PDA

View Full Version : TT press conference

bobblehead
01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
I would like TT to call a big presser tomorrow and invite all the local and national media. When it starts TT would walk up to the mic, clear his throat and say:

"I told you so"

Then smirk, turn and exit the stage without taking a single question. That would be sweet. If he added a quick "Raji's TD was revenge for William Perry" I wouldn't be heart broken either.

mraynrand
01-23-2011, 10:58 PM
not there yet

mission
01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
not there yet

There's still a chance TT was wrong all along??

:P

bobblehead
01-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Oh, the TT haters love to raise the bar every time he clears the most recent height they claim would vindicate him. Even if we win in 2 weeks they will claim any team can luck into one, he needs 3 in a row to be right.

mraynrand
01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
TT haters? Get a grip. If you really think TT should gloat before the Superbowl, you're outta your mind. Even after he won't do it because the guy has class.

Scott Campbell
01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
TT haters? Get a grip. If you really think TT should gloat before the Superbowl, you're outta your mind. Even after he won't do it because the guy has class.

And that's why I'm here to gloat for him.

mission
01-23-2011, 11:26 PM

should have made that your first post then. kinda sounded like TT hasn't got this team to a point where a "i told you so" would be fitting, when in fact, arguing that (a la Merlin's post) is really laughable to any level-headed follower of the Packers.

mraynrand
01-23-2011, 11:28 PM
should have made that your first post then. kinda sounded like TT hasn't got this team to a point where a "i told you so" would be fitting, when in fact, arguing that (a la Merlin's post) is really laughable to any level-headed follower of the Packers.

Recall the expression "Fart in the wind" - who said it and when?

mraynrand
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Class:

"Just to be able to play in this next game is hard to do," Thompson said. "We're humbled. To do what we did - win the last two games in the regular season and then win three road games against the 1, 2 and 3 seeds - it's a credit to this group of men we have playing for the Packers."

Packman_26
01-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Recall the expression "Fart in the wind" - who said it and when?

Ron Wolf following the Super Bowl loss.

Deputy Nutz
01-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Class:

"Just to be able to play in this next game is hard to do," Thompson said. "We're humbled. To do what we did - win the last two games in the regular season and then win three road games against the 1, 2 and 3 seeds - it's a credit to this group of men we have playing for the Packers."

He actually spoke?

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 12:04 AM
He actually spoke?

It may have been completely through gestures. As Quint might say, "Sometimes that Thompson, he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. ... the thing about Thompson... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living..."

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
beedy little eyes

Bretsky
01-24-2011, 06:56 AM
BARRY SANDERS

pbmax
01-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Nope. I saw video. His mouth moved and sound came out and everything. Either he spoke or John Dorsey is a heck of a ventriloquist.

mmmdk
01-24-2011, 07:18 AM
TT called Masthay player of the NFC Champ game. I'd say he sure was one of them.

vince
01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110123/PKR07/301240044/Mike-Vandermause-column-Really-gratifying-for-Thompson

TT: "Quite frankly, very few people know what they're talking about."

Little Whiskey
01-24-2011, 07:54 AM
wait until after they win the superbowl.

- call the press conference.

- point to his waist

- put on the belt

- throw the mic down

- and walk away.........in slow motion!

mraynrand
That's a great quote, but it needs a little context:

Thompson has never been swayed by public sentiment, and he doesn’t plan to start now.

“The negatives or the positives don’t really affect me,” he said. “Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about. It’s like (former Packers GM Ron Wolf) said one time, ‘You’re never as stupid as they say you are and you’re never as smart as they say you are. You’re somewhere in the middle.”

Thompson has no desire to say “I told you so” or point fingers.

pbmax
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110123/PKR07/301240044/Mike-Vandermause-column-Really-gratifying-for-Thompson

If that is as much criticism as he is willing to level at his critics, he truly seems to believe in his approach. Even at that moment, when he could be selling everyone on it, he just stands by it. He may not get everything right, but that is a pretty steady hand at the helm.

mmmdk
01-24-2011, 07:57 AM

I want the whole quote: “Quite frankly, very few people know what they’re talking about. It’s like (former Packers GM Ron Wolf) said one time, ‘You’re never as stupid as they say you are and you’re never as smart as they say you are. You’re somewhere in the middle.”

