PDA

View Full Version : Injuries in game NFCCC?

Guiness
01-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Did we come out of the game pretty much unscathed?

Clifton and Rodger's both got their bells rung, but came back. I just saw an interview with Clifton, and I think he had his fingers crossed when he said it was 'just a stinger'. I'm guessing we'll be hearing a lot more about stingers as players are worried about being forced to sit.

Someone mentioned Walden in the game thread. Is he hurt?

edit: damn, can't seem to edit that ridiculous thread title

red
01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
rotoworld says that walden suffered an ankle injury and that his status is unclear for the super bowl

pbmax
01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Someone at the press conference asked about Rodgers shoulder after his TD dive to the pylon. McCarthy said he was sore like any other QB at this time of year, but didn't directly address the question.

pbmax
01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Clifton in his PC said he didn't think he would miss any practice.

Guiness
01-24-2011, 07:50 PM

Really? Have his knees suddenly gotten better?

pbmax
01-24-2011, 07:57 PM
He said they feel better than they have all year.

hoosier
01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I was a little worried about Rodgers after his bootleg TD when he came up looking a little gimpy. But that was nothing compared to what happened to him after the Peppers PF. He looked totally out of whack after that hit. After the two concussions every time he gets contacted I was shocked to see him able to stay in the game.

Joemailman
01-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Really? Have his knees suddenly gotten better?

They are probably not practicing until Friday.

Smidgeon
01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
I just saw an interview with Clifton, and I think he had his fingers crossed when he said it was 'just a stinger'.

Well, to my amateur eyes, at the game it was looking like they were checking out arm strength. The exercises they were putting him through had nothing to do with his head and more to do with his arms. If he stretched a nerve in his neck (i.e. stinger), they needed to make sure he didn't lose any strength in his arms.

Well, that's just my two cents.

Fritz
01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I really believe that Rodgers was not the same after he had his bell rung. Even after he scored the TD run he looked pretty shaken up. I think he played the way he did after those incidents in part because he was dazed by those hits.

denverYooper
01-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I really believe that Rodgers was not the same after he had his bell rung. Even after he scored the TD run he looked pretty shaken up. I think he played the way he did after those incidents in part because he was dazed by those hits.

Was just going to post something similar. I really wonder if Rodgers got a concussion on that Pep hit.

Joemailman
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM
MM has acknowledged that Rodgers has a sore shoulder. It likely occurred on that hit he took when he scored on the 1st drive. he was 4-4 for 76 yards up until that point. He was 13-26-168-2 INT the rest of the day.

The hit by Peppers looked pretty intentional. He either thought they wouldn't call the penalty, or he was trying to knock Rodgers out of the game.

MadtownPacker
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM
You bitches are on the money. ARod was not the same after that cheap shot. Which I think was a torpedo mission by peppers. At that point it was the only way they could win the game. Almost worked. Im just glad he has two weeks to get over it but I'm thinking he did get another one. His eyes seemed a little crazy when he did the post game interview on the field. He looked like he did in the ATL game up until the mob hit job.

gbgary
01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
he got hit pretty hard on his td but he threw a bunch of good passes after that so i don't think there's a problem there. the replay is on nfl network tomorrow.

Bossman641
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Wasn't the hit from Peppers at about the midpoint of the 4th quarter. Going by memory but I think that occurred around the 8:00 mark. Then they had the Jennings pass interference on Driver before punting. Raji had the pick 6 next.

Not saying Rodgers didn't get a concussion, but he was stuggling way before the Peppers' hit.

Brandon494
01-24-2011, 10:00 PM

You could tell that TD run hurt him because he went with the mini belt celebration instead of going all out. Im not going to bitch too much about the playcall since we scored the TD BUT we should have just like Kuhn take it right up the middle.

As for the Peppers hit I don't know how he even got up from that. Both QBs took a beating that game.

