PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Shields (and Williams) facts

Patler
01-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Didn't realize this, but according to JSO, Shields' pass-interference penalty in Atlanta was his first penalty of the year. 18 games and just one penalty.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114408254.html

Williams has had just 3 penalties, and between the two they have allowed 4 TDs.

Pretty remarkable for a rookie playing as much as Shields has played, at a position that is relatively new to him, to get the results Shields has gotten without committing a penalty until now. It's easy to get excited about this kid's future.

mraynrand
01-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Bretsky accused me of homerism for liking Shields over Haden in the all Rookie team. Looking back at some tape and comparing a little more, I have to admit he's right. But some of the things Shields has done have been really impressive. He didn't have many more breakdowns after giving up that easy TD to Macklin in the opener.

get louder at lambeau
01-22-2011, 11:08 AM
It almost seems impossible how good he has been at his age, with his limited experience. Week after week he keeps doing it, and teams can't seem to find a way to exploit him. You know they are trying. Anyone would try to exploit the inexperienced UDFA rookie corner matching up against starting WRs.

I can't wait to see what happens when he REALLY settles in. Give him a year or two, and I would expect to see more of his WR background come into play, with him attacking the ball and coming away with it a significant amount of the time. He has the makings of someone who you just stay away from as much as possible if that comes together. With Tramon on the other side, there should be interceptions all over the place.

bobblehead
01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Like I said in another thread. He is well ahead of TWill's learning curve....and that is scary.

Bretsky
01-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Bretsky accused me of homerism for liking Shields over Haden in the all Rookie team. Looking back at some tape and comparing a little more, I have to admit he's right. But some of the things Shields has done have been really impressive. He didn't have many more breakdowns after giving up that easy TD to Macklin in the opener.

Normally people throw Jabs at Bretsky when he plays the homerism card to thx for acknowledging it's possible I'm sometime right.
Sam nobody breaks through my Shield is still a baller though

Cheesehead Craig
01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
A big plus for him is his ridiculous speed though. He doesn't need to be like Grabby McSmurf because he can simply keep up with WRs and not use his hands to slow them down.

Mazzin
01-22-2011, 06:01 PM
By grabby mcsmurf you mean Ahmad carrol? Correct. Someone can look it up (on my iPhone) but Ahmad carrol ran a 4.2something coming out or Arkansas didnt he?

Joemailman
01-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Yep, Grabby was fast physically, but a little slow mentally.

mission
01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Yep, Grabby was fast physically, but a little slow mentally.

He was never a 4.2 guy.

4.2 is real, legitimate speed.

Little Whiskey
01-22-2011, 06:40 PM
at 4' foot 3" speed doesn't matter.

MJZiggy
01-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Normally people throw Jabs at Bretsky when he plays the homerism card to thx for acknowledging it's possible I'm sometime right.
Sam nobody breaks through my Shield is still a baller though
I have never accused you of homerism. You sometimes are right, but I'm occasionally righter.