PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so....

AtlPackFan
01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Heard on WSSP that the Packers are not including the 15 players on IR in the Super Bowl picture. IMHO, this is low. Tausch, Finley, Barnett, etc. Should be included and the active players should boycott the pictures in protest. OK, that's not going to happen but I think it is still bush league on the part of the Packers org. I wonder who was the one that came up with that brilliant idea.

Freak Out
01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
I thought they always tried to do it? Could be wrong though.....

I saw Nick on the sidelines against the Bears as well as Tausch. It's not like they disappeared.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
This was discussed earlier in another thread

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114584679.html

UPDATE: This was a team decision. Packers director of public relations Jeff Blumb said the Packers will be taking the Super Bowl team picture on Tuesday. The injured reserve players will arrive in Dallas on Thursday, and while they aren't involved in team meetings, practices, etc., they will be on the sidelines for the game. Blumb said it was important that many, if not all, of the injured players stay on their rehabilitation schedules as well, which is part of the reason why they're coming to Dallas later.

Having 16 Packers players on IR is the main issue; team trainers will be working with the 53 roster players and practice squad members in Dallas, without the same resources they would have in Green Bay.

"It was a team decision, a decision driven by the fact that we can't manage the sheer number of players on IR and also get our team ready to win this game," said Blumb. The intention is not to leave anyone feeling slighted. "Every decision we make is about what is best to try to win a championship."

Barnett on twitter: "I was not trying to be a distraction, nor was I downing the organization, they have done so much for me over last 8 years. Just saying I am sad that it worked out the way it did.. This game is bigger then my feelings and my body of work.. It's about "One Goal"!

AtlPackFan
01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Apparently Finley and Barnett were tweeting their displeasure w/the decision.

AtlPackFan
01-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry for the repost of the issue...didn't see it. Still think they should have figured something out. What is a couple of days of rehab when you have the whole offseason?

sheepshead
01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Bet it gets reversed. Theres been enough press on it.

Packers4Glory
01-25-2011, 06:12 PM
horrible. Finley isn't happy thats for sure, and I see him a big big player for us for several seasons. I'd rather not have him have an "F U" attitude from here on out. These guys put their body's on the line and most have contributed to the success this yr. They should all be included.

Fucking terrible by the organization.

swede
01-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Ouch! I don't disagree with the organization's logic, but this has the potential to be a big distraction. The team should make a big fuss over the injured, arranging for the 16 IR'd guys to be treated like a million bucks. Fly them down, include them in team meals, get them pretty massage therapists, and generally keep them busy.

I was surprised they are not going to be allowed in the team meetings, but the more you think about it the more sense it makes. The extra bodies mean more talking, more bullshit, and a greater possibility of loose lips sinking ships. It's harsh, but it is probably necessary.

Patler
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM
horrible. Finley isn't happy thats for sure, and I see him a big big player for us for several seasons. I'd rather not have him have an "F U" attitude from here on out. These guys put their body's on the line and most have contributed to the success this yr. They should all be included.

Fucking terrible by the organization.

If this would be all that it would take to corrupt his long term attitude, I would send him packing as soon as I could make a good deal.
I suspect this will all blow over soon enough. If the Packers win, they will all get their rings, and the picture will be quickly forgotten. If they lose, who cares who is on the picture?

Players really have to learn to be smarter about their use of Twitter and things like that. They send comments off without thinking. If they are upset, address it with the team. In the past, MM had a "Council of Elders" so to speak, veteran players that others could go to with problems they didn't want to talk to MM about directly for whatever reason.

This makes Barnett and Finley look like wimps, crying to the fans because their egos were bruised. Pro sports are tough businesses for people with thick skins. Bitching about the picture is silly.

gbgary
01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
this needs to be reversed.

Packers4Glory
01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
its really not silly. they ARE part of the team. They DID contribute. there is no reason to piss anyone off needlessly when they are part of the team regardless of their situation on the active roster. regardless of if they are being so called wimps, they could easily develop the perception that the team really doesn't care about them or its players all that much. whether you poo poo that idea or not, its inevitable and really not a far fetched conclusion to draw from such a decision.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
It might be worth remembering there are 15 guys on IR, but only 2 tweeting their displeasure. Not shocking to me that the 2 are Barnett and Finley. Not exactly the 2 sharpest knives in the drawer. Patler is right. There is a right way to voice your displeasure, and a wrong way. They chose the wrong way. Barnett has at least tried to make amends with this tweet:

"I was not trying to be a distraction, nor was I downing the organization, they have done so much for me over last 8 years. Just saying I am sad that it worked out the way it did.. This game is bigger then my feelings and my body of work.. It's about "One Goal"!

As for Finley, he's an amazing talent, but every time he speaks, I worry we have our own T.O.

gex
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
No loyality whatsoever...Thanks for playing and injuring yourself for us but your really not a part of THIS team..
Bad decision from the top.

swede
01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
...Players really have to learn to be smarter about their use of Twitter and things like that. They send comments off without thinking. If they are upset, address it with the team. In the past, MM had a "Council of Elders" so to speak, veteran players that others could go to with problems they didn't want to talk to MM about directly for whatever reason.

This makes Barnett and Finley look like wimps, crying to the fans because their egos were bruised. Pro sports are tough businesses for people with thick skins. Bitching about the picture is silly.

Yes...but it takes a pretty thick skin to not have one's feelings hurt by being excluded from so many team activities on such a special occasion.

Your point is well taken about the wisdom of shutting up about it, though.

Patler
01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
its really not silly. they ARE part of the team. They DID contribute. there is no reason to piss anyone off needlessly when they are part of the team regardless of their situation on the active roster. regardless of if they are being so called wimps, they could easily develop the perception that the team really doesn't care about them or its players all that much. whether you poo poo that idea or not, its inevitable and really not a far fetched conclusion to draw from such a decision.

Their feelings are hurt. Fine. Address their concerns to the team. Crying over Twitter to the fans makes them wimps, plain and simple.
Its a stupid photo, not the team ring. They were told why they wouldn't be there. They were given their assignments (or orders). They were told they WOULD be part of the other things after they arrived in Dallas, and that they WOULD be on the field for the game.

Time to grow up little Nicky and little Jerry.

gex
01-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I should know by now after the whole Favre fiasco, that players are just meat...throw them away once they are old and injured.

Patler
01-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes...but it takes a pretty thick skin to not have one's feelings hurt by being excluded from so many team activities on such a special occasion.

Your point is well taken about the wisdom of shutting up about it, though.