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Ron Wolf following the Super Bowl loss.

You win the prize!

And speaking of prizes, you can see what Wolf thought of losing the big prize, you could see what he thought of wining 'just one' Superbowl but losing the next, you can see that the guy knew how absolutely difficult it is to build a team that can get to the Superbowl and how terrible it is to get there and not win it all. Gotta believe Thompson is in the same camp. Winning it all is the ultimate measuring stick for a GM - for anyone in the NFL for that matter. Thompson might have some gloat in him, but I don't see it, and I can't imagine he'll let that out until they win it all, if ever.

Smidgeon
01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
wait until after they win the superbowl.

- call the press conference.

- point to his waist

- put on the belt

- throw the mic down

- and walk away.........in slow motion!

:D

vince
01-24-2011, 04:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/23248/page/espntexas/the-house-that-ted-thompson-built

The house that Ted Thompson built

CHICAGO -- As he always does, the man with the white mane sat stoically in his press box seat. Believe me, I checked.

Every time the Green Bay Packers' rookie nickelback made a play, I stole a glance down the aisle. Ted Thompson was unmoved. There was no hint of vengeance when rookie tailback James Starks scored a second-quarter touchdown, and I saw no reaction of note as punter Tim Masthay flipped the game's field position all afternoon.

The Packers' general manager had every reason to feel wholly vindicated Sunday as his team advanced to Super Bowl XLV with a 21-14 victory over the Chicago Bears. On a day when quarterback Aaron Rodgers' best play was a touchdown-saving tackle, Thompson's brand of team building proved especially prescient. This was a Ted Thompson victory if there ever was one.

"Ted built this house," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "He is responsible for everything that goes on."

We've all had our fun and taken our shots at the way Thompson constructed this team. Eschewing veteran free agency puts a premium on your own development program, leaving no margin for error in the draft and little patience in bringing along young players. You've got to hit nearly every time, and after watching Sunday's game at Soldier Field, I think we can agree that Thompson batted 1.000 in a year when the Packers lost more starting players to injuries than any NFL team.

Undrafted nickel back Sam Shields became one of 11 rookies in NFL history to intercept at least two passes in a playoff game, including the game-clinching play with 37 seconds remaining. Starks continued his postseason surge with 74 yards and his first touchdown since he was a junior at Buffalo in 2008. Masthay, plucked off the street last winter, pinned the Bears inside their 20-yard line on five of his eight punts. Nose tackle B.J. Raji, Thompson's first pick in the 2009 draft, returned an interception 18 yards for a touchdown that served as the final margin of victory.

The Packers have their share of elite players in Rodgers, receiver Greg Jennings, linebacker Clay Matthews and cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams. But without Shields, Starks and Masthay, the Packers might not have a ticket for Arlington, Texas, in two weeks.

Sam Shields, who was an undrafted free agent this season, had two interceptions against the Bears."I think this really to me showed all of Ted's work over the last two or three years," team president Mark Murphy said. "You look at the depth of the roster, the players he's been able to identify. We have starting players playing key roles for us who were undrafted free agents this year. It's a tribute to Ted and his staff that he's able to find these players."

I missed Thompson after the game. I'm guessing he wouldn't have been in a gloating mood. It's not his style, and it's what I like best about him. He doesn't need to tell us I told you so. We saw it ourselves Sunday, and it was a development not lost in the Packers' locker room.

"It starts up top with Ted and players and the personnel department," veteran defensive lineman Ryan Pickett said. "They do a good job of bringing in players. Somebody gets hurt, and they bring in a guy where there's almost no drop-off. We have a lot of talent on this team. I don't know if I've ever seen this much, as long as I have been playing. There are players all over this team that were overlooked by other teams."

On the day the Packers advanced to their first Super Bowl in 13 years, you might not be up for patting their shy general manager on the back. Sorry folks. If Rodgers had pulled another of his postseason gems, I would be telling you all about it. If Matthews had put together another of his three-sack games, this post would have been easy to write.

