line. they have to win enough to score a few TDs. on the other side, the Packer should be able to control the line, but Chicago will challenge them to stand up to a heavy dose of runs at Walden. If the Packers don't shut that down reasonably well, Cutler will hurt them with play action because they have some speed at skill positions - Knox and Hester can get open across the middle, and Olsen will get open versus Collins or Peprah if Cutler has too much time, because they will have to cover the entire field due to the strength of Cutler's arm.

What he said.

OS PA
01-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Two players that will play a huge role in winning Sunday: Cullen Jenkins and Bryan Bulaga.

vince
01-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I kinda beat ya both to it. I said TO's, ST's and penalties.
No offense, but it's not exactly earthshattering stuff guys.

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 08:16 AM

Asswipe. (Pronounced Ashweepay) Here's my incredibly cogent and relevant insight key to victory: Score more points!

3irty1
01-19-2011, 09:35 AM
The key on offense is going to be James Starks. The Bears and Vikings have both fielded great run stopping defenses but Grant had consistent success against both teams. Starks is the same type of player. The conditions of the field should also favor a plant and go long strider like Starks. I wouldn't be surprised if our zone running game took off. Rodgers is a rare talent but big passing plays are just plain rare against the Bears. With some success on the ground I think the wheels fall off for Chicago.

On Defense, it sounds disrespectful but I honestly believe that the key is to catch interceptions. Cutler has a couple of catches away from a 1 TD 3 INT performance against the 27th ranked defense last week. He's going to throw it up for grabs and he will not learn his lesson about it either, See "sending Hall to the probowl." Chuck is overdue for a pick and I think this is his game.

vince
01-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Here's my incredibly cogent and relevant insight key to victory: Score more points!
I said that first!

RashanGary
01-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Well, both coaches pretty much have the same plan. These are two good teams, two tough teams. The Bears don't give up many points. The Packers don't give up many points. There aren't going to be very many 80 yard drives for either team, so the first team that blinks and makes a mistake is going to pay.

Nothing about this game is overly complicated. The team that does the fundamental things better will probably win. Ball security, special teams, penalties. All of them mean more in a defensive struggle than they do in a shootout. Error is amplified in this game. It's not earth shattering but it is true.

Nice comments by 3irty1. Chicago is a dominant run defense, but that one cut and go style works well on a slick field. Defenders need good angles or they'll fall down. NE did well on a slick field with short passes. Get the ball in the hands of your playmakers and put the pressure on teh defenders to not fall down trying to tackle them.

vince
01-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Well, both coaches pretty much have the same plan. These are two good teams, two tough teams. The Bears don't give up many points. The Packers don't give up many points. There aren't going to be very many 80 yard drives for either team, so the first team that blinks and makes a mistake is going to pay.

Nothing about this game is overly complicated. The team that does the fundamental things better will probably win. Ball security, special teams, penalties. All of them mean more in a defensive struggle than they do in a shootout. Error is amplified in this game. It's not earth shattering but it is true.

Nice comments by 3irty1. Chicago is a dominant run defense, but that one cut and go style works well on a slick field. Defenders need good angles or they'll fall down. NE did well on a slick field with short passes. Get the ball in the hands of your playmakers and put the pressure on teh defenders to not fall down trying to tackle them.
Totally agree.

Smeefers
01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Asswipe. (Pronounced Ashweepay) Here's my incredibly cogent and relevant insight key to victory: Score more points!

There's absolutely no way we loose this game unless we score less points. We really do have to watch out for that.

denverYooper
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Pad Level.

sharpe1027
01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
In the past, the Bears defense has sat back and tried to force GB to maintain long drives with short gains on each play. Mistakes (penalties/sacks/ect...) by GB have made this pretty effective. It will be important to get the Bears out of this mode. An early lead and/or successful running game would do the trick.

On defense, Cutler will give you the ball if you let him.

rbaloha1
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Agree with the threads about stopping the run and forcing Cutler to throw. Although Cutler has improved Cutler stills occasionally forces the ball into coverage (just like idol Favre.)

VermontPackFan
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Pad Level.

Dont forget technique..and consistency.