Actually, it sounds like they are part of most things except the picture. The team meetings I assume to be the ones for game preparation. No reason for them to be there. They usually aren't in those during the season after they go on IR. Their job is rehab, and they are usually doing that while their team mates are in meetings and not using the equipment.

Joemailman
I should know by now after the whole Favre fiasco, that players are just meat...throw them away once they are old and injured.

Ah yes. You've just been waiting for a reason to blast the organization that got rid of Favre. Hope you feel better now.

Patler

Welcome to the real world. When push comes to shove, that's all any employee is to most employers.

billy_oliver880
01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Just have the pictures thursday. Problem solved.

vince
01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Organizations make decisions to benefit the organization. Many decisions inevitably are to the detriment of certain individuals, but they aren't made with that in mind. It's unavoidable. There's a plan in place to deal with distractions early in the week for the benefit of the team, and a plan in place for the rehabbing guys to get their work in and be a part of the Super Bowl as well, and a plan in place for preparing and getting focused on some upcoming football game.

I for one interested stakeholder am glad the proper priorities are in place.

swede
01-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Organizations make decisions to benefit the organization. Many decisions inevitably are to the detriment of certain individuals, but they aren't made with that in mind. It's unavoidable. There's a plan in place to deal with distractions early in the week for the benefit of the team, and a plan in place for the rehabbing guys to get their work in and be a part of the Super Bowl as well, and a plan in place for preparing and getting focused on some upcoming football game.

I for one interested stakeholder am glad the proper priorities are in place.

You professional football team owners are all alike. :)

mraynrand
01-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Smithers, we need to save a few dollars on image processing fees. Make sure the injured reserve players are kept out of the team photo. Dammit man, I don't care if it foments discord, get those slug-a-beds out of the photo!

http://kara.allthingsd.com/files/2007/10/other29.gif
And stop touching me Smithers, it's creepy.

RashanGary
01-25-2011, 07:33 PM
This is a bad move. I understand their line of thinking, but now that they see what it's doing to these guys, they better change their decision. I was feeling bad for the injured players because they wouldn't feel like it was their victory or their ring, but shit, to not even include them in the photo. That's ridiculous. Part of what's best for the organization is building trust and relationships with the people who help accomplish their goals. This isn't cool.

Fritz
01-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Doesn't anybody in the Green Bay organization know how to use photoshop, for Chrissakes?

vince
01-25-2011, 07:57 PM
You professional football team owners are all alike. :)
Get on board and shut the hell up, especially this week. :)

I'm pretty sure putting IR'd players in the SB team picture won't be at the top of Finley's checklist list when it comes time to sign his next mega-deal.

By all accounts, this organization values its players as much or more than any other organization and treats them better day in and day out.

McCarthy's not exactly the kind of guy that goes weak in the knees when he encounters a little selfishness. He's a player's coach and there are about 53 guys that demand his undivided focus for a couple weeks here.

Fritz
01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Get on board and shut the hell up, especially this week. :)

I'm pretty sure putting IR'd players in the SB team picture won't be at the top of Finley's checklist list when it comes time to sign his next mega-deal.

By all accounts, this organization values its players as much or more than any other organization and treats them better day in and day out.

McCarthy's not exactly the kind of guy that goes weak in the knees when he encounters a little selfishness. He's a player's coach and there are about 53 guys that demand his undivided focus for a couple weeks here.

Dammit, Vince, you need to start paying attention. When players sign monster deals, they always, always make sure we know that it wasn't about the money. It's about respect, man.

vince
01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Just saw this article. I think it fits here.
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bay-packers-mccarthy-keeps-eye-on-the-prize

McCarthy Keeps Eye On The Prize

For some reason, one particular statement from Mike McCarthy's Monday press conference stood out to me.

When asked if there was anyone he could call for advice about how to handle the circus that is the Super Bowl, the Green Bay Packers head coach replied, "Not really. A lot of those conversations really have already gone on.

"This is something personally that I've been preparing for. I've always had the schedule in place what I would do when we got to this point. You always need to adjust it based on the health of your team or something that changes that's out of your control."

How far back does his preparation go?

"Quite some time," said McCarthy. "I mean, I was in the position in '07 to prepare for a Super Bowl ahead of time. So for a number of years."

Perhaps I shouldn't be suprised that McCarthy's plan of attack for the Super Bowl dates back at least three years ago and maybe before that.

I imagine most, if not all, NFL head coaches have their schedules all mapped out for the Super Bowl well in advance. There is a reason they've reached the pinnacle of their chosen profession after all.

But the tunnel vision of McCarthy seems, at least to me, to be a tad sharper than most.

And by tunnel vision, I mean that in only the nicest, kindest, most reverential way. Everything seems to be geared toward winning the Super Bowl, and anything that detracts from that objective is dismissed.

To hear McCarthy speak about the goals of his football team back before Week 16 when the team's back was against the wall and they needed to win their final two regular season games to even qualify for the playoffs, it was all very motivational. The confidence was evident in his voice.

"You really have no control of the path," said McCarthy. "That's part of the deal. I mean, every season's different. You just try to keep it on the road. So our particular path this year, in hindsight, has made us a stronger football team. It's shaped us in a different way. We've had opportunity, really, to play five playoff games going into this Super Bowl. So I think that really helps us. We feel like we're a razor-sharp team as far as the level of play that we've been bringing to the table here the last month.

"We knew we were a good football team when we came out of training camp. We knew we'd have an opportunity to be part of this. And things sometimes go your way, sometimes they don't. But I think it speaks volumes about the men in the locker room, the character, everybody keeping an eye on their target. And really coming down to the New York Giants game, that's the one thing that we just kept reiterating to our players: All of our goals are still in front of us. We didn't need any help. And I think that really helped our guys stay focused, stay on point, and the Giant victory there at home was big and then we were able to run the next four in a row. Just part of shaping of a football team."

As the Packers embark on this long, trying and probably dizzying trip over the course of these next two weeks, I'm confident the organization has found the proper captain for their ship.

swede
01-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Very nice.

RashanGary
01-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Good leaders listen. Good leaders admit when they're wrong. McCarthy is approachable. I'll bet you more than one player on the current 53 man roster tells McCarthy it seems rough on their teammates to not have them their for picture. It's bad enough that they were injured on the field fighting for the cause. They deserve this moment too.

Stay focused, fine, I don't give a fuck, but don't leave those guys home. That's just stupid.

RashanGary
01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah, MM thinks he has tunnel vision, but I think he has clouded vision. He's caught up in the moment. If his head were clear he'd know this is a dumb ass, thoughtless move.

