PDA

View Full Version : Dynasty

RashanGary
01-29-2011, 09:02 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/114876244.html

Bob McGinn wrote an article about how powerful this current Packer team looks going forward. Last season a personnel man for one of the 4 remaining teams (hint, McGinn is plugged into Bill Polian) said he thought last years Packers were the best team in the league (even though the Saints ended up winning the SB and we got knocked off). This year we're still at the top of the league in talent. McGinn talks about how young they are, how set they are at important positions. How this team, unlike the 96 team is built to win several championships.

Ted Thompson might be the next Packer legend, bringing multiple championships to title town.

pbmax
01-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Between this, the Photo and the plastered on the Packer's website plan for a party on Feb 8 at Lambeau for a possible Super Bowl party, I think all of Packerdom has given up on the possibility of the jinx.

Now that no one is worried, somehow, I am . :)

swede
01-29-2011, 09:11 PM
We'll always have Chicago.

retailguy
01-29-2011, 09:24 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/114876244.html

Bob McGinn wrote an article about how powerful this current Packer team looks going forward. Last season a personnel man for one of the 4 remaining teams (hint, McGinn is plugged into Bill Polian) said he thought last years Packers were the best team in the league (even though the Saints ended up winning the SB and we got knocked off). This year we're still at the top of the league in talent. McGinn talks about how young they are, how set they are at important positions. How this team, unlike the 96 team is built to win several championships.

Ted Thompson might be the next Packer legend, bringing multiple championships to title town.

Um... Don'tcha think we could slowwww the dynasty talk down just a bit? we still have some unfinished business to attend to!

RashanGary
01-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Write that to McGinn. He's the one, after talking to personnel guys and with all of his Superbowl knowledge after writing his book that suggested Packer fans can start thinking dynasty. The roster and organization stability says so.

I happen to follow his logic. They look poised for 5 years of great football.

retailguy
01-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Write that to McGinn. He's the one, after talking to personnel guys and with all of his Superbowl knowledge after writing his book that suggested Packer fans can start thinking dynasty. The roster and organization stability says so.

I happen to follow his logic. They look poised for 5 years of great football.

I will write it to McGinn. If we win, I think I just might agree with you. If we don't, the loss could set this team back for longer than a year. Losing is devastating, and the resulting after effects won't be pretty.

I believe in this team, and I believe they can win, let's not jinx it!

ND72
01-29-2011, 09:51 PM
There was conversation on NFL network and espn about this. Both networks talked about how thompson has built and will continue to grow this team into what we would consider a modern day dynasty. We might not win 4 of the next 5 superbowls, but could win a few, aka, new England early 2000s.

RashanGary
01-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Next Sundays game is huge. It would be great to see Driver, Woodson, Clifton, McCarthy and everyone else celebrating. They've worked hard. They've earned it.

SMBASS
01-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I agree that it's way too early to be talking about a dynasty when they haven't won a darn thing. What was it Wolf said about the 96-97 team after they won S.B. #31 and then lost #32...." I guess this team was just a fart in the wind." or something along those lines. We haven't even reached that lofty status yet!

I think this team has a great chance to be very competative and have a shot at the brass ring each year for a while going forward but it takes some luck and other factors to fall in place to get to the big dance...let alone win it. There's a reason why G.B. is the 10th different NFC team in a row to get Super Bowl.

Lurker64
01-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Next Sundays game is huge.

Wait, the Superbowl is huge now? When did this happen?

RashanGary
01-29-2011, 09:55 PM
There was conversation on NFL network and espn about this. Both networks talked about how thompson has built and will continue to grow this team into what we would consider a modern day dynasty. We might not win 4 of the next 5 superbowls, but could win a few, aka, new England early 2000s.

3 with one QB or one coach is a dynasty. That's a long ways out, but the Packers are the most talented team in the league and damn near the youngest. And they put a lot of contracts in the uncapped year and don't have any dead money. They're in great cap shape too. The whole thing looks amazing. MM has to get everything out of it. I think it's there.

