PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Coaching Situation

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Well, it's been mentioned on and off through a few posts, but nothing really talked about. Here's a list of possible coaches we could loose. Feel free to add anyone of importance you think I might of missed.

Assistant Head Coach/Inside Linebackers – Winston Moss
Defensive Coordinator – Dom Capers
Defensive Line – Mike Trgovac
Outside Linebackers – Kevin Greene
Secondary - Corner backs – Joe Whitt, Jr.
Special Teams Coordinator – Shawn Slocum

Winston Moss was promoted to assistant head coach in order to prevent teams from grabbing him. He'd have to be offered a head coaching position in order for him to leave. I think.. right?

Dom Capers is old as dirt, I doubt he'll want to rebuild a team. He'd have to head somewhere where there's already an offense in place, and perhaps even a coordinator he can work with. I honestly don't see him going anywhere. More specifically, I don't see him wanting to build yet another franchise and those are the only franchises out there that have coaching vacancies. Why move when you have the best shot of winning rings here? Especially when winning those rings could put you in the record books for being the best D coach of this generation.

Mike Trgovac is, well, I don't know. All I know is people talk about him being good. He used to be a DC over at Carolina and I guess I could see him going someplace else for that job again. I honestly don't know enough about him to make an educated call.

Kevin Greene's linebackers have been playing out of their mind good and it's obvious that it's because of the coaching. I don't see a lot of other guys out there who could turn Zombo and Walden into the starters they've been and he's been the main coach for Clay Mathews, front runner DPOY. I can see him getting snatched up. This is only his second year coaching though, so we may get to keep him for a little bit longer until he learns the ropes, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to pick him up.

Joe Whitt, Jr. has done an excellent job with the secondary, bringing up Tramon and Sam. I'm sure he relied heavily on Woodson and Harris to help teach these kids and they were definitely great mentors, but he's the one who pulled them all together. I don't know a ton about him though, or even if teams have been mentioning his name. He's just someone I thought I should mention.

Finally there's Slocum. He's come under heavy heavy pressure this year and I will be the first to admit that he's done a pretty decent job in the second half of the season. I think he's done so well that he bought himself another year. I'm not sure about that though. He's on this list for a completely different reason than the other guys. I think he may be let go. Now, I've said in the past that "I believed once Slocum got fired that the ST would magically get better, that's how much I blame him." I just want everyone to know my bias toward this guy.

One thing I'd like to add, which I briefly mentioned with Winston Moss, is that for these guys to leave, they'd have to be offered a higher position. For Dom Capers to leave, he'd have to be offered a HC job. For Green to leave, a DC job and so on. If it's just a lateral move, then they have to abide by their contracts. Also, I'm not positive, but I don't think anyone can talk to our coaches while we're still in the playoffs. So just because we haven't seen any action on our guys doesn't mean it's not coming after the season.

Hopefully this will provide a bit of chatter for the next friggin 8 days, 20 hours and 40 minutes (give or take.)

ND72
01-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Tennessee could be an interesting spot for Dom.

Patler
01-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Interesting comment from Trgovac the other day when asked about the possibility of a DC job again. Basically, he said he quit as DC when he realized that he wasn't paying attention to his kids even when he was with them because he was so preoccupied with his job. He decided while his kids were in school they needed more of his attention. He said that hasn't changed, and his daughter is still in HS. Plus, he really likes Green Bay.

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Trgovic is probably going to be offered the D-coordinator position with the Broncos but he doesn't know if he wants to move since he has a daughter that is a junior in high school that he doesn't want to move. So he might be available in a couple of years.

Dom isn't going any where. he is one of the highest paid assistants in the game. He is old and I don't think he want to rebuild anything.

Lurker64
01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Tennessee could be an interesting spot for Dom.

Wasn't Dom's comment that while he would like another shot at a head coaching job, it has to be the right situation? I don't think a team that's as much of a mess as Tennessee would be the sort of situation Dom would want to jump into. Something like the Dallas job, after Wade got fired, or the San Diego Job, if Norv gets canned would be more his speed.

Specifically, I think, he would prefer to land as head coach somewhere where the offensive situation is pretty settled, but the defense needs work.

Patler
01-27-2011, 09:49 PM
If a coaches contract is up, he is free to leave for any job he wants. However, traditionally they don't make lateral moves because loyalty is valued, and an assistant who makes lateral moves on his own soon won't have any offers.

