PDA

View Full Version : DPOY Vote.

Smidgeon
01-19-2011, 11:41 AM
So Peter King voted for Julius Peppers as his DPOY over Matthews and Wake. Seriously?? His reasoning was that Peppers made the defense better. That is something with which I agree. However, I can't think he did more for his team than Matthews did. Not only did Matthews finish fourth in the league in sacks and have a few fumbles and a TD, but the D couldn't get anything done on the game and a half he was out. If I'm being a homer, call me out, but I just don't think Peppers did more than Matthews did.

denverYooper
01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
The trendy thing to say about Peppers is that he "does things that don't show up on the stat sheet". I would argue that Matthews, Wake, Ngata, and any other guy that the other team has to game plan for, also "do things that don't show up in the stats".

While I like some of the narrative that Peter King provides, he often romanticizes certain notions he forms of some players to the point where I don't really count on him for analysis of actual on-field play. His whole "made the defense better" argument leaves out the fact that Urlacher came back to that front 7 and Tommie Harris decided to start playing again.

gbgary
01-19-2011, 12:11 PM
so when is the result to be announced?

Smidgeon
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
so when is the result to be announced?

As far as I understand, all the awards are already tallied. They just haven't announced them yet. And by this point last year, we knew all the winners.

Packers4Glory
01-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I can live w/ that...but Harris at safety???? WTF

denverYooper
01-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Here's Dan Pompei's ballot:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/One-mans-AllPro-vote.html

He voted for Sitton on O, Clay, Tramon, and Hawk(!) on D.

sharpe1027
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
So Pepper's gets it because he moved to a new team that really needed his skills? DPOY is now determined by how crappy the previous guy was at your position?

Bretsky
01-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I've vote for Clay over Peppers; but he sure has been a great free agent signing for the Bears

Smidgeon
01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
I've vote for Clay over Peppers; but he sure has been a great free agent signing for the Bears

I can absolutely agree with this statement. I didn't mean to take anything away from Peppers. I just think Clay was better.

red
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Here's Dan Pompei's ballot:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/One-mans-AllPro-vote.html

He voted for Sitton on O, Clay, Tramon, and Hawk(!) on D.

more proof that packer fans greatly undervalue hawk

he's not flashy at all, but he just goes out and gets it done every week

bobblehead
01-19-2011, 04:11 PM
So Peter King voted for Julius Peppers as his DPOY over Matthews and Wake. Seriously?? His reasoning was that Peppers made the defense better. That is something with which I agree. However, I can't think he did more for his team than Matthews did. Not only did Matthews finish fourth in the league in sacks and have a few fumbles and a TD, but the D couldn't get anything done on the game and a half he was out. If I'm being a homer, call me out, but I just don't think Peppers did more than Matthews did.

I agree that Clay was every bit as important for us as Peppers was for them, but the games he missed we did ok on D. I didn't study any other teams stars, and I can't say that I am fully knowledgable regarding peppers or how much better he may have been than others, but I do think Clay was a stud and a playmaker. My personal opinion is that TWill was DPOY, and last sunday simply solidified my opinion.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I agree that Clay was every bit as important for us as Peppers was for them, but the games he missed we did ok on D. I didn't study any other teams stars, and I can't say that I am fully knowledgable regarding peppers or how much better he may have been than others, but I do think Clay was a stud and a playmaker. My personal opinion is that TWill was DPOY, and last sunday simply solidified my opinion.

I'd strongly disagree. We gave up 23 points against Miami and got run over pretty good. They had 150 rushing yards and 381 total yards (almost 350 even before OT).

In the other game, Matthews left early in the 4th quarter. We had a 13-3 lead when he left. After he left, Washington had a TD drive, a drive that led to a missed FG, and a drive that led to the tying FG. On the fourth drive they got a couple of first downs and punted but turned field position. Their last drive was a short drive that led to the game winning FG after Rodgers interception. We had a chance there to make it a difficult kick, but they got a couple of first downs and made it a short FG attempt.