Packers4Glory
01-29-2011, 10:01 PM
shit. I've already brought up this point. This team is positioned to have a mini NE type dynasty where they could dominate for several seasons make a few SB trips. Of course they had one of the all time great coaches to lead them, but the talent on this Packer team is 2nd to none. This team is loaded.

Fritz
01-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Man, they haven't won a single Super Bowl in what, 13 years? Little early for this shizz.

I would agree that Thompson has the team positioned to be a contender for the next several years - and that it would be a shame if there were a lockout next year...

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 08:41 AM
JINX! JINX! JINX! Stop this crazy talk!

http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/jack-byrnes-and-mr-jinx.jpg

Scott Campbell
01-30-2011, 08:49 AM
http://media.jsonline.com/images/packcover12911.jpg

Scott Campbell
01-30-2011, 08:54 AM
If we don't, the loss could set this team back for longer than a year. Losing is devastating, and the resulting after effects won't be pretty.

I don't buy that. This team wasn't built to be a one hit wonder.

The bigger issue is the work stoppage. That could kill momentum a lot more effectively than a Superbowl loss. Teams like the Packers and the Lions have to be chomping at the bit to play again next year because they're so well set up.

mmmdk
01-30-2011, 08:55 AM

IR player on that snazzy poster?...c'mon be fair... :lol:

Joemailman
01-30-2011, 09:02 AM

Hey! How did Finley get in that picture? :lol::lol:

bobblehead
01-30-2011, 10:03 AM
JINX! JINX! JINX! Stop this crazy talk!

http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/jack-byrnes-and-mr-jinx.jpg

And you thought I was bad....

bobblehead
01-30-2011, 10:05 AM

Ok, want to be confident for the future....what is the average age of the players on that picture?

RashanGary
01-30-2011, 10:06 AM
25 years old. That's why McGinn compares them to a young Dallas team. They're loaded with talent and they're young.

Smidgeon
01-30-2011, 10:18 AM
IR player on that snazzy poster?...c'mon be fair... :lol:

I was just thinking that too. It's a Super Bowl poster with a player who was only in 1/4 of the regular season games?

Scott Campbell
01-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I'd rather be on that poster than in the team photo.

RashanGary
01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
I was just thinking that too. It's a Super Bowl poster with a player who was only in 1/4 of the regular season games?

That wasn't a SB poster. That poster represented McGinn's claim that this Packer team is bigger than 2010/2011. This team has dynasty style lasting power. McGinn spent a lot of time researching the SB winning teams when he wrote his SB book. I'd say his opinion carries a little weight here, not to mention it makes sense.

Tarlam!
01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
I believe in this team, and I believe they can win, let's not jinx it!

This team is so jinxed already and we all know it. No friggin' way they win. At least we had Chicago.

Cheesehead Craig
01-30-2011, 11:20 AM

True that!

mmmdk
01-30-2011, 12:11 PM

:lol:

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 12:48 PM

Score!

BTW, how come Rodgers is wearing his thin little helmet instead of the Great Gazoo extra-large padded helmet? They got every tat mark on TGIFinley correct! I want authenticity!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JbcW7ewATGo/TJF2WRHS8wI/AAAAAAAACuE/ainl6g8gNW0/s1600/gazoo.jpg

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
This team is so jinxed already and we all know it. No friggin' way they win. At least we had Chicago.

Jinxed? Nope! This team needs to win this game to make up for all the horrible luck has had the last couple years really starting in 08. This team NEEDS this win and I think they get it! Go pack Go!

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Ya know, McGinn may be right. This recent picture of Ted Thomson has me drinking the Dynasty Kool Aide

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20100402/425.ab.Dynasty.Forsythe.040210.jpg

Freak Out
01-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Ha ha ha! Linda's been hiding in Ted's closet though.

Tarlam!
01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Jinxed? Nope! This team needs to win this game to make up for all the horrible luck has had the last couple years really starting in 08. This team NEEDS this win and I think they get it! Go pack Go!

This is feeling a lot like San Diego. No way they win.

Patler
01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Wow. Talk about an article that puts the cart before the horse!

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2011, 01:45 PM

Yep......Need to win this game before you can even START to talk about a potential dynasty.

Scott Campbell
01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Screw it. I'm starting now. Dynasty.

rbaloha1
01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Since Favre's departure the dynasty started.