Joemailman
01-27-2011, 09:51 PM
One thing I'd like to add, which I briefly mentioned with Winston Moss, is that for these guys to leave, they'd have to be offered a higher position. For Dom Capers to leave, he'd have to be offered a HC job. For Green to leave, a DC job and so on. If it's just a lateral move, then they have to abide by their contracts. Also, I'm not positive, but I don't think anyone can talk to our coaches while we're still in the playoffs. So just because we haven't seen any action on our guys doesn't mean it's not coming after the season.

Packers can deny teams the right to interview their assistants even if it is for a coordinator position. Last year MM denied the Bears the right to interview Tom Clements for their vacant OC position.

I believe teams can ask to interview Packer coaches this week because the Packers don't have a game this week. Of course, I'm sure the answer would be no.

Lurker64
01-27-2011, 09:52 PM
If a coaches contract is up, he is free to leave for any job he wants. However, traditionally they don't make lateral moves because loyalty is valued, and an assistant who makes lateral moves on his own soon won't have any offers.

It's also hard to imagine any assistants making lateral moves after a superbowl appearance, win or lose. I mean, it's not like you're going to find an obviously preferable situation out there.

Patler
01-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Hard to know what motivates a guy the most. Capers could be at a point where the grind of a HC position isn't so appealing, or he could feel that he still has something to prove as a HC. One thing for certain, when he has a chance to look at the players he will have available next year, he has to lick his defensive coordinator chops over the thought of what a defensive unit he might have! What will mean the most to him right now is anyone's guess.

Fritz
01-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Is coaching special teams considered a move up for a position coach? I mean, could you keep a Keven Greene or Joe Whitt by shitcanning Slocum and giving the other guy that job?

BTW - Smeefers, welcome to the board. Good posts. But I gotta say, I laugh every time I see your name, cuz it looks like a cross between "Smithers" and "Queef."

Bretsky
01-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Mike Trgovac

I think this guy is the most likely to be offered other positions.....possibly in Phily or Denver. On our side is he has kids in high school so the timing might be right and he likes it here

I could care less about Winston Moss; he seems to get some token interviews but I'd sure love to see DOM get a nice raise and be named asst coach along with the DC.

Greene has been great as a LB coach but he's not going to get any DC offers yet

Whitt, I can see that guy being a DC soon.

I've always said Clements is way overqualified for the position he has and it's outstanding we shitcanned the Bears request to interview him for OC
Winning the Super Bowl and somehow losing Slouch Slocum would be a dream come true; I think he's keeping his job though.

Bretsky
01-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Is coaching special teams considered a move up for a position coach? I mean, could you keep a Keven Greene or Joe Whitt by shitcanning Slocum and giving the other guy that job?

BTW - Smeefers, welcome to the board. Good posts. But I gotta say, I laugh every time I see your name, cuz it looks like a cross between "Smithers" and "Queef."

No, IMO coaching ST is kind of the starter spot. Remember when Nolan Cromwell was a ST coach and after a few yrs he moved up to secondary in Seattle. Wonder if the dude is still coaching now ?

Bretsky
01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Smeefers........awesome thread idea

denverYooper
01-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Mike Trgovac

I think this guy is the most likely to be offered other positions.....possibly in Phily or Denver. On our side is he has kids in high school so the timing might be right and he likes it here

Denver's coaching staff is set. Unless Fox fires someone he just hired to make room, they won't take Trgo.

sheepshead
01-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Could you have imagined this thread two months ago? :-)

Fritz
01-28-2011, 07:18 AM
I thought Nolan Cromwell was the wide receivers coach who was then moved up to ST coach. No?

swede
01-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Nolan Cromwell was a bad quarterback. He consistently overthrew the English monarchy before becoming the Special Teams coach.

mraynrand
01-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Nolan Cromwell was a bad quarterback. He consistently overthrew the English monarchy before becoming the Special Teams coach.

Didn't he go to Milton College with Dave Kreig?

Actually, Nolan was ST coach in GB, and he became WR coach in Seattle with Holmy. There was some talk that he might move up to be OC under Shurmur in Cleveland, but somehow I doubt it. (although they've already been turned down by Sean McCoy, Bill Musgrave - going to MN - and probably Juan Castillo too) His coaching trajectory has been incredibly flat. I always thought that guy was on the HC fast track in GB, and then he pretty much flatlined. Anyone know what happened? Maybe it's family decision there too.

Patler
01-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Didn't he go to Milton College with Dave Kreig?

Actually, Nolan was ST coach in GB, and he became WR coach in Seattle with Holmy. There was some talk that he might move up to be OC under Shurmur in Cleveland, but somehow I doubt it. (although they've already been turned down by Sean McCoy, Bill Musgrave - going to MN - and probably Juan Castillo too) His coaching trajectory has been incredibly flat. I always thought that guy was on the HC fast track in GB, and then he pretty much flatlined. Anyone know what happened? Maybe it's family decision there too.

