PDA

View Full Version : Watching the games this year

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
I have TVO and here's how I watch the games now. I record the game, turn off the phones, and lock the door. My family is not allowed to turn on any television or radio, so I don't accidentally hear a score. I wait about an hour and a half, and then begin watching, this way I can skip all the commercials, and still not get to the end of the game before it's over. Sometimes, during crucial plays, I watch in slow-mo, it's just a stupid superstition, I think that if I see a hole opening, or a guy wide open, that Brett will see it ... I don't know, I just do it. Anyways, on certain plays, I go over and over in real time and slow mo to see how it all happened, watching different players each time. At the end of the game, I go back and watch it over again, slo moing many key plays and just watching certain players and how they respond, etc.. You get the point.

Anyways, I joined my first forum near the end of last year, and little didn't get hooked on it until early spring this year. Now I come almost daily. I am addicted big time, and I have never in my life been so in tune with the Packer team in the off season. It is awesome. Usually I would call my buddy Brian to get all the info once or twice before the season began, but one or two conversations obviously wasn't enough for me to know who was who, and it has always taken me half the season to even know a lot of the new players on the team, etc. I am more excited for the season to start than ever before!!

OK, if you're still with me, here's the reason for my post. If I watch the games the same way this year, I won't be coming to this site until about two hours after the game is over. Of course, I will know a hell of alot more than if I were to just watch it once and start chatting. But, I don't want to miss out on great chat right after the game. Do most of you get on right at the finish, or are you on while still in progress? Will I be missing out on great cnversation by not getting on for a couple of hours? Oh, my god, I can't believe I'm actually posting this. Now I know I have a problem!

Anyways, just wondering. I've never come to a forum the same day as a game. Please fill me in.

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 02:46 PM
There is usually a thread dedicated to each game. For example. "The official Packers vs. Bears" thread. Of which, many people post while they're watching the game itself.

It's nice having just one thread for the game. You can either come in and read the whole thing or perhaps just start reading when the game is over.

So yeah, unfortunately in your case...if you don't want to know anything about the game until it's over...you probably don't want to read the forum!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2006, 02:46 PM
lol, don't worry i'll wait for you

Rastak
08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
There is usually a live game thread where people discuss the game as it happens. Then, when the game ends there is usally a bunch of threads created to discuss specific aspects of the game.

At least that's how JSO worked and I would guess the same would apply here.

SkinBasket
08-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I think during last season, it took a lot of people until the next day to sober up enough to remember how to use the computer after dulling the pain as the game went on.

Partial
08-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Man the boards are always wild the day of a game! I remember when Carroll knocked that ball out in Atlanta and Barnett picked it up, there were atleast 10 threads in the following 30 seconds at JSO. It was wild!

I imagine it going a lot like draft day, with just massive threads for each game.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Man the boards are always wild the day of a game! I remember when Carroll knocked that ball out in Atlanta and Barnett picked it up, there were atleast 10 threads in the following 30 seconds at JSO. It was wild!

I imagine it going a lot like draft day, with just massive threads for each game.

Man can the season start already. I'm getting excited.......... :mrgreen:

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
partial, you know how anal I am about having multiple threads on the same topic. I hope that PR tries to encourage all things game related to be in the same thread. For example, we'll have the live game day thread and then 10 other threads will appear because each poster wants to give their review of the game.

For those that don't visit immediately after the game or that same day, it's alot of reading to go through all the posts, many of which would be about the same thing.

perhaps create an official game day thread of each game, but encourage people to write their own reviews and opinions of it in that same thread. I for example, like to go back and read old posts. Sometimes fun to read about what people were bitching about in week 1 vs week 15 type of thing.

Partial
08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
GBR, I was thinking of being a geek and kicking off the weekly 'tailgate pregame thread' on like friday night, and have that go all the way until kickoff as a sticky.

Then, once the pregame show for the game starts, desticky that and post a sticky for the official game thread.

We'll try and come up with a system to keep it organized. I definitely know how you feel about that with too many threads. It can really become a pain when are trying to get caught up and by the time you finish reading one thread there are 6-7 new ones!!