Packers4Glory
01-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Dont forget technique..and consistency.

that is part of our brand of football....

gbgary
01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
since cutler is a "pick & stick" qb (per trent dilfer...meaning he picks out a guy and throws to him if he thinks he's open) and doesn't read defences well or throw timing passes well (per kurt warner...that's what they changed in the chicago o scheme during their bye week) makes me think tight coverage will make him hold the ball longer (for a sack) and/or force a throw (for an int).

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Agree with the threads about stopping the run and forcing Cutler to throw. Although Cutler has improved Cutler stills occasionally forces the ball into coverage (just like idle Favre.)

Fixed

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
They need to get Quarless involved in a big way. Jermichael Finley type TE's are the perfect weapon to attack the cover 2, and that's what we need from Quarless. A tall, physical TE with good hands to run the hash marks and attack the safeties so Jennings and Driver have more room to work.

The defense better have been paying attention to Cutler's new favorite weapon last week. Greg Olsen had a tremendous game. He's really the only guy that scares me. Contain Olsen, take advantage of Cutler's mistakes, get off the field on 3rd down.

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Olsen's catches in the Dec game at Lambeau were all short underneath stuff. He will get his catches. But he probably will struggle to make plays down the field, because there's no way the Packers are going to trot out the same absurd coverage as Seattle - and they have Collins back there, not a 36 year old litigator.

They need to get Quarless involved in a big way. Jermichael Finley type TE's are the perfect weapon to attack the cover 2, and that's what we need from Quarless. A tall, physical TE with good hands to run the hash marks and attack the safeties so Jennings and Driver have more room to work.

The defense better have been paying attention to Cutler's new favorite weapon last week. Greg Olsen had a tremendous game. He's really the only guy that scares me. Contain Olsen, take advantage of Cutler's mistakes, get off the field on 3rd down.

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm not worried about the 70 yard TD catches. I'm worried about the 8 yard first down catches. The Bears can move the ball with that underneath stuff coz the only halfway decent cover LB we have is AJ Hawk.

Gunakor
01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
The bigger point is that now Cutler is throwing to Olsen. Something that, if Martz were truly an offensive genious, Cutler would have been doing very frequently all season long.

denverYooper
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
that is part of our brand of football....

we're very confident in our brand of football

denverYooper
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Olsen's catches in the Dec game at Lambeau were all short underneath stuff. He will get his catches. But he probably will struggle to make plays down the field, because there's no way the Packers are going to trot out the same absurd coverage as Seattle - and they have Collins back there, not a 36 year old litigator.

LOL. Here's a brief rundown of analysis I've heard of that play:
"threw it to Olsen over a statue"
"beat an old man down the seam"
"I don't even know what defense Seattle was in on that play."

I can't remember where the first two came from, but the last one was from LeRoy Butler. He thought Seattle's defense looked confused.

wist43
01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
1) Don't play a vanilla 3-4
2) Contain Forte
3) Contain Hester
4) If the run game isn't working, don't try to force it... crank up the short passing game and everything else will open up.

If they do those things, I think we could even endure a (-) turnover differential and still win.

Doesn't matter what the Bears do if we play our best football... they can't match up in terms of talent. That said, a word of caution... hatred, and a nasty attitude can carry you a long way - if they come out more focused and determined than we do, we could just as easily lose.

sharpe1027
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM

I think that ship has sailed. They tried to get Quarless involved after Finley went down, which makes sense because their offense was already setup to utilize a TE like Finley. They have since gone away from that strategy after Quarless provided only mediocre-to-poor results.

Lurker64
01-19-2011, 02:09 PM
1) Don't play a vanilla 3-4

Have we actually done that at any point this year? Capers seems to be running a 2-4-5 defense most games.

denverYooper
01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

From a Mike Lombardi interview with an NFC North scout: (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc6ed6/article/longtime-nfc-north-scout-maybe-its-the-bears-year)

"I watched (Seattle safety) Lawyer Milloy get beat on that (long touchdown catch by Olsen), and I'm like, 'Where the hell was the other safety? Who plays zero-man coverage there?," the scout said. "The Packers won't put players in that position -- old-man Lawyer Milloy in zero-man coverage vs. Olsen? That's what stupidity gets you. Woodson would be playing nickel in that situation with a safety behind him. It's not that Olsen is special. He just looked special there because of the matchup the Seahawks put themselves in."

wist43
01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Have we actually done that at any point this year? Capers seems to be running a 2-4-5 defense most games.

