PDA

View Full Version : Starks?

Noodle
01-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Given that conditions (wind & cold) might hurt the passing game, a running/screen game will likely be crucial. The running part falls on the OL and Starks. Yeah, the kid had a great game against the Iggles, but against the Falcons, not so much, ripping off 2.6 per carry.

Worse, of his 25 carries, nearly half were for a yard or less -- 4 for minus yardage, 4 for no gain, and 4 for only a yard. That will not move the chains.

I'm hoping he plays to prove that the Iggles game was no fluke and really punishes people. But I have to admit I'm worried. Which was the aberration, Iggles or Falcons?

mission
01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Given that conditions (wind & cold) might hurt the passing game, a running/screen game will likely be crucial. The running part falls on the OL and Starks. Yeah, the kid had a great game against the Iggles, but against the Falcons, not so much, ripping off 2.6 per carry.

Worse, of his 25 carries, nearly half were for a yard or less -- 4 for minus yardage, 4 for no gain, and 4 for only a yard. That will not move the chains.

I'm hoping he plays to prove that the Iggles game was no fluke and really punishes people. But I have to admit I'm worried. Which was the aberration, Iggles or Falcons?

they had 8 guys in the box the whole game and AR had a career day

if starks has the exact same game and forces the bears to change their defense to account then im fine with it.

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2011, 02:00 PM
A lot of his carries were late. He had fewer than 10 carries in the first half, so I'm thinking there were a lot of runs where the Falcons were geared up to stop him.

Cheesehead Craig
01-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Apparently the Falcons had a shortage of DBs and had to play with a lot of LBs so they simply had more big bodies on the field, thus it was more difficult to run against them.

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Don't you mean Sparks?

He looked good against the 49ers and not so good against the Lions. Then was inactive, inactive, and ok in only 5 carries (20 yards) against the Bears. I also thought that vs. the Eagles, they brought out the 2 FB set more and against the Falcons he was running more out of single back or I-formation so he had the luxury of added blockers in the Iggles game.

I'm pretty sure he'll play against the Bears and feel that he will have some success against them partly because they'll be willing to let him have some yards in order to shackle the passing game and partly because I still have visions of Grant having success against them. Sparks brings a similar style and as long as the guys up front don't let Ndamakong Suh get in the backfield so quickly, he'll be alright.

I think that in the long run he will be a better than average back for the Packers.

Packers4Glory
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
he had nice runs in the game..he got shut down late as one might expect. Starks makes good reads and hits holes well, but you can only do so much w/o blocking.

vince
01-18-2011, 03:36 PM
he had nice runs in the game..he got shut down late as one might expect. Starks makes good reads and hits holes well, but you can only do so much w/o blocking.
Yup. The Falcons were penetrating the backfield with regularity on running plays and Starks actually made something out of nothing a few times. I love how he gets going downhill and finishes. He put some linebackers on their back Saturday night.

Noodle
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I didn't get to see the game, just heard it and read the stats, so it's encouraging to hear that Starks didn't regress in some way.

I read a post-game interview with Starks, and he sounded p.o.ed about his performance. So I'm guessing he plays wicked hungry against the Bears, sort of the way JJones wiped off the stink of his Iggles drop with some great catches against the Falcons.

That is, if the OL does a decent job, dag nabbit!

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
I liked Sparks's 25/66 better than Jackson's 10/26 against the Falcons, that's for sure.

mraynrand
01-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I liked Sparks's 25/66 better than Jackson's 10/26 against the Falcons, that's for sure.

If Jackson had run 25 times, with that average, he would run for 65 yards.

bobblehead
01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Most of the running game is dictated by the line. My personal feeling is that you shouldn't pay a RB too much money and keep a fresh young stable rotating through town. Meanwhile pay your OL well, build the foundation and let other teams overpay RB's which are by and large a dime a dozen if you have good blocking. I like starks just fine, he is better than BJack, but given a choice of Starks with little blocking, or BJack with great blocking.....no brainer.

swede
01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Most of the running game is dictated by the line. My personal feeling is that you shouldn't pay a RB too much money and keep a fresh young stable rotating through town. Meanwhile pay your OL well, build the foundation and let other teams overpay RB's which are by and large a dime a dozen if you have good blocking. I like starks just fine, he is better than BJack, but given a choice of Starks with little blocking, or BJack with great blocking.....no brainer.

+1 Good post.

mmmdk
01-18-2011, 07:20 PM
+1 Good post.

I give you 5 points; Swedes are cheap! :lol:

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
If Jackson had run 25 times, with that average, he would run for 65 yards.

It doesn't matter who's doing it but if GB gives one guy 25 carries, even at 2.6 ypc, they're probably winning.

mraynrand
01-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Welcome to Mike Shanahan's Denver

bobblehead
01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Welcome to Mike Shanahan's Denver

And John Robinsons Rams. Dickerson is my all time favorite, but I am honest about the fact that every time he missed a game, someone else got 100 yards. Hell, when Ahman was running over teams we all thought The Pooper was a Pro Bowler as well.....and Tony Fischer.

Bretsky
01-18-2011, 10:29 PM

I think this was to be expected; our OL is not a powerful OL.

The Eagles DL was undersized and their LB's were poor

I mentioned that GB would not be able to run on Atlanta

Starks may get a couple nice runs, but he's back there just to keep a defense off balance from playing 100% pass IMO

His average will look poor against the Bears as well; he's a decent RB and tons better then Brandon Jackson. He'll look good against a poor rush defense and bad against a stellar rush defense (we will see that Sunday)

mraynrand
01-18-2011, 11:03 PM
And John Robinsons Rams. Dickerson is my all time favorite, but I am honest about the fact that every time he missed a game, someone else got 100 yards. Hell, when Ahman was running over teams we all thought The Pooper was a Pro Bowler as well.....and Tony Fischer.

You can't replace me!

http://www.etrendsmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/1292137229-94.jpg

denverYooper
01-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Those are some bad ass rec specs.

swede
01-18-2011, 11:42 PM
The first year I got involved in a fantasy football league it was with some younger guys. I had no idea how to study for a draft. This was about 1992 I think and I was pleased to see Eric Dickerson was available so I used my number one pick on him, to the younger guys' extreme amusement.

Well at least I didn't pick Eric Torkelson.

rbaloha1
01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Forget Stark's stats -- played well against the Falcons. The running lanes were stuffed. Starks found the lanes and ran hard.

The threat of Starks running the ball opens up the passing game. Agree with MM that rushing attempts are more important. IMO Starks has ugly stats again this week with winning performance.

Fritz
01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I think Starks blocked very nicely in pass protection on Saturday. I see little reason to play BJack more strictly for his blocking.

AtlPackFan
01-19-2011, 02:23 PM

+1

Freak Out
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
I like having BJ in there for screens and such.....have we seen Starks on a screen play yet? Can't remember......?

mission
01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I like having BJ in there for screens and such.....have we seen Starks on a screen play yet? Can't remember......?

One that I can remember against the Bears where AR almost threw a pick.