PDA

View Full Version : Brown Pee

HowardRoark
01-26-2011, 09:50 AM
I know it's not Packer related, but this is an interesting story about what appears to be training too hard. Too bad we don't have an expert on Packerrats to comment on weight room training........btw Joe, you still can't start a thread and use the quote box (unless I am missing something).

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — The University of Iowa says 12 football players have been hospitalized for symptoms likely related to offseason workouts.

The school has declined to release the names of the players being treated. It said in a statement released Tuesday that the players were taken to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics on Monday night. They are responding well to treatment and are in safe and stable condition, according to the school.

Iowa spokesman Steve Roe said privacy laws prevent officials from further comment.

“Coach Kirk Ferentz is out of town recruiting, but he is aware of the situation and is being kept abreast of the progress being made,” Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said in a statement. “Our No. 1 concern is the safety of our student-athletes, so we are pleased with the positive feedback. Our next step is to find out what happened so we can avoid this happening in the future.”

Iowa offensive lineman Julian Vandervelde, who recently graduated from the program and was a member of the team’s leadership group, defended the Iowa’s workout practices in an interview with The Associated Press.

“They are nothing if not concerned for the health of the players,” Vandervelde said. “That’s always the first priority, health and development. I mean workouts are never used to punish. It’s always about improvement, and workouts are always well within the capabilities of the athletes asked to perform them.”

Patler
01-26-2011, 10:01 AM
The Gazette said the Iowa players have Rhabdomyolysis, which is a breakdown of muscle fibers that releases myoglobin into the bloodstream. This can affect the kidneys and be can be caused by excessive exercise.
This corresponds with a posting on the Facebook page of Iowa linebacker Jim Poggi, who wrote he was hospitalized after his urine turned brown.

So 12 players simultaneously suffer the same physical breakdown caused by overexertion? Why do I have a difficult time believing that? Why do I think it is more likely a reaction to something they ingested rather than a mere "injury". Am I being too skeptical?

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 10:06 AM
So 12 players simultaneously suffer the same physical breakdown caused by overexertion? Why do I have a difficult time believing that? Why do I think it is more likely a reaction to something they ingested rather than a mere "injury". Am I being too skeptical?

Anabolic steroids boys, ANABOLIC!!!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/YrRss58HcXg/0.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xUWSHYoslPQ/0.jpg
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/600/041/2444918_display_image.jpg?1293644158

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Is this Peegate?

bobblehead
01-26-2011, 10:13 AM

It does seem unlikely. Having enough muscle breakdown to hospitalize someone is VERY rare. I can't imagine someone being monitored by a trainer could possibly have this happen, much less someone not being monitored. In 25 years hanging around the gym (and even working out sometimes :P ) I have never heard of this occurring.

After a quick google search I found this as causes:

Risk factors include the following:

•Alcoholism (with subsequent muscle tremors)
•Certain inherited or genetic syndromes
•Crush Injuries
•Heat intolerance
•Heatstroke
•Ischemia or necrosis of the muscles (as may occur with arterial occlusion, deep venous thrombosis, or other conditions)
•Low phosphate levels
•Seizures
•Severe exertion such as marathon running or calisthenics
•Shaking chills
•Trauma
•Use or overdose of drugs, especially cocaine, amphetamines, statins, heroin, or PCP

Most likely explanation would be amphetamine abuse. I find any other thing on this list unlikely. Even this seems strange to me though, as I have always known tons of guys using different types of amphetimines and never saw this occur.

bobblehead
01-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Rand, Most anabolic steroids prevent muscle breakdown, so I find this unlikely as well. It would have to be some new designer drug that has the rebuild of AS without preventing the breakdown.

Cheesehead Craig
01-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I find it interesting that the OL stated "workouts are never meant to punish". Why would he even bring that up?

Something's fishy about this.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Rand, Most anabolic steroids prevent muscle breakdown, so I find this unlikely as well. It would have to be some new designer drug that has the rebuild of AS without preventing the breakdown.

'Romo' was urging them to use ANABOLIC steroids instead of the (possibly) CATABOLIC steroids that might result in brown pee. (Meanwhile, he's fixing up a batch of amphetamine laced protein drink). I guess if you have to explain a joke, it's not funny...*SIGH*

Deputy Nutz
01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Really hard workout. Usually workouts start to ramp up at the end of January after the bowl games and the players have had a break from football related activities. Several players were out of shape, playing and practicing football for 5 months straight isn't the same thing as intense workouts. Muscles have been broken down from the pounding of the game, and guys don't have the conditioning they did from the summer conditioning routines.

Fritz
01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Brown Pee? I thought maybe this was a thread about Joe Cribbs.

bobblehead
01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
'Romo' was urging them to use ANABOLIC steroids instead of the (possibly) CATABOLIC steroids that might result in brown pee. (Meanwhile, he's fixing up a batch of amphetamine laced protein drink). I guess if you have to explain a joke, it's not funny...*SIGH*

ah, ok, that was funny. I was reading as if you were saying it, not as a trainer. I was reading it like rand posting "Anabolic steroids boys, thats what causes this." Sorry to make you explain it, does ruin a good joke.