Actually no, he really hasn't gone conservative much this year... but then again, we had these same conversations before last years Arizona game, didn't we??

We play Arizona in week 17, and empty the playbook at em and dominate... come back the next week and Capers trots out his vaunted "Sugar Plums and Lollipops" defense, and we give 51.

As I've said from the moment we hired Capers, he's a great coach... but he will revert to his conservative nature at times, and then won't adjust. We've seen it before...

To me, Capers is the most important coach/player involved in the game... if he goes the idiot/conservative route, we don't stand a chance; if he turns the defense loose, we'll likely win.

Smidgeon
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Actually no, he really hasn't gone conservative much this year... but then again, we had these same conversations before last years Arizona game, didn't we??

We play Arizona in week 17, and empty the playbook at em and dominate... come back the next week and Capers trots out his vaunted "Sugar Plums and Lollipops" defense, and we give 51.

As I've said from the moment we hired Capers, he's a great coach... but he will revert to his conservative nature at times, and then won't adjust. We've seen it before...

To me, Capers is the most important coach/player involved in the game... if he goes the idiot/conservative route, we don't stand a chance; if he turns the defense loose, we'll likely win.

Wasn't he forced into conservative because of how Warner was carving up the blitzes?

Smidgeon
01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
I think that ship has sailed. They tried to get Quarless involved after Finley went down, which makes sense because their offense was already setup to utilize a TE like Finley. They have since gone away from that strategy after Quarless provided only mediocre-to-poor results.

To be fair, Quarless is still a rookie. I agree that he isn't offering much and that strategy likely won't be used this year, but he's doing a lot for a rookie TE. Look no further than Finley's rookie year. I for one am glad he was drafted.

/thread jack

Packers4Glory
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Besides the obvious stuff like taking care if the ball, limiting penalties, and drops....the key is w/o a doubt special teams play. As well as neutralizing Peppers. And controlling the running game. We need to keep them in 3rd and longs.

If we can some how put up some early points and get out to a lead, that might get Martz to panic and feel like he has to shoot it out.

mission
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Wasn't he forced into conservative because of how Warner was carving up the blitzes?

Yeah, well, facts aren't really a big deal.

Packers4Glory
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
To be fair, Quarless is still a rookie. I agree that he isn't offering much and that strategy likely won't be used this year, but he's doing a lot for a rookie TE. Look no further than Finley's rookie year. I for one am glad he was drafted.

/thread jack
This is true, but I'd not be surprised if MM adds this into the game plan. The TE has been forgotten since Finley went down. I doubt the bears are preparing for anything like week 3. If MM can get Quarless into the plan some it could be the surprise edge they need. I can't say I have faith in Q but if he could make some grabs down the seem snd in the middle...you jus opened up things considerably and have them scrambling to try snd cover it. Could be key.

Packers4Glory
01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
The last key is the players need to want to win this game as badly as I do! If they do then it's in the bag!

Freak Out
01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
The TEs have not been forgotten.....they remaining guys just haven't been used the way JF was.

mraynrand
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Packers secondary was thin that day, and got thinner with injuries. The worst part was the confusion where LBs and dbacks had trouble passing off receivers in coverage. Packers have been a whole lot better at that this year, and have improved as the year has gone along. Peprah is a nice surprise, and having Woodson in his hybrid role, roving around, instead of having to coverage a lot has helped too. even though Bishop and Hawk are a step slower than what you'd like as MLBs in a 3-4, they are more consistent and assignment sure than when Barnett was in there, particularly Bishop. For all his quickness, Barnett was out of position far too often.