Guiness
01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I really don't know what to think about this...I do feel kind of bad for the guys who are getting excluded from the picture, I can understand how that makes them feel less part of the team.

But to come out whining like Finley is doing bodes really badly for his maturity, and those were some pretty strong words he and Barnett threw out there. Finley claiming 'disrespect' and 'what have you done for me lately' is not going to sit well at all.

RashanGary
01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
I really don't know what to think about this...I do feel kind of bad for the guys who are getting excluded from the picture, I can understand how that makes them feel less part of the team.

But to come out whining like Finley is doing bodes really badly for his maturity, and those were some pretty strong words he and Barnett threw out there. Finley claiming 'disrespect' and 'what have you done for me lately' is not going to sit well at all.

I kind of thought of that too. The right thing to do would have been to contact Rob Davis or someone like that and tell him how they felt. Then Davis could have gotten some info collected and went to MM with it. From there, MM could have changed his decision and it would have all been done professionally. To come out on Twitter like this, I think Barnett looks even worse than Finley because he's older. It's a negative check on both of them though. Just a bad way to handle that. Well, there's a good way to kick of the week before the Superbowl. We had to of figured it would have some negativity. Way to go MM, way to keep it on point.

mmmdk
01-25-2011, 08:37 PM

Say 'CHEESE', Finley! And welcome to Cincinnati...if you're not careful :lol:

Patler
01-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Good leaders listen. Good leaders admit when they're wrong. McCarthy is approachable. I'll bet you more than one player on the current 53 man roster tells McCarthy it seems rough on their teammates to not have them their for picture. It's bad enough that they were injured on the field fighting for the cause. They deserve this moment too.

Stay focused, fine, I don't give a fuck, but don't leave those guys home. That's just stupid.

It's only a photograph. Do you actually recall any of the other pregame team photos? They are being included in later pregame events and are on the sidelines for the game. I am willing to bet they will be included in everything after the game if the Packers win. They will get their ring and a share of the $. They are worked up about a photo no one will see, or will remember if they do see it.

Finley hasn't done enough to whine too much. So far, the Packers have gotten less out of him than they have from Jordy Nelson.

Barnett has earned his spot. At least he had the good sense to backtrack a bit from his earlier comments.

The one guy I do feel sorry for, who probably never will have a chance to play in a Super Bowl, is Mark Tauscher. I wonder how concerned he is about not being in the team photo?

Scott Campbell
01-25-2011, 08:43 PM

Bert's meat looks like it had been through the compactor a few times.

Scott Campbell
01-25-2011, 08:44 PM
I really think Justin Harrell deserves to be there.

Patler
01-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, MM thinks he has tunnel vision, but I think he has clouded vision. He's caught up in the moment. If his head were clear he'd know this is a dumb ass, thoughtless move.

I have read many articles in past years about what a logistic nightmare the Super Bowl is. Trying to conduct a weeks worth of practices and game preparations in an unfamiliar facility while sharing it with another team and being swamped by the media and forced into other required events. It's bad enough with the 60 guys on the roster and PS, now you have to work in rehab responsibilties for 16 more players, just because of a photo? If there were just a few, no big deal, but 16? Hell, if the photo is that important, the best answer might be to charter a plane, fly them down for the photo, then right back to GB for a couple days of rehab.

swede
01-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I have read many articles in past years about what a logistic nightmare the Super Bowl is. Trying to conduct a weeks worth of practices and game preparations in an unfamiliar facility while sharing it with another team and being swamped by the media and forced into other required events. It's bad enough with the 60 guys on the roster and PS, now you have to work in rehab responsibilties for 16 more players, just because of a photo? If there were just a few, no big deal, but 16? Hell, if the photo is that important, the best answer might be to charter a plane, fly them down for the photo, then right back to GB for a couple days of rehab.

So, if it is tough to get 16 injured players to the game, are you of the opinion then that it will always be unwise for the POTUS to consider attending the Super Bowl for the logistical snarl it would create on an already difficult to plan event?

packers11
01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
photogate is blowing up...

pft.com

Shanle shares his views on Super Bowl I.R. photo issue

Earlier today, we posted a couple of items regarding the consternation of Packers players on injured reserve who will be omitted from the official team photo.

The Packers responded, explaining that the volume of players on I.R. drove the decision to leave the players in Green Bay until Thursday, two days after the photo is taken.

Tonight, Saints linebacker Scott Shanle chimed in via Twitter. “[W]e had a lot of guys on I.R. too,” Shanle said, referring to the 2009 Saints. “[W]e included everyone because everyone had a part in getting there. [T]he way it should be.”

We agree with Shanle. Though the Packers’ goal is and should be winning the Super Bowl, we don’t see the connection between leaving them behind and bringing the Vince Lombardi Trophy home.

The players on injured reserve landed there through no fault of their own. They’re still part of the team, and they should be included in all of the Super Bowl-related activities.

Joemailman
01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
After the Aaron Rodgers story, I'm not sure PFT has a lot of sway with the Packers. Still, the Packers may reconsider if they feel the issue creates more of a distraction than accomodating the IR players would.

Guiness
01-25-2011, 09:15 PM
After the Aaron Rodgers story, I'm not sure PFT has a lot of sway with the Packers. Still, the Packers may reconsider if they feel the issue creates more of a distraction than accomodating the IR players would.

Maybe...but by changing their mind now, do they look like they're giving in to whining? I'm inclined to think the MM/TT might get their back up a bit over this.

Patler
01-25-2011, 09:15 PM
So, if it is tough to get 16 injured players to the game, are you of the opinion then that it will always be unwise for the POTUS to consider attending the Super Bowl for the logistical snarl it would create on an already difficult to plan event?

Well he has his own staff to take care of him.

But the issue isn't getting the IR players there, it's having the training facilities available and staff available to treat them while they are there. Remember, the training room facilities that the Cowboys use alone will be shared by two teams for the week. So the Packers will have limited time to use the facilities for their rostered players, then have to work in 16 more.

Again, all this worry for a photo. The players aren't being left in GB for the whole week. They aren't being excluded from the game. Although some teams in the past have not allowed IR players on the field, the Packers have told their IR players they can be on the field.

vince
01-25-2011, 09:34 PM
photogate. right.

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Finley speaks to Espn:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/23406/page/espntexas/xlv-finley-speaks-on-the-super-bowl-photo

Guiness
01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Finley speaks to Espn:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/23406/page/espntexas/xlv-finley-speaks-on-the-super-bowl-photo

That guy has got to learn to keep his yap shut.

