PDA

View Full Version : More Teddy Love

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
More love for Teddy and the rest of the Packers personnel people.

In face of injuries, Packers thrive thanks to unearthed talent (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dd0589/article/in-face-of-injuries-packers-thrive-thanks-to-unearthed-talent?module=HP_cp2)

Cheesehead Craig
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM
TT is sure getting the pub about his roster building this year and especially the playoffs. He is certainly becoming one of the better thought of GMs in the league. Which begs the question: How long will he stay here? You know there's going to be some team that will make a run at him with a boatload of cash and the thought of doing another rebuild might be tempting to him.

mission
01-21-2011, 12:08 PM
TT is sure getting the pub about his roster building this year and especially the playoffs. He is certainly becoming one of the better thought of GMs in the league. Which begs the question: How long will he stay here? You know there's going to be some team that will make a run at him with a boatload of cash and the thought of doing another rebuild might be tempting to him.

I was thinking about this the other day and I just don't think he'd go anywhere. This is Titletown and he has a chance to stay here for 15 years and win 14 SBs and be the greatest GM ever (half kidding) as long as AR is around.

Job security, resources, and not having to deal with a traditional owner make the Packers GM position one of the most attractive in the game.

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't blame him for leaving. It would be the ultimate F.U. to all of the Favre ball washers that ripped him mercilessly.

THANKSTED!

Lurker64
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Which begs the question: How long will he stay here? You know there's going to be some team that will make a run at him with a boatload of cash and the thought of doing another rebuild might be tempting to him.

Are you even allowed to do that? I know you can't interview a coach that's under contract with another team for a lateral move without the permission of his team. Could you interview another team's general manager for a lateral move?

Still, I don't think it would ever happen. If it could, somebody would have thrown a lot of money to Bill Polian or Ozzy Newsome a while back.

get louder at lambeau
01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Ted Thompson? Didn't he get fired a couple years ago for running Brett Favre out of town?

THANKSTED!

I need a custom Packer jersey with that on the back.

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Are you even allowed to do that? I know you can't interview a coach that's under contract with another team for a lateral move without the permission of his team. Could you interview another team's general manager for a lateral move?

Still, I don't think it would ever happen. If it could, somebody would have thrown a lot of money to Bill Polian or Ozzy Newsome a while back.

You can if you are out of contract or the team gives you permission to do so. How much longer does THANKSTED have on his contract?

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Prior to 2005, the Packers had played in three NFC Championship Games in 37 years. Since THANKSTED took over, the Packers have played in two NFC Championship Games. Let's not forget that THANKSTED was also an integral part of the personnel department during those other three appearances.

Packers with THANKSTED = 5 conference championship appearances in 14 years (1992-1999; 2005-2010).
Packers without THANKSTED = 0 conference championship appearances in 29 years.

Is there any other player, coach, or personnel guru that has been a part of all 5 Packer conference championship appearances?

Edgar Bennett was close. I guess he technically was on the 1997 squad. However, he never played a down that year due to injury. After the season, he signed with the Bears.

mraynrand
01-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't blame him for leaving. It would be the ultimate F.U. to all of the Favre ball washers that ripped him mercilessly.

It would be, but I don't think he'd do it. First, it doesn't seem his style. Second, he had to know when he took the job, that he would be navigating the retirement and/or ousting of Favre, just based on Favre's age. I bet he had an inkling that it might be quite difficult, based on the history of other aging HOF franchise QBs and the legacy of Favre in GB.

Freak Out
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
TT has done a hell of a job and deserves the praise he is getting.

I apologize for any bad things I've said about him. :)

LP
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't think Ted is going anywhere for a while. I am worried about Reggie McKenzie as I believe he has interviewed for GM in a couple different places. With John Schneider leaving last year and/if McKenzie leaves, I worry about the scouting department getting gutted.

sheepshead
01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
He could be one of the best GMs in all of sports

Pugger
01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
The one thing that might make him stay a while is the freedom he has in Green Bay to run the team as he sees fit without an owner sticking his nose into his domain. I don't know how much Murphy injects into football operations but when Harlan was CEO he let his GM run the team and stayed out of it all.

Fritz
01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I think the poster who said Mckenzie might be the next piece of the puzzle to leave is correct. He's been getting interviews and getting into the fringes of discussions about future GM's, and this playoff run might land him a job. As for THANKSTED, He'd have to be offered a better position, like people always seemed to do with Crusty Bill. Offer him the GM and President's job, offer him partial ownership, all that. My opinion is that THANSKTED will stay in GB, to see if he can rebuild once MM gets the urge to be a GM/coach and is lured away by promises of power.

bobblehead
01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I was thinking about this the other day and I just don't think he'd go anywhere. This is Titletown and he has a chance to stay here for 15 years and win 14 SBs and be the greatest GM ever (half kidding) as long as AR is around.

Job security, resources, and not having to deal with a traditional owner make the Packers GM position one of the most attractive in the game.