MadtownPacker
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
You could tell that TD run hurt him because he went with the mini belt celebration instead of going all out. Im not going to bitch too much about the playcall since we scored the TD BUT we should have just like Kuhn take it right up the middle.

As for the Peppers hit I don't know how he even got up from that. Both QBs took a beating that game.I have bitched about M3 running it but that was before Starks started plowing defenders down. Guess I kinda agree but still liked the TD.

denverYooper
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
You bitches are on the money. ARod was not the same after that cheap shot. Which I think was a torpedo mission by peppers. At that point it was the only way they could win the game. Almost worked. Im just glad he has two weeks to get over it but I'm thinking he did get another one. His eyes seemed a little crazy when he did the post game interview on the field. He looked like he did in the ATL game up until the mob hit job.

He had his hat pulled down pretty low in his locker room interview too.

Patler
01-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Wasn't the hit from Peppers at about the midpoint of the 4th quarter. Going by memory but I think that occurred around the 8:00 mark. Then they had the Jennings pass interference on Driver before punting. Raji had the pick 6 next.

Not saying Rodgers didn't get a concussion, but he was stuggling way before the Peppers' hit.

Before the Peppers hit, Rodgers was 15/23 had two interceptions and threw one away. Of the other 5 that were incomplete, three came in the Packers second possession of the game. Most of his incompletions were on deep throws. I didn't see him struggle at all.

After the Peppers hit he was 2/7, missing 3 short throws to Quarless, a short one to Crabtree and a midrange throw to Driver.

Bossman641
01-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Before the Peppers hit, Rodgers was 15/23 had two interceptions and threw one away. Of the other 5 that were incomplete, three came in the Packers second possession of the game. Most of his incompletions were on deep throws. I didn't see him struggle at all.

After the Peppers hit he was 2/7, missing 3 short throws to Quarless, a short one to Crabtree and a midrange throw to Driver.

Thanks Patler.

I think my memory is skewed by the 2 drives prior to the Peppers hit. After the Urlacher INT, the Packers had 2 ineffective drives that were more the result of a couple holding penalties and Jackson's -5 yard run where Urlacher had a free run.

Smeefers
01-25-2011, 08:10 AM

I was skewed by the poor play before hand too, but from what I remembered he was still throwing pretty much on target until he got nailed by Peppers. After that hit, Rodgers was throwing like, well, Cutler. He got nailed when the bears really ramped up their attack on defense and ended up getting a ton of penalties in a row. I don't know if the hit was an intentional "hit" or if it was just the bears D saying "we have to win this now" and it was just a result of that intensity.

Patler
01-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Did anyone else notice how many of Rodgers' "misses" were throws to Quarless? On at least one, Rodgers seemed a bit frustrated with what Quarless had done. Coincidence, or a rookie still learning?

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Did anyone else notice how many of Rodgers' "misses" were throws to Quarless? On at least one, Rodgers seemed a bit frustrated with what Quarless had done. Coincidence, or a rookie still learning?

Well, the third down and 4 pass, was a clear drop by Quarless, and two others were partly on him as well. One was that sinker as Rodgers was rolling left. A little low, but catchable. The other I think Quarless cut outside late, but not sure. Of course, Fox had no idea what was going on and had no replays of the route running in the secondary, so who the hell knows other than the coaches?

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 10:53 AM

At least Quarless isn't calling out Rodgers to the media complaining about where the ball is being thrown and being underutilized...

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 11:32 AM
At least Quarless isn't calling out Rodgers to the media complaining about where the ball is being thrown and being underutilized...

Maybe he should. It seemed to work for TGIFinley. :)

vince
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I think it's a rookie thing. Quarless just needs to run those routes live more and have a better feel for where the defense is going to be. He's still thinking too much about hot reads, where the defenders are, etc. IMO.

That said, I like Quarless as a good complement to Finley eventually, but he has nowhere near the athletic ability Finley has, even though he's actually a tad faster and has pretty much the same physique. Finley's a freak that catches everything and can't be guarded. Quarless could be good some day.

