PDA

View Full Version : LBer Brady Poppinga back from ACL injury

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Posted August 8, 2006

Linebacker Poppinga back from ACL injury

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Less than eight months after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, Green Bay Packers linebacker Brady Poppinga was cleared to practice Monday.

Poppinga suited up in full pads Monday night although he was limited in team drills, but that didn't diminish the excitement for Poppinga and his fellow linebackers.

"You know Brady, he wanted to be out there as soon as possible," linebacker Nick Barnett said. "He made it back pretty quickly. He was so happy to be out there. You could just see it on his face."

Poppinga steadily improved during his rookie season. After spending most of the season as a backup, Poppinga played his way into the starting lineup at strong-side linebacker. It was in that first start against the Detroit Lions on Dec. 11 that Poppinga tore his ACL while covering a kickoff in the fourth quarter.

"It was tough to lose him like that," Barnett said. "He was at the point where he was really beginning to contribute for us when he got hurt."

Poppinga was unavailable for comment Monday, but linebackers coach Winston Moss said he's been impressed with how Poppinga has handled himself this offseason while trying to get healthy.

"He had a phenomenal workout schedule this offseason, rehabbing the injury," Moss said. "It's a compliment to Brady that he was able to get himself into the position where he can be back out here at practice."

Throughout the minicamps, the organized team activities and training camp, Poppinga always has been on the practice field with his teammates, something that's not common with injured players.

"Mental reps are good, but it's better to actually be out there executing the plays," Moss said. "It's going to be a process for him, but he has a great attitude, and he wants to learn. He's extremely hungry, and you enjoy coaching guys like that."

Both Moss and Packers coach Mike McCarthy pointed to Poppinga's superb conditioning as a major reason why he got back on the field so quickly after such a bad injury.

"With a guy like Brady, he's off the charts with his ability to work out," Moss said. "He's a tremendous athlete, and that had a lot to do with the why he was able to rebound so well."

McCarthy said the team may have to reel Poppinga in a bit to make sure he doesn't try to do too much until the knee is completely healed.

"He can go out there and try to go 100 percent, but we're going to keep him out of the team drills for now," McCarthy said. "We're going to be smart with him."

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !

red
08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
now, we have more then enough LBers (6 good ones)

why not try brady out at DE and see if he can do anything? it was his position in college

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 12:23 PM
wow, there's an idea.

Deputy Nutz
08-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Here is a picture I got of Brady Riding a bike.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m18/nutz55_2006/f020d846.jpg

Apparently Brady Popinga and Junius Coston and their wives like to hang out. I was eves droping and Brady was already running like 2 months after the surgery and was really 100% healthy like 4 months after the surgery. He is a health nut, and he eats all this weird healthy food, like tofu.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2006, 12:37 PM

why not try brady out at DE and see if he can do anything? it was his position in college

I like the idea, but I think hes a little to small.

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Is he smaller than Kaampman?

Deputy Nutz
08-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I believe he played defensive end his junior or senior year, but was an outside linebacker in the teams 3-4, I don't remember the year they switched.

Anyways, Poppinga played college ball at around 255 pounds if not a little more, but dropped to like 240 to play linebacker with the Packers. I think he is healthier and a better all around player at 240.

The linebackers on this team are going to be,

Barnett
Hawk
Hodge
Taylor
Manning
Poppinga

BlueBrewer
08-09-2006, 12:42 PM

Apparently Brady Popinga and Junius Coston and their wives like to hang out. I was eves droping and Brady was already running like 2 months after the surgery and was really 100% healthy like 4 months after the surgery. He is a health nut, and he eats all this weird healthy food, like tofu.

Is that BF4MVP and Greg Jennings in the background?

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Is he smaller than Kaampman?

This is from packers.com

Kampman: Ht: 6' 4", Wt: 278 lbs.

Brady: Ht: 6'3'', Wt: 245lbs.

