PDA

View Full Version : Ted Thompson's best move as Packers GM

swede
01-28-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/114767889.html

JSO has online poll asking this question.

Without a doubt I believe that trading up for Clay Matthews was his best move. Rodgers fell into our lap, Pickett was simply a typical GM move, and Charles Woodson's first contract was an indication that the Packers--like everyone else in the league--weren't sure that CW was a slam dunk. He was our fallback to that linebacker that no one has heard of since.

But the Matthews deal combined scouting with deal-making with understanding how to get both of the players you wanted instead of just one. To me it was Ted's best single move in an impressive body of work.
Aaron may be the most important player on the team, but picking him was more a matter of luck than a hand well-played.

Freak Out
01-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Signing Masthay. :)

HarveyWallbangers
01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Drafting Rodgers wasn't a matter of luck. With a team that appeared to be on the verge of a Super Bowl, the Packers could have very easily ignored the need for a young QB for somebody that could help immediately. Many teams have done this. Many teams did it in that draft.

Drafting Aaron Rodgers was the best move made by Thompson.

red
01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
the drafting of a-rod took some major balls IMO. first, at the time we really weren't that desperate for a QB, a lot more teams who had much bigger problems at QB passed on him thinking they didn't need him. ted didn't really need him, but he saw the potential. then he had the massive balls to make the switch from favre to a-rod which was not at all a popular decision

if thats 1a then mathews would have to be 1b

i thought TT was insane when he gave up so much to trade up for the guy who was suppose to be the 3rd best LB from USC in the draft. but wow, that is just such a massive move and huge addition to this team

for being a "turtle" and hiding in his shell so much, he sure as hell proved he had a massive set when he made the move to get those two

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2011, 12:38 PM
His best move was getting rid of Faver.

Tony Oday
01-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Agreed...I love Favre but at the time that was the right call.

Smeefers
01-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I think Ted's most impressive work has been after the fourth round where there's a lot less of the "sure things." If Rodgers didn't play at least admirably, he'd of been a bust. No one expected him to do as well as he has. Same thing about Clay Mathews. Everyone knew he'd be good, they just didn't know how good. I look at guys like Johnny Jolly ( 6th rnd, 2006), Desmond Bishop (6th, 2007), Mason Crosby (6th, 2007), Josh Sitton (4th, 2008), Matt Flynn (7th, 2008), and Brad Jones (7th, 2009). These guys are all starters (minus Flynn) that came out of nowhere. If I had to narrow it down, I'd go with Jolly, Bishop and Sitton. Out of those three, the biggest difference maker has to be Sitton. Right now he's the best guy on our line. He started 11 games his rookie season and hasn't looked back. He's constantly getting better and is our most reliable lineman. Jolly was an idiot this summer and Bishop really hasn't played well until this year. Sitton was the diamond in the ruff. He's TT's Donald Driver. May not be as flashy, but just as solid.

* I don't know how I forgot about Sam Shields, he's the whole reason I posted this. He's another one of TT's great moves.

sheepshead
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Matthews agreed. But his best moves have been his non-moves. Pick one. (high priced free agents people on here and every other board were screaming for)

Lurker64
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Interesting how they don't have a "standing up to Favre" option on there, when a strong case can be made for that being one of his finest hours. I guess we're not quite ready for that yet.

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Rodgers. Agree with Harv's logic. TT showed right then and there that he was going to build the team his way.

I gotta also go with Greg Jennings. He passed on a couple higher thought of WRs that draft and traded down to get him.

swede
01-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Drafting Rodgers wasn't a matter of luck. With a team that appeared to be on the verge of a Super Bowl, the Packers could have very easily ignored the need for a young QB for somebody that could help immediately. Many teams have done this. Many teams did it in that draft.

That's a very good point, but I imagine that Ted had his draft board set and unexpectedly found Aaron still sitting there at 23. I can't imagine they were saying, "Whoa..this is crazy! Now what are we going to do?!!!" They were going to do what the draft board dictated. So...if you are right about the drafting of A-Rod being Ted's best move, then it was a decision made well in advance of the draft after careful deliberation.

The Matthews situation would have been more fluid, more pressurized.

Apologies to Cleft Crusty for putting pressurized and fluid in the same sentence. I know how that makes his prostate flare up.

HarveyWallbangers
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I remember hanging out in the draft thread at JSO and Bretsky and I were both praying that Rodgers wouldn't fall to us. We should no longer be allowed to comment on the draft. It's hard to believe that we've been hanging around in the same forum for 6-7 years now.

Fritz
01-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Could turn out to be Jermichael Finley.

Smidgeon
01-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Could turn out to be Jermichael Finley.

Who could turn out to be TO. But most sincerely: hopefully not.

mraynrand
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
http://graphics2.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jan06/mac112.jpg

vince
01-28-2011, 02:43 PM
http://graphics2.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jan06/mac112.jpg
Blasphemy! Chubby McChubsters can't even look a guy straight in the eyes. How can he be any good?

I'd go with Matthews. He spet a ton to go up and get his guy and it's paid off huge.

gbgary
01-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Agreed...I love Favre but at the time that was the right call.

YUP...bf. AR fell to tt and it was a no-brainer to take him. after seeing what he could do, and feeling secure that he could do it on a regular basis, letting bf go was his best move. fixing the cap situation and scoring in the draft were/are in his normal job description. i wasn't always behind him 100% but am now...until he doesn't sign someone i like . lol

gbgary
01-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Blasphemy! Chubby McChubsters can't even look a guy straight in the eyes. How can he be any good?

I'd go with Matthews. He spet a ton to go up and get his guy and it's paid off huge.

well, he can...with one eye.

vince
01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Favre is definitely one of Thompson's signature "moves," but when you look at the events that took place, I think Favre manipulated his way out of Green Bay more than Thompson got rid of him. There was a point of no return for Thompson in which he said the team had "moved on," and Favre was happy to put the "blame" on him, but without going back over the history, it's clear that he wanted out of town but didn't want to take the heat for leaving so he manipulated the situation into what it became.

If Favre wouldn't have "retired" he would have been the starting QB the next year.

Little Whiskey
01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
I remember TT getting greif for drafting a QB when he wouldn't play. I, unlike, Harv and B was rooting for him to fall to the pack. Not because I am a draft guru or that i even care that much about college football, but because I knew they didn't have and answer for when favre would retire. I thought Rodgers could be that guy.

He was TT greatest move. coupled with letting favre go. If he lets Favre stay, then rodgers goes. wow, could you imagine the situation the packers could be in right now without rodgers? maybe they bring in Cutler or Young.

sheepshead
01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I remember TT getting greif for drafting a QB when he wouldn't play. I, unlike, Harv and B was rooting for him to fall to the pack. Not because I am a draft guru or that i even care that much about college football, but because I knew they didn't have and answer for when favre would retire. I thought Rodgers could be that guy.

He was TT greatest move. coupled with letting favre go. If he lets Favre stay, then rodgers goes. wow, could you imagine the situation the packers could be in right now without rodgers? maybe they bring in Cutler or Young.

TT knew what he had in Rodgers before we did.

mraynrand
01-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Didn't someone want Logan Mankins over Rodgers?

http://www.theanimationblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/bender.png

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Favre is definitely one of Thompson's signature "moves," but when you look at the events that took place, I think Favre manipulated his way out of Green Bay more than Thompson got rid of him. There was a point of no return for Thompson in which he said the team had "moved on," and Favre was happy to put the "blame" on him, but without going back over the history, it's clear that he wanted out of town but didn't want to take the heat for leaving so he manipulated the situation into what it became.

If Favre wouldn't have "retired" he would have been the starting QB the next year.

Totally agree. I don't mean Thompson's best move was running him out of town. His best move was not letting him come back after the crying retirement presser. There was a TON of pressure on TT (and MM) to let him come back. They risked their jobs by taking such an unpopular stand against a star gone supernova, and it paid off. Legendary move.

Scott Campbell
01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Interesting how they don't have a "standing up to Favre" option on there, when a strong case can be made for that being one of his finest hours. I guess we're not quite ready for that yet.

It was his finest hour, and his most criticized hour. Lesser men would have caved.

cheesner
01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
TTs best Moves:

1. CMIII. This is the best move because it was the riskiest and it paid off big time. TT gave up 3 picks to move up and grab him, that took a lot of guts and trust in his scouting. He was rewarded with a player that has a good chance at getting DPOY honors in only his second season.

2. AR: A better player and more important position (not by all that much) than CMIII. But, it was a very safe pick at the time. I won't call it a 'no-brainer' pick, otherwise AR would have been gone in the top 5. But there was little risk in the pick and the potential for high reward - which has paid off.

