PDA

View Full Version : Could have been epic blunders

LEWCWA
01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Anyone else concerned with the poor decisions made at crucial times that could have derailed this thing in epic fashion? Starting with Tramon's int(need to get down), Raji's early celebration(very close to being a fumble), them Shields not getting down to end the game yesterday. I hope the whole team is getting an earful about being smart, because those great plays all could have turned a great ride into epic failure that we would have had to watch for the rest of our lives.....

denverYooper
01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Raji probably shouldn't have held the ball out but how many freaking times does a nose tackle get a pick 6 in the playoffs?

Whatever though. I'm sure they will get an earful behind closed doors. THE POINT REMAINS, THEY'RE GOING TO THE FREAKING SUPERBOWL! ENJOY IT MAN!

gbpackfan
01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
What about these:

1. IF Cutler didnt over-throw a bunch of guys they would have scored 21 points in the 1st half.

2. IF we didnt tackle Hester, he would have taken a PR to the house.

3. IF Jennings fumbled after one of his 8 receptions.

NONE of that happened. You can WHAT IF yourself to death my friend, no need to complain and make up scenarios in your head. Those things didnt happen and WE ARE going to the Superbowl. ENJOY IT!

pbmax
01-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Part of that is being a young team. The good news is that this young team seems to heed the coaching its given (see penalties this year, or punting). So hopefully they get that fixed.

LEWCWA
01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
What about these:

1. IF Cutler didnt over-throw a bunch of guys they would have scored 21 points in the 1st half.

NONE of that happened. You can WHAT IF yourself to death my friend, no need to complain and make up scenarios in your head. Those things didnt happen and WE ARE going to the Superbowl. ENJOY IT!

This is why I waited until today, yesterday was for celebration, today back to business....If you keep doing stupid things, it will catchup to you sooner or later. These are inexcuseable and it needs to "GET FIXED"!

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
We're going to the Super Bowl for only the third time in my lifetime. I'm 40 years old. I just can't play the What If game. Probably won't do it in the next two weeks either.

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Weeeeee!!!

gbgary
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
What about these:

your examples aren't the same type thing. lewcwa's points are well made.

pbmax
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Weeeeee!!!

No more trips to Chili's for you Harv. You are too old to handle it :)

Joemailman
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm sure lewcwa's points will be addressed in the film room. Even TT made mention of Raji holding the ball out before he had the TD.

Guiness
01-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Part of that is being a young team. The good news is that this young team seems to heed the coaching its given (see penalties this year, or punting). So hopefully they get that fixed.

Well put.

There were some mental blunders today, but overall we executed quite well. Emotions running high, and sometimes your brain gets checked at the door. I'm sure all three of those players knew, as soon as the play was over and they caught their breath, that they'd made a mistake.

I will say though, Shield's trying to run the ball back was the one that really scared me. He should've known to just get down. The ball popped out at the end, and that could have been disastrous.

Smidgeon
01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Weeeeee!!!

:D

Patler
01-24-2011, 12:19 PM
TT's comment:

"BJ is a good player. He is very athletic despite his size. He made a good play to get a touchdown. I didn't like the whole holding out the ball thing, but BJ is a good player. We've got guys who aren't afraid to try to make a play on defense."

gbpackfan
01-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Haha. Whatever. I would worry more about protection schemes than the lame points made in this post.

Guiness
01-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Haha. Whatever. I would worry more about protection schemes than the lame points made in this post.

I would argue they're far from lame.

While they're understandable, they are all potentially game changers, mental mistakes that can really swing the outcome of a game. And 100% avoidable.

This was a one score game. If something goes awry on any of the plays OP mentioned, we potentially have a tie game and OT.

steve823
01-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Raji probably shouldn't have held the ball out but how many freaking times does a nose tackle get a pick 6 in the playoffs?

Whatever though. I'm sure they will get an earful behind closed doors. THE POINT REMAINS, THEY'RE GOING TO THE FREAKING SUPERBOWL! ENJOY IT MAN!

I predict Raji to have another pick 6, 100 yards receiving, 100 yards rushing, and 3 sacks. Can't stop the guy !!

swede
01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
As long as we are somewhat near the topic, I don't blame DD for allowing the ball to ricochet off his foot four feet into the air into the hands of Lance Briggs. Part of the beauty of this game is the shape of the ball; in the right hands it throws with the rifled precision of a bullet, and when it hits the ground or bounces off of body parts it is anybody's guess where it will end up. In Atlanta the Jennings fumble popped right into the DBack's hands while he was in full stride. In Chicago it flies up into the waiting hands of Briggs. Agony-Joy-Football!

