PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Matchup for the Packers?

Kiwon
01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Offense or Defense, what's the toughest matchup that the Packers will have with the Steelers?

Bossman641
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
I'd say Mendenhall.

Roethlisberger is good but he has more of a knack for making big plays at the right time rather than consistently moving the ball. Shut down Mendenhall and make Big Ben beat the secondary.

MadtownPacker
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I dont think any of their RBs can handle the Packers D. They all seem small and do a lot of bouncing around which the Pack seems to neutralize well. Bad Ben's scrambling/dodging ability will be key because it can slow down the Pack pass rush which has been killer.

Joemailman
01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Steelers have the NFL's #1 run defense. MM has done a good job late in the year of sticking with he run, but his patience will be tested.

MadtownPacker
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Steelers have the NFL's #1 run defense. MM has done a good job late in the year of sticking with he run, but his patience will be tested.
This game isnt going to be won on the Packers running the ball it is going to be won on ARod's arm and the WRs' hands. At least that is how I am seeing it. With the said I like the Pack's chances in the nice perfect weather stadium.

gbgary
01-24-2011, 10:30 PM
This game isnt going to be won on the Packers running the ball it is going to be won on ARod's arm and the WRs' hands. At least that is how I am seeing it. With the said I like the Pack's chances in the nice perfect weather stadium.

yup. got to get the steelers back into coverage and away from the line of scrimage. we'll do that passing...then the run will open up. our strength is passing so i pray mm doesn't get stuck in the run mode too much. he worries me that way.

imscott72
01-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm going to go with the Steelers front 7 against our OL. Better hope like hell Clifton is 100%. We won't run on them much, and I expect them to come after Arod hard. We can't get him knocked around back there.

gbgary
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm going to go with the Steelers front 7 against our OL. Better hope like hell Clifton is 100%. We won't run on them much, and I expect them to come after Arod hard. We can't get him knocked around back there.

if they're giving up yards in big chunks they won't be blitzing very much. their secondary can be had.

packers11
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
I just re-watched the whole game from last year, they have the exact same front 7... If Aaron gets time, he will tear up this secondary that solely relies on pressure... These cornerbacks are not like the ones we have were they can be left on islands for a long period of time, they need to get to the QB ASAP if not they are in deep shit...

I say go 3-4-5 WR set's a lot of the game... We should have the ATL Gameplan for Pitt...

ND72
01-24-2011, 11:32 PM

My fear

Kiwon
01-25-2011, 07:04 AM
My fear

Yeah, A-Rod's got to get rid of the ball quick. The blitz pick-up will be so key.

Freak Out
01-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Trench warfare...keeping Arod upright will be the toughest fight.

Fritz
01-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Big Bad Ben Worthlessburger's ability to get out of trouble and make plays. That's the challenge. Guys are gonna have to stay in their lanes, which means fewer paths to the QB and more time. And when the Packers blitz, anyone who gets to the QB better hang on to that mofo. Come in under control, grab him, and hang on and wait for help.

bobblehead
01-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Big Bad Ben Worthlessburger's ability to get out of trouble and make plays. That's the challenge. Guys are gonna have to stay in their lanes, which means fewer paths to the QB and more time. And when the Packers blitz, anyone who gets to the QB better hang on to that mofo. Come in under control, grab him, and hang on and wait for help.

This. Ben tends too hold the ball too long, but has always gotten away with it due to the above. Stay in the lanes, collapse the pocket on him and don't give him anywhere to escape...strangely much like playing Vick.