Keeping Capers is the key.

easy cheesy
01-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Yes we will... right by the short and "Curly's" (sorry, I couldn't resist )... :cow:

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2011, 02:45 PM
This is feeling a lot like San Diego. No way they win.

???

easy cheesy
01-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Between this, the Photo and the plastered on the Packer's website plan for a party on Feb 8 at Lambeau for a possible Super Bowl party, I think all of Packerdom has given up on the possibility of the jinx.

I fall into that "somehow, I am" category too... I just wish "the day" were here already. I want to put this one to bed so that I may unleash all of my pent up anxiety into one HUGE exhaustive and ebullient exhibition of excessive exuberance...... ahhhh.... elation and ecstasy... period at the end of the sentence... DONE... PLEASE!!!

Bretsky
01-30-2011, 03:08 PM

you guys are all putting some un necessary pressue on the power of the whammy !!!

Tarlam!
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
you guys are all putting some un necessary pressue on the power of the whammy !!!

We are all staring one humungous hangover down the barrell. Celebrate being NFC Champs, but for crying out loud, stop this shit!!!!

pbmax
01-30-2011, 03:19 PM

He had to get this one in before the Super Bowl. Because if they lose, he needs someone to blame. And since Thompson seems closer to untouchable, McCarthy is going to take the body blows if the result is disappointment.

pbmax
01-30-2011, 03:20 PM
I fall into that "somehow, I am" category too... I just wish "the day" were here already. I want to put this one to bed so that I may unleash all of my pent up anxiety into one HUGE exhaustive and ebullient exhibition of excessive exuberance...... ahhhh.... elation and ecstasy... period at the end of the sentence... DONE... PLEASE!!!

I hope you had as much fun with that as I had with reading it. :)

Joemailman
01-30-2011, 03:30 PM
He had to get this one in before the Super Bowl. Because if they lose, he needs someone to blame. And since Thompson seems closer to untouchable, McCarthy is going to take the body blows if the result is disappointment.

TT's not untouchable if Jeremy Kapinos beats us.

pbmax
01-30-2011, 03:32 PM
I am stunned the premature party notice on the Packer website hasn't gotten more attention. Its idiotic. And now all the coaches are talking about job openings and interviews.

Time to bring Ari Fleischer back in. I hope McCarthy puts the clamps on this crap before leaving for Dallas.

JSO had a story up about Perry and Moss interviewing for jobs, etc. The address was: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114901839.html
with a time stamp of 3:00 PM. Its gone now.

Freak Out
01-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Who's behind the wheel in GB now? The game is a week away and were talking dynasties and the club is posting monuments to the everlasting glory of the teams victory.

Freak Out
01-30-2011, 03:52 PM
???

Denver. We were guaranteed a win.

Joemailman
01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I suspect it's gone because it was probably inaccurate. There's been a lot of talk about teams wanting to interview Packer coaches, especially Perry, but I doubt MM gave permission while the team is preparing for the Super Bowl.

Joemailman
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Who's behind the wheel in GB now? The game is a week away and were talking dynasties and the club is posting monuments to the everlasting glory of the teams victory.

What are they supposed to do? Tell McGinn what he can and can't write about?

Freak Out
01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
What are they supposed to do? Tell McGinn what he can and can't write about?

I'm talking more to the team picture snafu and Packerrats. :)

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Denver. We were guaranteed a win.

I don't think most people see us going to Dallas and destorying the Steelers. Most people are calling for a close game. This is a hard game to call really. Which packer offense will show up? The inconsistant one we have seen most of the year or the one at ATL? Will we be able to stop the run and Big Ben? This is no way an easy game and I would even favor the Steelers b/c of there experience. I still think we will win a close game! God willing. Go pack Go!

Joemailman
01-30-2011, 04:28 PM
I am stunned the premature party notice on the Packer website hasn't gotten more attention. Its idiotic. And now all the coaches are talking about job openings and interviews.

Time to bring Ari Fleischer back in. I hope McCarthy puts the clamps on this crap before leaving for Dallas.

