PDA

View Full Version : OH NOOO...SAY IT AIN'T SO....HOW WOULD YOU REACT ???????

Bretsky
01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
http://packerrats.com/entry.php?17-OH-NO-SAY-IT-AIN-quot-T-SO-!-HOW-WOULD-YOU-REACT

MichiganPackerFan
01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I've been thinking about that a lot this week as my stomach is lodged soundly in my throat. If it wasn't the Bears and the luckiest season in the history of professional sports, I think I would consider this to be an overachieving successful season. If the horrible, unthinkable happens, i will walk away in a daze and probably not have my head return to earth until at least the next season kicks off.

Smidgeon
01-20-2011, 11:32 AM
The Bears' fans would be completely unbearable. They'd be talking about how they were the better team all year long, etc. It would make me sick. Literally. I'm worried abou this game because the Bears' luck can't be ignored. I'm simply hoping that it balances out and McAuley's crew doesn't dictate the game again.

Tarlam!
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I left a comment on the article.

I would hate it, I truly would hate it, but regardless of how it turns out, I'm delighted to be a fan of this team. I got a great deal of excitement from the games this season and I'm a happy camper. As far as I'm concerned, the lads have already earned a ticker tape parade for a job well done.

Little Whiskey
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
B, you made me sick just reading that article. this is GC material, please keep it off the front page!!

Lurker64
01-20-2011, 12:43 PM
If we lose either of the next two games, I'll be upset initially but looking back on this season I can't help but call it a success ultimately. For a team so thoroughly decimated by injuries as we have been at this point this year, we got very close to what the preseason hype on our team was, and even doing that is pretty rare.

It's said often in sports, that "injuries" are not an excuse, but that's bullshit. Sometimes injuries are an excuse. When the Pats lost Brady for the season in the first game, and failed to make the playoffs the year after they went 18-1... you don't think that's a reasonable excuse? The Packers have something crazy like 200 starter games lost due to injury. The fact that we're this far to begin with is a testament to the jobs that everybody not yet on IR (including Ted and the coaches).

I will, however, ignore ESPN for a couple of weeks and cheer pretty hard for the AFC team (even if it is the Jets).

Fritz
01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
First, I'd be sick at my stomach, queasy for a few days. I'd probably keep asking "what if?" and "why didn't?" questions for about a week. I'd call for someone to be fired. Maybe Slocum or Campen, or maybe I'd demand that Jones (or whoever screwed up in the game) be cut immediately.

After a few weeks - probably a week or so after the Super Bowl - I'd begin to get my balance back, and I'd then recognize what a wonderful season it was. My god, I walked out of Ford Field on December 12th with a sick taste in my mouth and idiot Lions' fans screaming in my ears, and I thought there was no way this Packer team could make the playoffs. And then they did. And then they won a couple playoff games with a decimated roster. Wow. Then I'd start studying up on the upcoming draft.

Smidgeon
01-20-2011, 01:01 PM
I think if it was any other NFC team (except the Vikings), I could stomach losing after a week or so. But the Bears? That's something else entirely.

Little Whiskey
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
It's said often in sports, that "injuries" are not an excuse, but that's bullshit. Sometimes injuries are an excuse. When the Pats lost Brady for the season in the first game, and failed to make the playoffs the year after they went 18-1... you don't think that's a reasonable excuse?

I believe the Pats went 11-5 that year. in a "normal" year they would have made the playoffs. Not many 11-5 teams miss the playoffs.

Lurker64
01-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I believe the Pats went 11-5 that year. in a "normal" year they would have made the playoffs. Not many 11-5 teams miss the playoffs.

You can't tell me that they wouldn't have gone 12-4 or better with Brady instead of Matt Cassell that year, though.

mmmdk
01-20-2011, 01:34 PM
If we lose either of the next two games, I'll be upset initially but looking back on this season I can't help but call it a success ultimately. For a team so thoroughly decimated by injuries as we have been at this point this year, we got very close to what the preseason hype on our team was, and even doing that is pretty rare.

It's said often in sports, that "injuries" are not an excuse, but that's bullshit. Sometimes injuries are an excuse. When the Pats lost Brady for the season in the first game, and failed to make the playoffs the year after they went 18-1... you don't think that's a reasonable excuse? The Packers have something crazy like 200 starter games lost due to injury. The fact that we're this far to begin with is a testament to the jobs that everybody not yet on IR (including Ted and the coaches).

I will, however, ignore ESPN for a couple of weeks and cheer pretty hard for the AFC team (even if it is the Jets).

We didn't lose any "Brady" type of player; the majority of replacement players on defense have been better than the initial starters that got injured. Barnett & Burnett who? Even Walden made me forget Chillar. Finley & Grant are the ones we miss but thankfully we've lost no probowlers this season.

