PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowk Anti-Climatic

The Shadow
01-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I suspect I am in the minority here, but beating the Bears - taking the HALAS Trophy - in THEIR HOUSE, and silencing the most obnoxious group of fans in the NFL.... was 'The Big Game' for me.
I don't hate the Steelers at all; the Super Bowl game against them just fails to boill my blood.
I treasure taking the Bears down - any time, any place - so Sunday's game capped the season for me.
Of course, a Super Bowl win would be great, but I've just seen my major goal for this team accomplished.

gbgary
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
anti-climatic??? not a chance!

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Bowk, Bowk, Bowk! You sound like Jay Cutler!

Bossman641
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Beating the Bears was huge but people won't look back 20 years from now and talk about winning the NFCG. They will talk about winning the Super Bowl.

Joemailman
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
It's understandable that some might see the Super Bowl as anticlimactic after a win over the Bears for the NFC Title. Still, I suspect come Super Bowl Sunday, they mostly won't feel that way.

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
No, the Packers always beat the Bears, but being in the Super Bowl is special. They play them twice a year anyways.

VegasPackFan
01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I know what you are saying, but I think it is just a difference of emotion. Of course the goal and the hope of all fans is to win the Super Bowl. But I dont have that deep-seeded hatred that says if we lose this game I will never be able to live with myself (and those obnoxious Bears fans). I have much more respect for the Steelers and their fans than I could ever have for those other guys.

MadtownPacker
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Someone mentioned this at work today. For sure the excitement about the game is nothing like the Pack/bears game here in Cali.

mraynrand
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
I know what you are saying, but I think it is just a difference of emotion. Of course the goal and the hope of all fans is to win the Super Bowl. But I dont have that deep-seeded hatred that says if we lose this game I will never be able to live with myself (and those obnoxious Bears fans). I have much more respect for the Steelers and their fans than I could ever have for those other guys.

I loaded up my pistol on that last drive by Heiny. Geez they lose what effectively represents THE ONLY NFL CHAMPIONSHIP EVER between GB and Chicago and a third string QB pulls it off? That's it, game over. Try again next life. Superbowl XXXII was awful, but I lived through it OK.

rbaloha1
01-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Yes in some ways. Rodgers is young along with majority of roster. Losing is not horrible since this is the start of a mini dynasty run.

packers11
01-24-2011, 10:55 PM
losing in the superbowl is horrible... the superbowl hangover!!! lets just win it all then repeat :)

deake
01-25-2011, 07:34 AM
I suspect I am in the minority here, but beating the Bears - taking the HALAS Trophy - in THEIR HOUSE, and silencing the most obnoxious group of fans in the NFL.... was 'The Big Game' for me.
I don't hate the Steelers at all; the Super Bowl game against them just fails to boill my blood.
I treasure taking the Bears down - any time, any place - so Sunday's game capped the season for me.
Of course, a Super Bowl win would be great, but I've just seen my major goal for this team accomplished.

As a Packer fan since the 50's and having lived most of those years in bear land I couldn't agree more.

bobblehead
01-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Let me help motivate you guys then.

The steelers have 6 super bowl LOMBARDI Trophies. If they get to 7, its unlikely most of us get to see the packers overtake them in our lifetime. If we get to 4 and gain confidence we could regain the lead very soon. I wish to regain the "most storied franchise in the NFL" label. I wish to defeat the pittsburgh steelers and reclaim the glory that is rightfully ours.

swede
01-25-2011, 07:40 AM

I think I know what you mean, Shadow.

For me, the victory over the Bears was a vindication, a mighty leap over a usurping rival that had caught every break a season could provide. Losing to the Bears would have been heartbreaking and many of us would have had to listen to five year's worth of nonsense from the stupidest fan base in all of professional football.

The Steelers are worthy, powerful, and consistently make plays in the playoffs...amazing plays.
Winning will be sweet.

Bretsky will explain why it would be no shame to lose to them. and he will be right. He''ll just have the final outcome wrong.

Pugger
01-25-2011, 07:52 AM
I want to win this SB just to shut up those Steeler fans who dismiss most of our NFL Championships because we won them when their franchise was the laughing stock of the NFL. There are even a few of them who don't believe the 2 trophies we won before the merger are 'real' Super Bowl trophies because those games weren't called Super Bowls until after the fact! :-x

pbmax
01-25-2011, 08:37 AM
I want to win this SB just to shut up those Steeler fans who dismiss most of our NFL Championships because we won them when their franchise was the laughing stock of the NFL. There are even a few of them who don't believe the 2 trophies we won before the merger are 'real' Super Bowl trophies because those games weren't called Super Bowls until after the fact! :-x

Pugger, you tell those Steelers fans, from this former Browns fan, that only a Pittsburgher could take 40 years (1933 to 1973) to figure out how to play a game.

Oh, that tears it. Packers will beat the Steelers like a bleeping drum!

Apologies to the current Packer head coach.

Pugger
01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Pugger, you tell those Steelers fans, from this former Browns fan, that only a Pittsburgher could take 40 years (1933 to 1973) to figure out how to play a game.
Oh, that tears it. Packers will beat the Steelers like a bleeping drum!

Apologies to the current Packer head coach.

:lol: :lol:

pbmax
01-25-2011, 08:53 AM
:lol: :lol:

Throw in a reference to Pittsburgh as the remote outpost Babushka-ville (from Pete Franklin), and you will have a fight on your hands. :)

Scott Campbell
01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Beating the Bears was huge but people won't look back 20 years from now and talk about winning the NFCG. They will talk about winning the Super Bowl.

I disagree. This was the biggest game ever in the history of the oldest rivalry in the NFL. Even if we win the Superbowl, it'll be the crown jewel of the season.

Smeefers
01-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Um, I think if we would of lost the NFC Championship it would have been one of the most devastating losses in Packer history. From what I've heard from Bear Nation, it's every bit as devastating to them. The thing is, you know what *was* one of the most devastating losses I've ever experienced? When we lost to the Broncos. Any time Elway is ever mentioned, they show that stupid helicopter dive into the end zone he made and it turns my guts. Loosing the Super bowl sucked so hard. There's no way the Super bowl could ever be Anti-Climatic to me. If we win, I'll drive to Downtown Green Bay and do exactly what I did the last time we won the Super Bowl. I'll be hugging random strangers in the street, high fiving everyone I see, sing "the bears still suck" and scream "SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!" The streets will be crowded, the cars will be honking their horns, dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria. On Tuesday, I'll stand on the side of the road and cheer as the Packers parade through town in their city buses with the windows taken out.

No, no. The super bowl isn't Anti-climatic to me at all. I didn't do any of those things when we beat the bears. It was huge and if we loose the big game, beating the bears will probably get me through the winter, but it's not nearly as exciting as bringing home the Lombardi trophy.

Scott Campbell
01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Let me help motivate you guys then.

The steelers have 6 super bowl LOMBARDI Trophies. If they get to 7, its unlikely most of us get to see the packers overtake them in our lifetime. If we get to 4 and gain confidence we could regain the lead very soon. I wish to regain the "most storied franchise in the NFL" label. I wish to defeat the pittsburgh steelers and reclaim the glory that is rightfully ours.

Even with a Packer dynasty, the chances of overtaking the Steelers in 32 team league sometime in the next 50 years is slim to none.

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 09:07 AM
I disagree. This was the biggest game ever in the history of the oldest rivalry in the NFL. Even if we win the Superbowl, it'll be the crown jewel of the season.