The assumption has been that the Packers would ride Rodgers as far as he could take them. But Sunday, the Bears' defense limited him to 17 completions in 30 attempts. He threw two interceptions, including one to linebacker Brian Urlacher on what he called a "terrible throw" in the third quarter. Rodgers managed to trip up Urlacher at the Bears' 45-yard line, preventing what almost certainly would have been a touchdown, but he was unable to take the Packers to a second-half touchdown that would have put the game out of reach.

On this championship day, that task fell to players like Shields, Starks and Masthay. We've had plenty of discussions about Starks, who has vindicated Thompson's decision not to seek a veteran replacement (albeit a little late). Shields, meanwhile, was Thompson's version of an answer to the Packers' thin depth at cornerback last season.

Signed as an undrafted free agent after the draft, Shields initially was a candidate to be the Packers' kickoff and punt returner. But as soon as he arrived at training camp, he had defensive players and coaches turning their heads.

"We saw him and said, 'Why didn't this guy get drafted?'" Pickett said. "This guy has been making plays since the moment he got here. He might be the best rookie cornerback in the league."

It would be hard to argue based on Sunday's game. Shields ended two consecutive Bears series in the second quarter. The first was a sack of quarterback Jay Cutler on third down. Less than two minutes later, his athletic interception prevented what would have been a long 42-yard touchdown pass to receiver Johnny Knox.

According to the database at pro-football-reference.com, Shields is the first rookie in NFL history to collect two interceptions and a sack in a playoff game.

"He is going to be a great player for the Green Bay Packers for a long time," McCarthy said.

The Packers have more than their share of similar stories.

Ted Thompson is their ghost writer.

He won't tell you.

He doesn't need to.

You saw it yourself.

Joemailman
01-24-2011, 04:03 PM
I think TT still needs to answer for the fact that he didn't draft Sam Shields.

red
01-24-2011, 04:05 PM

LOL

vince
01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Ted Thompson - self-promoter extraordinaire
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/5410/chisbxlvbound.jpg

Scott Campbell
01-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Didn't Woody once guarantee that the Packers would never advance to the Superbowl with Thompson at the helm?

billy_oliver880
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Maybe Woody is TT?

RashanGary
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Let's get one ring here, but the best part of this house Thompson built is that it still looks to be going up. The door doesn't look to be closing any time soon. Youth, money, coaching stability, QB stability. We should be competing for many more years.

Pugger
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
There is a video of TT speaking to reporters for several minutes on the Packer web site. There is also a great video of Woodson in the lockerroom after the game.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Woodsons-NFC-Championship-Speech-at-Bears/1b68dc25-edd8-4769-bf2f-f4c79e31502e

Scott Campbell
01-24-2011, 05:10 PM
BARRY SANDERS

I don't remember Barry Sanders whining every time they passed on a free agent.

bobblehead
01-24-2011, 05:17 PM

I think you are missing the humor value of my post and taking me for a complete idiot if you think that I think TT would ever actually do this (or if you are foolish enough to think that I think he SHOULD).

I know you are still mad at me because I refuse to support RINO's like McCain, but please don't let it cloud your judgement of me this much. My thread is a joke. I don't expect TT to do this, nor would I condone it. This disclaimer is for those who can no longer find humor in anything I write.

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 08:32 PM
I think you are missing the humor value of my post and taking me for a complete idiot if you think that I think TT would ever actually do this (or if you are foolish enough to think that I think he SHOULD).

I know you are still mad at me because I refuse to support RINO's like McCain, but please don't let it cloud your judgement of me this much. My thread is a joke. I don't expect TT to do this, nor would I condone it. This disclaimer is for those who can no longer find humor in anything I write.

Down Boy!

if

  http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/speaker.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/I00/I0027200) /ɪf/ http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html) Show Spelled[if] Show IPA
–conjunction 1. in case that; granting or supposing that; on condition that: Sing if you want to. Stay indoors if it rains. I'll go if you do.

2. even though: an enthusiastic if small audience.

3. whether: He asked if I knew (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/knew) spanish (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spanish).

4. (used to introduce an exclamatory phrase): If only Dad could see me now!

5. when or whenever: If it was raining, we had to play inside.

P.S. I couldn't care less about your position on McBain when responding to a post on football.

HowardRoark
01-24-2011, 08:45 PM

He would have drafted him, but he wanted to shut up all of the fans who complain that he doesn't sign free agents.