JSO had a story up about Perry and Moss interviewing for jobs, etc. The address was: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114901839.html
with a time stamp of 3:00 PM. Its gone now.

It's back up now. Perry said he hasn't been contacted. Moss did more talking, especially about how coaches of teams in the playoffs can't interview for coaching positions.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114901839.html

bobblehead
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Screw it. I'm starting now. Dynasty.

Yep, I tried to defend my position by saying things like maybe, and unlikely, but I'm calling it here. We are going to make AT LEAST 3 more super bowls in the next 6 years. Dynasty I say!!!! There, I am going out on a limb. Bookmark it and face me later if necessary.

bobblehead
01-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Personally I will blame the Pittsburg steelers...at least I hope so, I would hate to lose because our players do something stupid, I would rather get beat by another great team....and Pittsburg is ALREADY a dynasty right now in case no one noticed. Losing to them won't necessarily mean that we are not....it will just mean we have to wait our turn.

easy cheesy
01-30-2011, 05:55 PM
I hope you had as much fun with that as I had with reading it. :)

HAH! Absotootly.... I'm working on getting to my Zen "schwing" place.... :five:

swede
01-30-2011, 06:09 PM
I would even favor the Steelers b/c of there experience.

This is a good angle for Bretsky to look into.

pbmax
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm talking more to the team picture snafu and Packerrats. :)

I think McCarthy will clamp down in the meeting before traveling to Dallas. There will be attempts through Wednesday/Thursday to bring it all back up, but I think the team is capable of resisting.

Please. Please. Please.

I don't think its a jinx at all, but just concentrate on the task at hand. 7 more days boys.

Smidgeon
01-30-2011, 08:57 PM
That wasn't a SB poster. That poster represented McGinn's claim that this Packer team is bigger than 2010/2011. This team has dynasty style lasting power. McGinn spent a lot of time researching the SB winning teams when he wrote his SB book. I'd say his opinion carries a little weight here, not to mention it makes sense.

Ah... Makes sense then.

In that case, what are the odds of JF going all TO?

Smidgeon
01-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Since Favre's departure the dynasty started.

Keeping Capers is the key.

Well, Trgovac's staying. Say hello to a dominant defensive line for the foreseeable future...

esoxx
01-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Yeah, that must be it.

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 09:37 PM
The bar has been raised. I think this should be a minimum 6-peat.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4171/saturday-night-live-bill-swerkskis-super-fans

esoxx
01-30-2011, 09:41 PM
http://redriverautographs.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/x66161132682744048.jpg

pbmax
01-30-2011, 09:42 PM
http://redriverautographs.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/x66161132682744048.jpg

John Derek definitely had a type.

RashanGary
01-31-2011, 06:25 AM
FUN

BORING

Um... Don'tcha think we could slowwww the dynasty talk down just a bit? we still have some unfinished business to attend to!

This is a forum where we openly hope for good things to happen. We spot trends (the Packers elite level of young talent) and speculate about what it might mean for the future. It's fun. At the same time, we also have anxiety and hope for hte game in front of us. We're not on the 53. The team doesn't lose when we look ahead. Fans mistake that a lot of the time, like we have to stay focused liek the players. Not true, not fun, not gonna happen.

RashanGary
01-31-2011, 06:33 AM
You should know something about looking like an idiot in hindsight, mraynrand. Aren't you the one who's consistently doubted Thompson's ability to win primarily with the draft? Yeah, I distinctly remember that. Except unlike those Bears guys up there having fun, you were being a boring, cynical dick. Not much fun if you ask me. Life's not about being wrong the least amount of time. It's about having fun. Plus, when you cut at people who hope for the future, they might remember your wrongs a little more and point them out. Put yourself out there. It'll be better for everyone, including yourself.

RashanGary
01-31-2011, 06:36 AM
The difference between hoping for the best and doubting it is HarveyWallbangers and mraynrand. It's Winnie the Pooh and Eyeore. It's Spongebob and Squidward. And the former is never as dumb as the latter thinks. It might just be the opposite.