ABSOLUTELY. I'll say it again - this was an OLD SCHOOL NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. It's never happened before and likely never again. It's rare to get two teams from the same division in the playoff, more rare to get them playing each other, even more rare to get them in a Divisional game versus each other, and - well, you see where this is going. The oldest Rivalry. THIS GAME WAS NFL HISTORY ON DISPLAY. I HAVE NEVER BEEN more keyed up for a football game in my entire worthless 44 year life.

The Bears organization understood what it meant. Those pussies were so afraid of taking it like Grossman they had the Trophy Ceremony in the basement. Classless, classless. But they knew, THEY KNEW what they lost: EVERYTHING!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't have anything against the Steelers or their fans. I know a lot of Steeler fans, and most of them are cool. They believe the Packers and Steelers are the two most storied franchises in NFL history, and it's hard to argue that the Steelers don't deserve to be mentioned with us. The Bears have been irrelevant for so long and the Cowboys haven't been around long enough.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't have anything against the Steelers or their fans. I know a lot of Steeler fans, and most of them are cool. They believe the Packers and Steelers are the two most storied franchises in NFL history, and it's hard to argue that the Steelers don't deserve to be mentioned with us. The Bears have been irrelevant for so long and the Cowboys haven't been around long enough.

Considering the Cowboys have won 1 playoff game in the last 14 years, they should be considered as irrelevant as the Bears.

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2011, 11:29 AM
True, but they did have a relatively recent dynasty that preceded our last Super Bowl appearances.

The Shadow
01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
deake :
Thanks, glad you see it that way, too.

Bretsky
01-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I see it just like Shadow although I'd undoubtedly cherish winning the SB as well

My first SB was the Bears game; I'd rather have not made the playoffs if we lose to Chicago

If we lose to Pittsburg it will suck but I can accept that and end my day saying we had a stellar year

Lurker64
01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Honestly, I think a great vindication for everybody is that two of the franchises from outside the NFC-East that the Cowboys hate the most get to have a big ol' party at Jerrah Jones's billion dollar football cathedral.

swede
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
That's odd. If you look at the original bank of HAHAHAHA's long enough a three dimensional image of KGB riding Grossman dirty appears and hovers just in front of the monitor.

ABSOLUTELY. I'll say it again - this was an OLD SCHOOL NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. It's never happened before and likely never again.

The Bears organization understood what it meant. Those pussies were so afraid of taking it like Grossman they had the Trophy Ceremony in the basement. Classless, classless. But they knew, THEY KNEW what they lost: EVERYTHING!

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
It's too bad that Jerry Tagge character from JSO isn't still hanging around. That guy, living in Chicago, knew how to live up Packer victories over the Bears. I just hope he's still alive and well and savoring every second of the victory and since the victory. I know what it's like to live in Chicago and deal with those miserable Bears fans. Jerry, if you're out there - Enjoy!

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 07:51 PM
ABSOLUTELY. I'll say it again - this was an OLD SCHOOL NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. It's never happened before and likely never again. It's rare to get two teams from the same division in the playoff, more rare to get them playing each other, even more rare to get them in a Divisional game versus each other, and - well, you see where this is going. The oldest Rivalry. THIS GAME WAS NFL HISTORY ON DISPLAY. I HAVE NEVER BEEN more keyed up for a football game in my entire worthless 44 year life.

This is art!

Fritz
01-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Some of you may not be pumped up now, but you'll be throwing your dentures at the television if James Jones drops another sure touchdown pass.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Are you being serious??? You call yourself a packer fan? How can you be "ok" with losing the superbowl? So if you don't hate the team you're playing against you don't care if they lose? Winning the nfcc game means nothing......their is one winner at the end of the year. This team has won nothing yet. Win the superbowl and the season is a success. God willing we will do that!

Bretsky
01-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Are you being serious??? You call yourself a packer fan? How can you be "ok" with losing the superbowl? So if you don't hate the team you're playing against you don't care if they lose? Winning the nfcc game means nothing......their is one winner at the end of the year. This team has won nothing yet. Win the superbowl and the season is a success. God willing we will do that!

Nobody should question anybody's loyalty as a Packer fan; everybody has their own views and it's an element of where we grew up. I don't blame anybody for this view and Shadow is just as much of a Packer fan than anybody else in here

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Decaf.

Lurker64
01-25-2011, 09:27 PM

Winning the NFC Championship is pretty cool. I wouldn't count this season a failure if we come up short against the Steelers. I'm not sure what "not being okay" with it would entail, honestly. Should I commit ritual suicide in case we don't win? Boycott until somebody is fired?

easy cheesy
01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
http://www.sportsfanlive.com/roller/pittsburghsteelersblog/resource/BenRoethlisbergerVsPackers.jpg

I hope we get a lot of this stuff goin' down... HELLZ YEAH!!!

easy cheesy
01-25-2011, 10:08 PM

You know... right after the game concluded, I would concur with you. But... we've got one more baby... just one more... and my "steel determination", as it were, is growing stronger with each passing day.... my satisfaction at this unbelievable outcome (of the NFC Championship) is giving way to my "greed" to have it all. Modify that... we deserve it. We deserve it all. Man is meeting moment...I feel it is destined. I agree with Woodson. If the "Pres" ain't comin' to us... we'll be there... with bells on....

Bring it....

easy cheesy
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh... and let me add one thing to the post above... the Steelers, more importantly listening to the Mayor, the news feeds etc. etc.... have taken me from a slow simmer to a a slow boil... I'm sure this will intensify as the days roll on.... Farenheit 451...

Bossman641
01-25-2011, 10:38 PM

Don't get me wrong. I live in IL and my life would be hell right now if the Bears had won. My perspective though is that beating the Bears will lose a little of its luster if we don't win the SB. Why not drive the dagger in a little deeper and be able to remind them that we beat them in order to win the SB?

VegasPackFan
01-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Don't get me wrong. I live in IL and my life would be hell right now if the Bears had won. My perspective though is that beating the Bears will lose a little of its luster if we don't win the SB. Why not drive the dagger in a little deeper and be able to remind them that we beat them in order to win the SB?

That's a great point. I still maintain that this is only a matter of emotion and not what all fans want to see. We all want to win the SB!!!

Lurker64
01-25-2011, 11:36 PM
I think part of the reason that winning the NFC Championship this year is suck a big deal is that it immediately establishes bragging rights that are unlikely to be overwhelmed any time soon.

Anything a Bear fan says to you for the foreseeable future can be effectively countered with "Yeah, but we won the NFC Championship in your house."

Now if we could only shut up Vikings fans so effectively.

Kiwon
01-25-2011, 11:46 PM
The significance of beating the Bears in the NFC Championship for the Halas Trophy INCREASES with a SB victory.

Year to year, people only remember the SB championship team and then the league's outstanding individual players. That's about it.

easy cheesy
01-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Didn't really care about spending the time to place this post in its "proper place"... this seems "proper" enough to me... GO PACK GO!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2xMsauweDQ

Freak Out
01-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Beating the Bears is always great..beating them in the playoffs is even better..but a SB victory trumps it all.

Follow suit or trump baby! Go Pack Go!

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 12:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLyiuTRZnjE

easy cheesy
01-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Beating the Bears is always great..beating them in the playoffs is even better..but a SB victory trumps it all.

Follow suit or trump baby! Go Pack Go!

NOW you're stokin' me... got my "Western Saddle' on vs "English"..... we're gonna ride over some unsuspecting "folks" who just might be "side saddle"....hope they tuck their skirts and BRING IT!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!