Smidgeon
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Packers secondary was thin that day, and got thinner with injuries. The worst part was the confusion where LBs and dbacks had trouble passing off receivers in coverage. Packers have been a whole lot better at that this year, and have improved as the year has gone along. Peprah is a nice surprise, and having Woodson in his hybrid role, roving around, instead of having to coverage a lot has helped too. even though Bishop and Hawk are a step slower than what you'd like as MLBs in a 3-4, they are more consistent and assignment sure than when Barnett was in there, particularly Bishop. For all his quickness, Barnett was out of position far too often.

I still think history will look at this defense and call it the Green Bay 2-4. Kind of like the Bears' 46 or something. Don't historically different schemes arise from certain players? The Dallas D that Bates brought in required certain kinds of DEs, for example.

Now, I'm mostly talking out of turn because I really don't know, but I think it conceivable that the secondary and DL of GB allow them to do things that no other team can. With Raji and Pickett on run downs and Raji and Jenkins on pass downs, with Shields and Williams on the outside, Woodson on the inside, and Collins deep to clean up, I can potentially see this defense being historically significant. Just sayin'.

sharpe1027
01-19-2011, 03:55 PM
/thread jack

Yep, I didn't mean to imply that he was a bad pick. I just don't expect to see him suddenly making a huge leap in productivity. Although I will be very happy if he does.

Smidgeon
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Yep, I didn't mean to imply that he was a bad pick. I just don't expect to see him suddenly making a huge leap in productivity. Although I will be very happy if he does.

Okay. I can accept that. And agree with it.

RashanGary
01-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I still think history will look at this defense and call it the Green Bay 2-4. Kind of like the Bears' 46 or something. Don't historically different schemes arise from certain players? The Dallas D that Bates brought in required certain kinds of DEs, for example.

Now, I'm mostly talking out of turn because I really don't know, but I think it conceivable that the secondary and DL of GB allow them to do things that no other team can. With Raji and Pickett on run downs and Raji and Jenkins on pass downs, with Shields and Williams on the outside, Woodson on the inside, and Collins deep to clean up, I can potentially see this defense being historically significant. Just sayin'.

They should call it that, but they won't.

Regardless of what they call it, I'll always remember having Collins, Woodson and Tramon in the same secondary and Raji/Mattews rushing the passer. This has been a special pass defense.

Smidgeon
01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
They should call it that, but they won't.

Regardless of what they call it, I'll always remember having Collins, Woodson and Tramon in the same secondary and Raji/Mattews rushing the passer. This has been a special pass defense.

Personally, I think it's an exceptional case of a coordinator tailoring a defense to fit the players. GB was in nickel over 70% of the season and still weren't terribly easy to run on (except for some QBs at the beginning of the year). That's simply impressive.

3irty1
01-20-2011, 09:02 AM

The Packers also have a 3-3 nickel package that we've been seeing quite a bit of. Dom seems to have a special nickel just for first down that uses his big hogs up front to stop the run but still has his best cover guys in order to not give up a big play. The actual 3-4 is a run defense.

RashanGary
01-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Nice post, 3irty1. I didn't notice we were playing more of that, but it makes a ton of sense.

1. We're HUGE up front so we can stop the run
2. Raji and Matthews are special pass rushers so we still apply pressure
3. Woodson is still a rover/LB role where QB's have no clue what he might be doing

With our personnel, that's a really nice base package. It's what I'd run against the Bears.

mraynrand
01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
One subtle point that could lead to huge success or terrible failure for the Pack would be who wins the cat and mouse game with the hot reads. Woodson can show blitz or show coverage. If Cutler thinks blitz, he loves to throw that quick dump off to TE 81 and occasionally other WRs depending on alignment. If Woodson can flash blitz and then drop into that passing lane, possibilities exist for big plays. If he guesses wrong, misses the formation, or Cutler gets the ball out before he gets there (or pulls it back in seeing Woodson jump the lane), Chicago could catch us in a bad spot. Hopefully Woodson does his homework, knows all the tendencies and has Cutler figured out. even when Woodson blitzes though, Cutler as a tough time throwing an accurate quick ball - I'd say less than 50% of the time it's a catchable ball.