Bossman641
01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
JH, give it a rest. Posts like this personally singling out others is unnecessary. Are there some who have been wrong? Yes. Are there some who I personally believe hoped the Packers and TT would fail just to prove themselves right? Yes. Everybody is on the bandwagon now though. Better to just leave it alone.

gbgary
01-31-2011, 09:38 AM
what an evil thread. delete it now before the gods notice. tomorrow is media day!

3irty1
01-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Dynasty is always greedy no matter how bright the future looks. The '85 Bears were the youngest team in the league, if that dynasty never happened ours might not either.

mraynrand
01-31-2011, 10:17 AM
You should know something about looking like an idiot in hindsight, mraynrand. Aren't you the one who's consistently doubted Thompson's ability to win primarily with the draft? Yeah, I distinctly remember that. Except unlike those Bears guys up there having fun, you were being a boring, cynical dick. Not much fun if you ask me. Life's not about being wrong the least amount of time. It's about having fun. Plus, when you cut at people who hope for the future, they might remember your wrongs a little more and point them out. Put yourself out there. It'll be better for everyone, including yourself.

Yep, that's me. Ted Thompson hater, doubter, cynic, who doesn't like to have fun. After almost 11,000 posts, you sure have me pegged.

RashanGary
01-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Nobody's counting chickens here either. Bob McGinn wasn't. The most optimistic optimist in this thread wasn't. We're looking at talent, coaching stability and organizational stability and the fact that they're in the SB this year with everything going wrong and getting excited about where the arrows are pointed.

Suggesting people are counting chickens from eggs is an age old way to call someone unwise. It's funny how wrong all of the wise people around here tend to be. I just figured I'd point that out in the new age way of just saying it.

I think I came off a little more pissed than I meant to.

mraynrand
01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Nobody's counting chickens here either. Bob McGinn wasn't. The most optimistic optimist in this thread wasn't. We're looking at talent, coaching stability and organizational stability and the fact that they're in the SB this year with everything going wrong and getting excited about where the arrows are pointed.

Suggesting people are counting chickens from eggs is an age old way to call someone unwise. It's funny how wrong all of the wise people around here tend to be. I just figured I'd point that out in the new age way of just saying it.

We're very lucky to have you here to help us understand how things really work. You're a blessing to all the cynical dicks in the world.

mission
01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Dynasty is always greedy no matter how bright the future looks. The '85 Bears were the youngest team in the league, if that dynasty never happened ours might not either.

They didn't have Aaron Rodgers. Anything could happen (or not).

:)

mission
01-31-2011, 11:28 AM
We're very lucky to have you here to help us understand how things really work. You're a blessing to all the cynical dicks in the world.

To be fair, I *do* like JH's general message there. Getting personal with you - and taking it as far as he did - is not necessary but I do agree that fans should be able to speculate on any and all things. That's the what makes the ride so fun. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

Two years ago we were debating on whether AR was a starting QB and some argued that he was an ELITE QB ... point is, there's really nothing to be gained from those conversations besides entertainment, but 'cart before the horse' and all that shouldn't really be part of the equation for active fans such as ourselves.

mraynrand
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
I do agree that fans should be able to speculate on any and all things. That's the what makes the ride so fun. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

I agree. The irony is that the 'da bers' skit, in which the guys talk about an "8 peat, minimum" - was pretty on the ball, wasn't it? 6 championships with a 2 year hiatus for Jordan. I guess these finer points are lost on those quick with 'flaccid' insults. It's fun to speculate and hope for multiple championships, but at the same time experience tells you it's unlikely. That's why when and if it happens it's incredibly sweet. I'm not too worried about JH - he's just an ostensibly pugnacious but vapid and vacuous incohate hotspur - but he'll grow out of it. In the meantime, he's just another poster for the ignore list.

red
01-31-2011, 12:42 PM
The bar has been raised. I think this should be a minimum 6-peat.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4171/saturday-night-live-bill-swerkskis-super-fans

one of my all time favorite skits

i find it absolutely amazing when you think about it. the bulls had just won their first title, and the one guy jokingly said "we're talking about a minimum 8-peat". and everyone laughs

well jordan and the bulls won the title 6 out of 8 years, the only years they didn't win it was the season and a half jordan spent playing baseball. if jordans dad hadn't been killed, then he wouldn't have retired for the first time, and if that doesn't happen, then the bulls very well could have done an 8-peat

Guiness
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
It's back up now. Perry said he hasn't been contacted. Moss did more talking, especially about how coaches of teams in the playoffs can't interview for coaching positions.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114901839.html

Didn't like the way Moss answered the questions, looks like he's looking for an opportunity to bolt.