3. BF: This move was by far the most controversial. Only since the Pack have been listed as the favorites in the NFCC Game, have the calls for TTs head come to an end. This one move put TT in the crosshairs of criticism from a big chunk of Packer Nation. TT made the right call and must have understood the backlash he was to receive.

4. CW: Anytime you sign a big $ FA who comes in and becomes DPOY, you did good.

5a. GJ: Again, a big risk when TT traded down, allowing another WR (Chad Jackson) the consensus best WR available, to be taken. TT hung in there and scooped up GJ later in the 2nd round. Wolf recently described GJ as having HOF potential.

5b. Nick COllins. The collective response from Packer nation when NC was picked? WWWWHHHHOOOO?!?!?!?!??? My draft guide had him listed as a possible FA pickup. Ted took him about 200 spots higher than this ranking. Many sites and top player lists didn't even have him listed. Now, 5 years and he has developed into one of the better S in the league.

vince
01-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Totally agree. I don't mean Thompson's best move was running him out of town. His best move was not letting him come back after the crying retirement presser. There was a TON of pressure on TT (and MM) to let him come back. They risked their jobs by taking such an unpopular stand against a star gone supernova, and it paid off. Legendary move.
I don't think Brett Favre ever wanted to come back - to Green Bay. It was a total manipulation job to get himself to Minnesota and blame Thompson for it at the same time.

Joemailman
01-28-2011, 05:13 PM
YUP...bf. AR fell to tt and it was a no-brainer to take him. after seeing what he could do, and feeling secure that he could do it on a regular basis, letting bf go was his best move. fixing the cap situation and scoring in the draft were/are in his normal job description. i wasn't always behind him 100% but am now...until he doesn't sign someone i like . lol

In 2004, the Packers had the NFL's #3 offense, and #25 defense. Favre threw for over 4000 yards and had 30 TD's. Picking a QB was anything but a no-brainer. Picking Arod was his best move. Letting Favre go was just a continuation of that decision. I think TT drafted Rodgers knowing that someday he'd probably have to choose him over Favre.

SMBASS
01-28-2011, 05:28 PM
TTs best Moves:

1. CMIII. This is the best move because it was the riskiest and it paid off big time. TT gave up 3 picks to move up and grab him, that took a lot of guts and trust in his scouting. He was rewarded with a player that has a good chance at getting DPOY honors in only his second season.

Not trying to be a smart-ass here Cheesner but we did not give up 3 picks for CMIII. We traded a 2nd and 2 3rd's in exchange for a 1st and a 5th. So in pure numbers we gave up 3 picks and got 2 in return. You can argue all day how the gross value of those picks compares using some convoluted, arbitrary points system but we did not give up 3 picks. I see people explain the trade like this all the time and it's just a little pet peeve of mine.

Lurker64
01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Not trying to be a smart-ass here Cheesner but we did not give up 3 picks for CMIII. We traded a 2nd and 2 3rd's in exchange for a 1st and a 5th. So in pure numbers we gave up 3 picks and got 2 in return. You can argue all day how the gross value of those picks compares using some convoluted, arbitrary points system but we did not give up 3 picks. I see people explain the trade like this all the time and it's just a little pet peeve of mine.

It's also worth noting that one of the picks traded to get Matthews was the pick they got from the Jets for Favre. There was absolutely no chance they would actually make that pick, they were going to trade it either to move up or for multiple picks when moving down. They absolutely did not want to saddle somebody with the label of "the player the Packers got for Favre."

SMBASS
01-28-2011, 06:12 PM
the drafting of a-rod took some major balls IMO. first, at the time we really weren't that desperate for a QB, a lot more teams who had much bigger problems at QB passed on him thinking they didn't need him. ted didn't really need him, but he saw the potential. then he had the massive balls to make the switch from favre to a-rod which was not at all a popular decision

if thats 1a then mathews would have to be 1b

for being a "turtle" and hiding in his shell so much, he sure as hell proved he had a massive set when he made the move to get those two

I agree with your 1A and 1B assessment Red. It took some huge stones for Ted to select Aaron considering it was his first pick as our new GM and I'm sure he knew that picking a QB would piss of Faver along with all the ball washers. He could have easily tried to appease the masses by selecting either a D player or a receiver as a new toy for Faver but from the very start he pretty much told everyone, "I really don't care whose toes I step on. This is the way I think a team needs to be built and sink or swim I'm going to do it the way I see best." At the time I had no idea if he knew what he was doing yet but I did admire his moxy.

Little Whiskey
01-28-2011, 06:13 PM
The favre move combined with the Rodgers pick, i believe, was TT biggest chance for failure or reward. If rodgers busts and Favre gets away.......everyone associated with Favre gets canned and probably never works in the NFL again. he is labled the guy who let a HOF qb leave for a bust first round pick.

if mathews fails, he's just another draft pick that didn't pan out. no different than Reynolds or BJ Sanders.

gex
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM

This is the right one IMO

The Shadow
01-28-2011, 06:21 PM
It was his finest hour, and his most criticized hour. Lesser men would have caved.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.
He made the tough - but correct - move.
Took great courage.

SMBASS
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM
It's also worth noting that one of the picks traded to get Matthews was the pick they got from the Jets for Favre. There was absolutely no chance they would actually make that pick, they were going to trade it either to move up or for multiple picks when moving down. They absolutely did not want to saddle somebody with the label of "the player the Packers got for Favre."

I thought the same thing at the time of the draft Lurker. In addition, we were in the process of switching to a 3-4 defense and I think the 09 draft was the first year since Ted had been here that the roster had been re-stocked to a point where he didn't need numbers in the draft anymore. At the time he had finally positioned things to a point where he could take a chance and try to get a couple of impact players instead of drafting a bunch of mid-tier players.

hoosier
01-28-2011, 09:18 PM
After ARod and Matthews one of the best moves TT made was one he didn't make, and not necessarily because he didn't try. If Lavar Arrington had signed with GB it's quite possible he wouldn't have pursued Woodson. And then everything on defense would have worked out very differently.

Iron Mike
01-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Then again, he failed to draft Michael Huff.....
http://www.guzer.com/pictures/polar_bear_failure.jpg

SMBASS
01-28-2011, 11:32 PM
After ARod and Matthews one of the best moves TT made was one he didn't make, and not necessarily because he didn't try. If Lavar Arrington had signed with GB it's quite possible he wouldn't have pursued Woodson. And then everything on defense would have worked out very differently.

You're absolutely right...and I guess if in 1996 Baltimore wouldn't have been involved in a complex multiple team trade that allowed them to jump one spot ahead of us and take Ray Lewis at #26 we would have taken him instead of the unfortunately forgettable John Michels and things would have worked out very differently!

Little Whiskey
01-28-2011, 11:40 PM
You're absolutely right...and I guess if in 1996 Baltimore wouldn't have been involved in a complex multiple team trade that allowed them to jump one spot ahead of us and take Ray Lewis at #26 we would have taken him instead of the unfortunately forgettable John Michels and things would have worked out very differently!

good call! but that was wolf not TT

SMBASS
01-28-2011, 11:59 PM
good call! but that was wolf not TT

I know L.W... The thing is, you can play the "what if" game all day long. T.T. tried for Arrington first but if I remember correctly Arrington wanted to play for the Giants so he could face Washington twice a year. (At least that's what he said.) The Giants may have even offered him a little more money but I honestly can't remember for sure. Of course we all know Arrington was constantly hurt and never lived up to the contract they gave him.

The next best prize sitting out there was C. Wood and he had question marks as we all know. Well, he didn't get a huge "break the bank" contract because it came down to us and Tampa and because they wanted him to play safety it was one of the deciding factors in his coming to G.B.. Evidently T.T. saw enough and believed enough in him to give him a chance to prove himself. Plus he had been an excellent player at one time for Oakland.

My point was that every team can go back and find a million examples of how things would have been very different if circumstances beyond the G.M.'s control would have changed. It happens all the time and sometimes things are just meant to work out the way they do no matter what the G.M. originally had in mind.

Guiness
01-29-2011, 12:36 AM

By all accounts, that was total luck. He pursued Arrington, had a contract nearly in place, but LA decided to stay in the division so he could stick it to his old team twice a year. Once he was gone, plan b was Woodson. Woodson was signed late in the FA period.

If LA had decided to come to GB, I don't think we even look at Woodson. I wonder where Lavar and his wonky knees are these days?

Patler
01-29-2011, 03:04 AM

So he doesn't get Woodson, and the Packers have a win or two less in 2006. Puts them higher in the draft and rather than taking Harrell at #16 he takes Revis at #14 or higher. Or maybe rather than beating MN twice in 2006 in close games they lose both and end up 6-10 and the Vikings 8-8, essentially switching spots. Then, in the 2007 draft TT takes Adrian Peterson, or Patrick Willis instead of Harrell.

