PDA

View Full Version : Team Picture Debacle.....

BlueBrewer
01-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I have not seen it in any other thread titles so I thought it needed to be discussed. I feel that the Packers are making a major PR mistake here. Our teams fanbase is hearted in the midwest and deeply rooted with midwest values and ideals, why would they not let the IR players appear in the team photo, I know there is a glut of them but they went through training camp and the blood and sweat that most others did. They did not ask to be hurt or put on IR. My opinion is that this is BS and they need to change their stance quickly before this spins any further out of control. Please discuss...

BlueBrewer
01-26-2011, 07:50 AM
I have not seen it in any other thread titles so I thought it needed to be discussed. I feel that the Packers are making a major PR mistake here. Our teams fanbase is hearted in the midwest and deeply rooted with midwest values and ideals, why would they not let the IR players appear in the team photo, I know there is a glut of them but they went through training camp and the blood and sweat that most others did. They did not ask to be hurt or put on IR. My opinion is that this is BS and they need to change their stance quickly before this spins any further out of control. Please discuss...

Sorry, just saw the other thread.

Smeefers
01-26-2011, 07:54 AM
It was addressed in a couple of other places. I say let them go. No big deal orginization, say your sorry, invite the guys along and all is forgiven. I think that's the smaller issue though. I'm actually slightly pissed at Finely and Barnett. They went around cryin about the big bad team not letting them stand up in a picture all over the Twitterverse and Sports center, but then had the nerve to say "but I'm not trying to cause a distraction or nothing." Shut the hell up, thats exactly what you're doing douchebag. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either complain and own it or keep your damn mouth shut and dont cause a distraction (or at least attack this thing internally so it's not a big ol PR smear.)

But like I said, the team did make a mistake. They should be invited to the picture.

Patler
01-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Has anyone ever seen this all important pregame photo of any of the other Packer SB teams? I can't recall ever seeing one. Lots of photos of the winning team after, with shirts and caps on, at various post SB celebrations, at the White House, etc. What is the pregame photo used for? Who ever sees it? Why is it so damned important when the IR players have been invited to be on the sideline during the game and participate in all the other stuff?

It strikes me that Finley, and to a lesser extent Barnett are feeling sorry for themselves, and are having a hard time accepting that the team could do this without them on the field.

Gunakor
01-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Has anyone ever seen this all important pregame photo of any of the other Packer SB teams? I can't recall ever seeing one. Lots of photos of the winning team after, with shirts and caps on, at various post SB celebrations, at the White House, etc. What is the pregame photo used for? Who ever sees it? Why is it so damned important when the IR players have been invited to be on the sideline during the game and participate in all the other stuff?

It strikes me that Finley, and to a lesser extent Barnett are feeling sorry for themselves, and are having a hard time accepting that the team could do this without them on the field.

Patler, I think that photo is more for the players than for the fans. A sense of pride on a personal level. Maybe we don't see it, but I'd think perhaps Desmond Howard has that XXXI photo framed and hanging somewhere in his house. Ditto for the rest of the guys in that photo. It's no surprise then that its the players who won't be included in that photo that are making the most noise about it. I side with the players on this one. Green Bay blew this one big time.

Patler
01-26-2011, 08:31 AM
I suspect they have photos taken after winning, with the winners caps, T-shirts etc., at parades, at the White House, etc. not a silly "participants" photo taken before the game. If they lose, I'm not sure a photo of the losing team would be prominantly displayed. I would think the official team photo taken every year would be adequate.

This is a silly detail from a week that will have a lot more significance than the photo. It shouldn't have been a big deal. Finley is seeking attention, perhaps unknowingly. "Don't forget me!"

Gunakor
01-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Why should he be forgotten? That strikes me as the greater injustice. It's a team photo. Maybe it is just a silly detail, but it sure seems fairly important to the guys being left out. They're Packers too so I have to side with them.

Patler
01-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Why should he be forgotten? That strikes me as the greater injustice. It's a team photo. Maybe it is just a silly detail, but it sure seems fairly important to the guys being left out. They're Packers too so I have to side with them.