Little Whiskey
01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
You can't tell me that they wouldn't have gone 12-4 or better with Brady instead of Matt Cassell that year, though.

true, but one game could have been won or lost due to any number of reason, not just brady. That showed just how talented the Pats were. you lose a major piece of your team and still play playoff football.

Lurker64
01-20-2011, 02:00 PM
We didn't lose any "Brady" type of player; the majority of replacement players on defense have been better than the initial starters that got injured. Barnett & Burnett who? Even Walden made me forget Chillar. Finley & Grant are the ones we miss but thankfully we've lost no probowlers this season.

Losing Finley was a big, big deal. First of all, we had to rejigger (that's a technical term) our entire offense in his absence, and second of all a big fast TE is the ultimate cover 2 beater. With Finley, there would be no chance we'd lose to the Bears on Sunday without a series of epic gaffes.

denverYooper
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM

83 starter games lost, 2nd most in the leage, according to FO. (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fo-espn-feature-columns/2011/espn-starter-games-lost-and-packers)

Notice that the Bears are tied for least starter games lost, with 11.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Finley is a "Pro Bowler" caliber player. Actually, he's beyond that. He's an All-Pro caliber TE.

One player can make a huge difference. Look at how Chicago (and their defense) does with a healthy Brian Urlacher compared to when he's out or playing injured. Makes a huge difference.

RashanGary
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Finley is a "Pro Bowler" caliber player. Actually, he's beyond that. He's an All-Pro caliber TE.

One player can make a huge difference. Look at how Chicago (and their defense) does with a healthy Brian Urlacher compared to when he's out or playing injured. Makes a huge difference.

Urlacher and Peppers both. Big difference in that team.

Noodle
01-20-2011, 03:33 PM
First, I agree that losing Finley was a huge deal, you really can't underestimate how important a field-stretching TE is. You think Chicago would be cool with losing Olsen? And even though our youngsters have played well, it is hard to imagine the strain this has put on the coaching staff, who have to focus not just on scehme but also on whether the latest noob knows what the heck he's supposed to do.

I also agree that I will have a hard time seeing the good in this season if the Pack lose to the Bears. In part, because it's the friggin' Bears, but in larger part because I don't see the Bears as worthy. They just haven't earned it.

So if the Pack makes it and loses to either the Steelers or the Jets in the SB, I'm bummed but cool, because those are two very worthy opponents who have fought and beaten some tough hombres to get there (The Pats had to endure 3 games against the Ravens D!The Jets did 3 games against Hoodie!).

The Bears, as others have noted, have pretty much lucked out their whole season. So I don't care what happens in the SB, but I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE TO THE BEARS!

MadScientist
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
If this nightmare plays out, I will be sick for two weeks. I doubt I could even stomach watching the Superbowl. Loosing to the Bears in this situation is worse than loosing to any of the other playoff teams this year.

Win or lose I think the rivalry kicks up a notch or two for the next couple of years.

mmmdk
01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Losing Finley was a big, big deal. First of all, we had to rejigger (that's a technical term) our entire offense in his absence, and second of all a big fast TE is the ultimate cover 2 beater. With Finley, there would be no chance we'd lose to the Bears on Sunday without a series of epic gaffes.

No doubt - I agree 100% but we'll beat the Bears regardless.

mmmdk
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I think I've learned an important lesson this season; that one guy doesn't necessarily make or break a season. I, hohum, said McCarthy wasn't the man to get us over the hump but he's not that important to the success of the Packers but nonetheless important. Yet with that said, I couldn't possibly imagine Packers winning the Lombardi Trophy without Aaron Rodgers or maybe even Clay Matthews.

Joemailman
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Well, it would be somewhere in the middle. On the positive side, I would see this as a season where the Packers showed a lot of resiliency and saw the emergence of some young players (Shields, Williams, Starks, Bishop). A lot of young guys would have gained some valuable playoff experience. This team would certainly be positioned to be a major Super Bowl contender for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, it would be a lost opportunity, as for the 2nd time in 4 years, The Packers would have lost in an NFC Title Game. Great older players like Driver, Woodson and Clifton would be edging ever closer to retirement. Worst of all, the Bears would be in the Super Bowl.

I would be seriously bummed out but still optimistic about the future.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
I really hope the Bears don't make it to the Superbowl. I honestly believe they would be the luckiest team to ever make it to the Superbowl. The difference might be them getting a free win week one against the Lions which resulted in a first round bye. Then they draw the worst playoff team ever. They basically start the playoffs in the NFC championship game. And then when they get there are playing us, the one team that they don't even have to be good to beat basically because its us. They get all the luck........dropped INTs we they need it, fumbles when they need it, everything goes right for them.

Now look at our season. All of our losses have been close heart breaking losses. I believe we are the better team, but we have completely not luck this season. We get Vick and Eagles on the road, then Matty ice on the road, and then the luckiest team who seem to do no wrong of late on the road with the ref who cheated us out of a victory against this very team. Does it get any worse then that??? We always have the shit luck............The only way this season turns around and is successful is this team WINS the Superbowl. One step at a time though and we have a really hard step this weekend.

