GBRulz
08-09-2006, 08:52 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=479758

Wisconsin brats make a cameo in 'Trade Center'
By DUANE DUDEK
ddudek@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 4, 2006

Duane Dudek

It's a bit jarring to watch Oliver Stone's emotionally vivid new film "World Trade Center," opening Wednesday, and see references to . . . bratwurst.

The film is the story of two men trapped beneath the rubble of the twin towers on Sept 11, 2001, juxtaposed with the stories of their families and the efforts of rescuers searching for survivors. But it's also about how those events affected us all, and that's how bratwurst came to play a role.

As the film cuts to reactions from around the world, it stops at a Sheboygan diner where customers are watching news coverage of the terrorist attacks. Later, as rescuers emerge from the smoking ground zero, they walk past a sign that reads "Wisconsin Loves NYC Cops" where they are handed what they are told is "the best brat you'll get in the whole world." The scenes would be gratuitous if they were not grounded in as much fact as pork.

"There were Wisconsin cops at the scene and they did do bratwurst," Stone said during an interview. The scenes were in the script from the start.

But as often happens in Hollywood, events were altered for dramatic effect.

Sheboygan cops did pack up their Weber grills and 100 pounds of sausage and head to ground zero, but not until the six-month anniversary of the attacks, said Tim Tarkowski, who retired as sergeant of the traffic division in 2005 after 28 years of service. But right after the attacks a fund-raising brat fry raised $147,000, which was given to the families of emergency personnel killed in the attacks that Christmas.

Tarkowski said he and five other officers went to New York "because we had a need to see for ourselves and to do something for the Port Authority after all they went through." They've returned almost every year since. "We've made friends for life out there."

Sheboygan police chief David Kirk wrote in an e-mail that the filmmakers were provided with uniform specifications so that they would "accurately represent the Sheboygan police uniform."

But why Sheboygan? Stone said: "We went from the pit, the hole (of ground zero), to the macrocosm of the world, we showed all the countries reacting and came back to Wisconsin," to suggest the universal reaction to the attacks.

And why bratwurst?

"Why not," laughed Tarkowski.

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 09:19 AM
GBRulz:

How would you rate this movie - out of 5 *'s?

Elaborate as you feel, please.

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Woody, I believe it first opens today in theaters.

Now, will I rush out to see this one? No. I had no desire to see "Flight 93" -either.

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Me either. But it is an interesting article.

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Woody, I believe it first opens today in theaters.

Now, will I rush out to see this one? No. I had no desire to see "Flight 93" -either.

I misunderstood your post - now that I read it carefully. :oops:

Yes ! That is the case here also, that it opens in theater's today.

Yes - this subject material is difficult on all of us - challenging.

I watched an awesome documentry news report on the HIV-Aids crisis in the African Country of Zambia last night, after the National news. I was really closer to the real problem after that experience.

Maybe, wait to see the reviews before deciding to go see that movie GBRulz? Please consider this:

I believe seeing it will strengthen you - if you don't allow anger to dominate your emotions. All compassionate people around the world are deeply affected by what happened at the World Trade Center, that terrible disaster and unnecessary distruction of good lives, was the most horrific event of my lifetime. GBRulz.

The challenge we face in such trying circumstances, as that referred to as 911. Is that we just can't understand the perpetrators that plot such hatred. In such circumstances we remain numb to such outright carelessness, but like the atrocities of the World Wars. I feel that we must challenge OURSELVES to see and feel the horror of it all. In order to best enable finding the necessary strength to deal best with the evil of such men.

Do we defeat them? That isn't for me to decide. As a human being, I am challenged certainly in one respect. To stand strong of what they are and what they plot against us to cause us fear.

To enable in myself a position not even resembling ignorance. To hold for right.