PDA

View Full Version : Julius Peppers fined...

SavedByGrace
01-27-2011, 10:16 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/julius-peppers-fined-10000-for-hit-on-aaron-rodgers/

Tony Oday
01-27-2011, 10:17 AM
should have been $25k

vince
01-27-2011, 10:19 AM
They should fine a percentage of game check. That's chicken feed to him, but substantial to a guy like Walden. It ain't right.

SavedByGrace
01-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Agree with both of you!

Lurker64
01-27-2011, 10:25 AM
They should fine a percentage of game check. That's chicken feed to him, but substantial to a guy like Walden. It ain't right.

They might have. Game checks for conference championship games are like $40,000 whether you're Eric Walden or Julius Peppers. Walden actually got paid more than Peppers (even without considering the fine) because the pot is slightly bigger for the winning team.

bobblehead
01-27-2011, 10:28 AM
"Frankly, Peppers is lucky the fine wasn’t more: He put the crown of his helmet directly into Rodgers’ jaw. After a season in which the NFL made cracking down on shots to the head of defenseless players a top priority, a $10,000 fine for that kind of hit seems fairly light."

this is correct. That was a blatant crown leading shot to the maw. Couldn't be any dirtier unless he went for the knees. Now I'm not saying it was an intentional head shot, but it was the epitomy of what they claim to want to stop. For 10G I would pick up the tab to have Mathews put the same hit on Big Ben in the Super Bowl. Its clearly worth it to take out the other teams starting QB, and if I'm thinking it, you can't convince me others aren't. Yea, I'm talking about you James Harrison. He has multiple flags for it this year, so it might cost him 50K....small price to take Aarron out of the game and get your team a Lombardi huh?

vince
01-27-2011, 10:31 AM
They might have. Game checks for conference championship games are like $40,000 whether you're Eric Walden or Julius Peppers. Walden actually got paid more than Peppers (even without considering the fine) because the pot is slightly bigger for the winning team.
Lurkerized.

mraynrand
01-27-2011, 10:57 AM
For 10G I would pick up the tab to have Mathews put the same hit on Big Ben in the Super Bowl. Its clearly worth it to take out the other teams starting QB, and if I'm thinking it, you can't convince me others aren't. Yea, I'm talking about you James Harrison. He has multiple flags for it this year, so it might cost him 50K....small price to take Aarron out of the game and get your team a Lombardi huh?

This is logically argued. Harrison isn't going to get tossed from the game or suspended and they know Rodgers is vulnerable. I wouldn't be surprised if they take extra shots on the guy.

BTW, the other Chicago defender facemasked Rodgers on the Peppers hit - but as we know from last year in Arizona, they don't call those when they are committed by the other team, just when Jenkins does it. :smack:

Guiness
01-27-2011, 11:19 AM
I guess the low amount of the fine could be due to the game cheque - theoretically he was fined over 25% of what he made that game...but you have to put it in context of the fact that he made what, $17million last year?

Regardless, it was a crap play. I'm not sure at what point the refs start ejecting players, but that had to be close.

red
01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
he should have been finned much much more. that play seems very suspicious to me. a-rod is completely cutting up the bears, then on one play peppers clearly lowers his head and aims right at rodgers chin, and at the same moment briggs clearly just so happens to slap a-rod in the head. which should also have been a penalty and a fine.

after that a-rod wasn't the same, mission almost accomplished

i think it was something the bears were trying to do

Smidgeon
01-27-2011, 12:07 PM
he should have been finned much much more. that play seems very suspicious to me. a-rod is completely cutting up the bears, then on one play peppers clearly lowers his head and aims right at rodgers chin, and at the same moment briggs clearly just so happens to slap a-rod in the head. which should also have been a penalty and a fine.

after that a-rod wasn't the same, mission almost accomplished

i think it was something the bears were trying to do

I think Peppers (not the Bears) wanted to hit Rodgers hard. I honestly doubt he went for the head shot, but I do think he went for a kill shot.

Noodle
01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Every opposing defensive player knows that Rodgers has had multiple concussions and that he's vulnerable for another. I guarantee that on multiple occassions throughout the game, Steeler defenders will try to light Rodgers up, go head to head, and send him to the sideline. It's sick, but it's the friggin truth.

Scott Campbell
01-27-2011, 01:12 PM
The Packers are counter attacking by stocking the Steeler locker room bathrooms with drunk coeds.

TravisWilliams23
01-27-2011, 01:34 PM
The Packers are counter attacking by stocking the Steeler locker room bathrooms with drunk coeds.

Big Ben's DTF with that!

SkinBasket
01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't mind a soccer type system with "yellow cards." If a player commits two of these penalties during the course of say 6 games, he sits out the rest of the game and the next, or just the next if the league hands down the punishment when the pussy fuck refs blow the call... gain. And they forfeit their game check to a good cause, like AIDS of the head.

Noodle
01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Skin, I'm getting sick and tired of you coming up with things that I agree with.

Seriously, your card idea is excellent and would be a far greater deterrent than the chump-change fines the league imposes.