Guiness
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
As long as we are somewhat near the topic, I don't blame DD for allowing the ball to ricochet off his foot four feet into the air into the hands of Lance Briggs. Part of the beauty of this game is the shape of the ball; in the right hands it throws with the rifled precision of a bullet, and when it hits the ground or bounces off of body parts it is anybody's guess where it will end up. In Atlanta the Jennings fumble popped right into the DBack's hands while he was in full stride. In Chicago it flies up into the waiting hands of Briggs. Agony-Joy-Football!

That was one of the freakier plays I've seen this year.

red
01-24-2011, 02:00 PM
the raji thing is a non factor IMO, een if he wasn't in the endzone when the ball was knocked lose, cullen jenkins jumped on it in the endzone. very heads up play by him just to make sure. and i think it was nick collins that was also ready to pounce on the ball

OS PA
01-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Raji should have sat at the one yard line and waited for someone to come push him into the endzone. He could have milked another 15 seconds while Hanie sat there swatting at him.

red
01-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Raji should have sat at the one yard line and waited for someone to come push him into the endzone. He could have milked another 15 seconds while Hanie sat there swatting at him.

he should have put his head down and run right over hanie. that would have been the ultimate dagger. int, pick 6 and destroy their last QB

Packgator
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Raji should have sat at the one yard line and waited for someone to come push him into the endzone.

One couldn't do it. Would take two or three to move that man.

Joemailman
01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
he should have put his head down and run right over hanie. that would have been the ultimate dagger. int, pick 6 and destroy their last QB

Speaking of daggers, Larrivee announced the dagger after BJ's touchdown. I'm guessing he's Sam Shields' biggest fan right now.

Tarlam!
01-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Good thread.

LEWCWA
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry if you think smart football is lame, but these are the things that worry me. If I can, yell get down in the middle of jumping around my living room, they should be able to figure it out too. Smart teams win lots of games and championships! Dumb teams have their hearts ripped out!

TravisWilliams23
01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
LEWCA, I totally agree with your smart football statement.

Times I screamed at my TV set during yesterday's game:

After Pepper's was flagged for the helmet to the head of Rodgers and coach Rod Marinelli was bitching to the ref's on the sideline about the call. Fuck you asshole, it's a penalty so obvious even Aikman agreed with the call. Plus, Peppers can expect the $$$$$$ fine to arrive later this week.

After Rodgers threw the pick to Urlacher in the 3rd quarter near the goal line. He HAS to know the game situation and play accordingly. Even with a sack, a field goal put GB up by 3 scores and with the way the defense was playing, it's game-set-match. I'll cut Arod some slack because of the hit the face by Peppers but damn, what a game changer.

MM's 3rd and short play calling. Never understand trying to stretch a running play to the sidelines or the formations that allow Chicago to bunch the whole defense at the line to bull rush and overpower our line. True, he did try a few pass plays but Quarless and Crabtree aren't Finley.

Raji's potential bonehead showboating BEFORE he got into the endzone. Almost got into the annals of screw-ups like Leon Lett's infamous Super Bowl fumble in SB XLV vs the Bills. Let's was just "funny" because the score at the time was 52-17 Dallas. BJ's was a 7 point game at the time. No excuse.

Last, Shields not knowing the down and game situation. It's 4th down. Only needed to knock the ball down to end the game. The int was icing on the cake but anything more than 3 yards running without going down is inexcusable. Very fortunate none of those plays cost the Pack the game.

My heart can't take many more games like that!!

Happy as Hell we're in the Super Bowl and will savor the next 2 weeks.

Patler
01-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Last, Shields not knowing the down and game situation. It's 4th down. Only needed to knock the ball down to end the game. The int was icing on the cake but anything more than 3 yards running without going down is inexcusable. Very fortunate none of those plays cost the Pack the game.

I used to feel that way too, until this year when in a game (was it college or pro?) the DB on a hail mary leaped and two-hand spiked a ball almost straight down,, just as he was probably taught, right into the unexpecting arms of an opposing player running to get into the play. Touchdown! Ever since then I say if you can catch it, catch it. But then he should have crumpled to the ground out in the open with no one around, or have run out of bounds

swede
01-24-2011, 03:45 PM
MM: Sam...what do we teach on end-of-game-4th down picks?