His wife was just as bad. From her twitter:

Let's not forget IR players got hurt playing for "the team". (love the quotes there)
Totally feeling stiff armed right now!

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 10:10 PM
That guy has got to learn to keep his yap shut.

His wife was just as bad. From her twitter:

Let's not forget IR players got hurt playing for "the team". (love the quotes there)
Totally feeling stiff armed right now!

Reminds me of the Chappelle Show skit "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong"
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=24435&title=when-keeping-it-real-goes-wrong

Bossman641
01-25-2011, 10:28 PM

pft.com

Shanle shares his views on Super Bowl I.R. photo issue

Earlier today, we posted a couple of items regarding the consternation of Packers players on injured reserve who will be omitted from the official team photo.

The Packers responded, explaining that the volume of players on I.R. drove the decision to leave the players in Green Bay until Thursday, two days after the photo is taken.

Tonight, Saints linebacker Scott Shanle chimed in via Twitter. “[W]e had a lot of guys on I.R. too,” Shanle said, referring to the 2009 Saints. “[W]e included everyone because everyone had a part in getting there. [T]he way it should be.”

We agree with Shanle. Though the Packers’ goal is and should be winning the Super Bowl, we don’t see the connection between leaving them behind and bringing the Vince Lombardi Trophy home.

The players on injured reserve landed there through no fault of their own. They’re still part of the team, and they should be included in all of the Super Bowl-related activities.

Except they will be their for the game. It's a stupid picture, who the hell cares. The organization obviously doesn't feel the training facilities will work out for all the walking wounded they have. Grow up Finley and Barnett.

denverYooper
01-25-2011, 10:35 PM
The other thing is that Finley hasn't been in Green Bay rehabbing. He's been in Arizona for a few weeks now doing his rehab there. He also didn't choose to be on the sidelines during any of the postseason games that I'm aware of. I saw Tausch and Grant at a lot of games. I think Barnett has also been to some. So Finley crowing what the team has done for him lately is a bit hypocritical as he has chosen to do his own thing away from the team lately.

BlueBrewer
01-26-2011, 07:57 AM
I feel that the Packers are making a major PR mistake here. Our teams fanbase is hearted in the midwest and deeply rooted with midwest values and ideals, why would they not let the IR players appear in the team photo, I know there is a glut of them but they went through training camp and the blood and sweat that most others did. They did not ask to be hurt or put on IR. My opinion is that this is BS and they need to change their stance quickly before this spins any further out of control.

hoosier
01-26-2011, 08:19 AM
This may be a bad PR decision by the Packers but what Finley is doing is a thousand times worse. Damn him for even thinking about creating distractions and throwing tantrums right now. Maybe his ego is just feeling a little bruised because the Pack managed to make it to the SB without him.

Gunakor
01-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Great move. Alienate some of your core players on both sides of the ball. That'll motivate them to play for you next year!

Green Bay blew it big time here.

Gunakor
01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
This may be a bad PR decision by the Packers but what Finley is doing is a thousand times worse. Damn him for even thinking about creating distractions and throwing tantrums right now. Maybe his ego is just feeling a little bruised because the Pack managed to make it to the SB without him.

Except they didn't make it to the Super Bowl without him. That's the point.

Patler
01-26-2011, 08:25 AM
I will ask again, what is the significance of this photo when the IR players are coming to everything else and can be on the sideline during the game? What is the photo used for? Has anyone every seen one of the pregame photos of the other Packer SB teams? I would think post game photos after winning would be more important, and if you lose, who cares?

RashanGary
01-26-2011, 08:37 AM
photogate. right.

Way to go MM, way to keep your guys on point. Really hit that one out of the park, eh?

RashanGary
01-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I will ask again, what is the significance of this photo when the IR players are coming to everything else and can be on the sideline during the game? What is the photo used for? Has anyone every seen one of the pregame photos of the other Packer SB teams? I would think post game photos after winning would be more important, and if you lose, who cares?

Technically, it's probably not as big of a deal as it feels to the shunned players. But if it were you and you were already hurt because you coudln't play in the game, to be left out of anything would feel like a low blow. I don't think MM's a bad guy with bad intentions, but he miscalculated this one and it's SB weekend. It's going to be a huge deal. Just a bad move on every level. Bad when he made it and bad in the results. Stupid. But he's a first time SB coach. It shows. You don't hear this coming out of sixberg. That's sixberg for six superbowls. They know what they're doing.

I just hope MM fixes this before it gets even uglier.

Scott Campbell
01-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I can see Harlan making this big of a stink when they left him out of his high school glee club photo. But these guys are supposed to be football players.

Patler
01-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Way to go Finley. Way to go Barnett. Make a big deal about a silly detail, and be a distraction to your team. Make this about YOU, not the team.

RashanGary
01-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Maybe if Hawk has to go through chemo therapy to fight cancer and his hair and eyebrows are gone. Can't have him around the team being an unusual looking distraction. All for one AJ. Just the logistics and distraction of having you around is too much. Sorry. You can't play, can't show.

Just saying, this is how it feels, like a low blow to them.

Patler
01-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Technically, it's probably not as big of a deal as it feels to the shunned players. But if it were you and you were already hurt because you coudln't play in the game, to be left out of anything would feel like a low blow. I don't think MM's a bad guy with bad intentions, but he miscalculated this one and it's SB weekend. It's going to be a huge deal. Just a bad move on every level. Bad when he made it and bad in the results. Stupid. But he's a first time SB coach. It shows. You don't hear this coming out of sixberg. That's sixberg for six superbowls. They know what they're doing.

I just hope MM fixes this before it gets even uglier.

I have absolutely no sympathy for these two clowns because they took this to the public, apparently right after they were told about it. A couple crybabies who have had their egos hurt realizing that the team succeeded without them. I wonder how much they addressed this with the team first, if they even gave the team a chance to reconsider before they took it public.

I have sang Finley's praise for two seasons for showing maturity well above what he showed as a rookie. I am disappointed by this tantrum.

Clear attention grabs by two players.

Patler
01-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Maybe if Hawk has to go through chemo therapy to fight cancer and his hair and eyebrows are gone. Can't have him around the team being an unusual looking distraction. All for one AJ. Just the logistics and distraction of having you around is too much. Sorry. You can't play, can't show.

Just saying, this is how it feels, like a low blow to them.

