PDA

View Full Version : Very Good TT Article

Bossman641
01-25-2011, 12:05 PM
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5426&section_id=40

A few quotes:

Harlan - "They are different type people. Ron Wolf, he will take more chances. And he did appreciate the spotlight more. Ted is really a back room guy. I remember when I was going to hire him, I went to one of the PR individuals and told him what I was going to do, and the first thing the person said to me was, ‘Boy, Ted’s not very good with the press.’ And I said, ‘I’m not hiring him to be good with the press. I’m hiring him to build a football team for us. And he will do that.’ And he has done that. The personality doesn’t matter.”

One aspect of Thompson’s personality that does matter, though, is the way he’s the same person day-in and day-out. While Packers fans everywhere were rejoicing in the team’s first Super Bowl berth since 1997, Thompson was packing his bags for Mobile, Ala., where he’ll be attending the Senior Bowl this week, just as he does every offseason.

“Ted Thompson, he's the easiest guy in the world to work with because he's so consistent. He's perfect for a first-time head coach. He was for me,” said McCarthy, whom Thompson hired in January 2006 despite being a relative unknown among head-coaching candidates at the time. “He's the same person every day. He doesn't make emotional decisions. He has a plan, sticks to his plan. Has the strength to stick to the plan even through the storms. He's the leader of our football operations. He's why this team is in the shape that it's in and why the future looks so bright.”

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv357/ridley_tt/IMG_0535.jpg

HowardRoark
01-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Nice article. This line was interesting:

Al Harris was eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list, Thompson opted to cut the two-time Pro Bowler for fear that he would become a malcontent if buried on the depth chart –

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
It's a tough business. The GM has to be shrewd.

HowardRoark
01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
It's a tough business. The GM has to be shrewd.

I agree.

I had never heard of the Harris "malcontent" angle before though. Didn't know we had a potential cornergate issue.

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree.

I had never heard of the Harris "malcontent" angle before though. Didn't know we had a potential cornergate issue.

Sounded like conjecture by Wilde. There was no quotation. Matthews did make use of a confusing double negative, though. Grammargate?

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
This is golden from Firetedthompsonnow.com. Shockingly, they haven't posted anything since the playoffs started:

November 29th, 2010
The Packers’ loss to the Falcons on Sunday should bring homer fans down to reality that this team has really not made any significant progress in 2010.

In heart-breaking fashion, the Packers have managed to continue to find ways to lose games when they come to the wire.

Once again, it is the usual suspects who are responsible for the loss: poor decisions by the coaching staff, the continued ineptness of the special teams, and utter lack of a run game.

That defeat could almost entirely be chalked up to fat head coach McCarthy, as his mind-boggling decisions to not challenge Rodgers’ slide for the 1st down early in the game as well as a crucial Gonzalez drop that was ruled a catch, leading to a first down on a scoring drive for the Falcons. Also in his list of poor game management was the back-to-back QB sneaks on the goal line. The second attempt was no where near crossing the line and resulted in a lousy giveaway by Rodgers as he was easily stripped of the ball.

Another factor leading to the loss was the Packer’s defense completely incapable to get any pressure on the quarterback. Perhaps spoiled by playing the league’s worst teams, Sunday’s performance shows that it will be difficult for Capers’ team to breakdown composed and talented offensive lines.

But McCarthy is not alone in fault. Thompson’s disinterest in fixing our lack of depth at running back was placed in the spotlight again on Sunday night, as our leading rusher was a scrambling Aaron Rodgers. Broadcasters and pundits are talking up the Packers’ inability to generate any useful yards from the running back position. It is obvious that the Packers’ playoffs will come to an end when our passing game does not produce. The team relies to heavily on just a few guys. When those players have an off game, chances are slim that Jackson and Nance can pick up the slack. (McCarthy’s head-scratching decision to stop utilizing John Kuhn over the past few weeks notwithstanding).

Also on Thompson’s “Not Important” list is the special teams, which almost certainly lost the game for the Packers with a fate-clinching personal foul penalty on the kick return with under a minute to go, leading to the Falcon’s easy drive down field and game winning kick. Poor punts, laughable returns, and bad coverage have ruined the team before under Thompson, and appear to be here to stay under his tenure.

So while the homers will be the first to mention that the Falcons are the best team in the NFC, they will apparently not understand their own hypocrisy in criticizing the fact that most of their wins have come over some of the worst teams in the NFL. If a win is a win, a loss is a loss.

