PDA

View Full Version : What peeps are saying in your neck of the woods

MadtownPacker
01-20-2011, 07:42 PM
As some of you know I live in Cali and believe it or not there are lots of bears fans out here. I guess the superbowl shuffle was real popular with Mexicans cuz just about all of them are and they are usually ghetto as fuck. They have been flagging their colors more and more as of late. I wear my shit year round so I will always have my hat if no shirt or sweater. So when I see someone sporting bears gear I have been talking trash.

Example, I was walking into the garden center of a Walmart and their was one paying at the register. I immediately pointed at him and said "you guys are gonna lose". He laughed and said "we'll see". His friend next to him laughed and said "he told you!". It was all good fun but I really do feel some anger towards them like I want their hearts to get crushed on Sunday. I just can't stand the thought of a lost. This is history. Odds are good it never happens in some of our lifetimes again. This game kinda means more than the SB IMO. Everyone in Cali that I talk to seems to agree. Today I wore my green polo with the logo and team name on on the upper left, right over the heart. About 95% of the people I spoke to talked about the game and how they think the Pack will win. Only the bears fans said different. This match has even got everyone hyped out here in CA and thinking it is going to be a classic.

Whats the word around your spot for those outside the Midwest?

Pugger
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Most folks I talk to down here, even MN fans, are rooting for the Packers to beat the bares. Only bare fans here are hoping Chicago wins this game.

superfan
01-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Nice post Mad.

Besides the several hundred thousand or so excited Packer fans in the Twin Cities, I haven't personally heard a whole lot about this game. I've never seen such an abrupt transition from the Vikings to the Twins. :twisted:

mission
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Seems like the Falcons folks I know are now on the Pack bandwagon. Only makes sense if you ask me. :)

bobblehead
01-20-2011, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=MadtownPacker;568867]
Example, I was walking into the garden center of a Walmart /QUOTE]

Heh, I can't believe nobody capitalized on this beautiful racial stereotype you threw out there.

mission
01-20-2011, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=MadtownPacker;568867]
Example, I was walking into the garden center of a Walmart /QUOTE]

Heh, I can't believe nobody capitalized on this beautiful racial stereotype you threw out there.

You didn't give 'em enough time! :P

MJZiggy
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Out here everyone says it's gonna be epic and all my Ravens fans have thrown their loyalty behind GB--including the news anchor on TV last night. The Post is writing about the significance of the game as well as the daily version you get on the train. The local news radio station wants the Pack to win (at least those who are willing to talk about it). Now that I mention it, there's only one person I've talked to who even mentioned rooting for the Bears, but he's like 75 and switched his loyalty to the Redskins a couple decades ago. My neighbors are from Wis. and half of my kid's clothes are Packer gear hand me downs from them. There are several Pack families in the neighborhood as well.

Tony Oday
01-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Im in MN and most want the Pack to lose...they would rather hear of us losing because well they are Viking Fans and dumb

Freak Out
01-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I know a couple of Bear fans and they are worried. I flip them a little shit but I'm not to hard on them.....yet. This is an epic game...a once in a lifetime battle for a trip to the SB.

pbmax
01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I sense more trepidation this week than last. Most fans here wanted last week to go faster. Now, I think the possibility of having the season ended by a rival is daunting.

Joemailman
01-20-2011, 09:26 PM
It's worst for the Illinois Packer fans, including many members of my family. If the Packers lose, they have to put up with Bear fans everywhere they turn. On the other hand, if the Packers win, nobody will enjoy it more than them.

Bretsky
01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
my friends in NY are NFC fans and are rooting for the Pack

They give the Bears absolutely no chance to beat the Steelers and little chance to beat the Jets again

They think Pack vs Pitt is a toss up and Pack should beat the Jets

CaptainKickass
01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
This is history. Odds are good it never happens in some of our lifetimes again. This game kinda means more than the SB IMO.

Well written Mad. I've been saying this since I knew what the matchup would be.

Example, I was walking into the garden center of a Walmart

That's because we usually wait for Madtown to do it.

It's worst for the Illinois Packer fans, if the Packers win, nobody will enjoy it more than them.