It seems important to two guys, both of whom have shown egos in the past. If this was Tauscher complaining, I might feel a bit different.

I say include Barnett and Finley in the photo, then send them to the stands for the game like some other SB teams have done. At least they will have their silly photo. That should make them feel part of the team!

Patler
01-26-2011, 09:02 AM

He won't be forgotten, that's the point. He's just afraid he will be. When they win, he'll get his SB ring just like everyone else.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Just make sure Ray Finkle is included in the pre-Superbowl picture. Laces Out!

Cheesehead Craig
01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Barnett is at least not being too critical about it. He knows that Bishop is making him look expendible (as is that contract extension he got as well). Nick's trying to keep his job with the team.

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Bullshit move by the Packers
Every player who has contributed to that team this year would want to be in the SB picture

Patler
01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Bullshit move by the Packers
Every player who has contributed to that team this year would want to be in the SB picture

Yes, that all important SB picture that no one ever sees. Certainly something to take to the public and make a big stink over, distracting attention from the accomplishments of the team in favor of their bruised egos.

Bullshit move by a couple self-centered players.
Crybabies.

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Bullshit move by the Packers to think that players who helped them get this far would not care

completely ignorant and stupid

get louder at lambeau
01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Bullshit move by a couple self-centered players.
Crybabies.

This.

But it IS a better idea to accommodate all the players, for obvious reasons, even for something so minor. Glad they fixed it.

Patler
01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Bullshit move by the Packers to think that players who helped them get this far would not care

completely ignorant and stupid

Perhaps, but I doubt it was an intentional slight. I suspect they felt the photo was not too important, because no one sees it and the team has their annual photo anyway.

On the other hand, two winny brats go public in an attempt to make the team look bad and distract attention from the 74 other players.

As I have written elsewhere, I suspect if the Packers win there will be other photos with the trophy.

Good move by the team? Certainly not. But a worse move by Barnett and Finley, in my opinion.

Patler
01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
This.

But it IS a better idea to accommodate all the players, for obvious reasons, even for something so minor. Glad they fixed it.

I agree completely.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm with Bretsky. Preach team. Preach one mind, one heart, one goal. Blah, blah, blah. Then, leave players out of the team photo. Dumb! I'm glad they took care of it though. I'm guessing McCarthy and Thompson weren't even aware of the situation until it blew up. I'm sure they have their minds on other things.

vince
01-26-2011, 04:10 PM
I agree completely.
2 threads going.

x2 Patler and Louder

Immature selfish act at a critical time. Both immediately go to Twitter with their grievances. DUMB and totally inappropriate.

mmmdk
01-26-2011, 04:16 PM
This has been a bad distraction; turns out it was a bad move by Packers but I really, really have lost respect for the whining players. Sure, blame it on the Twitter tool but I'm not surprised it came from the dull knives in the (IR) drawer. Now I'd be baffled if Tausch ever went crybaby. Barnett will be gone next season & Finley should calm down if TT show him $$$ sooner rather than later.

All in all; I have a bad feeling about this debacle. Hope it's just jitters.

packrulz
01-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Packers flip policy, get everyone in team photo

Posted on: January 26, 2011 5:04 pm
Posted by Will Brinson

When 50 or so* members of the Packers roster placed on IR weren't invited to take part in the team's photo, and that caused quite a bit of commotion amongst the media, fans and the players.

As soon as the story mushroomed, though, players like Jermichael Finley and Nick Barnett quickly took to the Twitter-waves in order to quash any talk of insubordination.

Thankfully, the Packers reciprocated their team-first attitude by allowing everyone on the squad and IR to join in on the team photo.

According to Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, the picture will take place in Dallas on the Friday before the Super Bowl and will feature everyone involved.

Hey, 'tis the season of overblown NFL storylines, and thankfully, this one can go die a quick death. Clearly, Green Bay would rather purchase, as Josh noted, a wide-angle lens than deal with a lot of unnecessary drama around a team looking to win as many championships without Brett Favre as they did with him.