Of course, homers will say the team is still building when we get bounced out of the playoffs early against a team like the Falcons, Eagles, Bears, Saints, or Giants.
Thompson keeps hovering just above the level of performance to be fired. Fans continue to think that the team is on the cusp of being an elite team. Expectations are dashed. Wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

Packgator
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM
""Thompson opted to cut the two-time Pro Bowler for fear that he would become a malcontent if buried on the depth chart""

How could Jason Wilde possibly know this? No way TT told him that. Al was released because TT didn't think he was worthy of a roster spot based on performance. Basically...... Al couldn't make the team.

swede
01-25-2011, 01:12 PM
""Thompson opted to cut the two-time Pro Bowler for fear that he would become a malcontent if buried on the depth chart""

How could Jason Wilde possibly know this? No way TT told him that. Al was released because TT didn't think he was worthy of a roster spot based on performance. Basically...... Al couldn't make the team.

Good point. That is almost an unethical use of a guess, or someone else's guess, masquerading as a fact.

HowardRoark
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Good point. That is almost an unethical use of a guess, or someone else's guess, masquerading as a fact.

Dupnik!

get louder at lambeau
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Of course, homers will say the team is still building when we get bounced out of the playoffs early against a team like the Falcons, Eagles, Bears, Saints, or Giants.
Thompson keeps hovering just above the level of performance to be fired. Fans continue to think that the team is on the cusp of being an elite team. Expectations are dashed. Wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

I know Journey is not exactly the manliest band out there, but I gotta believe even they would be pissed to see this fag quoting their lyrics.

pbmax
01-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Wilde is tied pretty close to Al Harris and his agent. I doubt that he made that statement without something from their side.

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Dupnik!

Good use of Dupnik

Lurker64
01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
It's probably equally to valid to assume that Ted cut Al because Al would be unhappy buried on the depth chart, and he would prefer to seek out an opportunity that would allow him to play somewhere.

I mean, it's not like Thompson has never done this sort of thing for a player, cut him earlier than another team might have so that the player has the opportunity to seek a job elsewhere.

MichiganPackerFan
01-26-2011, 07:57 AM
It's probably equally to valid to assume that Ted cut Al because Al would be unhappy buried on the depth chart, and he would prefer to seek out an opportunity that would allow him to play somewhere.

I mean, it's not like Thompson has never done this sort of thing for a player, cut him earlier than another team might have so that the player has the opportunity to seek a job elsewhere.

This theory still makes the most sense.

hoosier
01-26-2011, 08:11 AM
But we should also not ignore the fact that Al got cut twice this year. Maybe TT had just seen that Al couldn't do it anymore.

Scott Campbell
01-26-2011, 08:20 AM
But we should also not ignore the fact that Al got cut twice this year. Maybe TT had just seen that Al couldn't do it anymore.

And Al is a proud guy who busted his ass for months and months to get back on the field. Difficult times.

Little Whiskey
01-26-2011, 08:38 AM
its possible that TT went to Al and asked him if he would rather ride the pine or look for a chance to play elsewhere. Al may have chose the later and based on the full page ad he took out in the paper i would say that Al holds no grudges with the Packers.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 10:13 AM
its possible that TT went to Al and asked him if he would rather ride the pine or look for a chance to play elsewhere. Al may have chose the later and based on the full page ad he took out in the paper i would say that Al holds no grudges with the Packers.

Classy! My question is whether Al is on the early season Team Picture. Remember, Ray Finkle was on the Pre-Superbowl picture, being added halfway through the season, but wasn't on the picture taken at the end of training camp.

swede
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Finklegate

Deputy Nutz
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Al Harris couldn't play at thel level needed and he was cut. It was a shame because he was a damn good corner for being 35 years old. The knee injury really crippled his twilight. Thompson wasn't going to keep a player on the roster because he was a fan favorite, he is going to do what he thinks is best for the franchise and if he has to be the bad guy, he is fine with it. He just won't talk to the media for 4 years.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Al Harris couldn't play at thel level needed and he was cut. It was a shame because he was a damn good corner for being 35 years old. The knee injury really crippled his twilight. Thompson wasn't going to keep a player on the roster because he was a fan favorite, he is going to do what he thinks is best for the franchise and if he has to be the bad guy, he is fine with it. He just won't talk to the media for 4 years.

So you're saying nothing will change.

