PDA

View Full Version : Truly Special Teams

Little Whiskey
01-24-2011, 07:28 AM
for all the crap they took this year. its time they get their own attaboy thread.

for all the talk this week about how the bears were going to have the advantage in field position due bears superior special teams. the packers were clearly better in all aspects of special teams yesterday.

masthey 5 punts inside the 20 with a long of 65

Hester with only 13 punt return yards on 3 returns.

Coverage was great. if i remember right there were 2 or 3 downed inside the 10. (the last touchback was a bs call, what do you have to do to reestablish your feet?)

Maynard sucked ass. it looked like he shanked every other punt.

KUDOS Special teams!!

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Kuddos!

pbmax
01-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Yes. That 65 yard punt was a monster and nicely along the sideline.

How much effect did having Korey Hall have since he was finally active for this game? He was right there on the big punt and forced Hester into someone else's arms if memory serves.

mmmdk
01-24-2011, 07:45 AM
I want all the "FIRE SLOCUM" Rats to repent! :lol:

pbmax
01-24-2011, 07:56 AM

I am not willing to bet Slocum comes back, but I would bet Korey Hall does.

mmmdk
01-24-2011, 08:05 AM
I am not willing to bet Slocum comes back, but I would bet Korey Hall does.

Is his contract up? If so, maybe but if some team wants to promote Slocum, I'd be ok with that.

NB - It was my subtle "in your face message" to those rubbing my face! Being smarter will never be out of fashion and I swallow camels like frecking Albert Einstein. :lol:

Gunakor
01-24-2011, 08:29 AM

No. There's still one more game to be played. He can still fuck up the entire season. Let's not put the cart before the horse...

Patler
01-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Since MM called out Masthay in a press conference around mid-season, Masthay has been extremely good. I hope he is the answer for years to come.

pbmax
01-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Is his contract up? If so, maybe but if some team wants to promote Slocum, I'd be ok with that.

NB - It was my subtle "in your face message" to those rubbing my face! Being smarter will never be out of fashion and I swallow camels like frecking Albert Einstein. :lol:

Yes, I got the subtext. But I just used to post to jump in again that we may have seen one reason why Korey Hall is considered a special teams ace and kept around despite being the 3rd FB sometimes.

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Once the injuries settled down, the special teams got better. Perhaps this wasn't all Slocum's fault after all?

mmmdk
01-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes, I got the subtext. But I just used to post to jump in again that we may have seen one reason why Korey Hall is considered a special teams ace and kept around despite being the 3rd FB sometimes.

I rarely disagree with you - it's really a comfort around here! :tup:

pittstang5
01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Once the injuries settled down, the special teams got better. Perhaps this wasn't all Slocum's fault after all?

Maybe the injuries were a part of it, but I thought I remember reading something about how the units were constantly changing (meaning they kept changing the players around). I guess towards the middle of the season they finally had some continuity. Although I haven't been overly impressed, I think they've been adequate. I just wish they could find a KR that gets them past the 20.

Smidgeon
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
masthey 5 punts inside the 20 with a long of 65

Peter King pointed out today that all of Masthay's punts hit inside the 20. One was the touchback because Bush couldn't re-establish in the field of play, and the others were all returned past the 20. Pretty impressive day.

Tim "Hester-Killer" Masthay

pbmax
01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Maybe the injuries were a part of it, but I thought I remember reading something about how the units were constantly changing (meaning they kept changing the players around). I guess towards the middle of the season they finally had some continuity. Although I haven't been overly impressed, I think they've been adequate. I just wish they could find a KR that gets them past the 20.

I would pay for adequate. Seriously, if adequate is achieved through some consistent lineups, health and injury luck, then that would be enough.

Freak Out
01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Unbelievable job by the punt/special teams overall. When you can take away a game changer like Hester you've done a great job.

We actually had two punters playing yesterday. :)

I wonder how many "former" TT players were on the field yesterday?

denverYooper
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Even the punter that GB cut got his team to the superbowl. Kapinos came up with that huge running into the kicker penalty to extend a late Pittsburgh drive.

mission
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
how many times did you hear "well the bears only area where they have a HUGE advantage over the packers is on special teams, hester this, blah blah" ??

sooo many times... masthay was lights out. maybe the best packers punting performance ever ?

mission
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Even the punter that GB cut got his team to the superbowl. Kapinos came up with that huge running into the kicker penalty to extend a late Pittsburgh drive.

TT sure knows how to pickem ;)

CaptainKickass
01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Kuddos!

Lemme really fuck this up:

"Cewdohze"

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Our "special" teams went from:

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/66846-find_word_retard_offensive.jpg

To this:

http://theunexplainedmysteries.com/images/superman-curse.jpg

packerbacker1234
01-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I enjoyed the fact that Bigby and Hall were activeted solely to help special teams, and while Hall did have the one penalty I believe on a punt for 5 yards, he also helped make an impact in terms of controlling where the runner was going. I don't know how big of a impact Bigby had, but Hall clearly helped out a lot.