Gunakor
01-26-2011, 12:29 AM
I think part of the reason that winning the NFC Championship this year is suck a big deal is that it immediately establishes bragging rights that are unlikely to be overwhelmed any time soon.

Anything a Bear fan says to you for the foreseeable future can be effectively countered with "Yeah, but we won the NFC Championship in your house."

Now if we could only shut up Vikings fans so effectively.

I tried to google an image of a Viking holding the George Halas trophy. This is the best I could find.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/96215984.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5CC83BAC1F9A53AA3 F878F477A7314F6456C510B7E467D5E8

That should shut them up for awhile.

OS PA
01-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Seems people are forgetting that what would have sucked most about losing to the Bears was the fact that the Bears would be going to the Superbowl. The Bears game was so stressful, because it would have been painful to watch them in the Superbowl knowing that we were the reason they made it there. The Superbowl is the main event, everything leading up to it was just a pre-game show. The Bears game is one of the most important games in Packers/Bears history, because it was one of two times that one team in the division was able to claim superiority over another and have it mean something. It's also an extremely important moment in Packers history, because it shows that the McCarthy/Thompson/Rodgers era isn't all for naught. One of the arguments over the past thirteen years is that our team has been good enough to make it to the playoffs, but never was good enough to get to the big game. We all worried that Ted built a perennial winner, but didn't do the things to get us over the hump. Many people have questioned whether Rodgers could lead this team to the Superbowl, and unfairly don't put him in the elite group of QB's because he never has.

If Rodgers can win this thing in his third year starting, he's going to completely deflate the talking heads, and will be roughly inserting himself into the elite quarterbacks. Anybody who still has any Favre love will have to take their head and insert if straight up their ass. Rodgers will have the same amount of rings as Favre, and he will still be the better quarterback statistically by and far.

If we lose the Superbowl, this season will be looked upon as a wasted opportunity. We'll be stuck in constant questions of what if? What if we had Finley, Burnett, Barnett, Chillar, Neal, Grant...? Our status as the best six loss team in the history of the league will fizzle out and we'll be seen on the same plain as the 18-1* Patriots, a team that blazed a trail to the Superbowl, but wasn't able to win the most important game.

Anybody that claims this game is not as important is fooling themselves. Wait until Superbowl Sunday, hell wait until the first play of the game, and tell yourself that this isn't the most important game of the season. I dare you.

Gunakor
01-26-2011, 02:25 AM
I'll take that dare.

The winner of this game owns the league for one year. But regardless of the outcome of this game, the Packers own the Bears for the remainder of our lifetimes. I still contend that eternal bragging rights over the Bears and their fans is way, WAY more than what a Super Bowl win over the Steelers gets us. Nobody here hates the Steelers. Nobody there hates the Packers. It's not nearly equal to the win over Chicago.

I'll put it like this. The odds of us getting to another Super Bowl in the next 10 years are far greater than the odds of us beating the Chicago Bears to get there. This is the beginning of a dynasty. We'll have 45 starters suiting up on Sundays next year. Guys not good enough to make our practice squad will be starters elsewhere in the league. The house that Ted built is still going up. We'll get our rings, be it this year or next year or 5 years from now. But the Bears fans will never be able to claim superiority over the Packers. Ever. Even if we lose to the Steelers this year, the Packers have won the Chicago Bear rivalry. The rivalry is over. Done with. Packers 1, Chicago 0. The end. Think about that the next time you're in a heated trash-talking battle with a Bears fan knowing he ain't got a leg to stand on. Even to a casual fan that's huge. So regardless of the outcome in Dallas, this is far from a wasted season IMO.

OS PA
01-26-2011, 03:04 AM
I'll take that dare.

The winner of this game owns the league for one year. But regardless of the outcome of this game, the Packers own the Bears for the remainder of our lifetimes. I still contend that eternal bragging rights over the Bears and their fans is way, WAY more than what a Super Bowl win over the Steelers gets us. Nobody here hates the Steelers. Nobody there hates the Packers. It's not nearly equal to the win over Chicago.

I'll put it like this. The odds of us getting to another Super Bowl in the next 10 years are far greater than the odds of us beating the Chicago Bears to get there. This is the beginning of a dynasty. We'll have 45 starters suiting up on Sundays next year. Guys not good enough to make our practice squad will be starters elsewhere in the league. The house that Ted built is still going up. We'll get our rings, be it this year or next year or 5 years from now. But the Bears fans will never be able to claim superiority over the Packers. Ever. Even if we lose to the Steelers this year, the Packers have won the Chicago Bear rivalry. The rivalry is over. Done with. Packers 1, Chicago 0. The end. Think about that the next time you're in a heated trash-talking battle with a Bears fan knowing he ain't got a leg to stand on. Even to a casual fan that's huge. So regardless of the outcome in Dallas, this is far from a wasted season IMO.

If the Bears beat us next year watch them stand up again. Superbowl champions are remembered forever, Conference Champions that lose in the Superbowl aren't. I'm not trying to argue that last weekend wasn't huge. I was scared shitless about losing, but now that we've won, I've moved on. We have a chance to win a Superbowl, something that our team hasn't done in 14 years, something that our team has only done 3 times. Hell we only have 3 quarterbacks to have ever played in a Superbowl. How many quarterbacks have played against the Bears? How many times has it come down to the Bears vs. the Packers for a ticket to the playoffs? We had to beat the Bears twice this year to even punch our ticket to the big show. Last weekend was hell, and I would have been on a lengthy haitus from anything to do with football had we lost, but if we lose next week, I'm going to be heartbroken. Two quotes come to mind. "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." from Lombardi and "If you ain't first, you're last." from Ricky Bobby ;).

Gunakor
01-26-2011, 04:22 AM
If the Bears beat us next year watch them stand up again. Superbowl champions are remembered forever, Conference Champions that lose in the Superbowl aren't.

Bears fans and Packers fans will remember this game forever, regardless of what happens in the Super Bowl. It's THE rivalry in sport, and we've officially won that rivalry. Even if the Bears beat us next year they ain't got shit to say to us, period. Not unless it's in a Championship game. The Bears aren't allowed to stand up again until they can win their own damn trophy. And even if they do, if they don't beat Green Bay to win it then it's still not enough.

Beating the Bears in the NFC Championship game at Soldier Field quite literally gives us Packer fans bragging rights over Bears fans FOREVER. I'll never forget that. You might have decided to move on from that, but I haven't. I won't ever let the Bears live this one down. Ever. Because beating the guy you hate with every bone in your body is much more satisfying than beating the guy you barely even know.

From a players perspective I'm sure you're 100% correct. And I'd hope their mindset is the same as yours. But the lasting result of beating the Bears at their place to win their trophy is far greater to this Packer fan.

Even if the Steelers beat us this year I won't feel sorry for our season. We'll be back in this situation many more times over the next decade. We'll have our opportunities to win plenty of Super Bowls. This is the beginning of a dynasty after all. But no matter how many Super Bowls we win, no matter how many Super Bowls we lose, we have earned a constitutionally protected right (essentially) to slam Bears fans on a daily basis for all eternity. For no other reason than that we're Packers fans and they're Bears fans.

Here's what it boils down to for me. I've seen Green Bay win a Super Bowl before. I'll most certainly see Green Bay win Super Bowls again in the future. But this will never happen again in my lifetime. Enjoy this as you would any other once in a lifetime opportunity. Savor the benefits. If you know any Bears fans, go ahead and make them cry. Do it again tomorrow. Again on Friday. Again on New Years Eve, then again on Valentine's day 2012. Then again on your 80th birthday. That's what this victory means. So sweet. So much more than winning the Super Bowl would get us.