I really hope we finally get lucky brakes and win......Hoping for fumbles, easy INTs,, and maybe even a sp. teams score. I hope for a really good all around game!

RashanGary
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
First, the Bears are good and could win. They have the leagues best special teams and a top tier defense. On top of that, they have a solid running game and a decent overall offense. And to top it off, if they need a 2 minute drive, they have an extremely talented QB who could have one amazing drive. He's done it before.

So there is a very real possibility that we lose to one of the best teams in the NFL. If it happens, well, we're probably going fly off the F'in hook. Someone will have made a mistake, be it MM, JJ or anyone else. There is no way we sit here and talk about how wonderful the season was. Some Bear player is going to cheap shot one of our guys. Some ref is going to make a bogus call. If we lose, it's not going to be pretty. And I don't much care if it's overreaction. This place is starting to suck because people are afraid to go out on limbs and express themselves. Screw that. I'll start by being the biggest idiot in the room and if time proves me wrong, oh well. Sports is about being in the moment and that's what i'm going to do for good or for bad.

pbmax
01-20-2011, 05:22 PM
I am with the Mailman. It would stink that for the second time, with a wide open field, the Packers failed to capitalize on a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

But even more than 2007, McCarthy, despite his flaws and penchant for long FGs, demonstrated that he can command a locker room and keep his team focused during a season of significant turmoil. That is further confirmation that he is the correct coach.

But a group only gets so many shots, so a loss would also have me calculating how many more legit years are left and then counting down. I don't want to do that. First of all, many of the better players are very young, but losing a few vets could change the dynamic. I am not sure that would happen, and think this year might demonstrate that the Packers Org has the wherewithal to carry on and replace the pieces like the Steelers.

But I would prefer to take advantage of the opportunity that presents itself.

denverYooper
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
The Packers won't lose.

Lurker64
01-20-2011, 06:32 PM
The Packers won't lose.

I'm not sure which is more a jinx: "how would you feel if they lose" or "there's no way they can lose". Either way, this thread is bad mojo.

Bossman641
01-20-2011, 06:37 PM
83 starter games lost, 2nd most in the leage, according to FO. (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fo-espn-feature-columns/2011/espn-starter-games-lost-and-packers)

Notice that the Bears are tied for least starter games lost, with 11.

I saw the same article and think the article is wrong. They only count 5 starters lost, leaving out Brad Jones. Everywhere else I have seen the number quoted at 91 I believe.

And yes, this thread is BAD mojo.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Rodgers talked about before games he sees himself making throws and then goes out and does it. Lets think positive the whole game and God willing we will win!

denverYooper
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure which is more a jinx: "how would you feel if they lose" or "there's no way they can lose". Either way, this thread is bad mojo.

Not saying there is no way they can lose, just saying they won't.

Besides, Bretsky starting a "what if they lose?" thread can't be that bad.

MadtownPacker
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
First, the Bears are good and could win. They have the leagues best special teams and a top tier defense. On top of that, they have a solid running game and a decent overall offense. And to top it off, if they need a 2 minute drive, they have an extremely talented QB who could have one amazing drive. He's done it before.

So there is a very real possibility that we lose to one of the best teams in the NFL. If it happens, well, we're probably going fly off the F'in hook. Someone will have made a mistake, be it MM, JJ or anyone else. There is no way we sit here and talk about how wonderful the season was. Some Bear player is going to cheap shot one of our guys. Some ref is going to make a bogus call. If we lose, it's not going to be pretty. And I don't much care if it's overreaction. This place is starting to suck because people are afraid to go out on limbs and express themselves. Screw that. I'll start by being the biggest idiot in the room and if time proves me wrong, oh well. Sports is about being in the moment and that's what i'm going to do for good or for bad.Dont be a dumbass. There is greatness to be missed in losing this game, I agree. That's only because of what it is. PACKERS vs BEAR for a chance at the SB. One of the NFL's elite dream matchups. Goodell probably piss himself with joy at the thought of the ratings. The impressive victories over PHI and ATL have removed any stress I had about this season. It has been a great run and if is meant to end at Chicago Sunday I can say that they got further than expected. I just wanted to see a playoff win. I got to see two. I will be greatly disappointed but I wont be mad. No reason for us to riot.

As long as JJ doesnt fumble at the end. :lol:

Pugger
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
I think if it was any other NFC team (except the Vikings), I could stomach losing after a week or so. But the Bears? That's something else entirely.

This. :-|

MJZiggy
01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm extremely proud of my boys. If they win, it would be more than I dreamed would happen since Jolly got suspended. Every adversity has made them stronger. If they lose this game, I may need to be sedated for a bit, but when I come off the meds, I will remember what I just wrote and go back to being damn proud of my boys. Stellar work this year, but we're not done yet. "We got 8 quarters done, 8 quarters to go..."

