PDA

View Full Version : Which players will it be?

Patler
01-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Lee or Underwood?
Green or Wynn?
Zombo or Francois?
Nance or Johnson?

One from each pair will likely play in the SB while the other will be inactive. For Zombo/Francois, it likely depends on Zombo's health. For the others, coaches choice between players who have contributed in the past but who offer somewhat different things.

vince
01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
I expect the Packers to play a fair amount of 3-4, so that would mean Green gets the nod over Wynn.

I think Lee gets the nod over Underwood if he's healthy.

Johnson over Nance with the development of Starks and availability of Kuhn to play RB if needed.

Patler
01-26-2011, 03:43 PM
I expect the Packers to play a fair amount of 3-4, so that would mean Green gets the nod over Wynn.

I think Lee gets the nod over Underwood if he's healthy.

Johnson over Nance with the development of Starks and availability of Kuhn to play RB if needed.

I think the same way.
Lee was inactive against the Bears, was he still injured? Underwood seemed to have a decent day on STs.
I'm sort of wondering if they might give Lee another shot at returning kicks.

vince
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I think the same way.
Lee was inactive against the Bears, was he still injured? Underwood seemed to have a decent day on STs.
I'm sort of wondering if they might give Lee another shot at returning kicks.
Yeah, I'd have to go back and check to see what was wrong, but he didn't practice late in the week with an injury - a shoulder I think.

Edit: Lee has a hip injury.

Guiness
01-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Green because the run is a bigger concern than the pass. We want to be able to put our jumbo DL of Picket Raji and Green out there.

Zombo if he can go. Maybe both...what's Walden's status?

Underwood I think. Neither of those players are likely to see the field on anything but ST. Bush is the dime back now, right? We're getting to a part of the roster I don't know much about. I don't think either has done enough to warrant being active over the other.

Nance or Johnson is the hardest pick. Johnson is a better blocker, and blows people up, but Kuhn fits that role pretty well too. As does Raji, apparently, although Johnson drew the tougher blocking assignment on that play. Nance, on the other hand, can carry the ball, and runs hard with good ball protection. But does he do anything Kuhn doesn't?

The three backs in the 'full house' backfield have been Starks, Kuhn and Johnson, so I'm going with Johnson because that set has been successful for us.

Patler
01-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Zombo if he can go. Maybe both...what's Walden's status?

I forgot about Walden's injury. If he can't go, and Zombo is still out, could they IR one and sign another LB off the practice squad? Wouldn't that be a thrill for a PS player? :lol:

Guiness
01-26-2011, 04:19 PM
I forgot about Walden's injury. If he can't go, and Zombo is still out, could they IR one and sign another LB off the practice squad? Wouldn't that be a thrill for a PS player? :lol:

That would be something, wouldn't it? First NFL game: Super Bowl. Nice bonus cheque he'd get!
How much sleep do you figure that guy would get the night before?

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Lee or Underwood?
Green or Wynn?
Zombo or Francois?
Nance or Johnson?

One from each pair will likely play in the SB while the other will be inactive. For Zombo/Francois, it likely depends on Zombo's health. For the others, coaches choice between players who have contributed in the past but who offer somewhat different things.

Wouldn't it be Wynn or Wilson?

Joemailman
01-26-2011, 04:23 PM

They'd have to do it by Friday or that player would be pissed about not being in the team picture.

Patler
01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't it be Wynn or Wilson?

Green was inactive against the Eagles.

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Green was inactive against the Eagles.

Granted. But that was the Vick factor, wasn't it? Kind of how AJ Hawk didn't play in the first Eagles game.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd be shocked if Green wasn't active. Philly is unique (Mike Vick, don't run much, don't power run much). We need Green's bulk in this game.

Johnson over Nance.
Lee or Underwood? Who cares really. Whomever the coaches feel will help most on special teams.
Walden, Zombo, then Francois. In that order. Depends on the health of each.