My point is you can't just switch Arrington for Woodson and assume everything else would have stayed the same. If Woodson is the reason they won more games, drafts would have been different and instead of Harrell and Nelson as the first picks in the next two drafts TT might actually have had a couple difference makers, like Revis and Chris Johnson. The Packers might be better today because of it.

Brandon494
01-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Aaron Rodgers and its not even close.

The most important position in football is the QB, and to find an elite player like Aaron Rodgers only comes once every 5 years or so. Clay Matthews was a great pick but you can find a pass rusher every year in the draft. Same cant be said aobut a franchise QB.

ND72
01-29-2011, 07:29 AM

It's looking as if Favre's best chance to get himself another ring would have been to be Rodgers Backup....

RashanGary
01-29-2011, 08:06 AM
So he doesn't get Woodson, and the Packers have a win or two less in 2006. Puts them higher in the draft and rather than taking Harrell at #16 he takes Revis at #14 or higher. Or maybe rather than beating MN twice in 2006 in close games they lose both and end up 6-10 and the Vikings 8-8, essentially switching spots. Then, in the 2007 draft TT takes Adrian Peterson, or Patrick Willis instead of Harrell.

My point is you can't just switch Arrington for Woodson and assume everything else would have stayed the same. If Woodson is the reason they won more games, drafts would have been different and instead of Harrell and Nelson as the first picks in the next two drafts TT might actually have had a couple difference makers, like Revis and Chris Johnson. The Packers might be better today because of it.

Nice. I'll add on to the thought a little. An excellent GM (like it appears Thompson is) isn't destroyed by a few bad decisions (Harrell, Marquand Manual, Terrence Murphy [bad luck].) A very good GM has the good out number the bad in a way that's superior to his opposition.

Which brings me to an old topic, Mike Sherman. I remember his supporters used to say, "he had a good plan of attack and it almost worked if not for Joe Johnson's surprisingly low performance once he got here and injuries." From time to time injuries do effect seasons in a negative way. Bad moves to happen to every GM, but with Sherman, it was a slow plummet from excellence the year he took over to age and cap issues when he left. The good weren't outnumbering the bad. He wasn't reaching out to key players before their contracts were up to get discounts. He wasn't replenishing talent through the draft by taking the BPA on his scouts boards.

Ted has made a couple amazing decisions but it seems he's more of an "overall body of work" GM than a one or two lucky shots kinda GM.

mraynrand
01-29-2011, 08:38 AM

The most important position in football is the QB, and to find an elite player like Aaron Rodgers only comes once every 5 years or so. Clay Matthews was a great pick but you can find a pass rusher every year in the draft. Same cant be said aobut a franchise QB.

So why is Aaron Rodgers elite? Wasn't he another Tedford QB with a weird delivery and all that? I wonder how he became elite?

Scott Campbell
01-29-2011, 08:48 AM

I don't think it's just one decision either. I don't think Aaron did it alone. There were decisions made that helped him (and Flynn) develop.

Fritz
01-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Well, maybe some of Thompson's best moves were non-moves. NOT caving in to the media/blogosphere pressure to sign a big name free agent. NOT taking the seemingly "obvious" picks all the time, like the receiver he didn't take (Chad Jackson?) the same year he took Greg Jennings instead. NOT bringing Al Harris back because Al worked so hard to come back.

pbmax
01-29-2011, 11:24 AM
It's looking as if Favre's best chance to get himself another ring would have been to be Rodgers Backup....

We'll never know, but I wonder if there was any shred of doubt in Favre about having to compete with Rodgers for the job. At the time, that thought seemed sheer lunacy. But knowing what we know now (according to Brandt, there was little doubt inside Lambeau offices about Rodgers), was he worried about being upstaged?

That would give many men pause.

BTW, the best move was a tie between Rodgers and sticking to the young QB when Brett retired/unretired. But because there are so many other moves that could be labeled 1A, it becomes obvious why the team is playing at a high level.

Tarlam!
01-29-2011, 12:03 PM
After weighing up all of TT's acquisitions it's easy to say the Rodgers gamble paid off handsomely and thus, that move was his best. But, nobody has mentioned the Sherman/M3 move, which I personally think was pretty darn good. Love him or not, "Stubby" as some of you call him is pretty decent. Even when Flynn played, they almost beat the Patsies. I dunno how much TT had to do with hiring Dom, but sheeeet, that's a great move right there!

But, I don't believe any single player or coach acquisition was his best move. I believe his best move was being himself from Day One, despite the horrific pressure from the NFL's most passionate and arguably most football literate fans. How many of us screamed when he let Wahle leave? Of course we all did the math, but geez, Wahle? Rivera? In the same off season?? Then Sharper, the Applebees Kicker, household names in GB.

TT's greatest achievement is only being felt this season, when so many starters can be replaced with minimal collateral damage, we fans know TT has done his job.

Fritz
01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
We'll never know, but I wonder if there was any shred of doubt in Favre about having to compete with Rodgers for the job. At the time, that thought seemed sheer lunacy. But knowing what we know now (according to Brandt, there was little doubt inside Lambeau offices about Rodgers), was he worried about being upstaged?

That would give many men pause.

BTW, the best move was a tie between Rodgers and sticking to the young QB when Brett retired/unretired. But because there are so many other moves that could be labeled 1A, it becomes obvious why the team is playing at a high level.

Yes, that would give many men a pause.

MadtownPacker
01-29-2011, 12:43 PM
As good as it turned out I dont see how anyone can call the Rodgers pick TT "best move". IMO he HAD to pick Rodgers when he fell to him. I knew it was going to be Rodgers once the teams in the teens didn't pick him. Call it TT's luckiest pick if you ask me.

Best actual move has to be Woodson, took a fading star and put him in a place where he has shined brighter than ever.

BZnDallas
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
As good as it turned out I dont see how anyone can call the Rodgers pick TT "best move". IMO he HAD to pick Rodgers when he fell to him. I knew it was going to be Rodgers once the teams in the teens didn't pick him. Call it TT's luckiest pick if you ask me.

Best actual move has to be Woodson, took a fading star and put him in a place where he has shined brighter than ever.

i dont know mad... couldn't you say that woodson fell in TTs lap aswell seeing as GB was the only team going to allow him to play CB?

i agree with the opinion that TTs best move was sticking to HIS plan... never let the pressure change the way he was going to build this team... collectively his moves have created something i enjoy watching every sunday... (except tomorrow!!!) so i have to give my vote as sticking the the plan...

steve823
01-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Lets just agree that TT is the man. All these moves he made are great and are the reason why we are here. I would also consider TT's non-moves as important as his moves. Many teams go after free agents or big names, while TT didn't and got criticized for it time and time again. His patience paid off and he has a great team. The only problem in the future will be keeping all this talent and signing everyone....and that's a great problem to have.

Patler
01-29-2011, 04:19 PM

He "HAD' to pick Rodgers? Seriously? Don't you agree that a number of teams ahead of the Packers would have taken Rodgers if they had known how he was going to turn out? Why didn't they "have" to take him? The Packers had an urgent need in the O-line. Why didn't they "Have to" take Mankins? If he "HAD" to take Rodgers, why did so many criticize the pick? For the next 12-18 months we heard more about TT having wasted his first pick than we heard about his good fortune in having Rodgers fall into his lap.

The only reason TT "had" to take Rodgers is because of his commitment to best player available, regardless of the present need for that player.

Saying he "HAD" to take Rodgers ignores the likelihood that other GMs in that same situation may not have taken Rodgers, such as those ahead of him that day that wish they had Rodgers now.

Fritz
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Best player available...this means when Ted picks a tight end in the first round, I'm going to have to stifle my cries of anguish as my favorite right outside linebacker/cornerback sits and waits....

vince
01-29-2011, 07:25 PM
1a. Trading up and paying a ton to get Clay Matthews
1b. Selecting Aaron Rodgers with Favre and a Bad D
1c. Signing Charles Woodson
1d. Drafting Jermichael Finley
1e. Sticking to His Guns with Favre
1f. Trading Down and Getting Greg Jennings
1g. Nick Collins from Bethune-Cookman
1h. Finding Tramon Williams
1i. Finding Sam Shields
1j. Sitton
1k. McCarthy
1l. Capers

12-way tie.

Pugger
01-29-2011, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=vince;572581]Favre is definitely one of Thompson's signature "moves," but when you look at the events that took place, I think Favre manipulated his way out of Green Bay more than Thompson got rid of him. There was a point of no return for Thompson in which he said the team had "moved on," and Favre was happy to put the "blame" on him, but without going back over the history, it's clear that he wanted out of town but didn't want to take the heat for leaving so he manipulated the situation into what it became.