Bub
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
In Finleys first year he didn't look all that great either (his hands or routes). I don't mean to defend Quarless, I'm just saying....

vince
01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
In Finleys first year he didn't look all that great either (his hands or routes). I don't mean to defend Quarless, I'm just saying....

Ahmad Carroll ran a 4.29 but had no instincts or ball skills. Sam Shields runs a 4.29 and has good, maybe great, instincts and ball skills. I'm not saying Quarless is Carroll by any stretch, but Finley is an absolute freak of an athlete who needed time to mature and figure stuff out. So has Quarless but I don't see him ever being the game-changer that Finley is when healthy. JMO I've been wrong before and will be again.

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Rodgers threw one quick slant way too hard. Other than that, Q seemed to be out of position on one and drop another that was a little low. He had a tough day but he's been playing better lately.

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 12:17 PM
First, let me make this clear: In my opinion, Finley is far and away a better player than Quarless ever will be. But this post is more to show that Quarless isn't a slouch either.

In Quarless' rookie year (relative to Finley's), he's played in one fewer game and started two more (plus three in the playoffs now). He has 15 more receptions for 164 more yards. They both had the same number of TDs (1), but Quarless fumbled one ball to Finley's none.

The real difference (although subtle) is in their averages and longs. Finley averaged a full yard longer on receptions and had a long reception that was 12 yards longer than Quarless'. Which showed that in his six receptions his rookie year that he had the talent to stretch the field.

Quarless has had almost four times the receptions Finley did, but hasn't caught a longer ball. I think he'll be the possession TE who can get deep enough, but Finley will be the WR TE who can break a game wide open.

vince
01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
First, let me make this clear: In my opinion, Finley is far and away a better player than Quarless ever will be. But this post is more to show that Quarless isn't a slouch either.

In Quarless' rookie year (relative to Finley's), he's played in one fewer game and started two more (plus three in the playoffs now). He has 15 more receptions for 164 more yards. They both had the same number of TDs (1), but Quarless fumbled one ball to Finley's none.

The real difference (although subtle) is in their averages and longs. Finley averaged a full yard longer on receptions and had a long reception that was 12 yards longer than Quarless'. Which showed that in his six receptions his rookie year that he had the talent to stretch the field.

Quarless has had almost four times the receptions Finley did, but hasn't caught a longer ball. I think he'll be the possession TE who can get deep enough, but Finley will be the WR TE who can break a game wide open.
Great post Smidge. And Quarless does have some wheels. They could be a nightmare match-up as a 2-TE set.

packrulz
01-25-2011, 12:23 PM
I think the Packers came out of it pretty decent health-wise, but the Steelers Pro-Bowl center is gimpy, that should have Raji licking his chops:Steelers C Pouncey expects to be ready

Posted by Andy Benoit

This probably needed to be included in the 10 Super Bowl Stories You’ll Get Sick of Hearing : will Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey play in the Super Bowl?

The first-round rookie and Pro Bowler suffered a high ankle sprain in the first half against the Jets. (That’s actually good news – the injury looked much more serious than that.) Asked if he’ll play, Pouncey, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , said, "Most definitely.

I had this same injury before on my other ankle and I know how to attack it. I know how to approach things. I know in my heart I'm playing in that game."

Asked about the pain he felt, Pouncey described it as “the worst ever”.

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 12:26 PM
This probably needed to be included in the 10 Super Bowl Stories You’ll Get Sick of Hearing : will Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey play in the Super Bowl?

Maybe they can sign Barret Robbins to take his place.

Guiness
01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Rodgers threw one quick slant way too hard. Other than that, Q seemed to be out of position on one and drop another that was a little low. He had a tough day but he's been playing better lately.

One of the passes was definitely a laser that would've went through anyone's hands. It was a high pass, so Quarless couldn't cushion it in, he had to reach for it and it passed right through his hands. I remember seeing it and thinking Rodgers put way too much on the ball, but maybe there was another receiver behind him that it was intended for?