I was surprised only an HC offer is considered a promotion. I would've thought going from a position coach to a co-ordinator job (OC or DC) would be considered a promotion.

It does kind of suck the way coaches on teams that are out of the playoffs can interview and fill open positions, while those still in the playoffs can not. I think Moss is wrong though, the answer is not to have a time period where they can interview. You need to prepare for an interview like that, so the prep time would take time away from coaching duties.

They should just say that there is no interviewing until the season is over. There's no reason to need to get someone in place 3 weeks earlier.

Tarlam!
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Too bad for me, I can't see the video outside of the USA.

As far as the topic is concerned, I can understand why posters are thinking/hoping/praying dynasty. The ingredients to be great for a long time are here, but not certain. If one or two coaches get hired away, some chemistry will go with them.

If Finley goes all TO, chemistry changes. If CMIII wants an early pay rise, chemistry changes. If they can't find another Bulaga to replace Cliffy, chemistry changes. I'm still not convinced College belongs in a Dynasty-like OL. Nor do I believe Campen is a coach for a Dynasty-like OL.

Age is on the Packers' side, but DD is no spring chicken. Neither is Woodson. They are both leaders, on-field coaches that are one play away from a career-ending injury maybe. See Al Harris. You can possibly replace their skills (Williams, Shields), but what about their locker room presence? Their aura in the huddle?

All this, plus the fact that we don't even know what the trade talks will produce. And, did anyone mention those other 31 teams that also have an interest in a Packer non-Dynasty? Have we all forgotten the divisional record this season? Lemme remind you: losses against Chicago and Detroit, and they were lucky to beat Detroit in the first game. And, despite the win last week, see the second half as evidence that they were lucky to win it.

Dynasty? I'm not seeing it. I'll take this Super Bowl win if they get it, rather than the two in the bush if they don't.

Tarlam!
01-31-2011, 01:46 PM
This is what I'm talking about: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ddcfc5/article/report-palmer-might-retire-if-bengals-dont-grant-trade-request

Palmer wants out of Cinnci. The guy has been synonomous with that ball club for how long? Now, I'm not suggesting the Bengals are in danger of becoming a Dynasty, but it highlights my point. We fans just don't know what makes these players tic. Why Palmer wants out isn't stipulated, but, I for one, didn't see this coming.

RashanGary
01-31-2011, 02:04 PM
We'll see how it pans out. Young talent, coaching stablity, organizational stability. They have all of the ingredients. That's what has so many Packer fans excited about not only this Sunday, but for the foreseeable future as well. There are 3 eggs in the nest and they started to move a little. We're excited that the chicks might hatch. Could something bad happen? Sure. Is it exciting that everything seems to be going according to plan? Absolutely. That's being a Packer fan. It's fun.

Tarlam!
01-31-2011, 02:10 PM
That's being a Packer fan. It's fun.

I haven't been a Packer fan as long as everybody on this board. I bet I have as much fun as you all, though! Great feeling waking up each morning and bleeding G&G!!

Fritz
01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
You wake up bleeding, Tar, and you think it feels great?

I heard you Aussies were tough.

mraynrand
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
one of my all time favorite skits

i find it absolutely amazing when you think about it. the bulls had just won their first title, and the one guy jokingly said "we're talking about a minimum 8-peat". and everyone laughs

well jordan and the bulls won the title 6 out of 8 years, the only years they didn't win it was the season and a half jordan spent playing baseball. if jordans dad hadn't been killed, then he wouldn't have retired for the first time, and if that doesn't happen, then the bulls very well could have done an 8-peat

Yup. Sometimes the most optimistic folks are right!