Your analogy is way extreme for what has happened here. The IR players have been excluded from one thing, the photo, so they can stay on their rehab schedules. They have been included in everything else that should be important to them, like being at the game and on the sidelines. Some past SB teams did not allow IR players on the sideline. MM has included them in the game itself to the extent they can be. Would they prefer to be in the picture, then exiled to the stands for the game itself?

VermontPackFan
01-26-2011, 09:07 AM

My thought exactly!!!!!! If that is truly not possible, the organization should charter a small jet and fly the 16 down for the picture and back to Green Bay for therapy. How much could that cost? 100K? Well worth the bad PR and players (those active and on IR) feelings.
I do understand the thought the team does not want the distraction down in Dallas.

Patler
01-26-2011, 09:24 AM

My thought exactly!!!!!! If that is truly not possible, the organization should charter a small jet and fly the 16 down for the picture and back to Green Bay for therapy. How much could that cost? 100K? Well worth the bad PR and players (those active and on IR) feelings.
I do understand the thought the team does not want the distraction down in Dallas.

I suspect the schedule for things like this is preset by the league, and the Packers really have no control over it. Beside, Monday is normally on "off" day for the players and Tuesday is a lighter day practice-wise, sometimes even "off". Thursday is a full practice and game prep day. I doubt the players or coaches would want to waste time later in the week going somewhere for the photo, which by the time you get everyone there, organized and back will take a fair amount of time.

I do like the charter jet solution. It would give the players what they want, but meet the teams stated objective to maintain rehab schedules. It's an accommodation for both and a concession by neither.

sharpe1027
01-26-2011, 09:52 AM
It's a damn picture. Teenage girls would cry less about not being in a damn picture. Waaaah! So sad.

Finley is gunning for T.O. 2.0.

VermontPackFan
01-26-2011, 10:06 AM
It's a damn picture. Teenage girls would cry less about not being in a damn picture. Waaaah! So sad.

Finley is gunning for T.O. 2.0.

But its a picture these guys can show their grandkids 30-40 years from now. I imagine its a big deal, there are only so many people who can say the were part of a team that went to the Super Bowl.

denverYooper
01-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Nick does a pretty good job describing why it's important to him here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aioq6mU1DYKbqVsHx3q7nbFDubYF?slug=ms-twoquestions012611

“In our team meeting room, there are pictures of past championship teams that line the wall, and we stare at them every day,” Barnett explained Tuesday. “There’s a spot there that’s empty – that was for us, this year. We’d go in there and visualize being on that wall, and think about the effort it would take to get there. You’d see guys like Ray Nitschke up there, and that’s motivation. So, now that we’ve gotten to the Super Bowl, to not be on that wall … well, it’s disheartening.”

The article in general is one of the better discussions I've seen on it.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Just get them in the picture and be done with it. I can't imagine it's a logistical nightmare that can't be resolved.

Patler
01-26-2011, 10:19 AM
But is it THAT picture on the wall, or one taken after winning it? For some reason, I would expect the picture on the wall for a championship team will be one taken by the team with a team related background the Lombardi trophy in front of the team. I doubt it is one taken before the game is even played, but I could be wrong.

denverYooper
01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
But is it THAT picture on the wall, or one taken after winning it? For some reason, I would expect the picture on the wall for a championship team will be one taken by the team with a team related background the Lombardi trophy in front of the team. I doubt it is one taken before the game is even played, but I could be wrong.

I know what you mean. The article made it seem like that picture was the NFC Championship team picture but was not exactly clear.

gbgary
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Just get them in the picture and be done with it. I can't imagine it's a logistical nightmare that can't be resolved.

THIS!

Cheesehead Craig
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
How can the IR players then get their pictures signed by their friends then? Finley won't have any way of knowing that he and Barnett are BFFs forever!

denverYooper
01-26-2011, 10:26 AM

Apart from logistics, Silver (and Wilde yesterday) surmised that the Packers didn't want some of the IR guys partying and possibly being a distraction while their teammates were preparing.

sharpe1027
01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
But its a picture these guys can show their grandkids 30-40 years from now. I imagine its a big deal, there are only so many people who can say the were part of a team that went to the Super Bowl.

I can understand wanting to be in the picture. I can't understand crying about it to the media like a little girl. That is a disrespectful put-yourself-first act. Barnett has to back-pedal and provide explanation for his actions because he seems to realize his mistake. Finley, not so much.

I stand by my opinion. Right or wrong, the team made the decision with the express purpose of trying to win the Superbowl. We can debate whether we think perhaps they could have done something else. Either way, crying to the media about it is a classless and selfish act. I say they invite the other IR guys and leave Finley out.

As to the discussion of the pictures of "championship teams," if they actually end up being a championship team, they'll all be there for the photo.

Deputy Nutz
01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
It is a bad media relations issue. Guys like Barnett, Chillar, and Tausch all contributed this year and for several years as Packers. Tausch and Barnett have played their whole careers in Green Bay and have waited their whole lives to be members of a Super Bowl team. They should be recognized as such. Plus they can make a little money on this as well in the future at signings.

I think it is sad.

Scott Campbell
01-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Apart from logistics, Silver (and Wilde yesterday) surmised that the Packers didn't want some of the IR guys partying and possibly being a distraction while their teammates were preparing.

Good point. It's all fun till Eugene Robinson gets picked up for solicitation.

AtlPackFan
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Doesn't anybody in the Green Bay organization know how to use photoshop, for Chrissakes? :-)

Patler
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
It is a bad media relations issue. Guys like Barnett, Chillar, and Tausch all contributed this year and for several years as Packers. Tausch and Barnett have played their whole careers in Green Bay and have waited their whole lives to be members of a Super Bowl team. They should be recognized as such. Plus they can make a little money on this as well in the future at signings.

I think it is sad.

Is this the only picture they will have to do that with? There is a team photo taken at the start of every season. They are in that.

By the way. I found what supposedly is the Saints team photo from the Super Bow. About 100 people standing on bleachers on the field. No indication of who it is, or what it is for. Nothing special about it. No different than the Packers annual photo, which will have everyone from IR except Havner and Smith who came after the year started, played a couple weeks and ended up on IR. Not sure if Bell and Levine would be on it, they were IR'ed in training camp, I think.

Saints' photo:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/17863344/Saints-Team-Superbowl-Photo.aspx

I haven't found any other super bowl team photos on line, but didn't look very hard for them either.

AtlPackFan
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Well he has his own staff to take care of him.

But the issue isn't getting the IR players there, it's having the training facilities available and staff available to treat them while they are there. Remember, the training room facilities that the Cowboys use alone will be shared by two teams for the week. So the Packers will have limited time to use the facilities for their rostered players, then have to work in 16 more.