The Shadow
01-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Some of you may not be pumped up now, but you'll be throwing your dentures at the television if James Jones drops another sure touchdown pass.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

swede
01-26-2011, 07:14 AM
#1If we lose the Superbowl, this season will be looked upon as a wasted opportunity. We'll be stuck in constant questions of what if? What if we had Finley, Burnett, Barnett, Chillar, Neal, Grant...? Our status as the best six loss team in the history of the league will fizzle out and we'll be seen on the same plain as the 18-1* Patriots, a team that blazed a trail to the Superbowl, but wasn't able to win the most important game.

#2Anybody that claims this game is not as important is fooling themselves.

As to #1, that is a very compelling appeal to my emotions. I love the picture of the 3rd World kid wearing a huge "19-0" Patriots Super Bowl T-shirt while a clown laughs at the shirt. I don't want us to have our own poor kid wearing a similar shirt.

As to #2, a lot of posters are misrepresenting what Shadow said. No one said the Super Bowl wasn't important. No one said this team could relax and coast. What people have said is that, comparatively, losing to the Bears would have been a truly disastrous blow to the psyche of Packer nation. Losing to the Steelers would merely suck, and when I say suck I mean in the same way that losing to Denver sucked--I have never had the courage to watch that game again.

On January 23rd this team stared down into the abyss and crossed safely to the other side. Shadow was pointing out how the abyss was a really scary place we are fortunate not to have had to be.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Bears fans and Packers fans will remember this game forever, regardless of what happens in the Super Bowl. It's THE rivalry in sport, and we've officially won that rivalry. Even if the Bears beat us next year they ain't got shit to say to us, period. Not unless it's in a Championship game. The Bears aren't allowed to stand up again until they can win their own damn trophy. And even if they do, if they don't beat Green Bay to win it then it's still not enough.

Beating the Bears in the NFC Championship game at Soldier Field quite literally gives us Packer fans bragging rights over Bears fans FOREVER. I'll never forget that. You might have decided to move on from that, but I haven't. I won't ever let the Bears live this one down. Ever. Because beating the guy you hate with every bone in your body is much more satisfying than beating the guy you barely even know.

From a players perspective I'm sure you're 100% correct. And I'd hope their mindset is the same as yours. But the lasting result of beating the Bears at their place to win their trophy is far greater to this Packer fan.

Even if the Steelers beat us this year I won't feel sorry for our season. We'll be back in this situation many more times over the next decade. We'll have our opportunities to win plenty of Super Bowls. This is the beginning of a dynasty after all. But no matter how many Super Bowls we win, no matter how many Super Bowls we lose, we have earned a constitutionally protected right (essentially) to slam Bears fans on a daily basis for all eternity. For no other reason than that we're Packers fans and they're Bears fans.

Here's what it boils down to for me. I've seen Green Bay win a Super Bowl before. I'll most certainly see Green Bay win Super Bowls again in the future. But this will never happen again in my lifetime. Enjoy this as you would any other once in a lifetime opportunity. Savor the benefits. If you know any Bears fans, go ahead and make them cry. Do it again tomorrow. Again on Friday. Again on New Years Eve, then again on Valentine's day 2012. Then again on your 80th birthday. That's what this victory means. So sweet. So much more than winning the Super Bowl would get us.

This is great stuff

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 07:21 AM
As to #2, a lot of posters are misrepresenting what Shadow said. No one said the Super Bowl wasn't important. No one said this team could relax and coast. What people have said is that, comparatively, losing to the Bears would have been a truly disastrous blow to the psyche of Packer nation. Losing to the Steelers would merely suck, and when I say suck I mean in the same way that losing to Denver sucked--I have never had the courage to watch that game again.

Right on the money. BTW, I've dissected that Superbowl loss. There are plays in that game that will make you cry. It's weird to look at that game and then see Romo and his "Super Soup" buddies all hopped up on their amphetamines talk out of their minds afterwards. You can tell they're totally drugged up.

Smeefers
01-26-2011, 07:23 AM
This is the best topic to argue over, EVER.

swede
01-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Right on the money. BTW, I've dissected that Superbowl loss. There are plays in that game that will make you cry. It's weird to look at that game and then see Romo and his "Super Soup" buddies all hopped up on their amphetamines talk out of their minds afterwards. You can tell they're totally drugged up.

"Romo" confused me for a second until I remember that you meant Bill Romanowski. Yeah, he was like a Yanamamo warrior high on that green bark they blow up each others' noses.

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/troufs/anth1602/images/Yanomamo_magical-death_200.jpg

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 07:34 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/media/nfl/2003/0827/photo/romanowski_sc.jpghttp://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2005/10/13/image942489g.jpg
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/81801390.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548F4E51B97E8F3E423 DB420DDC0B0BEB2961F86EBA1AB442BD
http://por-img.cimcontent.net/api/assets/bin-200905/096c8d310c75fbf30440eb1291241012.jpg

Scott Campbell
01-26-2011, 07:39 AM

:bclap::bclap:

Scott Campbell
01-26-2011, 07:46 AM
From a mod at a Bear forum:

Right now, Bears fans are in anger mode. Losing the NFCCG is bad enough, but losing to the Packers in Soldier Field is something that none of us can describe.

This is the Chicago Bears Official Message Board. We welcome all opinions, even bad ones, despite what some here think. We are not removing bad opinions, we are trying to keep up with duplicate threads and are removing those, not cause we don't like what you have to say, but because reposting the same thing over and over is ridiculous.

As bad as this loss was, let's try to keep things civil here ok. Tensions are high right now, and the mods are Bears Fans too and we have the same opinions and feelings as others here, but we need to have some civility around here.

We are doing our best to keep up with stuff around here, but keep in mind, the mods have lives as well and we are not here 24/7.

Thanks.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 08:02 AM
http://triangulations.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mushroom-cloud.jpg

BZnDallas
01-26-2011, 08:15 AM
http://triangulations.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mushroom-cloud.jpg

how sweet it is, how sweet it is, OH HOW SWEET IT IS!!!! THIS IS SUCH A GREAT FEELING!!!!

denverYooper
01-26-2011, 10:02 AM

I'm tempted to frame this and put it on my wall.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm tempted to frame this and put it on my wall.

Put it right next to your pre-superbowl team picture without Finley and Barnett - and Ray Finkle

bobblehead
01-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Even with a Packer dynasty, the chances of overtaking the Steelers in 32 team league sometime in the next 50 years is slim to none.

It will be difficult, but if we win, we will be at 4 with a talented young team, and they will be at 6. We have seen some "mini dynasties" win 3 lately and that would tie us with them. Not saying its likely, but its very possible.

bobblehead
01-26-2011, 10:40 AM

And steelers fans will continue to tell you that THEY are the best franchise in the NFL because THEY have won the big game 7 times. Now, I imagine I live around more steelers fans than anyone not living in that area, but I always look at the big picture. It doesn't matter how often I point out all of our NFL championships, its superbowls that most people think about. I want that back. I want to at least tie the 6 by the steelers so I can then use the Championships as the tie breaker.