It's always been a wonder to me how Quin Johnson somehow leap frogged Hall as our starting FB. I dont' even remember how it happened.

Fritz
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe if Slocum feels his job is on the line every single week the ST will continue to do well!

And I hope Masthay gets a game ball. That was the best punting performance I've ever seen.

Lurker64
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
It's always been a wonder to me how Quin Johnson somehow leap frogged Hall as our starting FB. I dont' even remember how it happened.

Comes down to blocking. Hall has always been able to effectively "get in the way" of the person he's trying to block, but Quinn Johnson is a hammer. Wasn't playing much before this season because he's not the sharpest bulb in this metaphor and he didn't really have a handle on the offense. But now that Johnson has the offense down, he's definitely a better hammer in run-blocking.

denverYooper
01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/01/24/re-focused-conference-round-packers-at-bears/

Rookie Tim Masthay (+4.7) had the second-best graded game by any punter this season, and doing it on a freezing-cold day with Devin Hester on the other end of his punts is enough to earn him legend status in Green Bay. While the Packers offense struggled, Masthay was consistently able to pin the Bears deep in their own territory — five times inside their own 20-yard line.

Bretsky
01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
)

as soon as you admit MM is an outstanding NFL coach and one of the top five in the NFL
then we'll think about geting behind you in line :)

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=HarveyWallbangers;571130]Our "special" teams went from:

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/66846-find_word_retard_offensive.jpg

I thought I told you never to post my picture again!

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Comes down to blocking. Hall has always been able to effectively "get in the way" of the person he's trying to block, but Quinn Johnson is a hammer. Wasn't playing much before this season because he's not the sharpest bulb in this metaphor and he didn't really have a handle on the offense. But now that Johnson has the offense down, he's definitely a better hammer in run-blocking.

That's his nickname around this neck of the woods too!

Fritz
01-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Hmmm. "Get in the Way" Hall doesn't have much of a ring to it!

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Hmmm. "Get in the Way" Hall doesn't have much of a ring to it!

Just slightly better than "Annie"

Fritz
01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
His brother's nickname is "Kids in the" Hall.

Kiwon
01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
The punting and coverage yesterday was excellent. Some of the best that I can recall in several years. When done well it can change a game and that was evident yesterday.

However, I was glad that Chicago did not try an on-sides kick though.

It's mildly interesting that TT cast-off Jeremy Kapinos is punting for the Steelers but how much you want to bet that ESPN will do a feature with Kapinos on how he feels going into the big game. Too many analysts with too many hours to fill. Puke.

vince
01-25-2011, 05:39 AM
Kapinos was pretty bitter when McCarthy called him out after the season mentioning in an interview that the punting needed to improve. It was an obvious comment by McCarthy, but I remember Kapinos being real sensitive about it, barking back and shifting blame to the coverage unit.

Here's a link. (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2010/03/kapinos-i-wont-agree-with-anyone-i-was.html)

It's obvious how much better Masthay has been than Kapinos in GB, particularly in the second half of the season, but I was interested to see if Kapinos had improved and/or whether there was any merit to his arguments.

Here are the numbers from this year. Obviously 14 punts isn't a lot to go on, but Kapinos has improved his Inside the 20 percentage from last year, which was a problem when he was in Green Bay. I can't find hangtime stats, but his net average has been consistently poor across teams, so it's probably safe to say Kapinos' weak leg is the primary cause.

Player Punts Avg Rank Net Rank i20 % Rank
Masthay 71 43.9 13 37.6 19 35.21% 14
Kapinos 14 41.1 32 32.3 36 35.71% 13

Long story short, Kapinos isn't much of a story even for Super Bowl week. He's still a below average punter at best filling in for the injured guy who'll probably replace him when he's healthy again.

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 06:28 AM
)

as soon as you admit MM is an outstanding NFL coach and one of the top five in the NFL
then we'll think about geting behind you in line :)

...I just took heed of your ranking too, here on PR, of McCarthy a little while ago; I believe you had Stubby around middle of the pack (# 15 or so)? :lol: Still not all that shabby...for a game day head coach but I really liked that Rat poster (think it was 'mission') that said "McCarthy is the best NFL head coach from monday till saturday". I truely believe the latter now. Or at least on par with hoody [from monday till saturday]. Game day...hmm, a lot to prove & thank goodness for Packers defense I'd say!

Packers4Glory
01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
I gotta say I'm excited about Masthay's development this season. I guess because its been awhile since we had a decent punter, but he seems to growing into the job and up right before our eyes. As the stakes got higher and higher his game got better and better. Compare that in contrast to the Jets punter who supposedly had a nice season only to choke come the playoffs.

I've seen the bears win a lot of games because of Maynard's punting ability over the years. I'm really really impressed w/ Masthay.