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Great post Smidge. And Quarless does have some wheels. They could be a nightmare match-up as a 2-TE set.

Yes, Quarless has wheels. I think he's fast enough to get as deep as necessary, but not fast enough to beat DBs.

vince
01-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes, Quarless has wheels. I think he's fast enough to get as deep as necessary, but not fast enough to beat DBs.
Hopefully he'll work hard in the offseason and, like Finley, be too big for them to handle.

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Hopefully he'll work hard in the offseason and, like Finley, be too big for them to handle.

Agreed. Because if I'm reading between the lines correctly, Finley's getting more and more upset with the Packers and will take off as soon as possible.

OS PA
01-25-2011, 01:31 PM

As for the Peppers hit I don't know how he even got up from that. Both QBs took a beating that game.

You mean all four QBs took a beating that game ;).

pbmax
01-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Agreed. Because if I'm reading between the lines correctly, Finley's getting more and more upset with the Packers and will take off as soon as possible.

What exactly is he getting upset about?

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Is he texting badness from his Igloo again?

HowardRoark
01-25-2011, 02:05 PM

The quality and quantity of women in Wausau bars.

packers11
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
pft.com

Finley, Barnett feel left out by Packers

The Packers have done a great job overcoming all their key injuries this year. They could perhaps do a better job making those injured players still feel part of the team.

Linebacker Nick Barnett and tight end Jermichael Finley took to Twitter Tuesday to express their disappointment that they won’t be allowed to be part of the official Super Bowl team photo.

“It’s kinda sad to think .. Just goes you injured yourself you not part,” Barnett wrote.

“We got hurt playing for the team. Its not like we got injury bs’in around,” Finley wrote. “And its a team rule! Shame . . . I never trip abt anything, but the way IR players are getting treated not cool… I guess its what have u done for me lately!”

We know this isn’t a huge story, but it highlights the distance that injured players often feel to their healthy teammates.

The team photo is usually taken at the conclusion of Media Day (Tuesday). Teams often have players on injured reserve present for Media Day

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 02:12 PM

See above.

get louder at lambeau
01-25-2011, 02:20 PM
I know in my heart I'm playing in that game."

Asked about the pain he felt, Pouncey described it as “the worst ever”.

In his heart. Awe. What does he know in his brain though? That it's not a two week injury.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114584679.html

UPDATE: This was a team decision. Packers director of public relations Jeff Blumb said the Packers will be taking the Super Bowl team picture on Tuesday. The injured reserve players will arrive in Dallas on Thursday, and while they aren't involved in team meetings, practices, etc., they will be on the sidelines for the game. Blumb said it was important that many, if not all, of the injured players stay on their rehabilitation schedules as well, which is part of the reason why they're coming to Dallas later.

Having 16 Packers players on IR is the main issue; team trainers will be working with the 53 roster players and practice squad members in Dallas, without the same resources they would have in Green Bay.

"It was a team decision, a decision driven by the fact that we can't manage the sheer number of players on IR and also get our team ready to win this game," said Blumb. The intention is not to leave anyone feeling slighted. "Every decision we make is about what is best to try to win a championship."

Barnett on twitter: "I was not trying to be a distraction, nor was I downing the organization, they have done so much for me over last 8 years. Just saying I am sad that it worked out the way it did.. This game is bigger then my feelings and my body of work.. It's about "One Goal"!

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
See above.

What have teams done in the past?

vince
01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Most teams in the Super Bowl in the past didn't have half an army on IR.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
The issue is having the number of players (16) on IR that the Packers have. If they had just a handful, like many teams, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 02:34 PM
ESPN's Kevin Seifert does a good job of summarizing (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/23389/page/espntexas/xlv-hurt-feelings-over-team-photo).

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Most teams in the Super Bowl in the past didn't have half an army on IR.