He flatlined at Seattle, where he stayed coaching WRs for a long time. But he did spend a few seasons as OC for Mike Sherman at Texas A&M. He came back to the NFL just this year, I think.

pbmax
01-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Interesting comment from Trgovac the other day when asked about the possibility of a DC job again. Basically, he said he quit as DC when he realized that he wasn't paying attention to his kids even when he was with them because he was so preoccupied with his job. He decided while his kids were in school they needed more of his attention. He said that hasn't changed, and his daughter is still in HS. Plus, he really likes Green Bay.

He said it would be difficult, but that he would have to consider it, if offered one this year. I thought the subtext was that another offer for a DC position in the future is not guaranteed.

pbmax
01-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Mike Trgovac

I could care less about Winston Moss; he seems to get some token interviews but I'd sure love to see DOM get a nice raise and be named asst coach along with the DC.

Greene has been great as a LB coach but he's not going to get any DC offers yet

Whitt, I can see that guy being a DC soon.

I've always said Clements is way overqualified for the position he has and it's outstanding we shitcanned the Bears request to interview him for OC
Winning the Super Bowl and somehow losing Slouch Slocum would be a dream come true; I think he's keeping his job though.

Isn't Whitt pretty young? And I think he has coached just the one position. This may be his first truly noteworthy effort. I think Darren Perry is the guy most likely to get a DC offer short term. He had the fast riser tag on him before with Dom and seems to be doing another good job.

MadScientist
01-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Pity some other team won't come offering Campen an OC job. That would help the Pack a lot.

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Whitt is one of those coaches that I can see being a DC within 5-6 yrs. He's not long for GB, IMO.

Patler
01-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Winston Moss seemed to be one of the "hot" candidates people talked a lot about a few years ago, and he went on a couple interviews with other teams. I don't hear as much said about him anymore. I wonder if maybe he didn't interview very well?

Fritz
01-28-2011, 11:08 AM
My guess is he'll warm up a bit now that the Pack is in the Super Bowl...

Smidgeon
01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
What about Darren Perry? (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/eagles-could-be-waiting-for-darren-perry/)

(and yes, just saw PB beat me to Perry's name dropping)

pittstang5
01-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I thought I heard Winston Moss might be on Philly's list of Defensive Coordinator candidates.

swede
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I thought I heard Winston Moss might be on Philly's list of Defensive Coordinator candidates.

Roberto Duran doesn't like the idea.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4-jEE_G8yV4/R4-yMjHGU6I/AAAAAAAAAE0/1wjUchgRlqQ/s400/Duran.jpg

Smeefers
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks. Haha, gotta love that. I had a puerto rican buddy and when he'd get excited or start talking fast, he'd call me smeef instead of smith. Best nickname ever.

steve823
01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
We should throw money at all these guys (except Campen) or do whatever it takes for them to stay because they are phenomenal. Look at the job they have done this year with the injures. Perry making Peprah look like a real safety ... Greene making the OLB opposite of Matthews look good even if they are 3rd or 4th stringers...Whitt helping Shields grow and become a star and making Tramon go from good to great....Moss making Hawk and Bishop loook like a good combo and Hawk is playing better then in the past, while Bishop isn't making big mistakes like he used to.....Mike Trgovac making due even though the D-line got hit with injuries they are still playing at a good level, while Raji is playing pretty dam good football..and it goes on. Do I even need to talk about Dom Capers..I think we all know the job he's done here and I hope he stays with GB for a while. Obviously the players are part of the equation too ,but there's no doubt in my mind the coaches are a big role and one of the main reasons we are in the Super Bowl.

Smeefers
01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
All I really know about these guys is that there's going to be a lot of new faces around next year. A super bowl winning team usually doesn't go into the next year with half the coaches they had from the previous year. It's probably one of the reasons there's so few repeats out there. I can think of 3 patriot coaches right off the top of my head that left. Weiss, Crennell and Magini. I think the most likely to go are Winston Moss and Joe Philbin. Not big losses in and of themselves. I guess who I'm really afraid of loosing is Capers. I firmly believe that he is the main reason we got to the SB.

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Weiss and Mangenious both had huge egos that needed to be fed, hence their willingness to leave. I haven't heard of any such ego on our coaching staff.

Fritz
01-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I think we should keep them all, except Campen. Unless the Packers lose the Superbowl. Then they should all be fired.

vince
01-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I have a hard time seeing the Titans being interested in Capers, knowing the kind of longevity and stability they value, along with Capers' age.