Bretsky
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
This is more than a game. This is more than a season. The winner gets eternal bragging rights over it's rival. I mean forever. We could sweep the Bears next season and the season after that and the next 10 that follow and it wouldn't mean a thing if we lose this Sunday. They're still the better franchise if they beat us in the one and only game of this caliber in which we square off against one another. To me and many other fans on both sides of the border this game is bigger than the Super Bowl. So it's personal, as personal as it can get for a fan. We CANNOT lose this game.

This was posted by Gunakor behind the blog and it sums up my feeling exactly as well.
We CAN NOT lose this game

Not making the playoffs and getting the 25 pick in the draft and all our healthy players back next year may be better than having to live the rest of our lives knowing
we let the Dam Bears eliminate us and then we have to watch them in the Super Bowl

It's a memory the rest of our lives.

Infinitely Negative Trauma !!!

Tarlam!
01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
I think I've learned an important lesson this season; that one guy doesn't necessarily make or break a season. I, hohum, said McCarthy wasn't the man to get us over the hump but he's not that important to the success of the Packers but nonetheless important. Yet with that said, I couldn't possibly imagine Packers winning the Lombardi Trophy without Aaron Rodgers or maybe even Clay Matthews.

You may still prove to be right. The Packers haven't won anything yet, so you'LL get to crow "I told ya so" with a loss.

Unlike you, I believe M3 has made a huge difference to this team. Under his leadership, Dom Capers has excelled despit starting the season with a different set of faces. The head coach is responsible for good relations with the coodinaters, and clearly, Dom is a man long in the tooth. You don't just call and command that type of personality.

Next, M3 has to restructure his attack; it was absolutely clear that the offensive feature was Finley. So much so, I was rimended of the "Boobie Miles" scenario from Friday Night Lights. M3 achieved the restructuring despite having no security blankett in Ryan Grant after he was lost in game 1.

Finally, any part of the team could have folded at any time. They could have mentally resigned the season to the books and waited for next season to go all out. Lord knows they had plenty of excuses with all the injuries - we fans gave them a free pass to fail miserably!

But M3 kept the ship sailing and (I'm oviously guessing here) led by example. Publicly, he never once used injury as an excuse. Privately, he must have had his doubts, otherwise he arrogant or stupid. I don't think he's either, personally.

Sure he made some bad calls, sure we fans question what Slocum and Campen actually do for the team. Let's remember, though, that Slocum has a tougher job than any, because he's replacing ST players from both sides of the ball, so his teams are hit worse than Dom's or Philbin's.

You might point to Rodgers and CMIII as being the saviours of the season and that's legitimate, but they needed to be coached and put in a system whereby they can be successful, don't they?

Indeed, when I add all this up, I perceive a HC that made all the difference in the world to this season's success.

mission
01-20-2011, 11:19 PM
This is more than a game. This is more than a season. The winner gets eternal bragging rights over it's rival. I mean forever. We could sweep the Bears next season and the season after that and the next 10 that follow and it wouldn't mean a thing if we lose this Sunday. They're still the better franchise if they beat us in the one and only game of this caliber in which we square off against one another. To me and many other fans on both sides of the border this game is bigger than the Super Bowl. So it's personal, as personal as it can get for a fan. We CANNOT lose this game.

This was posted by Gunakor behind the blog and it sums up my feeling exactly as well.
We CAN NOT lose this game

Not making the playoffs and getting the 25 pick in the draft and all our healthy players back next year may be better than having to live the rest of our lives knowing
we let the Dam Bears eliminate us and then we have to watch them in the Super Bowl

It's a memory the rest of our lives.

Infinitely Negative Trauma !!!

Damn bro...

I wasn't nervous or anything.

australianpackerbacker
01-21-2011, 04:04 AM
When i watch the Bears play this year, with all the unimaginable luck they have had this year to even get to the NFC Championship, it honestly really reminds me of the 2007 Packers. EVERYTHING went our way that season, we had all the bounces of the ball go our way, and to be completley honest we werent a very good team at the start of the year in '07, much like the Bears were this year, they looked like they could lose to almost anyone, Seattle for example, and then the Patriot demolition at Soldier Field. But somehow they started playing better in all facets of the game, we couldnt run the ball in 07 until towards the second half of the season, same with the Bears, they didnt really establish anything until the second half. But once they created some consistency, they were able to balance their game a whole lot more, coupled with a few lucky breaks here and their, like the Packers losing to the Lions, Redskins and Dolphins.