I sure hope it goes the Pack's way.

I live in Seattle. All mt friends know I fly the Green and Gold hardcore. They're all on "my" side. On the other hand, I got turned down for a gig the other day. I firmly believe it was because the promoter was a Bears fan.

pbmax
01-20-2011, 11:05 PM
It's worst for the Illinois Packer fans, including many members of my family. If the Packers lose, they have to put up with Bear fans everywhere they turn. On the other hand, if the Packers win, nobody will enjoy it more than them.

Tell to go out and... win one for the diaspora.

Bossman641
01-20-2011, 11:06 PM

X1000

I hate it. Packers lose and I will be hearing it from everyone.

pbmax
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
A son and his father, an evening conversation:

Dad: So is it Packer day at school tomorrow? Are you supposed to wear Packer colors?

Son: No, its 80s day tomorrow. We need to wear something from that decade.

Dad: You know, I have a Reggie White jersey. He played in the 80s.

Son: Walks away, slowly shaking his head...

One of us is not getting the point :)

mission
01-20-2011, 11:18 PM

Dad: So is it Packer day at school tomorrow? Are you supposed to wear Packer colors?

Made me chuckle!! Nice one! :)

jpompo
01-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Chicago: fans are cautiously optimistic. They are trying to think of any advantages they have and talking about them every minute of every day. I'll be representing at soldier Sunday.

Tarlam!
01-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Zee Chermans are, ov coarse, all for zee Päckerrrrz, it coot bee no uzza vay! Vot a stewpid kvestion!!!!

Bossman641
01-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Bear fans I have talked to keep talking about their defense and how they think they can slow down Rodgers while basically ignoring the entire other side of the ball. I think they may be in for a shock Sunday. The Packers have proven that when they play to stop the run they can. Raji should be huge this game as neither Williams or Kreutz will be able to stop him.

CaptainKickass
01-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Zee Chermans are, ov coarse, all for zee Päckerrrrz, it coot bee no uzza vay! Vot a stewpid kvestion!!!!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/sweetlittlesister55/KilnkandSchultz.jpg

wootah
01-21-2011, 03:30 AM
The Belgians don't know what 'quarterback' means and think the game is called "rugby". But if they find out the Germans root for the Packers, they'll surely root for their opponents. Keep it quiet, Tar...

Iron Mike
01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
The Belgians don't know what 'quarterback' means and think the game is called "rugby". But if they find out the Germans root for the Packers, they'll surely root for their opponents. Keep it quiet, Tar...

Their Wisconsin relatives need to reach out to them, then.....

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/WI/subcollections/BelgAmrColAbout.html

wootah
01-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Their Wisconsin relatives need to reach out to them, then.....

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/WI/subcollections/BelgAmrColAbout.html

The sport is completely unknown here. People don't know the rules and there's hardly any reporting on it. In a week or 2 there'll probably be a small article noting that the viewing records were broken for the latest Superbowl and that the half-time commercials were funny and expensive.

The founder of the Packers was of Belgian descent, by the way. They named a certain stadium after him.

Fritz
01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Here in Detroit the talking heads are gushing over Aaron Rodgers as the difference-maker. I know one native Chicagoan, big Bear fan, but he won't say much. I think he's pinning his hopes on Hester and the defense.

swede
01-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I think Hester, the quality of the Bear defense, and the string of blind luck incidents and situations that have gone the Bears' way this season--including the possibility that the weather will favor the Bears on Sunday--have everyone I talk to on edge and the suspense is killer. That negative stuff is in the front of my mind. In the back of my mind is the shameful realization that this team is good, it has endured, it has overcome, it is on a mission, and I am not believing in this team the way I should be believing in them.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, maxi mea culpa.

mraynrand
01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeesus, ya godda no dat Hester iz gunna run baak ad leest toow kicks for Tee Dees! And dats jus in da ferst haf!!

http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/swerski.jpg

pittstang5
01-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Living outside of Philly, people are still talking about the Eagles loss. Mostly everyone now is calling for Reid's head or speculating on the next D-coordinator. A lot of people around here are thinking Philly might go to a 3-4 or hybrid. Not too many people in Philly care much about football once the Eagles are eliminated. They're now focused on the Flyers and spring training for the Phillies.