Freak Out
01-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Lee or Underwood?
Green or Wynn?
Zombo or Francois?
Nance or Johnson?

Underwood
Green
Francois
Johnson

Patler
01-26-2011, 05:39 PM
I'd be shocked if Green wasn't active. Philly is unique (Mike Vick, don't run much, don't power run much). We need Green's bulk in this game.

Johnson over Nance.
Lee or Underwood? Who cares really. Whomever the coaches feel will help most on special teams.
Walden, Zombo, then Francois. In that order. Depends on the health of each.

I tend to agree about Green, although Roethlisberger presents some interesting containment challenges too. Different than Vick, for sure, but a more mobile DE might help some.

If both Walden and Zombo are healthy, both will be active, but who starts?

Scott Campbell
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
I tend to agree about Green, although Roethlisberger presents some interesting containment challenges too. Different than Vick, for sure, but a more mobile DE might help some.

I think Walden was a little more productive.

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 05:58 PM

But Roethlisberger is slow as molasses. It just takes a real force to take him down. He looks real plodding in his scrambles. I think Howard Green will be enough. All he has to do is sit on him...

Bretsky
01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
gotta have Green active; stopping the Steelers run is huge
Lee or Underwood........who cares.....
Gotta think Johnson is active for his blocking at FB
Walden seems faster than Zombo and a better pass rusher so he has to start if he can

Lurker64
01-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Walden seems faster than Zombo and a better pass rusher so he has to start if he can

Zombo sets a mean edge against the run though. I don't know if Walden getting caught inside against the Bears in that week 17 game is something that's been corrected, or just a hole in his game. But I think Zombo is the better choice against the run.

bobblehead
01-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Zombo sets a mean edge against the run though. I don't know if Walden getting caught inside against the Bears in that week 17 game is something that's been corrected, or just a hole in his game. But I think Zombo is the better choice against the run.

+1 Zombo plays the run pretty well.
Lee cuz he can return if necessary and seems equal in other facets.
Green for stuffing the run and pocket collapsing, which is what you do to Ben. Wynn has better moves, but you want a push so Ben can't step up or move around a lot.
Johnson because no one can do what he does. Nance is equal to starks for tough yards and barely better than kuhn.

Guiness
01-26-2011, 08:54 PM
+1 Zombo plays the run pretty well.
Lee cuz he can return if necessary and seems equal in other facets.
Green for stuffing the run and pocket collapsing, which is what you do to Ben. Wynn has better moves, but you want a push so Ben can't step up or move around a lot.
Johnson because no one can do what he does. Nance is equal to starks for tough yards and barely better than kuhn.

Johnson can lay crushing blocks, something we haven't seen since Vonta Leach.

Noodle
01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Walden is really good at that delayed blitz thing, where the LB kind of hangs out at the LOS, then picks his spot and explodes on the QB up the middle. Even Big Ben would have a tough time shedding a manible like Walden. So I go with Walden.

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 07:00 AM
If you look at that touchdown run by Kuhn in the Falcons game, Johnson blew up his target while raji just sort of blew his assignment. I'd take Johnson over any one of our other FB's any day of the week.

RashanGary
01-27-2011, 07:08 AM
I dunno Smeefers, Johnson makes the occasional nice block but by and large he's bad at catching, appears to be so/so at ST's, doesn't run the ball and is streaky as a blocker.

I think I'd take Kuhn first, Hall 2nd if he was ever healthy and Johnson 3rd, but since Hall can't stay healthy I'd go Johnson 2nd.

My brother is a big Quinn Johnson fan too. I don't see it as much.

Lurker64
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
I dunno Smeefers, Johnson makes the occasional nice block but by and large he's bad at catching, appears to be so/so at ST's, doesn't run the ball and is streaky as a blocker.

I think I'd take Kuhn first, Hall 2nd if he was ever healthy and Johnson 3rd, but since Hall can't stay healthy I'd go Johnson 2nd.