Pugger
01-25-2011, 07:41 AM
I watched the replay of the game last season last night on the NFL Network and the difference in our defense today compared with last year's is striking. Raji is much more of a force up the middle and T. Williams is now a true cover corner. Shields is head and shoulders better than Bell and Bush back there too. I can't see the Steelers racking up passing yards like they did last time. If I were the Steelers I'd be more fearful of Rodgers and company. In that game Tomlin even opted for a onside kick try rather than trust his D to stop our passing attack. It didn't work and really too quickly did James Jones score yet another TD and gave Big Ben time to move down the field and throw the winning TD pass at the 'gun'.

swede
01-25-2011, 07:53 AM
I watched the replay of the game last season last night on the NFL Network and the difference in our defense today compared with last year's is striking. Raji is much more of a force up the middle and T. Williams is now a true cover corner. Shields is head and shoulders better than Bell and Bush back there too. I can't see the Steelers racking up passing yards like they did last time. If I were the Steelers I'd be more fearful of Rodgers and company. In that game Tomlin even opted for a onside kick try rather than trust his D to stop our passing attack. It didn't work and really too quickly did James Jones score yet another TD and gave Big Ben time to move down the field and throw the winning TD pass at the 'gun'.

Dang him to heck!

Good points. I saw the same game and I agree completely.

pbmax
01-25-2011, 07:54 AM

I am not sure you need to stay in your lanes. He isn't escaping anywhere. He will just stand and shift in the pocket like Manning. He doesn't run much and when he is rolling, he is usually throwing. The big thing is unlike Manning, if you hit Rothliesberger, he doesn't care. He just stands there. You need a hit and then a second guy. And then a burlap bag and some twine.

Packers4Glory
01-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Toughest match ups for the Pack

Offense:

Keeping pressure off Rodgers. Pitt has an awesome pass rush.
Controlling Troy Palamolecule. He is the Woodson of their defense.

Defense:

Not getting gashed w/ the run
Getting Big Ben to the ground
Covering Miller
Staying w/ the WR when the plays break down.

I really hope we see a lot of 4 WR sets and spread those guys out and hit them w/ short quick passes off the blitz. We shouldn't be able to run much against them, so we just gotta stick w/ it enough to make the play action effective.

Smeefers
01-25-2011, 08:35 AM
I think stopping the run and forcing Big Ben into throwing into our excellent secondary is the key to success. Our team can put up points in the air against the Steelers D. Can they do the same? I think it's going to be more difficult for them than it will be for us.

imscott72
01-25-2011, 10:27 AM
If their starting center is out for less than 50% for this game it will be huge. He's been a monster for their OL.

mission
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
If their starting center is out for less than 50% for this game it will be huge. He's been a monster for their OL.

I'm not sure if he's been a "monster" but he's had a real solid year. That said, I'd much rather have The Garaji go against a rookie with a high ankle sprain than I would him going against a healthy backup.

Say what you will about Pouncey, but he's not playing on the same level as The Garaji. He's going to eat him up if he's hobbled in the slightest.

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I like The Freezer more than The Garaji.

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Garaji has the virtue of being flexible - For example, if he gains weight he could be the "Three car Garaji"

AtlPackFan
01-25-2011, 11:46 AM

I agree totally.

vince
01-25-2011, 12:07 PM
It should be interesting. I believe Arod is the highest rated passer in the league against the blitz. He's pretty good beating the blitz, although he probably hasn't seen the likes of the Pittsburgh blitz. We may see more of Jackson than in past games because of his excellent blitz pick-up capabilities.

Wasn't it the Pittsburgh game last year where McCarthy said that Jackson did the best job in blitz pickup of any back he's ever coached?

Bub
01-25-2011, 12:09 PM
The O Line will have their work cut out for them this week. In ATL lots of guys came free on blitzes and just missed ARod. Pitt's rushers are a step quicker.

I think we might see less corner blitzes this week from Dom. I'm not sure how effective lil Sammy will be trying to sack the Lady's Man (Ben). Luckily our DLine is actually decent at getting to the QB now that CJenk is all better, and Pitt's OLine is a little banged up (even though they seem to be playing decent). We might need to rely on LB and DL getting Ben down.

Mendenhall (sp?) runs pretty hard. He's no Turner, but not too different than Forte. Fairly quick and has some power. Forte forced us to switch up our D and try to stop him. Luckily for us, the Bears didn't have much luck passing during the first 3 quarters. Forte caught 10 balls out of the backfield. I haven't watched Pitt much this year, but I do recall them having a fairly decent screen game.

steve823
01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Here's a couple matchups I think are key:

The Freezer vs. Steelers Center - Whether it's Pouncey playing healthy or hobbled, or even their backup (who played absolutely horrible vs. the Jets), I expect the Freezer to generate good inside pressure which will be key to bringing down Big Ben. Raji's been on a roll all year and I expect him to come up big again with everything on the line.