I agree with everything ou say Gun, but honestly I have historically hated the vikings just as much as the Bears. OS is right, if we lose a game to the bears next year, most of them will crow like a rooster. They will have selective amnesia and say "what have they done THIS year." We need this superbowl win. We need our pedastal back. Damn the Patriots dynasty, damn the steelers 6 bowl rings. We are packer fans, and winning the NFCC isn't enough, even if it was to put the bears back in their rightful place (loserville).

bobblehead
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
"Romo" confused me for a second until I remember that you meant Bill Romanowski. Yeah, he was like a Yanamamo warrior high on that green bark they blow up each others' noses.

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/troufs/anth1602/images/Yanomamo_magical-death_200.jpg

Swede wins best post in a year. This is the most random yet awesome reference I have seen in a long time.

Cheesehead Craig
01-26-2011, 11:45 AM
For those who assume the Pack will win another SB in your lifetime and that just making it there was great, tell that to the Buffalo Bills fans.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
It will be difficult, but if we win, we will be at 4 with a talented young team, and they will be at 6. We have seen some "mini dynasties" win 3 lately and that would tie us with them. Not saying its likely, but its very possible.

I used to believe this too
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/men/dan-marino/pictures/dan-marino-picture-3.jpg

Freak Out
01-26-2011, 12:05 PM
It's nice that we have eternal bragging rights on the Bears...unless of course they end up playing another NFCC game....but winning the SB is the Pinnacle. I've been a Packer fan since the late 60s and have seen many a Bear/Packer fight but the SB still means so much more for me...the fan.

Losing to the Bears would have sucked and we would have heard about it from the Knuckledraggers FOREVER! But losing in the SB would hurt more....I think. :)

Lurker64
01-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Year to year, people only remember the SB championship team and then the league's outstanding individual players. That's about it.

I have to say though, that making yourself an answer to a trivia question (Who was the first NFC team to reach the superbowl as a six seed?) gives you a certain degree of immortality. What the Packers did to reach the superbowl (beating the #3, #1, and #2 seeds) is not a feat often matched. We're playing the only team to ever do it before.

3irty1
01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
I agree with the idea of this thread. Nobody remembers the 2004 Red Sox for beating the Cardinals in the World Series. They are remembered for their epic series against the Yankees. This will be the same way after we conquer the Steelers and add to our already-NFL-leading 12 championships.

Guiness
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say 'anti-climatic' but I don't think my emotions will run as high during the Super Bowl as they did during the Conference Championship.

Yes, 'people' will only remember the Super Bowl winner, and number of Super Bowls is the only thing sportswriters mention, and winning a Super Bowl can make the difference between a near HOF career, and being in the HOF. But I don't care about 'people' and sportswriters. Someone here said there was a single bullet in their gun in case things went bad, and although not to that point, you wouldn't have wanted to be around me for a good while if the Pack had lost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about SB XLV, but nothing will compare to the emotion of knocking off the #2 seed, 11-5 Bears at home in January.

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 01:13 PM
I have to say though, that making yourself an answer to a trivia question (Who was the first NFC team to reach the superbowl as a six seed?) gives you a certain degree of immortality. What the Packers did to reach the superbowl (beating the #3, #1, and #2 seeds) is not a feat often matched. We're playing the only team to ever do it before.

Did Pittsburgh beat the #1, #2, and #3 seeds? Or was there an upset along the way?

Smeefers
01-26-2011, 01:43 PM
They had to of beaten at least the #3 and #1 with how the bracket system is set up. I don't know about the #2 though.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes, they beat #3 Cincinnati (11-5), then beat #1 Indianapolis (14-2), and then beat #2 Denver (13-3). New England was the other division winner that year, and they had the worst record amongst division winners at 10-6.

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks. I was both curious and lazy.

swede
01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Check out the love on Chicago sports talk. I am so glad the team took care of business and did not let this darkness be our shame.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114513709.html

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Seems people are forgetting that what would have sucked most about losing to the Bears was the fact that the Bears would be going to the Superbowl. The Bears game was so stressful, because it would have been painful to watch them in the Superbowl knowing that we were the reason they made it there. The Superbowl is the main event, everything leading up to it was just a pre-game show. The Bears game is one of the most important games in Packers/Bears history, because it was one of two times that one team in the division was able to claim superiority over another and have it mean something. It's also an extremely important moment in Packers history, because it shows that the McCarthy/Thompson/Rodgers era isn't all for naught. One of the arguments over the past thirteen years is that our team has been good enough to make it to the playoffs, but never was good enough to get to the big game. We all worried that Ted built a perennial winner, but didn't do the things to get us over the hump. Many people have questioned whether Rodgers could lead this team to the Superbowl, and unfairly don't put him in the elite group of QB's because he never has.

If Rodgers can win this thing in his third year starting, he's going to completely deflate the talking heads, and will be roughly inserting himself into the elite quarterbacks. Anybody who still has any Favre love will have to take their head and insert if straight up their ass. Rodgers will have the same amount of rings as Favre, and he will still be the better quarterback statistically by and far.

If we lose the Superbowl, this season will be looked upon as a wasted opportunity. We'll be stuck in constant questions of what if? What if we had Finley, Burnett, Barnett, Chillar, Neal, Grant...? Our status as the best six loss team in the history of the league will fizzle out and we'll be seen on the same plain as the 18-1* Patriots, a team that blazed a trail to the Superbowl, but wasn't able to win the most important game.

Anybody that claims this game is not as important is fooling themselves. Wait until Superbowl Sunday, hell wait until the first play of the game, and tell yourself that this isn't the most important game of the season. I dare you.

Great post!

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 04:03 PM
From a mod at a Bear forum:

Right now, Bears fans are in anger mode. Losing the NFCCG is bad enough, but losing to the Packers in Soldier Field is something that none of us can describe.

This is the Chicago Bears Official Message Board. We welcome all opinions, even bad ones, despite what some here think. We are not removing bad opinions, we are trying to keep up with duplicate threads and are removing those, not cause we don't like what you have to say, but because reposting the same thing over and over is ridiculous.

As bad as this loss was, let's try to keep things civil here ok. Tensions are high right now, and the mods are Bears Fans too and we have the same opinions and feelings as others here, but we need to have some civility around here.

We are doing our best to keep up with stuff around here, but keep in mind, the mods have lives as well and we are not here 24/7.

Thanks.

seeing stuff like this is priceless !!!

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
For those who assume the Pack will win another SB in your lifetime and that just making it there was great, tell that to the Buffalo Bills fans.

I'd say the odds of us winning a Super Bowl in the future are better than the odds of us knocking out da Bears in another NFC title game

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM
I don't understand all this BS about winning the superbowl was not a big as beating the Bears? Who the hell cares about the Bears..........they suck! And the only reason they even got to the championship game is b/c they played at home against the wrost team to ever make it to the playoffs and got a couple cheap wins during the regular season. This team has accomplished nothing so far. They win against the Steelers in the superbowl and the season goes from one of the unluckiest to one I will always remember and love.

They have done NOTHING yet. Superbowsl are all that matters.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Bresky,

lol you are making no sense. Didn't you call them the back door Bears? And you were right B. Odds are you are not going to see any of these Bears players in another NFC title game again. They are not built for long term success. Culter is soft, Briggs and Urlucher are on the wrong side of 30. They are not that great of a team so I don't understand all the excitement about beating the Bears. You said it yourself they got lucky to even be there.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Lurker64,

Commit ritual suicide? Don't talk to me like I'm 3........I'm not the one who started this dumbass thread saying they are fine losing the superbowl. Would you commit suicide if you lost your job? no.....but are you okay with it? I doubt it. Both cases you can't do much if it happened but you sure as hell aren't "okay" with it. You would be upset, disappointed, maybe even a little down until you don't care anymore. All b/c you are fine with second best don't get mad at me.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Nobody should question anybody's loyalty as a Packer fan; everybody has their own views and it's an element of where we grew up. I don't blame anybody for this view and Shadow is just as much of a Packer fan than anybody else in here

I'm just shock......b4 the NFCC game people are starting threads about the offseason and the draft and before the superbowl people are starting threads about being fine losing it b4 the game is even played. People think I'm being over the top but then why waste all your time posting and writing shit about the packers so that when they finally make to to the superbowl it seems no one cares........Doesn't make any sense to me.