Anyone else get this feeling: If the Packers would have loss to the Falcons, it'd have been ok. Sure, a loss hurts, but heck, the Falcons are a very good team and the Packers had a great run. Now that they're playing the Bears...it just feels like, if they don't win, how can life go on.

bobblehead
01-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I sense more trepidation this week than last. Most fans here wanted last week to go faster. Now, I think the possibility of having the season ended by a rival is daunting.

this is me to an extent. I really cringe at the thought that we could lose this game. It would be unbearable (pardon the pun).

Willard
01-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Checking in from the SF Bay Area. There are a ton of Bear fans in my area----Cal Bear fans that is, and they love them some Aaron Rodgers and Desmond Bishop! Since there isn't a professional football team in NorCal many locals have jumped on the Pack bandwagon. I do have a $1 bet on the game with a misguided co-worker (probably abused as a child). I am perusing the McD's Value Menu as we speak to determine how I will spend my winnings. Go Pack! I'm hungry!

mission
01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Checking in from the SF Bay Area. There are a ton of Bear fans in my area----Cal Bear fans that is, and they love them some Aaron Rodgers and Desmond Bishop! Since there isn't a professional football team in NorCal many locals have jumped on the Pack bandwagon. I do have a $1 bet on the game with a misguided co-worker (probably abused as a child). I am perusing the McD's Value Menu as we speak to determine how I will spend my winnings. Go Pack! I'm hungry!

49ers and Raiders aren't considered Norcal? Or do you guys try to separate the Bay from Norcal somehow?

Willard
01-21-2011, 10:04 AM
49ers and Raiders aren't considered Norcal? Or do you guys try to separate the Bay from Norcal somehow?

I said "professional football". The local teams are semi-pro at best!

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Funny. I'd go with the McDouble.

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Peeps are too cold to say anything. It was -22 last night. I wonder if there's any chance of this weather hitting Chicago around Sunday afternoon. That would be brutal.

Freak Out
01-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Peeps are too cold to say anything. It was -22 last night. I wonder if there's any chance of this weather hitting Chicago around Sunday afternoon. That would be brutal.

I feel for you man.....we just warmed up after a few weeks of brutal cold. +20 now. :)

On another note...I just realized my wife donated a huge box of winter gear to the Salvation Army recently...including my two winter Packers hats! At first I was bummed and thought she would bring down the wrath of the football gods on us but have since decide it's good for the team. Those hats will make great recruiting tools. :)

AtlPackFan
01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Seems like the Falcons folks I know are now on the Pack bandwagon. Only makes sense if you ask me. :) I'm getting the opposite reaction from the Falcon fans I have spoke too...hate the Pack for beating their beloved Falcons and say they will be Bear fans on Sunday. Losers! :-)

Cheesehead Craig
01-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice post Mad.

Besides the several hundred thousand or so excited Packer fans in the Twin Cities, I haven't personally heard a whole lot about this game. I've never seen such an abrupt transition from the Vikings to the Twins. :twisted:

Agree with superfan. Most Viking fans don't want to even talk about the playoff run the Packers have had or the game Sunday. It's like the playoffs don't exist here in MN for them.

I know two things for sure, if the Pack lose to the Bears, they will come out of the woodwork about how they knew the Pack would lose and how embarassed they should be for losing to the Bears and that in the end their season ended just how the Vikes did...

And if the Pack win, it's that the Bears weren't any good anyways and just had a lucky, fluky season and that the Pack are the worst NFC SB representative in the last decade.

But whatever helps them sleep at night.

Bossman641
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm 20 miles west of Chicago. We got the really cold stuff this morning too. Supposed to be cold tomorrow as well, highs in the single digits and then in the teens and low 20's Sunday.

Freak Out
01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
So far in the ongoing informal polling I'm conducting here in Anchorage (customers, contractors, neighbors and strangers etc...) it's split down the middle, with a couple of "leave me alone asshole" for good measure.

retailguy
01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
"leave me alone asshole"

Wow. They know you pretty well up there.... ;)

red
01-21-2011, 05:51 PM

what is that, germlish?

or do i just understand so much of it because of my heritage?