Fritz
01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
How does Cutler do against blitzes? Is he good at picking them up and getting the ball out? Anybody know?

billy_oliver880
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
52 sacks on him this year.

Also Martz doesn't let him check out of plays. So if the blitz comes he has to get rid of it quick.

mraynrand
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM
How does Cutler do against blitzes? Is he good at picking them up and getting the ball out? Anybody know?

He's gotten a whole lot better as the season has progressed. And by better, I mean better getting the ball out and not getting sacked. He's still somewhat shaky with accuracy on those hot reads, but they've hit quite a few of them.

steve823
01-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Two players that will play a huge role in winning Sunday: Cullen Jenkins and Bryan Bulaga.

Agreed, especially about Bulaga. If he plays like he did last game it will be a huge boost for our offense. (Bulaga only allowed one sack and no other pressure and did good in run blocking last game)

pbmax
01-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Yes, and he was down DBs too. Jarret Bush was the nickel corner, Underwood and Bell alternated playing dime and Bigby had his foot/ankle injury and his backup was Giordano.

Capers has also played much less zone on 1st and 2nd down this year.

MJZiggy
01-20-2011, 08:49 PM
The last key is the players need to want to win this game as badly as I do! If they do then it's in the bag!

Rodgers still has something to prove. People need to know without question that he should have been the number 1 pick (as if we didn't know already) and that Rodgers over Favre was the right call. He's a man on a mission.

Freak Out
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
What Packer/Bear game is this? 180 what?

Joemailman
01-20-2011, 08:58 PM
182. Bears lead 92-83-6.

CaptainKickass
01-20-2011, 10:55 PM
52 sacks on him this year.

Somebody say 52?

http://photos.upi.com/Sports/ac0b3aae77427fe2c3cfdb99d86b63b7/Packers-Matthews-sacks-Bears-Cutler-in-Chicago_21.jpg

vince
01-21-2011, 03:14 AM
182. Bears lead 92-83-6.
I'd say this game should count at least 10. If the Packers win, they officially take the lead in the series.

Gunakor
01-21-2011, 03:49 AM
If the Packers win this game the count is officially retired. Packers 1, Chicago 0. We can stop counting after that.

Tarlam!
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Hopefully Woodson does his homework, knows all the tendencies and has Cutler figured out.

That's like saying "Hopefully there'll be Thanksgiving this November", right?

Freak Out
01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
The Packer D will win this game.

Tarlam!
01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
If the Packers win this game the count is officially retired. Packers 1, Chicago 0. We can stop counting after that.

That is so true. But if they lose, we'll find ourselves wishing for a rematch and that means rooting for the (blech!!!!!! :bang::crazy::shtf::pc: ) Bears until we get one.

Fritz
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I been thinking...dangerous, I know. I been thinking that special teams is the key. The defenses may be equal; the Packers offense may be better than da Bears' offense. But if our ST can't keep Hester & Co contained, the Bears will be starting drives at the 35+ and have less field to get down. And if our return guys don't do the job, then Arod & Co will have farther to go to score.

If the Pack can win special teams, all around, they will, I think, win the game. But that's a big if.

Pugger
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
There is no way in hell I could ever root for the bares under any circumstances.

mraynrand
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I been thinking...dangerous, I know. I been thinking that special teams is the key. The defenses may be equal; the Packers offense may be better than da Bears' offense. But if our ST can't keep Hester & Co contained, the Bears will be starting drives at the 35+ and have less field to get down. And if our return guys don't do the job, then Arod & Co will have farther to go to score.

If the Pack can win special teams, all around, they will, I think, win the game. But that's a big if.

If the sun explodes, we all die. But that's a big if.

swede
01-21-2011, 03:49 PM
If the sun explodes, we all die. But that's a big if.

SPF 30, a lawn chair, and a cold beer.

Brandon494
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Keys to the game? Don't commit 18 penalties, don't fumble, and don't let Hester return the ball.

HowardRoark
01-21-2011, 07:02 PM
SPF 30, a lawn chair, and a cold beer.

That's right Swede. If the sun is going to explode, you might as well sit back and enjoy it.

http://collegefootblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/bobby-knight.jpg