The Shadow
01-26-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't understand all this BS about winning the superbowl was not a big as beating the Bears? Who the hell cares about the Bears..........they suck! And the only reason they even got to the championship game is b/c they played at home against the wrost team to ever make it to the playoffs and got a couple cheap wins during the regular season. This team has accomplished nothing so far. They win against the Steelers in the superbowl and the season goes from one of the unluckiest to one I will always remember and love.

They have done NOTHING yet. Superbowsl are all that matters.

I care - deeply - about beating the Bears.
I would wager that the younger posters are the most vociferous supporters of the "winning the Super Bowl is everything" attitude.
For at least a few of us old bastards, the pure joy of hoisting the HALAS trophy right in the Bear's OWN HOUSE - after a week of 'biggest game in all of Chicago sport's history' talk - will remain a lasting, lingering beautiful lifetime memory.
Of course, winning the Super Bowl would be wonderful - but nothing - for me - will compare with the sweet, sweet image of the obnoxious Bears fans I live amongst weeping like utterly dejected Swedish schoolgirls.

The Shadow
01-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Lurker64,

Commit ritual suicide? Don't talk to me like I'm 3........I'm not the one who started this dumbass thread saying they are fine losing the superbowl. Would you commit suicide if you lost your job? no.....but are you okay with it? I doubt it. Both cases you can't do much if it happened but you sure as hell aren't "okay" with it. You would be upset, disappointed, maybe even a little down until you don't care anymore. All b/c you are fine with second best don't get mad at me.

PS : I am the one who started this dumbass thread. And I do not believe I claimed that losing the Super Bowl is 'fine'.
And why would anyone ever get mad at you - just for an inability to accurately follow a thread?

mmmdk
01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
2011 NFC North Prediction
Packers
Lions
Bears
Vikings

Winning the super bowl is WAY more important than beating the backdoor Bears...even though it was sweet.

bobblehead
01-26-2011, 04:50 PM
I used to believe this too
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/men/dan-marino/pictures/dan-marino-picture-3.jpg

Not sure I get your point in reference to my post. I was pretty clear when I said its not likely, but we have seen it, and its very possible. Not like with Marino where everyone was positive he would have many more shots.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Not sure I get your point in reference to my post. I was pretty clear when I said its not likely, but we have seen it, and its very possible. Not like with Marino where everyone was positive he would have many more shots.

not likely, very possible, whatever. So now you are saying you aren't positive the Packers will have many more shots? But Marino and the Dolphins were different? Was it likely or just very possible in 1985? :cnf:

My point is that Marino was and Rodgers/Packers could easily be in the same boat - things look good, and I think they ARE good, but even so, all sorts of things can keep you from winning a Superbowl.

Multiple Superbowls: possible, but not very likely. For Marino then and Packers now

deake
01-26-2011, 06:49 PM
I care - deeply - about beating the Bears.
I would wager that the younger posters are the most vociferous supporters of the "winning the Super Bowl is everything" attitude.
For at least a few of us old bastards, the pure joy of hoisting the HALAS trophy right in the Bear's OWN HOUSE - after a week of 'biggest game in all of Chicago sport's history' talk - will remain a lasting, lingering beautiful lifetime memory.
Of course, winning the Super Bowl would be wonderful - but nothing - for me - will compare with the sweet, sweet image of the obnoxious Bears fans I live amongst weeping like utterly dejected Swedish schoolgirls.

I agree, if we took a poll I am sure the long time Packer fans, especially those that put up with Bear fans since before there were super bowls would rate this victory tops. It's somewhat like the media heads completely forgetting that there were championships before the "Super Bowl". Football has been around a lot longer than the first Super Bowl.

The Shadow
01-26-2011, 10:17 PM
There is just nothing as good as beating the Bears.

Noodle
01-26-2011, 10:51 PM
The fact is, for most of us old-timers, losing to the Bears would have hurt a helluva lot more, for a helluva lot longer, than losing to the Steelers in the SB

At the same time, I do appreciate that just getting to an SB is ridiculously difficult. Since 2001, no NFC champ has repeated: Rams, Bucs, Panthers, Iggles, Seachicks, Bears, Giants, Cards, and Saints were all one-hit wonders. So there's a high probability that the Pack won't get to another SB for a long, long time.

So no, not anti-climatic, not at all.

Gunakor
01-27-2011, 12:47 AM

Ok, I won't assume you're 3. How old are you? Old enough to respect the rivalry? It's the BEARS man. If you respect the history of our franchise you'd understand the rivalry. We just put that rivalry to bed. 90 years of history put to rest in a 3 hour contest. We win. Chryst man, even if we lose this year we'll win more Super Bowls in the future. Beating the Bears at Soldier Field to win the George Halas Trophy will never happen again in our lifetimes. Don't you get it? It's the BEARS. "Who the hell cares about the Bears..........they suck!" It doesn't matter if they suck. It doesn't matter if we suck. It's the Bears and the Packers. It's the Yankees and Red Sox only way, WAY more intense. If you don't hate the Bears then you don't love the Packers. Turn in your fan card, you don't meet the requirements.

Gunakor
01-27-2011, 12:55 AM
There is just nothing as good as beating the Bears.

On the biggest stage possible no less. Agreed 100%. Should we beat the Steelers and bring home the Lombardi, nobody's gonna razzle Steelers fans about it once the next season begins. Since we beat the Bears, we can make it our mission to make at least one Bears fan cry every day for the rest of our lives. We SHOULD make that our mission. That's the difference. That's why the game we've already won is so much bigger than the one we haven't played yet.

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 07:59 AM
When we won the Championship game, the first words out of my mouth were "I can't believe we're going to the super bowl." I won't deny the significance of the NFC Championship, but it's only a stepping stone to the super bowl. There's no way that Championship game overshadows the Super bowl. Just no way.

The Shadow
01-27-2011, 08:49 PM
When we won the Championship game, the first words out of my mouth were "I can't believe we're going to the super bowl." I won't deny the significance of the NFC Championship, but it's only a stepping stone to the super bowl. There's no way that Championship game overshadows the Super bowl. Just no way.

Way.

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Way.