Steelers OLB's vs. Clifton/Bulaga - Harrison and Woodley are both great players, especially Woodley who for some reason is not talked about much. Hopefully Clifton will be healthy by game time and can neutralize Harrison or at least slow him down. Woodley vs Bulaga is a scary matchup. Even though Bulaga has played great the past two games only allowing 1 sack, 1 pressure, and 1 hit in both games combined, I still worry about how the rookie can handle one of the elite rushers in the league in Woodley.

Packers front 7 vs Steelers run game - While the Steelers may not have the best pass blocking offensive line, they are good at run blocking and extremely physical in the run game. Add that with the fact that Mendenhall looked nearly unstoppable last week, getting most of his yards after contact and almost 100 yards before halftime. Packers run D is stout in the base 3-4, but Capers likes running the 2-4-5 (his version of it anyways). If we can stop Mendenhall with only two down lineman we will be in great shape , but if Mendenhall and the Steelers start gashing us badly in the run game Capers might have to adjust. Though remember, the defense' first goal is to stop the run so they will definitely focus on shutting it down.

Arod + Wrs vs. Steelers Secondary - When the Packers offense is clicking they can be nearly unstoppable. Luckily, they won't need to be vs Pittsburgh because their cornerbacks are bad and are usually covered up by their pressure/Safety play. Clark is solid, and obviously Polamalu is one of the bests safetys in the game, but if we can exploit their corners in the passing game we'll be in good shape.

Clay Matthews and co. vs. Steelers O-line - Steelers are lackluster at best when it comes to pass protection. Without Big Ben, you can probably add more sacks to what they allow. Clay Matthews will need to generate some pressure and continue to make plays with his favorable matchup, no matter who he faces on the line. If Walden plays he will need to get pressure, or if he can't play then whoever is opposite of Clay will need to step up like the Packers have done all year.

IMO the Steelers 2 biggest weaknesses are their O-line and their CB's. If you can get to Big Ben consistently (and bring him down), and expose their secondary then the Packers could come away with the Lombardi Trophy.

Cheesehead Craig
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
If we can run how we did vs ATL, the play action becomes that much more dangerous as Polamyheadandshoulders will be coming up aggressively to stop the run, which opens up huge areas of the field.

Tony Oday
01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Toughest matchup will be do we put the new Lombardi Trophy right next to the one Favre won or will it try and eclipse ARs trophy?

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Though remember, the defense' first goal is to stop the run so they will definitely focus on shutting it down.

That's what they tell us, but Capers propensity to run the nickel on 75% of the plays makes you believe he finds it much more important to shut down opposing passing games. This game might be an exception. Like Atlanta and the Jets, the Steelers have the potential to run it down our throats all day if we don't show we can stop it early, so I think it will be the early focus in this game.

vince
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
It seems that Capers is confident that they CAN shut down the run by going base when they need to and therefore plays nickel first in a lot of games. This D has done a pretty decent job stopping the run in nickel at times (not all the time), which obviously is the best of both worlds.

Pittsburgh runs it fairly well (11th ranked), so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the Packers' single-deep base look that we saw against the Bears with Woodson at SS on early downs.

mission
01-25-2011, 03:06 PM

What about Raj Mahal? They called him that in high school. :P

Just playing around--super high on Raji right now. Only problem i have with freezer is that it compares him to william perry who i don't think is on the same level as the Raj.

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
It seems that Capers is confident that they CAN shut down the run by going base when they need to and therefore plays nickel first in a lot of games. This D has done a pretty decent job stopping the run in nickel at times (not all the time), which obviously is the best of both worlds.

Pittsburgh runs it fairly well (11th ranked), so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the Packers' single-deep base look that we saw against the Bears with Woodson at SS on early downs.