If Favre wouldn't have "retired" he would have been the starting QB the next year.[QUOTE]

I agree with this. I too think Favre wanted out. Why else would a guy want to leave a team that was in the conference championship game just weeks before? I wonder if Favre feared he might have a hard time keeping Rodgers on the bench and he might lose his starting job during the next TC...?

To me TT's best move was pulling the trigger on Rodgers. I have a feeling there are 23 other GMs kicking themselves for passing on him that day.

RashanGary
01-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Setting the schedule so that the injured players cannot travel with the team to Dallas or be a part of hte team photo. That was a genius one.

swede
01-29-2011, 08:33 PM
12-way tie.

Heh heh! I got to the bottom and laughed out loud.

Seriously, though, when you lay those actions out many of them represent interrelated decisions. Aaron Rodgers fell to us--no doubt, but Ted stuck to his draft board as a matter of organizational policy. When no one in the public knew that Aaron might be pretty good, and when no one outside the organization had any idea that Aaron possessed a cocky, controlled cool and a drive to be great Ted and Mike were ready to give him his shot after Brent retired. And after Brent UNretired they stayed the course through the public relations nightmare. We've been over this all before but I think it really does show that Ted is really disciplined in his approach and strives to be fair as he can to people within the constraints of a business that demands that he hire and fire dozens of young men every year.

The one instance in which he may have gotten REALLY lucky is when LaVar Arrington turned down our competitive offer, making Charles Woodson move into the primary target as a free agent acquisition.

Even going after Arrington, in retrospect, seems a very Un-TT thing to do, and Arrington's lack of success afterward just goes to show that the free agent market is fraught with the peril that makes Ted so cautious to begin with.

Smidgeon
01-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Heh heh! I got to the bottom and laughed out loud.

Seriously, though, when you lay those actions out many of them represent interrelated decisions. Aaron Rodgers fell to us--no doubt, but Ted stuck to his draft board as a matter of organizational policy. When no one in the public knew that Aaron might be pretty good, and when no one outside the organization had any idea that Aaron possessed a cocky, controlled cool and a drive to be great Ted and Mike were ready to give him his shot after Brent retired. And after Brent UNretired they stayed the course through the public relations nightmare. We've been over this all before but I think it really does show that Ted is really disciplined in his approach and strives to be fair as he can to people within the constraints of a business that demands that he hire and fire dozens of young men every year.

The one instance in which he may have gotten REALLY lucky is when LaVar Arrington turned down our competitive offer, making Charles Woodson move into the primary target as a free agent acquisition.

Even going after Arrington, in retrospect, seems a very Un-TT thing to do, and Arrington's lack of success afterward just goes to show that the free agent market is fraught with the peril that makes Ted so cautious to begin with.

Just like going after Woodson was a very Un-TT thing. But retrospect is great. What if Woodson bombed out and Arrington was the one to go onto another team and play five more solid years? Remember Woodson had been injured frequently before TT got him. And he threw big money at him and thought he was still a corner. That took a lot of risk, a lot of guts, a lot of faith in his scouts and sources, and he was rewarded with a DPOY, a player with better years in GB than in Oakland, and a tool for Dom Capers to create a unique defense in NFL history.

swede
01-30-2011, 12:38 AM
THANKSLAVARARRINGTON

pbmax
01-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Best player available...this means when Ted picks a tight end in the first round, I'm going to have to stifle my cries of anguish as my favorite right outside linebacker/cornerback sits and waits....

Exactly. Remember all the mini-hullabaloos over his early picks? Rodgers, Collins, Jennings and Murphy? Everyone has either another position in mind or another player.

Joemailman
01-30-2011, 09:08 AM
When TT took Brohm in the 2nd round, was that a matter of Brohm being seen as the best player available, or did TT have doubts about Rodgers? Or both?

pbmax
01-30-2011, 09:13 AM
When TT took Brohm in the 2nd round, was that a matter of Brohm being seen as the best player available, or did TT have doubts about Rodgers? Or both?

I think it was value. Brohm had a backend of the first round grade in many places and the Packers needed a backup.

Scott Campbell
01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Maybe Ted's best move was not caving in to all the "win now" rhetoric from the ADD impaired portion of the fan base.

Fritz
01-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Finally coming to grips with the fact that Aaron Rouse sucked was a good move, albeit a little late.

Tarlam!
01-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Maybe Ted's best move was not caving in to all the "win now" rhetoric from the ADD impaired portion of the fan base.

I maybe didn't spell it out; TT's best move was bringing in a plan and sticking to it. BPA in the draft, no over the top FA deals, signing your own if they're Packer People ET AL! I phrased it as being himself.

swede
01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
I maybe didn't spell it out; TT's best move was bringing in a plan and sticking to it. BPA in the draft, no over the top FA deals, signing your own if they're Packer People ET AL! I phrased it as being himself.

Yep. That's why I laughed at Vince's 12-way tie for TT's best moves. All of the moves are linked somehow to the characteristics you mention. You might to your list, "Treating ALL players consistently and fairly within the parameters of the football business." Brent felt he had earned the right to deal with the team using a separate set of rules. He got pissed because the Packers treated him FAIRLY. (If you are sure you want to unretire you will have to compete for the job that became Aaron's in your four month absence from the team.)

Brandon494
01-30-2011, 04:56 PM

I think it had something to do with Rodgers being the only QB on the roster. TT knew what he had in Rodgers but you still need a backup. Atleast he made up for the pick with Fylnn in the 7th.

Pugger
01-30-2011, 07:28 PM
I think it had something to do with Rodgers being the only QB on the roster. TT knew what he had in Rodgers but you still need a backup. Atleast he made up for the pick with Fylnn in the 7th.

Here is a perfect example of it not mattering where you draft the player as long as you find him!

MJZiggy
01-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Now that I think about it, his best move was leaving Seattle...After that, it's things like the phrase, "If you'll stop booing...," not caving to reporters' stupid leading questions, and then we get into things like not overvaluing players and staying true to his BPA draft board.

easy cheesy
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Now that I think about it, his best move was leaving Seattle...After that, it's things like the phrase, "If you'll stop booing...," not caving to reporters' stupid leading questions, and then we get into things like not overvaluing players and staying true to his BPA draft board.

Not that they HAVE amounted to anything.... but the Seachickens would never have risen above ameba level without TT and Homegrown.... Pete Carroll is an abomination btw...

RashanGary
01-31-2011, 06:11 AM
Ted Thompson's best move as a Packer was to stay true to himself. His first stint in GB, he was a great scout. So great that Ron Wolf named him as the one guy who could do what Wolf did in the early 90's. In Seattle, he was the head of player personnel and he was so good at it that Mike Holmgren called his front office the best in the NFL and it wasn't because of himself, it was Ted and Reinfeldt. When Ted came to Greenbay he didn't start sending other people around to do the scouting. He didn't sit in a cushy office at 1265 80% of the year. He didn't micromanage areas of the team he wasn't an expert in. He didn't get up in front of the media and listen to himself talk. He does, primarily, the thing he's great at. He finds talent. And digging McCarthy up was a fuckin gem.

THANKSTED

Fritz
01-31-2011, 02:22 PM
I love that he still does so much scouting. Go TT!

He's working the senior bowl this week, I think? Some bowl.

Looking for his next left guard outta South Dakota State Technical College.

Tony Oday
01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
WAIT his best move was taking the job ;)

vince
01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Another great move that I don't think has been mentioned was standing firm against Javon Walker. He took a lot of heat at the time from the anti-TT crowd for that one. Packnut called it the worst move in history at the time as I recall.

Joemailman
01-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Another great move that I don't think has been mentioned was standing firm against Javon Walker. He took a lot of heat at the time from the anti-TT crowd for that one. Packnut called it the worst move in history at the time as I recall.

Yeah, but Packnut was just getting warmed up.

Scott Campbell
01-31-2011, 06:35 PM
He was a self described degenerate gambler. What I'd give to be his bookie.

vince
01-31-2011, 07:33 PM
He was a self described degenerate gambler. What I'd give to be his bookie.:lol:

bobblehead
01-31-2011, 08:26 PM
TT's best move came in 2011 when he improved a team that just won the superbowl. He could have stood pat and mailed it in for a year, but he continued to work his ass off to improve the team through every means possible.

RashanGary
01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
If we win the SB this year, we will open the door to veterans wanting to be here. Asamoga is one example of a vet who will want to be here to win a SB.

Travbrew
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
If LA had decided to come to GB, I don't think we even look at Woodson. I wonder where Lavar and his wonky knees are these days?

http://cbswjfk.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/lavar-page-header-650x250.jpg

106.7 The Fan (in DC) Listen to them every day on my way home from work.

vince
02-02-2011, 06:47 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14631605/ted-thompsons-five-best-moves-as-packers-general-manager
Ted Thompson's five best moves as Packers general manager
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Ted Thompson's five best moves

1. Hiring little-known Mike McCarthy to be his head coach in 2006. When Thompson hired McCarthy, he was coming off a season as an offensive coordinator of a bad offense in San Francisco. Boy, has that move paid off.

