PDA

View Full Version : Packers TC - Injuries rock offensive line

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Injuries rock offensive line

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 8, 2006

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers' young offensive line took a hit Tuesday when two of its members were injured and a third was declared out indefinitely.

Jason Spitz, the starting right guard, suffered what coach Mike McCarthy said was a bruised lower right leg. He was walking later with an ice bag taped on.

About 30 minutes later, backup guard-center Wayne Lucier walked off with what appeared to be an injury to his left ankle or foot.

Meanwhile, McCarthy indicated that diagnostic testing on the hamstring of backup right tackle Will Whitticker revealed significant damage.

"It's going to be awhile," McCarthy said, often a coaching euphemism meaning a long time.

Free agent Tupe Peko worked with the No. 1 unit at right guard. By the end of practice there were 11 healthy offensive linemen, one of whom was tackle Chad Clifton. He has sat out most of camp with a knee problem.

The coaches were to meet Tuesday night to determine how they'll line up Saturday night for the exhibition opener in San Diego. McCarthy offered no guess on how long Spitz and Lucier would be sidelined.

Junius Coston, who had been battling Spitz at right guard until Clifton's absence caused him to be moved to left tackle on Thursday, presumably will be moved inside.

"I wouldn't be surprised if I move back to guard for depth purposes," Coston said. "I'm here to win a job. (Versatility) was one of my selling points always. They're definitely getting their money's worth."

Peko, an eight-game starter for Indianapolis in 2004, was out of work in '05 and didn't arrive in Green Bay until July 28. He described himself as "fat" the first day, but in 10 days has improved his conditioning.

"I was 329, 330 when I got here and now I'm 320," Peko said. "I feel better. I have to lose more. I have to get my feet working better and learn all the plays."

Spitz was injured in a portion of practice without tackling. Lucier went down when the tackling was live.

"It was my fault," nose tackle Colin Cole said, referring to Spitz's injury. "I kind of thought the play was over and I kind of gave him a little whack and he may have lost his balance and went to try to balance himself on one leg and might have bent backward the wrong way.

"It definitely was nothing I was trying to do but mistakes like that happen. As soon as I got a chance I went up to him to see how he was. We're all teammates on this team."

Adam Haayer, a sixth-year tackle, was in Green Bay for a tryout Monday. He has played in 20 games for Minnesota and Arizona, starting five.

Rough stuff: Fearing injury and trying to keep the team fresh, McCarthy has been reluctant throughout camp to employ tackling in any segment of practice. According to running back Noah Herron, the first practice periods of tackling were Monday night.

He estimated that about 10 plays Monday night were live and then about 20 plays on Tuesday afternoon.

McCarthy informs the players a day in advance what each part of practice will entail.

"You can't go live all the time," Herron said. "The added element of taking somebody down to the ground makes the risk factors go way up."

In any event, Herron said the intensity on the practice field during live sessions wasn't as high as it was during the intra-squad scrimmage.

McCarthy is breaking from his 1-2-1-2 practice schedule with just one practice today after conducting just one Tuesday.

"We're going to take the next couple days and let them get their bodies back and get ready for San Diego," he said. "These next two Wednesdays we'll use the practices to prepare for a pre-season game."

Injury list: Safety Atari Bigby will undergo surgery in the next few days to repair a fractured right hand.

Wide receiver Greg Jennings sat out Tuesday with an injury in the hip and groin area but is expected back today.

Linebacker Brady Poppinga, in no uncertain terms, declared that he would make his debut Aug. 28 in Cincinnati. He's doing everything in practice except team drills.

"You will see No. 51 flying around then," he said.

Camp visitor:Sherman Lewis, the club's offensive coordinator from 1992-'99, is attending practice this week. He coached with McCarthy on Ray Rhodes' staff in '99. His son, Eric, is Green Bay's defensive quality-control coach.

"I like what I see," Lewis said late Tuesday. "They have a lot of good-looking athletes at the skill positions. Mike will need some more players but I think he'll be fine."

The West Coast passing game is similar to what Lewis coached in Green Bay but the zone running game is much different.

"I wish I had been exposed more to it," Lewis said. "We never had people with the expertise in it as coaches. It's a back running to daylight and the passing game comes off it. I'll tell you what. The linebackers must respond to the flow. I did studies of it in Denver. The run game benefits the play-action and movement game."

Counterfeit charges: Two men made and sold more than $10,000 worth of memorabilia bearing counterfeits of quarterback Brett Favre's autograph at a sports merchandise shop a few hundred yards from Lambeau Field, according to the office of state Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager.

Paul J. Vidani III, 59, of De Pere and Michael D. Van Lanen, 49, of Green Bay were charged Tuesday in Brown County Circuit Court with felony fraud, identity theft and trafficking in counterfeit trademarks, according to a news release from the attorney general's office. Van Lanen's wife, Cynthia, 50, has been charged with lying to investigators, according to the statement.

From December 2004 to January 2006, the criminal complaint says, Vidani's business made large, framed prints affixed with a "Brett Favre" hologram and sold with a certificate of authenticity at the Van Lanens' shop, All Sports Marketing, 2039 Holmgren Way in Green Bay.