It seems likely at this point based on the rumors that either or both Perry and Trgovac could leave. Unless its to an intradivision team which could be strategically damaging, the Packers aren't likely to stand in the way of professional advancement.

I like Darren Perry a lot, particularly as Capers' eventual successor, but it's looking like we won't be able to hang onto him as a safties coach for that long. If he goes to Philly, Joe Whitt could slide over to be DB coach and they could bring in or promote an assistant for him. I think Trgovac is a great d-line coach, but he has limited experience in the 3-4 so he's a dubious coordinator prospect for the Packers at this point. Has Denver hired a D-Coordinator yet?

Fritz
01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Won't anybody out there hire Kurt Schottenheimer?

Scott Campbell
01-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Eagles could be waiting for Darren Perry

Posted by Mike Florio on January 28, 2011, 11:26 AM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/perry_darren.jpg?w=212The Philadelphia Eagles don’t have a defensive coordinator. And they haven’t had a defensive coordinator for several weeks.
And they may not have a defensive coordinator until the day after the Super Bowl, at the earliest.
Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com believes that the Eagles are waiting for a guy who’s still coaching (http://www.csnphilly.com/01/27/11/Source-Fisher-will-not-be-Eagles-next-D-/landing_eagles.html?blockID=399283&feedID=692) — and that the guy for whom they’re waiting is Packers safeties coach Darren Perry.
In fact, Frank thinks the deal may already be done.
If Perry’s still under contract, the Packers could block the move. But if the Packers are willing to let Perry leave — and if they’ve also permitted Perry to work out a deal with the Eagles while Green Bay’s season still was unfolding — then Perry could get the job quickly.
The Packers don’t have a defensive backs coach per se; Perry handles the safeties and Joe Whitt, Jr. coaches the cornerbacks. It’s possible that Whitt will simply assume responsibility for both positions, if Perry goes.
Perry spent nine seasons in the NFL, seven of them with Green Bay’s opponent in the Super Bowl. Perry started every game from 1992 through 1997, and 14 of 16 in 1998. He was a member of Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl XXX team.

swede
01-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Safeties coach? Man, you can't throw a jockstrap at Lambeau without hitting some kind of coach.

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Safeties coach? Man, you can't throw a jockstrap at Lambeau without hitting some kind of coach.

There's a coach for that too. Coach Bott M. Hanes. He's only been here a brief time.

swede
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
His support is appreciated.

Scott Campbell
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
There's a coach for that too. Coach Bott M. Hanes. He's only been here a brief time.

:rs:

Be sure and try the veal.

Tarlam!
01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Eagles could be waiting for Darren Perry

Posted by Mike Florio on January 28, 2011, 11:26 AM EST

And here I was worried thinking this story came from a reliable source....

red
01-29-2011, 11:26 AM
i don't see dom going to the titans

in order for him to leave he would have to get a head coaching gig. so lets look at the titans. every one and their mother thinks that the titans are going to bring back fat albert haynesworth this off season mostly because they are the only ones that want him. fat albert will not play in a 3-4 defense, he's already proven he's unwilling to try. so bringing in dom and his 3-4 won't work

so lets say they don't bring in haynesworth. well the titans are getting rid of VY and they are in desperate need of a young franchise qb. my guess is they want an offensive minded head coach that is good at grooming qb's not a defensive guru that runs a scheme their players won't want to run

mission
01-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Perry is as good as gone. Too bad since I thought he was our next DC in waiting.

Tarlam!
01-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Perry is as good as gone. Too bad since I thought he was our next DC in waiting.

I hear ya, mate, but the only reason our guys are targets are because of the obvious success of the team. One doesn't come with the other, right?

pbmax
01-29-2011, 11:42 AM
And here I was worried thinking this story came from a reliable source....

It is Florio, but here he is just repeating a report from CSNPhilly.com

But the piece is speculation. The only tidbit he got from team sources is that there is a method to their madness. Meaning they have a plan, and given the timing, it looks like they are chasing as assistant from one of the Super Bowl teams.

In other news, Trgovac was the #1 candidate for Denver to be DC, but they decided not to wait until after the Super Bowl, so they hired the guy from the Saints.

pbmax
01-29-2011, 11:54 AM
JSO has confirmed the Eagle interest in Darren Perry. The Notes column is not bylined, but no mention of this news being aggregated from other wire reports. I take this to mean JSO is confirming the CSNPhilly.com speculation.

JSO says the Eagles are prepared to ask to speak to Perry after Feb 6. McCarthy could turn them down since he will still be under contract.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/114844029.html

Tarlam!
01-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, it's not as big an impact as the Walrus going to Seattle during the San Diego fiasco.