2. Drafting Aaron Rodgers in 2005. The Packers had Brett Favre. Didn't matter to Thompson. There was too much value in Rodgers. He took him and put him on the shelf until it was time to play -- leading to his next biggest move.

3. Deciding to let Favre walk and play Rodgers in 2008. It certainly wasn't a popular move, but it was the right one. See Sunday.

4. Signing Charles Woodson as a free agent. Thompson's style isn't to sign free agents, but the value in Woodson, a top-tier corner, was too great to pass up.

5. Not trading for Marshawn Lynch. When Packers running back Ryan Grant went down for the season, there was a lot of pressure to acquire Lynch from the Bills at the trading deadline. Thompson passes in part because he has rookie James Starks on the roster. Starks has proven to be a valuable player in this Super run.

swede
02-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Those aren't bad for someone who is not a beat writer.

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Not bad, but there's no way trading up for Clay Matthews shouldn't be ahead of not trading for Lynch. Several of his draft picks (Jennings, Collins, Finley, Sitton) and street FA signings (Williams, Shields) are better than that move.

get louder at lambeau
02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Not bad, but there's no way trading up for Clay Matthews shouldn't be ahead of not trading for Lynch. Several of his draft picks (Jennings, Collins, Finley, Sitton) and street FA signings (Williams, Shields) are better than that move.

Not signing Travis Henry should be up there too, if they want to include non-moves.

Patler
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Exactly. What if he had not, not traded for Lynch (i.e. he had traded for him), Starks would still be there, and if he deserved to be playing ahead of Lynch, he would be.. TT would be out a draft pick for next year, but with Grant, Starks and Lynch he would have something to trade. If he had traded for Lynch, that wouldn't make them worse right now, but if he hadn't traded up to get Matthews, or hadn't signed Williams or Shields this team would be a lot different.

Guiness
02-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Ice for your drink, Patler?

Fritz
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
But what if he had not not not traded for Lynch...?

Seriously, though, that was a good non-move for the future of this club. Who would want Lynch, Grant, and Starks (not to mention Jackson) trying to fit into the same backfield next year? Ugh. And you still have that third rounder at your disposal.

vince
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Here's a good article from Peter King that hammers home the point Swede made about many of Thompson's best moves being inextricably intertwined.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/02/02/thompson/index.html?eref=sihp

Thompson's tough choice on Favre paved way to Packers' success

"Tell Ted to release me.''

-- Text message from Brett Favre to me, referring to Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson, July 28, 2008.

DALLAS -- A National Football League general manager needs to know players. He needs to know when to make a deal, and when to hold the line a little bit longer. He needs to know when to build for the long term, and when to build for the short. He needs to know not to be a slave to free agency, because free agency as a predominant team builder doesn't work. He needs to know he has to sometimes make a decision that will benefit the team two years down the road though it may hurt the team today. But the most important trait a general manager can have sometimes -- lots of times, actually -- is a thick-skinned patience.

Ted Thompson, perhaps wisely, shies way from talking about the end of his days with Brett Favre. What can be gained from rehashing the most sordid of divorces between star and team? When I asked Thompson two weeks ago about whether he'd ever questioned himself over choosing Aaron Rodgers over the waffling but all-time-great Favre as the Packer quarterback in 2008, he thought for a moment, shifted in his chair a bit and said, "I never touch this anymore. But no. We never questioned ourselves.''

How Thompson handled the Favre situation, in retrospect, should be the centerpiece in the textbook studied by all young personnel men in the GM 101 curriculum. And it's a huge reason the Packers stand on the precipice of their first world title in 14 years.

Thompson knew when to say when with Favre; he was tired of being on the will-he-play-or-won't-he seesaw every offseason. Thompson knew he had a first-round quarterback he trusted, Aaron Rodgers, who'd sat for three years and was bursting at the seams, ready to play. Thompson knew if Rodgers got held back one more year, he'd likely do everything in his power to get traded and not want to sign another contract again, ever, with Green Bay.

Thompson knows he had faith in the coach who'd told him time and again not to worry about the quarterback transition -- Rodgers could play. And though he saw the billboard BRINGBACKBRETT.COM as he drove the streets of Green Bay, and knew the "Bring Back Brett'' T-shirts were doing a land-office business in Wisconsin, and felt the "Thompson's over his head'' fan reaction all over the place ... Ted Thompson, personnel man at his core, team architect from the tree of the unemotional Ron Wolf, knew it was the right thing. He had to stand his ground. He had to go with Rodgers.

Two weeks before the thing exploded, for the only time I recall in the entire Favre drama, Thompson spoke on the record about it. The Packers were getting bashed locally at the time, because Favre wanted to return, and the court of public opinion was loud in his favor. I'll never forget it, because I was on vacation at the time, in a pool in Los Angeles, when my phone rang with the offer to talk about it with Thompson and McCarthy. The story fascinated me, so for two-thirds of a day, I came off vacation, talked to them, and wrote about it. Keep in mind there were few people around the league at the time who, once Favre said he wanted to return, thought Thompson should stick with his guns, keep Rodgers, and let Favre sit. As I wrote at the time:

"I talked to one GM the other day who told me, 'Ted's got no choice. If he doesn't take Favre back, he's an idiot.' Oh, really? And what if Favre plays one season, retires, and Rodgers tells the franchise to go fly a kite, and he's never signing another contract with the Pack? What kind of an idiot would Thompson be then? The village idiot, I'd say.''

So that was the environment Thompson was in that day, that week, that month. As we spoke, a crowd of about 100 fans were said to be half-demonstrating/half barbecuing in the Lambeau Field parking lot. Occasionally chanting, "Bring back Brett! Bring back Brett!''

"Well,'' Thompson said that Sunday in July 2008, "we're going to cross this river, and this is what we have to do right now. We're in a unique situation, obviously. I don't know who's ever had to face a situation like this before. We don't have the answers. I wish someone would call me with the right answer.''

But he knew the answer then. He'd held a conversation before ours with Favre, and told him where the thing stood. "Ted told me, 'Aaron's our starter,' '' said Favre. "I asked if I could compete for the job. He said, 'That is not an option.' He said, 'Coming up there obviously is not good. Things have changed. We've moved on.' ''

So, Favre said, give me my release. That was not an option either. He knew Favre wanted to go play for his old quarterback coach, Darrell Bevell, the Minnesota offensive coordinator. That wasn't going to happen. Thompson had to take the slings and arrows from Favre, and from his public, and -- anonymously -- from his peers. He knew they thought he was a rube for not welcoming Favre back. You don't know what you have with Aaron Rodgers. Favre just had a great season. Wake up, man!

Rodgers has thrown for 4,000 yards three years in a row. The passing totals of his first three years, in fact, are comparable with Favre's totals in his three-year MVP run in 1995 through 1997. Thompson doesn't gloat. He doesn't even comment. He doesn't need to. We all see it.

Postscript: When Thompson traded Favre to the Jets, Green Bay ended up getting a third-round pick in return, the 83rd pick in the 2009 draft. The Packers, on draft day 2009, had already taken B.J. Raji in the first round, and now, late in the round, were calling around, trying hard to find a pick to take one more player in round one. They began talking to New England, sitting at 26, and could give second- and third-round picks, the 41st and 73rd overall, but that wasn't quite enough. They needed to sweeten the pot with one more good pick. So Thompson threw in the 83rd pick ... the pick acquired from the Jets for Favre.

"There has been a trade, and with the 26th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft,'' Commissioner Roger Goodell said moments later in New York, "the Green Bay Packers have selected Clay Matthews, linebacker, USC.''

mission
02-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Those last two paragraphs are absolutely beautiful!

I forgot who mentioned this, but someone said TT was never going to use that 83rd pick on a player because he never wanted him to have the label of "the guy who they got for favre". When you look at it like King has above, it really makes me think we got the much better end of the stick on this one. :)

Patler
02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
But what if he had not not not traded for Lynch...?

Seriously, though, that was a good non-move for the future of this club. Who would want Lynch, Grant, and Starks (not to mention Jackson) trying to fit into the same backfield next year? Ugh. And you still have that third rounder at your disposal.

Sure it was a good non-move. Not disputing that. But one of his 5 best moves or nonmoves? Ahead of trading up to get Matthews? Ahead of finding Williams and Shields? Ahead of drafting Collins, Jennings, Raji? Ahead of resigning Clifton this year? That was huge.

Even if he had traded for Lynch, he might have been able to get a draft pick back by trading him or Grant after the season.

Not trading for Lynch is just not of much consequence right now.