Sam: On 4th down when it's do or die,
The opposing team gets one last try,
The coaches feelings you must not rumple,
Pick the ball and then you crumple.
Fumble the ball after its been picked,
And you will get your dumb ass kicked.

MM: Let's try to remember that, Sam.

Sam: (mumbled) And you could try to remember to get a damn first down once in a while so that the D isn't always saving your fat ass.

MM: What was that?

Sam: Nothing, Coach.

red
01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
hell the way the offense was playing in the second half i bet shields thought he needed to return that pick for a score because the O would just give the ball right back again

i remember that play you're talking about patler, it was a college game from this year

channtheman
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
hell the way the offense was playing in the second half i bet shields thought he needed to return that pick for a score because the O would just give the ball right back again

i remember that play you're talking about patler, it was a college game from this year

No it was Houston/Jacksonville.

Little Whiskey
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
listening to the MM press conf. right now. he gave Raji a minus 2 on his pick six. one for hanging his arm out at the 10 yard line and the other for his dance. He said he was upset when he watched the replay today and saw him running with his arm out.

bobblehead
01-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Wonder if you would have felt the same way if BJ had gotten stripped 1 yard earlier while hot dogging. Holmgren had a standing $1000 fine for untucking the ball before you got into the endzone...period. No appeal process.

bobblehead
01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I used to feel that way too, until this year when in a game (was it college or pro?) the DB on a hail mary leaped and two-hand spiked a ball almost straight down,, just as he was probably taught, right into the unexpecting arms of an opposing player running to get into the play. Touchdown! Ever since then I say if you can catch it, catch it. But then he should have crumpled to the ground out in the open with no one around, or have run out of bounds

I was goat of a game in high school when I did that very thing. I spiked the ball that hit me in the hands, but the receiver had fallen down. He caught it flat on his back. It had been a 25 yard pass or so, so I thought i was being smart and saving 25 yards of field position and we still had to burn a little clock. I was lucky when 2 plays later the QB fumbled the snap and we won, but FUCK did I feel like shit.

Lurker64
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
listening to the MM press conf. right now. he gave Raji a minus 2 on his pick six. one for hanging his arm out at the 10 yard line and the other for his dance. He said he was upset when he watched the replay today and saw him running with his arm out.

Do you think MM docked him for the dance because it was a poor dance, or because MM hates fun?

gbgary
01-24-2011, 06:47 PM
MM: Sam...what do we teach on end-of-game-4th down picks?

Sam: On 4th down when it's do or die,
The opposing team gets one last try,
The coaches feelings you must not rumple,
Pick the ball and then you crumple.
Fumble the ball after its been picked,
And you will get your dumb ass kicked.

MM: Let's try to remember that, Sam.

Sam: (mumbled) And you could try to remember to get a damn first down once in a while so that the D isn't always saving your fat ass.

MM: What was that?

Sam: Nothing, Coach.

this...ALL OF IT!

Little Whiskey
01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Do you think MM docked him for the dance because it was a poor dance, or because MM hates fun?

I liked the belt, but the dance was pretty lame. he needs to work on that

pbmax
01-24-2011, 07:11 PM

He's the new celebrity judge for "So You Think You Can Dance?" this season. And he didn't like that grind.

Plus, he was being facetious.

Iron Mike
01-24-2011, 07:26 PM
http://www.casttv.com/video/1cmom9s/b-j-raji-s-touchdown-vs-bears-high-quality-video

The belt is the funniest!!!! Somebody make a gif of that!!!!

red
01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
no way, the rolly polly dance was awesome

Fritz
01-24-2011, 08:52 PM
MM: "Dammit, BJ, what did we teach you about holding the ball after an interception?"

BJ: "Aw, coach. C'mon."

MM: (In his best Professor Turgeson voice) "SAY IT! SAY IT!!!"

BJ: "When you're playing zone and you get a pick,

Don't hold the ball like it's some guy's dick.

If you think you want to try to score,

keep it close like an expensive whore."

MM: "And that'll be a thousand dollar fine for singing so badly."

Bossman641
01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.casttv.com/video/1cmom9s/b-j-raji-s-touchdown-vs-bears-high-quality-video

The belt is the funniest!!!! Somebody make a gif of that!!!!