Cannon fodder players - and thankfully no important officers were injured. Still, there's a good chance that the Packers regular season record might have been better without the injuries; but I still believe that the injuries just made TT work harder 'cos the core of really, really important Packer players was intact. And here we are. :smile:

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Cannon fodder players - and thankfully no important officers were injured. Still, there's a good chance that the Packers regular season record might have been better without the injuries; but I still believe that the injuries just made TT work harder 'cos the core of really, really important Packer players was intact. And here we are. :smile:

You've made a comment along these lines in the past. Why is Finley's injury no big deal?

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Finley was becoming the best TE in the NFC. Maybe the league.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
You've made a comment along these lines in the past. Why is Finley's injury no big deal?

Because it is more difficult to denigrate MM if you acknowledge that the injuries were a significant issue.

Brandon494
01-25-2011, 05:23 PM

QFT

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 07:55 PM

When did I utter that Finley's injury was no big deal?

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 07:57 PM

Yeah, could be, yet it's still a fantasy post. Nitpicking aside, I think you're right! :smile:

Fritz
01-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Back to Quarless...that third and four was a drop. Yes, Rodgers threw it hard but he had to fit it in, and it went right through Quarless's hands. A drop. It was the one time in the game when I thought, "Man, I wish Finley was in there."

I think Finley's hands are better than Quarless's hands. Finley seems to catch everything.

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Back to Quarless...that third and four was a drop. Yes, Rodgers threw it hard but he had to fit it in, and it went right through Quarless's hands. A drop. It was the one time in the game when I thought, "Man, I wish Finley was in there."

I think Finley's hands are better than Quarless's hands. Finley seems to catch everything.

Nope! Finley lives in an igloo and, for the love of life, he just can't catch a cold.

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 08:33 PM

I believe Finley's hands are better but I don't know if he would have grabbed that torpedo.

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 09:31 PM
When did I utter that Finley's injury was no big deal?

Maybe I read too much into it, but when you said that all the IR players were "cannon fodder" with no "captains", I assumed you meant that none of the IR'ed players were worth anything.

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I believe Finley's hands are better but I don't know if he would have grabbed that torpedo.

One of the reporters for either the JSO or the GBPG said that Finley had the best hands he'd seen in 20 years. I bet he would have caught that.

Guiness
01-25-2011, 09:41 PM
One of the reporters for either the JSO or the GBPG said that Finley had the best hands he'd seen in 20 years. I bet he would have caught that.

He could have...I just hope he doesn't have a 10 cent brain to go along with those million dollar hands. I really don't like the sounds of those posts on twitter regarding being 'disrespected'.

Iron Mike
01-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I think Cutler hurt his mangina during the game.....just sayin'

easy cheesy
01-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I think Cutler hurt his mangina during the game.....just sayin'

He could've used one of those CT "cups" over in the GC on the FUPA thread..... just sayin'...

Iron Mike
01-25-2011, 11:03 PM
http://media.jsonline.com/images/Skirt.jpeg

mmmdk
01-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Maybe I read too much into it, but when you said that all the IR players were "cannon fodder" with no "captains", I assumed you meant that none of the IR'ed players were worth anything.

Finley is very talented & this was supposed to be his true breakout season...he's a mere sergeant at this point though but the sky's the limit or will his photo session rant clip his wings? Finley should keep his head cool in his igloo & get ready for next season.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 07:27 AM

What are we talking about here?

swede
01-26-2011, 07:37 AM
What are we talking about here?

Fritz might be another dot with which to connect an unrelated line.

From Fritz:

MM: "Dammit, BJ, what did we teach you about holding the ball after an interception?"

BJ: "Aw, coach. C'mon."

MM: (In his best Professor Turgeson voice) "SAY IT! SAY IT!!!"

BJ: "When you're playing zone and you get a pick,

Don't hold the ball like it's some guy's dick.

If you think you want to try to score,

keep it close like an expensive whore."

MM: "And that'll be a thousand dollar fine for singing so badly."