Freak Out
02-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Man....Clifton and the boys need to have a good game this week. Stay healthy.

Joemailman
02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
There was talk a couple of weeks ago about the Bears having been interested in James Starks. Seems they were also interested in Sam Shields.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110203/PKR01/302050012/-The-ceiling-on-this-kid-is-unbelievable-Shields-prospects-exciting-

Two Packers scouts have ties to the football program because they attended school there. Alonzo Highsmith, an area college scout, had a distinguished career at Miami as a player, was a teammate of then-coach Randy Shannon, and has a son, A.J., who’s a quarterback at the school. Also, one of their assistant directors of pro personnel, Eliot Wolf, went to college at Miami and worked in the athletic department while a student.

Those ties helped the Packers’ trust their evaluation of Shields’ character, which checked out fine. Then immediately after the draft, Highsmith’s relationship with Shannon helped sell Shields and his agent that the Packers were his best option. On the evening the draft ended, Shields was on the telephone getting a persuasive pitch from a Chicago Bears scout when he got another call.

“I was like, ‘I might be in Chicago,’” Shields said. “Then my agent, Drew Rosenhaus, called me and said, ‘Packers.’”

Said Joe Whitt, the Packers’ cornerbacks coach, who had given Shields a first-round draft grade earlier that spring: “They called me in there and said we’ve got Shields. I was happy.”

hoosier
02-04-2011, 07:42 AM
There was talk a couple of weeks ago about the Bears having been interested in James Starks. Seems they were also interested in Sam Shields.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110203/PKR01/302050012/-The-ceiling-on-this-kid-is-unbelievable-Shields-prospects-exciting-

Two Packers scouts have ties to the football program because they attended school there. Alonzo Highsmith, an area college scout, had a distinguished career at Miami as a player, was a teammate of then-coach Randy Shannon, and has a son, A.J., who’s a quarterback at the school. Also, one of their assistant directors of pro personnel, Eliot Wolf, went to college at Miami and worked in the athletic department while a student.

Those ties helped the Packers’ trust their evaluation of Shields’ character, which checked out fine. Then immediately after the draft, Highsmith’s relationship with Shannon helped sell Shields and his agent that the Packers were his best option. On the evening the draft ended, Shields was on the telephone getting a persuasive pitch from a Chicago Bears scout when he got another call.

“I was like, ‘I might be in Chicago,’” Shields said. “Then my agent, Drew Rosenhaus, called me and said, ‘Packers.’”

Said Joe Whitt, the Packers’ cornerbacks coach, who had given Shields a first-round draft grade earlier that spring: “They called me in there and said we’ve got Shields. I was happy.”

After reading this it is hard to understand why Shields wasn't drafted. The failed drug test report turned out to be false, no? If there were still questions about his character, fine, draft him in the second day, but a first round grade at a key position who simply doesn't get drafted??

Fritz
02-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Sure it was a good non-move. Not disputing that. But one of his 5 best moves or nonmoves? Ahead of trading up to get Matthews? Ahead of finding Williams and Shields? Ahead of drafting Collins, Jennings, Raji? Ahead of resigning Clifton this year? That was huge.

Even if he had traded for Lynch, he might have been able to get a draft pick back by trading him or Grant after the season.

Not trading for Lynch is just not of much consequence right now.

No, I don't think it was one of his five best, either. I agree with you. I just wanted to write "not" three times in a row, and rub it in a little for the people who were whining so vociferously a few months ago that TT was failing - again - because he refused to give up one of his beloved draft picks for a player the Packers obviously NEEDED right now. I also wanted to remind people that in truth, the GM's job is to do more than look at the next month or even the next season. It just would not have helped this team to go into camp with three guys who could be the number one back and none of whom was a speedster. It would've been a waste of a third round pick, in my opinion.

So no, it was not one of Thompson's five best. But it might've been one of Thompson's five best non-moves, if there could be such a category.

HarveyWallbangers
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
No, I don't think it was one of his five best, either. I agree with you. I just wanted to write "not" three times in a row, and rub it in a little for the people who were whining so vociferously a few months ago that TT was failing - again - because he refused to give up one of his beloved draft picks for a player the Packers obviously NEEDED right now. I also wanted to remind people that in truth, the GM's job is to do more than look at the next month or even the next season. It just would not have helped this team to go into camp with three guys who could be the number one back and none of whom was a speedster. It would've been a waste of a third round pick, in my opinion.

So no, it was not one of Thompson's five best. But it might've been one of Thompson's five best non-moves, if there could be such a category.

Essentially, it wasn't one of his five best moves, but it was a good one to put on this list to stick it in the faces of those that said Thompson was making a mistake for not trading a 3rd round pick for Lynch?

gbgary
02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
After reading this it is hard to understand why Shields wasn't drafted. The failed drug test report turned out to be false, no? If there were still questions about his character, fine, draft him in the second day, but a first round grade at a key position who simply doesn't get drafted??

evidently shields was a terrible receiver (3 yrs.) and only ok as a db (no ints and only two passes defensed his senior yr) that's why he wasn't drafted. he was/is fast and was good at special teams at miami. it's the Packers that turned him into the player is now.

RashanGary
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
We'd be better right now and have a better chance win the SB with Lynch. I don't think the people who wanted Lynch were that far off. It's way more idiotic to have that on a top 5 list for Ted's moves.

Calling TT an idiot and saying we won't win the SB because of him and his style, yeah, that sounds pretty stupid now. But don't we all from time to time.

Before the 2005 season I remember being in a pissing match with you, HW, about how the Pack were in trouble. You aregued everything was fine and they'd win 10 or 12 games ilke they alwyas do. You're an optimist. Luckly for you the Packers are usually good. But you sound silly from time to time too. Maybe less so because your optimism is the reality, but if the Packer slump, the things you've said will look dumb too.

Not to rip ya, you've been a MVPoster lately, it's just that I know there were some good posters who liked the idea of Lynch and it wasn't that stupid after Grant went down.

mraynrand
02-04-2011, 11:01 AM

I had one of my best non-moves this morning - that's why I took the Exlax.

Guiness
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
The non-trade for Lynch worked out, but I still think it would have been a good idea to get him. At the time that he was available, it had become apparent that BJack wasn't going to cut it as a feature back, and there was no way anyone knew Starks was going to break out.

Don't forget that after a good game against SF, he did nothing in Detoit, then didn't have a carry against NE or NYG. Against the Giants, Jackson got the carries through the game, and Nance was used at the end to run out the clock. In week 17, Starks got the ball only 5 times.

Yes, he's been playing well since then, but I think it would be quite a stretch to say they were counting on him.

HarveyWallbangers
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
We'd be better right now and have a better chance win the SB with Lynch. I don't think the people who wanted Lynch were that far off. It's way more idiotic to have that on a top 5 list for Ted's moves.

Calling TT an idiot and saying we won't win the SB because of him and his style, yeah, that sounds pretty stupid now. But don't we all from time to time.

Before the 2005 season I remember being in a pissing match with you, HW, about how the Pack were in trouble. You aregued everything was fine and they'd win 10 or 12 games ilke they alwyas do. You're an optimist. Luckly for you the Packers are usually good. But you sound silly from time to time too. Maybe less so because your optimism is the reality, but if the Packer slump, the things you've said will look dumb too.

Not to rip ya, you've been a MVPoster lately, it's just that I know there were some good posters who liked the idea of Lynch and it wasn't that stupid after Grant went down.

Don't you think 2005 is a terrible example? We were ravaged by injuries that year. This year is rare by the Packers. No team with at least 15 players on IR has won more than 6 games in a season in the last 10 years or longer. That 2005 team was hit as hard by injuries as this year's team.

Not sure why people seem to feel the need to attack me the last few days. I'm not a blind homer. I'm generally an optimist, but I'm not afraid to say when I feel Thompson has made a mistake (like drafting Aaron Rodgers, not signing some FAs). I'm not afraid to call out McCarthy's poor play calling when it costs us a game. I'm not afraid to call out a player for having a bad game. I just feel like you can do those things without saying McCarthy or Thompson is a buffoon or genius (depending on the outcome). I feel like I'm pretty guarded and grounded. When you were wrongly hawking Mike Hawkins or correctly hawking Sam Shields, I took a wait and see approach. When some call James Jones a playmaker with Pro Bowl potential while others call him a spaz for messing up so much, I tend to take the middle view that he's a solid player that makes mistakes and is pretty comparable to Jordy Nelson.

mraynrand
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I just want to say, "Good luck, Starks, we're all counting on you"

http://chicagoist.com/attachments/stevenpate/2010_12_nielsen.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
02-04-2011, 11:51 AM
The non-trade for Lynch worked out, but I still think it would have been a good idea to get him. At the time that he was available, it had become apparent that BJack wasn't going to cut it as a feature back, and there was no way anyone knew Starks was going to break out.