What was the Falcons' rush attack ranked? How much was Capers in his nickel look for that game?

Guiness
01-25-2011, 03:18 PM
What was the Falcons' rush attack ranked? How much was Capers in his nickel look for that game?

you read my mind

vince
01-25-2011, 03:25 PM
The Falcons' rush attack was #12 this year, just behind the Steelers. I don't have statistics but can say that the Packers did play a fair amount of base in that game, particularly on early downs in the first half. They'll go nickel regularly right away every time if they stuff the run on first down from base.

Obviously Turner is a more punishing RB than Mendenhall, but either way, the Packers do a better job of filling gaps in their 3-4 than nickel.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Steelers are a decent running team, not a real good one. Their 4.1 YPC ranked 17th. They are 11th in overall rushing because they run the ball a lot, not because they run exceptionally well. I don't think their running game will force Dom to move away from what has gotten the Packers to where they are.

vince
01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
The fact that the Steelers commit to the run would be another indication that the Packers may play more base on early downs I'd think. Mendenhall had a nice game (27 for 121) against the Jets last week.

steve823
01-25-2011, 03:39 PM
That's what they tell us, but Capers propensity to run the nickel on 75% of the plays makes you believe he finds it much more important to shut down opposing passing games. This game might be an exception. Like Atlanta and the Jets, the Steelers have the potential to run it down our throats all day if we don't show we can stop it early, so I think it will be the early focus in this game.

Agreed. I also think Capers running nickel most of the time shows you that we have 3 great CB's and he wants all his best players on the field at the same time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue the trend and use only 2 lineman with 3 cbs.

steve823
01-25-2011, 03:41 PM
The fact that the Steelers commit to the run would be another indication that the Packers may play more base on early downs I'd think. Mendenhall had a nice game (27 for 121) against the Jets last week.

Yup, great game. He had a lot of yards after contact too, butI'm not sure if that says a lot about his ability to break tackes or the Jets inability to tackle. Might be a combination of both.

vince
01-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't think their running game will force Dom to move away from what has gotten the Packers to where they are.
The Packers tendency has been to match up to what they expect the other team to do. They've had games where they've played 100% nickel and other games where they played base until they got into passing situations. 2nd and 3rd & anything over 2 are pretty much passing situation as far as the Packers' D is concerned.

RashanGary
01-25-2011, 03:47 PM

This is what I expect

30% 3-4-4 (with Woodson at SS I think Dom likes this package more)
30% 3-3-5 (this seems to be used more and more lately)
30% 2-4-5 (this seems to be used less and less lately)
10% goalline or dime.

Something like that would make sense against the Steelers. It could change depending on how the game plays out of course, but a close game I think will go something like this.

Bub
01-25-2011, 03:54 PM
On offense I'd like to see...

25% 4 or 5 WR
25% T bone (or whatever they call it)
25% 2 TE
15% Freezer Special
5% Short Yardage
5% Victory formation

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
On offense I'd like to see...

25% 4 or 5 WR
25% T bone (or whatever they call it)
25% 2 TE
15% Freezer Special
5% Short Yardage
5% Victory formation

Assuming a 60 play offense, that would mean 9 plays with Raji in the offense. Really? That's way too many. Plus, you left out Starks' best formation: 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB.

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 04:28 PM
I think Bub was joking. I'd like to see 90% 4 or 5 WR until we take a 28 point lead. Then, I'd like to see us rune the Bone or Big Bone the last quarter of the game. :)

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Okay. If that's the case, I'd like to withdraw my comment.

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I think Bub was joking. I'd like to see 90% 4 or 5 WR until we take a 28 point lead. Then, I'd like to see us rune the Bone or Big Bone the last quarter of the game. :)

T-Bone, baby!

vince
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
I think this is going to be one hell of a game.

Bossman641
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
The Packers tendency has been to match up to what they expect the other team to do. They've had games where they've played 100% nickel and other games where they played base until they got into passing situations. 2nd and 3rd & anything over 2 are pretty much passing situation as far as the Packers' D is concerned.