He is smaller, but I was suprise he was that tall. Interesting.....

red
08-09-2006, 12:49 PM

he's listed at 6'4 245

kgb is listed at 6'4 250, but i have heard where kgb's playing weight is 5-10 pounds less then that. so they're about the same size and they look like they're built about the same

it might be nice to have another small speed rusher on the other side of the line on 3rd downs

justanotherpackfan
08-09-2006, 12:59 PM
He is a health nut, and he eats all this weird healthy food, like tofu.
So? :smile:

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2006, 01:02 PM

he's listed at 6'4 245

kgb is listed at 6'4 250, but i have heard where kgb's playing weight is 5-10 pounds less then that. so they're about the same size and they look like they're built about the same

it might be nice to have another small speed rusher on the other side of the line on 3rd downs

The difference is that KGB is a hell of a lot faster--which helps him make up for his size. I think eventually you could see Brady Pop in a role similar to Bryce Paup, but you won't see him as a full-time DE. He'll likely get snaps at LB (when injuries happen there) and as a situational pass rusher.

red
08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
true, but with all that speed KGB has he can really only do one thing with it. get down in a sprinters starting possition, explode down the field in a straight line, and hope the qb meets him 10 yards behind the line.

brady seems like more of a brawler type to me. he might just be able to do the unthinkable.

use two or more moves and get inside the pocket

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2006, 01:11 PM
KGB has more than one move, but people that believe that won't change their opinion. You don't get 57 sacks in 5 years being a one trick pony. He has surprising strength, and will occasionally beat an OL with power. He also has a hell of spin move. Most OTs don't have to play against DEs that can beat them outside or spin on them and go inside.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Only one problem, who's going to run the idea past MM. :smile:

Partial
08-09-2006, 01:21 PM

If I was a betting man, i'd say yes it was. That's funny!

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I think I'd rather see KGB moved to linebacker than Pop moved to DE. We've already got one DE that's too small and only has a speed rush move. We don't need two. Here's how I picture this working.

It's third and long, Grossman takes the snap, Pop and KGB both put the outside speed rush on, and as Grossman steps up into the pocket, Pop and KGB suddenly see one another but it's too late, they colide behind Grossman as he throws a 78 yard touchdown pass.

Note: As Grossman peddles backwards watching his arching throw, he trips over both of them as they lye dormant, and injures his ankle. He's out for the season. On second thought, maybe it is a good idea!! :mrgreen:

Partial
08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I think I'd rather see KGB moved to linebacker than Pop moved to DE. We've already got one DE that's too small and only has a speed rush move. We don't need two. Here's how I picture this working.

It's third and long, Grossman takes the snap, Pop and KGB both put the outside speed rush on, and as Grossman steps up into the pocket, Pop and KGB suddenly see one another but it's too late, they colide behind Grossman as he throws a 78 yard touchdown pass.

Note: As Grossman peddles backwards watching his arching throw, he trips over both of them as they lye dormant, and injures his ankle. He's out for the season. On second thought, maybe it is a good idea!! :mrgreen:

Pop isn't going to play DE. He will be a pass-rusher though on third and longs.

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Come on Partial, you didn't even give me props on my post. I thought it was damn funny!

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 01:52 PM

If I was a betting man, i'd say yes it was. That's funny!

and. . Isn't that Laura Quinn Hawk, way over there on the left, following Dr. Nutz around? :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Crank up, "the amazing thoughts". :mrgreen:

Partial
08-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Come on Partial, you didn't even give me props on my post. I thought it was damn funny!

I only read the first line, let me reread it. I'm falling asleep in the office man!!

Partial
08-09-2006, 02:00 PM

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol: You know griese's gonna be the starter by the time the season opens. Grossmen will fall down the stairs or something.

Row 67
08-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Brady's mormon, right? Is that one of his wives carrying his helmet?

Deputy Nutz
08-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Holy shit I think that is BFMVP, Wist43, and GregJennings! I got them on film!

RashanGary
08-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah..That's us in the brady poppinga picutre.

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah..That's us in the brady poppinga picutre.

That's some funny shit. Fuck David Schwimmer. Jennings looks like Rex Grossman in that picture. BF is a lanky lad. Strangely, wist looks like I pictured him.
:D