PDA

View Full Version : What does it say about the Tackle situation...

CaptainKickass
01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Am I wrong or did TJ Lang come in and play Left Tackle when Clifton was out?

What does it say about the Tackle situation, and how the coaches feel about the respective players if that is the case?

gbgary
01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
that they'd rather move one player than two in that one instance?! they must have figured clifton would come back in and moving one guy was better than moving two. but i'm just guessing.

swede
01-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Lang did a nice job of run blocking. We'll be okay there someday.

Guiness
01-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Am I wrong or did TJ Lang come in and play Left Tackle when Clifton was out?

What does it say about the Tackle situation, and how the coaches feel about the respective players if that is the case?

Not sure what you're reading into it? Did you expect Bulaga to play LT? I'm pretty sure Colledge will never see a snap there again.

I would guess that Bulaga is not getting any LT reps at practice, and TJ is, which is why they put him there.

packerbacker1234
01-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Was expected. You weren't going to move Bulaga there and put Lang in at RT when Bulaga has been working exclusively as a RT most of the season. In fact, I am not sure were going to take bulaga out of that role, and may instead draft a new LT replacement and hope Clifton has at least half of a season, if not one more full season, left in him. They moved Lang to LT (he prolly has practiced as being the backup there) and then gave him help.

It was definitely a noticable drop off in play going from Clifton to Lang though, and a bing jump up in play when Clifton came back in. It's always nice seeing how good Clifton really is when healthy.

wist43
01-25-2011, 06:27 AM
In the past they would routinely play musical chairs, and it wreaked havoc on line continuity. I made the argument back then that you're generally better off just plugging one back-up in, than disrupting the timing and teamwork of the line as a whole.

Besides, Lang did a pretty decent job.

VermontPackFan
01-25-2011, 07:06 AM
In the past they would routinely play musical chairs, and it wreaked havoc on line continuity. I made the argument back then that you're generally better off just plugging one back-up in, than disrupting the timing and teamwork of the line as a whole.

Besides, Lang did a pretty decent job.

I agree with your post except for the last point. It finally looks like MM has learned from past mistakes, instead of shifting 2-3 players around, he plugs in a backup player for the injury.
As for Lang, I know he was asked to perform a difficult task by going into the game at a moments notice. On top of that he had to play against one of the top DE's in the game, but he looked terrible against Peppers. Not many backups would be able to do better but Peppers had his way against him on passing downs. I didnt notice how he fared on running plays or whether we ran to his side while inthere, anyone know?
I know a few series in this game does not sum up a players abiltiy but I tend to agree with MM, his longterm postion will be guard, not tackle. We will still need to draft our future LT or RT this year.

Fritz
01-25-2011, 07:12 AM
I can envison the Packers drafting a right tackle this draft, as in the 2nd or 3rd round, if they see one they like.

bobblehead
01-25-2011, 07:15 AM
I agree with your post except for the last point. It finally looks like MM has learned from past mistakes, instead of shifting 2-3 players around, he plugs in a backup player for the injury.
As for Lang, I know he was asked to perform a difficult task by going into the game at a moments notice. On top of that he had to play against one of the top DE's in the game, but he looked terrible against Peppers. Not many backups would be able to do better but Peppers had his way against him on passing downs. I didnt notice how he fared on running plays or whether we ran to his side while inthere, anyone know?
I know a few series in this game does not sum up a players abiltiy but I tend to agree with MM, his longterm postion will be guard, not tackle. We will still need to draft our future LT or RT this year.

The first series Peppers roughed him up on passing plays, but after he settled down he did much better. On a few plays he got some help. He won't be confused with Clifton in pass pro, but he won't be confused with clifton in the run game either.

What I read into the situation is that MM had some confidence in TJ Lang....nothing more. I still think its likely Bulaga is the future LT unless we stumble into something lucky in the draft, or something happens that he proves he actually can't play LT in the NFL. I personally don't see either of those happening.

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
I can envison the Packers drafting a right tackle this draft, as in the 2nd or 3rd round, if they see one they like.

Then switch him over to LT? :D

vince
01-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Me too. Lang could play there too but I can see him playing RG after Colledge leaves. McDonald is a wildcard. I think he'll have a future somewhere inside, maybe as the eventual successor to Wells in a couple years.

CaptainKickass
01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
I fully expected Bulaga to shift to his "natural" LT position and Lang to come in at RT, especially against Peppers.

I know, and agree about the previous musical chairs on the O-line. But I'd have thought the coaches would have way more confidence in Bulaga vs Pepeprs than Lang vs Peppers.

Smidgeon
01-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I fully expected Bulaga to shift to his "natural" LT position and Lang to come in at RT, especially against Peppers.

I know, and agree about the previous musical chairs on the O-line. But I'd have thought the coaches would have way more confidence in Bulaga vs Pepeprs than Lang vs Peppers.

In general, they probably do have more confidence in Bulaga. But I think it simply came down to plugging in for a short while. If Clifton hadn't come back at all, I would have been curious to see what they did at halftime.

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 04:54 PM

I think they figured the Bears would line Peppers up over Lang whether he was at LT or RT.