Packnut
08-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I have TVO and here's how I watch the games now. I record the game, turn off the phones, and lock the door. My family is not allowed to turn on any television or radio, so I don't accidentally hear a score. I wait about an hour and a half, and then begin watching, this way I can skip all the commercials, and still not get to the end of the game before it's over. Sometimes, during crucial plays, I watch in slow-mo, it's just a stupid superstition, I think that if I see a hole opening, or a guy wide open, that Brett will see it ... I don't know, I just do it. Anyways, on certain plays, I go over and over in real time and slow mo to see how it all happened, watching different players each time. At the end of the game, I go back and watch it over again, slo moing many key plays and just watching certain players and how they respond, etc.. You get the point.

Anyways, I joined my first forum near the end of last year, and little didn't get hooked on it until early spring this year. Now I come almost daily. I am addicted big time, and I have never in my life been so in tune with the Packer team in the off season. It is awesome. Usually I would call my buddy Brian to get all the info once or twice before the season began, but one or two conversations obviously wasn't enough for me to know who was who, and it has always taken me half the season to even know a lot of the new players on the team, etc. I am more excited for the season to start than ever before!!

OK, if you're still with me, here's the reason for my post. If I watch the games the same way this year, I won't be coming to this site until about two hours after the game is over. Of course, I will know a hell of alot more than if I were to just watch it once and start chatting. But, I don't want to miss out on great chat right after the game. Do most of you get on right at the finish, or are you on while still in progress? Will I be missing out on great cnversation by not getting on for a couple of hours? Oh, my god, I can't believe I'm actually posting this. Now I know I have a problem!

Anyways, just wondering. I've never come to a forum the same day as a game. Please fill me in.

I admire your patience. No way could I ever delay watching a Packer game when it's on. I'd be going crazy not knowing.

True story- It's 1977 and I'm getting married on a Sunday in football season. 150 people are in a church waiting for the wedding to start, but I'm no where around. Finally my father finds me out in the car listening to WTMJ and my beloved Packers. His exact words to me were " If your Packers are more important than getting married, this marrige is'nt gonna last very long". Needless to say, the marrige ended 2 years later.

Moral of the story? I should have stayed in the car and listened to the rest of the game!

MJZiggy
08-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I can't post during the game either as the tv and puter are at opposite ends of the house. I will be right there with you trying to catch up.

BallHawk
08-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't post during games because I'm not here. Most of the time I'm at some bar watching the game and talking with other Packer fans. And on occasions when the game is on TV nationaly, I don't mainly because I watch the game downstairs and my computer's upstairs. Also when I'm watching I kinda just tune out. I also have to answer all of my Dad's questions about who the new people are and other things. I pop in at half-time during the national games, though.

And how about this for a suggestion? At Brewerfan.net they have a specific forum dedicated for game-threads. Of course they have 162 games and football is 16(and hopefully more.) Whad'ya think?

Tony Oday
08-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Yup was just going to say can you make an official board for the game?

Im always at home watching the NFL ticket with my laptop running usually has three Fantasy sites up and last year JSO and this year the Rats nest.

I live in MN and there are not a lot of Packer fans and the ones that are are at a bar that is too far for me to drive after a game :twisted:

4and12to12and4
08-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I admire your patience. No way could I ever delay watching a Packer game when it's on. I'd be going crazy not knowing.

True story- It's 1977 and I'm getting married on a Sunday in football season. 150 people are in a church waiting for the wedding to start, but I'm no where around. Finally my father finds me out in the car listening to WTMJ and my beloved Packers. His exact words to me were " If your Packers are more important than getting married, this marrige is'nt gonna last very long". Needless to say, the marrige ended 2 years later.

Moral of the story? I should have stayed in the car and listened to the rest of the game![/quote]

Funny stuff!! Abit disturbing, but funny nonetheless.

MadtownPacker
08-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Man I dont think I could wait 5 minutes after the game started to know the score much less the whole 3 hours. As it is I get up early to watch all the pregame crap,, eat breakfast then watch the game. Im on the west coast so I dont have to wait too long cuz most of the games start at 10am.

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 07:42 PM
that's awesome mad, you can get drunk, watch the game and be ready to pass out by 1:30 pm!!