What im trying to say is, these guys are like the 2007 Packers and the 2010 Falcons to an extent, they are pretenders who have had a lot of bounces go their way, but like all pretenders they will be revealed for what they are, we have far too much talent to lose this game, special teams isnt going to decide this game, not in the weather we will be expecting down their. There is no chance we lose this game, because we are the 2007 Giants.

packrulz
01-21-2011, 05:54 AM
I prefer to see the glass as half full, think of how great it would feel to beat da Bears and step over them on the way to the Super Bowl. I would've felt a letdown if the Packers had ended up playing the Sea-hags. All the games will be tough now, time to rise to the occasion.

MichiganPackerFan
01-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Dont be a dumbass. There is greatness to be missed in losing this game, I agree. That's only because of what it is. PACKERS vs BEAR for a chance at the SB. One of the NFL's elite dream matchups. Goodell probably piss himself with joy at the thought of the ratings. The impressive victories over PHI and ATL have removed any stress I had about this season. It has been a great run and if is meant to end at Chicago Sunday I can say that they got further than expected. I just wanted to see a playoff win. I got to see two. I will be greatly disappointed but I wont be mad. No reason for us to riot.

As long as JJ doesnt fumble at the end. :lol:

As much as it horrifies me to say this: Madtown, the voice of reason.

mmmdk
01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
You may still prove to be right. The Packers haven't won anything yet, so you'LL get to crow "I told ya so" with a loss.

Unlike you, I believe M3 has made a huge difference to this team. Under his leadership, Dom Capers has excelled despit starting the season with a different set of faces. The head coach is responsible for good relations with the coodinaters, and clearly, Dom is a man long in the tooth. You don't just call and command that type of personality.

Next, M3 has to restructure his attack; it was absolutely clear that the offensive feature was Finley. So much so, I was rimended of the "Boobie Miles" scenario from Friday Night Lights. M3 achieved the restructuring despite having no security blankett in Ryan Grant after he was lost in game 1.

Finally, any part of the team could have folded at any time. They could have mentally resigned the season to the books and waited for next season to go all out. Lord knows they had plenty of excuses with all the injuries - we fans gave them a free pass to fail miserably!
But M3 kept the ship sailing and (I'm oviously guessing here) led by example. Publicly, he never once used injury as an excuse. Privately, he must have had his doubts, otherwise he arrogant or stupid. I don't think he's either, personally.

Sure he made some bad calls, sure we fans question what Slocum and Campen actually do for the team. Let's remember, though, that Slocum has a tougher job than any, because he's replacing ST players from both sides of the ball, so his teams are hit worse than Dom's or Philbin's.

You might point to Rodgers and CMIII as being the saviours of the season and that's legitimate, but they needed to be coached and put in a system whereby they can be successful, don't they?

Indeed, when I add all this up, I perceive a HC that made all the difference in the world to this season's success.

The fact that McCarthy never used injuries as an excuse is one thing I've commended NUMEROUS times on PR; and why should he? Packers lost a bundle of solid player, a big bundle, yet I believe Rodgers, GJ, DD, Sitton, Clifton, Kuhn, Stark (new shockongly productive starter), Chuck, Tramon, Collins, Peprah (new starter), Clay, Bishop, Hawk, Holden (new guy), BJ Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Green (new guy) & a solid punter in Mashtay are still playing??? Or Am I missing something.

What the injurries did was force McCarthy to think outside the box as 2 good players in Finley & Grant were lost. Only derailed Packer fans think that Batman/Finley & Robin/Grant would rule the NFL. TT found guys and McCarthy acknowledged that promtly. If McCarthy thought we were done/couldn't win due to these (specifically) injuries then he would be beyond stupid - he'd been kicked into the gutter before anyone could utter "fix it"!

Packers has a GM that cares about winning; and we're damned lucky that our players do too - this could be the product of the Packer people pedigree and the coaches are a big part of that as well.

McCarthy is no Bill Walsh and Aaron Rodgers no Joe Montana but this team will come to play, play to win...it all.

Tarlam!
01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Michael, I have no idea what your rant is supposed to be a position on. I stated in my post clearly that IMO, M3 has done an outstanding job, whereas you have continually maintained he has not. Recently, you've been generous enough to acknowledge that he's learning and improving, but you also state he's less responsible than the players for the team's success. Funny, you still give him the responsibilty for any failure.

How can we possibly know if M3 is no Walsh? Rodgers no Montana? Are you saying that unless a HC wins 3 SB over an 8 year period, he's no Walsh? Guess what, TT hasn't won any SB either, but we see how great he is at putting together a team. Having said that, did M3 have this depth even last year? Should we blame TT for that? The OL still sucks. TT again?