Touché

MadtownPacker
01-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok, I won't assume you're 3. How old are you? Old enough to respect the rivalry? It's the BEARS man. If you respect the history of our franchise you'd understand the rivalry. We just put that rivalry to bed. 90 years of history put to rest in a 3 hour contest. We win. Chryst man, even if we lose this year we'll win more Super Bowls in the future. Beating the Bears at Soldier Field to win the George Halas Trophy will never happen again in our lifetimes. Don't you get it? It's the BEARS. "Who the hell cares about the Bears..........they suck!" It doesn't matter if they suck. It doesn't matter if we suck. It's the Bears and the Packers. It's the Yankees and Red Sox only way, WAY more intense. If you don't hate the Bears then you don't love the Packers. Turn in your fan card, you don't meet the requirements.
So I think youre saying the win makes sure the bears still suck! :lol:

Lurker64
01-27-2011, 09:07 PM

I think that's currently under review.

denverYooper
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
I think that's currently under review.

http://www.bearsstillsuck.com/chif.gif

Joemailman
01-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Reminds me of a song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5aW0tj3mE

http://media4.teenormous.com/items/www.theshirtalert.com/images-shirts-full-Jesus-Hates-The-Bears-Go-Packers.jpg

Bretsky
01-27-2011, 10:37 PM
I work at a bank with a ton of Bears fans and am enjoying dogging them with 3-5 emails mocking Jay Cuter's toughness and the Bears.
If we lose that game I'd be in hell for a long time getting those emails

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I sort of know where you guys are coming from. It just so happens that the Vikings are the Packers biggest rival for me. I could totally see thinking a victory over the Vikings in the NFC Championship would be better than winning the Super Bowl. I guess I'd look at it like this: winning the Super Bowl is bigger than beating the Bears (or Vikings in my case) in the NFC Championship. However, losing to the Bears (or Vikings) in the NFC Championship would be a harder loss than losing in the Super Bowl--especially if the Bears (or Vikings) went on to win the Super Bowl.

Joemailman
01-27-2011, 10:58 PM
I think to appreciate how much that game meant to Illinois Packer fans (like Shadow) you have to have lived there and been surrounded by Bear fans every day. For them, losing to the Bears would have been unbearable (no pun intended). Losing to the Steelers would be very disappointing, but not as bad.

Freak Out
01-27-2011, 11:01 PM
I think to appreciate how much that game meant to Illinois Packer fans (like Shadow) you have to have lived there and been surrounded by Bear fans every day. For them, losing to the Bears would have been unbearable (no pun intended). Losing to the Steelers would be very disappointing, but not as bad.

True Joe....I know two Bear fans well but other than that I would just feel bad after getting real drunk.

mraynrand
01-28-2011, 07:57 AM

It's not just living there - which can be intolerable - but it's the history of the rivalry. Packers and Bears are two connected, at times symbiotically related teams. Never before have they played in the NFL championship, which is basically what the NFCC is. Absolutely huge. A game against the Vikings in the NFCC game would have also been huge, especially if the Packers lost and sent the Vikings to a Superbowl where they actually won (I know, it's highly unlikely).

I'm pretty sure there have been only 4 other NFCC games that have featured teams from the same division (mostly Dallas-Washington) but those were back in the infanacy of the Cowboy organization. It's just not the same thing as the two most venerated teams facing off for the first time in such a big game. Epic!

Gunakor
01-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Kinda. Well, not really. The Bears suck forever regardless of this past game. This victory simply ensures that we are allowed, by right, to remind them of the fact that they suck forever in the harshest, cruelest way imaginable whenever we want for however long we wanna dish it out. The Bears fan I dish it out to, a guy who works here with me, he doesn't cry anymore... but you can tell it makes his skin crawl and I can't get enough of it. Bet the weekend couldn't come fast enough for him.

Ah well, there's always next week.

The Shadow
01-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Quite right, sir.

pbmax
01-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, my adopted team is playing my childhood/adolescent tormenting team in the Super Bowl.

So I am greedy and want both. But to tell the truth, beating the Steelers means more to me than the Bears in this scenario. Normally a division game versus an AFC foe would be a no-brainer. But denying the darlings of the Super Bowl era another triumph will give me great pleasure. Since despite Steelers fans' memories, the NFL didn't start counting Wins and Losses in 1972.

Stupid Art Rooney Jr. I loved the 1980s Steelers era. Taking the division of them was sweet, sweet revenge. But they never sank to the bottom like the Bills have. Just like Jason Vorhees, you knew those bastards were coming back.

Trust me. They are up to no good.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I personally don't get all this denying other teams crap. Its not about denying the Steelers from other championship, or the Bears from getting to the supebowl, or beating the Vikings. Its not about other teams, its about the PACKERS for me. I want to PACKERS to be successful and to win as many SUPERBOWLS as possible b/c thats all that matters in the end. All the posts I keep reading are thoughts that are so complacent and negative. Do you not realize that we need to win the SUPERBOWL for that win against the bears to mean anything? Why do you think the Bears want us to lose so bad b/c they know our season was no more successful than theirs at the end of the day unless we win. I keep hearing about other teams fans and bragging rights and all this crap, but I am a fan of the PACKERS. And as a fan of the PACKERS, the goal is to win the superbowl not these so called moral victories everyone keeps talking about.

The packers must win the SUPERBOWL for that Bears game to mean anything or there will always be that YEAH BUT........

God willing the packers will beat the Steelers and this season of bad luck and close loses will somehow turn into a story of success. Thats the only way this season is successful for me. And we can do it! Lets go!!!

pbmax
01-28-2011, 07:41 PM
I personally don't get all this denying other teams crap. Its not about denying the Steelers from other championship, or the Bears from getting to the supebowl, or beating the Vikings. Its not about other teams, its about the PACKERS for me. I want to PACKERS to be successful and to win as many SUPERBOWLS as possible b/c thats all that matters in the end. All the posts I keep reading are thoughts that are so complacent and negative. Do you not realize that we need to win the SUPERBOWL for that win against the bears to mean anything? Why do you think the Bears want us to lose so bad b/c they know our season was no more successful than theirs at the end of the day unless we win. I keep hearing about other teams fans and bragging rights and all this crap, but I am a fan of the PACKERS. And as a fan of the PACKERS, the goal is to win the superbowl not these so called moral victories everyone keeps talking about.

The packers must win the SUPERBOWL for that Bears game to mean anything or there will always be that YEAH BUT........

God willing the packers will beat the Steelers and this season of bad luck and close loses will somehow turn into a story of success. Thats the only way this season is successful for me. And we can do it! Lets go!!!

Its a matter of a longer term perspective PFMD.

But I completely agree, its all just a footnote in history if the Packers don't win. And team photos aside, I hope the Packers are living that fact.

bobblehead
01-28-2011, 10:21 PM

Not sure your age, but I have seen the Packers win a Superbowl. I want to see another one. BUT...for the ultimate bragging rights I want to see the greatest organization in sports reclaim the total super bowls won title. If I throw out all other perspective, then its still a no brainer. I want to win the Superbowl because the bears game was last week. However, we all live a life based partly on memories. I want to go to my grave someday knowing that the packers have won more superbowls than any other franchise. Is it the most important thing in my life...far cry, but its the most important thing to me as a sports fan.

bobblehead
01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
not likely, very possible, whatever. So now you are saying you aren't positive the Packers will have many more shots? But Marino and the Dolphins were different? Was it likely or just very possible in 1985? :cnf:

My point is that Marino was and Rodgers/Packers could easily be in the same boat - things look good, and I think they ARE good, but even so, all sorts of things can keep you from winning a Superbowl.

Multiple Superbowls: possible, but not very likely. For Marino then and Packers now

I'm still missing your point. Are you saying that if we win this game that you will be content and not hope or expect to get back next year??

mraynrand
01-29-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm still missing your point. Are you saying that if we win this game that you will be content and not hope or expect to get back next year??

Of course not. It's just not that likely. It's more likely the Packers will win three of the next six superbowls than say Cincinnati, but it's still probably in the 1:100 - 1:1,000 range (for Cincinnati say 1:1,000,000). The point about Marino and the Dolphins is that they looked to be going back again and again too - their chances were much better than most other teams. But they didn't because it's just not very likely, even if you're one of the best organizations out there. But it is possible, just based on NE and Pittsburgh over the past decade. I'll take the 1:100 over the 1:1,000,000 any day.