*May be approximate

get louder at lambeau
01-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Debacle. More like debullshit.

Joemailman
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
This has been a bad distraction; turns out it was a bad move by Packers but I really, really have lost respect for the whining players. Sure, blame it on the Twitter tool but I'm not surprised it came from the dull knives in the (IR) drawer. Now I'd be baffled if Tausch ever went crybaby. Barnett will be gone next season & Finley should calm down if TT show him $$$ sooner rather than later.

All in all; I have a bad feeling about this debacle. Hope it's just jitters.

Just jitters. They haven't even started practicing yet. A distraction has been avoided.

Kiwon
01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Another Twitter-aided scandal.

Everyone who contributed to the team's success should be included in the photo. And, yes, the photo is primarily for the benefit of the players, the team and Super Bowl history. The photo is important if only for those reasons alone.

CaptainD
01-26-2011, 07:53 PM
I have a huge problem with what they did !

Please...first tell all of us what they did to get us here? Finley's 1 touchdown was HUGE in us getting here...without that...man...this team just wouldn't be where they are today...in the superbowl...his contributions were unattainable by any other tight end one the roster...except...you know...for that Quarless guy who has done that...and caught just as many passes...as a rookie...same with Crabtree...yeah Finley changed our season in all 4.25 of those games he played...

then there's Nick Barnett...those 4 games he played in just tore it up...man he has to be leading the team in tackles...he's such an emotional leader too and has never done anything negative to the team or pulled any crap off the field that would make the organization look worse...wait what? none of that is true? well some idiot told me this was the case though!!!

yeah all 8 games these two combined to play changed the outlook on the season 100%...get real ...

why with 16 guys on the IR...and roughly 12 of them who were to play key or major roles...do we only have 2 loud mouth babies crying about not being in this picture? what about Mark Tauscher? the guy is a Wisconsin guy through and through...there's no denying it...and he's a lifer with the Packers...he has a right to be complaining about not being in this picture because he's actually done something this year and he has given his career to this organization as well...

why don't we hear anything from our 3 key linebackers on IR? or 3 of our key safeties? need I remind Jermichael Finley that he has done nothing so far in his career but talk in the media and make a fool out of himself the majority of that time? remember last year when people were talking about this guy being a joke because he commented on a ball he clearly dropped and blamed it on Rodgers not putting it in a certain spot? I mean this guy could be the best TE to ever play for the Packers but he could also be the biggest cancer as well...I compared him to a young Kellen Winslow Jr. and I said that it could either be a great thing or the worst thing for this team and Rodgers...

what happens next year if Finley isn't getting all the attention and we are passing the ball effectively to our 4 WR's like we are doing now and using what got us to the superbowl? do you think Finley is going to want to be a blocker on 65% of the plays and run routes the other 35% while only getting passes thrown his way on a total of 5% of those plays? I mean he's complaining about not being in a fricken picture...A PICTURE...and then he says he doesn't want to be a distraction but he goes on ESPN and does an interview about it and that his wife tweeted to...just go away until training camp...you are no help to this team anymore this year and you should be focused on helping his team make a repeat trip instead of giving them unneeded headaches at the one you aren't even playing in...grow up !

If they thought it was wrong then like any other job go talk to the boss and state your case !

RANT OVER

gbgary
01-26-2011, 08:07 PM
the front office was wrong. i don't have a problem with the players feeling the way they did. they were a little too dramatic about it but it's fixed now. how much a player contributed is irrelevant. everyone involved should have thought first how their actions would be preceived. glad it's over.

Patler
01-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Another Twitter-aided scandal.

Everyone who contributed to the team's success should be included in the photo. And, yes, the photo is primarily for the benefit of the players, the team and Super Bowl history. The photo is important if only for those reasons alone.