Don't forget that after a good game against SF, he did nothing in Detoit, then didn't have a carry against NE or NYG. Against the Giants, Jackson got the carries through the game, and Nance was used at the end to run out the clock. In week 17, Starks got the ball only 5 times.

Yes, he's been playing well since then, but I think it would be quite a stretch to say they were counting on him.

I don't think Lynch would have provided enough of an upgrade to give up a third round pick for (his one miracle run notwithstanding). He's a JAG, and I'd rather take the chance at finding a Josh Sitton or Jermichael Finley with that third round pick (even at the risk of drafting a bust).

Guiness
02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't think Lynch would have provided enough of an upgrade to give up a third round pick for (his one miracle run notwithstanding). He's a JAG, and I'd rather take the chance at finding a Josh Sitton or Jermichael Finley with that third round pick (even at the risk of drafting a bust).

It all comes down to what you thought of the team at the time. Were we playing well enough to go to the playoffs, but missing a critical piece? Or was the season a write-off because of injuries. If you thought we had a shot at the playoffs, he certainly seemed to be an upgrade over what we had on the field at the time.

The problem with that thinking, of course, is that it can lead you to thinking we should also have traded for a TE to plug a hole when Finley went down, and OLB when Brad Jones went down, a safety when Burnett went down, and on and on and on. You dig a hole pretty quick.

mraynrand
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
The one thing we absolutely know is that TT won't give up a pick unless he thinks he's getting something better in return. And I agree with him that Luncheon Mints wasn't worth it.

Patler
02-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Sure, we didn't know, but Thompson had a feeling:

“I knew that he had a couple pretty good practices in a rookie mini-camp before he pulled a hamstring. Then he kept re-injuring during rehab all through the summer,” Packers executive vice president, general manager & director of football operations Ted Thompson said during Tuesday’s media day.

“We were hoping to get him in a preseason game but we couldn’t get him well. That was our only recourse. Once we were able to start practicing him he looked good. He was doing card plays against his own team but he looked good. He looked like if we needed a back-up in the stretch he was a better option than anyone that was on our emergency board. It was my contention, our best bet was to move him to the 53 (man roster) when that time expired and if he helped us down the stretch that would be a plus. There was no one else in our opinion on the emergency board that could help us the way he could," Thompson added.

Somewhat like jettisoning Favre in favor of the unproven Rodgers. Though he had seen little of him in person, TT felt Starks was a better answer than others, apparently including Lynch. Face it, for most of these players on other teams, the GM knows only what he sees on film. Other than the calibre of the competition, its not much different than what he knows about a college player.

HarveyWallbangers
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
It all comes down to what you thought of the team at the time. Were we playing well enough to go to the playoffs, but missing a critical piece? Or was the season a write-off because of injuries. If you thought we had a shot at the playoffs, he certainly seemed to be an upgrade over what we had on the field at the time.

The problem with that thinking, of course, is that it can lead you to thinking we should also have traded for a TE to plug a hole when Finley went down, and OLB when Brad Jones went down, a safety when Burnett went down, and on and on and on. You dig a hole pretty quick.

Seemed being the operative word. IMHO, if he was an upgrade, it wasn't enough of one to make a huge difference or worth giving up a third round pick for. I felt that at the time and feel that way even more now.

Cheesehead Craig
02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I can't believe people are still harping about Lynch. He did nothing outside of one run in the playoffs. Wasn't worth a 3rd then, isn't worth one now and would not have done anything to improve this team, IMO.

Patler
02-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Sure there can!

Other great non-moves by TT:

1. Not trading Wells last year. Even some writers said it "had" to be done when Spitz was named starter. Apparently TT shopped him a little, but didn't like what he was offered in return, so kept him. Just a few weeks later Wells was starting, and hasn't let go of the job since.

2. Not trading Hawk. Another move many called for. "Hawk for Lynch" was even mentioned in the papers as a done deal. When Hawk didn't play a down on defense in game #1, he looked like so much extra baggage.

Any others?

Fritz
02-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Thank you for saving this thread, Patler! (and me, too)

Other non-moves:

Not signing Igor Olshansky when the Pack went to the 3-4.

Not upping his trade offer for Randy Moss.

Guiness
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Sure there can!

Other great non-moves by TT:

1. Not trading Wells last year. Even some writers said it "had" to be done when Spitz was named starter. Apparently TT shopped him a little, but didn't like what he was offered in return, so kept him. Just a few weeks later Wells was starting, and hasn't let go of the job since.

2. Not trading Hawk. Another move many called for. "Hawk for Lynch" was even mentioned in the papers as a done deal. When Hawk didn't play a down on defense in game #1, he looked like so much extra baggage.

Any others?

Those are big ones for sure. Hawk for Lynch was something brought up a few times in the original thread that talked about him being available (which I can't find now) but where would we be without him?

Seems to me there's been talk about replacing Wells every year since he's been here, but he's done yeoman's work there.

Other good non-moves? Standing pat with two QB's on the roster, trusting that Flynn could do the job if needed. He's done that two years in a row now. Many said he should bring in a vet to back up Rodgers. That extra roster spot allowed us to keep another player that might otherwise have been picked up by another team, most likely a guy like Crabtree (4th TE coming out of camp...).

Guiness
02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Thank you for saving this thread, Patler! (and me, too)

Other non-moves:

Not signing Igor Olshansky when the Pack went to the 3-4.

Not upping his trade offer for Randy Moss.

Igor! Forgot about him. I take it he hasn't played very well?

Which time are you talking about with Moss??? I guess you could say 'both'.

Patler
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Other good non-moves? Standing pat with two QB's on the roster, trusting that Flynn could do the job if needed. He's done that two years in a row now. Many said he should bring in a vet to back up Rodgers. That extra roster spot allowed us to keep another player that might otherwise have been picked up by another team, most likely a guy like Crabtree (4th TE coming out of camp...).

That's another good one.

Smidgeon
02-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Those are big ones for sure. Hawk for Lynch was something brought up a few times in the original thread that talked about him being available (which I can't find now) but where would we be without him?

Seems to me there's been talk about replacing Wells every year since he's been here, but he's done yeoman's work there.

Wasn't Crabtree the fifth TE out of camp after Finley, Quarless, Lee, and Havner?

retailguy
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Not sure why people seem to feel the need to attack me the last few days. I'm not a blind homer. I'm generally an optimist, but I'm not afraid to say when I feel Thompson has made a mistake (like drafting Aaron Rodgers, not signing some FAs). I'm not afraid to call out McCarthy's poor play calling when it costs us a game. I'm not afraid to call out a player for having a bad game. I just feel like you can do those things without saying McCarthy or Thompson is a buffoon or genius (depending on the outcome). I feel like I'm pretty guarded and grounded. When you were wrongly hawking Mike Hawkins or correctly hawking Sam Shields, I took a wait and see approach. When some call James Jones a playmaker with Pro Bowl potential while others call him a spaz for messing up so much, I tend to take the middle view that he's a solid player that makes mistakes and is pretty comparable to Jordy Nelson.

Harv, I've met you, and you've met me. I know you, know you bleed green and gold and you know I do as well.

That being said, I believe that I could have written the above paragraph as something that I believe about me, and you'd have been critical of what I said.

What you've summarized is what has happened to this forum in the past year or so. It has finally happened to you. Not so much fun to have everything you post taken out of context and criticized, is it? It is why I don't post much anymore. I still read and think about what I read, but disagreeing just isn't worth it much anymore.

Patler
02-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Wasn't Crabtree the fifth TE out of camp after Finley, Quarless, Lee, and Havner?

No, Havner was cut and signed with Detroit. He played there for the first month or so, including against the Packers. He got hurt and was released by Detroit, and re-signed with GB. A couple weeks after that he was hurt again and sent to IR.

Smidgeon
02-04-2011, 05:09 PM
No, Havner was cut and signed with Detroit. He played there for the first month or so, including against the Packers. He got hurt and was released by Detroit, and re-signed with GB. A couple weeks after that he was hurt again and sent to IR.

I know that part. I just didn't remember at which stage he was cut.

sheepshead
02-04-2011, 05:13 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/match.jpg

Ted and David Byrne

And you may find yourself, managing a Superbowl team, and you may ask yourself MY GOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE

Fritz
02-04-2011, 05:20 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vMq1J9yGgdo/SKxiop2_95I/AAAAAAAAD9o/XGAhqH5aqnM/s400/crazy+eyes.jpg

Ted's sister???

VermontPackFan
02-08-2011, 10:58 AM
First off, congratulations to all you rabid, die hard fans!!

I know there are a couple of threads about Bush out there so I wont repeat what others have already said, but looking back, matching Tennessee's restricted FA offer to Bush 2-3 years ago has to rank in TT's top 10 moves doesnt it? It was a head scratcher back then but over the past 7 weeks he has become a ST star.