Again, all this worry for a photo. The players aren't being left in GB for the whole week. They aren't being excluded from the game. Although some teams in the past have not allowed IR players on the field, the Packers have told their IR players they can be on the field.

Wow....I started a firestorm....didn't mean to do that.

OK, I played 1 year of HS football long, long, long time ago but what would it hurt to NOT have the players doing rehab for a few days. None of them are going to be playing until May/June anyway. I don't understand the concern about a couple of days.

I do understand the idea that it is just a picture and maybe this photo is never available to the general public but WHEN the Packers win the SB, I would like to be able to buy a team photo with Tauscher in it. Again, maybe its not available

VermontPackFan
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
I can understand wanting to be in the picture. I can't understand crying about it to the media like a little girl. That is a disrespectful put-yourself-first act.

Totally agree. The active players and coaches do not need to be dealing with this...

Patler
OK, I played 1 year of HS football long, long, long time ago but what would it hurt to NOT have the players doing rehab for a few days. None of them are going to be playing until May/June anyway. I don't understand the concern about a couple of days.

I thought about that, but I am sure they harp and harp on the guys about the need to be diligent in rehab. It would be counterproductive to then say, "Don't worry about it. Skip this week. It's not that important." What other weeks might the player decide aren't important and skip. A lot of the players leave and rehab on their own after the season ends (even during the season). The message to them has to be consistent. Rehab is important.

I do understand the idea that it is just a picture and maybe this photo is never available to the general public but WHEN the Packers win the SB, I would like to be able to buy a team photo with Tauscher in it. Again, maybe its not available

There is always the annual photo taken at the start of the season.

Scott Campbell

How's this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oSBOAsX4XpA/TN_1n7PDvII/AAAAAAAAAEs/uVgXuRFAy88/s1600/IR.jpg

AtlPackFan
01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
I thought about that, but I am sure they harp and harp on the guys about the need to be diligent in rehab. It would be counterproductive to then say, "Don't worry about it. Skip this week. It's not that important." What other weeks might the player decide aren't important and skip. A lot of the players leave and rehab on their own after the season ends (even during the season). The message to them has to be consistent. Rehab is important.

If it was any other week, I would agree. But its Super Bowl week. I think that might trump a couple of missed days of rehab.

Still, as you said there are other photos and you can't make out who is who anyway. And as you all have said, this should have stayed internal and not tweeted to the world.

AtlPackFan
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Great photoshop work Scott. Can you do me one up and send it to me! :-)

Patler
01-26-2011, 11:54 AM
If it was any other week, I would agree. But its Super Bowl week. I think that might trump a couple of missed days of rehab.

Still, as you said there are other photos and you can't make out who is who anyway. And as you all have said, this should have stayed internal and not tweeted to the world.

I think they are already missing some, since they will be there the end of the week. Now you might be talking about missing an entire week. For some that might not be a big deal. For others it could be.

But I agree, the biggest problem here was the players going public and not keeping it internal. It distracts from what is important. Should interview time be spent in Finley and his bruised ego over the picture, or on Quarless and what his rookie year has been like? Finley and I might differ on our answers to that question, unfortunately.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Finley is so important, he's on there twice! What more can he ask for??

3irty1
01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
They'd have to take the picture from space to get all the IR players in frame.

I hope this gets reversed so that 50 years from now someone sees the picture and wonders why there are so many players and then marvels at the Packers accomplishments upon learning about all the injuries they overcame.

gbpackfan
01-26-2011, 01:08 PM
BREAKING NEWS - IR players will be in the picture as they will now be taking before they leave for Texas. Issue over. Geesh.

swede
01-26-2011, 01:28 PM
My Goodness.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ttiSAxcedV4/SEAY7qUrwGI/AAAAAAAAA64/JqJXgSZfPKI/s320/TempestTeapot.jpg

vince
01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
They're moving the team picture to Friday in Dallas for the drama queens.:wink:

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5432&section_id=40

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Okay. I've now heard (from news sources) Friday in GB before they leave and Friday in Arlington after they get there. Which one is it? Does anyone know?

vince
01-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Okay. I've now heard (from news sources) Friday in GB before they leave and Friday in Arlington after they get there. Which one is it? Does anyone know?
GBPG is saying Friday of "Super Bowl week" which is next week not this week.

Edit: Now I see JSO says this Friday though, so take your pick.

get louder at lambeau
01-26-2011, 03:43 PM
GBPG is saying Friday of "Super Bowl week" which is next week not this week.

Either way, same thing. It's over. This stupid shit is over.

Guiness
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Either way, same thing. It's over. This stupid shit is over.

I doubt we'll ever find out, but I don't think it's 'over'.

If I was the coach, there'd be some repercussions for Finley and maybe Barnett. If I was GM, and concerned about 'Packer People' I'd be remembering this at contract time.

Do you let a talent like Finley go over something like this? You'd think no, but remember where Richard Seymour is playing football now...

Cheesehead Craig
01-26-2011, 03:56 PM

If I was the coach, there'd be some repercussions for Finley and maybe Barnett. If I was GM, and concerned about 'Packer People' I'd be remembering this at contract time.

Do you let a talent like Finley go over something like this? You'd think no, but remember where Richard Seymour is playing football now...

Seymour's situation was more complicated than a Polariod moment.

get louder at lambeau
01-26-2011, 03:57 PM

I agree about that. I mean the "Packers are big meanies" part is over.

Finley is displaying more of that shitty "me me me" egotistical attitude that he has shown hints of before. Minor stuff, really, but it's still troubling. I could see him testing free agency and going to the highest bidder in a year, whining about the Packers not showing him enough love or some stupid shit.

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM

DITTO

Homerism aside, bullshit move by the Packers

Just get them in the picture and move on

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't get the bitterness towards Barnett and Finley. They should be in the picture. Oh well! I'm glad the Packers took care of this.

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't get the bitterness towards Barnett and Finley. They should be in the picture. Oh well! I'm glad the Packers took care of this.

DITTO

vince
01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Don't disagree about them being in the pic at all. Strongly disagree with the way they handled it. To go crying in public over this at this time is ridiculous.

Little Whiskey
01-26-2011, 04:08 PM
I was listening a bit to Steve "the Homer" True this afternoon and i like his explaination. the packers didn't want the added distraction of some of the IR players down in dallas before their time to be down there and the NFL schedule says that picture day is tuesday. they didn't think it would be that big of a deal so they didn't try and ask to make a schedule change. i think it got blown out of proportion.