Everyone? Should they bring back Mike Montgomery for the photo? He was on the 53 man roster for three weeks in October and was active for a couple games. How about all the guys who came and went from the practice squad during the year? There are probably quite a few. The ran scout team plays helping prepare the team for the next week. Should they be brought back for the photo too?

hoosier
01-26-2011, 09:03 PM
If everyone who contributed to the team's success should be included, wouldn't they have to include Favre and Cutler in the pic as well?

Kiwon
01-26-2011, 09:34 PM
If everyone who contributed to the team's success should be included, wouldn't they have to include Favre and Cutler in the pic as well?

And don't forget all the Packers season ticket holders and everyone who attended a single game to see the Packers and everyone who watched a game on television and said, "Go Pack!" and anyone else who ever wore Packer clothing during the season. They all should be included in the team photo.

They all worked for the Packers during the season, right?

packerbacker1234
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
As the debate has raged all day - and I understand the packers side of the story, PR wise they needed to AT LEAST include the major players - Barnett and Taucher - for service on this team for many years. Taucher was even asked when put on IR to still be with the team in the locker room because he was a valued OL captain. Apparently Barnett has been giving advice to the LB's, and has been helping Bishop. Haven't heard much on Finley, but he's in full rehab mode. Finely is a big part of this team. Ryan Grant is a no brainer.

Those 5 players should be included and flown up with the rest of the team. The rest I guess I get it, but those 5 are big snubs that are either were big parts of this team coming into this year, or will continue to be big parts in the future. Barnett very well may be our starting lb next year with hawk traded - and even if it's barnett we trade/let go - that is even more reason for him to be in this photo. THey can't play in the game, so at least give them the decency of being part of the moment.

Scott Campbell
01-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Just 2 weeks of these kinds of snoozapaloozas?

Joemailman
01-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Just wait until Media Day. That will be awesome.

swede
01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Out there, somewhere, Jim McMahon has a Green Bay Packer Super Bowl ring.

Life can't help being stupid now and again.

get louder at lambeau
01-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Out there, somewhere, Jim McMahon has a Green Bay Packer Super Bowl ring.

Life can't help being stupid now and again.

<<<Right here he is earning it on the sideline. Go Pack Go.

packerbacker1234
01-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Might as well stop bitching or arguing over it - Packers are putting everyone in hte picture. I don't think they thought they would get so much negative press over it when they first made the decision.

sheepshead
01-27-2011, 09:54 AM
I think all the injured guys should be on the side in a hot tub.

pbmax
01-27-2011, 11:11 AM
To answer Patler's thoughtful question: Barnett Tweeted that the photos of past Championship teams appear in their meeting rooms and that he can even see the spot where the next Championship team photo would be hung up. So the players are aware of these photos, even if the public is not.

Now what he doesn't say and I do not know, is WHEN these team photos have been taken. I doubt Barnett would recognize the different between the preseason team photo from 1967 and the Super Bowl team photo from Jan 1968. So I understand his concern.

But I wish he would have worked it out with the team privately.

red
01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
IMO this is the super bowl team picture not the official team picture taken in the preseason. the guys that got us to the super bowl and are playing in it are the ones that should be in the picture.

if it wasn't for getting to the super bowl guys like walden, green and about 15 others that are about to play in the super bowl wouldn't have appeared in the official team photo.

barnett needs to realize that he didn't do a whole hell of a lot for us this year, and in fact the d got much better after he went out. he made a huge deal out of something very little a caused a distraction for the coaches and players that will be playing in the game. his days as a packer are numbered i think

denverYooper
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Perhaps, but I doubt it was an intentional slight. I suspect they felt the photo was not too important, because no one sees it and the team has their annual photo anyway.

On the other hand, two winny brats go public in an attempt to make the team look bad and distract attention from the 74 other players.

That reminds me of people who post way too much about their domestic situation on facebook. Hell, I'll unintentionally upset my wife several times a week if I don't compliment her at appropriate times or don't notice how her hair is done, etc. I'm glad that she just talks to me about it instead of posting something on facebook about her insensitive husband.