Bub
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm not ready to say the special teams are solid yet. Our punting game has improved but didn't the Pack just give up a 102 yard return last week? When is the last time we had a return for a score? Heck, it's been a while since we've started on the 40 or better after a kick off?

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm not ready to say the special teams are solid yet. Our punting game has improved but didn't the Pack just give up a 102 yard return last week? When is the last time we had a return for a score? Heck, it's been a while since we've started on the 40 or better after a kick off?

Tramon will take a punt to the house in the SB.

MichiganPackerFan
01-25-2011, 12:54 PM
I see your Hester and raise you Masthay : D

Little Whiskey
01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Masthay/coverage team neutralized Hester. that alone should bring kudos to the Special teams.

TravisWilliams23
01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
There's more to special teams than just punt coverage.

When was the last time the Packers blocked a punt or field goal attempt?

It would sure be nice to have a Desmond Howard type returner to scare the hell out of the opposition on every punt or kickoff.

Lot's of room for improvement but it does look like the punting department has been corrected.

Tony Oday
01-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Slocum sucks

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Tramon will take a punt to the house in the SB.

My Packer crystal ball vision showed me BJ Raji ramming Wrathlisburger into the turf and Hawk picking up his fumble for the easy six! Game Over!

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 05:08 PM
My Packer crystal ball vision showed me BJ Raji ramming Wrathlisburger into the turf and Hawk picking up his fumble for the easy six! Game Over!

Interesting. I had a vision of Woodson running with the ball by a whole bunch of Steelers and scoring.

Looks like they'll score 21 without the offense even needing to do anything.

Little Whiskey
01-25-2011, 07:35 PM
There's more to special teams than just punt coverage.

When was the last time the Packers blocked a punt or field goal attempt?

It would sure be nice to have a Desmond Howard type returner to scare the hell out of the opposition on every punt or kickoff.

Lot's of room for improvement but it does look like the punting department has been corrected.

if the packers defense shut down manning but never had an interception or sack would you say they were succesful?

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM

How about Hawk making the tackle and Raji scoring the touchdown. More entertaining!

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 07:42 PM
How about Hawk making the tackle and Raji scoring the touchdown. More entertaining!

That happens too!

Fritz
01-25-2011, 07:47 PM
You guys are getting out of control!

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 07:51 PM
You guys are getting out of control!

Come on Fritz! Have some!

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv123/7Greenlight/green-kool-aidman.jpg

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Just wait the John Kuhn halfback option midthrough 3rd quater where Jordy boy snatches Kuhn's high floater & J-boy finishes it of with a nasty goal post slam dunk!

Fritz
01-25-2011, 08:08 PM
When Skin posts that he thinks Atari Bigby is going to take one to the house, then I'll know there's LSD in that thar kool-aid, Joe.

TravisWilliams23
01-25-2011, 09:25 PM
if the packers defense shut down manning but never had an interception or sack would you say they were succesful?

What does shutting down manning? have to do with special teams???

Little Whiskey
01-25-2011, 09:51 PM

What does shutting down manning? have to do with special teams???

i was trying to say that the packers shut down the most dangerous kick returner in NFL history. that alone equal a very successful game, even though they didn't block a punt.

TravisWilliams23
01-25-2011, 10:12 PM
i was trying to say that the packers shut down the most dangerous kick returner in NFL history. that alone equal a very successful game, even though they didn't block a punt.

I'm still confused on which Manning your talking about. Danieal Manning from the Bears? He was listed at #19 for kick-off returns this year. Is he the most dangerous kick returner in NFL history?

My original post was about other areas of Green Bays "special teams" that need vast improvement. Recently, they seem to have gotten the punt coverage problems fixed. We're lacking a real "threat" at punt and kick returns and don't seem to have a snow ball chance at blocking a field goal attempt or punt. If the team can upgrade those spots, the Pack is just about unbeatable.

Iron Mike
01-25-2011, 11:12 PM
When Skin posts that he thinks Atari Bigby is going to take one to the house, then I'll know there's LSD in that thar kool-aid, Joe.

http://www.thesharkguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/atari-bigby-783795.jpg

Brohm
01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
I heard Kapinos name called during the AFCC. Is he seriously punting for the Steelers??

Little Whiskey
01-26-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm still confused on which Manning your talking about. Danieal Manning from the Bears? He was listed at #19 for kick-off returns this year. Is he the most dangerous kick returner in NFL history?

My original post was about other areas of Green Bays "special teams" that need vast improvement. Recently, they seem to have gotten the punt coverage problems fixed. We're lacking a real "threat" at punt and kick returns and don't seem to have a snow ball chance at blocking a field goal attempt or punt. If the team can upgrade those spots, the Pack is just about unbeatable.

HAHAHAH! i forgot about him. I ment Payton Manning.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 07:22 AM
I heard Kapinos name called during the AFCC. Is he seriously punting for the Steelers??

In all his 3.2 second hang-time glory