Smeefers
02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
First off, congratulations to all you rabid, die hard fans!!

I know there are a couple of threads about Bush out there so I wont repeat what others have already said, but looking back, matching Tennessee's restricted FA offer to Bush 2-3 years ago has to rank in TT's top 10 moves doesnt it? It was a head scratcher back then but over the past 7 weeks he has become a ST star.

I will gladly eat crow on Bush, he's turned into a pretty good ST player and is barely acceptable as a DB. He was worth the money TT put on the table. That being said, I think keeping Bush is a far cry from being a top 10 move by TT. Off the top of my head I can name 10 things that he did which were better.

Keeping rodgers rather than favre
getting raji
getting mathews
getting collins
getting woodson
getting sitton
getting Dom Capers
getting Grant
getting Finely
getting Jennings.

These are just the ones that are obviously better moves than keeping Bush.

MJZiggy
02-09-2011, 07:16 AM
I think M3 got Dom.

3irty1
02-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Clearly his best move was having the incredible insight to NOT sign Marshawn Lynch so that he could bounce the Saints from the playoffs and provide us with a chance to embarrass the Bears for eternity by beating them in their own home.

woodbuck27
02-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Well TT made several solid moves since he came to us and he 'of course' made some errors. It comes down to experience and confidence. He's gradually (-: ... grown into his position and although he often seemed to be over cautious. Now we may all agree he got there. He deserves alot of credit and we can be very pleased to look forward to more growth in his position as our team grows stronger.

Best move going over it all? I have to go with the pick of Aaron Rodgers. I also like his decision to bring Charles Woodson in and his draft picks of Greg Jennings, Ragi and Clay Matthews are huge as well. Early he picked an unknown in Nick Collins in the second round 2005 and I hoped he's pick Justin Tuck. Nick Collins has developed into a very solid safety and made a major contribution to our Super Bowl win lastbSunday. Jordy Nelson, another early round pick seems to be moving up as our #2 WR as DD enters the twilight of his long and excellent service to the team and community.

TT supplied MM with the personel that has gradually offered our QB a solid OL and the protection Aaron Rodgers needs to do his thing.

Best move. Having the opportunity and securing Aaron Rodgers.

GO Packers ! ... GO Ted Thompson !! He's 'the key player' in the Packer organization.

HarveyWallbangers
02-09-2011, 10:23 AM

I feel this way even more now. :)

VermontPackFan
02-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Clearly his best move was having the incredible insight to NOT sign Marshawn Lynch so that he could bounce the Saints from the playoffs and provide us with a chance to embarrass the Bears for eternity by beating them in their own home.

I like your thinking !

denverYooper
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Outstanding.

gbgary
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM

i like the lynch comment but the bears comment is just wrong. there's no embarrassment in losing to the...

SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!

MJZiggy
02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
i like the lynch comment but the bears comment is just wrong. there's no embarrassment in losing to the...

SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!

Just don't tell them that. Tell them they'd have won had they made it, but damn. They didn't. They failed. They lost. To us. And they may not have the opportunity for a do-over in our lifetimes.

RashanGary
02-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Ted did it his way even when people were so sure he would fail. Now everyone rightfully bows to him. It was a lot of moves but Aaron Rodgers is obviously #1. When he chose Aaron over Favre, people said there was no way Aaron was the better QB. The only explanation is ego because likeing Aaron the QB over Favre the QB was not possible. It's hard to compare back 15 years ago, but Rodgers is better than Favre has been in the last decade. Epic move. That's championship caliber foresight from a GM. Bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQiUJlRa0N8

Scott Campbell
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Well TT made several solid moves since he came to us and he 'of course' made some errors. It comes down to experience and confidence. He's gradually (-: ... grown into his position and although he often seemed to be over cautious. Now we may all agree he got there. He deserves alot of credit and we can be very pleased to look forward to more growth in his position as our team grows stronger.

Best move going over it all? I have to go with the pick of Aaron Rodgers. I also like his decision to bring Charles Woodson in and his draft picks of Greg Jennings, Ragi and Clay Matthews are huge as well. Early he picked an unknown in Nick Collins in the second round 2005 and I hoped he's pick Justin Tuck. Nick Collins has developed into a very solid safety and made a major contribution to our Super Bowl win lastbSunday. Jordy Nelson, another early round pick seems to be moving up as our #2 WR as DD enters the twilight of his long and excellent service to the team and community.

TT supplied MM with the personel that has gradually offered our QB a solid OL and the protection Aaron Rodgers needs to do his thing.

Best move. Having the opportunity and securing Aaron Rodgers.

GO Packers ! ... GO Ted Thompson !! He's 'the key player' in the Packer organization.

You said we'd never get to the Superbowl with Ted in charge. So this is obviously a major epiphany for you.

mission
02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
So this is obviously a major epiphany for you.

At what point does that actually happen?

- After the Atlanta game
- After the NFCCG
- After Collins scores in the SB
- After the 21-3 SB lead
- After the 4th and 5 falls incomplete
- After #12 does the final kneel down
- Monday after the SB

RashanGary
02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
At what point does that actually happen?

- After the Atlanta game
- After the NFCCG
- After Collins scores in the SB
- After the 21-3 SB lead
- After the 4th and 5 falls incomplete
- After #12 does the final kneel down
- Monday after the SB

I think with all Ted haters, the moment 4th and 5 falls incomplete is the moment they realize Ted has done a great job and is right up there with the best in the business at what he does. Before that, had we lost, they would have said Ted's way doesn't work, sure he got us close, but he's not the GM we need to make us a true winner. In spite of all evidence showing this team is high and on teh rise, they were set in their ways believing he couldn't do it.

For the rest of us, with the not so stubborn/closed minds, this wasn't a big surprise. The signs were there the whole time, even when they couldn't see them. I'll say though, it happening this year with all of the injuries, that surprised me a lot. Ted's better than I thought too.

gbgary
02-10-2011, 08:36 PM
people could argue before this season, and maybe some during this season, that TT wasn't a great gm (i had my doubts in the past)...but with all that's been done...everone, to a man, has to agree that he's been brilliant. there should be streets named Wolf and Thompson in Green Bay too.

ND72
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Gary...that is the best picture, maybe better than Reggie white for a person my age.

pbmax
02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Gary...that is the best picture, maybe better than Reggie white for a person my age.

I was wondering how they got that trophy out of his hands. I bet they had to have his wife sneak it out after he fell asleep.

vince
02-11-2011, 07:09 AM
It seems like just yesterday when ol' Tightwad Teddy The Turtle was doing nothing more than recycling the bottom of the roster.

Fritz
02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
It seems like just yesterday when ol' Tightwad Teddy The Turtle was doing nothing more than recycling the bottom of the roster.

Ah, good times, good times. And all he cared about really, was 1) not keeping any players he personally did not pick, and 2) having the youngest team in the league.

Glad the man is getting his due.

And just think, the next Packer star may be among the backwash free agents the Packers just signed...

Joemailman
02-11-2011, 05:31 PM
It's just not going to seem like the offseason without talk about what free agents TT should sign.

ThunderDan
02-11-2011, 07:34 PM

That picture sucks! And so does Joe the Mailmans!

I don't know who posters are anymore when they change their avatars. I actually have to do a double take to figure out who it is!!!

Actual, I really like the picture just not for gbgary!

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't know who posters are anymore when they change their avatars. I actually have to do a double take to figure out who it is!!!

Says the guy without an avarter. :)

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Silverstein agrees with me. :)

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/116018299.html#

Thompson has taken a great deal of abuse during his tenure for sticking to a strict plan of building the team through the draft and ignoring free agency. Aside from the addition of cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive lineman Ryan Pickett, Thompson has not ventured far from his draft-building philosophy.

His decision to take quarterback Aaron Rodgers with his very first draft selection in 2005 turned out to be the best move he ever made, and when it came time to pick between Rodgers and Packers legend Brett Favre in '08, Thompson chose Rodgers.

pbmax
02-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Silverstein agrees with me. :)

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/116018299.html#

That's actually a point against you Harv. :)

"Spoon" is a decent reporter, not as good a football analyst.

pbmax
02-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Ah, good times, good times. And all he cared about really, was 1) not keeping any players he personally did not pick, and 2) having the youngest team in the league.

Glad the man is getting his due.

And just think, the next Packer star may be among the backwash free agents the Packers just signed...

Don't forget, he just wants to be competitive, not actually win playoff games. That's not his goal.

Which reminds me, has wist surfaced after hyperventilating when the lead got down to 4 points?

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2011, 11:50 PM

Touche!

vince
02-12-2011, 05:16 AM

I was just gonna say the same thing.