I love your enthusiasm, mate, but I just don't see where you're coming from sometimes.

denverYooper
01-21-2011, 02:37 PM
When i watch the Bears play this year, with all the unimaginable luck they have had this year to even get to the NFC Championship, it honestly really reminds me of the 2007 Packers. EVERYTHING went our way that season, we had all the bounces of the ball go our way, and to be completley honest we werent a very good team at the start of the year in '07, much like the Bears were this year, they looked like they could lose to almost anyone, Seattle for example, and then the Patriot demolition at Soldier Field. But somehow they started playing better in all facets of the game, we couldnt run the ball in 07 until towards the second half of the season, same with the Bears, they didnt really establish anything until the second half. But once they created some consistency, they were able to balance their game a whole lot more, coupled with a few lucky breaks here and their, like the Packers losing to the Lions, Redskins and Dolphins.

What im trying to say is, these guys are like the 2007 Packers and the 2010 Falcons to an extent, they are pretenders who have had a lot of bounces go their way, but like all pretenders they will be revealed for what they are, we have far too much talent to lose this game, special teams isnt going to decide this game, not in the weather we will be expecting down their. There is no chance we lose this game, because we are the 2007 Giants.

That '07 GB team got a lot of breaks in the NFCCG also. Despite looking whipped all day they took it to OT.

Fritz
01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I feel like kicking Kurt Schottenheimer.

bobblehead
01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
I read the most interesting thing under a JS article the other day. If Calvin Johnson doesn't let go of that ball getting up, leading to the ridiculous call of no TD the bears miss the playoffs. We win the North and they lose the tiebreaker to the Giants. I guess you can apply that to any number of things that worked in their favor the entire way, but they were that close to missing the playoffs entirely.

bobblehead
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Well said. I have said all along the players (all the players) will determine the games and coaches can lose them, but rarely win them. If your team relies on one player (other than QB) so much that they can't fade losing him then it isn't that great of a team. Pass rushers are second most important in the equation, so yea, losing Mathews would be huge. Bottom line though, teams win and lose. Fading an injury or 2 is almost a necessity. Fading 6 starters and 10 backups is just silly.

Inigo....I hope we win. - Andre the Giant

swede
01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I read the most interesting thing under a JS article the other day. If Calvin Johnson doesn't let go of that ball getting up, leading to the ridiculous call of no TD the bears miss the playoffs. We win the North and they lose the tiebreaker to the Giants. I guess you can apply that to any number of things that worked in their favor the entire way, but they were that close to missing the playoffs entirely.

Well. we have a couple ways we could fix this.

Superman could fly backwards around the world really fast until time went back far enough to allow him to kick Calvin Johnson in the butt at half time and tell him to hang onto the ball.

The Enterprise could slide through a wormhole and correct an error from the future in which the Bears won the NFC North in 2010, an error which led to fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... and mass hysteria!

Or Green Bay can kick Bear ass all over the field on Sunday and win the game going away.

AtlPackFan
01-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I know this isn't going to sit well with a lot of you but I would rather lose this week to the Bears than to have lost last week to the Falcons. Maybe its living here the past 15 years, watching the most fair weather fans I have ever witnessed (at least with professional sports) and then to have to listen to their superiority complex. Sorry Mission - not including you in that as I know you are an ardent Braves fan - but that is what I have experienced. Also, I guess being 15 years removed from living close to the FIB border I have lost some of my animosity toward the FIBs.

All that said, if they lose, I will be disappointed but not crushed. I picked them to go 9-7 and out of the playoffs before the injuries happened (shows what I know) so this playoff run -especially the win over the Falcons - has been a bonus for me.

But their not going to lose! Bear beat down commences in about 47 hours! Go Pack!!!

bobblehead
01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Well. we have a couple ways we could fix this.

Superman could fly backwards around the world really fast until time went back far enough to allow him to kick Calvin Johnson in the butt at half time and tell him to hang onto the ball.

The Enterprise could slide through a wormhole and correct an error from the future in which the Bears won the NFC North in 2010, an error which led to fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... and mass hysteria!

Or Green Bay can kick Bear ass all over the field on Sunday and win the game going away.
I'll take option 3 for $1000 Alex.

Noodle
01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
That's kind of an interesting question, APF, which would have stung the most -- losing to the:

Iggles (yeah, kinda bad because then there would have been the BS "ARod can't win a playoff game" shite, but kinda ok because I was amazed the Pack made the playoffs with all the injuries);
the Falcons (not too bad for me, we'd have won a playoff game the previous week, I don't hate the Falcons, and we'd have the built-in excuse that ATL almost never loses at home);
or the Bears (the absolute worse thing, can't stand 'em, and wouldn't be able to stand having to get ripped for the next 40 years of my existence by Bears fans).

Smidgeon
01-21-2011, 04:14 PM
That's kind of an interesting question, APF, which would have stung the most -- losing to the:

Iggles (yeah, kinda bad because then there would have been the BS "ARod can't win a playoff game" shite, but kinda ok because I was amazed the Pack made the playoffs with all the injuries);
the Falcons (not too bad for me, we'd have won a playoff game the previous week, I don't hate the Falcons, and we'd have the built-in excuse that ATL almost never loses at home);
or the Bears (the absolute worse thing, can't stand 'em, and wouldn't be able to stand having to get ripped for the next 40 years of my existence by Bears fans).