BTW, those odds are completely pulled out of a hat. If you look at the NFL, it actually is a reasonably frequent occurrence for teams to have runs of several years like Packers in the 60s, Cowboys and Pittsburgh in the 70s, Raiders, Washington and San Fran in the 80s, Cowboys, Packers, Broncos in the 90s, NE and Pitt in the aughts, so why NOT the Packers - just so long as they turn those NFCC games into championships - they were just 1-3 in the 90s. It is also interesting to see what the constants are in those playoff and championship runs...

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Not sure your age, but I have seen the Packers win a Superbowl. I want to see another one. BUT...for the ultimate bragging rights I want to see the greatest organization in sports reclaim the total super bowls won title. If I throw out all other perspective, then its still a no brainer. I want to win the Superbowl because the bears game was last week. However, we all live a life based partly on memories. I want to go to my grave someday knowing that the packers have won more superbowls than any other franchise. Is it the most important thing in my life...far cry, but its the most important thing to me as a sports fan.

Nice post.

RashanGary
01-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah bobble. I've been keeping track of that too. History speaking, this is a huge SB. We have the TT era here where we could win one or two more, but we have to get the 4th before we can get the 5th and 6th. Most SBs, Most championships, Oldest team (along with Bears and Cardinals). The Packers have a lot to be proud of.

RashanGary
01-29-2011, 09:21 AM
The Packers, Bears (then Decantur Staley's) and Cardinals (then Chicago Cardinals) were all started in 1919 as private organizations. The NFL began in 1920. The Staleys and Cardinals were two of the original 6 teams. The Packers stayed private. In 1921 the Decantur Staleys changed their name to the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers joined up with the NFL. The Packers and Bears are the two longest standing teams with the same city and the same name. They both started in 1919 with the Bears joining the NFL a year earlier than the Packers. The Packers have the most championships of any team in the NFL. The Steelers have the most SB's. This is the year we chip away at that. If the Packers end up getting to 6 SB's before the Steelers get their 7th, the Packers will stand alone as the most amazing team in the history of the NFL. I already think they are, but it would crush all debate.

bobblehead
01-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Of course not. It's just not that likely. It's more likely the Packers will win three of the next six superbowls than say Cincinnati, but it's still probably in the 1:100 - 1:1,000 range (for Cincinnati say 1:1,000,000). The point about Marino and the Dolphins is that they looked to be going back again and again too - their chances were much better than most other teams. But they didn't because it's just not very likely, even if you're one of the best organizations out there. But it is possible, just based on NE and Pittsburgh over the past decade. I'll take the 1:100 over the 1:1,000,000 any day.

BTW, those odds are completely pulled out of a hat. If you look at the NFL, it actually is a reasonably frequent occurrence for teams to have runs of several years like Packers in the 60s, Cowboys and Pittsburgh in the 70s, Raiders, Washington and San Fran in the 80s, Cowboys, Packers, Broncos in the 90s, NE and Pitt in the aughts, so why NOT the Packers - just so long as they turn those NFCC games into championships - they were just 1-3 in the 90s. It is also interesting to see what the constants are in those playoff and championship runs...

Ok, we are basically saying the same thing in a different way. I agree with everything you said here. I said as much in the first post. I guess my main point was that in order to have a chance to do something even more special we have to win this one. It didn't end with the bears and as much as losing that one would hurt, winning this one will be more important. (some other rat said it that way, and I liked it). It may be the last chance I ever get to see my team in the big game, but I certainly hope not, and as you said, many teams have made runs, and more teams have appeared then disappeared. I realize that my hopes are more than a little high, but what I really wish to see is multiple SB wins...but it starts with one.

bobblehead
01-29-2011, 09:52 AM
The Packers, Bears (then Decantur Staley's) and Cardinals (then Chicago Cardinals) were all started in 1919 as private organizations. The NFL began in 1920. The Staleys and Cardinals were two of the original 6 teams. The Packers stayed private. In 1921 the Decantur Staleys changed their name to the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers joined up with the NFL. The Packers and Bears are the two longest standing teams with the same city and the same name. They both started in 1919 with the Bears joining the NFL a year earlier than the Packers. The Packers have the most championships of any team in the NFL. The Steelers have the most SB's. This is the year we chip away at that. If the Packers end up getting to 6 SB's before the Steelers get their 7th, the Packers will stand alone as the most amazing team in the history of the NFL. I already think they are, but it would crush all debate.

CLAPPY HANDS!! Someone who really gets my point.

Tarlam!
01-29-2011, 10:01 AM
CLAPPY HANDS!! Someone who really gets my point.

Come on, Bobble, we got it, but I at least don't think there's any dispute. Packers have the most championships. The End.

vince
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Totally agree with this great post. I just want to clear up one thing based on the research that Denis Gullickson and Carl Hanson did for their great book, "Before They Were the Packers."

First off, there is a lot of legend surrounding the game of football back in the incubation days of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and the Packers legend fits right in with that. Much of what is accepted today has been passed down through word of mouth. The legend of Curly Lambeau and George Calhoun "starting" the Packers in 1919 is just such a story. Even the Packers perpetuate this myth in their version of Packer lore. The reality, as Gullickson and Hanson determined through extensive research of newspaper archives is a bit different than the lore that Calhoun and Lambeau perpetuated years afterward. Calhoun was a great storyteller that didn't let the truth get in the way of a good tale, and Lambeau wasn't wont to set the record straight, since he obviously benefitted from being known as the "founder."

The Green Bay team was first called the Packers in 1919, and Lambeau was voted captain of the team for the first time that year, and Lambeau did procure $500 for uni's, balls, etc. from the Indian Packing Company for whom he worked for the first time that year, but the team had been in existence for many years before that. From the 1918 town team, all but one played on the "Packers" in 1919 and/or 1920, so there was strong continunity from the 1918 town team and the 1919 team that Lambeau played on and was elected captain of after his year at Notre Dame. In fact, it was against high school and college rules but common practice, but Lambeau can be found on Green Bay town team pictures taken in 1917.

So long story short, the 1919 Packers were a seamless continuation of the town team that came years before it, dating all the way back to 1895 when football was first introduced in Green Bay.

The Cardinals were started as the Morgan Athletic Club Cardinals in Chicago in 1897.

The Bears were started as the Decatur Staleys by the Staley Starch Company in 1919.

There is no question that these are the three oldest football franchises still in existence. There is a lot of legend, much of it false or misleading, surrounding them all.

MadtownPacker
01-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Man it is gonna be sad when all you old fucks die and we dont get to hear these great stories.

vince
01-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Man it is gonna be sad when all you old fucks die and we dont get to hear these great stories.
What do you think I'm 90 Mad? It's called reading and research. Try it sometime. It takes a little more effort than a 10-second "Fuck off pandejo" sound byte though amigo.:wink:

Smidgeon
01-29-2011, 03:54 PM

Agreed. Who else is going to set us straight? :D

pbmax
01-29-2011, 04:30 PM

You are truly a beautiful mind. :)

bobblehead
01-30-2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/114876244.html

Bob McGinn makes a compelling case for the packers making this a habit.

The Shadow
01-30-2011, 07:39 PM
The Packers certainly seem to now have the talent to compete annually for the Super Bowl in the next few years.

Freak Out
01-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Wow...I give more money each year to the Co-Rec softball team I play on. :)

esoxx
01-30-2011, 09:45 PM
The Super Bowk is only a pre-cursor to the Mayan Calendar. Beware!