By "half kidding" I assume instead of the 14 superbowls in 15 years, you actually think we will win 7...I think you sell them short. The pack will win 9 of the next 15 by my estimation.

vince
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
I think the poster who said Mckenzie might be the next piece of the puzzle to leave is correct. He's been getting interviews and getting into the fringes of discussions about future GM's, and this playoff run might land him a job. As for THANKSTED, He'd have to be offered a better position, like people always seemed to do with Crusty Bill. Offer him the GM and President's job, offer him partial ownership, all that. My opinion is that THANSKTED will stay in GB, to see if he can rebuild once MM gets the urge to be a GM/coach and is lured away by promises of power.
I think Ted knows himself better that anyone else knows him, and given his personality, a position like President is not what he seeks. Only money or retirement would lure him away from Green Bay, and I think only retirement will. Fortunately, I don't think he'd have anything to do with himself in retirement.

superfan
01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
I get the sense that Ted prefers rebuilding projects over managing consistent winners. I imagine he would see a fresh challenge as a stronger motivator to leave than money.

mraynrand
01-21-2011, 05:22 PM
I get the sense that Ted prefers rebuilding projects over managing consistent winners. I imagine he would see a fresh challenge as a stronger motivator to leave than money.

And Buffalo has a more vibrant Theater district that Green Bay too!

Joemailman
01-21-2011, 06:21 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/joemailman25/thanksted.jpg

swede
01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/joemailman25/thanksted.jpg

How long before the forbidders of Ron Mexico jerseys outlaw this one?

pbmax
01-21-2011, 07:29 PM
There always talk about owners giving a share of ownership to lure a GM, but it has rarely happened. In fact, I am not sure it has ever happened. I don't think Parcells got it in Miami, and Wolf had some nibbles but no offer of ownership.

Ted is about one win from never having to ask for more money from Green Bay. Superfan might have hit on the only two reasons he might possible leave. And I am not sure he is in love with rebuilding as much as he is convinced about the draft. How old is Thompson?

swede
01-21-2011, 07:49 PM
When Sherman got the HC job in Green Bay he declared, in response to a question, that "rebuilding" in Green Bay was unacceptable, a sign of failure. And I though then that the notion of never rebuilding was patently ridiculous. In a way, Sherman was right about himself. He felt that it was his mission to find pieces on the Free Agent market to keep fixing up and patching the old machine from the late 90's.

Ted seems to be in the process of rebuilding the team every day. He knows where odd little pieces are stashed around the league so that he can call in a Nance, a Howard Green, a Walden on a day's notice. He flies around to college games during the season to scout kids himself for upcoming drafts. As long as he has the power to get the scouts he wants and build the football administration he needs to do his job I can't see him finding another employer that could give him more than what he has now. THANKSTED

Smidgeon
01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
There always talk about owners giving a share of ownership to lure a GM, but it has rarely happened. In fact, I am not sure it has ever happened. I don't think Parcells got it in Miami, and Wolf had some nibbles but no offer of ownership.

Ted is about one win from never having to ask for more money from Green Bay. Superfan might have hit on the only two reasons he might possible leave. And I am not sure he is in love with rebuilding as much as he is convinced about the draft. How old is Thompson?

And how many other places would let him just build from the draft?

RashanGary
01-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Ted's in a great spot. I don't expect him to leave until he retires. We're going to be like the Steelers I think.

gex
01-21-2011, 09:59 PM
TT has done a hell of a job and deserves the praise he is getting.

I apologize for any bad things I've said about him. :)
I'll 2nd that, although personalitywise he's kind of a creeper.

Fritz
01-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't think he's so much creepy as he is just a little different. Well okay, maybe he's a little scary. But watching football film 22 hours a day will do that to a man.

swede
01-22-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't think he's so much creepy as he is just a little different. Well okay, maybe he's a little scary. But watching football film 22 hours a day will do that to a man.

An Interview with the scary yet not creepy Ted Thompson.

Bob McGinn: Free Agency? What's it going to be Ted? What's it going to be?
Ted: This is a very dangerous highway.
Bob McGinn: How are you going to get where you want to go without Free Agency?
Ted: Of course driving your car on this Free Agent interstate is very dangerous.
Bob McGinn: You want to get off the Free Agent highway...will that make you happy?
Ted: Yeah.
Bob McGinn: Yeah, well you gotta WIN THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP SO THAT WE CAN GET OFF THE FREE AGENT HIGHWAY!
Ted: Of course in 1986 46,400 Free Agents were definitely involved in fatal accidents.

packerbacker1234
01-22-2011, 09:56 AM
TT makes his mistakes, bu there is no doubt about his ability to evaluate talent at an NFL level, and the ability for college talent to translate to the big boys game. If there was ever a GM you wanted in charge of your draft board, it's TT. He helped build seattle up for it's one super bowl run, and he has built us up to super bowl contendors for the forseeable future.

It's also a good note to palyers out ther that are drafted late, or undrafted all together. Work hard at what you do and an opportunity could arise at any moment. Same Shields earned his play time. Walden was brought in as a backup to ZOmbo, and and then he earned that right to be next in line, and has now seemingly earned the right to stay ahead of Zombo, even if Zombo is good to go for the super bowl should we get there. Bishop earned that contract extension - so did williams.

You get what you deserve.

mraynrand
01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
You get what you deserve.

It's refreshing to see this