It is kind of ironic that because it's the Bears, people and fans (definitely including me) would rather see one fewer playoff victory (i.e. lose to the Falcons) than to see the Packers lose to the Bears...

AtlPackFan
01-21-2011, 04:33 PM
It is kind of ironic that because it's the Bears, people and fans (definitely including me) would rather see one fewer playoff victory (i.e. lose to the Falcons) than to see the Packers lose to the Bears...

I would have rather been dipped naked in hot tar, rolled in shit-covered pigeon feathers and dropped on Peachtree Street during rush hour than have lost to the Falcons.

Smidgeon
01-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I would have rather been dipped naked in hot tar, rolled in shit-covered pigeon feathers and dropped on Peachtree Street during rush hour than have lost to the Falcons.

Okay, okay. Except for you, who has a perfectly legitimate reason living near ATL.

mmmdk
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Michael, I have no idea what your rant is supposed to be a position on. I stated in my post clearly that IMO, M3 has done an outstanding job, whereas you have continually maintained he has not. Recently, you've been generous enough to acknowledge that he's learning and improving, but you also state he's less responsible than the players for the team's success. Funny, you still give him the responsibilty for any failure.

How can we possibly know if M3 is no Walsh? Rodgers no Montana? Are you saying that unless a HC wins 3 SB over an 8 year period, he's no Walsh? Guess what, TT hasn't won any SB either, but we see how great he is at putting together a team. Having said that, did M3 have this depth even last year? Should we blame TT for that? The OL still sucks. TT again?

I love your enthusiasm, mate, but I just don't see where you're coming from sometimes.

Maybe so, Tar, but you weren't my target - you just struck a train of thought (of mine) as many PR people whined about injuries were putting Packers down this season. I've said BS :bs2: on the injury card all season. I whined about Stubby; I think we all knew/know that this season is up for grabs and that's a biggie when you're as talented as Packers are. A big whiney choir all together.

I wish I could have stayed online after my post that befuddled you, Tar, and kept my train thought on track. But I'm a one line monster poster here at PR...always somethings draws me away from consecutive long posts....but that's, somehow, a good thing in my life! :smile:

BTW: I love your enthusiasm too, mate!

mmmdk
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Well said. I have said all along the players (all the players) will determine the games and coaches can lose them, but rarely win them. If your team relies on one player (other than QB) so much that they can't fade losing him then it isn't that great of a team. Pass rushers are second most important in the equation, so yea, losing Mathews would be huge. Bottom line though, teams win and lose. Fading an injury or 2 is almost a necessity. Fading 6 starters and 10 backups is just silly.

Inigo....I hope we win. - Andre the Giant

Thank you! I want nothing more than all PRs to feel the joy of beating the Bears tomorrow. East coast next.

Nota bene, bobble, what's with injury thingy here!? :lol: We're about to beat the Bears for a super bowl trip'n'win!!!

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Most of you will be suprised but I am slightly pulling for the Packers. It really is a no lose situation for me. Personally I want the team to win, because I like the makeup of Packers, If they lose I can see Packer Fan(atics) lose their shit and make complete asses of themselves.

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Most of you will be suprised but I am slightly pulling for the Packers. It really is a no lose situation for me. Personally I want the team to win, because I like the makeup of Packers, If they lose I can see Packer Fan(atics) lose their shit and make complete asses of themselves.

Are you still bitter with the organization and fans despite how things have turned out since the split? Even gex and some other big-time Favre ball washers seem to be coming around a bit.

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Am I bitter, probably will always be bitter to a certain extent, but I have only wanted the Packers to lose 4 games in my whole life and that was last year and this year against Favre. I currently just care less if the Packers win or lose, and try to watch the game without bias which seems to work out very well for all sports in my life. I love sports but I refuse to allow sports to consume me on an emotional level any more.

All us Favre fans knew it was going to come to an end in most likely a horrible fashion, ala 2010. He shouldn't have come back but he did. He didn't play with the passion game in and game out. I don't think he prepared like he has in the past. The season was poorly handled by the Vikings as a whole. They should have left Favre alone, and Favre should have commited to retirement. He wasn't ready to play, emotionally, mentally, or physically.

I have always liked Aaron Rodgers, he is a stand up guy on the field, and we can only assume he is a decent guy off the field as well. Rodgers has turned himself into a fantastic QB with a lot of hard work, dedication, and mix of talent, I wish him nothing but the best along with the rest of the Packers team.

Mike McCarthy has come a long way as a coach, out of spite I hope he demands the GM job along with his head coaching duties and Thompson gets his ass thrown out of town.