Waldo already did. I'll bump the thread.

Tarlam!
01-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Good thread.

Sorry if you think smart football is lame, but these are the things that worry me. If I can, yell get down in the middle of jumping around my living room, they should be able to figure it out too. Smart teams win lots of games and championships! Dumb teams have their hearts ripped out!

Not sure if your post was a reply to mine, LEWCWA. because it follws mine directly. If it is, you must have thought I was being sarcastic. to clarify: i wasn't at all. I think this is a good thread and you make valid points that have me concerned.

MadtownPacker
01-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Ah fuck it at this point. I knew it would be sloppy even when it was 14-0. Just had to be that way if you want a classic. Saying "remember when Raji had the pick six to send the bears home!" will be followed with "damn but he almost pulled a leon lett!". Plus it gives the guy from NFL films more shit to say.

Now if they do that shit against the steelers they are done for so Im glad they got it out of their system.

Smidgeon
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Games against the Bears are always sloppy.

packerbacker1234
01-25-2011, 12:17 AM
This is why I waited until today, yesterday was for celebration, today back to business....If you keep doing stupid things, it will catchup to you sooner or later. These are inexcuseable and it needs to "GET FIXED"!

Hey, you can say it catches up to you sooner or later, but whatever stupid shit they do apparently it works - because we're in the super bowl while 30 other teams are at home.

BobDobbs
01-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Sam Shields running it is a concern. Especially because after the Nick Collins pick to end the Bears game and Tramon's pick to end the Eagles game, both those guys ran. You'd think think that would have been covered in the film room. Tramon looked like he thought he had been touched down. So much adrenaline after the play i guess its hard to shut it down.

I think people are tripping way to hard about Raji. He flipped the ball at the end because he knew he had scored. Leon Lett never saw Don Bebe coming. Did it occur to anyone that Raji knew where he was on the field and could see Hanie running at him from the other side. If Hanie would have been a yard closer he just would have tucked the ball. Not a big deal.

Besides he just immortalized himself in Packers-Bears lore. That image of him holding the ball out is iconic. And the nasty dance in the endzone! Awesome. On the replays they were showing him from above the hips. It was like an Elvis TV appearance or something. I'm glad he did it. The brother's got swag and so does our defense.

Let's play the Super Bowl!

mission
01-25-2011, 01:02 AM
I like Raji's swag, Bob.

wootah
01-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Sam Shields running it is a concern.

Anyone saw his interview on packers.com on the run after the INT? "My thing was going to the TD, but everybody was saying 'Get down', but , you know, in my mind, I was trying to score so, you know." I'm pretty sure the staff will make it clear to him that it was a stupid thing to do. Sam will then write it down and study it after practice. He'll be fine.

For Raji, to his defense, he first checked whether there was no WR on the other side. I still think it's an avoidable risky play with that score in a game of that magnitude. Just tuck it away and score, and THEN use those hips for celebratory purposes all you like. He must be a beast during the carioca drills.

bobblehead
01-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Sam Shields running it is a concern. Especially because after the Nick Collins pick to end the Bears game and Tramon's pick to end the Eagles game, both those guys ran. You'd think think that would have been covered in the film room. Tramon looked like he thought he had been touched down. So much adrenaline after the play i guess its hard to shut it down.

I think people are tripping way to hard about Raji. He flipped the ball at the end because he knew he had scored. Leon Lett never saw Don Bebe coming. Did it occur to anyone that Raji knew where he was on the field and could see Hanie running at him from the other side. If Hanie would have been a yard closer he just would have tucked the ball. Not a big deal.

Besides he just immortalized himself in Packers-Bears lore. That image of him holding the ball out is iconic. And the nasty dance in the endzone! Awesome. On the replays they were showing him from above the hips. It was like an Elvis TV appearance or something. I'm glad he did it. The brother's got swag and so does our defense.

Let's play the Super Bowl!

So, when he was ten yards from the endzone he was so sure nothing could go wrong that he held it out like a kid with an ice cream cone? Sorry, I have zero use for this. And he did not "flip" it at the end, it was knocked out of his hands. And no, it did not occur to me that he is so smart he could calculate hanie's speed (a player he likely never saw run full out) so well that he knew the guy could not get to him in time. That he had it calculated so perfectly that Hanie got to the ball exactly 1/2 yard into the endzone.