Fritz
01-31-2011, 02:41 PM
If I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and ten minutes later I have to go again, is that a Pee-Peat?

vince
01-31-2011, 03:01 PM
We'll see how it pans out. Young talent, coaching stablity, organizational stability. They have all of the ingredients. That's what has so many Packer fans excited about not only this Sunday, but for the foreseeable future as well. There are 3 eggs in the nest and they started to move a little. We're excited that the chicks might hatch. Could something bad happen? Sure. Is it exciting that everything seems to be going according to plan? Absolutely. That's being a Packer fan. It's fun.
x2

Scott Campbell
01-31-2011, 03:14 PM
.....he's just an ostensibly pugnacious but vapid and vacuous incohate hotspur ..........

I have no idea what that even means. But I might use it on Woody anyway.

bobblehead
01-31-2011, 08:58 PM
I loved the bears skit, and I agree, anything can happen. I think if Wolf had stayed on, and Holmgren would have been cool as coach, we may have one another, or made a couple more at least.

I think that only 2 things can hurt us.

1) MM and/or TT retire or something like that
2) Somehow the new collective bargaining agreement makes it impossible for us to keep the core of the team together.

Oh, and 3) Rodgers is so prone to concussions or some other ailment he can't be our QB of the future.

mraynrand
01-31-2011, 09:24 PM
I loved the bears skit, and I agree, anything can happen. I think if Wolf had stayed on, and Holmgren would have been cool as coach, we may have one another, or made a couple more at least.

2) Somehow the new collective bargaining agreement makes it impossible for us to keep the core of the team together.

Oh, and 3) Rodgers is so prone to concussions or some other ailment he can't be our QB of the future.

It's amazing how a Dynasty can hinge on little things. Take Gilbert Brown. If he doesn't get hurt at SF in the Divisional round in '95, perhaps he's a better run stopper at Dallas. If Tampa Bay and Indy don't deliberately cut block and injure him twice in '97, perhaps he doesn't get gassed and is more effective against Denver in SBXXXII.

Also, in SB XXXII, tied 24-24, Favre overthrows Freeman, but just a few plays later, he has Brooks wide open, and his arm gets hit slightly just at the last second to hold the ball up just enough for the safety to close the distance - otherwise it's 31-24 Pack. The difference between Dynasty and 'Fart in the Wind.' Life can be very unfair (at least from our perspective!).

MadtownPacker
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
JH you are a dumbass for talking stupid shit but I agree, what is the point of this place if you cant dream big or sink low? With that said I think a dynasty is gonna be harder and harder to have in today's NFL. For all you know the Packers end up like Marino's Dolphins going up against one of the best teams of their decade and never get back. I dont think so but a dynasty seems unlikely for any team not just this one.

Freak Out
01-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Fucking buzz kill.

mraynrand
01-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Fucking buzz kill.

But those little things can go our way too. perhaps now is that time!!

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/arnold_pot.jpg.jpeg

RashanGary
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
JH you are a dumbass for talking stupid shit but I agree, what is the point of this place if you cant dream big or sink low? With that said I think a dynasty is gonna be harder and harder to have in today's NFL. For all you know the Packers end up like Marino's Dolphins going up against one of the best teams of their decade and never get back. I dont think so but a dynasty seems unlikely for any team not just this one.

Warren Buffet got rich buying and selling stocks. He researched, found companies the thought were undervalued based on the real value rather than the actual price. The actual price of teh Packers is a 10-6 team that hasn't won the SB. Bob McGinn knows a little something about value though. He's done more research on SB winning teams and dynasties than everyone in this thread combined and he looks at the actual value of what's happening. Dominant young talent, check. Likely coaching stability (capers/MM), check. Organizational stability (TT/Murphy), check. LIke Warren Buffet, Bob McGinn is buying now. Do either of them know if any investment is going to pay off? No. Dynasties are tough, but the Packers have all the incredients of one. That's exciting. That's what we're saying. That's what McGinn is saying, I think anyway.

Patler
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM

#3 above has me concerned. Many athletes have had concussion significantly impact their careers. The first concussion didn't worry me too much, but a second one so soon did. Running is a big part of Rodgers game, and he gets hit in the pocket more than Favre, who perfected the ability to throw while drifting backward away from rushing linemen. Rodgers is likely to take a few big hits every year.