Speaking of Thompson, he is a damn good personel man, he has done a very good job with this roster, dealing with the injuries early in the season and having faith in his roster of young talent. Sammy Shields is all the proof you need to know that Thompson knows what he is doing when evaluating talent, and how that talent translate to the field.

pbmax
01-22-2011, 08:15 PM

Pshaw. That will happen inside two minutes after kickoff in the Game thread tomorrow. :)

The Game Day thread is like texting with your 20 of your buddies while skydiving and no one's parachute is working. Occasional remarks about the splendid view surrounded by sheer terror and panic.

More important: is Superfan joining the Wallbanger house hold for festivities tomorrow?

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Am I bitter, probably will always be bitter to a certain extent, but I have only wanted the Packers to lose 4 games in my whole life and that was last year and this year against Favre. I currently just care less if the Packers win or lose, and try to watch the game without bias which seems to work out very well for all sports in my life. I love sports but I refuse to allow sports to consume me on an emotional level any more.

All us Favre fans knew it was going to come to an end in most likely a horrible fashion, ala 2010. He shouldn't have come back but he did. He didn't play with the passion game in and game out. I don't think he prepared like he has in the past. The season was poorly handled by the Vikings as a whole. They should have left Favre alone, and Favre should have commited to retirement. He wasn't ready to play, emotionally, mentally, or physically.

I have always liked Aaron Rodgers, he is a stand up guy on the field, and we can only assume he is a decent guy off the field as well. Rodgers has turned himself into a fantastic QB with a lot of hard work, dedication, and mix of talent, I wish him nothing but the best along with the rest of the Packers team.

Mike McCarthy has come a long way as a coach, out of spite I hope he demands the GM job along with his head coaching duties and Thompson gets his ass thrown out of town.

Speaking of Thompson, he is a damn good personel man, he has done a very good job with this roster, dealing with the injuries early in the season and having faith in his roster of young talent. Sammy Shields is all the proof you need to know that Thompson knows what he is doing when evaluating talent, and how that talent translate to the field.

Alright. Now that it's off your chest, welcome back. Let's go root for the Packers. Maybe you can return to the days when you'd toss something at the big screen. :)

Freak Out
01-22-2011, 10:04 PM
I've never met Nutz but I just can't believe he's not rooting for the Packers.

Joemailman
01-22-2011, 11:01 PM

So let me get this straight. You knew all along that Favre would crash and burn and bring a team down with him. You're bitter at TT because he made sure the Packers weren't that team?

MJZiggy
01-23-2011, 05:41 AM
I've never met Nutz but I just can't believe he's not rooting for the Packers.

I have met Nutz and I just can't believe he's not rooting for the Packers.

mmmdk
01-23-2011, 06:10 AM
I have met Nutz and I just can't believe he's not rooting for the Packers.

Nutz doesn't feel that the Packers has been the Brett & butter of things lately! :smile:

bobblehead
01-23-2011, 09:45 AM
I think in time Nutz will come around. It might take a few years, but it will happen.

Fritz
01-23-2011, 10:20 AM
If they loseI can see Packer Fan(atics) lose their shit and make complete asses of themselves.

I have found that it does not take a Packer loss for this to happen. Sometimes it even happens after wins.

Pugger
01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
There are folks like Nutz who will NEVER forgive TT/MM/Murphy for trading Favre to NY even if this regime wins a Super Bowl. I find this attitude rather sad, frankly.

Tarlam!
01-23-2011, 12:37 PM
There are folks like Nutz who will NEVER forgive TT/MM/Murphy for trading Favre to NY even if this regime wins a Super Bowl. I find this attitude rather sad, frankly.

On the other hand Nutz, is the best friend you're ever likely to have if he is as loyal to his pals as he is to his heros/idols, don't you think? What saddens me is that he's obviously hurting still. I, too, have met Nutz, and at that time he bled G&G.

So Nutz has not only lost having his favourite player line up each week, he was also forced to watch said player self destruct and become the village idiot - and if that's not enough, he also lost the Pack in the deal.

If you knew the guy you'd be saddened by how deeply this has taken him aback. Well, I am.

Brando19
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Poor Nutz....he can suck my nuts.

Deputy Nutz
01-23-2011, 03:21 PM
So let me get this straight. You knew all along that Favre would crash and burn and bring a team down with him. You're bitter at TT because he made sure the Packers weren't that team?

Well eventually his age was going to catch up to him and with most NFL teams if the QB is playing poorly the team plays poor. I think the Vikings were a disfunctual team from the start Favre was just part of that. Chilly lost his team, the offensive line sucked, and the defense had issues with health and failure to perform up to the standard of 2009. When ever a coach gets fired mid season you know the team has real issues and you can't blame Favre for all of it.

Favre being traded in 2008 was the best thing long term for the Packers and the people of Wisconsin are seeing that first hand in 2010-11. I never argued that and I challenge anyone to find when and where I said that.