Pugger
01-25-2011, 08:05 AM

If we are talking about freaky plays how about the fumble by Jones in the bare game in week 3 and how the ball stayed in bounds instead of going out of bounds like it usually does?? :-x

LEWCWA
01-25-2011, 12:27 PM

No Tarlem- I was refering to this guy. Anyhow, this is why I choose to not post around here much anymore.

I am a huge proponent of having fun while playing, but you have to play the game the right way all the time. Like Vince said (paraphrase here) "We will chase unachievable perfection, in the process we will acheive excellence". This is huge to me.

My biggest expertise these days is in girls fastpitch softball, as both my daughters play competitive travel ball. One is a freshman this year and was put on the Varsity team recently. Anyhow she spent the last few months worried about making varsity. All I told her, was that all the girls still playing at this age and level are good, the difference is in the offseason work put in and the small details. So if details are lame, have fun watching you kids play JV ball or whatever they do their whole career!

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 12:33 PM
No Tarlem- I was refering to this guy. Anyhow, this is why I choose to not post around here much anymore.

Someone calling your post lame keeps you from posting? It's an interesting thread and you made good points. Keep posting.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
If we are talking about freaky plays how about the fumble by Jones in the bare game in week 3 and how the ball stayed in bounds instead of going out of bounds like it usually does?? :-x

Not really freaky. If Jones had been carrying the ball in his outside arm as he should have been doing, the ball would have fallen out of bounds. It was bad play, not bad luck.

LEWCWA
01-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Someone calling your post lame keeps you from posting? It's an interesting thread and you made good points. Keep posting.

Actually, this is pretty minor, but it seems everytime you post something around here you have to defend against things like this and personal attacks. (like your an idiot, DF, etc..., or things like this) no reasoning why this shit doesn't matter, its just lame. Anyhow life is way too short, I'm done with this.

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Actually, this is pretty minor, but it seems everytime you post something around here you have to defend against things like this and personal attacks. (like your an idiot, DF, etc..., or things like this) no reasoning why this shit doesn't matter, its just lame. Anyhow life is way too short, I'm done with this.

OK, see ya around the block

swede
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM

What if some people tell you that your posts are interesting and your avatar is pretty?

Because, honestly, your posts are interesting and your avatar is really pretty and if you ever find a site that doesn't allow a certain amount of nastiness it often loses personality as well.

You put your stuff out there and if you get three people calling you an idiot and one person liking it you can call it a good day on Packerrats.

LEWCWA
01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
I have no problem with a difference in opinion.....if you disagree, there must be a reason, give it and discuss it. I disagree with plenty around here. Either I ignore it or disagree with a reason. I'm sure some don't think these things matter much in the grand scheme of things, and if you don't let us know why. Not "lame", thats no way to go through life son!

vince
01-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Anyone else concerned with the poor decisions made at crucial times that could have derailed this thing in epic fashion? Starting with Tramon's int(need to get down), Raji's early celebration(very close to being a fumble), them Shields not getting down to end the game yesterday. I hope the whole team is getting an earful about being smart, because those great plays all could have turned a great ride into epic failure that we would have had to watch for the rest of our lives.....
Tramon thought he was down in the endzone. It's a mistake, but not a bad one.
Shields is a rookie going on instincts. His instincts were to take it to the house. A mistake, yes, but those are instincts I'll take all day long.
Raji showboating and not protecting the ball at the 10-yard line. Yeah that's a mistake that should be corrected hard.

I don't see a trend in this area that is upsetting. In fact, hopefully guys keep making game winning plays to "correct." Another showboating episode before the whistle and that could be a problem, but there's no concern at all with Williams or Shields IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Ted Thompson is good.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Those things need to be addressed, but there is a long tradition of defensive players doing foolish things when they get the ball in their hands. At least Sam didn't try a lateral.

LEWCWA
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Tramon thought he was down in the endzone. It's a mistake, but not a bad one.
Shields is a rookie going on instincts. His instincts were to take it to the house. A mistake, yes, but those are instincts I'll take all day long.
Raji showboating and not protecting the ball at the 10-yard line. Yeah that's a mistake that should be corrected hard.