Fritz
01-29-2011, 12:30 PM
And I thought he handled that pretty piss poorly. I think his attempts to be a hard-ass about that situation were a huge distraction for that team. Just my perception.

steve823
01-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I think MM let's Perry go so he can further his career and work his way up. It's not the Bears,Vikes, or Lions so let the guy have a shot in Philly and try to make a name for himself. If he does go Whitt will just coach the safeties too, not really a big deal.

Guiness
01-30-2011, 02:12 AM
It is Florio, but here he is just repeating a report from CSNPhilly.com

But the piece is speculation. The only tidbit he got from team sources is that there is a method to their madness. Meaning they have a plan, and given the timing, it looks like they are chasing as assistant from one of the Super Bowl teams.

In other news, Trgovac was the #1 candidate for Denver to be DC, but they decided not to wait until after the Super Bowl, so they hired the guy from the Saints.

They hired a defensive coach from the Saints? That was brilliant.

pbmax
01-30-2011, 08:52 AM
They hired a defensive coach from the Saints? That was brilliant.

Yep. And he was the hot guy too. The Eagles were after him.

pbmax
01-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Updates, Blowback Edition:

Darren Perry not top pick remaining in playoffs for Eagles. So says the guy from CSNPhilly.com who started the rumors.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/30/report-eagles-targeting-someone-other-than-darren-perry/

Trgovac not going anywhere because he is the best guy in the whole world. So says the Wisconsin State Journal:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/30/trgovac-indicates-hes-staying-put-in-green-bay/

Just remember, these rumors are from the agents of the 2nd choice candidate in each search. Possibly.

And no one has walked back the JSO report about Perry and the Eagles yet.

pittstang5
01-31-2011, 07:02 AM
Just to weigh in a little. All the scuttle butt around Philly this past weekend has been that Darren Perry will be the Eagles D-Coordinator and they're just waiting till after Super Bowl to interview him. I even heard a rumor (Remember this is just a Rumor) that a deal might already had been offered to Perry. The local Philly sports radio station has been talking about this since late last week. I didn't listen yesterday, but as of Saturday, that's all they've been talking about. That and a switch to the 3-4 and that the Eagles don't have the personnel at this time to do it.

Fritz
01-31-2011, 02:20 PM
So Darren Perry is walking around
Dallas with a boner, then.

I wish him well with the new gig, but I wish it were for an AFC team.

Lurker64
02-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Looks like Perry isn't going to Philadelphia: http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/32913838923849728

Fritz
02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
No boner for Darren Perry, I guess...unless his boys get three or four picks.

vince
02-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I believe Perry is still in play, according to rumors, for the Raiders' DC job.

mission
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I believe Perry is still in play, according to rumors, for the Raiders' DC job.

And Arizona, unfortunately...

Really hope I'm wrong about him being "as good as gone".

MJZiggy
02-02-2011, 08:06 PM

I'm sure there's one or two people in Dallas right now who could give Perry a boner...I'm just sayin'

swede
02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm sure there's one or two people in Dallas right now who could give Perry a boner...I'm just sayin'

Hey, we don't need any "Eugene Robinson" distractions!:evil:

mission
02-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Philly hires Campen to be DC.

Not really but they did hire their OL coach (!!!!!) of 13 years to coordinate their defense. Fucked up if you ask me.

He's even hispanic so you'd think I'd be cool with that, but come on... he's gonna get fried in Philly.

Lurker64
02-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Philly hires Campen to be DC.

Not really but they did hire their OL coach (!!!!!) of 13 years to coordinate their defense. Fucked up if you ask me.

He's even hispanic so you'd think I'd be cool with that, but come on... he's gonna get fried in Philly.

From Les Bowen's Twitter (http://twitter.com/LesBowen/statuses/32915835957813248)

"Juan Castillo's most recent defensive coaching experience was at Kingsville, Tex, High in 1989. But he has a son who plays corner for Iowa!"

I don't get it at all.

mission
02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
From Les Bowen's Twitter (http://twitter.com/LesBowen/statuses/32915835957813248)

"Juan Castillo's most recent defensive coaching experience was at Kingsville, Tex, High in 1989. But he has a son who plays corner for Iowa!"

I don't get it at all.

I'm dying to hear the "more" to this story. How did this even come about? Who thought "hey, you played some ball, want to coach our defense?"? I mean, man... I don't know. Strange as hell.

mraynrand
02-02-2011, 09:22 PM

I don't get it at all.

I'm dying to hear the "more" to this story. How did this even come about? Who thought "hey, you played some ball, want to coach our defense?"? I mean, man... I don't know. Strange as hell.

First move: Hiring Al Harris as D-backs coach...