Wouldn't be surprised if all three FBs are active (assuming Hall is healthy). Hall is the better receiver and special teamer, but Johnson is basically required to run that ridiculously heavy package with Kuhn and Raji.

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 10:42 AM

That's just an agree to disagree thing. I don't care if my fullback can catch out of the backfield or run the ball. I want him to be absolutely awesome at his main job, which is lead blocking, and I think Johnson is awesome at blocking. I don't think he's streaky at all. I think he's good at picking up the blitz as well.

I'd take Kuhn next. He's one of them all purpose fullbacks that's okay at getting 2 yards on the run, can catch the ball, has a nose for the first down, and is a pretty solid blocker, but he doesn't have the impact Johnson does in the running game.

I personally don't like hall. Of course, I'm most likely wrong on him because he's always the starting FB come the first game of the season so the coaches must see something I don't. I just think he's more expendable then Kuhn and Johnson.

Guiness
01-27-2011, 11:47 AM
If you look at that touchdown run by Kuhn in the Falcons game, Johnson blew up his target while raji just sort of blew his assignment. I'd take Johnson over any one of our other FB's any day of the week.

That's what I was referring to in my first post. Raji's job was just to plow his 340(?)lb body ahead, Johnson had a more difficult assignment, blocking inside out, IIRC?

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 12:11 PM
That's what I was referring to in my first post. Raji's job was just to plow his 340(?)lb body ahead, Johnson had a more difficult assignment, blocking inside out, IIRC?

Yep. We're on the same page. Only difference is I think Raji was supposed to block someone. Anyone really.

Guiness
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Yep. We're on the same page. Only difference is I think Raji was supposed to block someone. Anyone really.

Hard to tell. Was he the lead blocker? His job was likely to put his head down and plow a hole that Kuhn could follow into the endzone. He bounced off a couple of bodies on the way and made it, so I'd say he did his job.

Fritz
01-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I think Green over Wynn because Green will be better able to stay in his assigned lane - gap control, baby! - so Big Ben doesn't get lanes to run through.

I think Johnson over Nance.

And I don't know about Underwood and Lee. Whoever is better overall on special teams?

I think Zombo over Francois. And Walden/Zombo probably playing situationally.

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Hard to tell. Was he the lead blocker? His job was likely to put his head down and plow a hole that Kuhn could follow into the endzone. He bounced off a couple of bodies on the way and made it, so I'd say he did his job.

Well, by definition I think he was the lead blocker, as in the first guy through the hole. I thought I heard something about him saying that he should of hit someone on that play. Yeah, that's about as specific as i can get. Anyway, I suppose he did his job. There was a hole the size of the Lincoln tunnel for Kuhn to run through after Raji did his thing.

I love it. I'm arguing about a successful touchdown run. Well, it could of been more successful if blah blah blah. I concede. You're right.

Smidgeon
01-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I think Raji said he wished he had hit someone or something along those lines. But the best analysis I heard about it was along the lines of "Raji did his job because people got out of the way--they didn't want to be blocked by him."

mission
01-27-2011, 02:55 PM
I'd be shocked if Nance played.

He's had maybe one 4-yard run all year. Not sure what his role would be.

Smidgeon
01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd be shocked if Nance played.

He's had maybe one 4-yard run all year. Not sure what his role would be.

Finding a new team in a week and a half, under the table due to no CBA of course.

mission
01-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Finding a new team in a week and a half, under the table due to no CBA of course.

Pretty much.

Bub
01-28-2011, 07:36 AM
If Zombo and Walden are both good enough to go, I'd have to think Francois (sp?) would be the one riding the pine. We haven't seen Zombo in forever, but I remember him being a pleasant surprise agaist the pass as well as the rush.

I don't see Nance being active at all. Of course Harrell will sit. Did Gordy sit last game?

Is Spitz healthy enough again? If so, I can see EDS and McDonald sitting.