I don't see a trend in this area that is upsetting. In fact, hopefully guys keep making game winning plays to "correct." Another showboating episode before the whistle and that could be a problem, but there's no concern at all with Williams or Shields IMO.

excellent post, IMO---I agree, Tramon thought he was down. I just wish he would have made sure by downing the ball...I view instincts and rookie as a weak excuse for Shields. Undoubtedly, he has been playing football for a long time and should understand the game. I guess that is my point, smart teams and players are more successful in the long run. If you start to ignore the little things, it won't be long before the little thing list gets longer and your the Bengals! I also think Raji saw QB coming and thought he would coast in. I positive that he was shocked the guy almost got there, and assume that won't happen again!

Patler
01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
The bothersome thing about Raji's showboating jaunt into the endzone is that D-linemen aren't exactly accustomed to handling a football. Sticking it out like he did 10 yards out from the endzone could have ended in him simply dropping it, without contact from others. Or, on a somewhat slippery, less than perfect field he could have taken a misstep, loosened his grip and lost the ball in the process.

Further, if Raji "flipped" the ball because he knew he scored, as some of you have argued, it was an even dumber move. I just watched it again on TIVO, using pause and frame advance. The ball was out of his hand just before his first foot hit down in the endzone, not much over the goal line. By then, he was holding the ball more to the side than to the front. If Chicago had recovered and decided to challenge, the goal line angles would have been very interesting as to whether he still did have control as he crossed the goal line. I suspect he did, but not by much.

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Dumb play by Raji. Same with Shields. Two young guys put in situations they aren't accustomed to. Hopefully, they learn from it.

BobDobbs
01-25-2011, 06:29 PM
This is an interesting thread. All the sports shows are talking about twitter and we are talking about the nuances of football. That's why I come here.

I think this thread is getting at a very important question. As far as the specific game instances. I still think that Raji's play was less serious because he could see the QB coming. However, if he tucks that thing in his arm and sprints to the pylon he clearly raises his probability of cleanly scoring six.

Sam saying he just wanted to score, wow. Mr. Shields you just won the game, the only thing you have to do now is collect the Halas Trophy.

But that is the challenge of football. Shields is aggressive and Raji plays with swagger. Those qualities raise both their games, but the goal is to walk that tightrope between instinctive force and clear presence of mind.

I think there is a bigger question that is being raised. Is this a dumb team? Or a team prone to glaring mistakes? I thought so coming into the playoffs. I didn't trust that we wouldn't do something ridiculous to lose a game when there is no more margin for error.

Jones holding the ball in the wrong hand in the first bears game.
Allowing an o lineman to return a kickoff to the four.
Jennings tipping the ball to the Lion's defender.
Some questionable time management late in games.
Basically all the reasons we lost six close games.

And it hasn't stopped during the playoff run. We put the ball on the ground four times against Philly, had a TD drop, and I think that was the Underwood gets run into the ball moment. We allowed another kickoff return for a touchdown against Atlanta. Rodgers threw a terrible interception to Urlacher, Tramon fumbled two punts, Collins and Woodson spotted the Bears a touchdown, and we didn't even have the forsight to let Todd Collins complete a pass once in awhile to keep Hanie on the bench.

Ok,kidding about that last one. But I will say that if we had been playing crisper football all year We'd be 13-3 and rolling into the Super Bowl right now after three big blowouts.

Ah, but where is the fun in that?

vince
01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Perhaps there's a question of second-guessing fans' unrealistic expectations of perfection. It's one thing to second guess every call and play, but it's another to think anything less than perfection means inevitable loss and unacceptability.

This is an incredibly talented team and organization of imperfect human beings that are gaining valuable experience on the fly - while being better than the other teams and organizations at the same time. Enjoy the ride.

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Jones holding the ball in the wrong hand in the first bears game.
Allowing an o lineman to return a kickoff to the four.
Jennings tipping the ball to the Lion's defender.
Some questionable time management late in games.
Basically all the reasons we lost six close games.

Those things contributed to a couple of losses. Packers lost 3-4 games because Rodgers had two concussions, Matthews had a bad hammy and because they had to reset from a rapid string of injuries all happening at the same time. They are solid. The little mistakes we're talking about here - if they all happen together, in the same game, at the same time - might screw things up. But it's more than likely going to come down to the best players making great plays at critical times and everyone else supporting that with solid play.

Fritz
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
It would've been much safer and more entertaining had Raji held the ball against his crotch and humped it while he jogged into the end zone.

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 09:19 PM
It would've been much safer and more entertaining had Raji held the ball against his crotch and humped it while he jogged into the end zone.

Like Mendenhall did to Roethlisberger?