MJZiggy
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM

The kid should be shaking his head. Reggie didn't join the Pack until 1993...

BallHawk
01-21-2011, 07:29 PM
As people have already said, down here in SW Florida nobody is going for the Bears except Bears fans. It's really crazy how positive of a force Aaron has been for this team and franchise as a whole. I can't count the number of "I'm not a fan of either team, but I like Aaron Rodgers so I'm rooting for the Pack". You didn't find that with Favre because of the amount of overblown media-gushing and dramatics. If A-Rod keeps up this play though, it'll go the exact same way for him too (more so than it has been this week). But even then, you can't hate Aaron. There's nothing to hate.

MadtownPacker
01-21-2011, 07:50 PM
49ers and Raiders aren't considered Norcal? Or do you guys try to separate the Bay from Norcal somehow?I would say yes. The Bay area is raiders and 49ers for sure but I dont really consider that NorCal. That would be more like where Rodgers is from (up toward Sacramento area). Here in central CA raiders are the strongest. I guess cuz Tom Flores (first brown NFL coach)and Daryl Lamonica are from Fresno. After that 49ers are a close 2nd with Rams and a few charger scattered in. Lots of people from lots of places so there is lots of different teams you see. cowbums, steelers, bears, and Packers being some of the most frequent I see.

MadtownPacker
01-21-2011, 07:52 PM
what is that, germlish?

or do i just understand so much of it because of my heritage?
Youre heritage is a fucking nazi so yeah.

I dont know why Tarlam tries to act German that faker. He is a descendant of criminals (Australia) and dont ever let him tell you different.

HowardRoark
01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
They are cooking a bear in Minnesota on Sunday.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_17160002?source=email&nclick_check=1

sheepshead
01-27-2011, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y2gPm9RuYo&feature=player_embedded

What I've been listening to all week!

Cheesehead Craig
01-27-2011, 08:45 AM
That's too funny!

Dad: "the Bears can maybe win next year"
Girl: "Nooooo"
Dad: "Yeah, you're probably right"

You can just hear him smiling on that last line.

Bub
01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm down in the Fort Worth area and no one is really talking about the game. They're still pissy about the 'boys not playing in it. Recently they started to complain about the traffic....boohoo.

Smidgeon
01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Brilliant.

gbgary
01-27-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm down in the Fort Worth area and no one is really talking about the game. They're still pissy about the 'boys not playing in it. Recently they started to complain about the traffic....boohoo.

most everyone i know here hate pittsburg (for their past defeats to them and sheer number of sb wins) a lot more than they hate us.

CaptainKickass
01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y2gPm9RuYo&feature=player_embedded

What I've been listening to all week!

She seemed be far more mature and actually stop whining so much WAY earlier than the average Bears fan!
:lol:

pbmax
01-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Why was he filming that? Seems a bit cruel. And he's baiting her to react. If that's Dad, he needs to realize the kids aren't there solely for his amusement.

Now adults crying over a loss? That's fair game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-6Tn0Ie-AQ

retailguy
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
wow. that was pathetic. I'm speechless.

CaptainKickass
01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Why was he filming that? Seems a bit cruel. And he's baiting her to react. If that's Dad, he needs to realize the kids aren't there solely for his amusement.

I'm a wordy motherfucker most of the time but after watching that...

I got nuthin'.

sheepshead
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM

Partials cousin.

pbmax
01-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I love that the young lady is making fun of him, but is unsure which hand gesture will correctly signify the word she wants to impart to the viewing public. That she doesn't seem to know speaks well of her upbringing, I think. But then she points and the veil of innocence is pulled aside. Too bad.

Freak Out
01-27-2011, 07:26 PM
My god what a sad bunch.

Smidgeon
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I'd say the kid has issues, but the people he's hanging around are only making it worse.

Scott Campbell
01-28-2011, 10:03 AM
If that's Dad, he needs to realize the kids aren't there solely for his amusement.

What other possible reason is there?

mraynrand
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Fat guy decompensating over Giants loss: "This team is why I LIVE!"

Me: What about doughnuts?