Patler
01-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Simple, they should have kept it as an internal issue, not whined about it to the public. If I were their employer, I would look at both as loose canons and would treat them accordingly.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 04:31 PM
They should have been in the picture. Dumb move by the team. I'm glad they admitted they were wrong and corrected the mistake.

Patler
01-26-2011, 04:33 PM
They should have been in the picture.

I don't think anyone disputed that they should be in the picture, but it should have been handled internally.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Finley said they went to the team, and the team wanted no part of what they were selling.

Barnett on twitter: "I was not trying to be a distraction, nor was I downing the organization, they have done so much for me over last 8 years. Just saying I am sad that it worked out the way it did.. This game is bigger then my feelings and my body of work.. It's about "One Goal"!

"This next two weeks is about the unbelievable success of my teammates and last thing I want is to be [is a] distraction," Finley wrote.

Backup offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith(notes) began the year in Seattle and signed with Green Bay on New Year's Eve. He gets to be in the team photo while Finley doesn't?

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
TGIFinley is happy now. :)

"I'm excited to be part of team photo," Packers tight end Jermichael Finley tweeted Wednesday. "Now let's get that ring In Dallas!

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Barnett

"Not only was it important for me, but also the 15 others that were afraid to say how they felt. If you are going to be a leader you sometimes have to take steps that are not that popular. But a couple guys called me today to tell me thank you. That felt as rewarding as anything I have ever done. I'm really happy about this. Being a part of this picture means everything. It's everything we worked for."

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 05:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/23447/page/espntexas/xlv-its-called-a-team-photo-for-a-reason

I reached out to ESPN.com contributor Ross Tucker, who played seven years in the NFL and also addressed the issue in Wednesday's Football Today podcast.

The Super Bowl photograph, Tucker said, is the manifestation of the most basic element of the game. It's the team. Eliminating a segment of players from the group erodes the team-first idea.

"Everything you preach about getting to the Super Bowl," Tucker said, "everything you talk about is team, team, team. 'We're in this together.' You should 'sacrifice your individual goals and do what's best for the team.' These guys on IR, they've kind of made the ultimate sacrifice. ... These guys have kind of given themselves up for the team and they want to feel like they're a part of it. All those guys were a part of it in a major way, especially for a team that barely got in the playoffs. Those guys were all a part of it."

Indeed, speaking to Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports, Barnett said there is tremendous symbolism and importance to a Super Bowl photograph.

"In our team meeting room, there are pictures of past championship teams that line the wall, and we stare at them every day," Barnett told Silver. "There's a spot there that's empty -- that was for us, this year. We'd go in there and visualize being on that wall, and think about the effort it would take to get there. You'd see guys like Ray Nitschke up there, and that's motivation. So, now that we've gotten to the Super Bowl, to not be on that wall ... well, it's disheartening."

Patler
01-26-2011, 05:32 PM
But is it THIS picture that matters, or the annual picture taken by the team? Or one taken after they win?

What about those years when a player is waived during the season? Do they come back for the team photo at the Super Bowl? Sometimes they have played as much as Grant this year, or Finley, or Barnett. Shouldn't their mug be on the picture too?
I think Will Blackmon was on IR for a day or two while they worked out his injury settlement. Is he coming back for the photo? He deserves it as much as Bell or Levine. I wonder if Blackmon uses Twitter?

Scott Campbell
01-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Don't disagree about them being in the pic at all. Strongly disagree with the way they handled it. To go crying in public over this at this time is ridiculous.

Amen. I'm close to losing my patience with those two.

sharpe1027
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Barnett only references players thanking him after he complained, but I'm sure it was about them and not himself. Whodathunk this would be newsworthy? A super bowl picture that only includes players that might actually play in the game. The horror! Seriously, blown way out of proportion all the way around. All those writers must really be struggling for a story. Two of the most storied teams are matched up against each other must not be enough.

hoosier
01-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Barnett Not only was it important for me, but also the 15 others that were afraid to say how they felt. If you are going to be a leader you sometimes have to take steps that are not that popular. But a couple guys called me today to tell me thank you. That felt as rewarding as anything I have ever done.

I hate it when people pat themselves on the back on Twitter. Speaking of which, if that is the most rewarding thing he's ever done, maybe it's time for Nick to get involved in some public service work.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 09:31 PM
" Community involvement: This past offseason, participated in an autograph signing in Missoula, Mont., as a fundraiser for the local Ronald McDonald House * In 2007, traveled with the second annual Green Bay Packers Tailgate Tour, visiting communities throughout Wisconsin and making both scheduled and surprise visits with state residents * In 2006, was selected by a Door County elementary school student for the NFL’s Take-A-Player-To-School program, for which he picked up the student, escorted him to school and then spoke to groups of students about the importance of education, plus offered some football tips * Served as an organizer and instructor for the ‘William Henderson & Nick Barnett Football Camp’ in July 2006, a five-day youth football camp at St. Norbert College in De Pere, Wis. * Has interacted with participants at the annual Jerry Parins Cruise for Cancer, an annual motorcycle ride benefiting cancer patients and families throughout Northeastern Wisconsin * During the 2004 season, he and former teammate Javon Walker conducted the ‘Jam Tour,’ visiting 16 Wisconsin schools and giving motivational speeches to students * Donated $56 to the American Cancer Society of Wisconsin for each tackle he registered during the 2004 season * Took part in previous Green Bay Packers Fan Fest events, signing autographs and interacting with fans * Has participated multiple times in the annual ‘Brown County Breakfast on the Farm’, serving breakfast, ice cream and milk to attendees * Participated in the Edgar Bennett Celebrity Bowl-A-Thon multiple times, benefiting the March of Dimes and the Angel Fund for Children with Cancer, respectively, and in the Vince Lombardi Golf Classic to benefit the Vince Lombardi charitable fund * Also taped a public service announcement in the spring of 2008 for the UW Health System to promote the importance of organ donation"

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac221/reaper2792/high-horse.jpg

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Barnett only references players thanking him after he complained, but I'm sure it was about them and not himself. Whodathunk this would be newsworthy? A super bowl picture that only includes players that might actually play in the game. The horror! Seriously, blown way out of proportion all the way around. All those writers must really be struggling for a story. Two of the most storied teams are matched up against each other must not be enough.