If convicted of all the charges, the men face a maximum of 22 years in prison and up to $285,000 in fines. If convicted, Cynthia Van Lanen could be sentenced to nine months in prison and fined $10,000, according to the statement.

Ashley Johnson of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report from Milwaukee.

From the Aug. 9, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 12:12 PM
CENTER OF ATTENTION
Packers' zone-blocking scheme plays to Wells' strengths as a lineman

By GARY D'AMATO
gdamato@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 8, 2006

Green Bay - Scott Wells came into the National Football League as an undersized offensive lineman and nothing has changed in that regard. He still stands 6 feet 2 inches and he's not going to have another growth spurt.

What has changed is the Green Bay Packers' blocking scheme under first-year coach Mike McCarthy. And for once, Wells, who slipped to the seventh round in the 2004 draft largely over concerns about his size, is the perfect fit.

Not only has the 304-pound Wells replaced the departed Mike Flanagan at center, but he has been impressive in the Packers' new zone-blocking scheme, which requires offensive linemen to be quick and agile.

"Zone blocking definitely does favor the smaller, leaner linemen," he said Tuesday. "So our coaches really emphasize specific body type. They don't want you to be overweight. They want you to be able to run, get in and out of the huddle, keep the defense on its heels.

"Not having the excess poundage definitely helps."

Wells, 25, has had a solid camp and was effective in the scrimmage Saturday, drawing praise from line coach Joe Philbin for his double-team blocks and his knack for getting to the second level and cutting linebackers.

Defensive tackle Colin Cole bangs helmets with Wells every day in practice and vouches for the center's ability.

"Very physical guy," Cole said. "Very low center of gravity. He's got very good hands and his balance is superb because of that low center of gravity. He's going to cause a lot of problems for opposing defensive linemen because he's quick and when he gets his hands on guys, it's hard to get off him."

Wells' arrival in Green Bay in '04 was without fanfare, even though he had started 49 consecutive games at Tennessee, the third-longest streak by an offensive lineman in college football history.

He was drafted in the seventh round, the 251st pick overall, and was waived and re-signed to the practice squad. But then, nothing ever came easy for Wells, the youngest of three boys who was recruited by Tennessee as a defensive lineman and switched to offense as a freshman.

"It's always been an uphill fight," he said.

When the NFL scouts evaluated him, they saw his lack of stature and bulk and short arms and it was almost as if they didn't believe the film.

"The draft isn't an exact science and a lot of people try to make it an exact science," Wells said. "They take height, arm length, weight and all these things that don't necessarily equate into an excellent football player and say yes or no, this guy is going to be good or he's not going to be good.

"I disagree with that. I can understand to an extent that they think they can get somebody who is perfect size and make him into a football player. But I played against 14 first-round draft picks in college and I had some good games against them.

"I felt disrespected at first. I felt I was better than that, better than where I was taken. But that just served as motivation for me."

Wells was promoted to the Packers' active roster in October 2004 and played in five games as a rookie. Last year, pressed into action because of injuries on the offensive line, he played in all 16 games and started 10, two at center and eight at left guard.

Mike Sherman's coaching staff liked his effort and tenacity but there were lingering doubts about whether he could be an effective full-time starter.

Then Sherman was fired, McCarthy brought his zone-blocking scheme and just like that, Wells was entrenched as the starting center.

"I feel good," he said. "I feel comfortable and confident in this scheme. I think the time we put in learning it in the off-season has definitely helped me as far as preparing. We'll see how good I am at it when we get to these four pre-season games and we get the live bullets."

Wells was ranked as the nation's No. 1 heavyweight wrestler as a senior at Brentwood (Tenn.) Academy and compiled a 177-11 record over four years. He won three state titles, two in Greco Roman and one in freestyle.

The balance, agility and quickness he displayed in wrestling serve him well on the football field.

"I've gone against him and I've been able to see his power and his ability on a day-to-day basis," Cole said. "I see what he's able to do and I know he's going to be a definite commodity for our offense this year.

"Most defenses in the league, they don't cover up the center so he's able to get out to the linebackers and if you can get somebody up on that linebacker at the second level, seams start opening up. That's when you get creases and that's when running backs have big games."

It's one thing for a seventh-round draft pick to start in the NFL. Plenty have done it. It's quite another to be an elite and productive player and do it for years.

"I will be one of them," Wells vowed. "It sounds corny and cheesy but it's the truth: There's no measurement for what's inside a guy."

From the Aug. 9, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

HOLD THE FAITH ! - PACKERS in 2006 !

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
I love this his attitude and am glad he has a chip on his shoulder. I just hope we can get ANY productivity from our guards.

By the way, when watching a clip of some of the running plays from family night I noticed that there were quite a few times that our running backs could have cut it outside and would have have a ton of daylight, I wonder if they were told to try to find seams in the middle, or if they just didn't see the opportunity there. I hope, if it's the latter, that MM shows this to them during film study.