Deputy Nutz
01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Yes, he is afraid of public speakiing

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Finklegate

Finkle is Einhorn

Fritz
01-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, he is afraid of public speakiing

Like in The King's Speech.

I am a huge Ted Thompson fan, but he has the craziest creepiest eyes I've ever seen. If you've ever seen a terrified horse's eyes, you know it's the same exact look.

I wonder if he has a hard time looking people in the eye? I haven't watched much of him on film. I wonder about this because of that wild-eyed look of his. And then it caused me to start wondering if he's on the milder end of the autism scale, which might explain also his rainman-like abilities to scout players.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Fritz, that post started as an insult to Ted, but in the end you pulled it around to be a glowing appreciation for his skill. :) Nicely done.

mmmdk
01-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Like in The King's Speech.

I am a huge Ted Thompson fan, but he has the craziest creepiest eyes I've ever seen. If you've ever seen a terrified horse's eyes, you know it's the same exact look.

I wonder if he has a hard time looking people in the eye? I haven't watched much of him on film. I wonder about this because of that wild-eyed look of his. And then it caused me to start wondering if he's on the milder end of the autism scale, which might explain also his rainman-like abilities to scout players.

You & me both [are huge TT fans]; but I don't think TT is afraid of public speaking yet it is something he seems to dislike. I think TT easily feels superior to the interviewer and I don't blame him; these days there are few, very few eloquent sports journalists - and maybe even fewer smart ones. TT is a guy that'll give you his time but he doesn't want to waste his time on insignificant conversation because it actually makes him uncomfortable.

NB - Autism? I've worked with autistic people and the answer is 'NO!'.

Lurker64
01-26-2011, 02:12 PM
I think Ted's aversion to public speaking is mostly due to the fact that (from all accounts) Mr. Thompson is a very moral and honest man while the job of NFL general manager requires frequent dissembling if not outright lying. In this way he's not a Wolf disciple at all. If asked a question by the media where giving an honest answer would put the Packers in a disadvantageous position Wolf would happily just lie (and he was a good liar). Thompson, on the other hand if asked a similar question will give an evasive or vague answer that's still technically true ("it's our policy not to comment on players that are on other teams", "we like a lot of different guys in the draft", etc.) The media wants information whether or not it hurts the Packers, and Thompson doesn't want to give out any information that might hurt his franchise. That sort of "there's something I don't want to tell you" dance probably makes him seem more awkward than he actually is.

Ted should not go into politics.

vince
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
He's an introvert. It's just how a lot of people are wired. It doesn't make them bad people at all, but it does tend to make people, particularly those who don't know them well, not like them as much because they tend to keep their thoughts to themselves and don't put a premium on interpersonal relationships.

Ted talks because he has to, not because he wants to.

cheesner
01-26-2011, 03:05 PM
You & me both [are huge TT fans]; but I don't think TT is afraid of public speaking yet it is something he seems to dislike. I think TT easily feels superior to the interviewer and I don't blame him; these days there are few, very few eloquent sports journalists - and maybe even fewer smart ones. TT is a guy that'll give you his time but he doesn't want to waste his time on insignificant conversation because it actually makes him uncomfortable.

NB - Autism? I've worked with autistic people and the answer is 'NO!'.

I don't see the 'superior attitude' at all. I have never heard a report of anyone disliking TT who knows him personally, excepting a few players who were cut. When one player in particular was traded and made some criticisms towards TT questioning his character, many came to TT's defense to set the matter straight. TT has no ego, and instead constantly tries to deflect any compliments to his scouts, coaches, or players.

wist43
01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Harris lost a step, and it was a step he couldn't afford to lose... that writing was on the wall, and I wasn't surprised when he got cut.

Good guy, good team mate, good player... but we all get old, and slow down a bit - it's the nature of the beast. Can't fault Ted for that, he made the correct call.

mmmdk
01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't see the 'superior attitude' at all. I have never heard a report of anyone disliking TT who knows him personally, excepting a few players who were cut. When one player in particular was traded and made some criticisms towards TT questioning his character, many came to TT's defense to set the matter straight. TT has no ego, and instead constantly tries to deflect any compliments to his scouts, coaches, or players.

I wasn't stating my post as a TT fact; my "superior" notion probably had more to do with my own vision of the sports press. As you say: TT has no ego and is really a good guy; best GM we could want as fans. I can easily say that 'cos I've backed him since day one.