I think what happened is his first instinct wasn't to think about the impact of his words but to say that he was hurt for being left out. Acceptable.
He explained why it meant so much (seeing the pictures on the wall, etc). Acceptable.
But by not thinking about the medium through which he was expressing this displeasure, he provided a distraction for the Packers. Unacceptable.
He realized by the response of fans/teammates/coaches/whomever that he was being a distraction and almost immediately explained he didn't want to be a distraction. Acceptable.
Other IR people called him and thanked him. Acceptable.
Feeling guilty for having been part of the distraction, he let the twitter public know that it wasn't just him who wanted this. Debatably necessary.

In short, he had a legitimate reason for feeling left out, used an ill-advised method to make himself heard and/or garner public sympathy, and supported his viewpoint that others wanted it too. Natural social progression. Nothing to see here, folks.

jmbarnes101
01-27-2011, 08:22 AM
They should have respectfully went to see Ted or MM and informed him/them of their displeasure. Packers people aren't selfish me first people and I wouldn't be surprised if this bit them in the butt. Nick especially since the defense has been better without him playing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded next year and this having a piece to play in that decision. As a leader he should have known better.

Cheesehead Craig
01-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Let's see: Posted their displeasure on the internet then are surprised that they are a "distraction". Dumbasses.

sharpe1027
01-27-2011, 09:11 AM
No matter who you side with, it is not a big deal.

Guiness
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Finley said they went to the team, and the team wanted no part of what they were selling.

Backup offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith(notes) began the year in Seattle and signed with Green Bay on New Year's Eve. He gets to be in the team photo while Finley doesn't?

Who the hell said that about EDS? That's low. The guy is out there playing, and you doubt his contribution? :wow:

pbmax
01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Doesn't anybody in the Green Bay organization know how to use photoshop, for Chrissakes?

I don't care how many times we ask Fritz, they still refuse to airbrush Slocum out of the pictures.

pbmax
01-27-2011, 12:04 PM

I put this answer up in the other thread as well, but just in case that one drops....

Barnett tweeted that these photos of previous championship teams are on the walls of the meeting rooms and that he has been staring at them for seven years. He claimed he even knew the space the next one would occupy. Now I don't know if these phtotos are preseason, pre-Super Bowl or post-Super Bowl, but he is aware of them in the team's environment and they appear to be important.

So I don't think this is made up of whole cloth, but I am unsure whether Barnett is worried about the correct photo.

And either way, no one should have been on Twitter about it.

denverYooper
01-27-2011, 12:19 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114728989.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

What went into your thinking and did you change your plans for the photo based on the reaction by Nick? Really the reaction was a total overreaction, and just to make it clear, I will tell you exactly what happened, as opposed to what I really think about it.

"I really think it was a crock of shit that those guys handled it the way they did"

Monday, actually Sunday night, (GM) Ted Thompson, (security director) Doug Collins and (administrative assistant) Matt Klein and (PR director) Jeff (Blumb) is very much involved in that, too, all of the planning for the Super Bowl. I chose to stay out of it because I did not want to be occupied with any of the planning as I was ... the part that I was in '07. It was an experience that I felt that I learned from. So with that, they had a lot of questions for me. It started Sunday night on the plane back. So first, the most important part was travel, for the families and the players, so we addressed that Monday and how we are going to do that.

As far as the IR situation, it's different. We have 15. It's a large number, so there are different components that went into why they traveled when they traveled. So with that; so I spent Monday and Tuesday, really getting the schedule ready for this week. And then Tuesday the captains, Aaron and Charles, came up to the office. We had a couple of things we had to discuss and they brought the issue, I guess you would call it, to my attention. I had heard about the Twitter (complaints from LB Nick Barnett and TE Jermichael Finley) and didn't really frankly pay much mind to it because of the individuals involved. So we discussed it, we discussed a number of things, curfew and they did what good captains do. We had a conversation, I said I'll look into it.

Ted was traveling to Mobile. I talked to him that night, and he said, 'Hey, they usually do the picture on Tuesday.' I said, 'I'm going to move it to Friday.' As you know how Ted is, he goes, ‘You take that picture any time you want.’ So we moved the picture to Friday. That's really the end of it.

So I haven't seen Nick. I haven't seen Jermichael, either one of them, since Chicago. I think they made a poor decision, what they did. But we feel great because if that's the biggest issue that we have in our preparation, we are going to have a hell of a week. So it's not that big of a deal.

Was part of it not wanting 15 guys who don't have work to do down there for the full week and the potential distraction that could come from that? There's a number of components and I really don't want to waste anybody else's time with it. It's unusual, because your initial plan is you take everybody. But you're off site -- there's a number of reasons why it was Thursday(for IR guys to come down) as opposed to Monday, and good reasons. Because at the end of the day, it's about getting ready for this game. It's not that they are not part of the team. They are in the photo. You want them in the photo and that's important. That part is in place. But we have to do -- we have to create the environment and the structure down there to get these players ready for this game and that's what every decision has been based on.

Guiness
01-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Yooper - I think a very relevant part of that quote is didn't really frankly pay much mind to it because of the individuals involved. You could read a lot into that, I wonder what it means?

Fritz
01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I think it means he knows Barnett and Finley are emotional, ouspoken guys.

I kinda think Mike Sherman should be in the picture, since he drafted some of those guys that are still playing key roles. And Ron Wolf, too. And maybe some of the college and high school coaches who mentored these players. And maybe players from the past no longer on the team who helped tutor some of the players on the team now. And the wives and girlfriends who help these guys all the time.

denverYooper
01-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Agree. They're also the guys who came out with YOTTO and XLVORDIE, were very vocal about the Packers dominating this year, and who have created mini-dramas with their Tweets in the past.

mraynrand
01-27-2011, 01:59 PM

I kinda think Mike Sherman should be in the picture, since he drafted some of those guys that are still playing key roles. And Ron Wolf, too. And maybe some of the college and high school coaches who mentored these players. And maybe players from the past no longer on the team who helped tutor some of the players on the team now. And the wives and girlfriends who help these guys all the time.

And "Sir Not Appearing in This Film"

Guiness
01-27-2011, 02:05 PM

What about the three pros who helped Underwood get through a tough time this offseason?

swede
01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
What about the three pros who helped Underwood get through a tough time this offseason?

I wonder where those rings would be worn.

pbmax
01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
And "Sir Not Appearing in This Film"

He's been sacked.

And Poppinga related the same story as Barnett about team members wanting their team picture up on the wall of their meeting room. Popp is an emotional guy, but I don't get a drama vibe from him, so I think the desire to be in that picture (again, we don't know when it would normally be taken) is legitimate and long-standing.

Or IR guys have WAY too much time on their hands.