I've actually thought differently during the year. Numerous times the other offense has gone to their base offense or even bigger packages and Capers has continued to sit in nickel. He makes the other team prove they can run consistently against the nickel before moving to a base package or bringing in the run stuffers. The coaches and defensive players have made similar comments, saying that while they may be giving up more yards this year, when they actually play to stop the run they have been good at it. IMO, Capers enjoys the flexibility he gets from the nickel and doesn't move away from it unless needed.

vince
01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I agree Boss. That's what I meant but didn't say it very well.

Rather than matching up to personnel on a play-by-play basis like a lot of defenses tend to do, Capers has been game planning and matching up to tendencies and strengths - and sticking to it regardless of offensive personnel until/unless he needs to adjust if they're getting hurt one way or another.

Even in nickel, they've been OK against the run with Raji, Pickett, and Jenkins for the most part, particularly against passing teams like the Eagles. They've been able to keep teams from explosive plays and scoring.

Based on the tendency of the Steelers to commit to running the ball, I think the Packers will play a bit more base 3-4 on early downs - similar to what they did vs. the Falcons, Jets, and others.

MichiganPackerFan
01-26-2011, 07:59 AM
I hope the packers explode throughout the whole game so I can celebrate and have fun instead of sitting in a tightly wound stress ball. Long shot i know.

BlueBrewer
01-26-2011, 08:07 AM
http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/18b1aefa_19b7_266b.jpg

imscott72
01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Pouncey is going to be out for the game from what I'm hearing on Twitter. Huge loss for them..

steve823
01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Pouncey is going to be out for the game from what I'm hearing on Twitter. Huge loss for them..

BJ Raji must be licking his lips right now.

imscott72
01-26-2011, 05:24 PM
BJ Raji must be licking his lips right now.

If Pouncey is out, Steelers are without 4 of their 5 offensive line projected starters. Go Dom go...

Kiwon
01-26-2011, 07:23 PM
If Pouncey is out, Steelers are without 4 of their 5 offensive line projected starters. Go Dom go...

Yeah, if the Packers have a dominant defensive performance then Dom Capers' stock will be sky high.

swede
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Aren't all of the HC jobs locked up already for this year?

wist43
01-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Number one concern has to be pass protection... if they struggle with 5/7 step drops, then M3 needs to give help; that said, my base game plan would be heavily slanted toward the passing game, and running out of passing formations. If we line up and show run, and do in fact run, we're going to be punting a lot... I think we can run the ball, but we'll have to get those yds out of passing formations.

Defensively shutting down the run has to be the first priorty... I'd look to take Ward and Miller away before Wallace. If they hit one to Wallace?? I can live with that, as long as it's only 1, and Ward and Miller are contained.

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
#1 concern is containing Big Ben
the Steelers OL sucks
but this offense is very dangerous if they let him start playing street ball

2 is OL
we'll get shredded if we try to run and MM knows that
I'm expecting a lot of 4 WR sets because if our OL is even average we can tear them apart

Our big disadvantage on offense will be our run blocking versus their front seven. They are top dog in run defense

Our big advantage on offense is our WR's versus the people that will be covering us

We need to expose that

Bub
01-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Pitt's O Line must still be playing decent. The Jets have a decent Def and Pitt still ran the ball great, w/out Pouncey most of the game. Are they just max protecting or are they that deep?

denverYooper
01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Pitt's O Line must still be playing decent. The Jets have a decent Def and Pitt still ran the ball great, w/out Pouncey most of the game. Are they just max protecting or are they that deep?

Jets were just not tackling Mendenhall very well.

Kiwon
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Pouncey says that he'll play, even at 75 percent right now. It doesn't hurt the Steelers to let him give it a go. If he's not effective then they can pull him after the first series.

Fritz
02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
"Our big disadvantage on offense will be our run blocking versus their front seven."

-Bretsy

I agree, but would go further and say our offensive line is (barring a ST setback) the worst unit on the team. It's not just run blocking, it's pass blocking. I'm worried about them boys blocking those Pittsburgh guys.