Cheesehead Craig
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
This is what I'm talking about: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ddcfc5/article/report-palmer-might-retire-if-bengals-dont-grant-trade-request

Palmer wants out of Cinnci. The guy has been synonomous with that ball club for how long? Now, I'm not suggesting the Bengals are in danger of becoming a Dynasty, but it highlights my point. We fans just don't know what makes these players tic. Why Palmer wants out isn't stipulated, but, I for one, didn't see this coming.

The Bungles have been a dysfunctional mess for a long time. Palmer finally saying enough isn't a surprise to me at all. There's been season-long questions about his ability and he just needs to leave.

I do see your point, but this wasn't the best example to illustrate it.

swede
02-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Let's hope Palmer stays away from the NFC North.

bobblehead
02-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Warren Buffet got rich buying and selling stocks. He researched, found companies the thought were undervalued based on the real value rather than the actual price. The actual price of teh Packers is a 10-6 team that hasn't won the SB. Bob McGinn knows a little something about value though. He's done more research on SB winning teams and dynasties than everyone in this thread combined and he looks at the actual value of what's happening. Dominant young talent, check. Likely coaching stability (capers/MM), check. Organizational stability (TT/Murphy), check. LIke Warren Buffet, Bob McGinn is buying now. Do either of them know if any investment is going to pay off? No. Dynasties are tough, but the Packers have all the incredients of one. That's exciting. That's what we're saying. That's what McGinn is saying, I think anyway.

Just a quick correction for the finance people here. Warren Buffet got rich buying and HOLDING stocks. He is a huge advocate of NOT playing the buy and sell game. Take that lesson with you since you are young. Get into good mutual funds and don't think you are smarter than the market.

mraynrand
02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Hopefully CMIII puts the 'Die Nasty' into 'Dynasty.' Go Claymaker!

swede
02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Hopefully CMIII puts the 'Die Nasty' into 'Dynasty.' Go Claymaker!:satan::-)

RashanGary
02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Just a quick correction for the finance people here. Warren Buffet got rich buying and HOLDING stocks. He is a huge advocate of NOT playing the buy and sell game. Take that lesson with you since you are young. Get into good mutual funds and don't think you are smarter than the market.

I have Fidelity. Our company does actually. Clark Howard (I don't really listen to him but a buddy of mine pointed me to him and I gave it a try) Anyway, Clark Howard really likes Fidelity. They have funds in 5 year increments of when you're going to retire. I split mine between the two that are closed to when I expect to retire (age 65 cuz I want to stay more agressive, can always retire earlier). It's really been working out well so far. I have my first year of retirement saved, woo hoo!!

pbmax
02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
... Posts ... personally singling out others is unnecessary. Are there some who have been wrong? Yes. Are there some who I personally believe hoped the Packers and TT would fail just to prove themselves right? Yes. Everybody is on the bandwagon now though. Better to just leave it alone.

werd

edits in quote are pbmax's

pbmax
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM

werder

pbmax
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
I agree. The irony is that the 'da bers' skit, in which the guys talk about an "8 peat, minimum" - was pretty on the ball, wasn't it? 6 championships with a 2 year hiatus for Jordan. I guess these finer points are lost on those quick with 'flaccid' insults. It's fun to speculate and hope for multiple championships, but at the same time experience tells you it's unlikely. That's why when and if it happens it's incredibly sweet ....

werdest

edit are pbmax's

bobblehead
02-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I have Fidelity. Our company does actually. Clark Howard (I don't really listen to him but a buddy of mine pointed me to him and I gave it a try) Anyway, Clark Howard really likes Fidelity. They have funds in 5 year increments of when you're going to retire. I split mine between the two that are closed to when I expect to retire (age 65 cuz I want to stay more agressive, can always retire earlier). It's really been working out well so far. I have my first year of retirement saved, woo hoo!!

Any of those 20xx funds are great for people with 401k's or self managed IRA's. Stick with it and listen to dave ramsey as well.

Freak Out
02-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Vanguard funds.

mraynrand
02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
This thread is starting to blow

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/LIVING/personal/03/12/clark.howard.unemployment/art.clark.howard.hln.jpg